the Rift

!! This isn't Control

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I was traveling again. I was trying to find that purpose. Stories had been whispered in the winds of a place to pray to the Gods, a place where they had once appeared. That purpose, though, wasn’t really what I was looking for. No. I just wished for that missing part of my soul to be healed again. I had lost a part of myself when the vibrations had torn my immortality from my limbs and severed my connection to my other half, the red-tailed hawk who had flown into the trees never to return.

It was with tears in my blind eyes that I headed up the rocky terrain that was the location whispered in the winds. And, as I felt the stones with engravings upon them I stopped and dropped my cranium to the ground, my maw brushing against it. I relished the feeling of hard rock and thought back to my memories of the flooding waters. You see, I only wanted a portion of my old life back. I wanted my hawk to bicker with me. I wanted my hawk to tell me I was stupid for leaving my family.

I wanted him to remind me so that I didn’t forget what had happened in my past, should my memories start to fail with the age that was going to start coming to me. I didn’t want to lose all these memories. I didn’t want to lose what made me who I am.

So, I prayed. I prayed for the connection with my hawk to return. I prayed for the safety of my family outside these lands. I prayed for some sign before I returned to the herd of winged horses as I stayed completely wingless.

I'm using one of my VOTG passes.
Rasta desires to quest for her companion-
:: [Companion: Red Tailed Hawk]

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

God of the Earth
Buried in Water and Earth

The rocks themselves seemed to sigh with eagerness and joy, as the God began to mold himself out of clay. First the rocks split open, but then oddly seemed to condense inwards, as the God rearranged and shifted earth and air, to occupy his mountainous form. Dark wings slowly began to root themselves upwards, as his great and broad back was thrust upwards by dark and feathered hooves. Dust and shale shook away from his form as he walked upwards, emerging from the thick crust of rock. A warm breeze stirred around the blind mare, who, through the obvious vibrations would be aware of his coming.

"You have come a long way." The God offered kindly. His bright gaze beamed down upon the equine with warmth and tenderness. Closing those eyes now, the God hummed softly, and the world around Rasta began to hum along with it. The sound grew louder, but not with intensity, with color. In her mind, the God gently seeped in the world as it blossomed around her. He mentally constructed the ruined shrines, the waves below, and even the tangled hair that sprouted from his chin. His smile radiated physically, as well as mentally, as he opened his eyes to gaze on the blind mare, who had walked so far, to simply pray at some fallen ruins.

"I see in your mind a bird...one who was with you before? Is that why you have come here, child?"

[Congratulations! As long as Rasta is in the God's presence, she can 'see' mentally.]

There was a strange feeling that caused my creme eyes to open. A heartbeat, a strong one in fact, and it came long before the earth started to shift, spread, condense, and form into the shape of a winged equine. A large bulking form radiating from the ground until it started to move forward, a warm breeze shifting around my frame as I lifted my head to glance in the direction of his movement.

A long way? Perhaps. I hadn't really noticed, I had just kept moving. I had needed to - I had always gone and walked far to clear my head in my old lands, and I supposed that now wasn't that different, except I had ended up at a shrine and actually decided to have put my faith in something I had no proof had existed. I opened my mouth after swallowing and allowed my silken chords to reach the air. "I... I suppose so. The distance didn't bother me too much, a simple way to clear my head..." I explained, still feeling the calming heartbeat radiating from his flesh. And then, I could hear him humming, a silent thrumming vibration mixing in with the heartbeats that pulsed the image of my world. But, the thrumming was doing something strange. Hues were coming into my pulsating vision. Vibrant blues, deep greens, gorgeous reds, indigo and golds. I turned my cranium left and right, my jaw falling slack in amazement. The shrines, the waves that rocked around the ground, the towering giant with the expansive wings and the colours of the earth that Taj had told me about so long ago reflected in my vision.

I peered up to the sky, blinking and taking in the blues and the brightness of the sun - the star, the one I knew Taj was, the only light in my life. Yes. If he was dead, which I hoped with all my soul that he wasn't, then he would be watching over me from that burning orb in the sky. It's warmth gave me comfort, and that along with the heartbeat vibrations from the stag before me I felt at peace for the first time since entering these lands. "H-how?" I question, unable to form a complete sentence at my shock at the ability of sight. "The heartbeats... are you... are you the soul of this land? Of this place with the ability to strip one of everything?" I inquire to stop, to drop my head in respect.

And he is speaking, baritones just as comforting as the heartbeats he created by mere presence. A bird, one from before. My hawk! My red-tailed hawk! Was that why I had come? I nodded my head instantly, turning my cranium toward my left haunch and finally catching sight of the marking that Alleo had told me about not that long ago, the one that no one had mentioned before the lands. It was now, that with the shape and design I saw that I realized perhaps the tearing of my soul had resulted in a marking in his memory. I took in a shuddering breath, squeezing my eyes shut at the tears that were welling in my eyes at the mere thought of the pain and abandonment of the broken connection. "Yes. I suppose deep down it was. He was a part of my soul, and when I crossed into here to try and escape those who desired to have me as a prisoner of war he was ripped. I lost my other half. I am alone, really..." I whispered, my eyes opening as I looked into his green eyes, finally able to lock onto a gaze instead of pretending like I was from the years past, the many, many years past. "I came in hopes I might be able to find a part of myself I lost, to not be so alone..." I finished, falling silent and allowing my heartbeat to match the simple, calming rhythm that the creature before me had created...

681 words
Eeeeeeppp. I love you. I've never gotten to play her with sight, it's so different.

Helovian Ancient
Admin

God of the Earth

The God watches with a paternal smile upon his lips, as colour and vision confound the petite mare. Perhaps it is some small amount of pride that caused him to bestow such a wonderful, if not fleeting gift - The God wasn't one to pry, and so could not identify how long the mare had been without sight. Longer than she had been in Helovia, surely, but how long had it been that she had seen the expanse of the sky? Or the warmth of another face, recognizing her own? As she spoke, the God let forth a jolly laugh, that seemed to reverberate in the very rocks upon which they stood. His wings bounced against his flanks, as his enormous frame danced with laughter. I hesitate to think what my siblings might say, were they to hear you name me such, youngling" Chuckling to himself, he sighed softly as the last of the humor of her statement drained away slowly. "I am the God of Earth and Sea - one of four. My sister governs the darkness and the wind, my brother - in which whose land you dwell - overseas light and flame, and then..." Sighing again, the God forced a smile at the thought of his other sibling. "Then there is the God of spark and time. Together we created these lands." He had to stop himself from saying the God of fucking time, as he had so often heard others refer to his shorter sibling.

Patiently the God listened, his brows knitting together as she spoke of a time lost, and a companion to whom she would have returned. No wonder the had seen the bird in her mind, as he gently opened her to the world beyond her blind gaze. It was only now that he noticed that same sort of shape, emblazoned upon her hip. As she finished, the God frowned, and for a moment, said nothing. His dark tail swayed gently behind him, as his bright gaze rose to the sun, thinking intently.

"I am afraid that it is my brother might have done you a better service, had he stepped from the timestream to answer your prayers, for this is a matter of his dimension, not mine. And yet..." Sadly, he looked down to the mare, kind eyes bearing into her own. "-yet I fear that even he cannot give you what you seek...I sense a bond, between yourself and the hawk, but it is fractured; broken. Such a thing is not even in our capacity to change, for it deals with the very soul."

[Unfortunately, there is only one way in which a previous companion can be 'brought' into Helovia. The rules state that: You can only join a character with a companion if you grab the companion slot. Every 4 months, or the start of every Birdsong and Orangemoon season, a thread titled 'companion slot' will be made and whoever replies to it first receives it. Our rules also say: It's rare that a character can get a new companion if their prior one dies. This is due to the bond that is created between character and companion that effects their souls and minds. Because her hawk is still technically alive (as per Rasta's Threshold post), the bond is technically still there. ]

I glanced around tentatively. I still couldn't believe I was really taking in all of these hues. I forced myself to store them in my memory. I needed to be able to remember this, this miracle that was occurring before me.

He was laughing, I could not only feel it, but I could actually see the way his feathers moved against his hide and the way his face crinkled with each laugh. The sound forming in my audits all too simply for such a gorgeous action, one I had never been able to truly see with all of the colours to go with it. He spoke once, before sighing and explaining exactly what he was, and who his siblings were. I nodded my head, storing the information in my skull. I supposed that made sense then, the flames and the mention of the Sun God that had been floating around the Throat during their herd meeting. "One of the souls, then. You'd have to be to create the consistent heartbeat that I've only felt present when some sort of good is happening..." I whispered, before explaining the hawk that was still stuck in my mind.

But, as I spoke of it things weren't connecting just right. In my lands, when a Daemon (companion to these) had passed, it made the soul weaker, more plausible toward death. Perhaps this was one of the reasons as to why I could feel my body aging. My eyes gazed at his, noticing his frown and the silence as I shifted uncomfortably in my spot.

And then he spoke, but the words he said were not comforting, as much as probably wished for them to be. There was a sadness in his eyes as he explained the fractured bond, and said it wasn't in their capacity to change. Once more, my eyes trailed to the marking upon my haunch. "Sir, I didn't want to believe he might be dead - I had no proof a marking of his was actually on my body..." she whispered, "But I don't believe a bond is broken - I believe something not only fractured it, but then killed him. I had heard stories of some receiving markings on their hide to match their Daemons in my old land - it was a sign they were weak, that part of their soul is gone. I didn't know, till now, that this marking was present. And when I was told... well I didn't believe that of which had told me..." Tears flooded toward my eyes as I lowered my head, unable to meet his gaze.

A soft sob escaped my lungs as I felt my heart stopping, in and out, from the anxiety of realizing I was truly alone, not just in these lands, but with my soul. No message would get back to Taj, or my child. No one would find me, nor care, as much as my hawk had done. "I suppose, if nothing can be done, that I shall at least thank you for this sight, even if it might be fleeting. I couldn't understand why everything had... stopped. But, he's dead. I know that now - I know I'll be alone-" a tiny sob broke through. "If there is nothing you can do, filling the hole or otherwise I understand, but if there is anything you can do... I will do anything... It seems no one where I live can understand the blind, wingless mare... If there is anyway to connect with something that could learn to understand me as my Hawk had... perhaps I won't feel so alone..."

I stopped and shook my head, the world hazed behind some tears as I looked up at his looming figure. "My apologies. I didn't mean to ramble with my thoughts. It's just... a shock," I finished, forcing myself to lock my tears back, sniffing it away in order to keep my outer appearance calm.

Perhaps the world would fall apart.

Perhaps the world would stitch itself back together...

684 words
And she's accepted Mr. Hawk is dead
stage of denial = completed and kinda skipped anger to bargaining |:

Helovian Ancient
Admin

God of the Earth

The God listened with the patience of a stone. His heart yearned to soothe and comfort the wounded heart and mind before him, but no matter how strong his paternal urges were, he fought them. It was the gift of the long life that he had, to know when pain was a teaching tool, and when it was merely a burden. If this creature was truly bonded to the blind mare's soul, then erasing that pain would do nothing, but stifle the memory of one loved and lost. No, the burden was Rasta's to bear, and bear it, she would.

Still, the mare had perhaps drawn him to her wisely - for he doubted if any of his kin would be so accommodating to her request. As he had said, a bond even severed was impossible to repair. But perhaps....perhaps there was a way. "If you wish to fill the hole Rasta, that can be done, but very painfully. It will be as if the memory of your former companion has literally been ripped out of your soul - and that wound, will never heal. There is another way...a harder way, but one that may prove better in the long run. Let your soul grieve until the end of Orangemoon. You will retain this temporary sight I have given you, but you will lose the ability to speak. During that time, your thoughts must rest on your hawk. Once the days grow longer and hotter, you must search out three who have either lost a companion, or have come very close to it. Even then, after knowing what could happen to your soul again, should you bond with another, return to me here, and we shall see what the state of your soul is then..."

His tail flicked gently, as he awaited her decision. Mortals were rash, and it would not surprise the God should she take him up on his first offer, which would supply immediate gratification. While he would have preferred not to even suggest such an option, he knew that it was her decision to make, regardless of what a poor choice it would be.

[The God has given Rasta two options. The first, is to 'fill' the hole in her soul. This will be permanently painful, and Rasta will be plagued with horrific visions and ghosts forever. She will in effect, have part of her soul burned up, and will forever face the consequences, but she'll get a new hawk immediately. The second option, is to keep her sight but lose the ability to speak until TallSun (she will have to make at leaset two posts during this time, contemplating her hawk). Then, she will have to find three others who have either lost a companion, or have come very close to it.)

He waited, he let me ramble, and for that I was grateful. I'm not positive how I would have responded had I been stopped and told to 'build and bridge' and 'get over it'. It was not that simple. But, I can infer that it might not have been the prettiest of scenes to lay sight upon.

Through a hazy gaze I sniffled and peered up at his leering form. The sight... it was amazing. The one thing I had never had, and now I was finally seeing the world. It was my life, and now I was getting to see it in colour instead of vague shapes of vibrations as they wave.

His voice breaks my train of thought, as he says that the hole can be filled. He speaks of ripping the memories from my soul, and I instantly cringe. No. I want to keep his memories. They are what had made me... well me. And another way, one that might be better. I nod my head, swallowing once more as I blink the tears from my eyes. Grieve until the end of Orangemoon, and retain this sight. My audits perk up only to hear that I will go mute. I bite my lip - I have gone and lived well without one sense for a long time and survived, I could manage without a voice. My thoughts must rest on my hawk - I doubted that they wouldn't, after all almost everything was a reminder of him, even the way the wind was blowing was a reminder.And then, the final part of the task, finding those who had lost or come close to losing a companion come TallSun. Once I have done that, I could return here to see where my soul was then.

I see his tail flick as I run through things in my mind. I could not live with myself - losing that portion of me. No. It would have to be the second option, for I still wanted someone who would understand me like no other - only something that was bonded to my soul could provide.

"I... Thank you, Sir. Thank you so much. I cannot imagine who I would be with those memories ripped from my soul, and it's only right that he is honoured and grieved over. I will be mute, and find those three you requested me to find if it will get me closer to finding someone who can understand me..." I pause, taking in a deep breath. "Thank you..." I whispered, peering up at him as my form seemed even smaller than before.

Perhaps the world could stitch it all back up....