the Rift

Artric Smiles, Sweet Warm Memories

Zkoili Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Luna was high up, shining down upon his lone embodiment in the dark. He chuckled at something that amused him, not caring much to whatever it happened to be. It is good-hearted, warm, and welcoming. A smile is painted across his face, indigo eyes gleaming with joy that seems unnatural. Starlight lights him up, cascading over a blue roan body. The rips of white that go across his body are nothing as he hovers about, wings at his ankles fluttering with speed. Just blurs at that area of the body, they are difficult to see. He isn't bothered, because he is smiling with that joyful laugh.
Why does he have to have such a cold, uneasy feeling that surrounds him? Is it happiness with the carefree ways that make him this joyful? He has nothing to be happy about, as it seems. Within his head, he remembers his sister asking where he was going, walking while he flew (she never liked flying even though she had wings, and let him explain to her what flying was like), chatting about things he had in his mind. A vivid question was always "Why are you leaving soon?"
She asked it with a hurt expression, worried and wounded at the idea of him taking off. Known to be as cheerful as he was, he took no time to tell her one thing: "I want to go somewhere where it is warmer. The cold bothers me. I love you though, therefore you should go with me." Her reaction was just a frown and shake of the head, being used to how he acted. Before he took off, she gave him the scarf, pink and made of wool, having wrapped it about his neck. Now, it was slung around the base of his neck, encasing his upper shoulder blades and withers in warmth. The summer heat was paid no attention to; he just wasn't going to take that thing off.
Gentle laughs fill the air again, his coven hooves finally touching the ground as he comes out of transition. In the moon's milk light, you can now see what allows him to fly like that. Eight wings, two to each ankle, black with indigo flight feathers, lay to rest, perked up and pushed to his canon bones. They seem content, and if your eyes are to glare upon them too long, he'll allow a soft laugh to you and explain that it is his mother that caused the wings to be that way. He isn't bothered by them being like that, clearly. He's content and happy, smiling just because he can.
"Oh? Where do you think we are?" It is easy to notice that he is alone, that no one was with him. The question is directed towards anyone that came across him in the nighttime. His smile makes the world uncomfortable, shying away with fear because no one wants to get too close to him. Everything about him causes a dark feeling that causes you to shudder when you get too close. What was even creating that? He isn't bothered because he takes a few steps, moving between the trees as his spider web eyes teem with excitement.
"Hello??? Would anyone like to come out and play with me tonight? I'm lonely...... Where are my friends tonight, when the moon is high and the night air is perfect for good times?"
You dare not go, just because you're scared. He's happy, though who is bothered?
Just about everyone because he's still smiling.

If you could hear me then, can you hear me now?

Image Credits

Cantante Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The forested lands of the Threshold are bathed in mid-afternoon sunlight and the sweltering heat is continuing to rise. Patches of tall deep green plants bursting with white blossoms are scattered among the wide canopied oaks and small critters peer out from behind stalks and tree leaves. Larger creatures of the equine variety are about as well though most prefer to wait out the heat wave in shadier spots. One of those that has chosen not to be bothered by the heat is a dark gray mare with ink black wings. She has been here before, on her own arrival day, not long ago at all. On that day she flew in upon the back of a wind storm but now she makes her plodding way between the trees on foot. Her wings are folded tightly against her side to avoid scraping the white-gray bark from the trunks and her eyes are half closed in bliss as the heat sinks into her weary muscles. She is carrying herself on sturdier legs then before but it is clear from her movements that her health is still lagging. Her steps bring her to the edge of a clearing where she stops and tucks herself in under one of the trees to watch the comings and goings for a time. Just as she settles a shiver rakes her unusually frail frame.

Two days and three nights have I rested under the ever watchful eye of Solace. The topic of a potential healer has been raised a time or two but I will not consent. It seems an awful waste of precious energy to magically heal my complaints. After all, I’ve come by this sorry state of mine honestly… that is the say that I did it to myself and am well aware that I deserve to suffer. So I will recover the slower, natural way. My appetite has yet to return though I am forever thirsty, nonetheless I am feeling better. I can, at least, move under my own power without the fear of falling over. It will likely be weeks before I am strong enough to fly but I will take what I can get for now.

Solace will not be pleased when he finds I have left my sheltered spot for how can he guard me as he promised if he does not know where I am? He will forgive me though, I think I’ve learned that much about my new friend. My reasons for abandoning the “safe zone” are simple, I must stretch my legs and work the muscles by walking longer distances or my recovering will be slowed even more. So here I am retracing the steps of my arrival night, back to the place they call the Threshold. It is a pleasant enough place and when I feel I can walk no further without resting I tuck in under one of the larger trees to quietly observe my surroundings. The shiver that takes me is an unexpected surprise in this heat and for a moment I worry that I’ve made my illness worse but shivering was never a symptom before…

Light, floating laughter fills the clearing and it seems to be coming from the sky itself at first. Then an odd bird comes into view. He is not a bird truly, he is a horse and a normal horse lacking the wings that grace the form of the gray mare. So, how is he flying? He moves closer hovering like a hummingbird and then it is possible to discern the sets of small buzzing wings on the back of each obviously cloven hoof. So perhaps he is not a normal horse after all…

He lands upon the soft grass of the clearing, flipping the ends of a colorful scarf up around his neck as he calls out to the surrounding patches of sunlight in the piercing voice of youth. The words are pleasant and unremarkable though the boy himself is remarkable indeed. A coat of sky blue laced with cloud white stretches across his thin frame and the black highlights are as striking as those of his current watcher. His eyes too look to be blue and a funny mark spreads out along his muzzle. There is something about the smile plastered to his face that is both welcoming and not at the same time.

I forget the shiver as something lands in the empty clearing, it is a strange something. A boy about the age that my daughter would be now. It seems, at first, that he is cursed with the same misfortune as my dear Bellissima and most of the others I’ve met in this place so far. Then I see that he does in fact have wings, they are just in the wrong place. How, odd… truly there is little about him that is not odd. This is intriguing but even if he were a normal being I would still be drawn to him for his youth alone. It has been sometime since I’ve had a young boy or girl around to mother. Of course, I must be careful for while I may see him as a child still he undoubtedly sees himself as more than half grown.

Cantante stands in her shade for a minute or two then steps forward for the very young stallion to see. “I can tell you exactly where you are if you’d really like to know. As to what has become of your friends, that I’m afraid I have no answer for. What sort of game were you planning?” She falls silent then waiting and watching him intently.