the Rift

[OPEN] sound the drums of condemnation

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Cera
I'm an angel with a shotgun, fighting till the war's won, and I don't care if heaven won't take me back

The world was still.

Oh...

so...

still.

Long legs pace the earth weakly, restlessly. Knees quake, tremble like an earthquake has seized them and dances within and upon the ligaments that keep an athletic frame standing strong. But strong it is no longer, instead drooped and dragging like a broken-winged sparrow instead of the proud golden eagle he had once been. Toe tips drag in the crimson sand, still thick with clumps of vegetation that duplicates with every tripled stride leading out of the desert he knows as home. Safety. Comfort. It is no longer any of those things. Midas had disappeared, and when Cera had returned what did he hear upon the wind? Midas, the Sultan, had returned. Something bitter and evil twisted in the youth's soul, remembering a face of black; instead of soft with love, it had been hard with anger and hatred. Golden eyes were flinty and sharp instead of viscous and wise. Better than his memory has ever served him by the Gods he remembers! He remembers the way crimson had stained the pale snow of his father-not-father's coat, how he had been the one to put it there! His own body is sore, aching, crying at him because he is a damned child. Cursed blot upon the existence of the blessed angels of the desert. Who knows his name, aside from his title as son of the revered General? His own people saw more of his father than Cera did.

The sun is just peaking, a few hours before the midway mark, and it scalds his skin though he knows he is not burning. Sandy patches have paled into near nothingness with the fervent rays of tallsun, fading him into an angelic buttermilk. As he ages and grows, his downy caramel feathers shed, and in their place luminescent silver and ivory grow in place. He is growing up. Somehow, this wasn't what he had been expecting. Upon his spine, a crimson companion peers with worried forest eyes at her brother, her son, her lover and prince. He is her all, as she is his. There is no category to define their relationship, no boundary unable to be overcome by the trust and love that solidifies their minds into a singular being. Today, she cannot peer into the depths of his mind. It is a sealed fortress, a tempest in a teapot, and she fears that when the delicate china breaks, his mind will go with it.

Dead. Midas' duplicate was no more, slain, and by whom? Why, the youth who loved and idolized that very warrior. In those last few moments, blood bubbling from the doppel's throat as he choked on his own tainted life in a world he did not belong, Cera had seen only gratitude. In those moments he had seen not the evil being that had imitated his father's soul, but the loving patron who had taken him beneath wing years ago. Fine jaw worked itself into a tighter lock, emerald eyes haunted and shadowed. Ivory wings hung low, the tips digging parallel trenches to the ones already being created by his dragging hooves.

How could the sun turn him so perfectly white, a color of purity, when his skin was burned and seared with the incriminating evidence of his evil deed? Not all belonged to the seasoned warrior who lay dead in the shadowed forest that, in a sick act of karma, had once nearly taken his own life as a child. The demonic, misplaced soul had been skilled. Had he not been sickened, Cera doubted he could have come out triumphant. Matching the scar upon his breast, he had fresh wounds upon his bodice, the most brutal being a sick gaping hole upon the arch of his neck where vengeful teeth had clamped in and come away with more than intended. A wicked scrape spiderwebbed along his right flank, and his left hind leg was drenched in his own blackening blood, freshened with new crimson with every limping step. Down the length of it, an open wound lay, but he would not allow Ilaria to utilize her godly gifts to heal him. These were only a partial punishment, and he would take their agony, because damn it he deserved it. He had murdered a sick and dying soul, no matter how tainted, and for that he deserved to burn slowly in Helovia's Heart for the rest of eternity, like some sick pyro-romanticized version of Prometheus.

The blood of another is thick, congealed and heavy upon his skin, restricting a wide range of motion as it hardens beneath the sun faster than normal. Black and crimson and blue, he is a fallen angel, and likely looks like hell itself. Would the wrong-dimension Midas be proud? Was he no longer the weak, scrawny youth that he had degraded so thoroughly upon their first meeting? He certainly felt broken enough to feel changed.

It is not far past the wall, and he can walk no longer. Cera's leg had long gone numb, but the wound upon his flank was not worked as much as a leg, and still throbbed and dribbled blood with every step. A bitter laugh escaped the young killer's lips, emeralds dead in his skull, mane and tail matted with blood; now wasn't that some sort of sick, twisted version of Hansel and Gretel? His blood would be the bread crumbs, but nobody wanted what lay at the end of the trail. Cera saw that now. He was not worthy of being the son of Midas, what had ever made him think he was? He was no son of a God. He was no shockingly beautiful, forever gifted daughter of two rulers. He was no Chief or Chieftess, no Sultan, nothing more but a mere pupil. He was nothing. A failure, a disappointment, a burden.

Throat clogged with emotion, choking, and when he coughs it only wracks his small body. Small; small like his existence, his importance, his usefulness. He can walk no further. Instead he stands, refusing to grant himself the reprieve that would come from crumpling to the sand. Cera did not deserve such a comfort. Ilaria feared climbing from his spine to the earth below, not wanting to aggravate or worsen his wounds, not wanting him to feel abandoned by the only beloved he had left.

Thin, bird-like chest shook with soundless sobs, crown hung and body quaked with hurt, hurt, hurt. Everything hurt, but it would never be enough to atone for his sins. A few tears slipped free, scalding his face, and he lifted his head to the heavens and screamed his agony to the skies. It rolled across the empty expanse like the sound of a wounded and dying animal, shrieking and hysterical, pained and hopeless. He did not do so to call his brethren to him, did not deserve their presence, nor did he believe enough knew him to even care or know how to treat him in a time like this.

Impossibly, unwarranted, he thought of Gaucho and Onni. Were they all he truly had left?

He was just a broken doll, unwanted, disgusting, with a tarnished and cracked porcelain face that was forever outshone by those who had whispered sick lies and promises of love into his innocent ears. He would never be good enough.

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
So I keep runnin' 'til my run is gone
Keep on ridin' 'til I see that dawn</style>

[Timeline wise, do you want this before or after the herd meeting/Kri leaving?]

The skies were nearly empty. This was both a troubling, and a welcoming thought for the large dun, who shook his head at the competing notions swimming in his simple brain. On the one hand, it meant he could focus on those below. Fewer in the sky, meant fewer threats which were airborne. On the other hand - "Where all soldiers?" He mumbled to Mara, who hissed sullenly in his antlers. I don't know. Ssssssssleeping? This was returned by a harsh grunt from Gaucho, and an aggressive beat of his wings. Which was worse? No soldiers, or just lazy ones?

His stormy gaze surveyed the ground for signs of Sohalia and Zeno. He hadn't seen Soh since the filly's birth, and given that their wall had been making little progress, Gaucho had begun to worry about her. Yes worry. Was it anymore complex or sentimental than he might have felt towards any other missing member of the herd? That was hard to say. For such a simple creature as Gaucho, his relationship with the white mare, was entirely foreign. They had never spoke of being monogamous, or even love. And yet...something itched in the back of his mind, indicating that when young Zeno was born, everything had changed. Even so - that brought about another problem, where was the young electrically charged filly? His searching gaze found neither the white mother, or his di-chromatic offspring below.

Grunting, Gaucho refocused on patrolling, and banked sharply to the right. He would search for them later. Dark wings moved his large mass with relative ease through the warm air. He had completed a few circuits of the Throat, and was now content to merely glide and be on the ready, should he be needed. He continued to circle high above, looking like some ill-formed hawk gliding around the skies, but possessing all of the same grace, if not the lithe figure.

After a time, he did hear something that drew his attention. Taking on a rather predatorial dive, Gaucho moved downwards from his high altitude, to where his blue-gray gaze could more distinctly pick out details below. Spying Cera, his thoughts immediately returned to their last meeting, and the warrior looked to see if the young stallion had once again brought an injured creature to their borders. Seeing none, but assuming the call had come from him, Gaucho ventured even lower, scouring the area around Cera for signs of fowlplay, or danger. Seeing none still, Gaucho lowered himself completely, until his dark hooves gently struck the sands with an uncanny grace. His wings folded lithely to his sides, as he moved towards the golden-boy.

A tangle of black locks splayed before Gaucho's gaze as his antlered brow lowered slightly to Cera's height, though he remained a few paces back. Was that the sound of...Tearsssssss Mara mentally finished for him, slithering down his dark nose, and holding onto his antlers so as not to fall. Her long white body extended forward, tasting the air with her dark tongue, and looking over Cera's painted pelt.

"....Game?" Gaucho offered hesitantly, a weak smile gracing his dark muzzle, hoping to break the tension. He wasn't great with emotion, especially sadness. Gaucho was a creature who broke bones and ended lives, who patrolled endlessly and sparred often - that was how he comforted those within these borders. That's how he kept them safe. But a shoulder to cry on? That was something Gaucho wasn't good at.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

For days, nay weeks I waited for him to come home. Fina often said that in my sleep I would cry out, relive adventures in that dark place which threated my soul, tore us apart—and possibly wounded the cherub who bore my name. He had been the first of a first, a son born from the wind itself. On the eve that I sheltered said foal from desert elements, it had been done out of grief, pity. Norse, my dead adoptee, was still fresh upon my mind. Still being mourned, and during those painful few weeks I wondered how to ever love like that again. Then as surely as a sun rose from the hills every morning; so did my affections for another wayward child without hope, without a father. His blood would become priceless. A destiny riddled with pain, and fortune. Pain because of the life which we plowed, and fortune because he had a chance at living again.

I had slipped away after patrolling all night, for few moments of quiet, a drowsy couple of minutes to sink into an abyss that didn’t require my unbending attention. There were no expectations in that black silence—no prying eyes that would judge my competence as a ruler. Fina screamed in elation. Her cries succeeded in wrenching mind free of a tangle, I blinked and glanced up. My locked limbs loosened and feathers started to slide free of barrel. She lunged for the Magnolia tree, breathless… but excited. Screams turned to soft squawks that urged me forward, out of the cool shadow. A vision of a creamy stallion came into my mind, a stallion who resembled someone….someone who was now covered in blood.

She had seen a young stallion cross the border—not just any youth.

“Cera!?"

My voice rang out aloud, sounding strained and impossibly shocked. Fina screeched ever so helpfully, lunging for heaven. She was willing to lead me. I didn't have to be told twice; sunkissed ivories pushed with a single powerful thrust. We left the ground in a rush, I rode the wind as quickly as it would carry. My chest was tight, throbbing harder and faster as the distance between father and son fell aside. There was nothing in this world which would keep me from him—no danger to shy away. Now that my prodigy had returned, there was no words to the emotion of me wanting to hold his body close to mine. Shelter that beautiful soul from a harsh world.

His speckled frame came into sight soon enough, standing upon the golden volumes of sand. Guacho stood with him. I smiled eagerly; tenderness and pure relief slide across my facade. Quickly I pushed us down, bending shoulders to kiss earth in a timely fashion. Fina soared ahead, hovering over him; her eyes a feast of softness, laced with concern. She could see the battle wounds festering upon his pelt—scars and blood. Those emerald orbs, so filled with grief and pain. My feet found ground moments later, and roughly might I add. Limbs flexed to absorb the stinging shock that coursed through flesh. Uncaring of discomfort, I rushed to him--almost completely ignoring the unyielding warrior he stood by. My lips embraced a smile that Cera would remember from childhood. Wings stretching to touch him, solidify our genuine. Fina eyed Ilaria and mara before cautiously drifting up.

Joy was tainted by his weakened appearance. “Cera!” I called, pitching toward his side in a concerned hustle. “Earth be praised, ye yet lives!” Senses could smell the bittersweet taste of infection, my wing rose up and over the taller frame. Sheltering him from the unyielding sun, offering my body as a support should he lean. “Be easy son, let me aid ye.” Motioning toward the phoenix I added silently through our link, “Find Onni.” she took wing to hunt for our shaman. Glancing at Guacho I nodded to him and voiced a soft question, "Does ye have the talent to mend?" it was true that magic rumored from said dun stallion had been far from healing-but that wasn't to say he didn't possess the art.

MIDAS & FINA
I'm waking up to ash and dust

STOCK CREDITS
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Cera
I'm an angel with a shotgun, fighting till the war's won, and I don't care if heaven won't take me back

[This takes place after Kri's departure, but before the meeting <3]

It is not long before his lips are pursed and clenching, eyes burn with need to release more salted liquid. He does not let them fall. Weak, too weak, hadn't he always been? Too weak to be son of the Gallant, to fight back against the devilish crimson monster who had placed his first unnatural scar upon his skin, to keep his friends by his side, to keep his sister safe and loved, to compete with a brother he loved and envied equally. Fake Midas had told him so often enough, but in the end, had it not been Cera who had ended his wretched life? Briefly he wonders if he did the poor creature a service, ending his life like that. Life brought about nothing but pain, did it not? And this world refused to receive him, the vile intruder he was. But he had not asked to be brought to Helovia, and such Cera felt the ever-growing guilt and suffering claw along the insides of his cavernous soul like a poisonous basilisk seeking daylight. He doesn't know how long he stands there, and doesn’t care enough to look heavenbound to find out. He merely stands there as his tears calm, drenched in blood, and wonders why.

It's not long before someone comes calling, though it was appropriately the other way around. Who wouldn't come, when such a hysterical screech came from his lungs? There is a shadow that circles the ground, and Cera drags his heavy eyes to the sky to see nothing but a black figure in the offset of the sun's rays. But that movement is familiar to him, remembering Roskuld and how Gaucho had found them both that day. He descends gracefully, despite his large build, and Cera turned his crimson-streaked face to the man he loved like an uncle, a brother. He didn't show it often enough, but his appreciation for Gaucho was deep and strong. Mara writhed in his antlers, dark small eyes peering near-sightlessly in his direction, forked tongue flickering from her mouth to scent the air around him. Ilaria gave a soft sound of agitation and hurt, her own grassy gaze caught on Gaucho like a homing beacon, knowing he couldn't understand her but pleading internally that he would help her bonded somehow.

Gaucho steps forward.

"…Game?" he queries uncertainly, and the hesitant, awkward smile gives Cera that little bit of courage he needs to return it, weak and wobbly. There are no more tears, now. Merely the sunken gaze of a broken youth forced into war too soon. Now, he looks back on his past self and scoffs at him, for why had he ever begged Midas to let him on the frontlines? Then again, it would not have been an enemy wearing his father's face whom he would have had to battle. For endless moments he stares, breath caught in his lungs, stagnant and breeding. He can't feel the ache of them. Instead he searches the rough, yet surprisingly elegant, features of the stag opposite him. Was Gaucho so used to blood and death, that he did not consider someone Cera's age too young for murder?

"No, not a game." Was that his voice? It was dry, cracked, old. How long had he been stuck in the void of wandering, of war? How long since he had last plucked the vocal chords in his tender throat, let them reverberate and sing out in praise of words that took him so much longer to learn? It felt sick and wrong coming from his lips, like death and illness itself was trailing like overly sweet sap down his throat into his gullet to poison him oh so slowly. He shifted and winced, teeth grinding down, jaw bulging as he catches the sound of pain inside his teeth as if gripping down on a physical foe. There will be no more cowardice now. This was his sick, twisted entrance into adulthood; after all, what would be more fitting than slaying the figure of his sickened father?

"I...I killed someone, Gaucho." It is a hurt whisper, a rough wind through brittle grass, echoing and rattling against each other violently as they break and splinter under the weight of the breeze. Gaucho is tall, and the adolescent lifts his head, trying to feel stronger, more alive, to meet the docile ceruleans peering in confusion down at his slight frame. If he were surer about Gaucho's reaction, he would press himself to the stag's chest, just to feel his warmth and know he would not be judged or fussed over. Sometimes, simplicity was all Cera wanted. In fact, most of the time that was the truth in his life. He understood Gaucho's struggle with words intimately, remembering his own tears over his frustratingly slow progress with language after so many seasons with no patron to guide him. Had Midas not found him, would Cera have ended up like the muscled warrior who so quietly watched him? Maybe if he pretended, he could fool himself that Gaucho was watching him with concern, or maybe even familial love.

Cera shouldn't be bitter, considering Midas had given him so very much, but Cera hated how often Midas was taken from him in daily life. It was his own personal sickness, one he hated, but one he could not purge. Even so, he knew the simplicity he wanted in Gaucho did not echo true, and his heart yearned for his father. Was he strong enough to face him, though? After having just murdered someone who looked precisely the same? What emotions would be evoked upon their reunion? Evil thoughts whispered into his head, things like 'Did he even notice my absence?' and 'Did he spare a thought to miss me?'. Lovely things warred quietly with them, but the mere presence of these dark questions made him feel sick and wrong wrong wrong everywhere like some sort of glass masterpiece with black smoke trapped inside, marring what perfection he may have attained.

Wingbeats.

Cera turned his crown slowly, tiredly, and squinted into the sky weakly. Entire body throbbed and burned like the poison that had once attempted to end his life. The similarities were not comforting. It is not the form of the stag that he recognizes first, just as he had with Gaucho's, but the songbird of flame that streaks towards him. Only when recognition tugs at his mind does he remember the wingspan, the stature, and he realizes who it is racing to his side from a distance he can't comprehend. A distance that was both mental and emotional, physical and spiritual. But he cannot stomach the sight of Midas, not yet, even if his form is blurred and blackened by the sun. Instead his eyes turn to Fina, his darling princess, the precious ball of flame and feather he loved so dearly. "Fina, my beautiful Fina," he breathes out, managing to lift his best wing to stretch the tip out to her, as if wanting to kiss her with his plumes. He prays she can give him the strength to turn and look at the face of his beloved father, the same face that had gone still and blank by his hand.

Golden walkers strike the earth like a punishing blow, fierce and exuberant, and Cera lowers his wing with a wince, glad he had not been stupid enough to use the one that hung limp and useless on his left side. As much as he fears it, stomach dropping to the earth in a dizzying rush, he cannot ignore the beckoning of his name in the same soft tones that were always used on him. Haunted emerald irises turned, wide and hysterical like a caged animal, lurching away without meaning to at the swift approach. His lip twitches as if wanting to snarl, ears flattening faster than they ever had, disappearing into a mane made snowy by age and sun. His body quivers, leg nearly buckling, ready to go down fighting because by the Gods all he can see, all he can remember, is the face of the crazed imitation as he lunged towards him to rip him apart and shed his blood in a shower of hate and vengeance.

Seconds later, he goes slack, sorrow and self-hatred like living green flames in his dead orbs. What has he done? Midas...this Midas...is not to be feared. "Be easy son, let me aid ye." Cera choked, limping over to the shade offered by the wing his father extended, and pressed a trembling muzzle tentatively to a dark shoulder. Warmth. He was alive. He was real. The real Midas. "D-Dad..." he choked out, the closest to 'daddy' he'd said in years. Tears prick at his eyes, but there is nothing to come, he has sworn to himself that he shall not. He turns his gaze to Gaucho, not knowing where to look, and he can't help it when he cries out as if in pain when Fina turns and takes off. No, no, Gods he has only just gotten them back! He wants to panic, needs to, wants to run after Fina and hold her to his side forever because he needs her, didn't she know that? Didn't he show her how much he need her? How much he loved her? How much she meant to him? And with a sinking feeling, he realizes- the three flames of life around him...that's really all he has.

"I killed him, dad. I...I killed him." It's a broken whimper, a whisper, as if he's caught between shock and wanting to puke his guts up right there on the desert floor. He's a shell, muzzle still barely touching his father's skin, not leaning into the proffered shoulder. Cera doesn't trust himself to know the difference between the man whose blood still stains his skin, and the man who stands beside him, the only beacon of light that has remained faithfully ever since saving him from the darkness of his own childhood.

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho nodded with almost apprehension as Cera confirmed that it was not a game - just as it hadn't been last time. The warrior almost had half a mind to leave - or to find someone better suited for the situation. Onni, or My-das perhaps (though at this point, he knew not of the relationship between their Sultan, and the beautiful boy) - surely they would know what to do. Yet Gaucho remained where he was. Something in Cera clung to the small part of Gaucho's heart capable of emotion, and it held him fast. It was not worry within his breast but...a sort of care, that he couldn't quite name. The dun released a long breath, as his stormy gaze searched the golden youth for signs of injury, but found none. Yet still...he obviously looked upset, didn't he? Gaucho could feel a muddle of interpretation begin to well within his chest - an acidic almost unpleasant feeling, that overtook whatever warm sensation he had felt earlier. It grew colder and colder the more he scanned the boy, and Gaucho's heart immediately grew protective and hostile. Whatever had done this to Cera, would pay.

Dark ears strained forward as the boy spoke, and though the words were soft, they rumbled loudly in Gaucho's ears like an earthquake. There were few things that the dun could relate to on such a primal level, as Cera's admission. The hostility that had seeped onto his rugged features dissolved into an uncanny look of thoughtfulness and intelligence. He truly was speaking Gaucho's language now. "Cer-a" He said softly, the gruffness of his voice seeming to fold around the syllables of the child's name, like so much burlap around a flower. His left wing pulled away from his chest, moving backwards slightly so that he could point with his longest flight feather, towards his left flank. There, his flank was stained with blood-red, vaguely in the shape of a hand-print. "That Gaucho's first kill." He said almost wistfully, remembering some long-ago time. For all of Gaucho's victories, he was not a creature who could be said to enjoy bloodshed, as others might. He fought for justice and his family - but he never killed for sport, or pride. And so, although it might be hard to imagine, there was a time that the now-accomplished warrior, stood no-taller or older than Cera, unsure of how to feel. "Cer-a must never forget." He advised softly but sternly. "-Even if it hurt, here-" With the same feather that he pointed to his hip with, he now pointed to Cera's breast. "If you do for right reason, might still hurt here -" Again he motioned towards Cera's heart. "But that okay." He said finally, reassuringly.

It is the strangest thing, as Cera first looks to the sky to greet the pheonix, and then eventually moves towards My-das. It is like...a coldness upon his heart. The distance between himself and where the youth has limped off too, almost feels like a tangible weight, pushing the dun away. With a slight shiver and grunt, Gaucho mentally probes Mara, who feels nothing of the sort Gaucho is silently dictating. With a confused stare, he watches the reunion between father and child, as My-das calls him son. Gaucho, who had never seen My-das with another mare, was dumfounded, for only a few days prior he had met My-das' daughter. And now, another? His confusion was broken as Cera turned to look his way, crying out as Fina departed. Instinctively, Gaucho stepped forward protectively, as if the beautiful boy was somehow in danger. With an almost embarrassed look, the warrior halted after only a stride, grunting, as he watched Fina depart.

Dark ears flickered slightly as My-das addressed him. Healing - it wasn't even an artform the beast had ever considered for himself. He had the power to physically wound, his magic gave him the ability to instill fright, and Mara could both poison and hypnotize. All of those were a far cry from being helpful in this situation. Shaking his head, his gaze looked to the sky where Fina had disappeared. "She go for Onnmnnneee?" He inquired, thinking it likely that she had.

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

I was tired and strained to a fine edge, he could see this and snickered all the more. “Better hurry though your son waits, he is quite the little murderer,” the sneering tone caught me by how bitter it sounded. Now it was my turn to snarl as an angry spark flashes behind a normally docile gaze, quickly I hiss a defense for my prized prodigy, “You are sorely mistaken”

He glances up at me, smile fading into a biting sneer, “Mur-der-er.”

“Aye,” I uttered quietly to answer my comrades question. Golden gaze lingered on Guacho for a moment then turned back at Cera with a widening realization and quickening heart. The memory of my time spent in that lost world reared its head like a diseased dragon, hissing with that forked tongue which seemed to gently caress my ears. There had been doubt of verification when the dark lord had spoke ill words to me about Cera, I had been desperate, starved. As my wings envelop Cera’s taller frame, truth emerged. Perhaps the joy of seeing my lost prodigy had put a sleeve across vision for a few blissful moments. Now I saw when my precious babe cried out for Fina, I saw what had been sorely missed.

Feathers touched his pelt and drew back a coating of crimson. Bile rose in the back of my throat though I didn’t shutter or shy away. Orbs only stared, frozen in time with a rising agony trailing horrifically higher. A whining sound pitched behind my skull, it grew until the hum drowned out everything except the sound of breath coming from his creamy frame, which someone had torn into, wounded. Covered in blood, in his blood, covered in…..

Guacho vanishes, for a moment the world suddenly grows cold and dark, a shallow light pools behind my vision—tunneled I lock my knees and blink. Shaking my head as if to clear snow from its base. He speaks to me.

“I killed him, dad. I…I killed him.”

A thousand whispers rush through my mind; all saying the same thing. My feet are planted but I can’t feel the earth beneath, somewhere Fina cries out in my consciousness-- unwilling to obey my previous orders to find Onni. She feels the danger. Panicked and now flying with a swiftness that couldn’t be matched. The brave little bird felt my fear rise, the terror of returning to that dark world from which I had escaped. “Who?” I whisper, ignoring her cries; a tremble causing the steel around my neck to quiver, “Who?” again. Though I’ve not moved a muscle from his side, there has never been a time when the spirit has felt further away. .

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Cera

Calm came over him slowly, like a wave of peace on a relaxing summer morning. In Gaucho's familiar presence, the anguish he felt melted away, lithe shoulders dropping as the tension was released like steam from a flask of anxiety and dementia. Golden eyes belonging to his father. Cera knew, now, what his father would look like should he ever fall in battle. It sickened him, the thought alone was almost enough to constrict his stomach as if in the clutches of a vengeful boa. The sky is reflected in Gaucho's eyes, which alight upon him and do not move. Unlike Midas, who casts his eyes heavenward and every other direction upon the compass of the earth in contemplation, Gaucho did not let his gaze stray. It was solid, comforting and enveloping. Emerald eyes gaze up at Gaucho, for as much as he has grown, the warrior is still far taller than Cera. From dark mocha lips comes a soft sound, his name, and in that deep voice there is something akin to compassion. It's like hearing the call of home, and a pale foreleg extends to step over the sand towards him, beckoned by the understanding decibels.

When Gaucho moves, Cera does not finch, instead watching as the flight feathers extended, similar to a ripple of lean muscle, and pointed out a crimson stain upon his canvas. It's an odd shape, one the youth has never encountered before. Foreign, like Gaucho was often considered. To Cera he is family, though. Nobody could convince him that Gaucho was dangerous, because as quiet as the warrior was, there was a wisdom in those clear sapphires that he trusted. That same feather extended to brush like a loving kiss against the scar laced like cobwebs of silver and pink across his breast. Every word is hung on, drunken up, clung to as if spoken from the mouth of a God. Wisdom imparted, trembling heart stilled and caressed with rough, warm hands of a worker.

A thousand words could not have adequately described the gratitude in his breast over the fact that Gaucho was there, that he understood, and that he was wise enough to handle Cera's shuddering, fragile sanity with gentle hands. It was rooted firmly once more, and though the pain of it was still there, he could handle it from there. So in the quiet of the lapse in Gaucho's words, like the stillness between an inhale and exhale, he slips his words in like a ghosting promise, the kiss of fingertips against skin, a memory at the edge of your mind that escapes time and again with nothing but a whisper of nostalgia; "Thank you, Gaucho."

Sincerity is thick in his voice, and he doesn't genuinely want to be parted from Gaucho right then, but they have no choice in the matter when Fina and Midas burst onto the scene, rightfully worried. Fina, of course, captures his attention, but his gaze flickers continually to Gaucho. Did he feel the separation too? Or was he relieved that the seemingly constantly depressed youth was no longer his to deal with? He is drawn away as ivory wings touch down on his skin, and he flinches, gritting teeth at the renewal of pain that flashes teasingly across the span of his flesh. Turns, and sees the shocked, horrified look Midas directs towards his body, which is covered in gore and soaked in blood, most of which belongs to him. Had his knees not been locked, he probably wouldn't be standing for long.

"It will heal," he manages to choke out, for once in his life unsure of how to comfort his father. But when he breathes out a question, of a single syllable, and his cry draws Gaucho closer, his body stiffens and he takes a few stiff, painful steps from out of his father's hold. Turns to face him, face cold and lips trembling. "You. I killed you." And his form trembles with anger, injustice, with all the emotions and the fear, the turmoil inside ever since that sickened body breathed its last taste of sweet summer air.

"You didn't believe me, when I told you there were alternates of you running around, when I told you that they looked exactly the same, but had a heart of black coal. I hated him, more than I have hated anybody in this sick, diseased world we live in. I hated him!" It is a roar, a caged demon freed from his vocals, a verbal release that he has denied in his head forever. The Earth God had told him, and the wise old Turtle as well, never to hate. To forgive. He cannot, he had tried, tried so hard to forgive that awful imposter. But he cannot, even with the face of his father, the voice of a beloved family member. "You did not believe me. I found him, in the shadows of that damned placed that gave me this scar!" And his laugh is angry, bitter, as he gestures to his breast.

"Well guess what, this land killed him more than I ever could, and he was the first to lunge for me, calling for my death! I sat and stared into your face as he tore into me!" A bellow, this time, but something is broken behind his gentle eyes, something bitter is in his tone. He is huffing, narrow chest heaving, and he stumbles towards Gaucho automatically, needing to see and be near someone who wasn't the exact replica of the demon who had spilled his own blood across earth that had already had its fill of his life essence.

"A-And...and I couldn't let him kill me, I couldn't...I couldn't do that. So...so I fought back. And he almost won, but he was weak and...and he had your face, and your eyes, and I watched you die, but it wasn't you. I killed him...because...because if I hadn't he would have killed me." Surprisingly there are no tears. Not a single film of moisture clouds his vision. He is just standing there on bleeding legs, hurting, but his head does not hang as low as it could, and his words are strong if broken, instead of shaking and desperate. He couldn't be known as the weak soul that cried at every turn, no. He would show them all that he could survive, that he had survived, and multiple times at that. "I watched him bleed, I heard his breath stop, I watched his heart quit beating. And I cursed him, for what he did to me, and I hated him. I hated him. But I can't help but think...but think that he was you, and you were him. That I killed you, that you will want to kill me in return. I don't know what to do, anymore. I'm tired of fighting to live on my own." And if there is a silent accusation, a sadness, to his words well...it was likely Midas wouldn't recognize it. So he stood, angled towards Gaucho, wanting the firm and unyielding protection and warmth he offered, and stood in a hectic trail of his own blood. Despite all the pain, he knew he was alive. But was it worth the dead look in his eyes, the haunted and hunted visage, as if he were a cornered animal ready to lash out?

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

dreaming my dreams with you . . . </style>

The shaman flew quickly, the wind following behind her obediently. Onni had never trusted the wind like her mother had, for Kri appeared to be simply another tongue of the breeze. The painted girl had never been fully comfortable in the air, for her flight had come with a lack of a teacher. Lots of falls and bruises and scrapes had taught her how to stay airborne. Whether or not the healer wished it, the wind was in her blood. It followed her now, as it had her whole life. For one who spoke of embracing themselves to Lace, Onni had a lot to learn.

Forcing her frame faster, the wind and the heat rising from the desert sands. Thin air producing less resistance, she covers ground faster. There had been no way to communicate directly with Fina. Lyhty had tried, yet it appeared the two birds could not speak the tongue of each other. The shaman knew, however, that any time Fina arrived with a pressing attitude and worried expression that Midas was in some trouble - usually injuries of either himself or others. Regardless of what message she would pass, all haste is taken in traveling forward, the phoenix leading the way in the forefront.

Miles disappeared beneath them, crossing the vast land that had been her home for many years. Familiar places, changing sands, flashes of winged brethren scouring the land. Then, a group so different yet painfully familiar emerges.

A banner of black, white, and gold. A mountain of dark brown and twisted black hair. The last, a splotched body of burnished gold splattered with blood. Before Fina even gives the signal to descend, Onni tilts her wings downward, angling straight toward the cluster. Heated words shout through the wind, tearing past the roar of air in her ears. The voice belongs to the sweet boy she knew below, whose heart seems to be torn between evils. What haunted his soul the shaman could not know, likely not understand, but the Illuminant could show her support.

In the world, there is perhaps no sadness greater than being alone. Cera may be surrounded by loved ones now, but whatever caused his heartbroken words happened on his own.

Landing upon the sands, the shaman makes her way toward the group, slowing at the words which fall from Cera's mouth. Staying at a distance, soft hoof beats, making sure she does not add to the disruption of energy surrounding this group. Quietly, the healer stands, her sky eyes glancing from face to face, heart beating wildly in her chest from the effort it had taken to get here in such a short span of time. Once her breath catches up to her, the girl looks toward the boy now so tall. "Cera," the name is calm but spoken warmly, concerned. The pain of his physical wounds appears to be minute compared to the expression on his face. A call straight from his heart toward the outside world.

"You need not be alone, for I am just a wings breadth away." Loneliness, anguish, defeat, and self-hatred. They all appeared across his face as shadows, but the eyes remained shallow and empty. They were not the lively spirits the shaman had once known. "You must not dwell on what has come to pass, what you have done, but instead what you can do better. Let go of the anger tainting your heart, so that you may begin anew."

[ ooc; I hope it's alright I had Fina lead the way. If not, I can change it. ^^ ]

ONNI</style> image by ejpphoto @ flickr.com</style>
 just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho listened as Cera recounted his victory over the would-be My-da, steadily fuelling his admiration and approval of the youth. To take a life, comes with consequences and challenges. There is accidental death, and then there is murder. Of the second kind, all sorts of difficulties can halt one in their tracks - the light fading from dying eyes, the raggedness of bleeding, and the plea's of forgiveness and change. All of these things, are usually unaccounted for, when one sets out to kill - but they come as even more of a shock, when the act is not premeditated, but somehow demanded by the situation, as in self defence. Yet easily the largest source of Gaucho's appreciation for what the boy had done, was in the description of his assailant.

A look-like My-das? He tried to puzzle whether the youth meant someone with My-das' similar features, yet as his story continued, it became clear that whatever apparition or magic was at play, it had literally made another My-das. Unconsciously, the thought sent a shiver through My-das, and his stoic gaze fixated upon the words Cera spoke with increasing pride. To kill someone with the likeness of a loved one was...nearly impossible to overcome. However one with the exact likeness ? It made Gaucho's primitive mind swim just to contemplate it - would it be perhaps easier, or harder than killing the real object of impersonation? Did Cera ever doubt whether the thing was merely a facsimile, or if it could be that it was the real My-das, somehow possessed?

His confusion was interrupted as Onni descended from the skies. A hush fell over the brute's soul at her mere presence. It was likely that she did not possess an aura of healing, as he was wont to believe, but perhaps that belief was all it took, to fuel a calming throughout. Yet part of him was still concerned - how would My-das react? The dun wondered if calming words of 'it's alright' is what Cera needed to hear, and yet that is more or less what he expected from the paint. There were no judgemental thoughts in these musings, only concern for the boy, and how this violent act and its reception, would affect his character.

[Gaucho just derps quietly... :3]

Image Credits

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

“You.” He utters bitterly and with enough strength to make me flinch. Both his words and body begin to quake ever harder at my side. My own pitiful trembling ceases as the final realization hits home, my body instantly grows numb; its final defense against the rampage to follow. With a mixture of shock, unwillingness to believe and pain—my cranium twists to see the unyielding rage that has built up into a hurricane of misery, self-loathing, and the worst, hate. The green furnace that he is writhing in, turns its claws to sear my heart into a shrunken state of my own personal realm of regrets. Spots around my vision darken, there is a clinching in my chest so tight I felt that there would be no point in drawing breath again due to the lack of space for it to travel. “You didn’t believe me,” he accused, blaming a previous fault; a lack of knowledge.

My mind raced back to that day in the Throat; I had deemed his experience a dark spirit playing toward some cruel jest. Yet, this apparently wasn’t a joke. The crazed laugh that has broken his face apart is far from the sweet notes of the child I had known—his shrill voice pitches higher into a nearly frantic state. Fina screams urgently somewhere in the distance, pressing against my lobe in an attempt to pry out what was happening even as a measurable distance separates us.

I had known the reason for Cera’s absence, feared the worst and been comforted by my Lord in the fact that he was still a member of this world, and alive. It was enough to know that he was breathing, even if it meant I couldn’t be near him. Now on this fated reunion. I didn’t feel that he would let me hold him, comfort unexplainable wounds that plagued the mind now more than his body.

Between his ragging storms I whisper two words quietly; spoken so softly it was likely nobody lest of all he would hear, “Forgive me.” But it wasn’t over, every day for the rest of my life I would be forced to hear, smell and witness the sins of some dark entity that held a face that was in all likeness. Me.

“Live on my own”

Each syllable had been a dagger toward my own self-loathing. From fear of failure, to wondering if I'd raised him without a Ma in vain. A Ma might have been there. I had tried, and obviously failed miserably. A shiver ran down my spine as if I were impossibly cold, though the air was warm and heart raced ahead. Outwardly my composure is unmistakably rigid.

There were no words of comfort to follow, Guacho stood by quietly—likely set on edge. I didn’t have time to worry about his feelings right now, or even give an inkling if he understood. Onni arrived quickly, led by a very distressed Phoniex that instantly landed across my shoulders—rubbing her beak protectively against my nape while eyeing Cera with small hum’s of confusion. The unbreakable Shaman offered her support and words of wisdom.

Before anything more could be said from any in company, the active part of my mind that still held some reasonable sense forced this body to draw enough breath for words. Words that would come so tender and soft, it would be as if I was speaking to myself or no one in particular, “I remember when eyes first laid upon ye; a humble child—a bright eyed cherub set to wander the dunes.”

Drawing back to that night I spun a fraction of our history, “The moon was hidden mostly, her gaze opened just enough to light our way. I was a soldier, walking patrols when ye found me.” Grim façade cracked just an inch, “Remember? We walked together that night and most eves after under the yawning stretch of our Magnolia.”

“Before the dawn of battle ye called me, daddy.”

The hairs on muzzle twitch back, and both ears slip ahead, “Ye has unknowingly become a savior many a time, and I have failed.” Slowly I reached out, purposefully drawing my muzzle toward him in an attempt to bridge us, “The beast which was killed saved me from damnation. He came into the dark world that had torn me from home and Helovia when your actions sought death—for death surely would have come to a soul that didn’t belong.”

I then described the parallel world that stood a mere veil away—I told them of the billions of pools and firelite skies. Of ocean water and starvation. I told Cera of how the portal had suddenly opened; stealing me from the cloaked world on the eve of its resurrection. Words filled the gaps of knowledge that I’d been hesitant to share after washing ashore. Most of all, I told them of this other Midas. How he had appeared, what was spoken.
Finally, when there was nothing left to tell I said, “He led me home.”

MIDAS & FINA

STOCK CREDITS

Cera

Midas recoils as if stung, and Cera wishes he were not so loose with his words. After years of tears and quiet pain, the anger has consumed him, but it is not aimed at his father. Of course with how his words had poisoned his tone, it certainly must have seemed like it. He is nearly panting by the end of his outburst, and he just wants to curl up beneath the magnolia and sleep until he could remember nothing of the past. There has been too much pain in his life, too much sorrow and longing. How many more scars must he weather upon his heart, mind, and body before the Gods are satisfied? But he can't question them now, when they have returned his father to him, when they have shown that he is not alone, contrary to his fears, by sending him Gaucho and Hototo. From his father's darkly maw come two words, and his anger dwindles, though it does not die. It is the same face he wishes to despise, for which he clings to his anger even still. But it is not the face of the demon, this time. It is the visage of the one it had imitated.

Onni arrives before Midas can speak again, flustered and harried. His name is called in soft tones, and he feels a child again, for is that not what he is? It seemed he had lived a thousand lives, walked a thousand paths in shoes he'd long since worn out. His soul was older than the vessel that contained it. Turning his head he seeks out her kind, beautiful face. Somehow, though she does not appear to understand his trials, her look is sympathetic. A beacon of light in an otherwise dark world. She had been there for him when his father could not, had held his life in her hands and breathed it back into him when he was but a babe lost on the path of life. That trail seemed so much narrower now, with age. "Onni," he breathes, and as she reaches for him he does the same, and feels old as his height encompasses her smaller form. Though still within the shelter of his father's wing, he extends himself, muzzle vying for the touch of her own.

"I do not want to burden you with my constant sorrows, Onni. Your presence...it's enough," he whispers, words he intended only for her, though uncaring if either male near to him happened to catch them. She has been his sister and mother, best friend and tutor. Onni had been at his side since he was a gangly colt, and in their time apart he had forgotten how it felt to know she was always there, a call away. But he could not bear the thought of placing his troubles upon her gentle soul. Her guiding light of a personality was more than enough to bask in, as if even her presence was healing.

Her words are sure, as if she is reciting them, and tensed muscles relax jerkily. Leg is lame and held off the earth because of it, but he lets the wise saying wash over him, tries to believe in it when all he wants to do is ask Gaucho; how do you deal with it? How do you stop seeing those dead eyes? How do you stop feeling the slick of their blood and the crunch of their bone? Do you ever forget?

"Then help me," he begs her, no more than a strained whisper, this time surely only for her ears. He does not know who to go to anymore. Gaucho and Onni are the only two to propose a solution, but he knows his father is still recovering from shock, and does not blame him. Gaucho could teach him how to forget. Onni could teach him how to forgive.

Midas speaks softly and Cera turns away from the painted beauty to look at him, eyes full of sorrow and nostalgic adoration as he remembers that day. "I remember...I could hardly speak, I'd never learned. I remember thinking that maybe the Gods had put our paths at a crossroads..." Quietly he listens, entranced, as his father recalls every nuance of their relationship. Only the tender thoughts are revealed, not daring to delve into matters like his attack. But when Midas ventured to say that Cera's wish for death may have slain the brute at his side, he stared at the sand below and murmured quietly in return.

"So you are saying I should not have tried? I should not have wished it? Attempted it? That I should have let him slay me there, and not fought back?" But it is idle macabre thoughts, at best, with no real bite behind them except the vacancy of bitterness echoing in his tone. As the alternate world is described to him his face is calm, if a bit creeped out. It at least gives him a respite from his thoughts, standing placid and quiet between Onni and Midas, eyes moving to set upon Gaucho, hoping the gaze alone would keep him there. He didn't want him to depart, and just looking at his worried, if mildly confused, expression was enough to bolster the strength Onni had sparked inside him.

"He showed me none of that mercy. But I'm glad he did for you."

He could get through this. He just had to work hard towards it, and put it behind him, or he'd never be able to move on to a better life. Maybe now, he could seek out Gaucho for training, so that he could protect his beloved family from twisted creatures like anti-Midas. Maybe now it was time to learn how to defend and protect everything dear to him.

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

dreaming my dreams with you . . . </style>

The words spoken to Cera are not different from the same advice given to her by the Sun God. Despite how many viewed the golden deity, Onni believed him to be a kind, wise, and gentle soul at heart, so gentle that his violent acts were often just a defense used to keep others from clinging to his heart. A lonesome soul, yet lonely by choice. The shaman respected and loved the God of Light for his courage, even if he clearly needed to grow in spirit. At least for a God, he had all of eternity to live and learn.
Onni would just have to make due with what little time remained for her here.

Looking into the sorrowful eyes of Cera, their desperate call for strength, the relaxing of his muscles leading toward the lift of a leg. The mare quietly comes to stand beside him, offering a literal shoulder to lean upon should the boy require it. His words, just above a whisper, fall on her ears and she smiles sadly. Forgiveness is not something that can be helped or taught; it must be learned within yourself. How should she guide him toward that? What did the lord of light say to her?

"The God of Light once told me that the wicked feed off of the negative, the hatred, the anger in our hearts. Offering them kindness and forgiveness is the only victory we can have against such evils, Cera," her voice is soft and warm, quiet in his ears. "To forgive such a soul is to have more strength than they can conquer."

The painted girl falls quiet again, allowing father and son to speak through the heartache to one another. She listens intently to Midas's description of this other world, how miraculous his survival of it all seems. The shadow of himself, the evil creature Cera had since slain.

ONNI</style> image by ejpphoto @ flickr.com</style>
 just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>