the Rift

[OPEN] Strictly business, of course

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Shadow
It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves

It was growing increasingly evident that she hadn't found the brightest ember on the pyre. Was it even allowed to be that gullible? The mare was of half a mind to quit the display then and there to give the painted girl a scolding on how easily she let her guard down, but something made her hold back and keep up the easy smile that sprawled on her face. There were more things she needed to find out, and she wanted to see just how much of a security risk this lady was. Already she had revealed far too much, from the alarming absence of not only one but both leaders, the lack of a head of information and her own rank in the herd. All that to a smiling stranger who just happened to show up on the doorstep. Please pardon while she banged her face against the wall.

"Oh, that's too bad" she said, meaning it of all her heart. "No matter, I'll just leave the message with you then..." As if. This was going straight to the attention of Midas, as soon as she was finished here... "Just tell your leaders when you see them that there's been a slight change in the ranks of the Throat, and that they should come by for a meeting when they have time." Appropriately vague, no words of importance to misinterpret or accidentally give away - now that was how you avoided revealing vital information. It was growing harder and harder for the pegasus to keep her smile intact, she could feel the muscles of the cheeks ache from the strain - and yet she refused to relinquish it. She had donned the mask; now she would wear it to the bitter end, no matter how hard it became (and this was hard beyond the usual reasons such as sharp minds and skeptical horses).

"Now, what I really came to do was ask for your services, master Glazier" she carried on, and peered in curiously over the shoulder of the other mare, tripping closer with the apparent intent of inviting herself in through the opening in the wall.
"I am expecting, see, and I was hoping that you might be willing to craft a little something for the foal.. as a birthing gift. Do you think it would be possible? Of course I will repay you, just name the price."

The words came with a pang of guilt that made her stomach turn. She hadn't had the slightest intention to celebrate the birth of the creature that grew in her stomach, so small yet that it was barely visible on the outside. It was simply the best excuse she could come up with on the spot - the knowledge that she was putting her work on a much higher priority than the critter that was to be given life by her left a bad taste in the mouth. Why couldn't she love it? Why did she only feel tired and reluctant when thinking of walking with a foal by her side, even when knowing that she ought to feel something more?

It was only a passing thought, but it didn't leave undetected; the smile faded for a moment, leaving the raven with a vacated look to the eyes that made her seem slightly wistful. It would have annoyed her had she been aware of it, but as it was it only lent a sheen of honesty to her words... that in all honesty hadn't been too far from the truth.

image credits
table by whit

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Messages In This Thread
Strictly business, of course - by Shadow - 11-12-2013, 10:19 AM
RE: Strictly business, of course - by Kahlua - 11-21-2013, 11:41 PM
RE: Strictly business, of course - by Shadow - 11-22-2013, 12:13 AM
RE: Strictly business, of course - by Kahlua - 11-22-2013, 11:13 PM
RE: Strictly business, of course - by Shadow - 11-25-2013, 09:50 AM
RE: Strictly business, of course - by Kahlua - 11-27-2013, 02:59 AM
RE: Strictly business, of course - by Shadow - 11-30-2013, 05:30 AM