the Rift

[OPEN] Do you see what I see? [Report Re: Sanctuary]
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

Thick sweat has now become a lining surrounding Gaucho's entire body. At first, his flight from the south merely covered his muscular flanks in a light moisture. All of his time spent in the Throat had acclimatized Gaucho to the heat fairly well, and so on the majority of occasions, it was not something that intervened. Today however, was different. He had flown over the Heart, as he usually did in returning to the Throat - this alone increased the temperature enough that a white froth began to build up between his thighs, as a thick foam began to dribble from his dark lips. Yet even all of this, does not explain the state Gaucho is in now - nay, not yet.

As he flew home, he spied something odd below - some sort of giant opening in the rocky hull of the heart. And while he did not linger, nor even land, Gaucho could see from his vantage point that the hole in the ground was much more than that: it was a cave. Indeed, light spilled into the cave, and a cooler force of air was exerted from it, such that when Gaucho flew directly over head, he shivered violently. While even Gaucho's simple-mindedness could sense that this was something to be reported, the monumental repercussions of such a discovery, were entirely lost on him.

He had seen Kri depart earlier that morning - with two oddly composed pegasi. At the time, during his patrol, he had thought little of it. Why would he? His commander did not appear frightened or unnerved by their arrival, and left with them of her own accord. Nothing in her actions alerted bells in his mind, as they might have with another member of the herd. Thus, with one commander gone, Gaucho sought out My-das to tell him of his discovery.

Gaucho dropped from the skies like some sort of graceful boulder - falling quickly but with control. His forelegs were tucked neatly to his chest as he descended, though moved forward like landing gear, as his great black wings outspread from his sides, slowing his large body. As dark hooves struck the sands, he exhaled sharply. He was exhausted, and yet would not rest until his commander was found. The dark patches around his eyes seemed to overtake his face - his whole body, really, which almost appeared more black now, as sweat continued to bead on its surface.

"MY-DUS" Gaucho called out loudly, as he began to trot forward, his antlered head swaying to and for, looking for his commander.

All are welcome to join. Gaucho has just come from here, where a new cave seems to have emerged! @[Midas]
Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ilacta Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

She watched him quietly from her shaded perch, mulling him over in her mind. She'd been watching him since he was but a bead on the horizon, slowly growing larger until he hovered just out in front of her, hawk-like. He was a rather large pegasus - larger than any she'd seen, and thus she was intrigued. Of course, not only by his size, but by the sharp way in which he stood, the deliverance in his voice as he called out the name of someone she had not yet met.

She wondered who 'Midas' was.

She disliked this state of not-knowing. Hell, she didn't even know if the large stallion before her was even part of the Throat, though she presumed he was by the neatly folded wings on his back. Regardless, being foreign and not in-the-know was enough to mark her slightly irritated and, well, feeling too new.

She had been here but several hours, and already her mane was matted and dry with sand, slapping at her neck and breast in thick chunks of wave. The back of her throat felt sticky and dry, and each breath she took rattled against the membranes there, causing her to squint her eyes in pain. She would adjust. She always did.

. . .

Minutes pass, and he still stands before her - alone. No Midas in sight; not yet, anyway.

With a contemplative flit of her ears, she moves forward and into the sunlight, her silver hoof glistening brilliantly beneath the light before it is pushed into the sand over and over again. She is a sight beneath the golden beams of the sun, all gloss and feather and sanded hair. Her eyelashes, even, sparkle from the tiny dots of sand that glitter their tips and fall into her silvery eyes. This light may be her best, but it has also marked her conspicuous - like red against green, she clashes against the warm tones of the Throat. He's noticed her, and she's barely ten steps out of her shady recluse.

"Who?" she calls back, her voice ringing out like a bell against the wind.

She furrows her brow, wondering if the whipping wind between them, perhaps, has made her hard to hear.

Several more steps, and she is very near to his side. She halts gently, sliding the round curve of her massive wing out to gently touch his, very similar to the way a hand touches a shoulder. Her attempt at friendliness and warmth, perhaps.

"Who are you looking for?" she says again, quieter now that they are so close. "Forgive me, I've just arrived."

Her eyes flit over his body, processing him. He was bathed in sweat.

"You look weary…what does this fellow look like? I can search for him from the air, if you like…"

She does not smile, as smiles and overt-kindness are the last thing anyone needs when they are confused, intent, or irritated. And, judging by the sharpness in his eyes and the sweat that poured from his body, he was one of those three.

Ilacta *
My mother told me I had a chameleon soul, no moral compass pointing due north,
no fixed personality; just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide and as wavering as the ocean...

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

It was taking far longer than she had predicted.

After a restless night rendered both she and her young Zephyr friend already quite worn out, the sheer barrage of heat did nothing but exaggerate the one-winged mare’s exhaustion. She had committed herself to a morning spring clean- ridding their den of all the withered, long-dead flowers and grasses which had remained the length of their absence; and cleansing the space of all the other litter which had been swept in by the favourite sea breezes of both Frostfall and Birdsong (right now she wished immensely for such a wind to sweep this wretched day clear of Tallsun’s obnoxious heat). Such cleansing was made more complicated by that lack of air movement actually, because the discarded waste would sit about until the passing of the season, should Africa not remove it entirely from the area- and she did not favour clutter.
There was much to do, the nest’s lining of intricately aligned, shed winter coat and moulted ebony feathers needed to be reset also and that, she knew with a profound sigh, was no easy task easy.

It was break time.

She had had enough for now and slipped out from the dimly lit hot-box den into the weight of the sunlight. Squinting through thick, black lashes; teeth clenched around the bouquet of sorry old flower matter, she looked for the small avian form of her companion.
Silas had been acting so peculiarly since his return from an earlier scouting mission- or so she enjoyed calling his self-important jaunts, but with their limited ability to converse and understand one another, she had just put his behaviour down to lack of sleep and being bothered by summer’s relentlessness. She could not see him nearby- neither nestled into the jagged cliff of limestone rising above their den, nor hovering anywhere close. Africa muttered beneath her breath, not because she was upset with his in attendance, more so because she was missing his company- theirs was a phenomenal bond and her heart often ached for his return while he was fulfilling his unusual hobby.

So Africa set off through the sickening desert heat, north-east- away from the mainstream life of her family to discard her rubbish somewhere by the perimeter of their homeland.

A sound; a bellowing voice, one like no one Africa could recall hearing before, rolled across the burning red sands of her home. She lifted her bouncing head swiftly; pausing to listen, ears dancing to attendance instantly as she turned in the direction from which the sound had come. Silas, having felt the surge of sudden alertness in his beloved’s young soul swept around in a large circle to return towards the young mare’s position- far above, so that his flickering black shadow exaggerated his avian size across her as he found her.

The stallion’s call held an urgency that Africa could not resist, and the young mare released her stash rashly as she swung around, breaking into a brisk canter towards him- the soaking sweat lathering where-ever her coat rubbed together.
With the help of Silas scanning the area from is advantageous, lofty position, Africa was able to find the soldier relatively quickly, but as she drew to a sliding halt a small way from where he was, she found herself trembling with heat-exhaustion and weariness in general. It was not often that she ran slap-dash through Tallsun, let alone the desert itself. Another had already found him- the mare whom she had met in the Threshold only days before- Ilacta.
She recognized the soldier fairly easily, the antlers swaying atop the steady swing of his mighty skull not something easily forgotten and with a natural tenderness to her sweet voice she called forward between exaggerated breaths- “Is everything ok?” So too did the young dappled mare greet their most recently joined member, with a smile as bright as she could manage given her discomfort.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

He continued to move forward in the sands; his dark hooves striking the ground easily, for he has lived here long enough to move with ease. Even though he is now quite literally dripping with sweat, Gaucho never falters. For all of his training, it is his mind, however primitive, which is keeping him going. He is a true defender of the Throat, and will not let fatigue trump his duty. Tossing his antlered brow, Gaucho spies movement up ahead. It's as if part of a shadow has suddenly come away, and is moving towards him. Grunting, he almost considered continuing on his way - he could tell easily that the form ahead was not my-dus, and yet something stayed his mind. Was it perhaps that she was female? Or more simply, that she was approaching him? Many in the Throat did not approach the warrior, unless they required him for something. Sohalia had tried to explain it to him once, but her words were too quick and too many, for him to understand.

He assumed if this figure was coming towards him now, she must need something. Indeed, he thought he heard her say something, but couldn't be sure of it. As the distance between them closed, with Gaucho halting first and letting her bridge the gap completely, he realized that he had never seen this mare before. That troubled his mind little - their flock was large, and Gaucho would protect every one, nameless or not. As her wing outstretches to touch his own well-matched black plumage, his body language remains stoic and unchanging. Broad muscles twinge as they take what has been the first rest in hours, as the warrior's stormy gaze roams over the dark mare with interest. She might be Sohalia's opposite in each way: bold, tall, dark - and suddenly his simple mind is intrigued. But her quick comments momentarily baffle his lustful attention, and a look of perplexity and frustration mask his oddly handsome (albeit sweaty) face.

wee-ree? He thought, his dark ears flickering back uncertainly. Had she asked for his name...? Most often, they asked his name. Who he was, but...what had she said? His mind tried to recall the words that she had used, but found he was unable. They had slipped from her dark lips too quickly for his simple mind to catch them. In his antlers, Mara, his snake companion, peered at the mare with intent, black eyes. Help. Midas She mentally whispered to Gaucho, whose stormy gaze suddenly brightened with comprehension. "My-dus" He offered after a moment. His voice was rich, and yet the way he pronounced the name sounded odd...Thick perhaps, as if he wasn't used to speaking."Gaucho need My-das. My-das Co-man-durr"

As Africa landed, Gaucho grunted in response, nodding in her direction. In his antlers, Mara hissed hesitantly at the Zephyr, and coiled herself tightly around Gaucho's antlers. "Gaucho find cave. Now Gaucho find My-das. Not find yet." He reported, as his dark tail swayed against his hocks.

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

Same day, hours later. Shortly after Kri departed--myself and Fina returned to our daily patrolling. A hot sun burned itself mercilessly across our feathers, tis was good exercise for sure; and after months of having no warmth, no light. Neither of us would be quick to complain, even in the heat of tallsun. A bugles summon echoed across the vast emptiness that was our home; aye, it caught Fina’s attention before mine. She stretched her flaming wings and touched my mind effortlessly; all the while repeating the sound like a broken record.

Said vocal was a name. My name.

It didn’t take but a moment to alter our course.

Three of our kind stood in a cluster. My companion’s sharper raptor gaze caught sight of them first. Images trailed in through our mental link, two faces were as familiar to me as my right wing. The other, a black doe, wasn’t someone I personally knew; but she also didn’t appear to be causing a problem. Guacho was conversing with the stranger, and Africa.

Pitching forward we fell to earth behind them, the metal across my shoulders shimmered from the heat reflecting off sun and mortal flesh. Warm trails of perspiration slithered down thick locks and slipped across my neck. Greedily the sand absorbed the impact from our landing, golden daggers struck purposely. Beneath my feet a pool of gold formed, spreading a few inches around each hoof before disappearing seconds after I took a step away. Magic had returned enough for gold to now follow my footsteps.

Pressing forward I welcomed them with a bright smile and regarded all in company with a strong, “Hail brethren.” Bottomless gaze fell to Guacho lastly, a sheen of curiosity rose, “Report soldier.” He didn’t like flowery words, and I wasn’t one to use them.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

She wasn't suited for life in the desert. Between a thick coat and deep black coloration that seemed to drink the light of the sun as it came close, it was not surprising to find the raven mare suffering in the heat of Tallsun. When she wasn't roaming the lands with eyes and ears open she lay sprawled in the shallow parts of the Oasis, submerged in the lukewarm waters with such a sour look on her face that the horses spotting her made sure to avoid her gaze, anxiously hurrying forth to get away. It was amusing to watch but also had a way of annoying her even more.

She was home for once when a somewhat familiar voice rang through the air in the vicinity. Recognizing Gaucho on his peculiar accent rather than the call for the Commander, Skuggi raised a dripping nose from the cooling liquid with ears perked, curious despite herself. It wasn't unusual to hear the warriors come in to report, but something in the tone of the brute's voice seemed more urgent than normal.

Torn between a desire to remain in her watery haven and a need to know what was going on, the tiny mare rolled over on the feet and heaved herself up with a grunt, instantly feeling the heat of the day as water gushed down back and wings. Shaking the neck in a cascade of glittering droplets she splashed up towards the beach and stepped into the sand, leaving a trail of dark sand behind as hair and feathered appendages kept dripping; it was hard to say when it ceased being water and began to consist of sweat.

Wandering in the direction of the call, the Shadow saw from a distance how the bay General landed and immediately drew attention to himself, approached as he was by two mares; one as black as herself but far glossier, tall and slender where Skuggi was short and stocky, and a gray young girl who made the stern heart of the blackbird ache in pity as she noticed the lacking appendage on one side.

Perhaps she would have said something about it as she stepped up to join the gathering, but no sooner had she stopped and opened her mouth than Midas arrived. Tall, dark and glittering of gold and ivory in the blindingly bright day, he drew her attention as always; with a half-smile the young informant held back her words and simply nodded in greeting of her most recently appointed leader, preferring to let him do the talking so she could do what she did best. Watch, and listen.

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed
Ascended Helovian

[Skipping to move things along - hope no one minds!]

Whatever reply the midnight mare might have made, was lost to Gaucho as his attention fixated on the nearing form of their Sultan. Gaucho's own wings spread slightly from his sides, as if trying to lend himself to Midas' speedy descent their way. His gaze only moved for a moment, as Shadow with seeming near-silence, appeared to join the discussion. But no sooner had Midas' asked for a report, Gaucho was speaking.

"Morning Kri leave - Gaucho patrol wide, make sure no monsters or sea-yewwneekorns" His mind envisioned the terrible creatures that had plagued the land months before, and the dark yewwneekorn that had barred both Midas' and Gaucho from taking maww-ja back to the Throat. "Gaucho fly back over Heart." At this, his stormy gaze grew even more stoic and emotionless than usual, as all enthusiasm diminished from his features. "Gaucho see something." Then, as if realizing his mistake, his antlered brow shook, as if to wipe away the words just spoken. "No - see not something." He qualified - rather philosophically in fact: can one really call an absence of land, a something? "Cave. Deep and big. Cool air come out, and light go in." With his report finished, save for any follow up questions that Midas' might have, Gaucho's exhausted body let out a sharp exhalation. It was almost as if, his duty done, his body finally had permission to rest. His wings slouched at his sides, nearly touching the sands, and his sweat-soaked flanks began to heave slightly as he sucked in air, waiting for Midas' reply.

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas

Fina landed gracefully between my shoulder blades, watching the meeting impassively. She didn’t care much for gatherings, nor the conversations which occurred between them. Guacho relied information that was already known—Kri’s departure this morning had been noted obviously by more than just myself. I nodded plainly without saying anything on the matter, she didn’t report to me with an explanation…surely the Resolute planned on returning soon. No need to worry about things until their due time. The ice King hadn’t been seen again either; I could only assume that he would eventually return.

My sergeant’s body heaved, likely strained from having flown patrols in the wee hours of the morning. It seemed for a brief moment that Guacho was doing reporting; such information was not particularly interesting I supposed, but useful to know that his never failing eyes continued to prove loyal for our family. Just as the thought came, he spoke again. Troubled and pressing for the correct words, he struggled to get them out. I leaned forward patiently—ears perking curiously and Fina’s head swiveling to attention. “Cave.” A cave?

A big cave?

I blinked, casting one eye toward a silent sister who stood by. Was this the same hollow Africa had spoken of? “Where is it?” I asked softly, regarding Guacho respectfully and with a tolerant understanding to his weariness. There would be time to question Africa. While awaiting his answer, I wondered about the caverns. Surely this knowledge might prove useful later, and even warrant an expedition. Fina chirped excitably at the idea of an adventure.

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho's dark ears swiveled forward with Midas' clarification. Hadn't he just said it was when he was flying over the heart? Perhaps that was not specific enough? Doubtfully, Gaucho paused, searching his mental bond with Mara to see if there was something he missed. He hadn't lingered over the cave - at the time, there had been no one around, and investigating didn't seem worth his time. Perhaps he should have? Shifting his weight, he mentally listened as Mara further clarified for him: Heart is big Gaucho. How Midas' find cave? What he need-look for?" With sudden comprehension, the bay nodded.

"Heart. Near center. Lots of grass cover opening, but cave there." Pausing, he wondered if there wasn't more detail he could give. "Easy to see from sky. Nobody there when Gaucho go - maybe more now. Cave have shiny walls." He was of course talking about the crystal that was inside - but from his vantage point in the sky, all he could see was the glisten of the light hitting them, but not their actual shape, which might have made him realize their composition. Or maybe not.

His dark tail flicked at his flanks which were slowly becoming more and more itchy, as his sweat dried in large patches. A shiver ran down his black spine, and Gaucho had to resist the urge to have Mara slither down as well, and relieve him of his physical-distractions.

Image Credits

Deceased

As the blistering, golden glow of the afternoon sun enveloped Africa, standing there patiently against her better judgement with streams of sweat trickling down the curved bulk of her already waterlogged frame, a little group quickly gathered and formed an arc around Gaucho who had brought to them news from beyond the border.
The young mare fidgeted amongst them, swaying her weight between each slender, heavily flinching limb beneath; unable to position herself comfortably to any affect, while the hungry, burning hot sand continually engulfed her ever-squirming hooves. Wearied by the desert climate (on any day- not in particular this occasion, Africa found herself yawning as she waited for the announcement, peering between the steamy bodies congregated and out into the rippling haze beyond which blurred out the distant shadow looming on the horizon- the part finished wall; a stark contrast to the pale red-gold and bright blue surrounding.

As Midas arrived, the mood changed to a more serious, business-like one. Africa noticed the swap quite quickly, having never truly been witness of such; never holding any weight that required a conversation of such a nature. Officially and promptly Gaucho began to address the black and white stallion (whom Africa still believed to be their gallant General), speaking of Kri’s ‘most recent’ departure which he had observed during a morning.
The dappled mare’s feather dressed shoulders twitched autonomously as she thought of Silas who had also being scouting of sorts that morning. There was little understanding between them though, so she had not been made aware of the little Zephyrs observations- only his bizarre mood-swing, which she swiftly put down to their restless night’s sleep.
The little bird nestled against her mottled withers rumbled as his light doze was unsettled by her sudden, though slight, movement.

The bay Pegasus soldier continued his focused, amusingly stern and somewhat choppy report. Africa found it so difficult to hold her focus, and buried the wayward slip of her disobedient eyes into his face- which seemed to be centred on Midas anyway, so she thought it would bother him little. Straining and staring she made particular effort to absorb every single, vowel; every syllable, every pause and- she wondered curiously if the cave was the same one which she and Silas had sheltered in over the past months; illuminated by the glow-worm’s soft blue light, crawling with insects and other wonderful darkness-loving critters. Her thoughts were taken back as she grew drowsy, cast in the blanketing warmth from above, and she began to dream about all she and her night-bird friend had experienced.

“Heart. Near center…”

The soldiers broken sentence ripped Africa back to the present and she jumped in place, her relaxing body startled from the light sleep. Silas, surprised and disgruntled by his perch’s jerk, swept from her back and away from the little group- disappearing quickly into the respite of the tranquil oasis behind them.

It’s not in the Deep forest?” She thought aloud, and ducked her face almost immediately afterwards, realising that the nonsense exclamation was undoubtedly a spike in the already awkward flow of Gaucho’s report- Africa decided, in careful silence then, that when the meeting dispersed, she would find Silas and they would go and investigate the new chasm.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

Guacho finished his report by answering my question with a description that would dictate were said cave was located. I glanced at Africa expectantly; my curiosity was quickly satisfied when she piped in rather suddenly, “It’s not in the Deep forest?” Thus answering my first question, which had been ‘if Guacho’s cavern was the same as the one which had harbored her during the dark blanket that had become Helovia only one season prior to now’. She hadn’t told me all the details about her adventure, and alas, I should have inquired more. Still, as before there was little reason to be overly concerned about a cave in the middle of Helovia’s heart; but to be safe and a large shiny cavern that could be seen from the sky was due a few hours of exploration at the very least.

There was also no such thing as a coincidence.

Straightening, my orbs calmly shift to those that are standing quietly aside in our small group, “I propose we head home for the evening, night is coming soon. Return to your duties. Before the sun rises, I will take a small group to explore the cavern.” Glancing from the group to Africa and Guacho, I added a request, “Ye has been there before, and Africa is experienced in caves. Will ye two like to accompany me in an expedition?” She knew move about holes in the ground then either of us likely did. Even without a wing for travel, her knowledge would prove useful in gathering information.

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

So hot. The sun was merciless indeed; if the blackbird had ever cursed her dark coat and short legs it was now, as the glowing orb fried the back from above and the red-hot sands grilled her hooves and belly from below. If she strained her hearing to its limit she believed herself to hear the sizzling as water dripped from her mane, evaporating the instant it touched upon the hot ground. It cooled her still, ever so slightly easing her suffering; but it would only last so long.

If only Gaucho could speak faster. Inky ears clipped impatiently before his choppy report, the short mare holding back the temptation to grab the stallion by the neck and shake him to make the words roll off his tongue faster. Not that she would reach of course; he was much taller than her, and so strong that it was almost ridiculous. At best she would be able to gnaw at his knees.... But that would likely only drag this whole thing out even longer, and Shadow wasn't prepared to let that happen. It was bad enough as it was.

She almost breathed a sigh of relief as Midas suggested they cut the gathering short. A cave wasn't overly interesting to her, as good as it might be to know of such a place so close to their borders, but it's position and potential threat did warrant a further inspection.

"Might be wise to post a few lookouts in the area, should it be a big one" she murmured with a glance towards Midas, eyes calm but with a hint of concerned wrinkles revealing how the feature in the landscape concerned her. "We don't want anyone gathering there, especially not any... northerners." Using the cave as a gathering point, it might pose a threat to the security of their borders; the last invasion had failed, but who knew what would happen if the enemy had a safe place to gather at and rest in.

As for the expedition, she would leave it to Midas to decide if she was needed or not. While the thought of exploring an unknown region did make her eyes glitter with enthusiasm, Shadow knew her place and her duties; the Sultan would have to decide if this was important enough to warrant her presence.

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Deceased

At the mention of night, Africa turned her large yellow-brown eyes towards the sky. It was true, the sky was a deeper, much dimmer shade of twilight blue and the sun was setting into the distant western horizon- the vast black wash of churning ocean, which neighboured her desert home on three sides. She could spot no stars thought as she gazed through the arc which once had welcomed her passage, and so her attention refocused on Midas as he continued.
She thought secretly, as she watched the curl of his speaking lips that a seriousness had slipped into his character, and couldn’t help but wonder what that new weight across his winged shoulders was- the burden of his military title, the family he never spoke about, his herd and his home. A faint smile drifted across her façade as she marvelled at his ability to shield them all from the troubles which quite evidently cloaked him; a caring and sensitive flicker of sentiment.

Africa nodded at the black and white stallion’s request, though as she leaned to turn and conform he caught her with a second glance. Quickly she steadied herself back in place, ruffling the lonely wing by her right side, and lifting it casually to rest athwart the puddles canvasing her hips, exposing the pink lightly dressed skin beneath. Shadow spoke quickly while they lingered also, mentioning that a selection of well positioned sentries might be wise and Africa found herself nodding with a sudden burst of passion- to her, there was little more unsettling than the horned monsters of the north.

Midas spoke soon after the black mare and Africa’s ears switched to his direction, long and heavy; falling forward with little grace in their normal fashion. “Indeed, I will accompany you. ” She replied with careful enthusiasm, looking to both Gaucho and Shadow respectively, courteously. Perhaps she was a fool for agreeing to weigh down their expedition; selfish and cruel to those born to soar without the shackles of gravity. There was reason for her invitation though obviously, and Africa shifted the bulk of her weight left, imagining that it might be for her recent underground travels; her experience and skills in that department. The dappled mare would not be a bother- she nodded firmly to herself; she could travel with swiftness to rival of any other of her Pegasus kin.

Image Credits