the Rift

[OPEN] Strictly business, of course

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves

The World's Edge did its name justice. Perhaps it was more noticeable from the air, but the landmass truly looked as though it simply ended by the steep white cliffs that cut down into the frothing waves far below. The forest that grew densely on the cape only solidified the impression, made the transition from green canopy to glittering ocean all the harsher. From this altitude she saw little of the rumored mists, nor did she see any dragons flit by in the sky, but nevertheless the little shade kept her eyes out - just in case a sharp-toothed monster would spot her and misunderstand her intentions.

It was the first time she visited the allied nation. Maybe it was rude to study the defenses and fortifications of an ally so closely without attaining permission first, but Shadow wouldn't have earned her new position as Sleuth is she'd payed attention to all those little niceties. What was important was honest, solid information, and then she could be dealing with her best friend or worst enemy; when it came to work she cut no corners, offered no pardon.

Not that she had much reason to worry here. From reputation alone the Edgers were more than capable, and the sight of an unfinished wall slithering through the forest like a pale, gleaming glass worm was reassuring to say the least. There were no weaknesses to be found on such a shallow inspection (not that she had expected there to be any), all seemed calm and peaceful.

Of course she hadn't come to this far north to spy on her neighbors. There were more pressing matters at hand for the blackbird, and as she slowly made her way down towards the borders she repeated to herself what little she knew of this region. Filled with dragons. Able bodied warriors. Trusted allies. Their patron god was.. the moon, if she remembered correctly, not that it mattered much. For the life of her she couldn't remember the names of the leaders, but that would surely be remedied soon.

Noiselessly the raven touched down on the ground in a clearing just beyond the border, the silken sound of feathers on the wind the only warning eventual warriors got to her presence. Silent as a cat she began to walk closer, intent on finding a patrol before they could find her; she preferred it that way. Allowed her to set the scene for the meeting, granted the black pegasus more control over the situation. Slipping through the forest with an ease that came from a lifetime of moving through different types of terrain the shadow stopped only as a section of the wall came into view, and there she stopped to wait; surely this was a place where others passed by often, so she likely wouldn't have to wait long to be discovered.

Just the way she wanted it.

image credits
table by whit

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
K A H L U A
The heat of the afternoon poured down upon Kahlua, making everything seem languid and slow. As for herself, the girl laid in the little copse of trees she called her own and tried to sleep the afternoon away. Just off in the distance, she could hear the waves crashing against the sandy bottoms of the cliffs. Every now and then a thought of Antheia crept into her mind, a thought that the mare's body might still be laying on the base of the stony walls, but as quickly as they came Kahlua pushed them away. She did not want to be troubled by the thought of her dead friend and the needy filly that had come to find her afterwords.

Try as she might, though, there was no finding peace under the beating sun. Shifting and turning, standing and laying, nothing seemed to work for the girl. Reluctantly, she finally decided to remain standing and try somewhere else. It was unfortunate that her favorite places in the Edge were so very far apart. At first it had been easy. The cliffs had won the girl's heart almost immediately. It was not until recently, having built the wall from start to finish, that she had found another favorite place. But if the girl had a child, it was the behemoth structure that not prevented access to the Edge. At least, restricted access to land dwellers. Of course the pegasi would always have the sky.

Finally, she reached the wall. Touching her shoulder to it first, and then her neck and her head, Kahlua leaned up against the thing, careful to avoid the supports that held it in place. At the top, the spikes that had been placed every foot or so jutted out, daring anyone to try and jump over it. She nickered softly, proud of herself. Eventually, the girl decided to move on, walking down the wall. She was no patrol, certainly no warrior, but it wouldn't hurt to check the integrity of the structure. When she reached the narrow opening that led from the interior of the Edge to the outside world, though, Kahlua couldn't help but poke her head out. After all, it never hurt to see if there was anyone out there waiting or wanting to be inside. And anyways, Kahlua always liked to make a new friend.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Chan

Shadow

Just as she had hoped, it didn't take long before someone poked their nose out from the depths of the forest. The shadow slipped away from her place and donned a pleasant smile as she tripped towards the painted face, lavender eyes studying it with catlike sweetness that was as genuine as the sky was green.

"Ah, finally, just the one I was looking for" she lied effortlessly and spread a raven wing in a slightly over-dramatic, whimsical greeting. "Nice to meet you dear, I am Shadow from the Dragon's Throat. My darling sultan sent me to talk to your leaders, or if they are too busy then the head of your.. hm.. informants... Do you think you could help me?"

The blissful smile she offered would have given her toothache if she'd seen it herself, and there was little doubt that Midas would have laughed his tail off should he have come across the raven right now. It didn't matter though; this was part of the job, and a safety measure for the inky bird. She would be loath to let any but her closest family know what she really was like, so she donned a different mask for every person she met. Sooner or later they would likely clash, it was inevitable - but when that happens, no one would be able to figure out which face that had been her true one.

It didn't hurt to build a reputation of being hard to grasp, either. So the black swan kept smiling until the muscles of her cheeks hurt, knowing that despite the feeling of being fake her outward appearance seemed genuine enough; the epitome of a young, ditsy mare who didn't take her job too seriously and would rather ogle the rumps of the soldiers than think a serious thought. Shadow had met plenty of them; hopefully she would never end up actually becoming one. The thought alone made her suppress a shudder of disgust.

image credits
table by whit

Healed

K A H L U A
At first, as she looked around, she saw nothing. Just more trees, more needles, more shrubs and fallen logs. But then, like she had been one with the very shadows, a winged mare stepped forth. Kahlua startled slightly, tensing her muscles and picking up and bobbing her head a few times. If Shadow was a master actress, Kahlua was miserable at hiding her feelings. If she was scared, you certainly would know it. However, as her ears perked forward, the painted girl finally found the smile on Shadow's face. It gave her peace before she really even had time to process anything and she immediately calmed. Lowering her head back to a resting position and relaxing her body, she still nickered out softly, hoping one of the patrols nearby would hear her.

Giving herself a moment to look over the black mare, Kahlua finally decided there was nothing menacing about her. Just the one I was looking for, she said with a dramatic flourish of her wing. It was not hard to draw poor, simple Kahlua into her game. A smile finally made its way to the Glazier's mouth and she lowered her head in greeting. Shadow. Kahlua repeated the name a few times in her head as she continued to listen. Hearing that the mare was from the Dragon's Throat (for no stranger could ever come up to the borders and lie about their affiliation) only furthered Kahlua's resolve that there was nothing frightening about the winged mare.

Do you think you could help me? Kahlua furrowed her brow. Could she? She thought long and hard (perhaps an awkwardly long silence?) about who was the head of their informants. For the life of her she could not come up with a name, which was surprising considering the fact that she spent most of her free time wandering around and talking the ears off of any horse she could find. As for the leaders... She could hardly remember the last time she had seen Thor. Early summer, perhaps? And Mirage... ever since the wall was built, the Dragon lady seemed to be hiding away in the shadows. Perhaps she was regaining her strength, perhaps she was continuing on as mysteriously as she always did. Either way, Kahlua did not know her currently location.

“I don't think we have a head informant,” she said finally, clearly confused. “And I think our leaders are busy,” she added. But clearly the undertones of her voice meant I don't know where they are. The girl would have been better to hide such information, but she was Glazier for a reason. Secrecy was not her game. “I am Glazier, though. Perhaps I can help you, since you were looking for me?” She didn't know exactly what her smiling new friend wanted, and hadn't bothered to give her name since she assumed it was known already, but she was happy enough to keep on trying if she could.

Chan

Shadow

It was growing increasingly evident that she hadn't found the brightest ember on the pyre. Was it even allowed to be that gullible? The mare was of half a mind to quit the display then and there to give the painted girl a scolding on how easily she let her guard down, but something made her hold back and keep up the easy smile that sprawled on her face. There were more things she needed to find out, and she wanted to see just how much of a security risk this lady was. Already she had revealed far too much, from the alarming absence of not only one but both leaders, the lack of a head of information and her own rank in the herd. All that to a smiling stranger who just happened to show up on the doorstep. Please pardon while she banged her face against the wall.

"Oh, that's too bad" she said, meaning it of all her heart. "No matter, I'll just leave the message with you then..." As if. This was going straight to the attention of Midas, as soon as she was finished here... "Just tell your leaders when you see them that there's been a slight change in the ranks of the Throat, and that they should come by for a meeting when they have time." Appropriately vague, no words of importance to misinterpret or accidentally give away - now that was how you avoided revealing vital information. It was growing harder and harder for the pegasus to keep her smile intact, she could feel the muscles of the cheeks ache from the strain - and yet she refused to relinquish it. She had donned the mask; now she would wear it to the bitter end, no matter how hard it became (and this was hard beyond the usual reasons such as sharp minds and skeptical horses).

"Now, what I really came to do was ask for your services, master Glazier" she carried on, and peered in curiously over the shoulder of the other mare, tripping closer with the apparent intent of inviting herself in through the opening in the wall.
"I am expecting, see, and I was hoping that you might be willing to craft a little something for the foal.. as a birthing gift. Do you think it would be possible? Of course I will repay you, just name the price."

The words came with a pang of guilt that made her stomach turn. She hadn't had the slightest intention to celebrate the birth of the creature that grew in her stomach, so small yet that it was barely visible on the outside. It was simply the best excuse she could come up with on the spot - the knowledge that she was putting her work on a much higher priority than the critter that was to be given life by her left a bad taste in the mouth. Why couldn't she love it? Why did she only feel tired and reluctant when thinking of walking with a foal by her side, even when knowing that she ought to feel something more?

It was only a passing thought, but it didn't leave undetected; the smile faded for a moment, leaving the raven with a vacated look to the eyes that made her seem slightly wistful. It would have annoyed her had she been aware of it, but as it was it only lent a sheen of honesty to her words... that in all honesty hadn't been too far from the truth.

image credits
table by whit

Healed

K A H L U A
Was it even allowed to be that gullible? It seemed improbable, and yet somehow the girl had made it this far. How had she not ended up food for a hungry beast or slave to some terrible stallion? Perhaps she owed her life to a string of good luck and watchful friends. Perhaps the gods had actually offered her some sort of blessing, despite her imbecilic nature. She was amiable, and often that was enough to placate even the hardest of souls. And where a bright smile cheerful words failed, she always had her pretty face. But soon enough, beauty would fade. And where would she be left then? For now, only the stars may know.

I'll just leave the message with you then. Could the girl have felt any more self-important in that moment? She practically oozed delight, smile widening from ear to ear, that she should be chosen of all the horses in the Edge to relay a message from Throat to Mirage. Oh what a day, what an excellent chance to prove her continued worth. “Of course,” she said with a smile, “I'll tell them as soon as possible.” How soon was that, though? She didn't think about it. It couldn't possibly be that urgent, could it? The black mare did not seem concerned about the altered ranks... Regardless, she nodded again in affirmation that she would send the message along just as soon as she was able to.

And then Shadow spoke again, with a wit and some sort of innate ability to make Kahlua melt with her words. Master Glazier. If pride really could swell heads, the painted girl would have been a caricature to see. For a moment, she was distracted as the winged mare moved closer, peering over her shoulder, looking into the land. For half an instant, Kahlua's smile faded and she shifted uncomfortably. Should she let the lady in? She had been welcomed into the Throat, after all, allowed to wander upon their oasis with little more than cursory attention from Onni. Regardless, the Glazier did not mind closeness and so instead she stood her ground, her musings upon letting Shadow in or not gone with the wind as she began to ponder a gift for a child.

Her eyes fell to Shadow's side, covered by her wings such that Kahlua had not noticed any increased girth and still did not see much of a difference. Regardless, she found herself falling short of ideas for a child. A glass comb for the mane, perhaps? A necklace with a wing charm? But then, her ideas meant little if they were not what the mother wanted. “Of course its possible! What did you have in mind?” She asked, absentmindedly stepping backwards and likely giving Shadow a chance to encroach further.

“As for payment...” She faded off, mind occupied with thinking. What did she want? A picture of the oasis came to her mind and she finished her sentence. “I've been looking for something to put in the bottom of a basket I have, to prevent the glass from scraping. Perhaps a palm frond or two from your trees?” She looked expectantly to Shadow. She thought the task easy enough. Surely it couldn't be too difficult to fly to the tree top sand pull a couple of leaves out, could it? As it were, the girl would have just said the gift was on the house except that she feared being chastised by her leaders for giving things away so freely.

Chan

Shadow

Well. She might have to give the mare half a point for not just letting Shadow waltz through the gate. The peeking over a painted shoulder did nothing for her but confirm that the forest indeed continued on the other side of the wall - dark, mysterious, a hazy blur of trunks and stems that sent chills down her spine. Not a good place to get lost in, she was sure.

Rather unwilling to see how much pressure it would take for the crafter to cave in and relinquish her only piece of respect for the mare, the raven quite obediently accepted the lack of invitation and settled back down in a casual manner, the smile as sweet as ever as she thought over the question. Frankly, it gave her some trouble. What indeed did you give to a foal? She'd never had a need for anything when she was a foal, her parents love had been everything as they roamed with the wind. Even now she only held on to a few small tokens of victory, symbols of pride with some moderate uses...

"Something pretty" she mused aloud, expression vacant as she reluctantly tried to picture the critter running by her side. "Nothing too cute, since it should fit a colt as well.. Light, so it doesn't weigh them down, and adjustable so it can be worn even as it grows. Maybe.. a harness of sort? I'm sure you can come up with something nice" she finished, returning her attention to the Edger with a comforted look that suggested she would be happy with anything the mare had designed. Wasn't she the best of the best when it came to her trade? Hadn't Shadow come to her, even though the Throat had quite capable craftsmen themselves?

"As for the payment, I'd be happy to oblige. You can have as many leaves as you want, just come by anytime and I'll pick some for you."

With that the raven seemed to relax (if it was possibly to become more relaxed than she already was) and breathed out in a soft sigh, as though a load had been lifted from her ebony shoulders.

"Now that that's been taken care of... How are you? Is it nice living here? I must confess I've never come to visit you all up here before, terribly inconsiderate of me of course, but what can you do... " The expression on Skuggi's face became even more whimsical, as though she had struggled to behave appropriately, and she tripped a little on the spot.

"You don't think I could.. you know.. come in for a visit? I've heard so much about the World's Edge from the others in the herd, how you're all so strong and brave and have dragons... That's not really true though, is it.." A giggle tried to brush the question off, convinced as she was that the rumor merely was an exaggeration - and this was the honest truth, because Shadow had never seen a dragon. To her they were figments of imagination, glorified lizards or simply mare's tales to keep foals from doing stupid things... There was no way they were actually real.

[ooc: here's a Reference]

image credits
table by whit

Healed

K A H L U A
Something pretty. Well, it wasn't much of a description, but Kahlua was easy enough to please. She bobbed her head, as the mare continued on, ideas continuing to stir in her head. She would figure something out, she just needed some time. Luckily, it seemed like the mare was in no hurry. And when Shadow accepted her payment, Kahlua bobbed her head happily. To help a friend and receive something in return. It was the first time she had actually sold her work. But if Kahlua was good at her job, Shadow was better. Kahlua was as enamored with the ebony pegasus as she ever could be- especially with someone she hardly considered a friend.

How are you? Is it nice living here? The rapid fire questions came and Kahlua was ready to answer them, when Shadow dropped her bomb. Could she come in? Of course, any inhibitions Kahlua had held a few moments were totally gone. “Come on in! Of course there are dragons!” She nodded her head, understanding where the pegasus was coming from. Kahlua had hardly believed her eyes when she first saw them as well. “Let's see if we can find one!”She set off at a trot into the woods, looking back to make sure Shadow followed.

“Of course, living here is great,” she chattered on, happy to keep on talking, useless thing that she was. “I always like your desert, and the oasis is beautiful, but here just feels like home. And Mirage, she just wants peace. Its fantastic!” She dancing voice filled the air, breaking any silence that might have existed in the shadowy woods, her gait bouncy as ever as she took Shadow on around. “But how is everyone? Apodis and Onni and Midas. I miss them!” Poor, childish thing. Someday she would learn. She would just need a really patient teacher. For now, she head off towards the strange statue on the cliffs, the beautiful thing a great point of interest to the mare that she only assumed Shadow would enjoy just as well.

OOC| Feel free to continue or not, up to you :)