the Rift

[OPEN] What happened
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia had not made this familiar trek since she was very young. The memories came flooding back like a wave through a broken dam. All of the smells and the sensation of sand giving way beneath her hooves took her to when she spied for the Dragon's Throat, when she and her sister knew that they wanted something more. More, such an evil word. More was the source of discontent. More was the prologue to selfish choices. She could practically feel her sister walking beside her, chatting in such a calm and easy way. The expression in her crimson eyes was young as her memories spoke dialogue that had been spoken before.

The Forsaken was lost within the perfection of her own mind, trapped within a reality that had already passed and she was experiencing again. With every year that pushed forward, every day she opened her eyes and saw something new to write into her mind, she came closer and closer to losing herself. Everything in her mind seemed so real that separating the now from the then was nigh impossible, and the only anchor to this world was Tinek.

He watched her carefully, felt the way her mind ran circles around itself and gently pulled her back. "Feel the way the sun hits your back, Phi," he would call softly into her memories, causing her glazed stare to meet his own. Tinek did not exist in those memories, not that long ago, so he had power. He could pull her back, but he feared the day when he no longer could. She needed help, but what doctor would understand an ailment she was born with? The Sun God had rid her of her memories before. Maybe she needed to be wiped clean every few years? Maybe she needed to just... restart. But, then, she would not remember him, and the pain he had felt when their bond was broken and she did not recognize him was still too fresh in his mind.

Fajira had helped him understand, but that did not make the hurt go away. Ophelia needed her sister and needed more anchors, something stronger to keep her in the present, but Tinek did not know what that could possibly be. He watched her as she gracefully made her way along the same path down to the micron to the Dragon's Throat, and he could watch her remember the twins who stole her identity and when she left. Surely she would remember now? Especially with a partially constructed metal wall to obstruct her path...

Ophelia blinked out of her memories, looking up at something that was not there before. She snapped back into the present and furrowed her brows. When did they build this, and why? Confused, she peered inside, cautiously stepping close. So much change... Damage even. What happened? The white and crimson mare felt Tinek land on her back as she stared into a land that was different enough from her memories to keep her grounded. "Everything has changed, Tinek..." she murmured to him quietly.

The silver dragon nodded. "Just because you isolate yourself does not mean that everyone else will stop living..." he replied, running his talons through her long mane. As he grew, he realized just how much she was still like a child. Despite everything, she had this innocence that could not be shaken, and that made him sad. She would always get hurt.

Image by Yumpy @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!
[Image: 5253a7371d5b4]
Mother had been well.

Seeing her face had been like a breath of fresh air following the longest night of my life. With the sun back in the sky, the earth filling the world with life, the moon painting the sky with stars, and time racing forward, the world moved. Now, I am scrambling about trying to pick up the pieces of the life I had before the veil of night fell. Mother had left the Foothills; Ophelia had gone missing. There is one anchor that I expected to find exactly where I left him, though.

Midas.
The painted black and white stallion my mother loved. I had no idea that their relationship faced implosion. I had no idea anything changed. I figured that once a child was made, the link would be eternal. My father and mother were exceptions, one immortal, after all. But, what is a family worth broken into pieces?

I flew south, my wings expanding with each day. The sun glints upon my back. The air grows dry, hot. I remember very clearly the way to the Dragon's Throat, though I had not come in so long. I feel bad having left Cera and Midas here without warning. They were likely worried about me, especially since mother probably told Midas of my journey. I have no intentions other than visiting the General of the Dragon's Throat today, but I am in for a surprise.

As I begin to lower myself toward the ground as the wall comes into view, I see the glint of ivory rising from among the sands. One ear cocks back uncertainly, and I glance at my harp which sings as the wind brushes past its strings. She looks familiar, I think to myself, but I am not yet close enough to understand why.

My bronze hooves settle upon the sandy ground with a splash. The grains fly in every direction, and they dance again at the closing of my wings. I am still growing, yet I knew I would far surpass Midas. Likely, he would not even recognize me past the colors painting my figure. I smile thinking about it, beginning to trot forward. As the wall gets closer, the ivory tower in the desert takes more shape. Pristine white, clean, a long flowing tail, and then I see it. The dipped tips of crimson on the bottom, the cloven hooves. Without a second thought, I raise my voice, a booming and masculine sound.

"Ophelia!"

Excitedly, I canter toward her side, noting that I have even surpassed her height. When would my legs stop growing? When I am the size of a small mountain? "Auntie," my lips say with a smile. Bright, bi-colored eyes gleam in the summer sun. "What are you doing here?"

ooc; I hope you don't mind me jumping in~

Levi Posts: 270
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1hh :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Ava
Levi

Skies professed a radiant glow, nothing nebulous blocking the view of the stud’s vision. The sun’s rays gently caressed the grullo’s skin, giving him a comforting feel. It was the perfect patrolling day, but today Levi decided to start on the ground. He was not tired from flying, but his legs found a pinch of an urge for use. They usually went limp from hitting the soft skies because his wings would do all the work, so it was nice to have them moving.

Muscles relaxed as each stride sank in the pliable granules. His gait started as a walk, but as he began building up energy, he leapt into a slow canter. Each hoof pressed into the sand energetically as his silver irises searched for anything that could be coming into the Throat. He patrolled the border back and forth, enjoying the summer day and the vibrant sun warming him and the Throat. Now little droplets of sweat were beginning to form on his body. It was cooling him slightly, but Levi liked the fiery warmth of the sun because it was what his home felt like.

Abruptly, ears perked to unfamiliar voices and silver orbs found two figures not too far in the distance. One professed a white coat and the other with horns and a nimbus color coat. Levi wondered who the duo was and what they wanted on the Throat sands. It was his duty after all, and it was his job to find out their business here just in case they sought membership of the Throat or if they were potentially a threat.

The grullo picked up his speed, going into a gallop. Each stride he arrived closer and closer to the two. And suddenly recognition hit the stallion. It was Ophelia, the princess he had met a while back. Although it appeared nothing had changed. She still had that sour look about her, like something was bothering her. And the other seemed gleeful, joyous to see Ophelia. Levi had never seen the stallion which towered over her, but it must someone the snow princess knew.

Ophelia?” He called once he reached the two. His stride slowed to a walk and then he stopped in front of the two. “It’s great to see you!” A welcoming smile appeared on his face. Well, he was not lying. He liked meeting others and Ophelia he felt could be his friend one day. Then his attention turned to the stallion next to her, a welcoming smile still plastered on his features. “Good day sir, my name is Levi, and I'm sorry, but I don't know your name.” His tone was calm, nothing with rude intentions, just a friendly wondering. Then his orbs went back to Ophelia. “Might I ask if you two need any help?” His tone was kind as he waited for either of the duo's reply.

"Talk talk talk."

Ascended Helovian

The deep voice that called her name held the timbre and tilt of someone very familiar. She furrowed her brows and turned her gaze, watching as the angle of the sun made her squint her delicate, light eyes. Ophelia held her breath as the sand sprayed like the waves of the ocean and all directions and as his body obscured the sun, she gazed, startled when she realized who she was looking at. Her nephew had not only grow tall and muscular but his voice had deepened considerably. She hardly recognized him save for the very unique pattern of his coat (a flawless combination of the noble Earth and her sister, she thought).

Ophelia cracked a smile, firmly planted back into reality, tethered there now by the presence of sweet, shy little Hototo. As he cantered over to her, she realized just how tall he had grown. His shoulders raised well above her own, and the thickness of his figure was very handsome. She wondered if his shyness would hinder him from gracing his beautiful soul and body to some lucky filly, but Ophelia was hardly a romantic. The alabaster mare trotted over to her nephew, her cloven hooves dancing lightly in the sand. "Hototo!" she replied, gently touching his neck affectionately with her gray muzzle.

She gazed softly into his eyes that were a blend of the Earth and her sister... "You have grown so much! I am sorry that I have missed most of your life..." she murmured softly, feeling regret ache its way into her heart. How many more could she hurt with her selfishness? She truly was a wretched creature. "I am here because I am traveling and remembered this place fondly from when your mother and I lived here," she explained. "Though, I see there is a wall now and signs of... battle." He expression darkened. "Do you know if I missed a battle?"

Why would Kri be building a wall...

"What brings you here, Hototo?" she asked, though she had an idea. Midas was still in love with her sister, and Hototo would have had to have realized that at some point. Well, that was her guess anyway.

Another familiar face approached, and she smiled pleasantly. "Levi!" she exclaimed. How long had it been since she had seen the grullo warrior? Ophelia nodded in agreement. "I am pleased to see you as well. Familiar faces are such a blessing," she returned, though a blessing from whom was up for discussion. The God of the Sun seemed more intent on making her life a fiery hell. Bastard.

"Levi, this is my nephew, Hototo," she introduced, her politeness ever present. "While I cannot speak for Hototo, I believe you can help by explaining what has been going on. I have been up north for quite some time, and it appears that in my absence, I have missed... quite a bit." Ophelia nods her head toward the wall. "Have you been at war?" she asked, her expression showing concern.

Tinek grinned at Hototo and launched himself from Ophelia's back, gliding through the sky and coming to hover nearby. The silver dragon was grateful that he had showed up, but he had no way to communicate this. Instead, he exhaled a breath of cold air, trying to give the colt reprieve from the summer's sun.

Image by Yumpy @ DA

@[Levi] @[Midas] ??

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
Ophelia had always looked like a sculpture of fresh fallen snow. Her face was lithe, delicate, as was her body, but carved so masterfully. Even when I was young, I was well aware that my aunt and mother were beautiful mares. However, looking toward the two colored eyes of my kin, I begin to realize the expression I once found thoughtful looked morose, sad, lonely. Moreso than ever, Ophelia's thin figure looked weak, like thin ice over a lake. As such, I reinforce my smile, feeling my lips tug upward and my eyes twinkle.

I return the soft touch of familial love, breathing against her skin, almost expecting it to fall away from the pressure of my breath. Had I grown too large now, that I thought my aunt weak? Is she truly delicate? I wonder.

"I am the one who left the Foothills first," I say with cordial tones. "You need not apologize." Then, pausing to look at the wall as she speaks of it, I think back to my childhood here. We had not had a wall, but maybe I am desensitized to its presence, having visited the desert many times prior since its erection. Her words speaking of war make my brows furrow, though. I hoped that no war had befallen Midas and Cera's home, but much of the past few seasons I had spent travelling. What could have happened? Just about anything.

"I'm afraid I don't know," I say, a bit distant, until another question was thrown at me.

Before I could answer, though, the appearance of another rattles through with a yell of Ophelia's name. I smile politely, stepping slightly away from the pale mare to get a better view of the pegasus stallion approaching. By the burly build, I assume that this man is a soldier of some sort. My hope lifts, knowing that as a solider he would likely have some idea of where Midas would be - after all, he is a General to my knowledge at this point. I wait for the adults to finish talking. I have to admit, though, I cannot keep a straight-face as the soldier calls me sir.

I am tall and filling in my muscle more with each day, but I hardly think I am old enough to be referred to so politely by a stallion, much less one who has no idea who my parents are. I manage to keep myself from giggling, but the dance of my lips would be entertaining were they paying attention. This is my nephew Hototo. I nod at my name, as if to prove her claim. We may look very different, yet somehow, there is still a definitive similarity between our structures.

I have never been able to pin that one down.

"I am looking for Midas," I say when there is a pause in conversation. "Is he home?"
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

I hadn’t seen young Hototo in what felt like ages. Yar, I’d not seen any of Ktulu’s family since the day of my return to Helovia from that forsaken world of portal pools and altered realities. There was hope that his life had retained, that much wasn’t forsaken—the young demi was still rasping breath for sure. Why else did our world flourish with grace, glory? Had he passed on into eternal sleep I would guess that the earth as a whole would gather to mourn the loss of such a son. None such had transpired yet, though I prayed for him regardless….Ktulu, Cera, and little Jiji.

Today started like any other, I stirred from an empty bed. Groggily gazing back at the spot Cera used to inhabit during dark hours, a sad frown creased a normally relaxed expression. Fina shifted from her sleeping roost, bright aqua eyes opening to meet the darkness with a dismayed click of her beak. We would head out before the heaven turned grey blue and bled into a sunrise. Hours passed during patrol, and grew steadily hotter with each passing moment. There was no complaining despite the sweat that clung to flank and shoulder, I relished the feel of blazing sunkiss. It was still too soon to find distaste in the heat after living in a dark cloud for many a month.

Fina blazed across the sky, her beats nearly twice that of mine. She speed ahead and returned soon after to soar alongside—when I turned to glance her way there was a smile upon her face (if a bird could somehow smile) and sly chuckle sliding into my conscious mind. “What is it?” I ask quietly, not overly curious. “See,” she hisses back, nudging my wing with one of her fiery feathers.

I follow willingly, bored enough by the racing sand below to not argue or press for more information. Dark specks appeared on the horizon, three or more—it was hard to tell at this distance. Fina (who was usually the brash or unpleasant one) only smiled that rare way when I pressed a question through our connection. Patience was rewarded soon enough, recognition spurred my motion and both wings curved toward barrel. Like a rock suddenly flung into the sky my frame falls forward. Heaven pitch's awkwardly above until I was leaning toward hard ground in a heartracing skydive. A lesser flyer might have become a wet mess moments later, but this body knew its dance and skillfully those feathered appendages thrust apart when appropriately distanced and lowered me gently to earth. My mane was damp from exercise and splayed across the bowed curve of my forehead and neck. Gaze momentarily flickers to the dark soldier Levi.

Any weariness was ushered from limbs as strong vocals filled the air to greet my kin, “Welcome Ophelia, Hototo.” A smile broke past the dreary gloom that had plagued me for weeks, such an expression couldn’t easily be contained—nor should it ever. Fina alighted against my right quarter, her eyes widening at the sight of Tinek and his silvery hide. Strolling ahead with confidence and a desire for physical connection I stretched my moist muzzle outward, seeking Hototo and then Ophelia. “It brings me great gladness to know ye is well Hototo,” to both I add gently, “Ye two is welcome to stay as long as is desired.” The tender happiness showing outward is pale in comparison to the joy that is felt inward.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia watched as the two, gold and fiery creatures seemed to gracefully tumble from the sky, landing in the sand not too far from where the small trio had gathered. Midas had come to offer his hellos and Phi had to admit that she was glad to see that he was safe; she loathed to think what would have happened between him and her sister, given her sister's dalliance for the dark at of late. Or, at least that was what Ophelia had thought. She could see the tendencies for her sister to lean to Lakota, but Ktulu had also left Midas with a child. While she had no place to judge with Roskuld, Ophelia had at least not been... aware of that evening.

Though... that made it worse.

When he reached out his muzzle in greeting, Ophelia returned the gesture, smiling and touching her nose to his. She was pleased by his kind gesture to allow her to stay, and she thought that she might actually take him up on that offer. Once she returned to her normal setting, sitting sitting on her beck and looking at the strange, firebird, Ophelia took a deep breath, redirecting her question toward Midas. Maybe he would know more than Levi.

"Thank you for the kind invitation, Midas," she said quietly, the strange stallion's speech still ringing in her head. "I... was asking Levi, but I see signs of battle?" she asked. Were they truly attacked? "And you have build a wall. Why? What is going on?" she asked, her brows furrowed deeply over her eyes.

And what about Mauja?

All that's waiting is regret
Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image by Ali

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
Before my question could be answered, the sound of swirling feathers above tears my attention away from the dark, kindly face of Levi. Upward I glance toward the falling figure of black and white, a collar of silver glimmering in the sunlight. Another smile curls its way upon my lips - just the stallion I had come looking for. Midas lands upon the soft sands of the desert, waltzing his way toward my aunt, Levi, and myself, a wide grin on his own dark face.

I have not seen Midas for many months, and I am quite surprised to find that he is a good deal smaller than I remember. Like an adult returning to their childhood playground, I see everything as a minuscule version in my memory. Midas the Gallant had been large, strong, tall, but now I stalk over him like an overgrown tree painted blue and bronze. I wonder, seeing his painted coat, where Cera happens to be. I had not laid eyes on my stepbrother for such a long time, and his cheerful presence was greatly missed.

"Midas," I say warmly, embracing his touch with a returned sentiment of my own, finding his shoulder much lower than before. "How have you been? And Cera?" My eyes bright, looking around for the golden colored boy with the lively, innocent eyes.

Ophelia's mention of war only reinforced the urgency of my question. Should something have befallen Cera, I would be devastated. While I had Nuna, my beloved younger sister, Cera had been my first sibling, even if we were not related by any blood bonds. Plus, there is something unique in the bond between brothers, something that is not easily recreated between a brother and sister.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

Hototo had grown to look so much like his Da. I smiled warmly at the child that I’d seen grow from a stumbling colt, to a proud warrior. His tall frame towering toward heaven and rightly so. He mentions Cera and my heart does a little flop at the mere memory of our last reunion. The beginnings of a frown slip across my eyes, but it doesn’t yet reach my face enough to be noticed, “We’ve been well enough.” I say softly, though stiffly.

Ophelia, was concerned—and surprisingly so. I didn’t figure that she had anything left in Dragon’s Throat to care for. But despite our bonds and struggles, she was still my sister in a way—perhaps more by title then anything. I’d see her well cared for in spite of past transgressions. Though it is hard to remain soft and forgiving when she asks if battle had come to our shores, I stiffen visibly and glance her way with an unusual hardening forming behind a sheet of compassion, “Aye, we have built a wall.” Gaze slips to the unfinished towers that have yet to be erected, and the stone that hadn’t reached full height.

“Tis was one of Kri’s last requests before she vanished; to be completed as she might have wished it.” I paused for a moment then added, “To answer your question, yes, we’ve withstood an assault from Basin and Foothills while they attacked Edge.” And failed to grind either beneath heel. I watch for a change in those tri colored eyes without knowing what I searched for. Perhaps repentance or sorrow—anything that would prove that this world still bore some semblance of its previous warmth. A warmth that had just now begun to feel lost—a month’s time would see it drenched completely.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]