the Rift

[OPEN] True hope (Herd meeting, CLOSED)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Days turned sour when Kri didn’t return. The sun still rose, and the wind still blew; but I felt in my heart that something had gone very wrong. Fina nudged my shoulder with her beak, successfully breaking my musing process. Carefully she slide her lean body up my nape by grappling patched neck and taking it step by step. I shuttered unpleasantly but tolerated her nudges and digging claws. “Ye stresses much, worries much.” A heaving sigh came as a preliminary to my response. Gently, I pushed the sand and dirt at my feet around in little circles, digging my hoof down when the soil sprang gold, “Because there is no one else to carry this.”

“There is.” She insisted earnestly, thrusting an image of familiar kin through our link. I frowned at her and shrugged my shoulders,“Aye…maybe.” It didn’t feel right appointing kin to duties, yet it had to be done. Too many of our ranks lay empty; to many of our kin stood in different directions. They had to be unified, or else all would fail.

Slowly my wings unfurled, they stretched to their magnificent limit. With a lingering glance at the old magnolia that had sheltered my family for years. I turned my face to an empty heaven, a silent prayer moving my lips, a prayer for grace, for family. Those that were near and far. That collar around shoulders felt heavy today, weighted by the choices I’d made. Father Earth hadn’t lied. Painted limbs struck out into a full blown canter, a spray of golden gravel flew out behind me. Fina screeched and rose from my neck, she spread her fiery wings wide and launched toward sky. Sand swirled around us in a whirlwind.

We headed toward the stadium of stone. The rising waves greet us an hour before twilight; I couldn’t help but allow the wind to tug my lips apart in a smile. There had been so many different memories in those stones; some good, some bad. I choose to land in the place that Kri might have stood had she been here. Golden sand followed me, Fina sat astride my rump.

Trumpeting toward the desert I called to my kin.

“Come my friends, loyal brothers and sisters of the desert!”

Shinning granules spread from my hooves and trailed out in all directions. Fina shrieked and took off toward the ocean to gather our family together.

OOC: No posting order.

Our colours come alive when I collide with you
with you, with you
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]
Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

Silas noticed the luminous glow of the fire-bird approaching firstly as he sailed at no grand height in miniature circles above Africa who was scavenging for strangely shaped rocks to the south of the oasis. Cautiously he watched the Phoenix as her looming radiance grew larger across the ripple of the blistering horizon. A discontented murmur rumbled through the curve of his small breast- he and Fina had apparently not been particularly fond of one another, when they had met that one other time, previously, and dipping his wings the black feathered creature swooped from his lofty scouting. Within minutes he was fluttering by the face of the preoccupied mare, his bonded, trying to retrieve her focus from her quite unusual activity.

“What are you doing?” The busy young Pegasus uttered, most frustrated that he was getting in her way. Swiftly she issued towards him a curt flick of her face, playfully enough and dressed with a sinister smirk, but semi-serious with her ears reclining backwards. Silas did not heed her bother and hovered close by to her face, clucking his own form of irritation because she was equally not noticing his message. “Alright, alright…” She paused then, poised fairly awkwardly between the jagged face of two heavy boulders, and turned to face her friend. "What is it Silas?" Curiously her honey-brown eyes sought his beady black gaze and they danced away towards the very much larger form of Midas’s companion, rousing the herd- she thought, because it was unusual that Fina was alone.

With a clear view across the rich, red waves of desert sand, she could see that a number of their kin were stirring and moving off as though summoned by a call Africa had missed entirely. “We should go too,” she announced, and stumbled recklessly down the little gravelly hillock which she had been exploring. The slight spray of scattering stone around her stepping hooves frightened the few remaining skinks which had been brave enough to bask in her bumbling company- she had conversed with (at) them graciously, like she did whenever the natives of her home showed some sign of interest.

Hastening her pace through the slippery, low-lying dunes, Africa broke into a gentle canter to cover the ground between herself and Silas, and Fina who was flying away from them again, as though offering a guide to whence they had been summoned. After crossing quickly part way through the all too familiar oasis, slipping down the embankment embracing the Throat itself to sip the cool waters super quickly, and continuing on, Africa noted that they were travelling towards the vast waves of infamous stone- a grand structure and landmark of their home. It was the general meeting ground, where Kri had called for them all on many occasions before.

Sliding to a halt, sodden and lathered with sweat from her overly ambitious journey, Africa nodded to Midas who was so far the only one in attendance. Quietly her wandering eyes sought the stout figure of their leader; Kri (because it was only Silas who had witnessed the departure of the silver-bay mare- and Africa was not a terribly good gossiper).

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Note: she still doesn't realise Midas is their Sultan ;) she's getting there!

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

She had been waiting for the call that rang out across the desert, calling them all to gather. Ever since Kri had left without letting anyone know where she was heading and when she would return the Shadow had expected Midas to arrange a meeting to reassure the herd, and for each day that passed and the Resolute didn't return the need for one such gathering became all the more necessary. It didn't do to have a lead position vacant without due reason, and it certainly would not be good to allow rumors to spread about the reasons for Kri's departure. Too many had witnessed her leave, too many was beginning to wonder when she would be coming back - it didn't take a genius to figure out that unease and restlessness would soon spread unless the issue was addressed.

Thus, the call pleased the black raven and she didn't as much as blink in annoyance of being pulled out of her shaded haven and into the shimmering heat of the desert, carrying the stolen unicorn horn and the golden amulet between her teeth. She quickly took to the sky and headed in the direction of the call, feathered wings carrying her effortlessly through the warm air until she reached her destination, slowly circling the gathering area as she slowly descended.

Small, hard hooves touched down gracefully upon the red sand; with a curt nod in greeting at the one-winged mare she turned to face Midas, inky lips pulled taught into a proud smile - all the more dazzling because of its rarity.

"You look good up there, brother" she teased after tucking away the dangerous weapon under a folded wing, violet eyes glittering beneath the mass of coarse black hair. "Being a Sultan suits you; I look forward to working with you - officially."

Another mare would perhaps have made some sort of reverence, but Skuggi had never really felt comfortable with the exaggerated displays of humility and subservience some horses showed their leaders. In her eyes Midas was an equal who happened to carry a heavy burden; and between two friends there shouldn't be submission, only reassurance. For all that she didn't speak about it, the shade already accepted the gilded paint as a lead; Kri had appointed him after all, and for that and his own kindness to her during the dark times she would do everything she could to lessen the load he carried.

It was all she could do.

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
Remember rights that I did wrong, so here I go.</style>

As the roster of warriors dwindled, Gaucho found himself on patrol much more often. As a result, his body had lost nearly all fat; he was now a mammoth display of lean muscle. But even for such a simple creature, Gaucho knew that this was worrisome - the herd that is, not his body condition. More would have to be done with the warriors. He saw them patrolling far less than they should be. And those who he perhaps had seen more of - Levi for instance - he still did not completely trust. Not with his appearance and disappearance echoing so closely to the Invasion. Still, he would find a way. Even if it meant taking on every patrol himself until others were ready.

The bone that pierced his nose twitched slightly, as Mara sent a mental pulse his way. Midas She hissed silently into his mind. It was odd for him to here the Sultan's name pronounced in such a way - for so long the warrior had only thought of him as My-dus. "My-das?" He offered to Mara, carefully forming the second syllable to try and make it correct. The silver snake laughed her amusement, as her bonded redirected his flight path with a grunt of frustration. Speaking was hard, okay?

Down below, his stormy gaze could already see Midas, Africa, and Shadow. Having not heard Midas' call, the bay could only assume this was the herd-meeting that seemed to be imminent, with Kri having left. Gaucho wondered if there was a cause for alarm, given that the Throat now only had one lead. He did not doubt the paint in any way, but without Kri's military strength, were they vulnerable? Gaucho quickly realized he had never seen Midas in battle before. During their air to the Foothills, they had been on opposite ends of the battlefield, and dark magic kept them from actually detaining maww-jaa that day on the beach. Gaucho and My-das spar he thought as he landed a few feet behind the group.

Folding his dark wings to his glossy sides, Gaucho moved forward. He towered above all of them - though perhaps Africa slightly less-so - which made him feel all the more protective of them. In his antlers, Mara's dark eyes surveyed the rest of the terrain, while Gaucho's came to rest upon their Sultan, and the pseudo platform of gold upon which he stood. With the cave that he had discovered early that week, become a threat? Had Africa learned anything by going there? Was this another trick of maww-ja and the yewwneekorns?

"Sultan." Gaucho said with a smile - for once the word he chose didn't sound like a toy that a dog had slobbered on. He'd been practicing this one. Instead his deep voice was confident, as he lowered his muzzle to his chest, respectfully.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I had come back from an inspection of the border around the threshold. I still couldn't grasp what the source of these vibrations were. They created such a strong wall that I had almost not pass through. But, I had still been able to feel things on the other side, and an almost transparency of the wall. I had tried my luck, and I had gotten across. Really, in my time here, I had simply been going back and forth from the Throat and the Threshold, a couple of times to the water where strange gifts had been offered, and once to the deep forest where I had found the extent of my broken soul.

It was definitely broken without my hawk there to aid me - to be my eyes and guide me in my choices. Alas, his connection was shattered the second I had run through the wall of vibrations. His connection was not allowed to return. His connection could never replacing the missing half of my soul. I shuddered at the thoughts and focused on the vibrations of the metal wall I was walking alongside. The desire to be alone and contemplate the thoughts of the bordering 'wall' of Helovia was something I could not allow to slide idly by. So, I allowed my mind to race.

I had been given the same feeling upon my encounter with the demi-god of the Earth. A radiating power. But, his was of growth, it had instilled calm. No. This wall had been completely different. It had dug it's claws into my heart and ripped the connection that had allowed me to be complete. The unity was gone, and with it came the raging headache everytime I came toward that wall. It had disoriented me so. The closer I got the more it felt like a thunderstorm was trying to take place. Everything close to it was vibrating so quickly that I couldn't get a clear image of what I was near.

No. Something wasn't right at that wall. Something was most definitely wrong. But, I couldn't find a way to explain it, so I didn't dare allow the words to fall from my lips. No one would understand unless they were as reliant on the vibrations as I am. So, when I heard a screech and the flapping of wings. I'm not positive where it is coming from, but the voice I can recall - even if it was from a short meeting once. I headed his call, his call to approach.

My limbs stretched out, everything inching closer and closer until I could feel other horse's frames pooling around a rock, and one of them standing atop it. I didn't dare step into the circle. While I could recognize some of the builds, some of the voices, I had yet to find one that I knew well and considered a friend in this place - the one who had taken me in, the one by the name of Sohalia. Shaking out my mane I positioned my frame in the right corner, behind the crowd.

Some might ask my reasoning for this. Some might say it was disrespectful. But, those some have not had to lead. Those some have not had a huge crowd pulling ever closer and closer to your frame as you speak, as if the next word you say might become their saving grace. No. They haven't. It felt more respectful to me to stand back, to allow him to have his chance to speak, to allow him at least one body's reprieve from encroachment on his space. No words left my mouth, I only dipped my head in recognition. And, with the sound of a deep voice I was notified that this was our leader. I did not know for certain if we had another, but he had my respect for whatever task was necessary to be accomplished.

I could feel my body twitching, the wind blowing. But I still could not say anything. Was there trouble? Should we be worried? Or, was this simply a headcount, to see what was going on as I had so often attempted to call in my lands. But, even then, I had been a myth to most, a joke to others, and the only source of light to the rest. I had not been someone that most saw accessible. I had hidden from the world, ruling from the background and appearing at the threat of a war. They had listened - but they had taunted as well. Everything had changed upon my arrival here. Well, everything that related to my spirit had changed. I was no longer the same mare with someone to guide me. I was broken and twisted, trying to understand the world. I was the one without wings in a herd of creatures gifted with flight. I had less sight then I had ever had...

Was I alone?

823 words
woot! random rasta muse <3

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava

Familiar honey-coated vocals chimed across the desert sands which fell ringing upon my drum. I quickly knew who this voice was, for this voice could not be mistaken. It was none other than my loyal brother, Midas. Gladly, I beat my wings down on the dry air, and in one flap, I rose into the clear blue sky to follow in his words and go to his call.

Before I knew it, I saw my herd members, gathered around him. With Kri having been gone for a long time now, Midas was now the Sultan! My dark lips grinned with glee as I slowly came to a stop next to Africa and I whinnied with a joyous tune towards Midas. I offered a quick smirk at him because I wanted him to know that he deserved to be there. All of his dedication was finally paid off. There was no other member quite like him and in all honesty Midas should have been promoted to Sultan a long time ago.

Pressing my lips together I listened to what the others had to say. They all seemed to be just as thrilled as I was. How great was this?! The Throat led by Midas was going to be so great. And everyone was on his side. My silver orbs traced to each members who spoke and then back to Midas once again. It looked like he should have been in charge all along. It just… fit him! He was born to be a leader, a great sultan. And now this is where he was. Midas was going to lead us to victory.

“Brother might I say that you do acquire the Sultan position quite well and deserve this.” I chime to Midas. “I will offer my services however you tell me to do so and I will stand by you no matter what. I am there, Sultan!” I could not be happier. This was going to be the start of something wonderful and I was looking forward to working with my painted brother and new leader.
"Talk talk talk talk talk."

levi.</style>
  when the light begins to fade, i'll be your guide.</style>
image by geezaweezer @ flickr.com

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

An easy flight brings Onni downward, spiralling toward the waves of crimson and pale eggshell, her light blue eyes scanning the crowd for those she recognized. Standing in the position of her mother is Midas, and the shaman smiles sweetly. However, in the back of her mind, the painted girl is worried. Where was the short staunch mare she loved?

Pale hooves clack upon the rough stone, the rush of air swirling the dusting of sand from her. Glowing brightly like the sun above their heads, the mare carries a feeling of summer to the meeting. From under the fold of her wing, the songbird Lyhty rustles out, floating in the air at her side as the shaman strides toward the gathering. Stepping her way carefully, quietly, listening to the words floating around the air. Words of encouragement, praise. However, with each passing step, the smile and thus the sunlight of the Illuminant dwindles.

Onni finds her place beside Gaucho, the stallion she knew best aside from Midas in this crowd. It is slightly odd to think that one could know Gaucho, for he was a man of few and ineloquent words, but the shaman knew he possessed a large, warm heart, and, for some reason, respected her without question. Quietly, she nods toward the General, a brief and silent greeting, before turning her attention toward the new king of the realm - Midas.

Waiting for the words of others to die down, the mare timidly raises her voice, pale face and eyes drawn with worry. "Midas, where is my mother? Where is Kri?"
 just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Aurelia
the sun will always show you the bright side...

The alabaster child slithered along the sandy dunes to the crowded area. Were these horses from her herd? She had walked here from the lively and beautiful green and blue painted oasis. There had been a variety of colors other than blue water and green grass. A few flowers bloomed around the rippling waters. The water, beautiful and clear, showed her, her clear reflection. Ivory locks of hair started to grow longer than before. What the biggest difference was, was that golden markings covering her flank had started to show more and more gold. Aurelia really was golden, just as her name meant.

Solid hooves slid down the side of a steeper dune. Once the incline leveled to a flat surface, dense legs moved into a smooth trot-- well, as smooth as a yearling could be. White pupils nestled in a circle of caramel irises scanned to the area for her possible step-mom. Yes, Aurelia secretly called her that, but her 'step-mom' was really just one-winged Africa.

The small bodice trotted up behind the paint one dubbed as the ''sultan''. What did that mean? She glided to a halt a few paces behind him and listened awkwardly. She was a part of this herd now and came when called, as did everyone else. “Come my friends, loyal brothers and sisters of the desert!” Yes, she indeed came. Here I am! She longed to say, but her shyness would over-run her bravery at this moment. This Sultan, as everyone had called him and congratulated him for, was large with splotches of black covering his muscular body.

The only other horse that really stood out was a large bay stallion. He was frightening. He had an ivory bone creating a sort of nose ring. He had colorful tattoos all over his body and a black mass of fur. "My-dus." He spoke choppily, but maybe that was the spotted one's name. "My-dus." A barely audible voice echoed through the horses. She imitated Gaucho's choppiness, but in a refreshed softness. If the spotted one heard, would he turn and correct her, or ignore her all together?

After a moment of wonder, Aurelia spotted Africa. She looked up at her, she looked well. Still one-winged, but well. Did she see her already? Did she even care for her?

"blah blah blah."

Aurelia just joined, and I posted here to be safe. Also, she heard Gaucho say Midas' name and copied him. It up to Midas if he hears or not. :3 (Just wanted to clear that up if it caused confusion)

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Ilacta Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Ilacta watches the others quietly, her silver eyes flitting from body to body, nodding in realization to herself as her gaze bounces from Gaucho to the brilliant black-and-white stallion in the center of it all. This must be the ‘Midas’ that Gaucho had been looking for just before she flew off to aid in his search. He was a vision, a solitary vanguard with an evident regality bound in the tight curve of his formidable neck, his gaze staunch and humble all at once. She’d never seen anyone like him—able to lead and essentially control the ways of others, yet remain unaffected by the position.

Thus, she found herself undeniably intrigued.

She meanders toward the group, her right wing jutted forward and over her brow, the tips blocking the sun in the same way a human blocks the sun from their eyes with their hand. She only removes them from her face upon reaching the curved edge of the group, revealing her alien-esque eyes and offering Midas only a slight smile—not attempting to be unfriendly or unappreciative in the slightest, but rather the opposite.

Being ‘normal’ was not inherent to her, and ‘slight’ personable-ness was the only thing she could do at the moment. She knew nothing of him other than the way he carried himself before them, and did not dare shower him in any false-praise in an attempt to mesh well with the others. They all knew him, knew of him, were aware of whatever he had accomplished in his life. It would be daft of her to offer him the same praise; he was but a stranger to her. He was the landlord she’d never seen before, yet heard so many mentions of, here to check on things.

In her eyes, he would need to prove himself just a bit further. Though any leader knew this—one must continually evolve to capture the hearts of them all.

Ilacta *
My mother told me I had a chameleon soul, no moral compass pointing due north,
no fixed personality; just an inner indecisiveness that was as wide and as wavering as the ocean.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

My chest was tight, mostly out of worry—but secondly out of dread. Nobody liked to give bad news. Even though I was a leader, AND even though I had a rather large family that looked up for guidance. I was only mortal. A mortal man who had his own fears, concerns, emotions. Warriors are often taught at a young age to suppress their desires for the greater good of those they protect. It is a practice that had been handed down from generation to generation; and it is one which I followed regularly. There would be time to bury mind in personal qualms…later.

They arrived one by one, trailing from the desert sand. My attention was drawn by Africa, who was among the first to arrive; I returned her nod with a passive smile that gave away nothing of any nerves that might be rocketing through the blood. My body remained posed and still, relaxed as one could be before announcing to a congregation. Ivory wings slide closed, the tips of my primary reached far behind me.

Shadow arrived soon after; I would be doubly thankful for her presence because her smile and words succeeded in cracking my strained facade into a natural chuckle. “Thank ye, and work we shall.” A moment for humor, a moment for the love I had for each of them to shine through. These were my family, my brothers and sisters. Terms weren’t taken lightly; we are a group that had recently grown more tightknit. When Guacho arrived, I met his eyes and lingered. He addressed me fondly and smiled, “Sultan.” I offered the newly appointed General a returning halfsided grin; no wonder Kri had been so against being called Sultana.

Rasta came sliding from the desert and positioned herself near the rear of those that had gathered. She shifted uneasily and I wondered if the gathering bothered her; particularly because she was nearly the only one in attendance that wasn’t in some way feathered. Levi came up next, all smiles and excitement—his energy seemed boundless at the best of times. He congratulated my rising and I forced out yet another grin. The pledging of life was an honorary vow.

Onni. She looked up at me expectantly, I didn’t have to be a mind reader to understand what the lass was thinking. “Midas, where is my mother? Where is Kri?” Frowning now, I glanced down and bowed my head respectfully to the daughter of our missing Sultana. Worry mixed with sadness became the forefront expression, “She has taken leave of the Throat,” visibly sobered I added softly, “We will speak on this more in a moment.”

A few others come, most of them new faces. Unfamiliar folk that had just arrived upon our sandy domain. Fina appeared last, her flaming wings alight with sunfire. She silently alighted across my spine, cooing quietly before falling dead silent. I struck my left dagger against the solid stone below, once, twice, calling all lingering conversation to cease.

“Welcome,” I called to all, “Sons and daughters of Dragon’s Throat; welcome to those that stand as a guest or among this family for the first time.” Gazing across the many faces I went on to rely the ill-fated news, “As some might have heard or even witnessed, Kri, the Resolute of Dragons Throat, was spotted flying away with a company of Pegasus who had wings like that of a dragon or bat.” This information may or may not be of any use to Onni, “She remains absent.”

“For those that are new or in question of our outside ties. Worlds Edge is still our allies; their members are to be treated with respect—their borders are to be honored. Asylum proved their loyalty during the last Basin invasion, they also stand as ally.” Frowning I added, “The northern territories have been hostile for years; the Basin is to be avoided unless otherwise commanded to interact.” Tone found strength as the report went on, “Hear this warning comrades. Keep distance from them. If thou travels to the Basin, know that ye are doing so without the blessing of family and are knowingly risking your life.”

Hopefully they would listen. I motioned for Shadow next, nodding toward her direction to capture attention, “Shadow, your loyalty and hard work have been noticed.” Turning back to the gathering I said, “Kin I present to ye my choice for Sleuth; she has become a boon in both battle and stealth. Under her guidance it is my hope that others will arise.”

“What say ye?”

OCC: There will be one, maybe two more rounds of posting. Depending.

with you, with you

Deceased

Look down
The ground below is crumbling
Look up
The stars are all exploding

While the crowd gathered in the rust-red and cream canyon of landmark waves, Africa took the time to study each of them- the fresh faces and the familiar, so that she might grasp some sense of who exactly their family had become. It became quickly apparent that a fairly new generation had swept through the clan of the Throat. Quietly she regarded any who met her passive, curious amber gaze with a warm nod, and she could not help but wonder about them; their past, their attitude, and possibly most importantly their ambitions.
One in particular caught her eye as a last wave of stragglers came to join them in front of Midas. It was Aurelia, the sweetheart who she had removed from the callous claws of the Threshold; the sandy white girl who had captivated both her heart and soul. Carefully she turned between those who had nestled in by Africa’s flanks, apologising softly should she have bumped against them as she went. The one-winged mare moved with effortless grace to the side of her young friend and slipped across the clean, unscathed slope of her back that only wing- black primaries reaching across to cradle and support; a typical Pegasus gesture, and one of affection.

Then Midas began to address them all.

Africa was taken aback by the news he presented, and squirming a little in place (discreetly though so as not to bother Aurelia), she noted Kri’s absence and wondered, like perhaps they all did, whether her leave was a permanent thing. Internally, deep down through the throb of her heart she hoped for the silver-bay commander’s safety- wishing her return to them one day, without harm.
So too did the young dappled mare take considerable interest in the new title of the (former) General. A bright, enthusiastic smile dressed the sudden flood of grave sternness which had overwhelmed her pale expression previously, and she silently celebrated the worthy news of the loyal black and white stallion’s promotion in the herd. She wished him every success and pledged herself and her will to his service- and that of their Throat. No one, she thought reverently, deserved the honour of leadership more; though she was quite aware of the responsibility and toil that would overshadow that title; Sultan.

Soon enough, the conversation shifted towards the black mare who had spoken not long after Africa’s arrival to the meeting. She smiled warmly in support of Midas’s choice for Sleuth, though really, the grey mare knew very little about Shadow- or the role which she was to assume. She made the decision then to find Shadow at a later time, and speak with her concerning her new responsibilities, and those which she would expect from the students following her guide. Africa would be certain to present herself as available and approachable should ever the black Sleuth or her understudies require support in any fashion.

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
Remember rights that I did wrong, so here I go.</style>

Gaucho's dark ears flopped slightly, as Onnnmnmnmnmnmneeee appeared. He had never seen the shaman in any state other than quiet poise, even when she had been injured by the monster. She always seemed to self-contained and calm, yet it seemed that worry was now etched on her graceful features. Had he known Kri was her mother? Gaucho probed Mara's mind for an answer, as if she was the embodiment of his memory, but the snake only mentally shrugged. She hadn't been around the entire time that Gaucho had lived in the Throat, only most of it. Maybe? She replied, her dark gaze falling upon Onni, but moreso searching for the snackable size companion who usually accompanied her.

His thoughts were pulled away by the petite golden-dapple mare - a mare who would otherwise have gone unnoticed, had she not mimicked his word. His teeth clicked together as his antlered brow rose, stormy gaze peering down at her. Was she making fun of him? Unsure of this herself, Mara slithered slightly down his nose to try and see past Midas, to where the girl was standing. She appeared...naive? Was that the word? Maybe just new, and so with a soft hiss, Mara retracted, sure that the girl hadn't meant any harm. Maybe she like you, the snake offered silently, her forked tongue brushing against Gaucho's ear. The bay grunted in response, and nodded. Maybe, he replied mentally. Speaking, hard..

Gaucho listened intently as Midas spoke, trying to store all of the important words and phrases, doing his best not to loose what his Sultan was saying. He heard him speak of the Ed-jah, which he realized he had never visited. Mentally noting that he would go there next, he almost missed Midas speaking of the Ass-eye-lum. The next order of business was to the dark mare, Shadow. He had seen her often, hiding her dark coat beneath some equally dark shadow, to escape the sun's heat. Silently and simply, he wondered why such a rank was necessary. Gaucho get? He mused, wondering why they couldn't simply take by force, what Shadow might silently steal. Women, he concluded finally, noting that while Shadow had proved herself in battle, that perhaps this was her preferred method of contributing. He only wished more of his brothers were like that. It appeared only himself and Levi were present to represent their militia, and after their previous challenge, Gaucho still remained somewhat skeptical about his abilities.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Aurelia
the sun will always show you the bright side...

Sentences, sentences, sentences, Edge, Shadow, Hiss... White pupils flickered to the large bay in which she'd mimicked, yearning for knowledge. Hiss... The sound replayed in her mind. As her gaze locked onto what could only be a snake, the sound stopped replaying in her head. She stared at the pair. Her glares had often made many squirm under such an immense focus, but in reality, she wanted to know more. She wanted to know what My-dus' head looked like, for all she could really see what was his ass. At this moment though, she could see all of the loyalists, save for the ones standing directly in front of My-dus.

She did not see hear coming. Africa, mom, step, step mom. Would she never have a true real mom? Africa was really all she had right now, so how was she supposed to not feel obligated to call her something of superior meaning. The grey mare came to her, flocked to her. It was as if Aurelia was her very own child, and needed all the protection. The alabaster girl watched the grey dapples on a shiny coat glitter under the sunlight. Africa was pretty, anyone could see that... anyone who could see past her naked side.

Floosh, flop. Her one wing covered a white bodice. As quietly as Africa had come, Aurelia could still hear her and see her vividly. No, she didn't expect pure silence from the mare, but tromping over here with sand spraying around everywhere wasn't to noisy, at least. Africa was still graceful. She had a sweet ease to her that made the golden and alabaster girl love her more. With her wing covering the lass, it got hot, but she liked the warmth. It felt like boils were forming on the child's body and she was going to explode with happiness. For once, the speck of gold and white in this world had a home, a mom (even if she didn't know it), and people that could train her into something wonderful.

"blah blah blah."

ReQuay.deviantart.com | cammyandbaylee.deviantart.com

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
More people were showing up. They were coming slowly, but respectfully and diligently. I stayed at the back. I waited for familiar frames to come into view. I waited for something that was a comfort to curl in my brain. A couple more had come not too long after me. But, none were those which I was close to. My poor brain was tumbling around trying to understand how I could not have met so many of these winged creatures.

I shook my head once. I suppose it could have been easy, especially if they had been flying around instead of walking. But, the thought of not knowing them was starting to get sickening. I could feel my stomach tumble as I backed up another couple of steps. One mare asked where her mother was, where Kri was. The name should have rung a bell, but it didn't. After all, I hadn't even met one of the leaders here. I only recognized the voice of the mare who had asked, the one who had come right after Sohalia had given birth at the border.

Midas said that she had taken leave before a couple more appeared and took their place in the semi-circle around him. Yet again, I moved off to the back corner, not wanting to be so close to the wings should the equines suddenly have the desire to take off into the air. Midas' voice calls back out to the crowd again, and so my audits perk forward, carefully listening to what was going on. A welcome. An explanation of this Kri leaving, and what she had left with. A run-over of our ties. The Edge, and the Asylum. I stored the names in my brain for future reference as he explained the Basin was not to be traveled to. I was fine with that. I did not like the cold. I did not like the snow. I liked the water and all it had to offer - all of the memories of home. I dropped my head a little, feeling as he motioned toward a winged mare, calling her Shadow. Promoting her to Sleuth.

Again, no words spilled from my maw, just a simple bob of my head in her direction. I could feel the one-winged mare pull up beside a younger one, perhaps her child, I did not know. And, I could feel a few others shifting, but I did not hear any words. It was silent. I didn't really mind, not too much. But I was still uncomfortable. The wings still bothered me. The fact that any could fall - quite literally - into the meeting at any minute also put me on edge.

Would I ever learn how to understand the vibrations of the wind?

462 words
Sorry it sucks |:

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava

Levi listened to each member speak, but something of guilt hit him when Onni spoke. He had forgotten, momentarily, that Illuminant was Kri’s daughter and the worry she must be feeling about her mother going astray must have been bubbling in her system. The soldier did not think Kri was leaving forever; she just simply was going on whatever mission she planned for herself and then was going to come back and lead with Midas, right? But then he contradicted himself when he listened to Midas say they would all discuss the matter later. Levi’s head tuned towards Onni and he flashed a look towards her as he searched for her gaze. It was out of concern, but he wanted to make sure that she would be alright so he shot her an everything-is-going-to-be-okay look even though he was not sure if everything would be.

Again his attention went back to Midas as he spoke. The painted Sultan spoke about the World’s Edge still agreeing to be their ally and then a new ally, The Asylum. He did not know about the Asylum, but guessed they were a mercenary group. And then his attention went to Shadow as Midas offered to promote her to a sleuth rank. Even though Levi had never met Shadow, he had heard great things about her services. He gave a soft smile, knowing that she deserved this. And then he waited patiently for Midas to speak or for Shadow to speak.

"Talk talk talk talk talk."

levi.</style>
  when the light begins to fade, i'll be your guide.</style>
image by geezaweezer @ flickr.com

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

She has taken leave of the Throat.

Onni frowns, knowing that Kri often would leave the Throat unannounced; her mother had never been one to update others on her whereabouts. Much like the wind around them, the Resolute was a force of nature that could not be controlled. The shaman thought the element borne into her mother's blood fit her personality uncannily. Still, the worried lines of Midas's face spoke to just how long the Commander had been missing. The Illuminant felt the absence slam like a weight onto her back. She remains absent.

Downward her eyes fall toward the sand, an ear flicking back uncertainly. Her frame would seem to shrink, especially beside the hulk of Gaucho, though physically she is unchanged. Somehow, though Kri would venture off, it had never felt uneasy in her breast. That no one had any idea where she went was troublesome.

As Midas speaks of the Basin, Onni's crown rises slightly. She thinks of Carnesir, her new friend, as he speaks of avoiding the Northern unicorns. What would he say if he knew of her friendship? Kri would likely chide her as a child, but somehow the mare would find it patronizing for Midas to do so. The painted beauty had more than enough reason to hate the unicorns of the Basin. She had been nervous around the grullo boy at first, but meeting one with hatred ensures the return of it.

Knowing it is not her place to speak against the word of the newly crowned Sultan, Onni remains silent. She stands like a statue amid the waves of her so called family, having already lost the only family she had left.
To give light, you must endure burning.
 just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

She watched from the corners of her eyes as they answered the call of the gilded stallion, trickling in one by one until a small, solid core of horses were gathered around the painted sultan. The apparent decrease in numbers since the last meeting just after the sun had been lost to the Evernight made her frown slightly, in worry and wonder. Where had they all disappeared to? Where was Hector, Kri, Sumati and Cera, to where had the wind blown them off? Her chest ached at the lack of their presence, she found herself annoyed at the sight of the new faces in the group - as if they had stolen the places of their predecessors, come to replace souls who's hoof-prints they could never truly fill.

In times like these it was good to have the familiar faces around. The towering giant that was Gaucho, ever present and comforting to behold yet a person she hadn't spoken to; something to be remedied, as was the lack of information she had on the one-winged gray, on the radiant paint who's gentle face was lined with worry - had she known Kri had a daughter? The shape of a wingless mare in the periphery of the group was nameless to the raven but seemed familiar enough as a memory of a fruitless chase across a glittering ocean rose from the depths of her mind. And the sleek black mare she had crossed paths with not long ago - a curious femme whom Skuggi would have to hunt down for a proper chat, one of these days.

So many new faces; it would take time to get to know them all. But it was a part of her duty, and a pleasure to that; for all that she had lived in the desert for almost a full year, the nomad still hadn't fully realized that she was a true part of this family. A solid point, a place to return to; all that she had longed for since she was a foal, all that had been lost as her mother died and father chose to travel a different path.

There was a softness to her smile as she turned her attention back to Midas as he began to speak, a benevolence that made the sometimes brash and harsh mare seem more approachable than usual. Despite the seriousness of the topics addressed, despite her own worry for the disappeared Sultana and the severity of the threat of the Basin and the knowledge that she still had so much to do once this meeting was adjourned, she couldn't help but love every moment of it. She was a part of something, she belonged in this place, and that made her normally so closed off heart beat faster, warmer, stronger for the ones that surrounded her.

Shadow flinched as her name suddenly was pulled up; it took a moment for the words of her brother to sink in, but once they did her smile widened in sheer, honest joy and gratitude. Could a heart burst from happiness? She sure hoped not, because the little blackbird of a mare wouldn't want to lose her life now; not when she finally had received recognition from one of her closest friends in the entire herd.

"Thank you, Midas" she managed to say before the brief silence could drag out too long, "I am honored and gladly accept." It was a good thing that her coat was so dark, that she finally could manage the bow she had left out as she first arrived; the blush on her cheeks would have been too embarrassing, too unbecoming for the head of all the spies and informants. It took effort to keep the voice calm and steady as she straightened up and turned to let sharp, alert eyes that missed very little sweep over the crowd.

"I will do my utmost to ensure the safety of you all, along with the warriors that guard our borders." She offered Gaucho and the other soldier a recognizing nod before continuing. "Where they are our muscles we are the brains who work where most eyes don't look, trying to keep one step ahead of every event both good and bad, so that the herd will always be able to act swiftly and decisively. I would like that all who wish to contribute to this work join me for a moment once our Sultan has finished; we have much to discuss."

With a short nod to the crowd she returned the word to Midas, prepared to keep listening yet with her attention partly distracted by the whole new dimension of responsibility that had fallen on her shoulders. She could only pray that she would be worthy of the trust she had been shown.

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

There was still much that had to be voiced. I didn’t have to wait long for Shadows response, and during the few moments of lapsing silence there murmurings in the crowd (what I hoped was approving musing). Shadow accepted the title with grace, and turned to her fellow comrades with a focused smile; already stepping naturally into the role of Sleuth. Black lips curl into an easy smile; the choice to promote Shadow had been an easy one.

With a quick nod toward our new head of spies I started again, this time taking in the frame of yet another female that stood in our mists, “Africa, the Sun God has deemed thee is worthy. Come, stand before your family.”

Gently tucked inside my feathers between flesh and spine were two precious gifts, tokens of appreciation. Sand slide up my ankles and plucked both such gifts from my coat. The golden pools of each gem caught the fading light of our sun, the center glimmered with a beautiful array of twilight. They were both Sun amulets. The sand curled around each amulet and chain, lifting them higher for the whole congregation to see. “I present this amulet to ye, and with it the title and responsibilities of Oracle.” Gently the amulet swung forward, my element slowly slide the gem across her crown and down to slopping shoulders. Heaven had spoken, I wasn’t about to get in the way of divine intervention.

The other honeyed amulet swayed round and round, I smiled at Africa— lingering on her for only a moment before turning my gaze back to the crowd, “Onni, step forward.” When the amulets had appeared and her name was whispered in my ear, I had been glad. “Ye has worked hard to mend the broken. The Sun god hasn’t overlooked your efforts and neither has your family. Thank ye for faithful service.” Gently lowering the other amulet, I carefully placed it across her patched shoulders. Without missing a beat my voice lapsed on, “There is yet another who deserves recognition. Levi, assume the mantle of Sergeant. Ye has worked hard, but more is required still. Train with your brothers and see position rise even higher.”

My gaze fell upon him for a moment, expecting no qualms.

“The wall remains unfinished. I call on our forger to complete this task; those of you that have a desire to help, seek out Sohalia.”

Swallowing hard, I paused for a moment. Allowing the herd to absorb all the new information, “Guacho, come and stand before your brethren.” Giving him a moment to shift through the crowd, I waited till he was ahead before continuing, “There is nobody among our ranks that has fought and bled more so than him. He stands today as a warrior who has been tested time and time again; today it is my wish that he rises higher still. Guacho, will ye stand by me, assume the crown of our Resolute…until such a time she is to return?”

OCC: phff..so much information XD! One more round guys, ya can do it !!

with you, with you

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
The ground around Africa suddenly blazes to light with harmless flames. For a moment, Africa is engulfed in brilliant light, before it dissipates quickly.
The Sun God is well pleased with his choice of Africa as Oracle.

Deceased
In the night the stormy night she'll close her eyes
In the night the stormy night away she'd fly

Few others around her spoke when the time arose, only the low rumble of various murmurings resounded; and then quickly the familiar sound of Midas’ calm, confident, baritone voice again rose between the hot stew of bodies present. The stallion who Africa regarded so highly turned towards her with news that was equally as astonishing as it was welcome, and she concealed the brilliant nervousness that suddenly flared through the boiling course of her blood, and nodded modestly in place- flashing for him though, and any who looked, a grateful, humble smile.

Suddenly as the trail of his words dissipated, the sand beneath his feet began to move, much like it had when she had shown to him the Earth Amulet. Africa watched with untiring amazement as it appeared livingly, to reach upwards and retrieve a pair of stones (similar to the treasure which was slung around her neck upon a chain), from within the stallion’s feathers. Tethered so daintily to each was a chain, just like the one Midas had crafted for her Amulet. Through it the last of the day’s light reflected beautifully, and Africa’s breath caught in her throat.

Again their leader spoke and Africa listened carefully; devotedly with a graceful smile decorating her whiskered grey mouth, caught between the kindly gaze of her friend; her Sultan. The Sun Amulet was slipped over her face and long ears so delicately by the fingers of magic and Africa felt its new weight slump gently against the flesh of her rippling breast, nestling there alongside its Earth equivalent. The ground around her ignited in the same moment, though the flames which licked brightly about her as the dimness of evening grew heavy, inspired no fear in her heart. The phenomenon was brief, soon dissipating back into the ground- though Africa felt warm still, whether by the hand of enchantment or simply the happiness which spread throughout her soul.

Midas next addressed Onni, the healer who had (unbeknownst to Africa) been working tirelessly during recent times to mend the sick and injured amid them; and she was gifted the second Sun Amulet which matched her own. The one-winged mare though immediately as she passed a thoughtful eye amongst the crowd, that her work must have been immaculate- she could spot none who might have suffered; all present were physically healthy and fit. A warm, smile graced her expression as painted Pegasus was rewarded for her work.

As Levi’s name was raised, Africa was delighted. Fondness for the fearless (remarkably sensitive), warrior stallion stirred in her heart and the young grey was pleased for his rise in their ranks. His personality held a quality that Africa could relate too, and she had easily called him as friend.

She recognized Sohalia also through the speech, and peered through the faces for the familiar pale mare who had shared so much knowledge with Africa. She was not easily found by the roving pair of amber-brown eyes though and they settled comfortably for the moment on Aurelia who still stood by her side. Tenderly, the mare’s lips sought to dabble in the juvenile flop of the filly’s snowy mane right where it reached forward between her ears.

And then last, but certainly not least, Africa listened with deep interest as Gaucho was drawn from their midst to stand by the side of the black and white Sultan. An admiring grin parted her stormy lips as the two stallions moved to stand close to one another at the head of the herd, and she knew without second thought that Dragon’s Throat would survive the grim loss of the Resolute; of the stalwart mare who had weathered them through many battles and challenges- she who would not be lost to history.
Africa felt more than comfortable there, beneath the shadow of her rightful leaders and exuded the sentiment wholly, with a bright, swift cheer for them both- for the strength and resilience of the family around her.