the Rift

[OPEN] castle of glass

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
OOC: For Nato and Lace, but anybody's welcome <33

It had been a long and arduous journey from the Threshold, but luckily they had a fine guide in the form of Lace and his dragon. Finally they came upon the lands which were to be their home, and Nyx was suitably awed; it was stunning, the trees drawing her like a moth to a flame. She could scarcely wait to be amongst them, but knew it was only good manners to wait at the borders, in case the leaders did not approve of newcomers just flouncing in. It was this thought that made Nyx resist the urge to canter forwards like a spring filly, and if she had then she would likely have caused herself a painful injury via running into the glass wall that surrounded the place. As it was, she approached at a sedate walk, and her impact with the bizarre wall was only a gentle one - albeit enough to cause an "Ooooof!" to escape her jaws.

Baffled, the mare prodded forwards with her horn, feeling it connect with an almost-invisible wall of nothingness. With an expression of utter bewilderment on her face, she lifted a hoof to paw at the solid mass, trying to ascertain what exactly it was. It was witchcraft, surely; there could be no other explanation for it. It was neither stone nor wood, neither water nor air; if she had to guess, she would say it was ice, but it was even more ethereal and false than that. Perhaps it was a spell, a ward created to keep out intruders. "how queer," muttered the silver woman, tentatively leaning her muzzle forwards to sniff at the odd substance, her ears flattened in displeasure. It seemed she had no choice but to stand here stupidly and hope Lace or somebody else would reveal the trick to actually getting into this holy grail of a land, and with a resigned sigh the mare took a step back, tail swishing as she waited.

Nato Posts: 84
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: 13 Buff: NOVICE
Candy

The shadow knight moved through the Threshold with ease. The landscape was truly beautiful, the aroma of smells that rushed with the winds were refreshing. The salt of the sea, mixing with the forest oak and pine.. it was a reminder of home. It had taken him years to find paradise, a place to relax, rest and rebuild his strength. Muscles ripple under his massive frame, lobes erect and alert; listening for any dangers that could come running up the hill. Swirled weapon remained armed, should danger appear on the horizon.

Marching upon the hill, crimson orbs rested upon the form of his daughter. She was standing a little perplexed gazing into something with great interest. Moving from the shadows of the pine, he emerged with thunderous hooves pushing against the earth. A deep wicker erupted; "Beautiful is it not?" He questioned the obvious, as he moved past her and was met with a most unwelcome thud. Retracting his head in a half rear, he landed back upon the earth; stunned. "What witchery is this?" He now knew why she had been standing still- she must have hit the same.. thing. Weapon of twisted iron poked at the glass, the stag shifting his weight and dragging it along the barrier of clear stone. "Extraordinary defenses." He mumbled, as he stopped and looked back to his daughter, just as confused as she was. All his years, and he's never seen anything like this.

Welcome to Worlds Edge, hope you enjoyed our bubble.

[ooc: /Edit/ I'm back now :3]

OOC: Table change because WHY NOT :D Lace is still free to pop in whenever I just figured I may as well post again <3

Her sense of confusion continued as she probed the solid mass with her horn, half-hoping to crack it but meeting with no success. She turned at the sight of her father, and was somewhat relieved to see him looking just as baffled as she. "i have no idea what it is, but i've never seen anything like it." Again she sniffed at the strange substance, but could detect no scent on it to declare what it was. She pressed her shoulder against it and walked a few steps, hoping to feel the resistance lessen to indicate a gap, but again was unsuccessful. Exasperated, she moved back to her father, looking up at him for advice and guidance as she always did. "i suppose we have no choice but to wait here for somebody to show us how to get in," she said with a resigned sigh. Hopefully Lace and his dragon would appear soon, else Nyx and Nato would be left standing stupidly outside the glass wall for however long it took for them to be greeted.

She stole a sidelong glance at her sire, fidgeting with a hoof on the ground. They were alone for the first time in over five years, and Nyx's intense curiosity was driving her to ask how he was, where he had been all this time, yet she was nervous of overstepping the tentative bond they had begun to rebuild. Still, she reminded herself, when had she ever been the sort to think before she spoke? "so...how are you? what've you been up to these long years?" She tilted her head at him, ebony horn dipping as she looked at him with questions in her gaze. She was painfully eager to find out what his life had been like since their last meeting - and, of course, find out if he had any contact with her mother.

Hidden Account
Candy

Glancing through the crystal like substance, the obsidian phantom observed the landscapes beauty. The rolling hills, littered with pine forests before backing up to the cliffs by the ocean. He breathed deep, the crisp pine filled air; in thought of how they could smell heaven- but they just couldn’t get a taste. Crimson pools shifted away from the lands and back to his daughter as she spoke briefly on how she’s never encountered such an element before. It was true; the stallion as well had never seen magic such as this. There was a way in, just no telling how. Audits of black pinned against his skull as he turned to inspect it again. Iron spiral prodding against its surface, making a rather horrid scratching sound. Slightly agitated the brute released a rumbling snort as he paced along its barrier. And if – but for a moment – he wondered if that equine stallion of his past; Lace- had tricked them into this place. Shaking his head, he dismissed the thought of his ironic hatred for equines and met his daughter’s curious gaze. Though she was probably right in waiting about for someone to lead the way, he had the hunch if they prodded around long enough they would find a way through the barrier of witchcraft.

Bobbing his head slightly to her comment, he turned and gazed back to the lands they now would call home. Such a chilling reminder of the Woodlands; a thought he was doing his best forget. So.. Words of a dove broke the silence, as blood filled pools returned to his daughters own lightning filled eyes. The question he knew was coming, but wasn’t quite prepared for. How would he tell her that he had gone every year in search of his family; fighting wars along the way? Almost ashamed, he took a single step back with his right leg, and lowered his crown slightly, lazing his ears to the side and then back. The cool breeze rippling through his marble tresses as he brought his once hollow crimson eyes from the earth floor and casted a gaze to his daughter that was almost apologetic, empathy laced with respect. There was no smile, there was no laugh. How was he, what had he done? There would be things he would probably never speak of again, the names of those who perished under his weapon, those who surely wait in hell for his arrival. "I’m Alright." He breathed a lie, his words masculine and soft. "Life has not been easy these last few years." He said almost coldly, but not to her. His last statement was very true; life was nothing but a horrible damnation to even be breathing anymore since the separation from his family. Though now that Nyx was here, there was a glimmer of hope.

"It was never fun knowing that no matter how hard you fought to survive one day- you would have to do it again the next. And with each sunset, you knew the sunrise was going to bring war, pain and death." The knights voice rumbled, as he turned away and looked back to the Edge, for the first time in many years he had felt a sadness; the loneliness of his years caught up to him. Though he would not cry. "When I lost your mother-“ He paused, closing his eyes and arching his chin to his chest. ”... you and Dexter." A sigh escaped his lips, shaking his head in the slightest motion, before looking back to his daughter. He had thought they were gone, lost in the blackness- left in the quakes of the dying world. He knew now, he would never see his lightning queen again; but she lived through Nyx’s eyes. ”I thought you were dead… I had to live every waking moment of my life for five years, damning myself for not being there... for not dying myself." His words seemed to trail off into silence, as he looked at her. Although his face was emotionless, his heart was bleeding, as were his eyes. He stepped closer to his daughter; his image would flow through her veins for years to come. This seemed all too good to be true- to find her here, alive in a place where perhaps war never rages like it did before.

"What of you, Daughter? I hope these years have treated you far better than they have me. When was the last you saw of your Mother.. of Dexter?“ He inquired, his stomach turning to what reply he might get from his question. It was to the point now where he missed his younger days, where all this mushy shit didn't get to him so much.. getting older sucked.

Her father looked lost in his thoughts, and she was loathe to disturb him. His expression, his entire demeanour, told the girl that he was unwilling to share with her what had happened since their last meeting. She lifted a hoof anxiously, pawing at the ground as her ears spun atop her head, seeking his response yet at the same time fearing it. "life's never easy," she said, her voice barely higher than a whisper. He spoke of war, of the endless fight to survive, and Nyx felt a stab of sympathy for his plight. The grey mare herself had never known her brother, had never been close to her mother, and had thus been able to cut all ties to her family without a backwards glance. Indeed the only member of her bloodline who she had ever felt close to was Nato himself, and she had left safe in the knowledge that he had Querida and Dexter to keep him company. But for Nato to have lost everybody he loved and not know if they were alive or dead...it must have been horrific. And the guilt, thinking that he had caused it...the dove lowered her head in shame, hating herself for leaving him without thinking. "i'm sorry," she said meekly, having learnt from her mother that 'sorry' was a magic word to make the pain stop.

He moved closer to her and tentatively she reciprocated, her muzzle reaching out in an attempt to touch his neck in a gesture of affection and heartfelt apology. She had been selfish to flee like a coward the moment she grew too tired of her mother's treatment; a true warrior would have stood tall against the abuse, ignored it and bettered herself. Instead she had abandoned her family and condemned her father to five years of guilt, a crime she could never forgive herself for. "i shouldn't have left. i was...weak, and thought that you would be better suited to just having dexter, a strong son." He had been but a newborn colt when Nyx had left, and she had already seen an expression in her mother's eyes that had never been there when looking upon Nyx herself - love. Dexter had been strong, untainted by blindness, destined to grow up into a powerful stallion - a child for Querida and Nato to truly be proud of.

Nato returned her own question to her, and the silver woman was silent for a moment as she mulled over how to respond. "the last i saw of them, dexter was only a few weeks old and you both seemed so...happy with him. he was the child you deserved, and so i left, hoping to better myself and return one day when i was stronger. alas, before i could, isilme was destroyed, and i have not seen my mother or brother since then." Had they died in the awe-inspiring natural disasters created by the war between the Original foals? Nyx had watched from a distance, felt the ground rumble as Isilme was torn apart. "after that, when i turned two, i found a herd to run with. it was a simple life - we fought the occasional war, but it was nothing like isilme. it was almost peaceful, and the only duty i had was to bear a child to the reigning stallion whenever i was able. you're a grandfather now, i'm afraid." She flashed him a playful grin, praying he wouldn't take offence again to this vague mention of his age. For all Nyx knew, her own foals could have been parents by now; she could well be a grandmother, and Nato a great-grandfather, without even knowing it. "a few months back, the leading stallion died without a replacement, and our herd disbanded. i found my way here and...well, you know the rest." She fell silent, her cold blue eyes fixed on her sire's crimson ones, awaiting his reaction to her tale. He hoped he would not think her a failure for enjoying the years of peace since the fall of Isilme; she could fight, but was not a warrior by design. Most of her fights had come in self-defence or to protect her foals, and only a handful had been slain by her sword - these had almost all been accidents, and had left her feeling guilty and wicked.

Hidden Account
Candy

It wasn’t easy, to stand there and spill his emotions to someone who looked up to him. It was even harder, to hold back the emotion of loss, emptiness. In his youth, he could have left anyone and never thought twice. But after Querida came into his life, it shattered all his defenses. He was a trained killing machine, a warrior; but once he became a father- he changed. He was still fierce and dangerous- but had a more gentle approach to his children. Lobes pivoted upon his head as he watched his daughter, life’s never easy she said, and he refrained from a chuckle, and snorted roughly in agreement. Her life had just started; she was in her prime. Her following words intrigued him, as she apologized. Obsidian crown cocked to the side in question as lobes perked in attention on her- his muzzle extending to her cheek as she reached out to him. She was his blood- there wasn’t much she could have done to turn him away from her. As she spoke, a frown of disagreement crossed his lips to her statement about leaving home. "You were young; no Daughter of mine is weak. " He encouraged her, nudging at her lobe before pulling away and looking over her facial expressions. The way she spoke of Dexter, almost just made her seem inferior to his being his son. Nato felt a hint of guilt to her statement, as he was overjoyed to shire a son; to build a warrior. But not all children follow in their parents footprints.

Elevating his weapon to the sky, audits pointed in attention as he just listened. Her words cut his soul, as she hinted around about leaving because she didn’t feel the love like she saw given to Dexter. The beast swallowed hard, and tucked his chin to his chest in thought; as she continued. He was pleased to hear, that she had found a safe haven to live, but his stomach tightened when she mentioned Querida. Any other stallion would have moved on, but for some reason the guilt of him not being there to protect them just ate at his soul. He lifted his head slowly, returning his gaze upon his daughter, proudly. She had birthed children, how wonderful! Although, the right of being a grandfather wasn’t as nice as he thought it could be. He returned the smirk followed by a deep chuckle and a shake of his head. His daughter had become a lovely lady; though she lacked her mother’s violent traits. He was still proud; and very grateful to be reunited with her.

"I’m glad you found shelter, and had offspring of your own. " He paused, looking to the sky as it seemed to dim with the sun setting behind the cliffs. "Don’t ever think, that you were not what I deserved." He breathed, looking back down to Nyx. "I know your mother was hard on you- she was very… different." He sighed, almost letting a smile slip on his lips at the thought of her. "There is much to learn about your heritage yet; you come from a line of warriors- she expected you to be so, regretfully, so did I." Poll lowered, audits slicking back slowly, as he looked to her. "But the years have taught me many things; you took your life into your own destiny, when you left home… that saved you" He finished, almost quietly. Had she not left, she would probably have been lost to the darkness. His life was just being a warrior, he was used to pain, death, darkness and being bullied. The black warrior was no saint, far from it. He was unsure of how his daughter would react if he was to have a conversation with someone else he didn't care for. He was a demon, he was stained in evil; all these years there is no changing that. But would she accept it once she knew? He sighed and turned to look back into their new home; this wall of glass still keeping them from fresh food- water.

"Walk with me?" He said, turning his body to the right, swinging his haunches toward her, he stood glancing back to her. There has got to be a way through this wall; and they were going to find it together. Hooves shifted lightly in the grasses below, as the air brushes through his mane like a fine tooth comb. He was trying to break the ice to her; that he was a cold blooded killer. For now however, he’d keep his mouth shut on the matter.. and just enjoy the steady conversation. "There’s got to be an entry through this somewhere." He muttered as he marched on, gazing to the crystal element- looking for cracks, nooks, hoping to find something before nightfall. "Soo.. How many grand-kids do I have running around so far?" He chuckled aloud, gazing upon her as he continued his search.

[ooc: Sorry, crappy post :3]

Lost in her own thoughts, her own guilt, Nyx almost missed his first words; she did not, however, miss his touch to her cheek and ear, and whickered gently in response. "i've tried to change over the years. man up, so to speak." She chuckled; she was no man, that was for sure, but she had spent a large portion of her time acting like one. A lot of the other mares had never fought, only lashing out with their hooves with no precision or technique; Nyx had done her best to train herself, to perfect her knowledge of where to hit and how to hurt, utilising all the lessons her mother had given her (or rather, forced on her) during her youth. She had warrior's blood in her veins, after all, and with parents like hers, it would have been unheard of for her to become a pacifist. Her body had filled out over the years, too. She had been a late bloomer, remaining small and weedy, stunted, until well into her fourth and fifth years. Now, at seven, she finally had the build of a mare in her prime, with a muscled neck and thick hindquarters. Ironically, she was of the correct shape and disposition now to make her mother proud, but Querida was long gone, perhaps dead.

He spoke of his pleasure in Nyx finding a safe haven and children. The iron girl had lead a peaceful, blessed existence, as though the universe was making up for her painful first few months of life. "oh, she was certainly different," said the mare with a wry smile. "i just always had the feeling that i wasn't enough for her, that i was a failure in her eyes. when i was born blind, i think she thought it was a reflection on her, as though it was a sign of weakness in her that she could not mother a healthy child. when dexter arrived, so strong and perfect, i think she thought all her birthdays had come at once." Her mother had been a selfish, cruel woman in many ways, and had had an eye for perfection. She had chosen the strongest man she could find to father her children, yet Nyx had still come out wrong. "i would love you to teach me more of my heritage sometime, father." She knew nothing of his parents, or even his life before Isilme; there was so much she didn't know about the man who made her. She nodded numbly as he mentioned that her leaving of Isilme had likely saved her; he had a point. She had seen the destruction the final war had caused, and did not have faith that she would have survived it.

He asked her to walk with him, and the mare obligingly followed. She was keen to discover a way through the glass wall and into the safety of the herd beyond, as she felt exposed here, with a wide open space behind her and the peculiar barricade blocking her escape route in front of her. She pranced before him, pressing her shoulder into the wall at intervals in the hope of discovering a gap. "maybe one of the residents has to command it to move?" Magic was usually tied to one individual, like her storm magic had been created by her, and only she could stop the storms she made. As she wandered, still seeking entry, her sire asked her of the children she had mothered. "five in total. my sons were chased away as soon as they reached manhood, but my daughters remained with me all their lives. it was wonderful to see them grow - one or two of them had your eyes." She beamed at him - depending on their sire, some of her children had gained Nato's queer eye colour, the genetics of which must be laying dormant in Nyx's makeup. "and what of you, father? have you taken any other mares since my mother?" She assumed the answer was yes; he was a handsome man, after all, and stallions did have their needs.

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

He hadn't intended to leave them on their own for long. Once the forests had appeared on the horizon Lace had excused himself and hurried ahead to warn the patrols of approaching unicorns, to try and find Mirage and let her know who he had invited to stay, knowing that his new charges would be able to find the way to the wall.

That he would be held up in a discussion on a matter that really was for the ears of the WingLeaders wasn't something he had expected, and as much as he had tried to hurry too much time had been spent on trivial matters when he finally was able to tear himself loose. Lace was slightly winded when he finally appeared before the father and daughter, and as he slowed down and approached them at a brisk walk the sigh he breathed had a definite sound of relief to it.

"There you are, sorry for making you wait. I got held up, apparently the new recruits don't know who to turn to yet.." a slight frown creased the soft skin around the eyes as he thought about it, wondering what the hell Destrier and Kaj was doing. While he had been scarce for the better part of the summer and just recently returned to the forest, it seemed inexcusable to leave the soldiers without enough information. He would have to talk to them soon, hear what plans they had now that the wall was in place and security was less of an issue...

"Come, the entrance is this way" he said with a toss of the head and turned, falling in on the other side of Nato as he guided the unicorns on, eventually turning right around a sudden corner in the wall. Walking through the gap, he stepped aside once on the other side of the thick barricade and came to a halt, smiling as he watched the newcomers; it was always a pleasure seeing the reactions to the mist-veiled forest that stretched on endlessly before them.

It was a sight to behold indeed. The thick canopy was dense and only allowed trickles of light to escape towards the ground; it pressed against the face of the wall in a thick mass, effectively shielding them from the heat of the sun. The warmth in the shaded woods was a different one; thick and moist it embraced them, inhaled for each breath and leaving a salty taste on the tongue that whispered of nearby ocean waves pounding against barren cliffs. If one listened hard enough on days when the wind swooped in from the east they could be heard throughout the region - but today only the chirp of birds and chatter of unseen animals could be heard, and the murmur of a nearby creek running along, half covered by moss. Even now the mists lay thick in the air, lingering like they always did a foot from the ground; it swirled and danced as Lace shifted the hooves restlessly, eager to lead the guests furthering in.

"Welcome to the World's Edge" he said softly, the arch of the neck as proud as though he was showing off a beloved child.

Dim vales- and shadowy floods-
And cloudy-looking woods,
Whose forms we can't discover
For the tears that drip all over!
Huge moons there wax and wane-
Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Hidden Account
Candy

The talk they were having, was grand and depressing all the same. He was no longer the young stallion he used to be, and over the years that has started to show more and more. He listened to his daughter, as she did to him. Walking along side her proudly, as he looked at the barrier in question. It was brilliant; to have a wall of sorts built around their home. He was willing to be this place never got invaded by anything; hell bees would have a hard time getting through. As Nyx responded to his question, he cocked his head to the side with wide eyes. Someone had been a very busy momma. He shook his head with a grin, as he looked at her. Beautiful mare; he was sure stallions would be throwing themselves at her hooves just begging for some attention. Just the thought of that irritated Nato some, he was unsure how he would react to some petty stallion trying to get into his daughters love life. All he knew, is he better not see it in action- the stallion would have some explaining to do.

"Someone’s been a busy girl." He laughed aloud as he looked over to her. His smile faded quickly however when she mentioned him taking another mare since her mother’s absence. Lobes flattened and turned to the side at the sound of thundering hooves; before he could answer another was coming and rather quickly. Snorting roughly, and standing tall at his daughters side he turned to face the in coming stallion. Breathing a soft sigh, he was rather happy it was just Lace finally catching up with them. Gently bobbing his head to his apology Nato carried forth toward the winded leader, and followed his command to find the entrance. Muzzle gently nudged into Nyx’s shoulder, as he paused for a moment watching lace walk through a small opening in the wall.

Dumbfounded for a moment, cranium cocked to the side, audits perked with caution as he shifted his weight and pulled through the opening; crimson eyes gazing in all directions as the view became much clearer. It was a wonderful place, the sounds of wildlife flooded his ears as the refreshing breeze brushed over his coat and twisted through his marble pendulum. Turning to look at Lace as he offered his welcome and introduction to his home; their new home; he grinned. "My thanks to you Lace- for sharing this beautiful home." He shifted his weight, and turned to look back at the wall. "But.. could you explain your extraordinary defenses?" He inquired, looking to his daughter for a moment, then back to Lace in wonder. He was honestly grateful that now within these walls, they were safe. And they didn't have to worry about being attacked, hunted and they could wash up, eat, drink and rest. He breathed a near silent sigh as he returned thought back to his daughters question. It had been a long time since he had taken a mare; let alone loved any other than Querida. He knew he must move on- but he was unsure if he would love again. The next mare would just have to be strong enough to carry his traits- to birth one final warrior before his time on this earth is done.

'Busy' was the understatement of the century - being a mother was far harder than Nyx could have anticipated. As well as the pain of childbirth - which was quite formidable, and she struggled to remember why she kept doing it year after year - it was no mean feat to raise a fractious young foal and keep it safe, when all they seemed to want to do was get into trouble. But she had loved each of them dearly, and would have died for them without a thought. As for their fathers, however...the iron woman had never loved them, as she had bred with them only out of duty and not out of any particular desire to. It was better that way; it meant she did not grow attached, and was thus not as pained when they were inevitably overthrown and replaced.

Before her sire had chance to respond to her question, Lace arrived, apologising for his tardiness. "don't worry about it," came the mare's gentle voice. She followed him as he guided them to an entrance in the glass wall, so well hidden that it would be nearly impossible to find without prior knowledge of its location. Noting where it was for future reference, Nyx walked through it with a sense of awe, casting her frozen gaze around her new home. It was every bit as stunning as she had thought when she first saw it, even moreso up close and without the distortion of the glass wall. She eagerly pranced a few steps forwards, drinking in every inch of the tree-filled horizon before looking back to Lace and Nato. "yes, it is quite stunning, lace. it already feels rather like home." She turned to her father as he asked the equine of the glass wall, and found herself eagerly awaiting the response. "i assume it is the work of magic? are such things common here?" Isilme had been imbued with magic, yet the majority of her life had been spent away from all the queer, otherworldly powers, so it was even more of a shock to the system to be back amongst all the...phantasmagoria.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Vikram was a kind sort, Kaj had finally settled upon. Older than he, of course, and vastly more experienced. He was the, what, consort? Of Mirage, and though Kaj did not comprehend things such as love and the like, he held great respect for the half-dragon warrior. He was a fine Protector, a great duelist, and a loyal Qian member. Often times Kaj felt rather out of sorts, when he realized he was, in all technicalities, Vikram's superior. After all, it didn't seem likely that he could order around the massive soldier. Regardless, he was great company, and as the two large stags walked leisurely along the borders, Kaj was grateful not only for the rare conversation, but the enlightenment it brought him. Vikram and he were discussing how best to use the wall to their advantage during battle, considering not only the enemy would be unable to climb it. And how would members be transported out, on missions that required bulk and stealth? Would they be bottlenecked and easily killed by a large force waiting around the exit, should it be discovered? How could they attack instead of staring blankly through the warped, enhanced glass at their foes?

It was a crisp autumn eve, though Kaj was not bothered by it. Born in the highlands, surrounded by snow and ice, caverns of marble and quarries that spanned the width of the entire Edge land, the cold did not bother him as much as the others. Perhaps he wasn't a breed meant to withstand it, but being born into the environment gave him the advantage in that area. Dapples of light trickled down like water from the waning branches overhead, alighting in explosions of color upon a hide of sunlight and pale morning days. Shuffling his feathers he hummed softly as Vikram spoke in a rumble in his ear, shocking blue eyes sending his gaze pervading through the forest around them. "The mists may be our advantage here, broer. We know our way through them, perhaps we could blind our opponents by sweeping it over the walls, somehow? And striking from above, those who are winged?" It is a quiet response to a conversation that had been ongoing for quite some time, but Kaj didn't mind in the least. Vikram was wonderful company, and a pleasant man all-around, in most cases. Those excluded cases usually being war and threat.

Voices prick his aurals and he glances to Vikram quickly, for two of them are unfamiliar, and his nape feels prickled with uncertainty. "Let us greet our guests, broer." And with that dark earthen pillars push forth into a gallant shove, the wall brushing like frozen kisses upon his feathers as he strides beside it quickly. When the massive trees part, it's to reveal only one soul he recognizes- Lace. Kaj doesn't know much of the guy, except he's quiet and much like a shadow. Still, he doesn't judge, he hardly knows the man. Instead he slows and stretches his shoulder muscles, desiring only to lift into the air, but not wanting to break his conversation with Vikram in order to do so. "Greetings, broer. Are these new members to be?" He turns his crown to the two, curiosity in sharp azure gazers.

Extending a wing towards the stag he had arrived with, he gave a warm smile. "Vikram and I have been discussing strategies with our wall. Lace, you have skill with glass, still? It seems word travels too fast, too many promotions and disappearances...it is hard to remain afloat." Voice drops, so as only to speak so that Lace can hear him, not wanting the newcomers to hear his worries. "Broer, are you on patrol? Apologies, I forgot to ask. I have seen so few of our Protectors, I must seek out Destrier..." Shaking his crown he clears his throat, wishing his native tongue did not interfere so often with the words needed to communicate with his brethren. They all spoke so funny here, with lilting accents and flowery words he couldn't comprehend. Often it left him frustrated to the point where he would remain in the skies until his shoulders burned, wondering why they were so distant from him, when in his homeland they embraced each other upon first meeting.

"Kaj, WingLeader of the World's Edge. May I ask your names? I fear I'm late to the party, Lace has better timing than I." Now he raises his voice higher, to include the other two, and settles back into a more comfortable position, wings clutched about him to fend off the sneaking tendrils of cool wind that attempted to whip at his skin so suddenly.

KAJ
Everybody with your fists raised high-
Let me hear your battle cry

image credits
table by whit

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
At first the hybrid had been a bit bemused with being approached by Kaj, his Wingleader. It was an unusual thing, to be asked to walk with the other stud, to be cautiously asked questions about defenses. At first he'd been reserved, concerned that somehow he'd been failing in his duties in patrols. But, gradually, he realized that his opinion was genuinely desired, and began to warm to the subject, and to Kaj. Why had he never taken the time to engage his Wingleader before?

It was quite pleasant, walking the walls with the pegasus in the autumn cool. The bronze barely noticed the crispness of the air, what with his internal fire serving quite handily as a portable heater. "They would also serve well to disguise a second line of defense. Brambles, trip-vines laid out to catch up over-daring invaders. And perhaps have the ground-bound wait behind such a thing, with the winged skirmishing before the walls or dropping obstacles." His baritone was a muted rumble as he offered up a potential way to put the narrow entrance to use.

Then other voices disturbed the quiet, drawing perked ears from both warriors. Golden eyes glanced toward Kaj, politely awaiting the Wingleader's decision. Nodding assent, Vikram fell in beside Kaj, pacing along half a stride behind. Soon the trees thinned, exposing the sight of Lace with two unknown unicorns. Curious, but mindful of allowing Kaj to maintain the lead both physically and in conversation, the hybrid stud settled in beside the Wingleader, a dark figure that towered over all present, though not quite as much as he usually would, with Kaj present as well.

Golden eyes studied the unknown mare and stallion with undisguised interest as he listened to Kaj speak, first to Lace and then to the pair of strangers. "It has been quiet here, save for the ruckus that surrounded Kahlua's efforts this tallsun to build the wall. Many things have been not entirely kept within the gossip mill, with the Sun Lord's season being so hot." It was a low rumble of observation, as his gaze shifted momentarily toward Lace, thoughtful.

Then he returned his attention toward the unicorn stallion. "I believe I heard you ask why we built this wall? It is not only to keep the potentially hostile out, but to remind those who think us weak for seeking peace that the Edge is not defenseless. We recently fended off an invasion, and have had outcasts test us to see if we were weak enough to be uprooted."

((Long time no write, Snowwy and Candy! Good to see you two again.))

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

The smile widened on the sooty lips as they expressed their appreciation for his homeland, proud and pleased to see that they liked what they saw. He wasn't overly surprised that they had questions; from the admittedly curious construction that followed the borders of the land to the very mist-veiled forest it surrounded, Helovia was full of surprises and this edge of the world played host to quite a few of them.

Before Lace had time to brief the newcomers however, the sound of hooves and quiet voices made him turn and glance towards the approaching stallions. It had been a long while indeed since he had seen either Kaj or Vikram - faces he normally only came across during meetings and other gatherings. Honed muscles rippled beneath silver gray skin as Lace offered them both a polite nod in greeting, black-rimmed ears clipping the air as he listened quietly to their words. Kaj seemed in a good mood, chatty and friendly while the dragon beast next to him was more sparse with his words; but between questions asked and answers offered in a tumultuous pile, the grullo waited until both of them had quieted before he tried to sort the conversation out.

"Indeed, these are our guests" he began, answering the obvious first; though there was some emphasis on the word guest, because so far Lace had only offered a place to rest for the long-way travelers. Of course they would be welcome to stay if they felt like it, but it was not something they had discussed yet, and he didn't want them to feel forced to linger if their plans brought them in other directions.

"This gentleman is Nato, former leader of the Mystic Woodlands, a region in Isilme, a land not far from here. I used to serve under him when I was younger. The lady is Nyx, his daughter" he presented them both, offering each of the unicorns a faint smile as he mentioned their names. "Nato, Nyx; Kaj is one of two who lead our warriors. The name of the other is Destrier, a big black stallion who I'm sure you will meet eventually. And this mountain of a horse" he said and gave the bronzed chestnut a wry grin, "is Vikram, one of our strongest warriors."

And the mate of the queen, but he left that unsaid even as the gaze lingered thoughtfully on the half-dragon. Even now he felt a tendril of jealousy coil through the guts at the thought of it, though for once it was mixed with guilt... He would have to have a talk with this stallion one of these days, and sort some things out. Now... was not the time, however.

Returning to the conversation, the white-maned stallion turned back to Kaj with the smile fading away, replaced by a neutral expression that didn't reveal much about what he was thinking.
"No Kaj, I gave up that ability some time ago" he said. "You should talk to Kahlua if you need changes made - she has more skill with glass than I ever had."

"As you guessed, Nyx; yes, this wall was made with the aid of external forces. The World's Edge is protected by the Goddess of the Moon, and the divine lady sometimes extend her powers to members of the herd. Some become able to form structures from glass, the material making up this wall, while others can heal or divine glimpses of things to come... Same goes for most of the other herd-lands as well - whether all are protected is more than I know."

"Overall the gods are more present here than back in Isilme" he added and looked at the newcomers, knowing that all of this must be quite confusing for them. "It's not unusual to see them walk the lands, and every so often they might ask someone for a favor or two..." He conveniently forgot to mention that they sometimes took their wrath out on the mortals too. The gold that dusted his back and shoulders was a solid proof of that - a curse turned blessing, a slap on the cheek followed by a bag of candy in awkward apology... Yes, they were fickle, the gods of Helovia. Yet somehow Lace was growing quite fond of them, despite all the trouble they caused.

"About the recent confusion among the ranks" he eventually continued, listening to the quietly murmured words of the WingLeader without offering any replies, "I believe Mirage will explain it all to you soon. When I last saw her she said something about promotions... In any case I guess it's better if you hear it from her."

Why was it so hard to just tell them that he was their superior now? Nato knew, as did Nyx, because he had proudly introduced himself to them as WeyrLeader of the Qian. But when faced with this cheerful general and the imposing dragon son it suddenly felt embarrassing, as if he was making things up and spreading tall tales around... Not for the first time he cursed the shadow mare and her impulsive decisions, for all the trouble it was giving him.

Dim vales- and shadowy floods-
And cloudy-looking woods,
Whose forms we can't discover
For the tears that drip all over!
Huge moons there wax and wane-
Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Hidden Account
Candy

The obsidian stallion stood still only moving his head to look around at the new home they have just been brought too. He breathed a gentle sigh; and closed his eyes for a moment. It was a sigh of relief- grateful he could sleep without worry and not have to outrun the devils wolves. Fate had played a heavy wager in the soldier’s life- and now here he stood. He was alive and breathing; the blood that flows through his veins were that of his mother and father. He had become their dream, their desires- twisted and mended into the mindset that he was truly evil. Though over the years he had truly discovered himself; in his younger years, if he came upon any other animal that wasn’t a Unicorn he would instantly think them unworthy to walk the earth they stood upon. He thought they were abominations, they were useless to him, weak and gullible. Though with his time in the Mystic Woodlands, for the first time the demon had shed his ice heart, and fallen for the Queen of Lightning. For the first time, he was full of devotion and dedication not only to her, but to his home..

Reflecting on that thought, it felt as if it had been hours in his mind- though only mere moments. Audits lazed slowly forth as he tuned out the conversation between Lace and his daughter. His heart sank, if but for a moment at the thought of his Queen and what had become of her. His stomach ached at the thought she was never coming home again. Lazily, he rested his eyes upon his daughter. As if an etched memory; ghost like visions danced around her of Querida. He could almost smell her; and in a daze he breathed out; mist rolling off his lips as rose oculars glazed over before he snapped back into the moment as the other pair’s conversation continued. But his mind didn’t focus on the nearing shadows in the distance; everything seemed to be blurring together; god forbid they see a weakness in him now.. How would they react? If they knew that he was not the Nato they knew him to be? It was rare the beast ever started violence anymore; though he was never afraid to stand his ground should he have too. He had become more noble, more kind dare he say it. Years of bloodshed and war will run a stallion down quickly; he soon discovered he didn’t want that anymore. He just wanted to be Home.

The snapping of twigs cracked in his ears, as they turned to fixate upon the nearing Pegasus. Crimson ovals blink a few times to snap him out of his wandering mind and turn to glace upon the angelic stallion. Snow dipped hoof shifted to the side as he took a step back, slightly alarmed by the approaching stallions. There was another, on the flank of this one. All Nato could remember thinking, is how massive they were; and the black one seemed.. dragon like and had the same gold dusting upon his back as Lace did. Stepping ahead of his daughter, audits turned back slightly as he watched the two with caution. They probably meant no harm, and were on patrol of their home; but Nato had become so used to the caution around others It would be a hard habit to break. As the Pegasus spoke, his tongue was different than others he had listened too before. Giving a gentle bob of his crown to both the masculine stallions in a small greeting; he couldn’t help but gaze to the dragon like Pegasus. He had never seen anything like it before; and was intrigued by his markings. A white dragon painted on his shoulder, or so it seemed. Even the tail of the creature seemed to resemble that of a dragon.

As the blue eyed Pegasus inquired about their names; Nato hesitated for a moment but it wasn’t long before Lace made the introduction of his calling. There was so much conversation going on; it had been so long since he had been in a herd; he would have to adjust to herd life again and all the laws that come with it. As he introduced the names of the warriors before him Nato gave a welcoming nod to both in order of their names. Kaj- the one with the weird native tongue and large wingspan caught his attention for a moment as he mentioned Nato being the leader of the Woodlands. A grin crossed his lips as he turned to the dragon-born stallion; Vikram- a strong warrior indeed with a body like that. "Well met- to the both of you.“ He said deeply, eyes shifting between the two before again resting on the semi-golden eyes of the dragon born. "I must say, these walls are very extraordinary. Brilliantly done.“ He praised the herd before him. The walls defenses offered protection from the elements, from other herds and strangers that were very unwanted it seemed.

As the conversation carried on between the stallions and his daughter; he stood quietly and listened. Talking of the wall- made of glass, and about the Gods that watch over these lands. Nato made note to ask about these Gods later. Were they the ones who destroyed Isilme? The brute shook his head, ruffling his silken ink tresses against his thick nape as he turned to look upon Lace as he talked about the Gods walking here in the lands. A brow was raised, as he thought this just has to be a myth. Why would the Gods of all things come to a place of the mortals? Grinning a little he turned away from the stallion and gazed upon the rest intermittently; watching their facial reactions- their posture. What did they think of him, of his daughter? Mirage; the name flooded his ears as he turned and looked to Lace when he said it. Was it the same black minx that he had come upon in Isilme? What of her sister and brothers; of the forest? He exhaled wondering if she would remember him and the trouble he had caused in her life. Though, he did have a high respect for her father- but she wouldn't know that now would she? Of course not.

Rolling his shoulder, he shifted a haunch into a relaxed position. Crimson pools resting upon the Edge’s landscape. He took a moment to tune out the excitement, and just take in natures song. His hooves could feel the vibrations of others running or playing in the distance. The songs of birds, insects and other woodland creatures danced along the breeze as it mingled in his mane. It was good to be home.

[ooc: I'm so sorry it took so long. I didn't notice it was Nato's turn next. My deepest apologies! <3]

They were not alone long before Nyx became aware of another's presence, and her ears pivoted forwards in curiosity. He was a pegasus, and the woman's eyes were drawn as ever to the wings upon his shoulders. She was endlessly intrigued by pegasi and their ability to soar higher than the mountains, and a part of her was envious of them - whenever they wanted, they could flee the surface of the earth and be with the birds and the storms. Lace introduced them, and Nyx lowered her head in respect and greeting. "it's a pleasure to meet you," she said. She did not know what a Wingleader was, but she sensed he held a high position, and showed him all due respect - let it never be said the silver mare did not know her place.

The next to arrive was...unique, to say the least. He had wings and certain equine features, but he had the tail of a lizard and an array of spines and scales. And he was massive. Nyx gawped at him with barely-hidden awe, and the words 'what the hell are you' were on the tip of her tongue before she grasped them firmly back. She was tactless, yes, but did not wish to be outright rude to him. He explained that the wall had been built for defence and to prove their strength, and the grey woman could certainly see that it would intimidate potential invaders. She glanced back to Lace as he introduced the two stallios as Kaj and Vikram, and the latter was given the same respectful greeting as the former - a low dip of her head, as though resting her sword at their feet and pledging her allegiance. She listened with interest as ranks and certain confusions were mentioned, and wondered what had occured. From what she had gathered, Lace held a high position within the herd, as did these two males - prized warriors, the both of them. That gave her an idea, but shyly she was unsure whether she should ask. Oh, what the hell.

She looked at her father first, as though asking permission, then glanced between the three other stallions, unsure which to address and thus dividing her attention equally. "i hope i'm not speaking out of place, but i heard you mention warriors? i was wondering if, uhm, how might one become a warrior? i would be interested in it - i mean, i know i am just a woman, but i can fight, likely not as well as my father here, but i do have some experience, i mean...well, i know where to shove my horn in a battle, and would like to be of assistance should a war come." Flustered, the silver girl allowed her voice to trail off - what was she doing? She was not the world's best fighter, but she was keen to prove herself, prove that she was useful for more than just grazing around all day.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Pleased smile was aimed in his fellow brother's direction as Vikram spoke in his deep, soothing voice, etching out plans in his lyrics. "That would be a great idea, but the earth-walkers would have to know the traps inside and out, to avoid ensnaring themselves. Maybe we could have them spar, train together, as if they were fighting one another in an invasion, next to the traps? A healer could be on hand, to help with the minor injuries, so that they know how to push one another into the position of the traps?" Musing softly, a light frown came to his face, knowing already he would not want the Acolytes in that kind of situation. Their harm would hurt him, but perhaps they could merely watch? Until they were old enough, at least. The full-fledged Protectors, and the various volunteers would be the only ones to battle. "Though I hadn't thought of dropping things from the air...what would you suggest for items? They would have to be easy to grasp," low rumble came from his throat, pondering over what various projectiles could be used by pegasi. After all it was not like they had a great range of grasp.

Their conversation had to be put on hold, however, as the two picked up pace to greet the trio. Kaj had only met Lace in passing, but there was something...off about the stallion. Kaj inwardly shrugged, taken in instead by the gentle bow of the crown of the sole dame as Lace assured they were guests, naming them quietly. His smile was warm and polite as he turned it upon her. "The pleasure, I assure you, is ours m'lady. We need some new faces and better spirits after the invasion." Not one for small talk, mostly because he was clueless on how it worked most times, he left it at that and tuned back in to the grullo. He was humbled by the compliments, though he was not sure if they were intended to be. Not that Lace's kindly tone lasted long, and in fact seemed to be rather disapproving when Kaj was shown to be unaware of a seeming rank change.

Jovial features melted into stoicism, like a barren tundra, and happily sparking blues became respectfully withdrawn. "My apologies. I will seek out Kahlua." It is terse, but not unkind. If Lace disapproved of his lack of knowledge, Kaj would atone, but not without some internal confusion. Had he really been so wrong? It didn't matter, this was how he normally was, when his day had not been so joyous. Lace likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference, if he happened to recall how Kaj acted during the previous herd meetings. Kaj would hold his tongue and cram his thoughts up into his head as he always did. There was simply nothing else he could do. Or, at least, nothing else he could do without ruining the life he had worked so hard to build. Clear glassy blue eyes only cut back towards Lace when he mentioned rank changes, and Mirage, and gave a soft, short hum in reply. His overly-pleasant mood had been crushed, and so he had reverted back to his normal attitude, thus retracting all words he was usually so sparse with otherwise.

Conversation continued without him, hints of familiarity and recognition in the eyes of the trio, and awe as the new duo gazed upon his brother in arms. Again, Kaj was overlooked, and he had resigned himself to continuing his patrol to muse over a few of the things that had struck him as odd, when he felt eyes upon him. It was the dame, though his interest dimmed in disappointment when her confusion was apparent as she began to speak. Had Lace not just said he was the leader of the warriors? But he gave her a reserved smile and began to speak softly to her in response. "You are not out of turn, m'lady. Becoming a warrior is relatively simple. Either Destrier, myself, or one of the trusted, experienced Protectors of the Edge spar you. They evaluate your skill, you are appointed, and begin climbing the ranks through diligent sparring and lessons." Though her claims as to being a woman confused him, and his pale brow was quickly knit. "A woman? M'lady, where I hailed from, it was the women who did battle, and the men who protected them when their spiritual energy ran low. Our Dragonheart, Mirage, is one of the finest fighters in all of the Edge. Your gender has nothing to do with your skill. We would be thrilled to have you among our ranks."

Cutting off, he went silent once more, having nothing else to say. The times he spoke so freely as before were few and far between. His attempt to let it flourish was only a further indication that his words were not valued, and that he should promptly shut his trap and go back to the ropes. His importance was restricted mostly to the power of his body. Destrier handled the words, the peace, the tasks...Kaj stared at his left wing, moving it lightly into position, and gave a heavy sigh at the strength apparent in the usually fragile limbs. Was that all he was worth? "If I am no longer needed...I should resume my duties." It was quiet, though loud enough for all aurals to catch, should they wish. Eyes turned to Lace and Vikram, then to Nyx and Nato. Once he had his answer, either verbal or physical, he would decide whether to leave or stay.

--
OOC: If nobody talks/questions/engages Kaj, just assume he leaves <3 he'll stick around if he is though!

KAJ
Everybody with your fists raised high-
Let me hear your battle cry

image credits
table by whit