the Rift

[OPEN] The yearn of Beauty [Any]

Cypress Posts: 72
Hidden Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 12 hands :: 10 months
Cy

I am the light, the hope, in your darkest hour.

Cypress picked her way up a winding trail that seemed never to end. Its gravel path pushing her on. The glare of the sun on her eyes, sweat trickling down the sides of her face. Her heart beat slow as the muscles pushed up out of her dark skin, as her hoof lifted and made a gap, only to fill with the next hoof to come. Cypress had been wandering for hours, and she had been feeling very tired lately.

The dark filly had not even noticed she had wondered to a new land. She had recently met a stallion the color of pure chestnut. Dark eyes. He was so simple compared to others she had met. But he was different. Cypress liked that. But in her travels she had picked up some good things to make sure of. Your surroundings, and your tiredness.
She was told tire could kill a horse, but the one of speech probably just wanted someone to scare. Like all the others.

Cypress had finally looked up from the ground, and noticed a whole new place to discover. A whole new land to explore and meet the new. Smiling at it with great joy Cypress took in the scenery. It was definitely not plain! The trees were a bright green and the shimmery stretch of land, a lake? No a pond. It seemed to echo the looks of the trees. The way they swayed back and forth in the small winds, the the horses of land could never feel. Cypress was in a clearing where she planned to stay, if she stayed here of course. She walked to the edge of the mirrored lakes and looked at her own reflection. The small thing in there wasn't what she had thought she looked like. She thought she was beautiful. But she was mistaken. Her heart felt different and sent a shiver through her body, the sound of birdsong in the trees was gone in an instant. Like they were straying away from her hideous face. For the once shimmery lake had downed her with her own reflection. For now, she yearned for beauty like all the others. The other pretty foals. The ones that had a chance at a mate and a good family.

Her eyes started filling. She couldn't hold it in anymore. It poured out onto her soft dark cheeks. Her deep forest green eyes didn't shine like they used to. They just looked duller and full of hate and sorrow.

The thoughts of the filly were worse. Her mind screaming. None have thought me beautiful. None of them. The green glow had come back to her eyes, but it wasn't the one from before, it was hazy, scary. Full of...

Hate.

"Speech"
458 Words
*C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

[Image: 15d7tjd.jpg]
Permission for magic or cruelty directed to Cypress at all times. But not death.
Pixel-Tamme

Reginald Posts: 165
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 hh :: 3 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Ka'Mate :: Harpy Eagle :: None & Ka'Ora :: Harpy Eagle :: None M.E.

Some say you're trouble, boy Just because you like to destroy All the things that bring the idiots joy Well, what's wrong with a little destruction?

The beauty of the vault is lost on the grey-eyed prince. He doesn’t see it—he doesn’t appreciate it—he doesn’t care. This place is a refuge for lovers, a hidden place where passions and intimacy may converge in secret, to baptize in the waters of mutual affection, of growing need and desire for the one who may have captured your heart. It’s a subtly that’s lost on Reginald, for he is young, and the true stirrings from within will not commence for some years yet.

He wanders regardless. He explores; he discovers. And in his discoveries he’s grown to recognize his body’s strength, for there is strength. Yes. His heart beats a trifle easier; his brain stays cool, the fever of anger rarely touching his thoughts anymore. Anger causes blindness, and now Reginald can see. He likes this; as he walks about, his eyes cast over the dewy trees and the shade of the lover’s cove, a small smile plays about his lips. He’s impressed with himself. For the first time in his rather short life, he likes himself. He is a creature to be adored, and he does adore himself, because look. Watch him walk; watch his powerful shoulders work. See how his mane grows, his tail trail behind him gracefully. Observe his gait; he is losing the gangly amble of a foal, his walk becoming sturdier, balanced. His horn is growing; it’s acquiring a sharper tip, a fiercer gleam in the light. Oh yes—he’s well pleased with himself.

As I should be, he thinks, contempt sweating from his sides as he approaches a mirror-like pool settled in the heart of the grove. As he watches the perfect surface, it breaks; his eyes travel to the source of the disturbance, and recognition follows. He has seen this filly before—this ugly filly that once intruded in his home before. Irritation flares in his breast—but it is tiny compared to the cooling waters of self-satisfaction he feels. His mood is good; he decides not to be angry with her. In fact he approaches, his steps slow and careful, his grey eyes steady and intent on their prey. He will speak with her; he will play with her some. A game of his own. “You,” is his greeting.

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

Hidden Account
Cy

The dark filly recognized her own anger as it flared up like a fire inside her. All the lies. Maybe they weren't maybe she was just having a terrible dream of which she couldn't wake up from. She wanted to now as she gazed along the mirror of beauty. It shimmered, and glistened, her ugly face shone down into it. Tears of sadness rippled the surface of the mirror. Cypress yanked her head back thinking about the others. Did they really think she was pretty? Azarel did. He had said he liked her name. Not her main, her face, or her dappled body. None. She had thought others had liked her looks. Even that mare she had met in the forest, Africa. Even though she didn't see the filly clearly, she could still see the gleam in Cypress's eyes.

Cypress had decided to stop this crying. She was making herself cry. She shouldn't be. As she met the tears she pushed them back, away from her feelings and thoughts. So they could build back up for the next time she would cry. "You" a voice passed her ears. Emerald orbs flew up to see a dappled prince. A dark blaze upon his muzzle, the stockings of black rose up his powerful legs. Eyes of grey were leaving traces of triumph behind of what he was just thinking of. Huh. Thought Cypress, I know you...

Cypress spoke words of silk, but not beauty. "H-hello, I think I know you..." the words tumbled out. She didn't know what to say. This wasn't her normal. Usually she had found the right words, and said them wisely. But this? The grey eyes torchered her with unease. The filly looked up to him with eyes of the deepest green. Her heart pounding. She could swear he could hear it in the moment of silence that had passed them.

"Speech"
313 Words
*C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

Permission for magic or cruelty directed to Cypress at all times. But not death.
Pixel-Tamme

Some say you're trouble, boy Just because you like to destroy All the things that bring the idiots joy Well, what's wrong with a little destruction?

He rarely smiles, for he rarely has reason to. Yet the princeling has never before witnessed the tears of another. Has he cried before? Surely; Reginald was a child of frustration, and the hate for his body ran thick and full as it refused to obey his commands. The sight of another’s tears is a novel experience for him; he sees the fat tears slide from her eyes, falling into the tranquil waters of the lover’s grove. A new sense emerges in his breast, an alien feeling he cannot place that rises, bubbling, in his throat, threatening to suffocate him. Reginald comes to learn giddiness.

He doesn’t not know why the sight of her tears amuses him, excites him, entertains him in this deviant manner—but it does. And with this impulse comes the inclination to lift the corner of his lip, a small smile threatening to play on his lips. An instinct insists he shouldn’t smile. To cry is to express malignant emotion, and to smile is to express gaiety; they don’t mix. His game calls for sympathy. So he shifts his face, and as he approaches Reginald possesses look of concerned interest for the emerald eyes to scrutinize. The interest is genuine, for he wonders why she cries; the concern is a fabricated attempt, and he feels he succeeds in his endeavor.

She says she knows him. Reginald suppresses the impulse to snort, for that would ruin the game—but it’s a base thing that she’s said. She does not know Reginald. No one knows him, save for Abraham—and secrets have been beginning to emerge lately. “You explored my home, once,” Reginald says to the homely and senseless filly, correcting her misconception, his voice barely more than a whisper, yet now it is a warmer tone than what he is used to, “You saw me, I remember seeing you. You and another colt. “

He pauses as his eyes seemingly wander over to the surface of the pool, where tears had fallen only moments before. The question burns within him, yet he suppresses his savage curiosity for the curtain of subtlety; his eyes slowly shift from the pond to the verdant gaze of the filly, and he looks into them for a span of moments, of heartbeats. He furrows his brow; he pretends to notice the bloodshot pupils for the first time. “Why do you cry?” he asks in his breathy voice, taking a step toward her, his eyes squinted in apparent thought, “Is it because of your reflection? Why would it make you cry?”

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

Hidden Account
Cy

That was mean!
Cypress had seen the small lift of the colt's lip, almost a smile. Had he liked seeing her cry? Some colts were rude and unpleasant to be around. But this one? He was just plain rude and unforgivable. The filly could sense it. She didn't really like being around colts. They always would annoy her in some way. This one wasn't like Aza, his voice was for scratchy and lower. Azarel's voice oh, it was beautiful.

"You explored my home once." That was a lie. That land is for all. He was wrong. Cypress wanted to yell it in his face. But she knew it wouldn't matter. But she had to say something. Eventually squeaking out the words: "Well, um.. for your information, that land was free for all." Her voice got more sturdy and clear at the end but she would have thought he didn't hear her. A different tone came from the colt this time as he spoke, Cypress couldn't pick it out. But he spoke of seeing her and Azarel.

"Why do you cry?" The question had come on with ease but Cypress knew it was just nosiness. Before she could answer he cut her off speaking again. "Is it because of your reflection? Why would it make you cry?" his voice had some concern, but not much. The squinted grey eyes flashing towards her. "Well..." she squeaked. "I am hideous..." she started taking a breath. She knew she was going to cry again. "Can't you see?" she whispered lowering her head to the ground. Letting the first shimmer tear fall, curling around already wet cheeks.

"Speech"
313 Words
*C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

Pixel-Tamme

An edge creeps into her voice—is the nameless filly angry with Reginald? Does she see his amusement? The dark prince decides not to hide it anymore; it’s a soft smirk that raises his lip, slight and cold in the twist of it, but he is well entertained by this foolish little girl and her presumptuous, confident scorn. Her words sought to chastise the grey-eyed colt, and it threatens laughter to escape from his maw—but not quite, for his laughter is reserved for other things. He lets her heated, misguided words slide, for he isn’t here to teach.

The interest remains in his iris, however, and his steely gaze continues to scrutinize her emerald eyes, the fall in the lines of her face. He hears her breaking voice—will she cry again? Eagerness lurches in his breast, and he’s suddenly excited to see her weep once more. Could he make her cry? The idea enthralls him, even as the filly calls herself ‘hideous’. “You don’t like the way you look?” he asks, and though he smiles that awful, taunting smirk of his, it’s a sincere question. He knows full well the flames of self-loathing, the crushing, bitter disappointment in possessing a body that refuses to bend to your spiritual will. In this, he understands her pain—her anger—her frustration. It is the fixation with appearance that baffles him, for it is alien to him; he has always looked amazing, even if he never felt as such. All of those in his life have been well pleased with their appearance—or rather their appearance never mattered much in the scope of utility.

“Would you be happy if you were beautiful?” Again, he takes a step toward her, unafraid in his proximity. It’s true he thinks her ugly, but he spares little towards the opinion; he sees truth, and that is all he wishes to see. What does she yearn to see? How can she see it with eyes flooded with salt and water? He wonders how strong her hope is, how brittle it might be; he wonders if it billows in her chest and lights her path with radiance that guides her steps. Would it devastate her for her hope to be crushed?

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

Hidden Account
Cy

Cypress gave her some time to think, looking down at the dirty ground. She didn't even notice the smirk that rest on the colt's face. A few moments passed and the other foal spoke. "You don't like the way you look?" Cypress nodded still not looking up at the smirk on the colt's face. Sincere runs through his eyes but he doesn't show it on the outside.

The colt seemed to be thinking right now. But Cypress didn't say anything. She wanted him to speak because her mouth was dry and her eyes stung now as a cold wind shattered her light hope. Of getting to be who she really was in this land of Helovia. Of living life to its bests, and meeting new friends along the way. This was not a friend, more like an enemy, even though he didn't look like one. He was a growing colt with eyes like silver. Handsome but he would have to do better.

"Would you be happy if you were beautiful?" The question stung the filly, zapping right on the dappled spots on her back to her delicate thin legs.
"I-" she broke off unable to speak. Her voice all used. For a matter of fact, she didn't want to speak to this colt any longer. He seemed to look at her in a way of eagerness. Like he wanted to drive her mad with sadness that she dies of not getting enough food and water. And dies. Would that happen? Would she have to put up with this idiot colt who seemed to hate her in a way she didn't understand?

"Speech"
271 Words
*C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

Pixel-Tamme

Her stammer finally coaxes the laughter from his breast, for he cannot hold it back any longer. What emerges is something soft, a tinkling, musical sort of chuckle that rocks his shoulders slightly. It is a laughter borne of the boyish charm he still possesses, the innocent wonder and gaiety he genuinely feels for the plight of the filly; his features are alight with his delight, the youthfully handsome edges softening agreeably in the dim lighting of the cove. In another context his laughter could’ve been endearing, infectious. His lewd rancor poisons the mood, for without it his countenance could be construed as a likeable companion.

The filly obviously does not find him agreeable, and it’s her disregard that amuses Reginald for whatever detestable reason that has clambered in his skull. He’s utterly fascinated by the young lady, though he does not fully understand his enchantment, for he finds her dull inside and out. “You…?” he prompts, attempting to coax her into speech once more—for he cannot destroy her if she closes herself to him. He’s not sure if he wants to see her break, if he actually wants her to crumble to dust—but watching her whimper at the fractures of her spirit are a fine spectacle for the darkling colt.

“You don’t like me,” he remarks; the prince starts to circle the filly, his steps slow and careful, his eyes boring into her, through her, examining every fault of her form, from her spindly legs, to her bushel of buckweed that passes for a mane. “You don’t even know my name and you already hate me.” His voice is a mocking admonishment, and the irony of his words cause more laughter to escape his lips. He is absolutely tickled with himself, with this little girl he torments. “How mean.”

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

Hidden Account
Cy

The horrible colt laughs. His eyes glowing with pride in himself. Foolish idiot. The thought passes through Cypress's mind. She shakes her head rapidly and smiles knowing exactly what she was going to say to this colt.

Fascination spreads through his eyes like a growing storm. Dark clouds flying over rolling green hills, covering a dark filly. Making her days dark and unwanted. Making her heart sink and die.

But that wasn't going to happen to her. No one would make this a worse day. She would stop them if they started.

The colt spoke, be she didn't hear him. Staring off into space thinking of others. Nicer. Africa, Azarel, Delinne, Circuta. They all seemed very nice and loyal to her as a friend. The hate must have been in her eyes. Running wild like fires of open space.
Because the dappled colt spoke the truth. "You don't like me." Cypress didn't reply. She didn't want to. She didn't want to look up at him and see sadness. But something inside told her that might not be what she would see. The colt started to circle her, light hoof steps in front of the other. His silence made her silent. Eyes staring into her sole. No. Through her, in a hateful disgusted way. "You don't even know my name and you already hate me" he hisses. glimmering green eyes close. Scared. Her body started to quiver. Her mind whirling with guesses of what he would say next.

Laughter bubbled up inside him it seemed. "How mean." Cypress wanted to run. Run and hide away from all this torcher. She hated this. She wanted to be back with her family again. Or with Azarel or Harmony or... wait. What was she thinking? She should just agree with their unsaid rivalry and be enemies. He seemed to pull her strength. "Well, if thats how its going to be between us, then fine. You can be mean to me for whatever it is, I won't be-" she broke of finally realizing what he had just said. How mean. The words flashed through her eyes. Her heart breaking with every thought. Every beat.

She had never been called mean. If she had, then it had been her sister. Playing around with her. But this? Not of one who truly meant it. She wanted to cry, but she guessed he would like that. A lot did. A lot liked to see others cry. To torcher them with screams of fake terror. She didn't want this to happen to her. But it already was.

"Speech"
436 Words
|Ooc so, thats how its going to be between them? Wow
*C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

@[Reginald]
Pixel-Tamme

[Sorry for the wait!]

Her futile sense of justice seems to persevere. Reginald can see the desperate pull in her face, though she does not cry. He wants her to so badly, but she doesn’t, and an inkling of anger threatens to break into his sick amusement. “There is no ‘between us’,” Reginald sneers, in response to her blubbering words, “We aren’t on the same level. I am separate from you, because I’m better.

The anger rises; the fury sneaks closer to his brain, away from the hidden churning in his breast. His good mood has started to evaporate with her valiant efforts to deny him his wish—to see her break down in the despair of a petty disappointment. He could have understood her better. The dark prince could have related to this lost little lamb, this fallen angel; they were creatures of imperfection, innocents to a cruel world. They could have been each other; she could be gazing upon him with liquid eyes of silver, and he could be standing there, his eyes puffy and red, wondering why he wasn’t blessed with beauty from birth.

The wrath of the grey-eyed colt denies this understanding from its fruition. He hates—and so he hates her, and her unwillingness to bend to his will. How dare she deny him her tears! He demands them. He wants to see her fall.

“You’ve got some dirt in your mane,” he whispers on a mocking tongue, almost crooning, continuing his slow revolution of her body. He pauses, opposite from the shore of the lover’s lake; his chest clenches, his quarters furl; the tiny beast launches himself toward her, aiming to crash into her, to throw her into the mirror-smooth waters of innocent affection. He does not posses the endurance of his brother, of his father--though power does grow within him, even in the brief bursts such as this. She will fall to him; she will bend to him, in some way, in some form. The frenzy of his anger demands it; the fever of his childish amusement begs. Fall for me.

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

Hidden Account
Cy

"There is no between us" the colt spat at her. He simed a horrible smile. "We aren't on the same level, because I'm better." those words pierced Cypress's heart. All these years, others have been saying how nice, and wonderful she was. How fair. But this could't be true. No. Not him.

"No..." she whispers in a small voice. She looked up at him. Anger, fury. Rose in his eyes like a fire. A horrible sense of dread filled the clearing by the mirrored lake. Cypress hoped he would just leave her alone to cry. But something told her he wanted to watch her sob.

She looked down at the dirt her eyes beginning to swell with watery, salty drops.

"You've got some dirt in your mane." The colt sneers at her. His muscles tense, haunch piling, breast taking in breath. That was when he jumped at her. His blazing eyes filled with shooting sparks now. Cypress was afraid. His fore hooves hit her dark pelt first. She only squeaked in answer to the pain he was giving her. If it were to come to this... would she fight back? No. She would try to stop him.

She had glazed in his eyes for a moment. Her. Not her reflection. It was her, falling to her knees, looking up into those fiery eyes in desperate hope. The moment passed and she was tumblig back, trying to push herself to her hooves quickly before he had made another blow at her.

"Hey!" she squeaked at him as she got to her hooves. Her face, a rare from upon it. Eyes narrowed in distress. Why does he hate me? her mind hissed. Emerald diamonds glared at him.

"Speech"
265 Words
*C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

Pixel-Tamme

[WOW I'm sorry it took so long for this response! This will be my last post in this thread, at any rate.]

She squeals; he watches her stumble from his blow, watches the spindly legs wobble as they strive to bring balance to the fragile body. It is an ugly snarl that sits on his face. His eyes watch her greedily, careless and vulgar in their scrutiny of her struggle. They are blocks of flint striking against the timber; they spark; they spit their flame of hatred.

It rises within like bile, and it is unbearable. It’s a torrent of acidic flame, and he feels his pulse quicken, his lungs burst with the strain of his own desire to strike into her once more, to pound her into water and dust, to mold her into the mud that her pelt resembles so closely. He doesn’t quite understand this hatred—but then he realizes the folly in the idea of it being hate. The truth presents itself to him in a glorious stroke of inspiration: it is not hate with which he desires to destroy the filly. It is a burning desire for conquest. He aches to lord over this nameless mite of dust, and what an infuriatingly feeble charge she would make! The only other available action would be to kill her, and be rid of her useless bones.

His thoughts race passed him. His desires emerge in a body that can’t contain them; he feels a pant pull at the back of his throat. He feels a wobble in the pit of his knee. The lesson of his rage plummets into place in the midst of his rising passion: it does not do well to loose himself in anger. It makes him stupid—it makes him weak. The darkling colt decides it is time for him to quite this place of secluded passions and intimacy; he has become intimate indeed with a filly he does not even know, and he is done with her now.

He leaves her, turning his back on her quivering gaze, uncaring, snorting through his nose as he masks the racing beat of his heart, the tremble in his gait. He becomes angrier with every step, but he masters it; he leaves behind his passion in the mirror-like pool, where it belongs. He is stone.

"talk talk talk"

day1953@pbase

Hidden Account
Cy

The colt hated her. She had know it when she saw all the fire that lined his soul. He was a horrible thing, not worthy of respect. He then seemed to want to hurt her more. It was different for someone to do this to her. They usually were very nice. But this, he was being unfair. So far in Helovia she had only met two colts of no mature age. Azurel was the nicest out of the two, she had known that! And Reginald, he had some sort of power, some hungry greed for pain. Pain of others. His fire was very powerful. Cypress did not like it. And she didn't want this to happen to others. She hated his words, his actions against her. They hurt. Both of them.

That was when she noticed the colt being still for a moment. Then, she catches a gleam in his eye as he turns to leave her. Just to leave her alone? She didn't like being alone although she was usually alone all the time. He was just going to leave her to cry? Oh yes, this was the hatred full piece of dirt that had pushed her down, almost into the water. The one that had spat out words to her in a very unkind way. He was the one enemy she had made in Helovia. An enemy she didn't want. She didn't want to know anyone she disliked, she wanted all of them to be her friends. But sadly that was not the case. And she didn't like it.

She now sat there in at the water's edge, her eye gleaming with soon-to-come tears. Her heart pounding faster than it ever had. The mirrored lakes still reflecting her once again saddened gaze.

"Speech"
265 Words
*C y p r e s s
T h e K i n d

Pixel-Tamme