the Rift

[OPEN] top of the social ladder, fell hard [Open - Africa]

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Aurelia
the sun will always show you the bright side...

"No baby, I'll never leave you..." My real mom dipped her head and nuzzled me, her offspring. Then, she was blown to tiny pieces and splattered in my face. It was the most brutal thing young eyes could see. I tried to hold back tears, so I started to grind my teeth. I would've bent down and caressed her cadaver goodbye, but she was over there, there and here. I turned and never looked back, but sadly, that was when my brutal history began, not ended.

My-dus, Dragon's Throat so-called Sultan had seemed to have prepared this speech a long time ago. His voice spoke flawlessly and his posture meant he means business. My-dus was supposedly important to the herd, and more specifically, Aurelia. Though he ignored her most the meeting, she knew he had a busy schedule and could not always worry about every little herd member. (Though he did seem bent about that paint mare.. was she his mated lover?)

The alabaster femme had lingered a few minutes after the meeting to try to talk to Africa some. Mom, Africa, Step-mom. She wanted her mom to be Africa, but it could never actually be. Africa was not her blood relative. Aurelia knew her mom was a bad mom and deserved to die in a bloody way. Her mom had her left in a cave, alone, for a whole day to go out and eat sweet grass with the herd. When she came back, Aurelia was so hungry, she nearly ate her mom.

Why are some moms good, and others bad? Why can't she have another blood-mom? Aurelia wanted to know. She had been born of demons, and would she grow to tame her beastly side, or let it run on a tangent and turn her into a well-oiled killer?

So many questions. So little answers.

"blah blah blah."

ReQuay.deviantart.com | cammyandbaylee.deviantart.com @[Africa]

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

In the night the stormy night she'll close her eyes
In the night the stormy night away she'd fly

The meeting came to a close.

With the sun still pouring affluently upon her, the dapple grey Pupil was quite weary, bathed in a heavy leather of putrid, darkening sweat; her slim, rib-lined barrel heaving with the weight of growing heat-stress. The limestone waves- the canyons which Africa oftentimes called them, offered a little shade as the blazing sun began to sank into a bold sapphire sky, but there was no breeze to cool against sodden bodies; and the heat seemed to intensify as though trapped within the old, grainy red and cream barred walls surrounding. She sighed pensively, lingering a moment longer despite her woes while the crowd thinned, dispersing into the oasis mainly to return to whatever had been their business before being summoned.

A cool honey-brown eye glanced downwards to caress the pale girl who sheltered below her still outstretched wing. The warmth spread quickly between their pair and Africa had stepped subtly away, lifting her wing much higher to simply shade Aurelia while the sun was high- although her theory was to allow the flow and circulation of air, little of that had become available what was not cursed by Tallsun. Now she craved the respite of the ocean, churning and frothing with white salty foam; to cleanse her coat and lounge in the cool opulence, which lay just by their doorstep. The one-winged mare smiled and beckoned Aurelia before the younger began to speak, with a modest flick of her pale, clam face.

"Come Aurelia, I have a surprise for you."

Africa nodded tenderly to those who remained in crowd, few they were now, and turned easily across tightly clenched hindquarters. Retracting the long breadth of grey, white and black feathers- her wing, she started off in a south easterly directing; skimming the periphery of the oasis’s lush green foliage. She led the girl at a gentle, thoughtful pace, slipping and sliding often through the loose waves of burning red desert sand while she was so tired.
Much information had been offered through the meeting, but perhaps the most important to flood Africa’s conscience was that about the north- a stark warning that once she had been fool not to heed herself. It was this that she wanted to repeat to Aurelia; to make absolute certain that her sweet young friend (little-sister she often mused when she and Silas were alone together), would never suffer the same traumas that had been suffered by herself.

A bitter shudder crept up the grey’s spine, but experience gave her the decisiveness to quash that apprehension and stir of heart-wrenching memories; and so nobody besides herself and the midnight-hued Zephyr flying high above were aware.

"Look!" Africa almost squealed with unravelling delight as the shimmering shoreline of slipped into their view. Despite the fatigue and heat which weighed so immensely across her back, the young mare burst forward through a spray of orange-red sand and cantered down the mild dune towards the ocean- she did not stop as her forelegs thrust powerfully into the surf, instead she continued brazenly, cutting through the minor waves to submerge herself almost entirely. Turning with plunging limbs, she sought Aurelia, hoping she had followed to cleanse her gold and white coat of the heat.

Tagged: @[Aurelia]

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

baylee

Aurelia

Everyone at the meeting said their goodbye's as it officially ended. As all the horses filtered out of Aurelia's site, Africa nodded them each goodbye. Her wing unraveled from the alabaster's flank as it raised a foot above her small body. It was comforting shade from the boiling sun. Aurelia felt bad, as Africa was getting all the sun's heat, instead of Aurelia. The young princess looked back at the mare and they made eye contact.

Almost as her own child would do in a playful manner, Aurelia unfurled snowy down wings. The large pale wings shot straight up and attempted to cover Africa's. Aurelia's wings were slightly over sized, so they were very large (considering Aurelia was nearly full-grown.) As she stretched her wings higher she shot her mom/sister/step-mom/friend an innocent smile. One only Aurelia could smile.

"Come Aurelia, I have a surprise for you." What surprise could Africa have for Aurelia? Africa had already done a lot for the young girl, what else could there even be to do? Aurelia's thoughts were cut short as Africa started off at a good pace. Where were they going? Why were they going? Aurelia knew no answers yet, but trusted Africa with much of her heart, so she followed the one-winged mare.

After a few minutes, they came across the salty air of what could only be water. Aurelia slowed down a little, and let the distance between the pair grow slightly. She felt a pit grow in the back of her stomach. Then, the shoreline came into view. The blue water crashing into white foam, spraying droplets of salted water into the air. She swallowed hard and managed a slight smile (though it seemed not so true, it was still believable), as Africa spoke. "Look!"

Look at what?" I thought. The ocean that claims so many lives in such a short second? You see, Aurelia had a fear of running water and still water. Yes, she was scared of this water.

As Africa started going into the water, Aurelia slid to a stop, leaving two lines behind her hooves where she had slid. Even the wet sand made her muscles twitch under white and gold fur. Aurelia's eyes showed fear, but it was hidden well.

Aurelia unfurled her wings and lifted them up and down as a small wave rose up the sand. She did this as if to get away from the water, but she did not become airborne. She had only managed to back away from the water as she had wanted to.

Aurelia was scared.

"blah blah blah."

Deceased
[Image: 515b833f251f3]

The water was so bitterly cold; it shocked her heat ravaged body to the core, flooding her veins with surging energy; renewing tired muscles and washing all tenderness away. The salty bath soaked through her now sleek, thinned summer coat, soothing into her desert dry skin, and ridding the murky grey dapples of the sand-dust hue which had all but stained them rusty-red. The sensation was remarkable; such a phenomenal contrast to the wrath of the desert's climate, and Africa could have stewed there for the rest of the day. The lower half of her mane floated gracefully, riding the churn of oncoming waves whenever they passed, so too did her tail glide effortlessly. To her right, the lonely wing fluttered through the water, wallowing and splashing about with avian playfulness.

With her wrinkly pinched nose turned up, and sodden whiskered lips peeled apart she, blew the dribbling water from flaring nostrils. Paddling still, where her feet could not quite find the sandy floor, Africa completed the cumbersome turn towards where she expected Aurelia to be splashing right behind, only to find the girl had slid rather hastily to a halt much further back from the breaking line of little waves. With much effort, she swam back in that direction; pausing when she was part way out to shake at length- the glittering spray of salty water spreading far from the exertion. Soggy, but satisfied Africa emerged completely from her ice-cold sanctuary, though her eyes were concerned as they traced Aurelia's hesitation- juvenile wings lifted nervously. The wall of hot air struck immediately, and the water trailing from the heavy length of her crimson and red tail evaporated frighteningly fast as she ambled through the sand towards her. A wondering smile lifted the corners of her stormy-grey mouth, still damp lips reaching to bump the small pink nose of the girl affectionately.

"Why don't you join me?" She asked quietly, her voice empathetic though unable to place reason behind such fearful reluctance. As honey eyes shifted quickly across the little figure before her, Africa was able to rapidly perceive the fear leaking through hot, open pores- an emotion that she had much experience with in the past. " Does water frighten you?" Gingerly she knelt to wipe the salt from stinging eyes against her own knobbly knee; wet white stockings already lathered with golden-red, marking the ridge of her long nose where it rubbed.

Silas who had been watching his beloved wade, swooped lower when she swept from the surf- somewhat prematurely, and trudged up the beach to the girl with pale golden dapples. He could not find in Africa's beating heart a reason to be concerned and so propped mid-air just beyond their heads, hovering in place while he waited for sign or signal from the dappled mare. The little Zephyr cared little for the scratchy residue of salt water- he much preferred the pureness which was the Throat itself, and so did not move to settle on her back.

Table Header credits go to baylee.
Pegasus icon lineart credits go to Tamme.

baylee

Aurelia

As quickly as the dove opened her wings to shy from the water, Africa was on her. It was a good thing Africa cared so much about Aurelia, as the girl liked that about her-- Africa. Africa had come out of the blue water to bump her muzzle (Aurelia willingly accepting it) against Aurelia's. This was a friendly gesture between two horses. Africa asked about why she shied from the water.

"Why don't you join me? Does water frighten you?" The alabaster and gold girl thought for a moment, an innocent sparkle now in her eyes. She had not been tainted too much yet, but in this subject, yes. "It scares me." She eyed the water wearily. Her mane knotted and wavy as sprays of water were flung at her. What was scary wasn't water, but large amounts of it were.

It was like a large monster reaching out to grab her, it was a weird feeling in the pit of her stomach. It was much like she was the sun and did not want to be put out. She had mused about that once or twice. The girl on fire... No, not literally on fire, (yet, for she wanted a lot of fire magic) but mentally.

Perhaps this was why she so willingly accepted the Dragon's Throat deserts and dunes. A desert suited her all her true needs (which included little to no water.) The only water there was the oasis, that she was curious about, but not overly so. It still frightened her, for it's calm waters had to mean something not-so-calm was lurking underneath the crystal clear surface.

"blah blah blah."

THIS SUCKED MAJOR HARDCORE. So sorry.

Deceased

Quietly In the night the stormy night she'll close her eyes

Dragon's Throat Pupil

The evening seemed to be drawing in quickly across the Dragon’s Throat, like a blanket woven with the loose threads of blue and purple twilight. Midas had chosen a later time to gather together his clan, and for that Africa was more than grateful. Although the sun had not slipped beneath the rolling, blue-black ocean to the east, it was far from the desert now; its shine less ferocious and its warmth a weakening stroke. The air held the heat though, and probably would all the way through to the new morning’s first light. It clung tightly to the one-winged Pegasus, drying the sea from her cleaned coat so that streaks of crusty salt residue severed the soft shape of her mottled-grey dapples; the bitter, brackish stench of it betraying the self-indulgent bath which had been had.

A mild wind blew suddenly along the crumbling white waves, falling across the golden shoreline in droves. It did not offer much in the way of relief though, only ruffling the damp lace-work of feathers which covered the young mare’s wing and shoulders, tousling the long, locks of mane draped all the way up her neck and dragging lazily at the mass of waterlogged tail which cascaded down across pointed hocks to spill over the moist sand beneath.

Africa drew a breath regardless, turning fluttering round nostrils into the meek draught and it swept the fringe from her large almond-shaped eyes.

The dappled horse’s sharp perception was right on cue and Aurelia divulged in short that yes; she was frightened of the ocean- water in fact, as that had been the embodiment of the question asked. The girl glanced by Africa to eyeball the frothing liquid which had provided for her some feeling alike to that of pure ecstasy. She smiled apologetically, it had not been her will to startle the child, nor escalate her fears; and rather than telling her that such a phobia was silly, she lowered her nose to brush against the gold patterned girl caringly. “Each to their own...” She breathed calmly; soothingly against the glowing warmth of her friend. “I also have fears; things that haunt my dreams and worry my heart.” Still smiling tenderly, Africa lifted her face away and peered down across the young, aspiring face before her. “Perhaps you would prefer to cruise the dunes?
Tell me so I don't make that mistake again, does anything else worry you like this?
” Considerate always to the needs of her kin, the grey led the young Pegasus away from the water’s edge, and upwards through a dune which skirted the oasis.

It was a higher ground, and she thought perhaps they could camp there for awhile and chat; watch the first of the night’s dazzling star show and share the glory of their lush sanctuary basking in the glow of the distant, unattended fire of the diviner.

Eagle by :: Jassy2012@dA

baylee
[warning :: I'm on my phone so... Wish me luck. I'm trying first person so please, excuse any really derpative mistakes.]

The unforgiving stench of sea salt on Africa's nose would have made many horses' noses wrinkle, but my nose stayed its same way. Salt did not smell horrible. It didn't taste the greatest, but that was perfectly fine. I did not often jump head-first with a gaping mouth into salt water, or any water. As I've mentioned plenty before, I do not like water.

“Each to their own... I also have fears; things that haunt my dreams and worry my heart.” I did not have nightmares about water. Maybe Africa's nightmares were truly just her experiences being replayed back to her. My nightmares were more simple. I dreamt one night that I was swimming and underneath the very spot I was swimming, and overly large sinkhole occurred and I fell into it with all the water surging towards it to fill it up. I then drowned in a very large sinkhole. That was one of the many, but not the worst.

"Do you face your fears?" I asked this question softly, as I did not want to churn hateful feelings in the mare known as mom in my mind. I did not face my fears, perhaps that is why I tried so hard to avoid water, for I do not want to face my fears. Maybe we have fears for a reason. Quite possibly, it could be our brains telling us 'That is how you are going to die! Avoid that!' Was I just running on a tangent now? Yes, because I can't face reality. Fears are things that are holding you back, not some weird explanation on how you will die.

“Perhaps you would prefer to cruise the dunes? Tell me, so I don't make that mistake again, does anything else worry you like this?” I thought for a moment. Yes, I would like to 'cruise the dunes', but I did not want to be so abrupt with my answer. "The dunes sounds like a solution to me." I gave Africa a sweet smile as I thought about an answer to the next question. There was something else, but it was hardly worth even mentioning, but I had to tell her... Right? "I'm nervous around boys." I finally said it. I told someone my second fear, though it was awfully silly.

My fear of boys was just me being nervous and butterfly-stomach-filled around them. It was just strange, because I didn't know how to talk to them, nor act around them. Maybe Africa knew a solution to my boy problems.

Deceased

Dragon's Throat Pupil

So she began to tramp through the loose, slippery sand; its warmth from the long day retained guiding the girl, should she follow, up the gently rising dune until she could move along its ridge- overlooking the lay of lush life below. As she walked, Africa slipped one long, dark ear backwards to listen as Aurelia spoke, asking simply if she faced her fears. The young grey mare's mind paused to consider the innocent question, but her legs did not, pushing onwards through the grit.

An unmitigated terror of Unicorns had been created only days after Africa had accepted Dragon's Throat as her home; two days after her arrival in the Threshold Forest. Raw and vulnerable, she had embarked on an adventure north (the first time), and in the lofty cliffs of Heavenly Fields, a horn wielding stallion had set upon her for feathers. Inexperience rendered her defenceless, and if not for the nearby meditation of Midas, she might (for all she knew) have been killed that day. The black and white warrior had swept through in a whirlwind of clinking armour and earth tremors; bringing the Gypsy-type stallion to his knees and allowing the dappled mare to flee south, to hide in the refuge of her new home. It was many months before she travelled so far into the mountains again- sealing the distrust and trepidation towards that sly, macabre northern kind.

Africa knew they were not all so terrible though, now in hindsight; some whom she had met (and been aided by) more recently, were quite honourable and grand, just as ancient lore perceived the timeless race to be. That was why she still managed to approach the horned type with dignity and respect- always offering them first the benefit of the doubt. So far that brittle trust was yet to be shattered.

In the distance, far ahead of their two moving forms, Africa could see the shimmery star spray which followed her friend always- but more obviously so, when he flew through the shroud of night-time. As the hours darkened around them, Silas was more beautiful that anything Africa had ever seen and prideful wonder glistened through her watching, entranced gaze- and she loved him so deeply that his heart began to fill with her warmth.

"I have been forced to face my fears." She said simply, half turning to address the question after much thoughtful delay. "It did me a great disservice and I would never wish such horror upon another soul. I am very sorry I brought you to the ocean just now Aurelia." A graveness that did not often anymore pinch her voice or unsettle her mind, reverberated through the softness of the mare's tone; it was as sincere as it was repentant.

Africa was drawing ever closer to the oasis by that point, and before her path slipped down through the hardy reach of the old prickled cactus clusters fenced coincidentally around its perimeter, she stopped and turned to look at Aurelia. "Boys?" She chuckled flicking her long stringy tail towards where the girl might have been pulling up alongside. Almost immediately the one-winged mare was filled with the pleasant memories of her own youth- adolescence. They were a refreshing blanket to smother the less favourable ones which had been stirred to life by the girl's most blameless query.

There were many faces that came to mind, some so far back into her past that their names were lost, but others who had been met here in Helovia; although now those feelings had been absorbed by her love, her mythical Zephyr friend. Africa had experienced the giddying sensation that perhaps Aurelia described as nervousness, roused by the presence of the opposite gender and giggled almost inappropriately then, almost certainly not like one her age might.
"Is there a particular boy who makes you feel more nervous than the rest?" She pried curiously, flopping all at once, down into the yielding mass of cosy, warm sand. Above them the first stars were beginning to flicker in the late blue sky, but Africa heeded them no attention for now. Her focus was on Aurelia.

baylee
Once I had asked my question, there was a delay. Did Africa not face her fears? I guess it was okay she had not. I still have not faced mine, and I was in no rush to do so. I did not know what was so frightening about water, but it just was. Whether water was described as a "blue paradise with waves that cool you" or "a watery death-trap laid for you, personally," only effected me slightly. I saw it one way and that way only. I did not let the way it was represented effect my view on it. I did not judge a book by it's cover. Meaning, I did not just look at a water and immediately decide it was bad. I had many bad incidents in the water, and near water. I no longer trust water's wild and wacky ways.

"I have been forced to face my fears. It did me a great disservice and I would never wish such horror upon another soul. I am very sorry I brought you to the ocean just now Aurelia." Africa spoke simply and apologetically. She was sorry for taking me here, but I was not upset being brought here. I merely did not like being in water. Looking at it was easy. I loved sand, especially running and playing on it.

"This has not been upsetting to me." My voice was steady and simple. I added no flowery words to what I spoke. Why did one even have the urge to use long words? I was straight-to-the point. I was also very honest. Some might even call me real. I was not afraid to get to the point and be honest with it. If you sing me an hour-long sob story, I will tell you what I liked, thought was okay, and things I did not like. I will tell you how the song made me feel, and if that is what you expected me to feel like. No flowery words, amigo.

"Boys? Is there a particular boy who makes you feel more nervous than the rest?" She paused between her sentences. There was one boy, but he wasn't a boy and he was older than me by a year at least. Africa might find it hilarious that I thought the newly appointed Sultan was who I thought was charming-- in a primal and feral way. Would she be weirded out that I liked such an older stallion? Would she tell the bay? Would I act weird next time I saw him? "I-I haven't met any colts," I paused and let Africa think about the words I just spoke. At this point, maybe she thought I was interested in no one. "I find our new Sultan, quite... alluring? Cute?" I could not find the correct words for this awkward situation.

Maybe because, I was awkward.

Deceased
Quietly In the night the stormy night she'll close her eyes

Dragon's Throat Oracle

The salt as it dried quickly through her murky, dappled coat formed little crusts that irritated sensitive skin beneath. The desert air, even so near to the coat, was dry and warm and sapped the moisture swiftly, leaving the surface beneath parched and itchy. Africa's hide flinched at the nuisance sensation, again and again, but she did not allow the disturbance to retract her attention from the gold dappled girl. Quiet, thoughtful eyes traced the looming figure of Aurelia as she too breached the crest of the dune, legs stilling close to where Africa now lay slumped in a puddled, grey heap. So fleeting were the snippets into the child's soul that she was not often able to read them- the little Pegasus was intelligent and she did not think that the girl held the same blissful ignorance which had been Africa's own downfall. There were notable differences she thought humbly with a gathering smile, and they became more apparent the longer time together was shared.

Although the newly appointed Oracle portrayed a rather blasé image, deflecting frequently the seriousness which flanked the world around her, troubles absolutely tarnished her heart; and the experiences which strained her soul created a level of compassion and understanding that the general population more often than not lacked- theirs was ignorance really. Africa knew well that it was the obstacles in life that crafted both attitudes and futures, and she had not allowed herself to be soured in the fashion which so many who had crossed her path, had. Free of negativity and sadness, the young one-winged mare strove always to conquer her demons.

"I-I haven't met any colts…" Aurelia replied, her voice twitching slightly as she spoke. Silently the mare waited for her much younger friend to finish, assuming of course the other wasn't fishing for Africa to fish. It was the exaggeration of the word colts which triggered her interest though, shrewdly she was able to figure the girl's crush was not of equal age. What she was not expecting was to find out the new Sultan, Gaucho, was the source of her childlike bashfulness- how ironic, she thought suddenly, that they both had shared feelings for their superiors.

Before Africa's felony, butterflies had swarmed with tickling wings in her stomach whenever Midas was near. Always she had found the black and white General (at the time) appealing- her immature heart infatuated and ridiculous. Times had changed though, and now steady respect had been set in place, both as friend and as head of their family-herd. "Oh?!" Africa gushed in mock amazement. She broadened her eyes and smiled easily at Aurelia's revelation. Personally, the dappled mare could not relate to Gaucho's allure, but appreciated her honesty and feelings. "Does he feel the same?" She asked next, continuing the conversation with a frail sort of maturity.

baylee
As I trotted up a dune, I saw Africa playing in the sand. She lay in a mound of grey and white fur. I could only see parts of her wings, as the rest of it were covered by her beautifully decorated coat. Would I be that playful as I grew into an adult? I was a filly whom had a sweet and dazzling personality, but also a very mature mind. I was ready to take on any advanced conversations, though I would not know everything the other horses in that conversation would say (as I was not a filly-genius) I would be able to reply, and attempt to keep the mature conversation going. I wondered what Africa worried about. I worried about a lot of things like water, mostly. Did she worry about her family, or sillier things like me (boys...)?

Then I thought about the particular boy I had told Africa about. My stomach had metaphorical butterflies fluttering about inside of it. I knew we would never be, and I knew I would possibly grow out of this little crush quickly, but for the time being, it was real and here to stay. I guess it had formed after I nipped at his side and tried to engage him in some play-fighting. His words had been choppy and unrefined, which was quite the contrary to my soft-spoken words. Opposites attract, there is a chance, right? I silently thought to myself.

After I had told Africa whom I felt my emotions stir for, she thought about it for only a second before answering. "Oh?!" It took a short while for her to answer me. Then, after a moment later, she began speaking again. I listened intently for some wise words of courage, but they never came. "Does he feel the same?" She asked me curiously. I could not be mad. I had walked myself into that question.

Her question puzzled me, for I did not know. Did she expect me to ask him? Was that the normal thing to do here? Why was this so confusing? "I have no reason to believe we share similar feelings, unfortunately. It's is most likely for the best this is that way, because... I do not know how I would feel in a relationship with a stallion a few years older than me." I looked at Africa's sweet orbs. Was she bored with me? Was I annoying? Sisters annoyed each other, right?

Wait, could I even call her a sister?

Deceased

Dragon's Throat Oracle

The supernatural, glistening tail of Silas materialised once again through the film of twinkling star shine; the zephyr's raven body was all but invisible before the vast backdrop of night's looming blackness, though he still some distance from where Africa was resting in the nest of warm sand. Her bright eyes reflected the aerial path of her bonded, silence engulfing the space around Aurelia and herself, as she paused patiently for the younger's reply. Peaceful pools of pale amber brown drifted downwards again to study the pretty features which offered little insight into the stew of thoughts within. The dappled mare wanted not to violate the girl's privacy; did not wish to provoke secrets from her soul that would otherwise remain untold. She knew that secrets defined a character, be they good or bad, and that even her own tangle of secrets shaped the creature she tried so hard to represent- grace and eloquence; the epitome of untarnished tranquillity…

Eventually Aurelia spoke again, and Africa's long coaly ears leaned heavily, unfit it seemed to bare their own weight; curiously she listened, absorbing readily the girl's (for her age) overly articulate verse. The young mare drew a breath without delay and said to her still standing company- "Crushes are harmless fun." Shrugging playfully, she smiled and continued "Like with everything, practice makes perfect. Should you never experience the emotion and attraction you speak of, how would you know if your soul mate was met. Would you know how to behave?" It was a rhetorical question though she could not presume that the meaning would be understood. Africa knew the girl was clever- raw with the naivety of youth as expected, but quite capable of comprehending the words presented to her.

Then the one-winged mare's cheerful expression cleared, but not gravely so. "Aurelia?" She started gently, her voice calm and soothing, though pregnant with a sternness that could not be concealed. "I need to be certain you both heard and understood the warning Midas gave to us. He said that we must avoid travel through the north; it is very important that you heed this." Africa's eyes shared the starkness which had heralded the Sultan's grim warning, they sang of unspoken involvements; understandings, that the girl would surely not fathom. "Promise me… please." Africa cared deeply for the dainty Pegasus filly, and would protect her fiercely, to the best of her not-maternal ability.

baylee
"Crushes are harmless fun. Like with everything, practice makes perfect. Should you never experience the emotion and attraction you speak of, how would you know if your soul mate was met. Would you know how to behave?" Was she telling me to go around and act as if I had a crush on them? I could not do that.

I could try to be nice, but to pretend further was unnatural and strange for me. Maybe the purity of not knowing how to behave will somehow work in my advantage. Perhaps it will start with him comforting my nervous self and turn into something else. Could that happen between me and a horse in love with sparring, fighting, and maybe even killing? I had never thought of him like that... a murderer.

Africa's expression changed to a sterner one. This was a face only a mother would give a daughter, but I considered her a sister? As I studied her expression, it became clear why she was giving it to me. "I need to be certain you both heard and understood the warning Midas gave to us. He said that we must avoid travel through the north; it is very important that you heed this." I did hear him say that, among a lot of other mumble. I nodded my dainty head in response. I did not think Africa needed any words.

Sadly, my knowing that did not last long. I saw a pleading-like facial expression start in her face and I knew I would have to answer. I parted my lips and was about to speak when Africa said one last thing. "Promise me… please." I was just going to do that, and so I did. "I promise Africa, I heard and will not venture that way. Do I have permission to go to the Threshold at least once?" I asked her curiously. I did want to help in the herd, so I could gain a higher rank.

I also wanted to save any helpless wanderers that float in here. There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to, but would I be allowed to?

{ooc: very bad, sorry.}

Deceased
They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream

Dragon's Throat Oracle

After brushing the hesitation and paranoia from her compassionate and concerned shoulders again and again, the young dappled mare could no longer ignore the feeling which began to churn in her stomach- both nauseating and undeserved. As her calmly perceptive gaze monitored the girl, Africa became increasingly aware that the young filly's expression seemed to have shed the sweet, wide-eyed innocence which for the length of their first meeting in the Threshold, the one-winged mare had truly felt she could relate to. Aurelia had been warm, forthcoming and curious; naive though motivated, and it was this glow which seemed to hang in aura about her that had felt so right.
Now though, with a slumped and confused heart, Africa could not find that bind between them, and she wondered with grave disappointment why it had been weakened- how had it soured? Could she have been so wrong to wish the girl's fate by her side? Quite literally she shook the flood of thoughts from her feminine facade and smiled, concealing easily her disharmony behind the rehearsed gesture- one she had not needed to hide behind for many months.

When Aurelia spoke, promised and concluded with a question, Africa drew a quick breath through gritted teeth and lifted her body from the warm sand with a huff. Around her the substrate cascaded as a shadowy-red waterfall.
"You do not need permission." She said softly, without wanting to appear interfering at all; almost only as the breath slipping between her lips. The grey glanced from the small Pegasus towards the flickering firelight beyond the looming darkness of the oasis. "Travel as you will, but heed the warnings which are given to you. They are for your own safety." Africa cared so deeply for Aurelia- perhaps any child whose path had lost direction and reason. It pained her deeply that someone who she had invested so deeply in could switch in attitude so quickly. She mused as heavy eyes reflected the sacred flame, whether all children were so unsteady and unpredictable. Certainly she did not see herself suiting the role of a mother.

At that point Silas fluttered down from the black heavens to alight upon the rump of his suddenly troubled beloved.

"I will let you settle in for the night." Africa cooed through the stillness and reached to brush her velvet muzzle by the filly's cheek; eyes closed. She knew that parting ways was more for her own benefit than for Aurelia's, but maintained the graceful air of tranquillity so that the other would sense nothing unusual.

It might just have been her imagination; it was so late in the day...

Ooc- wow, angsty Africa o.O