the Rift

[OPEN] We've Been Denying

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

He was finally back.

The steed’s hooves slashed at the dry ground as he came upon the borders at his once home. He had taken a leave from Helovia, but now, he came to fall back into his belonging place underneath his great leader. Although the stud had taken an unexpected absence, he knew that his dark queen would accept him back into the homeland, it’s all he could hope for. He would fill himself in with all the information he could just to earn the trust he once had for the queen. But would the mare accept? Whether she did or not, Xanthos would still respect her with all. It would be no surprise to him if she denied, after all, he did leave her without his words of warning. But the dun stud could feel the warm welcoming boiling throughout his veins.

His family, how would they react? His Romani and Jasiri? He had also left them, with only the protection of his worthy herd mates. Xanthos knew Romani could handle herself though, for she was his little warrior heart. But he did not like that he had left her unattended for so long. The only things spinning around in the steed’s dome was one question, ”Will she still love me?” He spoke aloud, not really meaning to. Startled, Azel, his greatest friend who had now grown much taller and older than before, cocked his head to the side at his companion. ”Sorry Azel, I didn’t mean to frighten you. I just have so many things running through my head.” Xanthos told his friend in a low voice.

The stud could only wonder if he was really deemed worthy of his position in such a prized home. He should be one of the lower, since he took his leave without warning his family. What if they needed him and when they searched, he wouldn’t be anywhere in sight? They would be at lost when he could’ve helped them. Even if they had lost, at least he would’ve been there to take the blame. Xanthos would want to be but outside of World’s Edge if it came down to helping his family and friends. Especially when it was going against the Basin. Xanthos was a ruthless when it came down to the Basin and their cruel loyalty. It was the only place he had ever had the odds against.

Xan stopped when he came to borders of his home and Azel did the same. They cocked their brows at each other for a moment before the dun turned his eyes towards the woods. ”Mirage? Romani? Jasiri?” He questioned out into the open mist, his voice echoing off the high trees. ”We’re home!” When the word “home” rolled off his tongue, a sudden excitement collided along with it with pride. He was glad to be home with his family again.

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark

anyone may join. c:

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

Bitterness.

Could that be formed by distance apart? Could it be formed by being held captive and against your will for the duration of the fiercest and most darkest time during her life, here in Helovia? With last Frostfall had come the dreaded, damnable darkness. With that darkness had come her capture, and with it, her season of Hell. Why had he wanted her? What had she done to warrant such hostility from the undead colt? For so long she had waited... For him. For Xanthos.

Aside from young Kasai, trust had been her key belief that she would live. That she would survive that cold and fridgid Hell. Trust in the love of her mate, Xanthos... When she had been stolen away from the Foothills by Ophelia of the Grey, in-foal and ready to give birth at any dawn, Xanthos had come to rescue her. He had arrived during the throes of the Foothills invasion, and had rescued her from that imprisonment and brought her home with him, to the Edge. It was there that she had dedicated her life.

Now...

Now, she had returned, but upon doing so Xanthos had been nowhere to be seen. There was no sight, sound, or smell of the grullo stallion that had stolen her heart, that had woo'd the world-traveling gypsy and had convinced her to make residence within Helovia's borders. Where he had gone, she didn't know, nor did anyone who she had asked when inquiring of his whereabouts... And now.

Now.

He returned.

Where once her breast would have been alight with joy -oh, such joy!- at seeing the grullo stallion, when she had heard his voice echo throughout the thickly mattted trees of the Edge, something had grasped onto her heart with a frozen hand. Was she relieved? Yes. Excited? Just a bit... But so very bitter. Still, she had to see him... Perhaps he could give her an explanation as to where he had been, and why Destrier, her Wingleader, had saved her instead.

'Roma ungrateful?' The echo of Kasai's mental voice bounced around her troubled mind, and the golden-red Haflinger snapped from her dark and troubled thoughts. Sad, azure eyes met with Kasai's ice-blue orbs, and Romani was frightened to discover that she could not even force a smile for her tigress companion. Yet, there was no need; she could not lie to the other half of her soul.

"I am not ungrateful, sweet, simply... Simply..." Simply what? How could she even begin to explain how she felt? Destrier had saved her; she was grateful to him... And yet, it hadn't been Xan. "Simply... Sad." Her admittance caused Kasai to growl softly in understanding. Kasai would always understand Romani's plight, for they shared the same soul. The white tiger, ever growing in both body and mind in her eight months of age, pressed her smooth-as-silk coat against the bulky mare's front right leg, a deep, resonating purr echoing from the depths of her belly. It was only then that Romani smiled, but it was a sad, pathetic excuse of one.

With a weary sigh and feeling far older than her years, Romani ventured forwards to the sound of her mate's voice. Breaking through the thick foliage, however wilted in the Tallsun heat, she spotted him. Tears stung at her eyes upon first sight, for he truly was so handsome. Two sets of blue eyes watched the grullo and his companion, the young King Cheetah Azel. Romani remembered how often he and Kasai played, and their protective influences over Jasiri. He seemed... Different. So very different. It made the gypsy feel sick to her stomach. Oh, Xan... What has become of us?

"Xanthos," she called to him, her voice troubled, vocals tinged and tainted with melancholy, "You've returned."

The True Soldier Fights Not Because
He Hates What is in Front of Him,
But Because he Loves What is Behind Him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Please Tag Romani in all Replies!

Outcast

When neither three came, the steed's dome lowered closer to the ground as he stepped inside the borders. Had the mare gave up on him? Or was she just simply, not here? Wherever she may be, Xanthos was beginning to worry. He knew she would've came to greet him, unless she was busy. But that may be the solution, that's she is just busy with her works, and taking care of dear Jasiri.

Soon, the stud's ears perked and his dome shot up. He heard the leaves crushing, but it was more than one thing making the sounds, more like two. It may be Jasiri, or Romani and Kasai, or just all three of them. Remembering Kasai, Romani's beloved companion, and how Azel and her use to play fight as of which was Jasiri's guard. Yet, both had grown since then, there was still a chance of the playing cubs inside of them. As if, they could bring the past back to life and replay it over, over again. But it would never be the same for Romani and he.

Xanthos stood still, listening to the leaves crackling underneath one's pressure. Who might it be? The grullo steed did not know of yet but he knew the sweet smell of the creatures that were coming towards him, because it was the only one that carried loyalty to her home upon her golden shoulders.

Romani..

As she came walking from the trees, Kasai by her side, Xanthos let out a small sigh. His gaze reached out towards her beautiful frame and then to Azel as he trotted up to the white tiger, purring when he came to a stop a few lengths in front. The stud chuckled beneath his grasping breath and then blinked, looking back to his admiring mate. But the look that was plastered against her lips saddened him quickly. Despair. Abandoned. Victimized. That was the only way he knew how to describe his depressed beauty. What had happened to her? Xanthos couldn't tell, but he could tell that she wasn't her joyful self any longer. Was she hurt by his leave, or was it disgust of his return? It startled the stud that the femme was in such health. It made him feel like he had guilt labeled all of him, but it also made him think that it was also true.

He couldn't look at her no longer. He couldn't take the powerless expression of his empty mate. Xanthos ran to her, hoping she would not run from him, after all, he had left the land without a telling to the mare. He stopped, wide eyes pleading as he simply said, "I'm sorry.." Few tears tinkled down his gray face as the steed tried to stare deep down into the mare's soul, to find out what she was really feeling. But it was at no use. Is this what fear really felt like? To be humiliated and rejected? Because this was overwhelming Xanthos and he could take it no more.

It was all too much.

"Romani," he said, his voice lowered to a whisper. "I should've never left you like that. I love you." His voice faded as he took steps forward towards the beautiful golden mare, wishing she would come closer also so he could wrap her in a welcoming warmth of love for his mare. He just wanted to hold her forever, take her under his non-existent wing and shield her from the drowning rains. Yet, he knew it was impossible. All he could say was, "I love you Romani." The steed confessed, looking at her with bright, yellow eyes, pleading.

"I'm sorry."

When your soul embarks

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

He stared at her, those golden eyes that she had grown to adore through their experiences and shared memories. How long it seemed since they had frolicked together at the beach of the Endless Blue, back before love and trials had graced their lives and had pulled them inexplicably closer. Things had been simple back then, back when she had devouted herself to the Windtossed Foothills and Xanthos to his group of unicorn supremists. Yet... He wasn't like them. He had looked upon her with love and adoration, quite like how he did now, but there was no denying that something had changed. Whatever that was, however, Romani hadn't the slightest of clues.

The moment was over, and Romani's eyes averted downwards and to the left. How should she respond? Kasai watched with icy-blue eyes as Azel broke away from Xanthos' side, her head tilted curiously, a growl of confusion rumbling from the tigress' belly. Kasai knew that there was something amiss, and while she yearned to grow closer to Azel and play with the young Cheetah like they once did, loyalty and love kept her close to Romani's side. Ever so gently Kasai brushed against the troubled Haflinger's leg, letting her bond-mate know that even in such tumultuous times, she was not alone.

The Protector finally looked back up when Xanthos dared to approach. His movement, quick and sudden, caused the hearty mare to bristle with apprehension, but he did nothing but grow closer to her. He whispered her name like she was something to be cherished, proclaiming his love and murmuring apologies. Hadn't that been what she wanted to hear? If so, then why was she so... Unsatisfied? This bitterness remained, souring her tongue and locking it so that she was unable to form any words of reply.

Crisp azure eyes raised and locked upon those handsome golden orbs once again, and with a deep breath, she held his gaze. What should she say? Xanthos was before her now, standing, waiting... But for what? What did he want from her? An explanation? Wasn't it he who should be offering one to her? Panic grew within her breast, causing her to take a step back, the tip of her hoof dragging into the ground... But she would not run. Romani was no coward.

Sucking in a deep breath and trying to ignore the quesy feeling growing in her gut, the bitter mare spoke. Her voice was choked, strained... Emotional. "You apologize to me, but do you even know what you are apologizing for?" Panic and anger rolled inside of her, both fighting for dominance. Pinning her ears, the mare went on. "I was held against my will, again, and I do not know why. I don't know what they wanted from me, or why I was stolen from my home, but I was, and throughout the entire season of Hell that I went through, I waited. I waited for you to come... But you... You did not. I returned here, to our daughter, to find that you have left with no words to anyone, least of all our daughter. Pray be our family was willing to watch over her."

A harsh exhale rattled the Haflinger's frame, rippling her golden-red coat. When she spoke next, her voice was considerably softer than the moments before. "Jasiri is fine, before you worry. She is sleeping after a long day of play."

It was then that the gypsy shut her mouth before she said something that she truly regretted. How would Xanthos react to her bitter words? Or better yet... Why did she even say them in the first place? What had happened to their love? What would happen to them?

The True Soldier Fights Not Because
He Hates What is in Front of Him,
But Because he Loves What is Behind Him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Please Tag Romani in all Replies!

Outcast

He felt the despair rush into his veins, his light body turning into a cold tundra. This was all he felt; isolated. He was alone now, except for Azel, who now also hissed at the white feline before he came back to his own bonded, leaping through air and onto the dun's rump. This time, the claws did not scratch, and only the slightest of purrs came from the king cheetah's small heart. Xanthos knew now that he had a clumsy, but yet fearless companion, who would always be there.

As the mare backed away from his approach, he too did the same, knowing that he was unwanted to her. The steed sighed, but it was not boredom nor saddness, it was rage and confusion. Yes, he was now blaming it all on himself. Rejection now laid upon his shoulders and pushed him closer to the fiery hell below. How could've he done this to her? He had known all along that it would break her, into a million little pieces, but he had never turned to go back. If he had just done one simple task, this would've never happened between his now-parting family. I should just leave and never return. Xanthos sighed again, desperate for any thought but that one.

His head shot up with sudden pain as claws reached into his thin skin. Azel had clawed him, for thinking of such a thing as of leaving his loved ones again. He had already had to deal with it once and was not counting on going through it again. He had hated those months of hearing the nightmares his large companion had during his away of Romani, the cries of fear in his insecure yellow orbs. It had pained him to see his loyal friend in such away, and he never wanted to replay the memories again. "No," the feline growled in protest, "You have to stay... For her." His muzzle pointed towards the golden mare. Xanthos nodded to him, clearly in confusion but knew what his brother meant.

His gaze turned to the glorious mare once more before taking another step towards her. He could see the anger brewing inside her once dreadful soul, taking over her beautiful frame. The dun listened to every stern word she said, whether it hurt him or not, he would listen to her and only her. The world around him toned out and he listened as the harsh expression poured into his ears, his eyes focused on the ground in front of her hooves. "I waited. I waited for you to come... But you... You did not. I returned here, to our daughter, to find that you have left with no words to anyone, least of all our daughter. Pray be our family was willing to watch over her." He jerked up, his own stare gnawing at her.

"I know what I did, and it was wrong. But, I came back for you Romani! For us! If you think I attended to cause so much pain, you were wrong, because I didn't. I never meant for it to come to be this way, but it did. I said, like before, I'm sorry." By the end of his words, his tone was slowly faded away into a caring, helplessly-loving tone. Azel had jumped from his position of resting along Xanthos's back, from the time the outburst of his companion's harsh tone. His gaze was understanding, yet it was full of fear, as he had never seen his steed's voice in such a way. All he knew was that he was trying to get it through the mare's head, that he truly did love her.

But maybe he hadn't showed it enough..

When your soul embarks

Outcast
Bump? I wasn't sure if you noticed it or not. @[Romani]