the Rift

Flickering Shadows

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
And suddenly, there is fire.

My first response is to grab Kali, even as she screams and races towards me, quickly as her little feet will carry her. Abruptly I snatch her up, teeth clenching gently around her tiny figure as she claws at my nose, drawing blood in her desperation to escape the encroaching flames. I do not notice, though. The fire is spreading fast, turning and drawing towards us like a great demon, supernatural and malicious. It reflects in my gaze as I desperately seek a way out, ears torn back, nostrils crinkling against the stench of smoke. There is a gap in the flame as it arches, and my mind works frantically. In a matter of moments I am ready to dive for it... but it is too late. The opportunity vanishes, and is replaced by something far worse.

His words are like daggers against my sides, each one puncturing another wound of furious anger and cold hate. How dare he. How dare he speak with such contempt, treat me like a traitor simply because of my alliances? How dare he bring Kali into this? How dare he smile so viciously? Kali senses my rage and begins to flail, tearing her wings free from my grip and slapping me in the face in her attempt to reach the god. I clench my jaw more tightly, in hopes of getting her to stop her wild actions; fortunately she obeys the silent command, stilling her body but not stopping in her furious screeching at the vengeful god. But my companion's rage is not enough to save us.

He beats his wings and the flames grow brighter, the ring suddenly tightening around us. Does he truly mean to kill us? One thing is certain, we cannot stay here... I have to save Kali. With a final, hateful glance at the god of fire, I burst into motion, racing towards the flames. I have to jump. I have to be high enough to keep Kali from touching the fire, no matter how badly it hurts me. And yet I freeze as the flames approach, freeze before the leap, the moment of truth. The heat is so intense, and the fire rises so high...

We won't make it.

Despair. Doubt. Regret. I have failed her, my little Kali.

But wait... what is this?

Salvation.

Through the oppressive smoke they move, the flickers of their forms a fleeting mirage against the burning air. I would recognize them anywhere, the strong masculine forms, and yet right now I am hesitant. I am afraid, afraid to hope that they have come. But come they have, and Kali senses it too, her own joyous cries emerging a second before I sag in relief, crying out as my brothers appear. Unfortunately, the call unsettles Kali, who squirms from my grasp and scrambles over to Madyrn's vibrant legs, screeching excitedly and clawing at his hocks. I follow not close behind, swiftly closing the space between us, slamming against them and exhaling in my relief at their presence. But even as relief swells within me, a new emotion follows and inches in beside it. Fear, fear for them. Guilt. Frustration.

There is no time.

They are already wrapping around me, draping the gift from our Lady over my shoulders. I stoop to grab Kali as they move, and she releases Madyrn's leg to grasp my nose, clambering onto my head and drawing blood with every step. I barely feel the pain, though; and I do not register it at all. Safety is the only importance, getting myself and my brothers away from this deplorable god. The cool misty folds of the Goddess' cloak is a fierce relief against the agony of the approaching fire. I can feel my brothers closing in about me, their strong and solid forms carrying me forward. The smoke is murderous, and I can scarcely see. It burns.

Everything burns.

The cloak does not reach my hocks, cannot cover the frogs of my hooves, and they are the first to sear. The scent of burnt hair coils around us, and I can feel the flames licking at my dock, my knees, my belly. Our gait is awkward, our run uncomfortable and slow. The flames feel vivid and sharp, but it does not hurt, and adrenaline is rushing too fast for me to note it. What I do note, what I realize three seconds into our run, is the evaporation of the cloak upon my back, the approach of the fire. Kali. From her unsteady perch, she screams, her eyes locked on Akaith far above, desperate for salvation. I cannot let her be hurt.

It is with this thought that we emerge from the flames, my brothers and I, just as the cloak completely leaves my back. Kali tumbles from my crown, shaking and crying. Acrid smoke curls into my eyes and lungs and burns. There is nothing worse; the inability to breathe, the searing agony of torn vocals, the blindness that threatens to overpower me. As I emerge from the flames, I am broken; it is only adrenaline that keeps me moving, hooves thundering until abruptly they stop. Madyrn. Maskan. I turn to them, wincing against the agonized pain in my hocks, and scream hoarsely. There is a desperate laughter in my voice, a furious affection as I address the twins. "You fucking morons! If you hurt yourselves, I'll kill you!" Exhaustion is settling in, and I find myself suddenly shaking. My legs are burned; my stomach is burned; my tail is burned. Kali chirps in concern, pawing gently at my leg; I drop onto one knee, toppling, willing myself to remain upright. We are not safe yet.

But my brothers are here, my protectors, my twins. And Akaith flies above, a beacon of Mirage, a hopeful guide. Perhaps we will be safe. Perhaps.

Messages In This Thread
Flickering Shadows - by Rishima - 08-10-2012, 02:50 AM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by God of the Sun - 08-10-2012, 08:30 AM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by Madyrn Maskan - 08-11-2012, 12:29 AM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by Rishima - 08-17-2012, 04:04 AM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by God of the Sun - 08-23-2012, 10:46 PM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by Vikram - 08-27-2012, 01:12 AM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by Madyrn Maskan - 08-28-2012, 01:02 AM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by Rishima - 09-01-2012, 01:30 PM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by God of the Sun - 09-06-2012, 10:08 AM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by Vikram - 09-08-2012, 01:49 AM
RE: Flickering Shadows - by Madyrn Maskan - 09-10-2012, 10:14 PM