the Rift

[OPEN] whither shall I wander; Africa

Gabriel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"Afraid of decision, I buried my finer feelings in the depths of my heart and they died there."

The Arch, Alysanne had said, and so to the Arch he was headed, though he knew it was only Sasha she'd seen, and that neither of the twins stayed in one place for long.

But he hadn't seen either of them since he'd come into the aptly-named Threshold, making it some weeks now since he's slept near enough to hear Kostya's breathing, the low sounds of their murmured voices, talking in the language that only they understood. Too long, in other words; and so he searched in earnest, now.

It seemed, though, that he was searching improperly. After hours of walking, he'd emerged from the forest tangled and dirty with brambles, sweat and dank earth, and though it was deepening to evening, it was still hot and he realized he'd lost the thread of where he was going.

He needed help.

It was quiet, in the meadow, quiet enough to hear the chuckling stream not too far from him, and it was some time before he spotted another. First she was only a grey shape in the growing dimness, but as he drew nearer he saw there was something lopsided about her. It wasn't until he was close enough for speaking that he saw she was missing a wing, and the sight sent a brief shudder of sympathy through him; though he'd only known the earth, he couldn't imagine such a grounding injury when once you'd had the whole of the heavens open to you.

There was a bird above her, hovering close – Gabriel cast a cursory glance at it, then returned his gaze to the flightless mare. Could be the creature was one of the companions he'd seen before; he thought of the cheetah in the Threshold, the way it panted and waited between the stallion's legs, amber eyes blinking. Then again, there were a lot of birds above this meadow.

If it was a companion, that probably meant the mare had been here long enough know the area well. That, at least, was a stroke of good luck.

“Excuse me,” he started, the apology feeling unfamiliar. He flicked his tail, irritated at himself for needing help. Wasn't he a wanderer? Hadn't he found his way alone since he was a small red colt? “I'm looking for the Arch. Sense says it's that way,” and here he tilts his head to the north, where mountains were rising like rolling shoulders, with higher behind, “but I'm afraid sense is something I'm short on, recently.” The red stallion offered a self-deprecating half-smile and a shrug of one muscular shoulder, and glanced again skyward, where the bird seemed to be hovering nearer.

@[Africa]

gabriel

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

After a disappointingly unsuccessful trip through the Threshold, Africa began the long, arduous journey south, shouldering the burden of heavy humidity; a rich blanket of late-afternoon sunlight drawing beady, glistening sweat out across her curved back. It was not often that she admitted defeat, returning home to the lush sanctuary of her oasis home, without fresh company and as the daylight began to distort and darken into the opulent hues of sunset, she passed through the final scattering of the old shaggy redwoods that marked the forest's southern-most rim. Silas who had been travelling between the lofty branches of those trees, well above the path of his beloved, fluttered downwards to alight atop the dappled mare's withers- his most favoured position, when he felt little compelled to fly.

Quietly she peered outwards, still concealed somewhat by the rough wood growing to either side of her position, and scouted the region ahead- the vast expanse of meadowland, noting with a satisfied puff that the few horses who grazed through the long, sun-dried grasses were apparently inert. Oftentimes, as she crossed this area nowadays quite unable to fly, she found the locals to be temperamental, needy or sick; and while her heart remained open, and her empathy strong, on this occasion she didn't feel so much like pandering to the ego of another grim soul who could not help themself.

Initially her steps were tentative as she emerged into the open space, but as she walked with a reserved hunch to her posture, her mood and manner began to lighten. All around Silas and herself, the dim cloak of evening began to wash away the vibrant, final light and without the sun's face smiling down upon them, her body temperature began to lower gradually. The day had been typically long and hot- true to the season, and the respite was a welcomed treat to the hot and bothered mare.
Loosely her path continued on southward, though she was inclined to visit the creek to freshen herself for the vexing section which slithered close by the blazing heart of the country- and so detoured, arriving well into the evening. In silence she dipped her dark, grey lips to taste to cool, sweet water. Eagerly, Silas swept from his mount and comfortably beside the mare's lowered face, fluttered in- deep enough only to saturate the fluffy black bloomers about his scaly black thighs. He did not bathe for long, shaking the water from his raven feathers in a light spray, before lifting into the air to hover by her- a guardian.

"Excuse me…"

The suddenness of the voice caused Africa to leap away from the water's shimmering edge. So engrossed had she been in savouring the loveliness of her drink, that she had not heeded the gentle stirring of her Zephyr friend's voice- calling to her softly through the darkening, warm air. Swiftly she turned to face the stallion, though it was a smile which greeted him- pleasant and hospitable. He continued then, asking about an arch, to which her face tilted thoughtfully. Her eyes were readily guided by his gesturing north, though even while she paused to consider her travels and all that she had seen, nothing remotely similar to an arch came to mind. Silas dipped lower off to one side of them- still above their heads, neutral to the presence of the stranger because his beloved was not worried.

"An arch you say…?" She repeated, smiling apologetically through clenched teeth. Africa had no idea where the dim fudge coloured stallion was talking about, but she gathered from the general direction he proffered, that it was somewhere close by to the Basin- the pit where Pegasus blood stained the snow. About as north as possible "I'm afraid I have not seen such a landmark during my travels." She answered, shaking her head gently as she spoke. A misty trail of glittering, tiny stars was beginning to spill from the back of the hovering avian nearby (the mystical veil was constantly there of course, just not so visible to the naked eye while the brightness of day outshone it), and Africa glance that way as it caught her eye. "I am Africa," the young, gentle mare introduced herself warmly, "and this is Silas." Taking a moment to wipe her bristly storm-grey lips upwards along an outstretched foreleg, she took an opportunity to shuffle a little closer towards her company- respectfully so; not in an overbearing, overly confident fashion.

Image Credits

Unregistered

"Afraid of decision, I buried my finer feelings in the depths of my heart and they died there."

When she jumped he startled, too, though not in near as dramatic a fashion; he stamped a hoof, head jerking to the side, immediately feeling guilty for frightening her – guilty and a little edgy. Perhaps he'd misjudged the pastoral scene; he was weary, the day had been stifling, and as a new wildling his guard was starting to slip after being rigid for so long.

But no; she turned with a smile, and responded to his question with a polite negative, the disappointment of which he showed with nothing more than a slow outlet of breath between his teeth.

“A pleasure to meet you both,” he responded, and hoped it would be true. Sometimes it was hard to say, in the beginnings of things. But she still looked kind, even in the hazy lessening light, and she spoke kind, and he felt himself softening in her presence, red muscles relaxing under the red coat. “My name is Gabriel. And I suppose I'll continue my search come dawn – I don't much want to explore new land in the dark.”

He considered asking her where she was bedding, tonight, but she had a look that few of his companions possessed – the kind that suggested she belonged somewhere other than the loveless wilds. Because it was a grey gloaming, and because it was thickly hot, and because he was lost, there was a deep and sudden note of jealousy within him, one he brushed off almost literally with a rough shake of his head.

No one, he reminded himself, had chosen his steps but he.

“How long have you two been companions?” he asked, indicating the bird, before dipping his own muzzle to water. It tasted cool enough, light enough against the humid air that at first he didn't even drink; the touch was enough.

gabriel

Deceased
[Image: 515b833f251f3]
In the night the stormy night she'll close her eyes
In the night the stormy night away she'd fly

Dragon's Throat Oracle

As she watched him politely; her honey gaze interested but not harassingly so, no hint of disappointment flared through his demure expression and for that Africa was relieved. It was her nature to help the plight of those around her, and when she found herself unable to, she could not help but worry for them- regardless of importance, she preferred to make a positive difference.

Quickly, without missing a beat the stallion replied with his own surprisingly civil introduction and roused the smile still plastering her dark lips, to broaden. Gabriel's attitude was refreshingly free of the blunt misery that more often than not weighed conversation held between Africa and the rogues who roamed the Wilds. With an optimistic sigh she nodded along with his resolve to resume searching when the light returned- innocently enough, she did not readily realise that he planned to bed down here, in the vast meadow around them.

"We have been together since the winter." She replied to his question easily, passing an affectionate glance by the Zephyr who still fluttered apart from them. Although their bond had been secured under most unfortunate circumstances, the pair's lives had recovered significantly for the better, and together they shared a hopeful outlook. "Its funny to think I had never heard of such a bond before my time in Helovia…" She mused modestly out loud, "… and now here we are. I really couldn't imagine life without Silas." Chuckling softly she returned her reflective gaze to Gabriel and shrugged.

"Do you have time chat?" The question was a considerate gesture. Africa was all too aware that time seemed to evaporate whenever she paused to talk with anyone, and she really didn't want to hold him up if he had elsewhere to be- the dappled mare didn't mind filling the time at all. She thrived on social interaction; learning about those who lived around her.

Tagged: @[Gabriel]

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

Unregistered

Eventually he'd find the Arch, he knew – what was another day? The red stallion had spent a lifetime wandering, and another couple hours wouldn't set him back at all. It was the same self-sufficiency that kept him from being the world-weary, heart-darkened Outcast she often came across; he was new enough here to know nothing of the struggle of it, the fear that some of the loners undoubtedly felt. He had chosen this, after all –

but perhaps he didn't fully understand the consequences, here in Helovia.

In her company he relaxed, finding nothing threatening about her. Around them a breeze was lifting, easing the suffocating heat of the day, and the stream made a pleasant murmur below them, adding steady music to the cries of night-birds and insects. For really the first time since arriving here, Gabriel felt at peace.

He nodded at her reply, though winter was difficult to fathom, here in the deep of the summer, and cast a curious glance at the bird before responding.

“I'd never heard of it either, until I met a stallion and his companion in the Threshold. He had a wildcat.” Gabriel flicked an ear uneasily at the memory; however young the cheetah had been, however friendly it had looked twining between Xanthos' forelegs, there was still a deeply instinctual fear of the predator within him. It was how you survived, after all, avoiding things with canines several inches long. “I must say I like Silas better,” he added, and smiled at them both in the gloaming light.

He wondered if he'd ever have a companion, and wondered if he'd ever want one. He'd spent so much of his life alone; it would feel alien to have another beside him, regardless of species. Loneliness was a condition he'd for the most part overcome.

“I've got all the time in the world – if you have the time for me,” he said, and smiled.

@[Africa]

gabriel

Deceased

Africa was chuckling softly at the fudge stallion's smiling admission that he would prefer an avian as preference over the company of a feline. Primarily she agreed with a wholehearted, grinning nod, but over the seasons she had viewed many different companion combinations; the strangest perhaps was the shiny scaled black snake, Mara, who was always draped as decoration throughout the antler crown Gaucho at home wore. Instinct compelled her to maintain some safe distance from the hissing creature during meetings and such; stay wary and alert when the serpent was close. Although she held an immense love for the natural world, Africa was well prepared with a healthy respect for the creatures and plants that one should ordinarily avoid.

Long wavy tresses, crimson glancing through predominant oily black, flapped lazily across pointed dark-grey hocks, licking indolently around weary pasterns and cool hard hooves. The breeze was light, bringing hint of the eastern ocean- an offshore squall perhaps, and relieving the meadow of that choking humidity at least for a small time; washing the heat of the day away. Africa was grateful, and as she too relaxed in the company of Gabriel, Silas opened his fluttering wings to catch beneath them the updraft to carry him upwards and away. The Zephyr was confident, reading with raptor-eyes the body-language shared between the pair, that Africa would be quite safe while she mingled by the dribbling stream. Gracefully his star-specked body vanished through the looming darkness to find something to eat.

The well-mannered stallion answered her question with a contagious smile and right away the already cheerful expression plastered athwart her face lifted further. "Of course." Africa reassured him playfully, although she had offered him no reason to believe something finer could occupy the time that they were sharing. "Where are you from?" The one-winged started, rocking her weight left, clear of the rear hoof which tilted then comfortably. There was genuine interest slipping between her parting lips, spilling forwards with breath and words. "How did you come across Helovia?" Every character had a different story, a history to be shared and perhaps retold to the many generations born through the years which would surely follow- that was Africa's interest, bringing the past to life and honouring those whose tales were outstanding; or perhaps just able to captivate the mind of a starry-eyed child. Every imagination needed a hero.

For @[Gabriel]

Image Credits

Unregistered

It was good that Africa was a collector of stories – it is a honorable thing, a necessary thing, and not something Gabriel did. He was too often alone, or his companions close-lipped out of habit; his own history, and that of his parents, was something he strove to forget. There was too much there, buried intentionally and carefully in his head and his heart, and he did not wish to dig it up again.

He knew histories and stories built the world, but it was far better for those who knew him that he only remember the past year or so. There was no need for more.

All the same, he did not wish to avoid the question of such a friendly stranger, particularly one kind enough to keep him company through the night. Gabriel thought for a moment, subconsciously mirroring her stance, one hoof cocked, and swished his tail as he looked out at the dusk, where the stars were beginning to appear overhead.

“I'm from...oh, many places. I was born in the land between two rivers – a place called Ilius. Most recently I was in Nocturne, and from there I followed twin brothers to this place. We parted just before I crossed the Threshold,” he finished, careful to leave emotion out of it. He didn't how many worlds he'd seen the end of, how many wars. “I'm prone to wandering,” he added with a quick grin, but that wasn't the whole of it – recently, it seemed, he was prone to bad luck, too. Ilius, Chaos – half the places he'd lived had been destroyed wholly, ground to ash and dust by the gods that had ruled them. It didn't bode well for here.

But then, maybe it was hubris of the worst kind, to think yourself in any way related to a god's decision.

“What of you?” he asked. He thought again of her missing wing, but didn't let his gaze stray to it. He wasn't the only one to see war, witness pain, leave behind destruction – and that was something worth remembering.

@[Africa]

gabriel

Deceased

She was sensitive normally, and respected any wish for privacy that any sharing company with her might prefer- Gabriel was quite forthcoming though, surprisingly so, and while did not appear to delve down into the deepest corners of his history, Africa was more than pleased to benefit from the tale he told. She had a bright, reactive imagination that was not easy to quell. As his voice stoked her listening ears, a picture began to form before her eyes of a vast rich pasture, littered mostly with old gnarled elm trees and dancing white and yellow daisies- similar perhaps to the meadow upon whose grounds they were relaxing, but far lovelier. She pictured the fudge foal lying beneath his mother's touching nose and smiled coolly to herself. The scene began to shift like the twirling colours of a kaleidoscope and an older colt of the same appearance, already brave and gallant, was striding between the melding landscapes in her mind, trailing the brothers which had been noted. Then the great redwood forest of Helovia materialised and Africa recognised it immediately. The colt had been able to track his companions; had become lost.

The young dreamy mare's vision cleared suddenly and Gabriel was standing before once more, though his words had faded and his cordial expression seemed to switch between thoughts- he began again to speak to her, and Africa nodded silently. She understood easily about restless legs and drifting bodies, whether intentional or not. In the years past the young ambitious grey had considered herself to be somewhat of an adventurer; her peers and even her parents had thought foolish and impulsive was better fitting. Recently that had all come to a rather brutal end though, and now if she felt the need to travel there was quite a select route which she opted to walk. Africa was more than familiar with cursed luck.

"I was born across the sea..." She began, following the lead of her friend (she felt boldly that such a relationship brewed). "To a tribe of Pegasi who lived across the jagged cliffs of Nyorm." She thought fondly of her family and the way they thrived in that precariously stable, rocky environment. It had been so long since she had taken such a moment to reflect and to Africa's dismay she found the faces of those she had once loved to be blurred by the passage of time. "I roamed the land above but my father was nervous and I never went far. Last year I arrived in the Threshold and have seen much of Helovia already. More than she should have unfortunately. There is much to explore and I love to learn. I collect unusual bits too- like shells and stones, flowers and pine cones." There was little telling if Gabriel would appreciate what she told him, but she didn't really mind either way. It was simply nice passing the time with someone who felt so level headed and normal- if normal could even be defined. "Maybe one day if you are ever towards the south, stop by the desert and ask for me. I could show you my treasures." Africa never mentioned her trespass in any conversation; its secret was still a dark, formidable memory that she had locked far, far down in the depths of her core; and the world's simmering curiosity surrounding the lost appendage never once crossed her mind.

For @[Gabriel] <3

Image Credits