the Rift

[OPEN] whither shall I wander; Africa

Gabriel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"Afraid of decision, I buried my finer feelings in the depths of my heart and they died there."

It was good that Africa was a collector of stories – it is a honorable thing, a necessary thing, and not something Gabriel did. He was too often alone, or his companions close-lipped out of habit; his own history, and that of his parents, was something he strove to forget. There was too much there, buried intentionally and carefully in his head and his heart, and he did not wish to dig it up again.

He knew histories and stories built the world, but it was far better for those who knew him that he only remember the past year or so. There was no need for more.

All the same, he did not wish to avoid the question of such a friendly stranger, particularly one kind enough to keep him company through the night. Gabriel thought for a moment, subconsciously mirroring her stance, one hoof cocked, and swished his tail as he looked out at the dusk, where the stars were beginning to appear overhead.

“I'm from...oh, many places. I was born in the land between two rivers – a place called Ilius. Most recently I was in Nocturne, and from there I followed twin brothers to this place. We parted just before I crossed the Threshold,” he finished, careful to leave emotion out of it. He didn't how many worlds he'd seen the end of, how many wars. “I'm prone to wandering,” he added with a quick grin, but that wasn't the whole of it – recently, it seemed, he was prone to bad luck, too. Ilius, Chaos – half the places he'd lived had been destroyed wholly, ground to ash and dust by the gods that had ruled them. It didn't bode well for here.

But then, maybe it was hubris of the worst kind, to think yourself in any way related to a god's decision.

“What of you?” he asked. He thought again of her missing wing, but didn't let his gaze stray to it. He wasn't the only one to see war, witness pain, leave behind destruction – and that was something worth remembering.

@[Africa]

gabriel

Messages In This Thread
whither shall I wander; Africa - by Gabriel - 11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Africa - 11-08-2013, 12:54 AM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Gabriel - 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Africa - 11-14-2013, 06:52 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Gabriel - 11-17-2013, 10:38 AM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Africa - 11-17-2013, 05:00 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Gabriel - 11-20-2013, 12:01 PM
RE: whither shall I wander; Africa - by Africa - 11-21-2013, 11:07 PM