the Rift

[OPEN] whither shall I wander; Africa

Gabriel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"Afraid of decision, I buried my finer feelings in the depths of my heart and they died there."

When she jumped he startled, too, though not in near as dramatic a fashion; he stamped a hoof, head jerking to the side, immediately feeling guilty for frightening her – guilty and a little edgy. Perhaps he'd misjudged the pastoral scene; he was weary, the day had been stifling, and as a new wildling his guard was starting to slip after being rigid for so long.

But no; she turned with a smile, and responded to his question with a polite negative, the disappointment of which he showed with nothing more than a slow outlet of breath between his teeth.

“A pleasure to meet you both,” he responded, and hoped it would be true. Sometimes it was hard to say, in the beginnings of things. But she still looked kind, even in the hazy lessening light, and she spoke kind, and he felt himself softening in her presence, red muscles relaxing under the red coat. “My name is Gabriel. And I suppose I'll continue my search come dawn – I don't much want to explore new land in the dark.”

He considered asking her where she was bedding, tonight, but she had a look that few of his companions possessed – the kind that suggested she belonged somewhere other than the loveless wilds. Because it was a grey gloaming, and because it was thickly hot, and because he was lost, there was a deep and sudden note of jealousy within him, one he brushed off almost literally with a rough shake of his head.

No one, he reminded himself, had chosen his steps but he.

“How long have you two been companions?” he asked, indicating the bird, before dipping his own muzzle to water. It tasted cool enough, light enough against the humid air that at first he didn't even drink; the touch was enough.

gabriel

Messages In This Thread
whither shall I wander; Africa - by Gabriel - 11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Africa - 11-08-2013, 12:54 AM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Gabriel - 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Africa - 11-14-2013, 06:52 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Gabriel - 11-17-2013, 10:38 AM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Africa - 11-17-2013, 05:00 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Gabriel - 11-20-2013, 12:01 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Africa - 11-21-2013, 11:07 PM