the Rift

white bones and black souls

Hecate Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I watch as she moves through the trees, pale decay. She is a fragile being, and pale as death; she is not dark as the shadows or black as a moonless night, but white as snow and ice, the color of dry bones and skeletons lit by moonlight. When she walks it is delicately, not in the way a unicorn steps gracefully but rather fearfully, as if the ground might reach up and swallow her, or perhaps she might shatter her foreleg if she steps too hard. It is a warm summer day, the sun glowing brightly and cheerfully, a twinkling, winking golden eye, but still the unicorn shivers, head dipping and swaying, trembling like a newborn child.

Hecate pauses in her walk, tail lashing. Her mouth foams just slightly, and what a fearsome mouth it is- all sharp, filed teeth and cut lips.

Above her the birds continue their twittering and chirping, weaving their songs cheerfully, feathers glowing ruby and sapphire among the green shade. Up her head tilts, a girlish smile curling over her vacant features, and she giggles, sounding for all the word like a child. Still, I cannot help but notice the red caught between her stained teeth, the fetid stink of her breath smelling like a corpse- and her smell, even, smells of decay and cold and winter monsters. She- it- is not right.

Not right at all.

I cringe as I hear her voice- such a voice! All silk and velvet, rustic and gentle, but with a peculiar lilt to it that screams and grits like a pebble honing a knife on the edge of hearing. "Helleborr!" She calls, an earnest smile on her milky face. “Where are you, my love?"

A frown tugs at her mouth as no answer comes. The silence is deafening. "Helleborr," she chuckles nervously, pale eyes flicking around, more rapidly by each passing moment. "Helleborr, come out! I don’t like this game."

The sun flickers and dims behind a cloud, casting the world into grim pale shadow.

what is dead can never die

-- open to all and any, but please let phantom post first with Helleborr!

Helleborr Posts: N/A
Unregistered

"Perhaps you're just not playing it correctly, dear sister," comes a disembodied voice from somewhere just behind her, an acerbic lilt clinging to each rasped syllable as they seep past jagged rows of teeth. He is her shadow, the dappled shade of the conifers coiled tightly 'round the pale silver of his skin, dutifully tracing her every step as they navigate through unfamiliar territory. And this game she speaks of, have they not played it many times before- she going forth to lure in those unfortunate enough to take pity on her and they, a duo, diminishing them to a pile of gore?

The very thought makes him hungry, salmon tongue darting from between his lips to clean off imaginary blood, the sweet and sickly taste of which he remembers all too well.

Helleborr withdraws from his homely copse of darkness and exposes himself to a dim shower of midsummer light, the sun deafened as a rather large cloud passes in front of it. Crisp leaves crackle softly beneath split hooves as he comes to stand at his twin's flank, wiry limbs bending and lifting in an almost spidery manner. Idly he traces the sunken grooves of her poked-out ribs as they slide beneath her pallid hide with each breath of air, admiring, yet regretful she should be so frail. "And here I thought you enjoyed playing games," he quips as he cranes his neck a bit, filed teeth seeking out the harlequin's ear with a nibble. His tattered lips contort into a sorry imitation of a smile, beads of slobber dribbling from the corners of his mouth.

You're mine.

He cocks his head to the side in suspicious observance of the forest, so alike and so yet very different from the woodlands of their birth, infested with foreign scents that assault his nostrils as he inhales deeply. The sun expels its gilded fingers over the palisade of trees as it reemerges from behind the cloud, spilling onto his ashen skin in a most uncomfortable way, a film of humidity hanging thick in the air.

An animalistic growl brews in his throat, boiling up his trachea to spill from a mouth reminiscent of a jackal's in a displeased croak. He speaks, and his voice is like a violin in need of tuning: "This place has nothing to offer us, Hecate. Why are we here?"

Vulture Posts: 44
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15'2 :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
[Image: 2nq65o0.png]

Vulture

He had the eye of a vulture –a pale blue eye, with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran cold

I am galloping, and have no intentions of stopping. I need to get out of here, I need to leave this god forsaken rock. I know the entrance, so I’ll be using it as my exit. I’m almost positive that those two dictators that call themselves leaders will probably try to hunt me down, the don’t strike me as the type that appreciate deserters. That matters little, as long as I get the hell away from here.

My breaths come in ragged and short, I am tired, I have been running for far too long. As much as I don’t want to, I know that it’s for the best. I stop for a moment, and allow myself to catch my breath. Images flash through my mind, the little filly staring up at me with sheer terror, pleading for me to stop. I give out a long sigh, but then I scent others. A snicker escapes from my mouth. Why not give some strangers a bit of a start? I look like a wild beast, especially with the blood staining my body, and the feathers embedded into my tail. Maybe I’ll stick around a bit longer, just to check out these strangers. Hell, maybe I can drag this stranger back to the Asylum just to make that bitch Eris shut her mouth.

I silently walk through the trees toward them, my eyes narrowed. Soon I see two, not just one newcomer, but two. A package deal has all the more appeal to it, I can maybe get that red psycho queen off my back. Leaving Helovia has lost it’s appeal in the prospects of making Eris eat her words.

“Welcome to Helovia,” I call to the two as I step out from the trees. “The land in which it is socially acceptable for strangers to approach strangers, you happen to have entered the Threshold. Which can also be known as the place of solicitors, inhabitants of this land come here with flowery words to convince you to come with them to their herds.” My tone seeps with sarcasm, and I know I most definitely am far from the ideal welcoming committee. Eloquence is not my specialty, brutal honesty is. That’s what everyone deserves in my opinion. Why give them false expectations?

I wait for a long moment to see how these two will react. Are they mad enough to fit in amongst the blood lusting crazies of the Asylum? The first way to find out is to observe their reaction to the blood upon my flesh, if it proves to unsettle them I will just be on my way, no reason to waste my time on the mundane.

“I am Vulture,” I throw this out there, “And obviously I’m one of these solicitors, and if you’re one of us, our home is more than willing to accept you… We only accept, well, certain types of individuals.” Let them interpret that as they desire, but I think they can probably figure it out rather quickly.

"blah blah blah."

and so by degrees – very gradually –I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye forever.

Image Credit

Unregistered

The birds. They were so colorful... azure and violet, sapphire and scarlet. She was so pale, so pallid and gaunt and hideously white. What if she just ate them? Would the blue bleed out over her marble satire, would the incandescent oranges and crimsons stain her chest? Would she turns as black as their beaks and gray as their little feet? Her hooves drift over the earth, drawing her closer, her mouth watering. They smell so very delicious, all hot blood pumping through tiny, fragile veins. And she's so hungry too, practically starving...

Perhaps you're just not playing it correctly, dear sister. Hecate's head snaps around abruptly, the bones of her neck cracking unpleasantly, but a smile creeps over the porcelain pallor of her lips, her wicked ice eyes gleaming. "Oh Helleborr," she croons to him, a thin rope of spit slipping out of her slackjawed mouth. Her eyes are hungry. So damnably hungry... the harlot drifts away from the tantalizing jewels perched in the vein-like branches of the trees, drawn towards him, his mighty white darkness, the familiar smell of him, all death and decay and the smell of white mushrooms that creep up from corpses. Beside him, she is tiny, an angel where he is the reaper, he's her giant, tall and grand and full of malice, with his calloused little heart.

She quivers at his caress, moaning softly at the brush of his muzzle over her fragile ribs, gasps at his audacious nibble at her ears. The forest is so bright and golden, they hurt her eyes used to darkness and shadow. But he blocks out the sun, he is her protection, her warrior, her guardian.

"We're here to eat, Helleborr. Don't you remember? All the living flesh is gone from our shade family..." A conniving smile curls the corners of her lips.

Someone approaches, dark and white and dark again. Hecate screeches, nostrils flaring declarative red, shrinking to Helleborr's side before the tension leeches out of her muscles. It's alone.

"Helleborr, I'm so hungry." She whispers, eyes fixated on the stallion, unhearing of his words.

Away from her flank she drifts, towards the stranger's soft face.

He smells of the living.

"I want food."

Unregistered

"We're here to eat, Helleborr. Don't you remember? All the living flesh is gone from our shade family..."

Helleborr grunts. "There is too much life here," he complains, peering up toward the birds who so gayly flutter through the trees boughs many feet above their head, milky eyes staring up with contempt. They are delectable, yes, but so blissfully far from his reach that he despises their existence, blasphemes the vibrant colors emblazoned on their feathers. He imagines plucking them from their wings, sinking his teeth into their flesh if only to cease their grating chirps and to quell his growing hunger.

He whines. He is so very hungry.

Something is near. He smells it before he sees it, a putrid blend of testosterone and living flesh, so unlike the sweet, estrogenic decay of the pale women at his side. Briskly he yanks his head so that his snout points in the direction of the odor, the motion sudden and choppy like the spastic movement of a bird. He waits with a stiff gaze for something to emerge from the brush, the snapping of twigs and the stirring of foliage a sure sign of its eminent arrival.

It is an equine.
How splendid.

His sister's shriek causes the hair along his back to bristle like stiff wire, muscles growing taut in arousal, then slacking, though never quite unwinding entirely. He is now in the counsel of one of the living, afterall, and he, the reaper, seeks to remedy his ailment called 'life'.

The dried-out blood encrusted in his fur provokes something primal within him, reminding him of the hunger that claws and rakes at the pit of his gut and removing whatever shred of conscience he has left. He cranes his head down a bit to better catch his sister's hushed voice and her words confirm his dark thoughts. A wicked grin tugs at the corners of torn lips as he imagines how glorious it will be, spurts of blood staining their pearly fur with smudges of bright crimson. This rogue stallion's words fall upon deaf ears, and were he to know what wicked thoughts churned within this beast's skull, he surely would have turned tail and fled with that same appendage tucked between his legs. The very thought causes Helleborr to laugh, a deep, rumbling trill peeling from a maw forever stained from years of spilling blood.

Normally, one who bears such an affinity to his beloved shades would be spared from his blood-lust, but this one is tainted, you see, the darkness that enshrouds him defiled by smears of vulgar white- he is so clearly removed from the graces of their shadowy kin. A low vibration curdles like bile within his throat in response to Hecate's declaration, delayed in joining her as she moves toward their quarry, rivulets of slobber dripping from his lips as he displays his horrid set of teeth. "It will make for an excellent first course, don't you agree, Hecate?" His eyes do not stray from Vulture, their milky blue depths now swarming with an unsettling conviction.

@[Vulture]

Deceased
Adoptable

Vulture

He had the eye of a vulture –a pale blue eye, with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran cold

I know I should probably feel afraid, but my initial reaction to finding out not only have I stumbled upon crazies, their cannibalistic. You’ve got to be shitting me! The two of them are looking at me hungrily, and goddamnit if they come near me I’ll slit their crazy little throats, I am not about to be filly food. My ears twitch backward and I narrow my eyes, I don’t show fear. These types typically feed off of it, so I believe as long as I look menacing I’ll be okay. When they start to draw close, I lower my horn and back away. Not out of fear, an when I get my distance, I stand taller, taking a look of dominance. These two won't touch me!

“First course? I am sorry but you will have to dine on your own dick before I let you even take a bite out of me,” I hiss back at them, clearly they didn’t even regard my previous words, so I think they probably won’t even listen now, I need a way to catch their attention. An idea pops into my mind, and I have to admit, I am oh so clever. “Why kill me when there is a whole plethora of meals for you, that’s one of the nice things about Helovia, there are a lot of equines here… And these equines may be easier to catch than I am, because I plan to slit your throats if you come near me… Others, all you have to do is approach them in the dark, and their yours. Or are you two such inexperienced hunters that you can't even wait to satisfy your hung pangs? If so, you're more pathetic than I thought.” Taunts won't get me anywhere, I should know that by now, but I know the floodgates have opened and there is no stopping my reckless mouth.

I keep my gaze on both of them, and I tense my muscles in case they decide to approach. They are younger than I am, still developing, while I’m entering the prime of my life, their not even fully grown. I also know this forest, they don’t. All I’d have to do is run fast enough into the Deep Forest and I could lose them with ease, but then there is the factor of my exhaustion. I have been running hard all day, it is only a matter of time before I collapse.

I decide now though, I’d rather die from exhaustion than be eaten by some wannabe predator and his bitch.

and so by degrees – very gradually –I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye forever.

Image Credit
|Elufunt-stock|sophie-y|secondclaw| @ deviantart.com

Unregistered

Hecate sways slightly, shifting her weight back and forth over her hooves, crimson tongue making a swift circuit around her pale lips, eyes never shifting from their victim. He had a red horn, the color of blood. Blood. Is it gore covering his spiralling horn, so unlike her and her twin's gnarled ones, or is it just the color making it up?

Slowly the mare's lips peel back to expose filed yellow molars that cut at the soft insides of her hollow mouth.

She can smell him, the pungent odor of the living betraying him.

With a wariness in her fragile, short-legged steps, she inches closer, peeling away from her twin's flank, coming to circle around the prey. It is the usual plan; they divide and circle. No-one can keep their focus on two moving horses at once.

Hecate reaches out for the soft flesh of the stranger's haunches, aiming to nibble at the thick muscle lining his spine. Not a savage clamp down with her teeth, but little love bites, caressing the length of his spine. It was easy to seduce the dying, to pet and stroke them until the tension leaked out of their muscles. Then they die, and the contents of their bowels spill out over the earth, making a bloody mess. In the snow, it was oft pretty, the stains of crimson and piss yellow, the fragile bones peering out from dark skins. In the summer, it was ugly and bleak and grim, but that was okay.

She was ugly and bleak and grim too.

It speaks, and she listens without hearing, before she realizes what it is saying. Immediately she hisses, a sinister, drawn out tsssssss, and jerks back from it as if she has been burned. "Helleborr," she rumbles. "It has a point."

Unregistered

As Hecate begins to circle, he stands as a distraction, his stare cold and piercing. He scoffs at the stallion's pathetic attempts at warding them away, tail flicking in irritation. "I am sorry but you will have to dine on your own dick before I let you even take a bite out of me." Hysteria bubbles over into deep, abrasive laughter. "Oh, but why would I when there is a perfectly good one standing right in front of me," he taunts. The reaper's ears scoop forward to catch the gritty voice of his sister, then swiftly press back onto the crest of his neck. "It has a point."

Helleborr doesn't take her as the gullible type, but he is beginning to rethink that assessment. "Sister, are you really so impressionable?" His voice is almost mocking as he queries her, venom spewing from his lips as split hooves carry him closer to the man who seems to have appealed to his sister's 'better' nature. "Do you not see what he is doing? He is tricking you, Hecate." His gaze alternates from the pale woman to the black-white stallion, his eyes aglitter with cold accusation as he regards his twin, aggravated that these meals very rarely ever come easy.

"You living are all the same." His words are so very ironic, for is he not living as well? Does Helleborr truly think himself the reaper? -is he truly that delusional? Well, yes. In some ways, he is, but what else can you expect from a kid who literally crawled his way out of a corpse's womb, only to be greeted by a world infested by the shadows of the dead? You would think yourself a member of the undead, as well.

His milky blue eyes bore deep into the man's own, snout dipped and the jagged cusp of his horns pointing toward his intended victim. "You are all clinging on so desperately for one last moment of life. But sooner or later, you always slip." Driven mad by hunger his muscles flinch, stiffen, and bunch, propelling his large body forward with teeth bared and forelimbs extended, sharp, cloven hooves and lethal jaws seeking out the stallion's yet unwounded flesh with vehement intent, coming toward his front-right breast.

@[Vulture] & @[Hecate]

Deceased
Adoptable

Vulture

The colt speaks again, he clearly underestimates me. “Because, those meals won’t fight, I will. You come at me you’ll find your disgusting little throats will be slit.” I plan to make good on my word should these children attack me.

My eyes shift between the filly and the colt. The way she is circling me leaves me at unease, I don’t like it, but there is nothing I can do. These two are absolutely bonkers, and they make Eris look like a saint, which is saying a lot since she wants to spill my guts upon the earth. Well, these two want my guts spilt out, but for a very different than why Eris desires it. Eris finds me a smartass, these two find me as an entrée, but their going to get an entrée that will give them some wounds if they get my flesh. Their blood will mix with mine should they choose to attack.

The filly reaches out to touch my flesh, and I jerk my head toward her, preparing to slice her flesh, but then I realize she isn’t trying to eat me, no, I realize she’s trying to seduce me. My eyes widen in horror as I feel her touch against my spine. Maybe I should feel aroused, but all I can think of is him. I stir uncomfortably as the memories hit me like a fatal blow, and it drives me out of focus for a moment. I can hear his voice whispering in my ears, over and over and over.

“Don’t touch me,” I snap at the filly, “Get your filthy lips and teeth away from my body.” I almost kick out at her, but then she walks away from me, it appears that she is growing more convinced about what I said, and then her nasty little whelp of a brother speaks. He goes on about living and I look at him confused. “Do you believe yourself to be some kind of zombie?” I throw my head back and give out a cold laugh. “You’re not just cannibals, you’re also delusional. Eris would adore you two, you’d be her little lap puppies.” I cackle again at the thought.

There is a change in the little whelp’s demeanor is changing. This colt is bigger than me, but I have my speed to my advantage. As he charges toward me I propel my body to the side, but I can feel his horn graze my right shoulder as I move out of his way. Blood starts to drip down, it’s an unpleasant feeling. My muscles aren’t ready to fight, I have been pushing myself all throughout the day, first in pursuit of that filly and then there was my run here.

I snarl at the colt, and I debate whether to flee or to fight, my body probably can’t handle much more, but I know I may not have a choice.

“You’re not choosing your battles wisely little boy,” I growl to him, “You’re getting too big for your britches.” I lunge toward the stallion first, lowering my horn and aiming it for his left flank. Then I fling my right hoof toward the filly, I’ll just give them a scratch or two and then book it out of here. I have no reason to waste my time with two little cannibals.

"blah blah blah."
[I hope you don't mind him retaliating, if so, I'll modify the post. I'm alright with both of them coming after him, I kinda just ask for no injuries that are near fatal, but serious wounds are alright.]

Image Credit
|Elufunt-stock|sophie-y|secondclaw| @ deviantart.com