the Rift

[OPEN] makes me wanna fly [open]

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
ranjiri
                                                   calmness is the cradle of power

I learned how to fly.

Yes, you heard me right. I learned how to fly.

Okay, so maybe I wasn't the most graceful at it. Or the most skilled. But I taught myself how to fly. I couldn't even begin to explain just how good it felt to be soaring through the air, racing birds, diving through clouds (which can be pretty cold on the inside), catching drafts that push you up, up, up! For all the fun flying was, though, landing kinda sucked. I still hadn't gotten it down quite yet so most of the time when I landed it was more of a toppling-head-over-heels-falling-flat-on-your-back-and-staring-up-at-the-sun, kind of landing.

Not very graceful, like I said. It was actually kind of embarrassing and, unfortunately, that was exactly how I crash-landed in the Dragon's Throat after spending all day flying around.

It also sucks when your wings get tired, just so you know.

Anyways, I hit the ground and tried to stay on my feet, but like I said I still hadn't quiet gotten it down on how to land, so my butt came up over my head and I did what I'd gotten used to doing. I tucked my head down and pulled my legs up so when I rolled they wouldn't be stuck out in odd ways and go places that they shouldn't go or bend ways they shouldn't bend. When I finally stopped there was a cloud of dust around me and I was flat on my back, my forelegs tucked against my chest, my back legs sticking straight up in the air, and my wings spread out at my sides.

I'd become a professional stunt woman at this point, okay. I perfected the crash-dive-roll.

I hadn't come all the way to the Dragon's Throat to just lay in the sand and dirt, though. So I tucked my wings in and rolled to my side and shoved myself up so I was on my hooves and the world was right side up. Like it should be. I wondered how long it would take for the horses of the Throat to find me, because someone had to have seen me come crashing down, right? I wondered if they heard the boom! when I finally hit the ground.

I sure felt the boom!

I wondered if Daddy would find me before anyone else. He was the reason I'd come out this way, after all. I wanted to tell him that I was going to be adventuring with Ros.

Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

Gravedigger, when you dig my grave can you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain..

[STEALS ALI THREAD. xD ]

Perhaps some parents, after watching their first born stumble into this life, become hyper-aware of other youngsters. Their parental drives kicking it into high gear, and suddenly feeling sympathy and empathy for all of the young creatures of Helovia. It should come as no surprise to you, that Gaucho did not feel this way. While he did keep his eye out for his particular offspring, his concern failed to extend past young Zeno.

Still, a falling pegasus is pretty hard to miss.

From his place in the skies, Gaucho watched the young tri-colored filly with a stoic gaze. His own patrol led him in roughly the same path that she was taking, and so he could simply not help but to see her crash-land into the Throat below. Gaucho snorted, meaning to continue his patrol unburdened by the child, but Mara insistently hissed and weaved in his antlers, sending him mental reprimands - which, had the pair known that this was Midas' daughter, would have been stronger. With a grunt of annoyance, the large bay banked to the left, gliding easily and with long practice, down to the blisteringly hot sands of the Throat. Gaucho landed with considerably more grace than the youngster, which might have been hard to believe, given his primitive oaf-ish appearance.

His wings tucked neatly to his flanks, as his chiseled body towered over hers. By the look of her build, she would one day grow quite tall - which again, had he known who her father was, might have made him chuckle. "I Gaucho. You hurt?" He offered rather stiffly, his gaze washing over her awkwardly as if she were some foreign entity. In his antlers, Mara hissed a reprimand, and slithered forward on the bridge of his large nose, to see if she could see any damage to the child.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 words words words.</style>

Worrying hadn’t done anything other than create stress lines across my once flawless façade. Fina chided me, “Go fly. Patrol. No think.” She was right, as usual; patrolling, nay flying in general was a source of relief. I smiled at her and pushed out from under the ol’ Magnolia to do as the young phoenix advised. Fina took wing as well, speeding toward heaven. She urged me up by applying a teasing tug on my forelock. My face relaxed into a rare smile, feathered limbs pumped hard to draw my heavier bulk into the sky. Soon we were both racing across heaven, sliding neck and beak. She hissed at me mischievously and cracked it up a notch. Her fire could condensate the air enough that a tiny trail of white followed behind. I allowed my concerns to fade, concentrating instead on how the wind felt beneath wings and across my body.

Sometime later Dragon’s Throat border came into sight, we had long since stopped our race. I coasted us high enough to see across the vast expansion of land, yet low enough to make out abstracting dots that could pinpoint someone daring to trespass. Two dots in particular caught my attention; innocent curiosity ordered me lower, I wouldn’t interrupt whoever it was if they were recruiting. It wasn’t polite. Fina hummed passionately and thrust an image toward my mind. A golden child, her face alight with my secondary element.

My mouth gave slack and I spared a surprised glance at Fina. Appendages instantly tucked and I become a hairy bullet; whose impact range would strike in moments. Sandy earth rushed to me, Fina soared near me, and at the last moment we pulled up to avoid becoming a squashed ameba. Wings extended nearly in unison, there was a twinge of pain within the corners of my collarbone. Sand curled up from below, rising to meet its bender.

Golden sand absorbed any impact. Fina glided toward my rump and positioned herself, while I gracelessly gathered myself. Granules fell harmlessly to the ground again. My wings remained extended, perspiration slithered down each flank. Still breathless, chest heaving from the flight I said, “Ranjiri, my child.” Walking openly toward her I extended myself and offered a Pegasus version of an embrace. Nudging my muzzle down to brush her warm back, “I’ve been worried,” I whispered for her ears alone. Gaze shifted to Guacho a moment later, my lips curved into a content grin, “Guacho, dear bother I would like ye to meet Ranjiri. My daughter.”

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

ranjiri

[yay i get an aud thread!! :D]

The first one to find me after my crash landing into the Throat wasn't my dad, but I can't say that I was disappointed about it. I like meeting new people and his guy was new people. I watched him, studied him as he landed and came to the conclusion that I didn't know what the heck he had done to land so gracefully. I'll admit that some of my watching and studying wasn't all about his flying. He was big. Tall. Muscular. Strange looking. He even smelled kinda funny, but with him looking so big and buff and muscular and my dad nowhere in sight to protect me from him if he decided to have me for lunch I decided not to point that out.

"I Gaucho. You hurt?"

I remember wondering if he saw me shiver when he spoke. Gruff voices like that tend to make me shiver a little and its not a bad thing by any means.

"I'm Ranjiri." I said, grinning sheepishly Gaucho. Obviously he'd seen me crash land, which I found to be preeeety embarrassing considering I was a year old and hadn't really learned the basics of landing at that point. "But you can call me Jiji." He seemed to not be one for talking much, anyways, so I figured a shorter version of my name wouldn't hurt. I tilted my head as a snake slithered out onto his antlers. Unlike some other girls my age, I was not scared of snakes. I thought they were pretty cool, actually.

"Well hello, beautiful." I whispered to her and took a step forward. I stretched out my neck and offered my muzzle so that I might be able to touch her, but then daddy appeared in a cloud of sand with Fina right behind him.

The bird still intimidated me.

"Dad!" I turned away from Gaucho and his snake, momentarily forgetting about them as I skittered off to greet him. He did as he always did and ran his muzzle all over me and I giggled a little, thinking that he would have gone into super mother-hen mode had he seen me splayed out across the sand only a few moments before. Then I worried that he'd find the gap in my golden feathers where there was one missing courtesy of the briar bush, so I pulled back and grinned.

"Aww, you don't have to worry about me." I answered back, still grinning. It started to make my face hurt, grinning and smiling so much, but I hadn't seen my dad in a really long time. I began to prance in place as Daddy introduced me to his macho friend and I had already forgotten the reason that I'd pulled back from dad. I was just so excited, you have to understand. I taught myself how to fly without any help from anyone else.

"Guess what, dad!" I spread my wings out at my sides and flapped them a few times. "I can fly now!" There was no mention of the landing part. None at all. Dad didn't need to know right then about how I'd perfected the crash landing.

@[Gaucho]
@[Midas]

Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

Gravedigger, when you dig my grave can you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain..

Gaucho of course, wasn't surprised that she had a rather complicated name. It seemed that everyone did. But what he had also noticed, was that more and more offered up some shortened version, that was much more manageable. At times, it made him ponder (in his own simple way), if this was something he was meant to do as well. But what was the shortened version of Gaucho ? Gg-ow? Or maybe, as the filly had done, you're meant to shorten it, and then double it? Such that Gaucho, becomes G-ow--g-ow, in the same way she was gee-gee? With an impatient snort to clear his mind of such complications, Gaucho focused his gaze back on the task at hand; this pesky business of names.

"Gee-gee" He carefully crafted, and found that surprisingly, the name rolled off his tongue rather easily. A proud smile graced his rugged features, as Mara dipped down his nose. As the child neared, Mara hissed eagerly, her forked tongue darting from her mouth in an effort to catch the child's scent. It wasn't often that her greetings were met with such enthusiasm, in fact, it was usually quite the opposite. Her silvery scaled skin briefly touched the youngster's outstretched muzzle, before Midas appeared to ruin the moment. Sulkily, Mara pulled back, glaring ignorantly at Midas.

As Midas spoke, Gaucho's dark muzzle opened slightly in shock. Child? his mind dumbly wondered, as he looked from the golden-etched stallion, to the tri-coloured child. Instantly, images of his own offspring flashed in his mind, though Gaucho certainly didn't feel the parental pang of affection that Midas surely did. Still, for a moment the beast wondered where his own child was. Or Sohalia for that matter. "Gaucho has..." He half-mumbled under his breath, once again looking for similarities between father and daughter.

Gaucho snorted as gee-gee flapped her wings, a competitive and amused smile broadening his dark features. "And land good." He added to the end of her sentence, winking in a comically obvious manner, and spreading his own wings, although flapping them slower, as if she were much better at that, than he.

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>

She came to me. Obviously time had done its part, the daughter of love was much taller now; less like the fragile foal my mind still made her out to be. Less likely to break or fall over from the slightest breath of wind. At least… that was what Ranjiri would like me to believe. In these eyes she would always be my sweet little girl. I smiled a paternal grin as she pulled away, my muzzle followed to brush across her cheek, “Aww, you don’t have to worry about me.” If only the little lass knew just how much a parent worried. I lingered in those crimson eyes for a moment to long and saw someone else that had been a source of worry lately; Ktulu was there. My heart gave a small lurch, a soft sigh rose in the back of my throat. She looked so much like her ma.

With boundless energy my daughter pranced around on new legs, their length sprang from the ground in inches that hadn’t been there only a few short months ago. Her excitable state gave me no reason to notice anything astray on the golden cherub. Guacho started to say something, he paused in the middle as if just having changed his mind; I looked his way and opened my jaws to inquire the rest of that sentence. Ranjiri piped in before any words could escape, “Guess what, dad!” Still grinning I paused to glance at her, one brow rising in quiet amusement, “I can fly now!” For a moment it was all that could be done to not stare like a complete idiot in shock, I had to double check to make sure my mouth hadn’t slipped apart and was just dangling from my face.

Slipping into a composed state I tried to smile wider, “T-That’s wonderful news!” The main concern to flying was that she would be off the ground. Soaring through the air unsupervised...possibly falling; and, I hadn’t been there when she learned. I didn’t get to see those first few attempts. “Why don’t ye show me?”

ranjiri

Dad sure didn't sound excited when I told him that I had learned how to fly and I guessed that it was because he hadn't been the one to teach me, but how could he? He was always busy and Momma didn't have wings so she couldn't teach me. And both of my brothers weren't around so I'd had to teach myself. I can't say that I had done it completely alone, though, because I did a lot of bird watching. A lot, a lot. Obviously it helped since I had learned how to fly, but the only problem, aside from the landing, was taking off. At that point I still didn't know how to fly without jumping off of something tall and flapping my wings really hard.

Gaucho snorted and I looked at the big, burly, rough stallion and grinned playfully then giggled when he complimented my landing. "Bet you've never seen anything like it!" I exclaimed as I flapped my wings again. I stopped mid flap when daddy asked me to show him how I could fly. How would he take it that I jumped off of tall things? Momma let me get bumps and bruises and cuts and scrapes, but I hadn't been around daddy enough to know how he would take to it?

I imagined he would freak out, for lack of any better words.

"Okay." I agreed before "casually" looking around to see if there was anything tall in the desert but found that there was nothing. "Why don't you go first?" I finally suggested. "And I'll meet you up there?" I figured by watching daddy I could learn a little bit more and ask Gaucho when dad was in the sky.

@[Gaucho]
@[Midas]

"."

Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

(I'll delete this - Angel why don't you go first since Gaucho is just going to stand here, until Midas takes flight :3 )

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

Disappointment would have to wait for a day when the present didn’t claw at yonder door screaming for attention. It made no sense to squander the hours away in a web of selfpity that wouldn’t and couldn’t be changed by even a heavenly host. So with a heaving sigh I released my pent up concerns to the wind. Our past couldn’t be changed, nor would the hours be unwritten. A stronger smile laces across the dark recess of my face, a sign of patient willingness to participate in whatever aspect of Ranjiris young life was allowed.

“Okay,” she said after a brief pause. My brows notch up curiously when the little lass swiveled head round in search of some missing prize. A gleaming spark of excitement carried goldenrods to her quivering form with an enduring affection for the offspring of my beloved, I didn’t have to wait nor wonder for long before she ventured a question, “Why don’t you go first?”

As if on cue my ivories fell apart from flesh. Cooler air washes toward the warm fur which had been under a weighted blanket of feather. Retracing my steps in reverse I note that her crimson orbs are upon me with causal intent—though she is likely watching with an almost hungry appetite. Some lessons were best taught by those of similar traits. Ears slip ahead and my head bounces in a playful nod that sends patched strands splaying across my neck, “To the sky then.”

Graceful as a dancer I tuck and turn, heading away from them at a controllable canter. Fina opens her fiery limbs and glides ahead. Ivories splay apart, rotating toward the breeze, eager to embrace the most perfect abyss. Gold tips brush earth for only a moment, one powerful down stroke later my feet are inches from sand. Another, thrice, I’ve tucked limbs toward chest and am soaring ahead. Tail fans out from behind and the strong Southern breeze fills out my feathers.

A sharp bank and my direction is toward them. There are other (creative) ways I could be of service to the gilded babe. Sand pools up from below, directly ahead. Thousands upon thousands, nay billions of granules rise up from the belly of our dragon. They stack themselves up, higher and higher they climb until a small mound that oddly takes the shape of a ramp comes to form. A temporary sheet of gold slides across, hardening the surface so that smaller feet might find steadier support. Calling from overhead I utter, “Ye might find yonder mound useful.” It was only a hunch that she might need to use it.

OOC: So sorry this took so long ;__; I've been sick, busy.