the Rift

[OPEN] BORN OF THE NIGHT

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Terror is an interesting emotion. Sometimes it springs itself on you with no warning: one moment, you're studying the Earth God's shrine, contemplating the meaning of life the worth of those that inhabit the world, and the next you are running, fleeing from who knows what, your heart pounding and your mouth too dry and the darkness closing in on you. But sometimes fear creeps up on you, slowly calling your nerves to attention, stroking its deadly finger up your spine and sending shivers to your hooves. Sometimes it begins as paranoia - is that a snake hiding behind that rock? Is that a ghost coming out from behind the shrine? Is that a giant dragon, aiming to cook you and swallow you whole? And you begin to walk, and then you trot, and then you run, and you don't really know why.

All you know is that you are afraid.

The latter is the way that this terror arrives. You are standing before the temple of your favorite god. Surely you believe that here, in the place of deities, you are safe - but you are wrong. Something flickers in the corner of your eye, but you can't quite catch it. A wicked cackle from the shadows makes you shudder, but you ignore it, unsure if it is real or if it is only a figment of your imagination. Some of you break easier than the others, and with a clap of thunder and a flash of lightning that is swallowed by the blackness creeping up on you, you are sent scurrying for home, fear swamping every sense. But some of you are brave or stupid or both, and you stand your ground. You feel the fear, but will you give in?

You should.

THIS BOARD WILL CLOSE on January 3rd, 1 week from now.
All threads should either finish using this plot or you can request for them to be moved here!

Welcome to Helovia's Darkest Hour.

*Make sure to stop making new threads and pay attention. Consequences will not be good!

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
(Quick continuation from this thread.

Gaucho nodded, turning on his well-muscled haunches to face south. For a moment, he almost forgot his companion was ground-bound, as he calculated the amount of time it would take to reach the Veins. He had never actually walked there before, but he knew from his aerial mind-maps, that it was just south through the Meadow. Once again his stormy gaze surveyed the white dun, lingering on the muscles of her chest and legs. A dark grin parted Gaucho's black lips, as he nodded approvingly. "We go. It not take long."

As the pair moved, Gaucho spoke relatively easily with the unicorn. He wasn't much of a talker on a good day, but he found something about her presence - some similarity to his own mind - that he found comforting (if indeed a beast like Gaucho could be comforted in any meaningful way). He spoke briefly about the other God's that resided in the land, even admitting that he had met the daughter of the Sun God (although unknowingly he also knew of the daughter of the Spark God, as well). He also mentioned - rather nonchalantly - that he was the Sultan of the Dragon's Throat, while describing the Invasion that had occurred against both the Throat and the Edge only a few seasons before. Just as he was about to describe the events that led up to Mauja's almost-capture, he stopped dead in his tracks.

The green grass of the Meadow had given away to the rocky terrain that marked the Veins, but something was very wrong. Gaucho can feel this wrongness in his bones, manifesting as a ... cold sort of watery feeling, one that he rarely comes into contact with: Fear. His dark nostrils flared, causing the bone piercing them to dance. Dark ears pinned against his skull for a moment, before cocking forward towards the sound of evil laughter. He could see the shrines ahead, but there was something very real and very strong in his bones advising him to leave.

"Something wrong." He advised, turning his steely gaze to the white dun - scrutinizing her to see if she felt the same as he. In his antlers, Mara hissed uneasily, weaving back and forth as if trying to pull his head to the side to force him to turn around. Go bacckkkkkkk She cringed in his mind, her black eyes wide and scouring the deserted shrines for enemies.

@[Nyx] -- since the board is closing, I thought we could just wrap up here. But this way both of them know that something is happened :3

Gaucho
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
@[Gaucho]

She followed him like a loyal dog at her master's heels. To say he had sold her on the Sun God would be an understatement, and she was practically drooling with anticipation about meeting this fabled deity. She hung on every word he said as he told her of his meetings with the Gods, and of his position as a leader of one of the other herds here - a Sultan was the word he used, which Nyx assumed was just fancy talk for 'big boss man'. She also listened hungrily for any tibits of information about the invasion, which she had heard rumours about but still nothing solid enough to form an overall opinion about. Before she knew it, their journey was nearing its and and they were reaching the familiar landscape of the Veins.

But there was something...different this time. The moment she stepped from the grass to the rock, she felt a shudder rocket through her entire body, as though a spirit had just stepped over her grave. Her eyes rolled in her head and her ears were plastered to her skull, one hoof stomping fearfully at the ground as she tried to pinpoint the source of the sensation. Gaucho spoke, and the stormy woman managed a rough jerk of her head in agreement. "It feels like...we should run like hell in the other direction," she said. A flighty animal at the best of times, Nyx's hooves were almost twitching in their eagerness to carry her as far away from this place as possible. Her teeth itched and her skin tingled, every sense in her body telling her to go, now. "I take it this isn't the Sun God's doing?" she asked, knowing the answer practically before she had spoken. She had never met the god before, but she somehow knew that these sensations weren't born of heaven - they were coming from a good way south of that.

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

TANDAVI & NATRAJ</style>
we walked a lonely road
beneath the fire of a thousand suns
</style>

Natraj is sitting on the Moon God's shrine, drowsy and content on a orangemoon day. They have spent some time here, his sister and he, in the warmth of the Gods which holds them closer than their mother ever has. The small boy purrs, his eyes gold slits, and he lazily watches his sister's slow pace. Something is bothering her, but he cannot be bothered to investigate; he is sleepy, and weary, and tired of her pubescent neuroticism. While Tandavi worries Natraj's mind is a lull; and while on another day the fox would have the right of it, today there is truth in the filly's unease.

The shadows that rise above the Veins speak of sinful sentience and decadent decay. They play soft strains in the girl's mind, a mournful violin, the lone haunting note of an oboe. Tandavi's anxiety mounts with the coming storm, a building pressure behind her eyes that shoves sharp spines into her skull, irritating and instigating and infuriating and loud. She shakes her head and her heavy mane bounces, cascading braids lank against the copper neck; her tail tweaks uneasily, her hooves tear at the ground. At last Natraj looks up from his perch, but by the time he takes notice it is too late: the terror has arrived, and all the firechildren can do is watch as something unseen takes the Veins.

"Raj?"

Tavi!

Thunder propels them towards each other, and the pair collide at the Sun Lord's shrine. They do not know where the night came from, but it is not a pleasant one; the storm that rages reeks of malice. A flash of light breaks the sudden dark, and in its glow they can hear a laugh and see a form, large and dark and lumbering ahead, followed by one smaller and equally grotesque. The strangers howl something they cannot make out, and as Natraj pulls close the girl stands strong, her head held high in a show of brash youth. "Hey!" she cries to the creatures she does not know are just as trapped as she, "You better come out or I'll... I'll... I'll light this whole place ablaze to see you!" The magic of Lace bubbles under her skin, and in the space between them a tiny sun begins to form, casting no light in this unnatural dark, a small comfort to the children who want only to keep each other safe in the chaos.

[ so I didn't really know how magic/light/weather/everything was working for this. Let me know if I need to change something ]

credit | credit

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

"Gaucho no run" The dun replied without emotion. There was no masculine coyness in his voice - not attempt to appear brave to simply impress her. The truth was, a creature like Gaucho would walk straight into his own death knowingly, before turning and running. But there was something else...an itch, seemingly under his skin. The desire to run didn't hold any taint of cowardice it simply seemed like a good idea, the way drinking from a clear stream seems like a good idea on a hot day. Gaucho shook his antlered skull, stormy gaze shutting for a moment as he tried to sort out what was instinct, and what was fear.

He shook his head with regards to her query, paying little attention to its rhetorical nature, for such social customs were lost on the beast. "Sun God...." Gaucho paused, his eyes drifting upwards towards Mara, seeking her aid with vocabulary. He knew the general impression of what he wanted to communicate, but found he had come up barren when trying to find the word on his own. "- he proud. If this his doing, you would see him. He no hide. This..." Again he trailed off, but not out of a lack of words, but out of a lack of understanding. "...this not him. Maybe Spark..but..." Shrugging, he cast his gaze upwards where lightning thrashed through the clouds.

From somewhere ahead, he heard what sounded like a small voice - a youthful voice. Although he couldn't quite make out the words, they certainly didn't sound as though they came from a supernatural origin. "Who there?" Gaucho bellowed through the haze, striding forward a few steps even though every vein and fibre of his being urged him to do just as Nyx had said, to turn and run like hell.

Gaucho
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
The uneasy feeling increased, and Nyx's tail lashed against her quarters as though swatting a fly. Gaucho vowed he wouldn't run, and the silver woman fixed him with a raised eyebrow. "Running won't taint your manliness, you know," she said, naturally assuming that his strong words were in order to not appear weak in front of one of the fairer sex. She was almost shivering now, and had to plant her hooves deeper into the rock below to prevent them dragging her away of their own accord. She had been scared before, but nothing like this - this was primal terror, a knowledge that something very, very bad would happen if she didn't flee. The stallion seemed convinced that this was not the doing of his precious Sun God, and Nyx believed him. After all, it would be rather counterproductive for a god who sought worshippers to instil such a fear in them that they wanted to flee from his altar.

She followed his gaze upwards, noting the lightning for the first time. Her expression turned hungry, as it always did when confronted with a storm, yet she couldn't dance in the glory of this one, because the feeling was still there. Gaucho mentioned the Spark God, and the iron woman knew he was likely the god who could grant her the storms she so adored, but if he created this terror in his wake then she wasn't sure she wanted anything to do with him. Before she could question Gaucho further, she heard a voice against the backdrop of murky darkness; instantly she was on her guard, head tucking into her chest so she could brandish her obsidian sword forwards. She followed Gaucho as he took a step forwards, her head remaining low so her finest weapon would be in prime position to defend the rest of her body from attack. She utilised her binocular vision to scan to each side like a cornered wolf, one hoof pawing as she prepared to fight. The voice didn't sound threatening, but Nyx did not trust anything not to hurt her and Gaucho - this was a land of shadows and death, and her desire to leave was growing stronger by the second. She said nothing, trusting the owner of the voice would answer the antlered man's question; she focused fully on honing her senses towards every sound in preparation to either fight to her death or escape with her life.

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
come and watch over me like the pale moonlight

The goddess was disappearing, and it seemed as though Res's pleas were falling on deaf ears. Did it matter? Something sinister seemed to be brewing. That something was far sinister than the anger that had been hidden behind steel eyes. It was causing a real fear to crawl through the mare's spine. One that echoed what it had been like in the Sanctuary, with that monster who had forced her and Kahlua to relive or experience their worst fears. The flashes of the bodies forced to bend in manners which were completely unnatural. The blood that coated the ground. It was enough to have the mare fall mute, to fall back.

But what was causing this? The stag was not there. The wind which had been comforting at one point seemed to dig into her skin, as if it were trying to freeze her. A shudder ran down her spine just as she heard some laugh come from the darkness that was surrounding her. Thunder. Lightning. She is scurrying backwards. "I'll leave the Edge! I'll do whatever you need. Just... give me time..." She called to the figure that had seemed to have disappeared completely. Res is turning tail, and running. Her mind swamped with the images of death - so afraid once more that she cannot form anymore syllables as she gallops back to the North, back to the Edge, back to her home. If the Darkness was spreading from the Marsh, as Quil had said he had seen not that long ago, it wouldn't be long till it came for her home, would it?. At least, that was all she could guess, for it it was willing to come and attack on a sacred place such as this it couldn't have been from the Gods. She had to warn them, that such a threat was spreading - that they were going to have to find some other place of safety. And, in the process the Goddess's quest would be completed, she would be able to heal all those she cared for while trying to save them from whatever horror was coming.

It was time they knew, and she would find the courage to work past her fear to tell them. She would... she would try and be strong.

Continuation and closing from !! Canvas - so don't worry about moving/continuing it Tammeface ;3

When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

I thought my dad was watching me.

There, I said it. That’s what was running through my head when I up and bolted away from that poor, annoying little girl, my hair standing on end and my eyes these wild things full of terror and the last remnants of the shit I had eaten around the tree roots. I think that’s what made it so surreal—the crap running through my veins made everything pop out in weird and grotesque fashions, making the blue fires turn into sapphire beasts from hell, the wings on that girl eating my dust fluffy little harbingers of doom the clouded darkness billowing closer the shadow of my father as he chased me, teeth snapping, ears pinned, pissed as all get-out over my poor conduct. Which, I guess, he had every right to be, but it still scared the ever-living crap out of me regardless.

It didn’t take that much imagination to believe my dad was the big shadow thingamajig. For one thing, the lightening. That was happening. And whether or not it was magic based or just a part of the worldly phenomenon I still didn’t really understand, I reacted to it, and with every 12th stride or so a zap!ed myself a little further forward, a ball of spark and nervous, harrowing energy trying to get the hell out of Dodge ‘cause it was coming. It was coming.

“HEY,” I suddenly called, because, as luck would have it, the path was blocked off by a bunch of yahoos gobbling together like a flock of turkeys, “GET OUT THE WAY, BITCH! I couldn’t even tell you who I was talking to; all I knew was that they were blocking the way to my own hasty, inelegant freedom, and I was already heated with all sorts of emotions I wasn’t handling very well.

It didn’t matter if they moved or not—because as I came close, I zap!ed my ass and reappeared on the other side of their little pow-wow without breaking stride. At that point all thought of the gaggle of buddies I was leaving behind ceased to exist, totally forgotten as I continued to high-tail it out of there. Was it cowardice that made me run? Was it guilt, fear (hah), shame that made me run so fast, so hard, so furiously away from an entity I thought was my own father? I can’t tell you, and I wouldn’t care to tell you even if I knew. The point was that I needed to get out of there—so I did.

Don’t do drugs, kids.

[Continuation of THIS thread. Ros ain't gonna get her ass ate up in here.]

Roskuld</style>