the Rift

[OPEN] a letter.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the resolute
one cannot stop the wind from blowing, nor refuse the falling rain.

It had been an ordinary day.

The sun had risen. Typical of Tallsun for the Dragon's Throat, the heat began early and grew more intense. The illusory waves it created danced upon the sands, the wind stirring out farther North. The smell of salt, the tang in the air, the call of birds from the Oasis. Everything seemed absolutely normal. Nothing had changed, not even my attitude. I was still the same bitch I was the day before. I was brave and stubborn and loyal.

That is why I never expected such a thing to occur.

The sound of large wings, like the masts of ships battering against the air. Leather wings, like overgrown bats. My dark eyes caught the sky, the pale blue dotted with the surprisingly large figures that I recognized. My brow furrowed in surprise and worry, for these are friends I never expected to encounter again. Along my travels after the cataclysm of Isilme, I had encountered a strange people. Locked away in the peaks of mountains, large as trees and stern as bulls, the leathery pegasi lived. They had been a peaceful tribe at the time, but from the speed and haste at which they were flying, I doubted peace had lasted long.

Stepping out into the open space, I let loose a call into the wind, the sound a whistle amplified by my magic. The ears of my friends catch against it, and down they descend. The odd flight patterns of their kind familiar to me, but just as mind boggling. As they grow closer, I realize from the gemstone toned bodies of emerald and teal that these fellows are Arrnid and Cass, a pair of guards I had spent much time with during my stay. "Resolute!" they call forward, landing with massive waves of red sand flying. I clear it with a wave of wind, looking toward them with curiosity. The pair walk toward me, towering over my body by feet, not inches. "What brings you fellows so far from your mountains?"

What else would? War.

I won't try to explain nor justify my next few actions. I owed the kingdom they hailed from many graces. They were the ones who built me back into a living entity after the loss of my daughter, my home. They spoke of Helovia originally, led me the way here. Without thought or hesitation, I immediately agree to come to the aid of my giant friends. They needed wind power, and who am I to deny any my gifts with the wind?

We ascended, leaving nothing but my hoof prints behind in the sand. Soon enough, those too would disappear.
If I knew then what would await me in the far away peaks of their homes, I might not have left. As it is now, my friends, I am sorry.
And goodbye.

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
It's not hard to live like a ghost.
I just haunt all that I wanted, and leave what I don't.</style>

Gaucho, as we might expect, was not at all troubled by these events.

The brilliant light of Tallsun made Gaucho's patrols significantly easier than those which occurred during the reign of endless night. He could see for what felt like forever - to where the light was somehow guided around the world, which he had been told was round. He did not believe this, of course. He had traveled far and wide, and never once had he almost fallen off of the globe. Besides, if the world really was round, wouldn't all the water in the oceans fall off the sides, leaving barren craters? Round. Ha.

The day was like many others - the threat of the yewneekorns was beginning to subside. There had been no retaliation, which Gaucho thought odd, but did not dwell on such things. It was not his place. His place, was to guard, and patrol, train, and spar. All of these things he did to the best of his ability - perhaps even more so now that My-dus had been placed alongside Kri.

Perhaps that was why, as the winged-arrivals entered into the airspace above their home, Gaucho was not particularly wary. He could see Kri's stoic and stout form below, and her body language gave no indication that these creatures were a threat. He was far enough away, that calling out would have been futile, and so he merely glided forward as they palavered below. He did not have time to reach them however, for shortly after Kri joined them in the air, flying out of the Throat. Gaucho shrugged in the air, banking inwards slightly away from their trajectory. Kri go away Gaucho mentally noted - he would report this to My-das at the end of his patrol.

It never occurred to the primitive creature that perhaps Kri was going away in a more final sense. His leader was her own keeper, and in his time in the Throat he had never experienced her updating them on her comings and goings, unless it was a matter of military necessity. And of course, there was now My-das - even with Kri away, their family still had a leader within its borders.

And so, Gaucho watched with an untroubled heart and mind, as Kri sailed away.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

The sand swallowed the slipping movement of clumsy, earth-bound hooves easily, burning through fine pastern hairs to scald the tender skin beneath. Africa danced, pranced and stumbled as she ventured awkwardly from the oasis, south-east, towards where the little den sheltered her nest from the harsh Tallsun days. Perhaps it wasn’t the most practical time to tidy; to rid the small space of all the litter which had collected during the time she had been absent, but in Africa’s young, determined mind, there was simply no time like the present.

She had woken later than preferred that morning, having struggled through varying degrees of slumber to ward off callous nightmares- reminders of the cruel experiences which scarred her mottled grey pelt that she had fought to bury through every waking hour since. It had been a terribly restless night, and both she and Silas were a little worse for wear.
The task she had chosen, Africa thought, would be hardly strenuous and relatively mind numbing so that she could perhaps relax into it and not further her weariness to excess- she could not exactly lounge by the lake- the Throat, though, time needed to be utilized appropriately and relaxation was not an option.

Silas, uninterested in her newest endeavour, had chosen early to leave his beloved- even before dawn’s first light had cracked the dismal blue-purple horizon properly. The young Zephyr had found for himself an interest which clashed, rather, with the tame, subdued lifestyle which Africa had delved headlong into since their return, and often found himself soaring alone through the quivering, blue skies above Dragon’s Throat, and the desert surrounding. Fascinated with wall, the territory’s defence, and practically anything which related back to their home’s fierce military, Silas’s second priority after the welfare of his beloved, was scouting- searching with sharp, eagle eyes for anything he thought to be unusual or out of place.

Already he had found a stray Unicorn, dithering by the wall, quite suspiciously entering their home- and Africa had come at his signal to her (a fluttering heart and surge of adrenaline, was all her could do to rouse the girl’s attention). The stranger had left soon after her discovery, and the raven-black avian had swelled with a sense of satisfaction and achievement. To Africa, it had meant little more than a common meet and greet of one traveller, stumbling across their home.
So this day, as the sun scorched the glossy black feather’s rippling along his airborne back, the vigilant Zephyr’s eyes narrowed critically to inspect the arrival of two enormously built Pegasi, descending with haste into the near centre of the desert.

Cautiously he circled above the pair as they slid into the sand, a red wave spilling forwards- only to disperse around one of the Throat’s own, who walked forwards to meet them. Weariness swept through his small, frame as he baked beneath the brutal sun’s glare above them, and his heart raced with the stress of altitude, heat and unwavering focus- but he did not sway from his perch; determined in his station to guard the desert.

In no time, the two giant’s turned and launched their considerable bulks forward- rising with ease that even Silas was astonished to witness. The mare, meagre brown from a distance, took off with them and the trio no sooner disappeared entirely into the haze of heat, shimmering in the far distance.
Immediately, though there was no way he could express the turn of events to Africa, the Zephyr swooped down across the oasis and swept as fast as he could through the dust, wall of hot air towards their cave.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Two sets of wings beat the hot desert air, I flew silently by the side of my companion (who had stirred rather grumblingly up this morning). Patrolling, maintaining boarders, day in day out; some things didn’t change. However, life was a humorless bitch who loved to throw a stick in the prongs of our daily wheels. Had someone told me that today was an eve which would change my life—I might have smiled at the fool, and even laughed a little. Sadly this was no giggling matter. In the distance an ill omen loomed, one that I wouldn’t take notice of until it was too late. Kri, and other rather large company were headed away from home. They passed me by without a second glance, speeding off to wherever it was they were headed.

Being used to the idea that we could come and go as pleased, I didn’t give even a fraction of a thought that my mentor and fellow commander wouldn’t be returning with haste. Nay. But I should have. Had I looked into the glass of time, I might have chased after them; pleaded with fate to change, turn her around. Alas, nobody could have known—save for that of the gods. A silent prayer slipped toward heaven, “be safe,” I whispered. Come home soon.

That was when my life, changed. For a little while longer I could bask in the warmth of the sun, wake without heaving worry. Eventually, like all great things I would be forced to adapt, or die in the struggle. Lord, have mercy upon this soul.
Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Wings beat upon desert winds. A rhythm unfamiliar, a scent not recognized. A black lid cracked open to reveal the shimmering purple of a perfect orb, moistened and gleaming beneath the shade of ebony lashes; its gaze was deceptively calm as it followed the path of strangers across the sky. Wary, always guarded, a mare who never let anyone get too close didn't miss much of what was going on in the sandy realm she called home. Not the coming of foreigners, nor the departure of a mare she had come to respect for her unyielding nature, her strength and her fairness.

It was in the nature of ravens to be curious. Yet this blackbird had not worn this mantle of responsibility for very long, nor had she become wholly accustomed to questioning the doings of her leaders. Kri had seemed surprised by her audacity last time, and since then the Shadow had been without reason to do sow.

Now she could but wonder to herself as she watched the trio take to the sky, heading north on steady wings. Where was she going? Would she be back soon? Who were the nameless stallions, and why did their arrival go unhindered, their departure unquestioned?

She would receive no answers now, though, and so the shadow closed her eyes once more, drifting back into drowsy contemplation beneath the shade of the red tree.

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
Her chocolate wings beat down on the soft air. Effortlessly Kri made her way into the sky and vanished before quickly before my eyes. I did not know where my honorable sultana was going, but hopefully she would be back soon enough. There was no expectation that our leader would leave us, bare, without a goodbye, so briefly. So the thought of her leaving did not even cross my mind. No. She would be back and whatever she had to do, it must be for her own self or else she would have let the many members of her Throat know…right? Silver orbs traced where she had taken off and I so suddenly wondered if she had everything she needed before she left. I mean of course she was my leader and she was probably the most prepared out of everyone, but of course I just wondered. And now, ever so slightly in the back of my head, I wondered if she would truly leave us?

“Farewell Kri, best wishes on your journey” I whispered under my breath, hoping that Kri would be alright. Wherever she was going, she would come back. This is what I kept telling myself, that she would come back. And when she returned to her wonderful home, I would greet her with much respect. She was there for me when I needed her the most and so, whenever she needed me, I would be there for her with open wings. Slowly, I turned my body with a slight smile in admiration of my leader and took off back to patrolling with the flap of my wings.

Levi
Honor, Protection, Love.

That's what flows in my Blood.

image credits
table by whit