the Rift

[OPEN] The rays of dawn (Asher)

Arrane Posts: 127
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 5 years
Orinthia
The mare that Arrane had previously met was wary of him, especially in the darkness of the forest. At first, she had deemed him untrustworthy, but through non hostile actions, it seemed like he had gained her trust. It had been impending to the white warrior that Asher would deny his offer of joining the Foothills, but her reaction had become quite the contrary of his primary thoughts. She had no means of officially staying, but just maybe, Arrane could convince her to stay within the ranks of their loving family.

Now his mind was drifting on what the dark mare had to offer for the well being of the herd. She seemed very though, his mind bringing back up the image of her fighting to stand after horrendously tripping. Flicking an ear, he imagined other ranks she might be interested in, so kindly speaking, he turned his head back. "I hope my pace isn't too brisk". Well, it was completely off topic of what he wanted to say, but his gait had picked up anxious to get back home. He couldn't wait until he saw the overjoyed look on his leaders face.

"Okay. I was actually avoiding the real question....what skills do you have to offer to the Foothills?" Interested in what Asher had to say, he slowed down, his pelt illuminated by the red glow of the sun as the emerged from trees and long plains. The land started sloping, and sparse forest covered a rocks valley. The long grass brushed against his legs, and his red tinged mane was a flame, sunrise on the hills was truly a sight to see.

Asher Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
A small gasped escaped her lips as she gazed at the beautiful landscape before her. She stopped slightly as she absorbed the scenery. She shook her head quickly, as she rushed into reality and carried on walking. She realized that Arrane was right when she said that she had to see it for herself.

She then noticed that Arrane had asked her a question. The mare pondered on it for a little while before she found the words she wanted to say. “Umm… well I can run and have pretty good stamina if I do say so myself. But, to be honest my fighting skills need a little work. I’m a quick learner though. I like to use head games rather than one on one combat. I don’t exactly know what that all adds up to…” the mare mumbled. She was still not used to talking to another fellow equine. After months of not speaking to others it was a drastic change. Asher has never been particularly partial to change, but she was certain that this was a change for the better and not the worst.

She looked back at Arrane, studying the white stallion in the light of the stunning sunrise. “You said you are a warrior… what do they do exactly?” she asked, curiosity boiling in her eyes like sweltering lava erupting from a volcano. She was now beside Arrane, but staying a comfortable distance away from him. She was defiantly starting to relax now since she now considered him trustworthy.

Hidden Account
Orinthia
Hearing an audible behind him, Arrane craned his neck to look at Asher as she gazed at the land in awe. He was right when he said she needed to find out for herself. A prick of satisfaction urged another smile on his face as he turned his head back in front, and continued walking forwards. It was of great joy that the dark mare liked the place he adored. It brought him happiness when others felt the same emotion.

After the simple question he had asked, Asher took to some concentration, deciding her words. Intently listening, the stallion took everything she had to say in. The mare would be a great addition to their family. A quick learner, stamina, swift, and intelligent. "That is great!" His voice was risen with enthusiasm. "I honestly think you're really skilled and a great addition," he said, gazing at the sunrise with a hopeful look aflame in his eyes. "I'm glad that you decided to come back with me", he added in a quiet tone, almost to himself.

"And don't worry, it was no assessment. I was just curious, that was all. But it all adds up to a new family member that we'll care about", replying, he wondered if she thought that he was testing her. Arrane would never imply something like that upon another equine. He felt Asher's gaze upon him, and simply looked back with the same friendly look. If only most knew of his arrogant side, that was a little competitive. He was a young stallion, it was only in his nature to brawl every so often.

"Warriors. They are the horses that defend the herd, and practice fighting. They are like the protectors of the Foothills", he added. In his old home, when he was merely a boy, he grew up to be a lead general, conducting his herd's fighting forces against invaders. His leadership role was in the past, but he wondered. Would he ever try to be ambitious and try to pursue the rank of general? Not yet, however. Asher walked at a comfortable distance, but besides him. She was interesting, of course, being a newcomer. He decided to try to get her to speak a little bit.

"So...where do you come from..?" He awkwardly questioned. Is that the best you can do!? A little voice scolded him from within.

Unregistered
Asher smiled at Arrane’s praise, absorbing in all of his words. For once Asher knew the answer to the stallion’s question the second it escaped from his lips. “I came from further south. I don’t know exactly where, but all I know is that whatever family I had got killed,” she murmured. The black mare’s furthest memory was only a few months back. She woke up in a large field surrounded by the corpses of five or so other equines. She could not recall exactly who they were or why they were all dead but she did know that they used to mean a great deal to her. Even with all that said, no matter how hard she tried, Asher wasn’t able to find any emotional strings attached to them.

Feeling like she had to explain her lack of emotion she added “, Well you see… I don’t exactly recall any part of my life except for just a few months back. I just woke up and all I exactly knew was that I was on my own and well that was that.” She looked down at the ground, almost afraid of what he would think of her.

Then lifting up her head slightly, she snorted shaking her head in annoyance as a leaf brushed against her nose. The tiniest things could bug the young mare. Something as simple as a leaf or perhaps a raindrop falling on her back can make her snap; though her negative attitude normally doesn’t last but a few seconds.

Hidden Account
Orinthia
A smile appeared on Asher's face as Arrane complimented her. A humorous grin melted onto his maw, brightening up his face. As the sun continued rising into the horizon, the colors became even more vibrant; purples melding into pinks, sky blue mixing with yellow. It was quite a sight. Pricking up his ears, he glanced with curious eyes when she started speaking. Did she...not remember her family, or where she came from? Pity was present in his gaze, and flicking his tail he offered a sympathetic smile. Not knowing what to say, he only uttered a few words, even though he wanted to comfort her to his best abilities.

"Oh. I'm...so very sorry", his silky voice was pained for her. He felt terrible that he brought that up. Not everyone has a happy history, dimwad! Emotion wasn't present when she said that, but as she explained everything to him, he gently prodded her with his snout, a comforting gesture. "It's okay, and it really stinks that you can't remember...", he paused and decided to apologize for his intrusive questions. "I'm apologize for asking such prying questions", silence followed as she snorted with irritation at a simple leaf. A chuckle pursued after he action as humor shone in his eyes.

"So I guess you don't like leaves?" Vocals were teasing, as the stallion's face was a lit with mischievousness. With one fluid action, as they were walking past the tree, he swatted it with his tail.

Unregistered
“No there’s absolutely no need to apologize. You didn’t know,” Asher said genuinely. Accepting his apology she glanced again at the vibrant colors of the sunrise. The mare soaked in the heat of the beautiful beams of light as they flickered across her dark coat. She then turned to Arrane and laughed at his next words. “I assure you that I like leaves as long as they don’t bother me. Acorns on the other hand… I can’t stand them,” she teased, glancing at the stallion before returning her gaze towards the sunrise that was slowly settling into a stunning blue.

She studied her feet for a while but wanting to carry on the conversation she asked”, So what about you? Have you always been in the foothills? ” Asher looked up from her muddy hooves and set them on the horizon, feeling rude just staring at the stallion for no apparent reason. She knew that she probably looked a mess, given the fact that she never exactly paid attention to her physical appearance. The mare lowered her head in exhaustion. Never had she walked so far for so long. Even so she just shook the tiredness away. The thoroughbred blood coursing through her veins had created a fast, strong horse filled with stamina.

“How much further do we have to travel?” Asher questioned, carefully stepping over a dry rotted log covered in lush green moss and filled with unusual bugs. All four feet passed with ease as she waited for Arrane’s response.

Hidden Account
Orinthia
A kind sound entered Asher's voice, and the lad felt relieved after feeling guilty for asking such questions. It was true, he had no need to pry into the lives of others--but he just felt the will to speak and get to know future herd mates better. "Ha! And you know the worst about the acorns, is the stupid squirrels that have a knack for throwing them at your head", the easy going fellow felt even more laid back around Asher. At first wary of him, she was now opening up some more, and it felt easier to speak to the thoroughbred.

He saw her neck bend down to gaze at her mud caked hooves. Unfortunately, due to approaching storms, he was somewhat in the same condition with little mud flecks here and there on his fetlock. "No. I recently joined the Foothills not long ago", with a forlorn smile, he wondered if he should continue, choosing yes as the answer to go on.

"I was born in a faraway land with siblings whom I loved dearly. My parents were military figures in our herd, so we moved away from the beach where we resided, to hot fields where I was brought up to be the next general. That life didn't suit me. I left my family, even though it tore me up internally, and came here to seek a life I prefer more", his intentions were never clear, but there was never a day where he didn't miss his sisters. "I came from the far southeast", speaking again, he remembered where Asher came from the South.

"I believe we're almost there. Now it is time to meet our leader, that is if he comes. I could call him if he doesn't appear, but our borders are up ahead", he said. After such a painstakingly long walk, the scent of the Foothills border wafted to him. Standing there, he let out a nicker, hoping that Apollo would appear to welcome Asher. There was no one who could make anyone feel more at home than the Chief.

Unregistered
Asher laughed at Arrane’s response. “The real question is who’s in charge, the acorns or the squirrels?” the black mare chuckled, letting her sense of humor get the best of her. She felt more at ease with the stallion now that she trusts him. The mare obviously was in a pretty good mood otherwise she wouldn’t be joking and laughing.

Asher was happy to hear that it is not rare to have newcomer to the heard or at least she is not the only one. The mare also found it interesting that the stallion too came from the south. Listening to Arrane’s story she realized that in some ways it was easier to not remember where she came from and who she loved. That way it would be easier to leave everything she cared about behind.

The mare nodded her head in understanding. ‘What if the leader does not allow me to join the heard?’ Asher thought worriedly to herself. What little she’s heard of the stallion tells her that he is not mean or spiteful but she still couldn’t help but let the thought slip through her mind. She stopped as Arrane did, instant relief spread through her sturdy legs. She let out a sigh of relief and slowly lowered her head in exhaustion. Then the mare closed her eyes for just a moment before the earth rattling nicker of Arrane filled the air. Opening her beautiful eyes again she swished her tail lazily side to side.

(Sorry I haven’t posted in a while, I’ve been really busy.)