the Rift

We are the wind before the thunderstorm. open.

Meraki Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
My daughter,

Everything is so quiet since you left. The wind is ever colder with the turn of seasons; every winter, I count the days until spring and wonder whether this will be the last. My daughter, my love, I have seen things you will never even imagine. I have traveled – you know me for a wanderer – and the wonders I have seen…

Oh, my daughter, my love, my darling one, I wish you had not run. I wish you understood, that you opened your eyes to the truth – but you were always a stupid little girl, a liar.

There is still time, though. Every summer and every winter I will think of you and wait your return.

For you will return, my daughter. You will. Doubt me not.

Your loving mother,
Always in wait.

The sun rose, and I hunted.

The forest broke in gold, in green and brown. In every shadow I saw hers; in every nook I saw her eyes peering back at mine; in the hollow of trees, I heard the sound of her laughter. Yet it was never she: it was the scurrying of a squirrel, the cry of a songbird or the laughter of the wind. I would look into a pool and think I saw her in the slim ripple of a fish.

I was going quite insane.

I was not entirely sure I cared.

One night I woke heart in throat and copper in mouth and she was not there.

Then the desert broke and became trees, became prairies and shorelines and seas, and the trees closed in and spanned as far as the eyes could see; the wings folded over my back, caught on bramble and leaf and twig. I saw horses from time to time, small and large and dangerous looking; I hadn’t spoken to a single soul in more than a month, perhaps even longer. I hadn’t flown in… I could not even remember the last time I took to the skies.

There was magic here, in this place, the magic I was drawn to for one reason or another. I did not know what here was – or whether it was even the right way. I went on anyway, because I had no choice.

Time tends to shift when you do not sleep, or rest, or even properly stop.

Meraki.

“I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me.”
— T. S. Eliot

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni.</style>
 the open-hearted make such a mess of themselves.</style>

The light of the Dragon's Throat traveled North on steady hooves, seeking reprieve from her home after the mess that had been the herd meeting. It had never occurred to Onni that the leadership of her mother had been glue holding everyone together with mutual respect. Now, having seen how quickly the ones she lived with jumped to conclusions about the brutish built Gaucho, the shaman had a sickening feeling about her herd mates.

What if she had been unable to communicate in this tongue? What if she had been born far away, crippled by the challenge of learning a new language? Would she too be questioned as a healer? Would it not matter, since she only serves as a needle and thread which sews them up when they get injured? Likely in her position, it mattered little if she could speak or not. All that mattered was that she was gifted with the sunlight. As long as she could pick them up when they fell, she had worth.

Suddenly, the mare shudders. Ultimately, she was in a position ready for replacement. The did not need her, but the Sun Physician. Above, soaring high in the sky, the songbird calls down reassuringly with sharp tones. You needed by me, Onni, healer or no. The shaman smiles to herself, continuing forward.

The grasslands soon become the forest the mare had traveled through to enter Helovia years ago. Then, Onni had not been a healer, quite the opposite, in fact. The tobiano had trained and succeeded as a warrior in Isilme. However, all of the soldiers in the land simply could not fight the evil which had befallen their homes. When they had been forced to retreat, the girl had started anew. The shaman had been hopelessly lost, wandering about in the new world looking for an answer, a cause. Something. When she had stumbled into the Dragon's Throat, that is when it came.

Sunfire, so warm and pure and full of life. The answer she had been looking for did not come from a mortal being, but from the deity of Light and Fire. Maybe it had come because her mind was open, searching selflessly for a cause, but one thing was certain: the life Onni lived now belonged to the God of the Sun. It is true her mother soon captured the Dragon's Throat for her family and friends, but the true loyalties of the painted mare's heart still lay with the Sun God. Maybe that is why she did not leave to search for her mother.
Maybe she should have, after that display back home.

So dreadfully focused on her thoughts, the healer does not feel as the small songbird lands upon her withers. She does not hear as another gets closer in the woods. She does not see the way the shadows dancing with the speckles of light on the ground. Until, of course, she is nearly about to walk into this stranger. Stopping abruptly, hooves sliding further into the loam, the pale-faced shaman blinks open her sky eyes, clearing the smoke from her mind.

"Hello," she says briskly, offering forth a hastily painted smile. The mare before her likely things her a spacey idiot, but the Illuminant is really sort of a spacey idiot in some regards... she just keeps it in control most days. The champagne of the opposite's coat, however, startles memories in her mind. Moth, she thinks, resulting in an inward groan from Lyhty. What had ever happened to Moth?
""

image by Neal Fowler @ flickr.com</style>
 just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>

Unregistered
“Oh, hi.”

Not exactly the most eloquent of answers, but then, it hadn’t been an eloquent greeting, either. We were both distracted, it seemed, she and I; I was lost in my hunt and she… well, everyone had their own personal dramas.

“Please – what is this place?”

Have you seen a filly, about six months old, dark where am I light, a child without wings? The question is on the tip of my tongue, but I swallow it as I’ve swallowed so many thoughts and words in the past month. There is no use in asking; I know the answer will be no, or if yes, it will be some other child, someone else’s daughter. One day I’d found one so like her, my heart skipped, I said her name –

No. There is no use.

“I’ve been on the move for so long,” I tell her, merely to fill the silence. My feet draw to a halt; I should probably stop, at least for the night. There is no point in hunting only to die at the end of the journey. “I lost track a ways back…”

(Sometimes, I wonder if there is any point in hunting at all.)

It occurs to me she might be a mirage, a dream conjured by my sleepless brain; and yet when I blink she is still there. I smile, because I have no other choice.

Meraki.

— T. S. Eliot

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni.</style>
 the open-hearted make such a mess of themselves.</style>

The response was just as noncommittal. Onni is relieved that her absentmindedness does not bother this newcomer, or the girl she assumed was a newcomer. Most who traveled within the Threshold's forests were arriving from elsewhere. The champagne color reminds the shaman of Moth, and fleetingly in her chest the mare hopes that this stranger comes from the Vale of which he spoke. If she had been, it would be an opportunity for the girl to track down an old friend, possibly.

Please - what is this place? A typical question, one that brings an easy smile to her pale features. "You are in Helovia," the painted girl says kindly. "Welcome."

The shaman was hardly an ambassador for the land of Helovia, but this mare seemed like she needed a friendly face. Lost, so very lost, from the drag of her voice to the words they spoke. It would almost be ironic, if the healer knew that the mare was looking for someone in such a state. Even if she could have known, the painted girl has nothing to relate with. Perhaps, she could sympathize with the Illuminant as a child. Onni did spend a whole year searching for the land of Isilme and her mother after the cataclysm. Now, however, the mare might give her advice to stop looking and start living.

Instead, with her lack of knowledge, the healer is left to ponder about the cause of the melancholy aura surrounding the pegasus. "It is no trouble, miss."

"If you need a place to rest, my home is south of here - the Dragon's Throat. I am Onni," chirping from her withers, the songbird demands his own introduction. "And that is Lyhty."
""

image by Neal Fowler @ flickr.com</style>
 just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>

Unregistered
“Thank you,” I smiled, and smiled, and probably it showed, how tired I was, but I could not – I could not give up, not just yet, no matter how futile this search was.

Part of me knew she’d gone, that she hated me and wished not to be found, but the other side, the purely animal side, did not want to let go. How could I? She was my daughter, the only one I was allowed to keep and to love. The one I’d given birth to on my terms. The one I’d loved on the side of a river never to be seen again…

Maybe she was there still, one with the river. Maybe she was just gone, another fever dream I would chase to the bitter end.

And maybe it was time for me to – not give up, not give in, how could I?, but maybe… maybe I could stop. If only for a breath, stop, learn, regroup – rethink.

“I am searching for my daughter,” I told her. “I have been searching for her for weeks, almost a month, I think…”

I just wanted it to end. I knew – I felt – him there, here, with me, and yet – I couldn’t without giving her up, and I could not do that, how could I? I was her mother.

“I think maybe I should stop for a spell,” I sighed. “Show me the way?”

Meraki.

— T. S. Eliot