the Rift

[OPEN] Hunting
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
take away the pain inflicted on me, the hunger you're letting me feed
Where was my daughter? My sons? Ktulu? Why hadn’t they come to visit me?

My stomach made tight knots while an active mind raced with ideas of trouble or danger. Harm that might had come to them during my absence inside the abyss. I hadn’t seen or heard from any of my family in nearly a month. Eagerness and anxiety still held enough reasonable sense to pause this body before crossing the Foothills boarder. A stranger—without friends I was nothing more than a strange stallion from the desert. Luckily if trouble showed its face, my strength had finally returned enough for me to travel and defend. Still, I didn’t want to cause strive and thus dared not venture beyond those markings to find them.

Herd relations already stood upon shaky ground, a breach of respect could shatter what alliances we still had. Ranjiri. Where are you? Eyes scanned the tree line for soldiers, or anyone really; someone who could led me to her. The warmth of this season was nearly over, it wouldn’t be long before its end would be upon us. Its twilight now, the land is aglow with soft shadows that give nearly everything a mystical, peaceful feel. Finally my patience wears to a thin line, “Ranjiri! Ktulu!” their scents aren’t thickly coating the border—further validating rumors that she had abandoned this herd. “Apollo!” He couldn’t be far. My friend seemed to be everywhere that I was during the most opportune times—why couldn’t he be around now?

Table by Neo, Art by Dark

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

How Fickle My Heart and How Woozy My Eyes
I Struggle to Find Any Truth in Your Lies

Sleep had been a nonexistent thing for him that night. Apollo's mind was a whirlwind of emotions, questions, possibilities, and worries. He worried for his herd, and how long it would be until they risked the danger of losing their home. He pondered the quest he had been given by the God of the Earth, and the intimate relationship he was required to learn of before his return to the Veins. Things like this is what kept Apollo awake, well into the night hours when everyone should be resting...

So, as always whenever his mind would not shut itself up, Apollo took to wandering.

He had been making his rounds, ensuring that his family was safe for at least another day, when those pleading, familiar vocals rang throughout the night sky. The painted stallion, bleached out due to the high intensity of the mighty summer sun, paused in mid-stride, one fore-hoof still raised in the air as he tried to discover just where the voice had come from. A sharp snort blew from his nose, and moments later, Apollo's hoof finally lowered back to the downy earth.

"... Midas?" Was that him? One of the most precious friends that he had made during his time in Helovia? The male who Apollo called 'brother'? Either way, even if it wasn't, Apollo couldn't ignore the call. It sounded urgent... Desperate, almost.

Head raising and neck twisting, the Merciful Chief waited for a few more moments before venturing towards where he believed he had heard his golden-winged brother's call. Ears pricked forward, honey-brown eyes searching through the twilight lit hills, it didn't take long for him to find Midas waiting patiently by the borders that marked the Foothills from the wildlands. Or, at least, he hoped it was 'patiently', for Midas had a truly concerned expression marring his handsome face.

"Midas!" Apollo called rather jovially, his eyes sparking with genuine excitement at seeing that it was, indeed, his dear friend. "Midas, how good it is to see you! There's no need to wait at the borders, brother; you're more than welcome in these lands." There was more that Apollo wanted to say, questions that he wanted to ask his friend due to their time spent apart, but he found the words dying in his throat the closer that he drew to the Pegasus. Brows furrowing in worry, the stallion continued to speak. His voice, this time, was lowered and full of anxiety.

"... What's troubling you, Midas? Has something happened?"

And Now My Heart Stumbles on Things I Don't Know
My Weakness I Feel I Must Finally Show

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Soft earth lay harmlessly beneath my feet, knees were locked to hold me stark still despite the strong urge to shuffle, pace, and twitch. Every muscle fiber felt electrified; almost like I needed to run, fight, do something about the fact that my family had gone missing. As fate had it, somewhere a set of hooves was put to purpose; I could faintly hear them in the distance moving toward my direction (or so one could hope.) Ivory tendrils flicked back and forth irritably striking my flank until outer thighs began to sting; ears notched themselves as far forward as structure allowed.

“Midas!”

A male, but luckily not a stranger. I had already been staring at the distant treeline when my dear friend Apollo emerged with a smile lifting his brow. Troubled features relaxed just enough to respond to the Foothills chief with a natural grin that was better suited than the frown I’d been previously wearing. It was easy to expect the worst to come from this visit; but when my brother appeared somehow I felt that mother luck had granted me a merciful boon. 'Apollo would help me', I thought positively. After all the stuff we had been through in the past, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that he would leave me behind without some tidbit of information.

I reached out as he drew near, stretching tempered neck to brush his muzzle in a brotherly welcome. He must have seen the concern marring my usually carefree disposition, because as the distance shortened so did his beam of delight. What could I say to his kind words that welcomed me from another clan with open arms? “It is good to see you, I’m glad it was ye that responded.” He had moved up in the world, and…so had I. It wasn’t forgotten that his clan had waged war against mine not more than a season ago—but…he was a friend, as much as a clanmate as the rest of our herd. I couldn’t believe that it was by his words such an attack was implemented. “Ktulu?” I said quietly, “My daughter? Are they here?”

Coming to a stop before his friend, the Foothills Chief outstretched his muzzle and tenderly, dare he say affectionately brushed his velvety nose against Midas' own. The painted male had always been there for him, in both the most tiresome of mental and physical trials. Perhaps Apollo himself could finally return the favor. He wondered, albeit briefly, what was currently crossing Midas' mind. Such a troubling expression didn't suit him.

"And I am glad to see that it is you, as well," Apollo responded earnestly, "Our herd is... Exposed. It's hard to assume if wanderers are here to help us, or harm us." He would never have spoken such words to a stranger, words that revealed just how very vulnerable his family was. There had been little to no word from Tonka, and so Apollo began to wonder if the Assassin's could still be called allies... And yet, he knew that they were not completely helpless. Still.

Sobering considerably and growing rather straight-faced, Apollo silenced his lips as Midas inquired of the whereabouts to Ktulu, and their daughter, Ranjiri. That caused the Merciful to tilt his head, an ear cocked askew in confusion. "... You have not seen her?" He questioned, honey-brown orbs staring intently into Midas' own golden eyes. It was strange to him that Ktulu would not have sought out Midas once she had left, even to simply inform him of her decision to return to outcast life. "Our dark lady has ventured on, to follow her heart. I feel as though leading this herd was cumbersome on her, and so she left us, shortly after appointing me to Chief. Your daughter, however, sweet Ranjiri, she remains, but I'll be honest... I don't see her as often as I used to. I think she's begun to spread her wings and explore the lands around us."

Apollo himself was no father. He couldn't imagine the worry that Midas must feel for young Ranjiri, especially with the distance between homes and obligations... But he could understand the worry for one's own family, for that was a worry that he felt every moment.

"Walk with me, brother, as we talk." Turning, Apollo jerked his head to the side to indicate for Midas to follow, if he wished. "There is no need to stand on the borders as though you're a stranger."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Apollo hadn’t changed. He still had a kindness about him, a tolerance and gentleness. I was thankful that the trials of a leader wasn’t causing his heart to grow hard. He smiled at me and returned our welcoming gesture affectionately. I felt more than just a twinge of symphony unfurl when my dear brother admitted that Foothills was struggling with politics. Their bridges hadn’t exactly been well maintained…ever since the whole Basin mess; but at least some of the boards could be salvaged to build anew.

I watched as the glow fell from his features and sobered into a frown; my heart sank another few inches. “You have not seen her?” Her. Meaning neither of them I supposed. Ktulu hadn’t come for my counsel when she chose to leave, neither of my girls had even made the journey to visit. Saying that their choices didn’t sting would be a lie.

My body felt hot and uncomfortable again, but for different reason, “Ranjiri is here? Ktulu left our daughter alone?” Shock was evident in my tone, and for the first time in a long while a spark of fury rose in the normally calm pits of my gaze. Ranjiri was still small, surely too young to be without the guidance of a parent figure. This world was dangerous for our youth.

Apollo offered me by his side; my head nodded once and the body slipped to his side. But my mind was still left behind, frozen at the border. I breathed out, gathering myself before admitting a truth that was becoming more and more final with each step, “I haven’t seen or heard from either of them in nearly a season.” Maybe there was a good excuse. Maybe.

Knowing that there was little to nothing Apollo could do about my family problems, I added, "Don't let the politics overwhelm; don't lose yourself."

Apollo listened as his friend went on, seemingly unsatisfied with his answer. An ear tipped back in uneasiness, and the overo felt his concern merely grow. What, indeed, did it feel like, being a father searching relentlessly for your mate and child? Desperate to find them safe, to find them well and whole? Having a family of that calibur, Apollo imagined, was grating on the nerves... But he could think of none better suited to handle those stresses than Midas.

"Ktulu did not leave her alone," Apollo amended gently, his soulful, honey-brown orbs lingering upon Midas as they began to roam the grasses of the Foothills side by side, "But in the protection of our family as a herd. Unfortunately I don't know if young Ranjiri intends to stay within this family, for as I said, it has been some time since I last saw her..." Realizing he was probably making Midas' worries worse, Apollo shut himself up, his lips pulled thin. What could he say to help quell his dear friend's fears? Was there anything, or was he simply making it worse?

"If I see them, Midas, I will tell them that you worry of them frequently, and that they would both do well to see you soon. I'm sorry that I cannot offer you more peace of mind than my word."

"Don't let the politics overwhelm; don't lose yourself."

The statement came rather abruptly that it caught Apollo unaware, and he tippted his muzzle inwards and towards his friend, eyes searching and slightly confused. Leadership was a huge weight. Not only did you have to protect your own life, but the lives of everyone who lived with you. A family unit they were, weak in numbers, but strong in the bonds of kindship.

"Midas... If I could be so bold to ask you something?" A flick of the tail to signal a sudden, different level of concern, but Apollo did not let the silence settle for long. "This is... Something beyond the ties of brothers, but from a desperate Chief to a worthy Sultan. My herd - my family- is... Unsafe. Threatened. You and I have shared some things in the past, Midas; we've explored unnamed locations, shared our troubles like brothers, fought and shed blood in each other's names and safety... I would ask, as Chief of the Foothills, if you and the Dragon's Throat would humble us as allies?"

It was in the middle of his grave question that Apollo found himself slowing his pace until he had stopped, his attention focused soley and completely upon his winged companion. Would Midas agree to such a truce...? Would it even matter? Or had their contract with the Basin ruined any such ties for allies in this tumultuous time?

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
Apollo tried his reasoning, assuring that Ranjiri would be safe behind Foothills border; after the overo had admitted that their home was currently residing on loose soil. She was away from her, Ma, Da—I stiffened, but said nothing in retort to his correct. In the back of my mind I knew that this brother was only trying to comfort by fixing the situation in the only way he knew how. Offering himself as a shield and sword. Words to follow would provide some comfort, though it seemed that when we were at our weakest, it was those vocals of easement that worked less to appease. More often than not, we pushed away those that could aid us most. To some extent it was a nourishing to know that he had my back on matters concerning my personal family.

I give a nod to his vow and apology, “I am grateful for that my friend.”

My change of subject had been rapid and out of the norm, simply because I wanted to alter my mind toward other things. Things that could be controlled—since it was obvious there were no answers to be found. “Midas…If I could be so bold to ask you something?” I glanced his way, one ear flexed back. Pools softened when they regarded his gentle gaze; we were both near the same age—both struggling with the matter of our friendship now tainted by business. This was why I absolutely hated politics. In order to rule, you had to make the tough choices, and not everyone would be thrilled with your decisions.

“I would ask, as Chief of the Foothills, if you and the Dragon’s Throat would humble us as allies?”

My spine straightened. Wings that had slumped forward, now shuffled to straighten against my warm sides, “Apollo, ye knows I love thee like a brother,” tone was soft, full of forgiveness and understanding. “Before answering thy question, tell me truthfully as ye might—why did your family create ties with Basin, and then strike the crown of Dragons?”

Perhaps he should have known that the question would arise sooner or later. It was the only reason for tension between he and his golden brother, was it not? The question, soothed with a proclamation of Midas' brotherly affection, still stung to hear, but there was nothing but truth to the inquiry. They had attacked the World's Edge, an event that Apollo had been helpless to stop at the time... Hopefully Midas would listen to his reasoning as to what had caused such alliances with the Basin, if one would even call it that.

"Midas," Apollo started softly, sucking in a deep breath as he pondered just what he could say to explain himself, "I regret that day, as I do regret every day of war I have ever put myself in. Please listen, and know that everything I'm about to tell you is the truth, and transpired before I had any power to stop it."

Honey-brown eyes lingered upon the Sultan's golden eyes, apology shining deep within his orbs. "When I was still but a medic for the Grey, shortly after settling within the Foothills, Ophelia and Psyche of the Basin came to an agreement. They created a contract between the Grey and the Basin; the promise of soldiers should the Basin ever need them." His loyalty to the Grey had been unfaltering back then, for he had loved every member of the Grey as his family... Would that now be his undoing? "Before the invasion on the Edge, Ophelia left us, leaving Ktulu and I to pick up where she had left off. It was then that the Basin called us to to service..."

"I... I heard that the Basin attacked your family as well, Midas." Here, emotion choked his voice, causing Apollo's speech to falter. He could still remember the terror he felt when hearing such news, and the fear that, once he found out that the Foothills had helped the Basin invaders, Midas would hate him. "I... I am sorry. I had no idea that they had been planning that, and... If I could go back to that day and change what had happened, I would. It hurt, brother, to see my warriors, my family come home, haunted from attacking and harming innocents who had not deserved such brutality. I swore then that I would change our ways."

And it had been then, at his decision, that the Grey had fallen into disrepair. Did it hurt? Yes, of course. He had devouted himself, body and soul, for the welfare of their mercenary band... But that had been the idealistic dream of outcast life. As a herd, such a creed was impossible to follow without making yourself a target.

"... I know that it does not condone what we have done," the Merciful went on to explain, lowering his eyes from Midas' piercing gaze, "But we have done our best to amend for our sins. We were left in a tough place; seized by a contract that we did not ask for. For now... I want to move forward from that dark time, and create a new Foothills."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
He must have known that I would need to know about the invasion; sooner or later the question would have come forward. It was on both of our minds, perhaps less so on mine because of Ktulu and my family. But still, present. Apollo spoke, and I listened. Quietly shuffling ahead, my hooves digging gently into the soft grass that tickled our ankles. It was so different here, peaceful. Hard to believe that this land had been bled upon. My brother in arms finalized that the battle had been beyond his control, a notion that was felt upon my soul as truth. Nobody chose their path, and in the words of another who had vanished from this earth. Not all paths were walked willingly.

His story helped clear up some of the missing puzzle pieces that had been scattered by gossip. Ophelia had formed an agreement with a basin unicorn. Agreeing to aid their ventures on a moment’s notice, and for what? I didn’t want to believe that the pale sister had been involved—but there was little doubt that Apollo was speaking false for the reason of gaining an ally that he already possessed.

There was genuine sorrow in his voice, the same sorrow that had rose in my throat when warriors came to our land during the dark time. My gaze drifted to his, soft and understanding. Always understanding—perhaps one day I would destroy myself with mercy, forgiveness, but not today. Not now. “They leave ye abandoned now? Or do ye fear of attack?” Our families are weaker than before, could we withstand another raid?