the Rift

tips on writing on a psychopath

Tamme the Tempting Posts: 140
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 2 :: 2 HP: 9001 | Buff: Admin
Tamme
It is very important to remember that mentally handicapped does not automatically equal EVIL.

There STILL had to be trauma in the past or unresolved trauma in order to make a character uncomfortable in social situations to the point where they are called "evil".

Even then, what is that word? Look a some of these "evil" characters who are played on here well.

Ulrik. Many would call him "evil", but is he really? He is a classic example of social phobia, borderline autistic genius type. In order to feel comfortable, he has to be near his own kind. He only likes characters who are constants in his life, familiars. The others he treats with scrutiny because they might hurt him. He has a tendency to lash out because he grew up with a group of warring bachelors. He prefers work, which he knows won't disappoint him, over others. Is this evil? No. But how it manifests towards those not in his inner circle is cold because he is protecting himself.

All evil comes from somewhere and unless it has a very, very good reason, it usually comes off as cheap? Or as Neo said, un-researched and therefore rudely stereotypical.

Another example is d'Art. To me, he classifies as bipolar. I work with someone who has this disease, and they can do one of those "switch flips" from perfectly benevolent to very rude and strange in a few seconds. But, he has kids and prefers is own kind.

So, I would research, like everyone said and know their history down to a "T". This is where my reason for knowing history is really important because the disease does not make the personality. The history in the face of the disease makes the personality.

Messages In This Thread
tips on writing on a psychopath - by Helleborr - 11-13-2013, 07:05 PM
RE: tips on writing on a psychopath - by Apodis - 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM
RE: tips on writing on a psychopath - by Solace - 11-13-2013, 08:12 PM
RE: tips on writing on a psychopath - by Alina - 12-13-2013, 11:44 AM
RE: tips on writing on a psychopath - by Voodoo - 12-13-2013, 03:30 PM
RE: tips on writing on a psychopath - by Illynx - 12-13-2013, 03:41 PM
RE: tips on writing on a psychopath - by Mauja - 12-13-2013, 03:56 PM
RE: tips on writing on a psychopath - by Tamme - 12-13-2013, 04:31 PM
RE: tips on writing on a psychopath - by Illynx - 12-13-2013, 05:23 PM