the Rift

[OPEN] Wayward

Desperado Posts: 30
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 10 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3 :: 5 :: Tallsun HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Foxy

Des had seen folks scramblin' to get somewhere, he just wasn't too sure where. And that boys and girls, is why he arrived late to this little shin-dig.

The Heart was unlike anything he had ever seen in his travels - and although the glittering and burning formations of rock caught his interest, he pushed forward towards the great crater in the ground, that he had seen folks comin' and goin' from. Des was a scrappy looking thing - maybe a little on the skinny side, but with plenty of muscle in his shoulders and hindquarters from his endless roaming. He didn't need to be bulky like some stallions did, to get the job done - size ain't everything, or so they say. Dust covered his black forelegs, almost appearing to meld into his coat, which was dappled with a lighter dusty-brown color.

The hair that trailed down his back twitched as a cool breeze rushed from the mouth of the cave. "Hmmph." He grunted, shifting his weight to a more comfortable stance, as he looked down into the crystalline depths. The sun was high in the sky, and there was plenty of light to see that this was no shallow hole on the ground. No-sir-ee. This was a bonafide cave. Green eyes, bright with a hidden intelligence, roamed around the circumference of the opening, until he spied a path that led down into the depths. If there was crystal down there, maybe someone needed help hauling it out. If nothing else, it would give him something to do.

As he moved forward, his left shoulder dipped down slightly in an unconscious maneuver to force his curly mane to cover the brand that still lingered on his shoulder. It had been many seasons since anyone even recognized the brand and its significance, but even so, he'd prefer to keep it under wraps.

@[Ranjiri]

Image Credits
 HP: 63
Desperado,
why don't you come to your senses,
you've been out riding fences,
for so long now.

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

I didn't fly to Helovia's Heart. No indeed not. With my luck I would probably try to land and end up skidding over the edge and take a nose dive into a sea of hot lava and melt into a puddle of black and gold goo. Okay, okay, you're right. I'd just catch on fire and be incinerated. Melting into goo just sounded a little less painful, cut me a little bit of slack. It was just another one of my little mini adventures while I Ros was away doing whatever it was she did when she was gone- probably playing some kind of mean pranks on someone. I was hoping for something worth while and was very pleased when I found the opening in the ground that was big enough for me to fit.

Someone a little wiser than me might have been scared of what might be hiding down there. Some kind of huge bear that ate horses for lunch, or a giant snake that would squeeze you until your eyes popped out of your head. Not me, though. I was curious, not scared, and my curiosity was what drove me down the hole in the ground. The ground was wet and pretty slippery, so I slid down most of the way, but when my hooves found purchase I strolled on through like I owned the place. Okay, maybe I didn't 'stroll' as much as I wandered and looked around with wide eyes.

I had never been in a cave before, so the things hanging from the ceiling and the things sticking up from the ground were really curious, but the ones on the ceiling were kinda scary. I had the very vivid mental image of one of them falling and stabbing my wing and pinning me to the ground. I'd have to chew my own wing off just to get out of there. I shuddered and pulled my wings closer as I continued to wander aimlessly through the cave system.

Somewhere in the cave I heard a grunt, which made me stop in my wandering. My ears tilted forward and my head lifted a little higher. "Hello?" My voice came out a lot smaller and weaker than I had intended it to, but then again that mental image of those rock spikes falling from the sky were really vivid. I didn't want to be too loud and disturb them. No, they needed to stay where they were.

Image Credits

aud pixel!

Foxy

Hello?

Des's dark eared perked forward, as he began to make his way down the slope into the cave. This land didn't seem claimed by anybody, but he'd be wrong before. Mayhap he was walking right into some sort of demon sacrifice, or a whorehouse, but it sure didn't look it. The way folks had seemed surprised when they saw this cave suddenly opened up, and how they'd run back and forth, implied that this was no-one's land. At least not yet. But another thing - that voice below...that girl voice - sounded too young to be staking a claim upon the caves. At least, not one that could be defended. She sounded young, not quite a mare-hood yet maybe, but closer to being a mare, than being a baby. With a sigh, wondering what he was getting himself into this time, Des descended.

His smallish hooves navigated the falling shale easily, as his gaze tried to form a rough estimate of how many had walked down this slope before. A handful? Under 10? That seemed about right - and as the crystalline walls came into view, Des noted that there had been no work done on them yet. Mayhap they don't know he thought with an amused smirk. Imagine that. Sitting on a diamond mine, and no one's the wiser.

Ahead, he saw a dim shape. The lighting from above and its reflection in the caves made identifying just what it was difficult, but he assumed that it was the girl's voice he heard earlier. Moving forward diligently, but with carefree and relaxed sort of stride, Des swung his black tail to either sides of his body, trying to rid his dappled flanks of some of the dirt and dust that had long accumulated there. As he neared Ranjiri, he slowed slightly, finally coming to an easy halt. Leaning back on his haunches in a relaxed manner, he tilted his head slightly, as he waited for his approach to be recognized. Who knows, maybe the kid did own these diamonds - or her daddy. Des was lookin' for a job, not a fight, so he played his cards close to his chest, and advanced no further.

"Ma'am" He offered, his voice sounding as dusty as his body looked - but with a certain amount of kindness as well. His tan muzzle dipped to his chest in a polite nod. As his green gaze ran over her youthful form, he mentally wiped away his calculation of how many had been down here - wings, he noted, having forgotten about that little fact. Though as he looked at her more closely, he noted that she had a horn as well - was that...usual? Where had had come from, you fit into one of three categories. Equine. Pegasus. Unicorn. There was hardly any intermingling among the species, much less any offpspring. But Des wasn't one to judge - these were new times alright, and folks had all sorts of bright and shiny ideas about what counted as right or wrong.

Image Credits
Desperado,
for so long now.

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

I listened to my voice as it echoed through the underground cave that I had found, my ears erect and my body so tense that my muscles actually started to ache. I could hear hoofsteps moving toward me and in the dim lighting I could just make out the shape of someone much bigger than I was and, of course, I wished that I had Ros here with me at that point. How was I supposed to know if whoever it was that was approaching wasn't some carnivorous underground cave horse? If I could have done so without hurting myself I would have kicked my own ass for speaking and drawing him in closer.

He stopped and I breathed out, realizing at that point that I had been holding my breath because I was scared. I could admit it. I wasn't too proud. But now I could see him and I examined his face, his mouth mainly, and didn't see any sharp fangs sticking out of it and when he spoke I didn't see any sharp teeth hiding behind those dark lips. I flicked my tail against my legs and shifted my weight so I could take a step back. I tried to be subtle about it, but I don't think that I was completely.

Oh well.

"Hello." I said again and only grew more annoyed with myself that my voice still sounded weak. I cleared my throat softly and tried again. "Hello." That was better, I didn't sound like a puny little scared filly. "I'm Ranjiri ... Who are you?" I wanted to ask if he knew what the place we were in was, but then I thought better of it. Why ask a question that would make him know that I didn't know where I was? If he had any thoughts about hurting me wasn't it better if he thought that I knew where to run and hide?

On another note, by this point I knew why Momma always looked a little tired. It was hard work being suspicious. I much rather being friends with everyone.

"."

Image Credits

@[Desperado] @[Aud]

aud pixel!

Foxy

"Ma'am" He repeated without judgement, after both of her hello's. She seemed far too skittery to call these mines her own. Most kids that he'd seen with rich parents weren't afraid to let you know anytime they could, who owned what, and where they come from. This one seemed...almost like she was explorin', but that maybe her folks didn't exactly know where she was. A crooked smile spread his tan lips as she offered her name; he reminded her of another filly that he had known a long, long time ago. A time before his shoulder was branded, and before scars marred his coat. A better time, mayhap.

"Well Ranjiri, I'm Desperado. But you can call me Des for short." His voice sounded nearly as dusty as his coat was, but it was a genuine sort of sound. His gaze swept passed her, into the darkness, before returning to her deep pupiless gaze. "You seen any monsters in there?" He asked, half jokingly. Then again, he was knew in town - it was more than likely that if this youngster grew up in Helovia, she probably knew the lay of the land much better than he did. Maybe there were monsters; wouldn't be the first time he'd run across a herd who had tamed or imprisoned some wild thing, and made it do their bidding.

Image Credits
Desperado,
for so long now.