the Rift

[PRIVATE] a shiver through the house of glass

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie
The sun beat down on her back, the sure heat it was producing cut only by the swift and crisp wind that ushered in from the mountains around the lush green meadows and dark, contemplative forests of her home. The Lady was in thought after all that had come to her knowledge during the herd meeting, a subtle frown lingering on her features and body rigid and tense, head filled with unfounded worries for the missing Empress and an undulating, ceaseless contempt for her current situation in life. Not only was her reason for leading gone, her new partner couldn't have been any less appealing if a boulder had arrived in his place; her skin still crawled as if covered in thousands of fleas from being so close to him, so aroused by her own fiery passions to have insulted the merciless ebony man that had come to be called the Reaper among his peers and enemies alike.

Worst of her worries, more desperate than the bleeding of her heart or the anarchy raging against the state of politics in the Basin, was that her people - those people surrounding her even now - had seemed to be emotionless at the loss of a leader that Illynx had perceived to have been deserving of their respect. Never one to be self conscience, the new emotion rolling around within her was unsettling, made her feel anxious standing in the midst of the beautiful mountains where she had once felt entirely at peace and safe. They were all turn-cloaks, their knives hidden behind false smiles and loyalties - how could she trust a single one? Her eyes swept over them, her herd of perfect and horned dolls, and for the first time since rising to her place of power, she feared for her newfound sense of authority over them.

How might she win their love? Even more impossible considering that she cared very little for them beyond the affection a soldier may feel for his holster or hand gun, even before learning that they were owned by only themselves.

Unable to stand the droll afternoon any longer, the Lady gathered her muscles beneath her and sprang into an easy gallop, following her usual training path for such activities while attempting to force her brain to shut the hell up. Her lengthy tail sprawled out behind her, lifted by the air and wind that swept past her frame, her focus turning to the length of her strides, the power placed behind each muscle to propel her forward as swiftly as could be managed; anything to regain control over her aching heart, the riotous currents of her thoughts.

@[Deimos]
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather
If the GildedBlade had aimed to unravel, to revolutionize, to slander and disparage, her aim had been miscalculated. His abilities, his mayhem, his efforts and pursuits remained recognized, his necromancy and poise remained pernicious, and the confidence, the supremacy, the mastery of his position remained locked in place. If anything had resulted from her turbulent screeches and tumultuous layers, it was the desperate, cloistered ineptitude and ignorance seeping along her tongue, the deliberate, pathetic exploitations of a banshee upset by her companion’s alteration in sovereignty – and because he’d stepped and sat upon the throne, scepter and scythe in hand, she’d cast him as the belligerent foe. But the Reaper had sown the land with his blood, had mauled, contorted, distorted and unraveled intruders, had maimed, provided and proffered his sword to the constituents, to the comrades, incapable of fighting, he’d led them down the severe strands of war, he’d mastered the art of his machinations, and he’d rendered demise and quietus upon the thresholds of their enemies. Behind her fallen Empress’s daggers had been his knife, his cutlass, his rapier, slaying, slashing, severing and slaughtering. He’d commit the same actions over and over again, strike against the onslaught, the divinity, the covenant and convictions of peace, repose, and tranquility until it suffocated and strangled him. What more did she ask of him? What more did she want, did she crave? And why should he provide her with it, when each callous morsel he offered, extended and advanced, was treated like a decadent blemish? He would not alter his course, his convictions, his character, so that her failing queen could be brandished a saint, a martyr, for the cause; failure had blemished them too many times thereafter, molded and carved into their sides, to furnish and dispense empathies, serenities and melancholy laments. Deimos, pernicious, puissant and persecuting, refused to accept defeat, collapse and foundering any longer. He hadn’t been the one to falter.

The monster followed the wavering dips of her scent with slow, meticulous strands, the grinding, fractious knife slithering along glacial, shadowed, veiled halls. If she wished to spew her venom, to sink her asp doldrums into the atmosphere, she could do so here without the notion, the fear, the harm of their patriots overhearing, enticed and trapped by the tedious assaults of a scorned, derisive Lady. Foolishness had, unfortunately, beguiled her into continuing her barrage of nonsense despite his warnings, and only now did she seem to seek resolution from her incomprehension and unawareness. The piercing slate of his stare witnessed as she galvanized the sector of the deepening, lush valley, but didn’t seek to pursue her strides or secrets. Instead, he remained, standing amongst the empire, the kingdom, stretching out his power, his domination, his supremacy, awakening the terror of his desecration with the unattainable presence of his marbled recherché, stoic, impassive, silent, reticent and Tartarean. A beast, a titan, a Reaper, thriving amongst the murmuring, meticulous, malevolent strings of anarchy, sculpted for sedition, for upheaval, for insurrection and annihilation, awaiting to see if he’d have to unleash the siege of cataclysm, turmoil, and mayhem upon one of his own.

The steady thuds of her hooves against the earth steadied the raging of her heart, the cadence easy and elegant as a fine layer of sweat began to shine on her pelt despite the cool summer day. She was aware that something was out of the ordinary, a presence aware of her sporadic training session that watched her from a distance; perhaps it was only a pack of wolves come down from the mountain passes to stare down upon the untouchable prey in the safe guarded mountain valley, but the sensation only gathered the longer she tried to ignore it, and finally she conceded to find the source of the invisible tickle on her spine, drawing her pace from a gallop to an easy canter and then a trot, her blackened muzzle twitching away at the air to scent out who it was.

She was not surprised, really, to find who it was.

He hadn't been to far off from her position; she had been forced to track back a handful of yards in order to locate the Reaper's quiet observational point, her movements hesitant and stitched with a morbid curiosity as to what he meant by silently watching her. Surely it had something to do with the knives she had hurled at him at the meeting; whether he meant to kill her or simply come to a peaceable agreement was the murky unknown that made her approach so tentatively, her warrior's sense preparing her for the worst as her muscles tensed and prepared for a quick escape if necessary. Ulrik had assured her that it had not been the black devil who had caused Psyche's descent from power, rather himself, but she was not such a fool as to believe him whole-heartedly - the former general had been present, so agreed all who rose their voices on his behalf, and that was enough to leave the distrustful wench in a state of caution. It was not beyond her to kill for her own means, even those of her own species and herd, and while she could not pinpoint a way in which her death would benefit the man, she also knew that some did not need a reason beyond ending the throbbing of their prey's heart.

Ears raised and eyes dubious of his intent, she arrived before the ebony stallion and felt the same simmering sensation of fear rise in her belly. No, not fear; discomfort, an inborn sense to know when something was dangerous and wrong firing off as soon as he fell in her sights. She had heard rumors of the man's ability to kill with a single touch, and while she had not witnessed the magic in play herself, she knew better than to doubt her companions when they spoke of one another's prowess. The stoic state of the man didn't help ease her hesitations; chatty and "friendly" herself, she was deeply distrusting of any who held their words so closely to themselves, and that such a silent man had come to a position of leadership made her all the more uneasy. Still, she attempted to present herself to him in as best a light as possible, her crown raised high and tail raised to send her exuberantly long tail trailing through the air behind her, a facade of fearlessness that was belied by the dark glimmer in her eyes.

"Lord Deimos," she called out to him as she came within earshot, a delicate bob of her beautifully crafted face tossed in his direction as she drew her forward motions to a halt. Unsure of what to say past that point, she paused to look long at his figure, the deadly grace that comprised the man, attempting to usher in her own form of silent strength. In all honesty, before the meeting had happened, she had looked up to the powerful stallion and his many achievements; but women were fickle, and this man had been present while her best friend had been dethroned and she could not shake her suspicions that he had played a more important role than others had let on. Still, Ulrik and her run had quelled much of her distaste for him, and as she stood and looked upon the black unicorn, a trickle of her former respect drizzled over her disgust; but not enough to make her feel as if she owed him any sort of apology for calling him out on the underhandedness of the ordeal. In her moments of clarity since the events, she had decided that if he had approached her before the meeting had been called to inform her of the events, she would have reacted less violently, with less distrust; instead, she had expected her beloved Empress and been presented with a man who she didn't believe she could ever grow to love even before his rise to lead.

How could he blame her for her reaction, then? Perhaps because we are strangers, he and I, she mused, deciding at that moment that this would change here and now...as soon as she figured out how to broach the subject without offending either one of their egos further.

There was a river once,
with many round stones
enchanted by shallow hopes
of embracing the ocean;
water is peculiar this way,
how its life is a line
that cannot bend or change
without the approval of its bed.

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Heather
The Reaper watched as she advanced, spun her fickle, foolish web, slithered and slinked across the grounds in strength, diligence and unease – his lacerating, heartless stare narrowed, reveled and revealed naught of the sinister machinations clawing through his mind. Should he maul, maim, twist, distort, and puncture her frame, for denouncing his allegiance, for disregard, disdain, derision and scorn, when every lacquered, callous contempt of his coiled poise, of his sinister silence, had been for the land she stood upon? Should he offer death, demise, an undulating maelstrom of danger, of lethal vignettes and sinister machinations to arrive near her frame, send her quivering, quavering, into the ground? Should he ignore her altogether, remain aloof, impassive, reticent and unattainable, the marbled statue she’d screamed at in front of their brethren and patriots? Had she unleashed further turmoil and asp lies, he would have certainly unfolded the calamity of his desecration, of his malevolence and persecution, of his unholy apathy and villainous enmity; but her cautious forbearance, her residual anxiety, her stifled vocals and naught else, pulled him away from blackguard assailments, molten knives and diabolical cutlasses, the final, decrepit swing of a hot rapier. She offered his namesake and rank, nothing more, pushed the strange appearances, the stifling, hushed munitions back upon him, a beast never yearning for conversation. But somewhere, deep within his reticent being, he knew the demonstrations displayed at their gathering would somehow clamber and rise again, become another shrieking, unholy din resonating into the core of all their icy foundations, and he never yearned for their followers, for their soldiers, menders, and scholars, to see the disjuncture between leaders. It was foolish, inane and ridiculous to feud amongst each other when there were so many others to devastate and massacre, when annihilations breathed down sections of their glacial caverns. He was not one to bicker, to quarrel, because there had never been reasons to; understandings were to be sculpted, molded and composed. Unfortunately, it appeared as though he would have begin the monstrous whittling.

“I have bled for this land.” Death and demise paused, sorted out the fathoms and denizens he wished to warrant. The gilded creature wouldn’t like it regardless, with all of her love and benedictions comprised and composed for a snake sister, but if she questioned his loyalty, his adherence and faithfulness for a world he’d helped to sculpt, she was a far number creature than he took her for. To doubt him, to suspect he’d pierced and stolen a crown, wrested a throne away from serpent coils, to believe he labored over this kingdom to see it falter; she’d remain a silly, inept fool. Would she scream, screech and howl again, drive her venom and vices back into the chilling kingdom, or understand the simplicity of his course? The cold aperture of his mouth wielded its siege once more, and then roamed back into the rims and edges of hushed barbarity. “Not for a fallen Empress.” Psyche had thrown it all away, and left Ulrik and himself to pick up the discarded fragments, hastened into self-pity and humiliation – was that what she remembered from her once emboldened, once powerful, once deceitful, proud leader?

"I have bled for this land, not a fallen Empress," the cold voice of the devil sounded, replaying the images of every passionless face that had come to his call; didn't take long to open this jar of chaos, she thought as the words struck her. Her ears splayed aside, her hatred towards herself for having reacted on impulse as she did broiling beneath the simmering disgust for those who had refused to love her friend as she did, most intensely her blame she held for the black stallion. It was not that she could not understand his words, the reactions of those around her; when she really thought about it, little had truly been accomplished under the Lady Psyche, but her heart refused to let her brain's gentle prodding budge its steadfast position. What Deimos could not know was that her confidence was faltering without the black mare as her armor, and that left alone, she was unsure if she could fill the gap that had been left in the absence of either Mauja or the devilish Empress. Her frown grew deep and thoughtful as she swallowed his words in silence, looking long and hard at the stallion before her as she chose her words.

"You feel no love for her?" she asked, knowing the answer even as she said it, her head sadly shaking in a slow arc from left to right. Of course not; he would not be so cold and commanding in his crown if he had. Still, it ached, it bled and festered within her, that she could not save the woman from the loathing that had arisen in mind of her as the battle of the Edge and Throat were lost, a final straw fractured to send the avalanches down atop her head. Glancing down at her hooves as she felt the tears threaten to steal her composure again, the millionth time since discovering her desperate state of solitude, she pressed her lids tightly together and let the mourning slip back into it's glass box. It was not the time for tears. It was the time for healing the wounds that she had torn open with her tongue so thoughtlessly, so emotionally, so very much like a fucking girl.

"I would not be here to lead if it was not for that woman," spoke her anger as her eyes raised back to the bitter blue of the man, ears finding themselves lost among the straight black locks that sprung from her poll, the words flashing like the edge of honed metal in the mountain air. "I know nothing of your beginnings, but you will hear of mine, and you will listen to them carefully, for her worth lies in the story," narrowing her impassioned golden gaze her mind braced itself for the painful regaling of her life, the shameful admission that she had once been weaker than even the most pathetic of the hornless filth on the earth. "I was born to the Edge, to a pair of unicorns as devious as both you and I, and before I reached my second year, the rodents of the land had stolen my family from me, left me to their unkind treatment of the child who had been born to monsters, as they saw them to be. I have never been weak. But such a life is no life at all," her words remained of level pitch and tone, her mind and heart both struggling to maintain collection in the wake of the tale, "the Lady Psyche found me weak and near the end of my sanity, a creature of the darkness more so than the proud unicorn that I was bred to be. It was her strength, her ability to rise above their foolish notions of equality and her graceful extension of belonging that spared my life from an early end. She gave me... us purpose, Deimos, no matter how deftly one may paint Mauja's involvement in the birth of our coven. That a war was lost is no more her ill doing than it is yours and mine, the General of the army that failed and the golden bitch who lost to a healer and her dragon."

Her gaze was accusatory, it's bitterness palpable as the snarl upon her lips. Sure, Ulrik had disposed of any blame on the rearrangement of the crowns that could be placed upon the harbinger of death, and her own guilt flickered for but an instant in her gaze as she burrowed her eyes as deeply into him as she could muster. "Are you so quick to dismiss her conquests? The defeat of the silver maned wench of the Throat? Her boundless loyalty to our home, the foundation of our roots? Your lack of empathy sickens me, regardless of my feelings towards the woman. She may not be suited to lead us any longer, but you will respect her for all the blood that she shed for our cause, as you demand respect for yours." Feeling her ire settle back within her belly, a rumbling tiger that prowled and waited for it's second chance to strike. "She may no longer be worthy of leadership, but she is worthy of honor regardless. You demand my respect but give none to those who have already earned it, and for that, you receive nothing but my contempt for being so narrow minded. I will take Ulrik's word that you did not steal her crown -" venomously her gaze glittered as her mouth curved into a mocking sneer, "but do not take me for such a fool as to believe that you were hesitant to place it upon your head or at all concerned by her absence and the loss of her skill; your remarks in the meeting have proven your position in such regards, and you are a fool to dismiss the loss of any of our warriors so quickly and thoughtlessly. They flake away like layers of ice from the cliffs in the thaw of summer, our armies; and that cannot all be accredited to the actions of a single woman." The logic of a child, truly, to blame any misfortune on an individual; had it not been the sword of Deimos who had pierced the heart of the hornless to die at their gates, the very stream of deaths that had brought the wrathful eye of the Edge meandering to their mountain in the first place? She had not been there, of course, but word of such events spread quickly throughout the herd, especially when he and his accomplices had left the bodies to rot at the foot of the valley.

There was a river once,
with many round stones
enchanted by shallow hopes
of embracing the ocean;
water is peculiar this way,
how its life is a line
that cannot bend or change
without the approval of its bed.

Heather
Banshee sirens and maelstrom shrieks, turbulent torrents and screeching tirades bolstered and ignited; he immediately regretted his attempt at conversation. The golden femme became an inferno, triggered and kindled by malice, by menace, by a devotion and dedication that not many shared. She seemed intent upon dragging him into her inept corridors, where asp toxins, foolish inclinations, specious desires and ignorant claims rose, bursting, impudent, impulsive volcanoes, spewing ash and vitriol, but he paid no inclination to follow. No one had the power, the prowess, the ferocity or might to sway him into their emotions, into their sympathies, for he was mostly without either, he drank in apathy, enmity, and animosity – and her stories, her myths, her beliefs and creeds didn’t manage to slash or melt his frozen, nefarious heart. The opposite occurred and he altered into formidable steel, unreachable, unattainable, tainted and drenched amongst infernal expositions, a foul, callous gleam of statuesque domination. His features failed to flicker from their reticent haze, impassive, stoic, unmoved, unaffected, unconcerned by each layered fire flung upon his flesh, meant to scorch, meant to sin, meant to sear. Her embers only met unholy recherché, scintillating nonchalance, ravenous, imperious annihilation, poised to simmer and seethe in the unwinding bedlam of her distorted carnage. You feel no love for her? The rasp, the grate, the abrupt candor of his damnation slinked through feral, indignant lips, puncturing, lacerating, piercing and slashing. “No.” Very few had ever claimed his devotion, his benedictions, his convictions, and the former Lady never managed to acquire a snippet of his blackened sentiments; he’d wielded his sword at her demands, at her calls, at her requests, but never kneeled before her daggers, kissed her rings, admired her throne. Was one supposed to cherish their leader, hold their hands through every crisis, reward them for their efforts when it was the herd, the cadre, the brethren and patriots that deserved the chords of glory? “You cannot force others to feel the same.” Whether Psyche had inspired others was to her own credit and merit, but to beat the notion into oblivion against his ears wouldn’t justify a swing to her side, and he stood, resolute, adamant, determined, to not comply with the howling woman.

The more she berated, the less interested he became. Even as she spun her tale, the Reaper felt no proclivity to stay, listen, enticed or allured by her boiling rancor and derision. He didn’t treat her to his own narrative, nor care to delve further into all the chaotic frames of her prior lifestyle or childhood, and nearly scoffed when she raised Psyche back onto some viper pedestal, ignoring and forgoing Mauja’s involvement. Psyche had not given him purpose, he’d managed to find, discover and unravel the armaments, the sieges, the bloodshed, and munitions, satanic reveries, heathenous raptures, upon his own well before wandering into Helovia. By the time she’d finished, he’d ventured into ignoring her altogether, formulating Machiavellian machinations through his hedonistic skull. All the accusations, all the allegations, assertions, and incriminations thrown at his marbled state fell to the ground, withered and decayed, incapable of scarring a beast well aware of how the world had unfolded before his eyes. Her poison, her fangs, her bane were ineffectual dregs of toxins, fermenting and brewing into the hollowed void. All her fabrications, all her deceptions, fell upon a colossus of composure, of control. His mouth parted again, justifying the archaic reticence of his insurrection. “I have demanded nothing from you. Do not feed your venom with more lies.” The monster paused momentarily, fixated death into his savage lungs, into his brutal breath, until the unholy barbarity of his vocals strung between the two of them, sharp, caustic. “I followed her commands, I did my duties. Perhaps it is your mind that is narrowed.” He had no reason to defend his actions, for he’d accomplished no moral sin, no iniquity upon the viper-woman. Illynx, however, seemed intent on clambering upon the same venue over and over again, marching him down upon gallows and stringing him up by a taut noose, but he refused to play into her game, into her specious guile and vacuous schemes. Deimos declined, spurned, and dismissed the opportunity to waste the hours away speaking to a soul bent on ignorance and hand-spun disdain, to a harpy, to a fool insisting loyalty and devotion for a being already gone. He uttered one more cold, chilling reverberation, death and demise finished with the endless shrieks, wails and stupidity. “Concentrate on your own flaws.” Then he turned away from the gilded blade, sinuously stepping, slinking, slithering, ceasing to bend into the unreasonable terms of her dominating melancholy, longing, yearning, for the shadows to claim his taciturn flesh once more.