the Rift

[PRIVATE] Down by the river side

Kelec Posts: 18
Aurora Basin Crafter
Stallion :: Other :: 18 hh :: 24 Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable

Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.

Summer was slowly coming to an end. It was still hot, the days still filled with endless sunshine and the nights a buzz of swarming mosquitoes, but ever so gradually the colors of the landscape was beginning to shift. The greens of the trees and the wild plants had become matte and faded, a tired hue with a dusty tinge that whispered that the season was well past its peak. Most flowers had blossomed and died away, leaving only the later varieties like yarrow, tansy and a vast sea of purple thistles that gave the meadow its name. The water of the river was brown and dirty, its contents little more than a trickle in a layer of mud and debris; sediments torn loose as more and more creatures struggled down the banks to slake their thirst had transformed the riverside into a mudslide waiting to happen, and the centaur kept a good distance between himself and the tepid water as he meandered across the open field.

It had been a calm summer, for the most part. He'd had plenty of time to settle in and make himself comfortable in the hidden vale up in the north, plenty of opportunities to engage in conversation with the unicorns that made up the overwhelming majority of inhabitants. Kelec had to admit that it became slightly tedious after a while. In the beginning he'd have thought that living with these magical, graceful creatures would turn out to be both intriguing and exciting, but so far he felt more like a pariah, a fantastic monster up for display for the spear-wielders to stare at. It had been a relief to get away from it, from the loneliness that persistently haunted him, that felt even greater now despite the company of intelligent, verbal creatures.

Lips pressed tightly together at the gloomy thoughts, the half-horse broke off from the muddy brown scar that was the river and headed south for a while, blue eyes scouring the ground in search for the markings he had made when setting the traps. Deeply tanned skin gleamed from sweat as he knelt down and freed a struggling body from its constraints, lips mumbling a soft prayer for the spirit of the rabbit as strong hands grasped the base of its neck lightly - then pulled and twisted in a quick, well practiced motion. A faint, sickly snap was heard and the hare grew limp, the chestnut centaur reached back and placed it in a makeshift bag of woven baskets that lay slung across the whithers, to join with the small assortment of other wild meat he had collected from traps during the day.

Straightening up once more the man pushed long strands of crimson hair away from the face, leaving a hand lingering above the brow to shade the vivid blue of the eyes. He gazed out across the open expanse, somehow feeling tired despite the successful hunt and the slow pace kept. It was not an exhaustion of the body, but rather a deeply set weariness of the soul - it persisted despite his attempts at chasing it away, and caused a deep, heavy sigh to slip from the strange beast.

This calm was beginning to grow tedious...

@[Midas]

Taras Kalapun @ Flikr

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:40
Helovia Hard Mode

Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kelec

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
take away the pain inflicted on me, the hunger you're letting me feed
Life went on, and under the guise of ruler life seemed tripled in speed.

The Throat grew larger with each passing Tallsun night, harboring chorus of lost souls trying to find their purpose in this cruel yet beautiful world. Some only passed through on a pilgrimage; others stayed for a time then moved on. Sometimes a youngling would cross the wall brimming with expectations and a thirst for glory. Greenhearts would end up in the ranks of warrior, some might become healers if they were a tender soul. I stood by the idea that there was a place for every willing creature, a throbbing heart could be trained to beat to a rhyme of loyalty, passion.

Eventually I grew tired of patrolling because of a disappointment that was growing stronger with each new eve. My heart needed a break from the same endless todo’s. Ktulu. Just as strong as the yearning to see her again was— that same emotion was tainted with dread. She hadn’t come to visit me a single time since my return, nor had there been rumor of her concern for personal wellbeing during the passing months. I tried not to think the worst, but it grew harder as days turned into weeks.

Fina gently pinched my coat, a vain effort to make me feel better. I could feel her gaze continuously watchful for any mishap that would send me hurling over the edge of reality. We both feared that another trip into a time lapse would be fatal. I didn’t figure such would repeat itself, but then again it wasn’t figured that my first visitation would have ever happened. “You worry much,” she said. I frowned and gazed down a slopping hill we happened to be standing upon with rising sadness. This same mound had taught Cera and Hototo how to glide. Those had been happier days, “You can still find happiness.”

“Fly,” she urged, spreading wing from my spine, “fly fast, and forget.” I turned her way long enough to catch a glimpse of what appeared to be one of those rare smiles. Perhaps she was right. I charged downhill, gold followed were each dagger dug mercilessly into earth. My own mighty appendages flung out toward the light, a strong northern breeze filled their empty hollows and away into heaven we went. Funnels of hot air carried us higher into the patched sky, I smiled. This was living. The sound of wind and wing, the smell of snow carried from high up north.

We spun round, a game of sky tag that I always seemed to lose. A phoenix was much smaller and thus swift, she laughed—to my ears the sound was like leaves rustling in the trees, to those that would hear it without a bond… it was a raptor cry. Our games wouldn’t last for long, something…rather interesting caught my eye. Turning gaze toward the sailing ground I locked sight of a…by earth what was that!? Fina caught my lapse and came near. She peered down with me and hissed quietly to herself in displeasure, “Trouble?” she asked.

A question that couldn’t be answered, at least not by me.

Unable to resist the overwhelming need for answers, I carried us lower and was forced to thump harder to compensate; call it natural curiosity. I was also wary about things that traveled so close to Throat’s border. It was an equine, or in some resemblance. A half breed of sorts. With extra hooves, a short muzzle and…no… head? Yar, I thought, there was a head. Just not a horse’s head.

Credits or something
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Aurora Basin Crafter
Adoptable

About to resume the time consuming work before the day grew hotter, the half-horse had already turned the gaze away from the horizon when something in the periphery of the vision caught his interest. Pausing in the midst of a turn he retrieved the attention to the sky, eyes narrow and squinting as he searched the blue expanse, trying to find that glimmer of something that had seemed so out of place. A faint screech upon the stale gust of wind, a sound of wings too large for any bird he knew to exist...

There. A black dot growing steadily larger, not very close to the horizon and slightly too close to the sun to be easily spotted on a day as clear as this one. Kelec tilted the head curiously as he followed the strange creatures flight, noting with interest that it seemed stalked by a gleaming red spark, a flicker of flame escaped from the eye of the sun... But no, fires didn't burn without fuel. At least he had never seen it do, and as much as he prided himself on keeping an open mind Kelec still had quite a bit of prejudice about how the world should be working.

As he was far from unintelligent, it didn't take long for him to figure out what the flying thing was. He had seen the winged horses before, albeit at a distance, and as the creature came closer he was able to spot the outline of carefully tucked legs and the gleaming white banner of a tail that streamed behind it. The flaring sliver of sunlight remained a mystery though, and with as much interest as the airborne ones, the chestnut male stared back up at them.

Who knows how long they could have remained like that. Until the sun set and rose anew without doubt - but Kelec rather preferred not to waste his time if it could be avoided. After several long moments had passed the man raised a hand in hesitant greeting, remaining quiet where he stood; his voice would hardly reach that far anyway, and he wasn't one to speak unnecessarily.

For all that the gesture was reserved however, he had a hard time keeping his facial muscles in check. The red-haired man felt a strong urge to grin like a child on a field trip, heart beating fast in exhilaration; he'd never been that close to a wing horse before! Would it come closer still? Should he do something, lure it closer with a treat? A quick look around revealed nothing but coarse grass and thistles, he had to discard that idea... But still, how he ached to be allowed to get a closer look!

Taras Kalapun @ Flikr

Helovia Hard Mode

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
For a moment I could live without thinking about her. Ktulu. I could live with distractions, constant and continuous distractions. They wouldn’t ever know the hurt which plagued me; or how much I wanted to shrink inside—curl up as a child might against the oncoming storm. Only for a short period of time would the world release its hold upon me long enough to return sanity.

Suddenly the male creature did something rather extraordinary, he raised his hoof—his…whatever it was, in a waving manner. The way we might shake our heads or wave our tails back and forth. I stared at it, befuddled enough to want an even closer look. Despite Fina’s rather annoyingly loud objectives, my feet found grass moments later. Gold sprang with each prancing step before disappearing entirely.

Wings remained aloft, arching high from my body in the chance that whoever or whatever this was would attack and a speedy escape would be warranted. For a moment I stared across the short distance between us, (which spanned about fifty or so feet straight across.) There was two slits for eyes, (which seemed to be peering at me), a rather short stubby looking set of nostrils. No ears, just…little holes; and this weird line across the lower portion, just below the muzzle. A mouth for eating maybe?

What did it eat?

Surely it couldn’t reach the grass like that. For a moment a visual image of mutated horses rampaged my brain; their pathetic skinny frames. Unable to eat properly from the ground which sprang so much nourishment. Before an ounce of pity could whelp Fina hissed in my mind, her voice rising above the vision, “I smell meat, he has meat.” Blinking, I didn’t spare a glance her way but slyly I shifted my gaze to the satchels he wore around the center. “He eats meat?”

Aloud I whispered, “How should I know?”

Credits or something

Aurora Basin Crafter
Adoptable

It was as though the creature had heard his thoughts. Kelec felt his hearts beat rapidly in the chests as beating wings brought it in closer, wind whipping the long red hair back from the face while the tall thistles danced and bowed, humbled by the presence of the mythical being. He could hardly believe his luck when the horse came in to land, hooves touching down with a grace that made him ache inside... Absolutely marvelous.

He had to profess himself speechless. This had to be the most beautiful creature nature had ever seen - and he still had that dazzling palomino centauress from across the vale in fresh memory. It was just... The way it carried itself, the enormous ivory wings dipped in purest gold, the sleekness of the coat and the hones muscles... Wide blue eyes became even wider as he finally was given the answer to what the flickering flame was too. A bird, completely wrapped in blazing fire, exuding a heat he thought was quite unnecessary in the sweltering hot day, so blinding it was hard to look directly at it...

It was too much. If there were gods wandering this earth then surely this must be one of them. The centaur took a step backwards and lowered the torso in a deep bow while thoughts raced through the mind. What was this, what should he do, could he pet it, no he'd better not, why had it landed and by the gods he had to keep cleaning the traps before the meat spoiled and screw the meat, this was incredible!

He was honestly about to keel over when whispered, seemingly frantic words extended from the stallion who, once he got over the massiveness of the wings, actually was a fair bit shorter than himself. At first he barely registered them, thought they were stray thoughts if his own, so little did he expect it to possess the gift of speech. Then it struck him, and a flaming red mane followed back up as the centaur straightened in surprise.

"You can talk!?" he exclaimed before he could restrain himself, the shock clearly visible even on his features, so different from the horse's. "But the legends said... They clearly didn't know what they were talking about." Slowly beginning to regain a semblance of a grasp on the situation he shook the head disapprovingly at the thought of the pompous elders that had filled the heads of generations with their misinformed nonsense. Once the piercing gaze returned to the frame of the mortal angel it was decidedly more steady, curious still yet somehow... more collected.

"Greetings" he offered, the bow shallower this time, more restrained. "My name is Kelec, son of Falmach, son of Karena. To whom do I owe the pleasure of this meeting?"

Taras Kalapun @ Flikr

Helovia Hard Mode

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
I wasn’t sure what to make of this stranger; and apparently he wasn’t sure what to make of me. The half horse like thing leaned ahead, I watched intently as he bowed down—mimicking a pose of reverence that didn’t suit my stature in this world. Said pose was for the gods alone; I felt my lips curl into a smile despite the fact that it was likely myself which should be showing the utmost respect for this spirit. In truth this wasn’t my first encounter with the unusual beings of this world—and obviously it wasn’t to be my last.

My musings didn’t last for long; apparently hushed words had been within earshot, a voice rocketed toward us with an excitement that made me start like a doe suddenly caught between wolves. “You can talk!?” Mouth flapped open and I felt Fina scurry along my neck, eagerly approaching the brim—her weight pressed against my head but I barely noticed. It took me a moment to shut my jaw as he muttered on; flapping his rosy mouth up and down. A short tongue was hidden behind jaws, and two canines poked out—like predator. His mane was short, choppy and didn’t run the length of his body; but some of it had invaded his....face, and was growing into some semblance of a beard that I had often seen unicorns and elders sport.

He finished mumbling, straightened and offered me another bow while speaking slower, steadier. His polite manner cooled the nervous race of my heart. Feathered limbs slide effortlessly into their protective sheath, I sighed as they fell tightly against my barrel. Right forelimb extended until my frame had fallen into a graceful bend that was due to return his polite gesture. Ivory tendrils lashed against my quarters when I rose again and met his distant eyes, “Midas, son of Therin and Belie. Soldiers of Dragon’s Throat.” Ah yes, it had been noted that he had mentioned his da and ma’s, “Whose names likely mean little to ye.”

“Ye has an equine tongue, are ye a spirit?” I hadn’t wanted to draw near, but the stranger had awoken a curious spark that wouldn’t be satisfied until fed proper tender.
Credits or something