the Rift

[OPEN] An empty shell

Apodis Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 :: 12 Buff: NOVICE
Eaglecry

Apodis

I've become much too good at being invincible, I'm an expert at play it safe, and keep it cool
But I swear this isn't who I'm meant to be, I refuse to let my life roll all over me...

The golden Stallion found himself lost in these lands, still not all to sure on where he was going, The world of Helovia held so much more than met the eye. The buckskin stallion seemed content with in the boundaries that made Helovia. Certainly a place to call home, That and the fact he'd made a friend, though perhaps he saw her as more than just that, as he sure as hell was missing her bouncy spirit.
The air was clearer, the closer to the basin he went, the temperature more bearable. His coat may have been thin, to the point of being almost nude, But the heat in the desert was simply too strong this season. He'd been traveling for a while. His coat layered in a sheen of sweat, creating the metallic look his coat lacked. His dapples shone almost white. The sun bleached his black mane to a more coffee in colour. If the boy wasn't already handsome, he sure looked dazzling in the summer air, almost as if he was dressing for better occasions. Having lost his little companionship; that goes by the name of Kahlua. The little stallion had only met her briefly, but almost instantly they became friends. Other's may have seen her as dim witted and stupid, but he just saw her as a large child. She was fun to be around. He needed fun in his life again.
Apodis had taken up on just wondering around. He had not been back to the Throat for sometime, feeling a little bad about that. The longer he left it, the harder he found it to return.
He wasn't even sure what he was doing right now, aimlessly walking,Clearing his head perhaps? Though why was just another unanswerable question. He was confused, unsure. Perhaps Rasta could help him, she always seemed to say the right thing to make him feel better. But yet again his conscience ate away at him for being so traitorous. All those promises, yet everyone broken. What was he to do with himself? Jump of a cliff so he did not cause anymore pain to others. No, that wasn't the solution, he needed to make things right again. Patch up the holes he'd left behind, move on with his life. Maybe even then start looking at making new life himself. After all he was a stallion, he could not ignore that one major factor much longer. The little man needed answers, but where he'd seek such things he did not know. Perhaps he should ask around, find someone that seemed wise with age, that knew this place well, guide him onto the right path. A man on a mission. Well perhaps after he got over this depression.
He looked up towards the retreating sun, just a silhouette stood upon the rolling hills, watching as the lasting light faded into nothingness.

@[Kahlua]
"Talk Talk Talk"

image credits
table by whit
[Image: 525f791c057b6]64HP
[Image: 52878c6669a55]
Lines by bronzehalo

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
The girl looked radiant in the setting sun, the orange twinkle of the light playing off the black and white of her coat and giving her a golden halo, a glowing aura, matching the bright smile she wore on her face. She wandered the fields, a princess atop her mountain, blue eyes taking in everything around her. She was glad to be back here, happy to be closer to the heavens above, and she touched her nose to the plum colored stone she wore around her neck in reverence to the moon goddess. Even as she walked, she hummed a simple song of joy. Today was a good day. Just like yesterday was a good day. And the day before that, and the day before that. Ever since the endless darkness had left the land, the days only grew better and better. Even the oppressive heat could not keep the girl down.

With time, she found herself deep in the heart of the fields, the setting of the sun a gentle reminder that she had been away from home too long, and as it finally dipped over the horizons, the girl couldn't help but feel a little lonelier for her loss. Though it had returned every morning for the past season or more, there was often a part of the girl that worried it would not return. Luckily, she did not have to have to keep those worries in her head long. Just as she turned her head, in preparation to find the pathway down from the mountain, she saw him. Him!

“APODIS!” The girl practically screamed, with little regard to whether or not she would be dragging up enemies from the shadows, as she came barreling towards him, hooves beating against the ground in fervent desire to reach the stallion. Skidding to a less-than-graceful stop near him, Kahlua covered the remaining distance at a slower speed and reached out towards him, trying to layer her neck across his in warm greeting. Even in the dusky light, it was easy to see that it was him and suddenly the girl did not worry herself about the rising and falling of the sun any longer. “Oh, Apodis! I've missed you! I have so much to tell you!” Though their time together had not been long, the girl had not forgotten the warrior's valiant heart, brave demeanor, loyal conduct in the face of danger. He was her savior against the Basin monster, her hero in golden armor (even when he wore none) and she couldn't have been happier to see him. If her blue eyes could light the area, they would, dancing with brilliance as they were. Her friend.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Hidden Account
Eaglecry

Apodis

I've become much too good at being invincible, I'm an expert at play it safe, and keep it cool
But I swear this isn't who I'm meant to be, I refuse to let my life roll all over me...

He watched as the golden orb shrunk behind the horizon. The field alight with a fiery passion. The stallion out lined with a golden glow, his dapples shined brightly; the ones facing the sun. The seasons where changing, he could feel it the air. The light faded more frequently as the weeks went by. The cold days would soon be upon them once more. It felt as if it had only just come around and yet it was approaching the doorstep again. A gentle breeze picked up through the hills, gently catching his deep brown tendrils, causing them to dance upon the wind. The atmosphere was calm, the field had a certain serenity about it. But he just felt so out of place. The sound of thundering hooves did not alert the stallion as it should, the boy was not all there, something was bothering him, dreadfully. He should have been alert, but he just stood as still as a statue. being outside his home territory, he needed to watch his back, he was out of the safe area and into the throat of the beasts.
The sound paused, not to far from where he stood, then softer footfalls sounded. The stag could feel the presence of another in rather close proximity. He didn't move a muscle. Eye's stared blatantly ahead, unfocused, blank, a dead emotion. His skin crawled when something brushed over his back, twitching with the sensations running through him. Her voice broke through his revere, her soft girly voice. Something he had missed dearly, but still it did not seem to break through to him. However he moved; be it a little stiffly. reaching out with his nostrils towards her, he 'bumped' nose in a greeting, letting out the breath he did not know he had held in. "Lua" he spoke gently, his voice but almost a whisper, definitely not the usual cheery self he was. The sun caught at his golden eye's, making them glow a fiery orange. A gentle smile pulled hesitantly at his coffee stained lips. It was the least he could give to her, for all that had happened. Just a single smile could be the light of someone else's day. Though this painted mare always seemed to be so happy and bouncy. He hoped she didn't catch upon his depressed state, the stag didn't want to drag others down with him. "what brings you here?" he asked softly, just trying to distract her from him.

@[Kahlua]
"Talk Talk Talk"

image credits
table by whit
Lines by bronzehalo

If the girl expected a cheery, exuberant welcome upon reuniting with Apodis (and she did), she was sorely disappointed. She laid her neck over his back and he did nothing. She talked, he stared. He was like a statue, frozen in the dusk, watching as the last lights of his life slipped down over the horizon. The effect was chilling, and the overo girl frowned in confusion. What had happened to her warrior while they were apart? Had something damaged him, was it magic that held him in place so? At least some of her fears were finally allayed when he moved to touch his nose to her own and spoke. But even his voice was not the one she knew. He had been a chivalrous knight at first, then a valiant warrior. What was he now, but a shadow of his former glory? His quiet manner made her sad, her frown never returning to a smile, simply settling on her face in a thin line of confusion and pout.

“I'm here to feel closer to the lady Moon,” she said finally, honest as ever. “I was attacked here once, by a monstrous stallion...” she trailed off, shuddering as she remembered Ricochet. “But then I found this necklace here later,” she touched her nose to her plum colored gem. Apodis would not have seen it before. “It was a gift from the lady Moon, I just know it. I like to come here from time to time,” she finished up, her story probably longer than it needed to be given the situation. She just didn't know how to stop.

But if the stallion was trying to hide his depression, he was not doing very well. Even Kahlua, such a miserable failure at knowing when others were lying or telling the truth, could see the the warrior was not himself. She prodded, if somewhat gently, at him with her words, trying to break him from his shell. “What's wrong? You're so much different than I remember you.” The poor thing. She was so blunt, but not because she wished to be cruel. She just didn't know how else to make her opinion known. At least she was trying. Stepping forward, she tried to nudge at his neck again, to get him to perk up. She wasn't a counselor and she was sorely miserable at such things (evidenced by the fact that she had failed to prevent a fight between Illynx and Apodis), but she didn't know what to do besides help a friend. It was the least she could do, after he saved her life the way he did.

Hidden Account
Eaglecry

Apodis

The little black and white painted mare was happy to see him. Too happy for good, it just created more pain inside his chest. He should have been happy to see her. He'd missed her yet here he was not showing that at all, while she was bouncing with joy and happiness to see him. Something was definitely wrong with the golden boy. Something deep, resurfacing from his first years of life perhaps.
The lady moon. The way she spoke about it, almost brought a smile to his frown, almost. The way she spoke about the moon, the pure passion she exuberated, the way her eye's sparkled when she spoke about it. He felt something more towards her, Though that feeling was short lived, when the stag found out about her being attacked. If she was trying to make him feel better. She wasn't doing a good job about it. "You were attacked!" He almost choked on his own words. How could anyone in their right mind attack someone so ...innocent and sweet nurtured like kahlua. What was wrong with the world. How could they be so bitter. She was still talking, he smiled inwardly. The mare could talk for hours and he'd happily listen to her sweet sounding voice, so gentle and soothing in an odd way.
The necklace she pointed out, captivated his attention, His golden orbs simply could not stop staring at the amulet, or was it her?
He finally managed to pull his eye's back up to Lua. The mare with the childish mind. He stood quietly, having now forgotten about her attacker. It was in the past, unlike the hurt and betray he was feeling. Mostly on his part. None of this had happened to him, it was self inflicted. Turning his gaze back to the sky, watching as it grew darker as the sun surpassed the horizon. The moon would soon be joining the sky. Its silver light would cast a glow upon the field and the two that stood on the edge. Even with her stood so close to him, he felt empty inside, wishing greatly to feel something again. To actually enjoy the fact she was stood here with him.
He sighed gently, dropping his gaze to the grass covered hill top. He was clearly no good at hiding how he felt for even she knew there was something up with him. "I don't know Lua, I honestly don't" He picked his gaze up to look at her. How could he burden such monstrous troubles upon her. it wasn't right. Though something about her just made him want to talk. To tell her how empty he felt inside. How he felt like a huge part of him was missing, wiped clean from his brain, Just leaving an empty shell.
The breeze whipped up suddenly, blasting a bout of cold air across the field, leaving just as quickly as it arrived. At that he turned to the little lady. His protective instinct kicked in. "Perhaps we should find shelter, the cold night is about ready to settle down" He reached out with his nose, running it gently across her neck, attempting to find a little comfort in doing so.

@[Kahlua]
OOC: sorry if its all over the place ;_;
"Talk Talk Talk"

image credits
table by whit
Lines by bronzehalo

You were attacked! Yes, perhaps she should have left that part out. She never did think much when it came to things like that. But it had been her story to tell, and she was never much of a secret keeper anyways. Poor thing. “It's ok, I'm still here,” she offered with a genuine smile. The incident was pretty far behind her anyways, three seasons back, and her fleeting heart didn't often dwell on it now anyways. Even the wounds had faded away, nothing more than distant memories to the painted girl.

As he settled his eyes on her necklace, she shifted just a little bit, to let the thing twinkle in the light. Though she had grown in her time here, she was still inclined to show off pretty things about herself from time to time. Especially when the attention was on her. Then he sighed, and she almost felt sorry for what she had said about being different. I don't know, he offered as an explanation. She had no words. Stepping forward, she again tried to touch him, tried to offer some consolation, tried to press her shoulder and neck against his in a show of friendship and support. How could she help drag him from his misery? She didn't even understand what was going on.

Then the wind, a whisper at first that turned into an insistent gust, demanding that they shiver against the chilly air. She complied, her body twitching and short summer hairs standing on end, not yet long enough to combat the cold. At his suggestion of shelter, she bobbed her head, a new shiver, one of contentment, running across her neck as he set his nose there. Looking around for somewhere to go, she set off at a slow walk but had intentions of letting the stallion lead her. She liked being protected, liked being looked after. She would follow him wherever he would take her.

“If you find out, you can tell me,” she offered finally, not aware that he was hiding anything from her. She would listen, if only it would make him better. And then, after a moments more pause, she spoke again. “Tell me a story. Something grand. Something brave. Something about you.” Blue eyes looked upon him eagerly, wondering what tales of grandeur he had hidden away in his head, what he had gone through in his life.

Hidden Account
Eaglecry

Apodis

Yes, she was here, she was safe. And he sure as hell wasn't going to let anyone attack her ever again. Why they always picked on the weak, he didn't understand. Why not pick a fight with someone of the same skill, same strength and speed. Then if you came out the better off, you could flaunt your abilities to fight. Perhaps it was just what he had been taught, It may have been tiresome when he was still so young. But some parts of his past were what made him, Him. They had all been trained to attack only those whom appeared stronger, had weapons, or better yet, escape tools. You simply did not learn from taking the easy path. That just showed weakness, something the Buckskin was doing right now. He was emotionally damaged, sometimes beyond repair, only time and patience could cure him now. Or perhaps his newly found, black and white happy pill.
The mare was always chipper, the stag simply could not stay miserable along side her for much longer. It wore of on him, pretty quickly and a smile came to his coffee stained lips. A hint of the cheery self, he'd once been the first time they had met. The mare was taking every attempt to consolidate him and it was working. She was making him feel whole again. Like he wasn't such a waste, a useless being that had no part in the world. No, she made him feel like he had a meaning. That there truly was that light at the end of the tunnel.
He bumped his shoulder against hers when she moved closer, a gentle action that spoke louder than words. Flashing her a smile, He turned and headed for the dip in the valley. A place the wind would not batter against then so forcibly.
If he found out. If he found out what was bothering him, He could tell her. He gave a sigh of relief. The mare actually wanted to know what it was that was bothering him so much. Was she for real or had he simply fallen asleep without realizing it. Pinch me. He thought with almost a chuckle. Perhaps he could console to her, maybe just this once. Maybe.
“Tell me a story. Something grand. Something brave. Something about you.” This time, the Stag could not hide it any longer and he chuckled softly, turning his head to her, attempting to reach out and 'boop' her on the nose with his own. "Something about me?" he pondered aloud, with a hint of a laugh. They way she spoke, had just amused him out of his little depressed state. If anything, he would not have thought it to be her off all he knew.
The buckskin had been scanning the area as they walked along. Searching for a place to rest, too tell her a story she had requested. He felt like he owed her that much. After all he had not been the most pleasant to be with so far. Apodis had noticed a large boulder hidden within the long grasses, it created a shield from the wind; if they sat the right side of it. The ground too seemed to create a dish like curve behind the rock. It was almost as if it had been carved for the two of them for this moment in time. He'd led her there without so much of a hint, his instincts just took him over. "Perhaps we should get comfortable, Then I shall tell you a story" he gave a slight cheeky smile, a hint of his old self slipping to the surface. Conveniently stopping just beside the boulder. Hairs suddenly dropped to his neck as the wind was now barricaded from dancing within the strands.
He waited for her, waited so she could find a comfortable spot, before he too did the same. Laying down in the long grass, seemed logical to him. They could be here for a while, if the lady wanted a story about him. There was many to tell, So where to begin, that was his challenge.
"Where to begin" he mused as he settled down for a long haul.

OOC: hunngggg all the feels o3o
"Talk Talk Talk"

image credits
table by whit
Lines by bronzehalo

He must have been used to taking the lead because he did so with purpose and Kahlua tottered along behind him like a child, happy that she didn't have to make any of the decisions. And to top it all off, he smiled. She was so glad to see the frown erased from his face- a look that did not belong there in her opinion- and she more-or-less bounced as she alternately walked and trotted behind him. And then he laughed and it was like the moon grew several shades brighter, the depression that had been laying heavy across their meeting lifting away, his nose touching her own and she chortled her easy content.

Something about me? “Of course! Don't all warriors have grand stories?” Her eyes twinkled, following his own as he led them to a boulder. She hadn't really been thinking about it on their walk, but the wind did have a bitter chill to it. If Kahlua was trying to beat all the sadness out of Apodis, the wind was trying to beat all the warmth out of both of them. All the better to huddle close, though- and clearly Apodis agreed as he suggested the pair make themselves comfortable in the crook behind the boulder.

He didn't have to tell her twice, excited though she was to hear whatever glorious tale of victory and grandeur that the stallion was conjuring in his mind. She lowered herself to the ground, settling in with a few good shimmies to make herself nice and comfortable, eyes searching for Apodis', working if he would settle down onto the ground as well. It was much warmer closer to the earth. Where to begin? He mused, and the overo bobbed her head with excitement, eyes alight with the possibilities. “The beginning!”

Hidden Account
Eaglecry

Apodis

The golden boy gave her a gentle smile as he lowered himself to the ground. He'd never really told others about his past life or things that he had come across, But the little painted mare just seemed too excited to not hear about his happenings throughout his long life. If she expected him to be that warrior everyone perceived of him, she would be corrected, for not all stories have a happy ending.
Settling himself, so that he could lay down for a while, without becoming uncomfortable. He reached out towards her. "let's start at how I got here first, my journey before Helovia" He shifted slightly, coffee stained nose shot up into the turning sky. Soon to be littered with a thousand tiny balls of fire. Stars.
He dropped his gaze down as he began to speak. "You may know of the mare Rasta. She too is part of the Throat, we both lived in a land called Forma Silvestris. It was a place far like this one. A long distance away on another side of this planet. I was part of her herd, her body guard. But terrible things swept over the lands, I ran." he looked away from her for a brief moment. He was not as brave as he wanted to be. He always ran away when times were just too intense, too afraid of becoming like the one whom trained him to be a robot among many. They were beaten and sent upon quests many never returned from. Apodis was different to the rest, he was too independent to let others train his mind and he fled upon a solo mission, never to return. Now always on the run.
The stag let out a breath, a sigh of sorts. He was not happy with himself. "Anyway, I left her, possibly for dead. Not knowing if I'd ever see my Pale queen again. I was too afraid to stay. I broke a promise, a connection we had. I didn't just become her body guard. I pledged my life to her, to protect her in every way, to even die for her life. But I ran away"
He glanced at her briefly then looked out towards the sky. "I'm not much of the warrior you think of me Kahlua." He used her name in full. Getting to his feet he stood and took a couple steps forward, out into the brisk wind. The sheer, cold temperature of it, was like a slap round the face. But one he took with pride. "Bad things seem to happen to me Kahlua. Look what happened in the meadow. We were attacked. where ever I go, I seem to leave a trail of destruction and death. You should just leave me be. It's not safe." The stag turned only his head back towards her. "I'd rather know you were safe when not with me, than risk your life. I'm a bad luck charm Lua." he dropped his gaze and looked back out across the mountain range. It was that time again. "I have to leave Lua, it's not safe"

OOC: OMG i cant even ;_; i cried :(
"Talk Talk Talk"

image credits
table by whit

[/quote]
Lines by bronzehalo

Lowered together on the ground, the two were a lovely pair, and for comfort Kahlua cuddled closer to him, trying to rest her side against his own as he spoke, happiest when she could be close to those she called friend. And happy she was here, laying with Apodis in the dark, behind a rock, as close to the heavens as they two could be without having passed to the other side. And he began to speak, so for a moment she hummed along with his story, a soft tune, barely a whisper, but her voice combined with his in a lovely duet. My journey before Helovia. She quieted her song to listen.

The name Rasta was unknown to her, but she did not say so, afraid to stop his story, afraid to cut his words off, should he stop speaking. This story for her ears alone. She would take it all in. And take it in she did, her heart swelling with his voice as he called on. I ran. The painted girl did not fault him, did not wrong him, did not even think anything bad of him. She would run too, she had run from Illynx in the end, a coward saved only by this golden warrior's valiant heart. And she had screamed before the monster that had risen from the Heart, a pusillanimous child. Even in defending the Edge, she had ran. So as he looked away she extended her neck, touching nose to neck if he would let her.

I'm not much of the warrior you think of me, Kahlua. But she could not disagree more. If anything, his story rose him higher in her eyes. To pledge your life to a mare.... even the idea was a valiant one, one the painted girl would be brave enough to take upon her shoulders. Simply taking the mission of the Qian upon herself was more of a personal mission than a mission for the group. Peace on the land? Imagine all the friends.

But the warrior did not seem pleased with his performance and Kahlua rose with him, shivering in the cold and as he lamented himself a failure, a bad luck charm. Be he was a light in the dark to the childish woman, if only he could know. And as his finished, his words a dagger to her heart, she threw her neck around him once more, tried, tried to hug him close, to pull his body against hers, to feel his warmth against her. “I would be dead without you. You didn't endanger me, you saved me.” Untangling her neck from his, she stepped back, baby blues looking to him with earnest. She was determined. She had to make him know. To make him understand. “Rasta is safe, yes? Would I be safe if you hadn't run?” And though she was no philosopher, no scholar, there was a hint of knowing behind her words. “Apodis,” she murmured, gentler now, a smile caressing her face. “You will always be my friend. You can't leave that.”

Hidden Account
Eaglecry

Apodis

The mare was making all too hard for him to tell his story, the way she hugged close to him. It didn't bother him in a bad way, it just made him want to curl up under the stars and lay their silently with her. The way she was with him, made a flutter in his chest. A nose to his neck, caused his eyes to close gently. But he just carried on with his story as best he could.
So when he had gotten to his feet, he had half expected her to follow him. Though what he was not expecting was her to throw herself at him. even if it was just her neck draped over him, it cause his balance to falter sideways. He allowed her to pull him closer, a warmth growing inside of him. If he had intended to push her away, it had indeed done the opposite. I would be dead without you. You didn't endanger me, you saved me. she was right, as much as it pained him to agree. The painted mare was indefinitely correct. If he had not been with her that day, she may have ended up as Unicorn chow. And then he'd never be able to live with himself. But he had put her in danger when he chose to fight the horned one. "That's just a coincidence in few. It may not always be so easy. I just can't risk your life" he couldn't even bare himself to look at her in that moment, Too afraid to show an emotion he hid from hind sight. But as he felt her moving from him, he looked back, into those large blue pools of hers. Such innocence did they glow with, it almost broke his heart in two. "Yes, Rasta is safe, but that does not change the fact I ran from her in the first place. To me a broken promise is like taking a life."
The way she said his name, her voice so soft and gentle, she was even smiling. It broke him apart. If a horse could cry, the guy would have shed a single manly tear, or a many few others at that point. Closing the distance, between them, he flicked his tail gently, letting his silken strands caress her, reaching out towards her with his nose. "I will never not be your friend Lua. I will always he there for you. I just need to take another journey, before I know its safe to be with me. I can't risk them finding you Lua, they will not save your life and it will not be pleasant either" he gently nuzzled her, then walked further up the hill, only to come back with a purple flower gripped within his incisors. He reached out towards her, offering the flower as a token, if she let him, he would place it into her mane, something to remind her of him, this exact night. As much as he wanted to stay, He had to leave. But that wasn't forever. Leaving her forever would be in death only.

"Talk Talk Talk"

image credits
table by whit
Lines by bronzehalo

I just can't risk your life. The girl sighed as she looked at him, his heart a wallow of emotions she could never dare to understand, never try to fathom. Her simple soul was nothing compared to his ancient mind, but somehow they fit together. Like the day and the night, they were opposites, and yet they complimented one another. And as it was always said that you cannot appreciate the dawn without the night, Kahlua could never have appreciated this stallion's bottomless depression if she herself had not been so shallow, so thoughtless. They were bread and butter. But what can butter do to change the grain of bread? She was powerless. Butter with aspirations is useless. And yet she had tried.

As he came towards her, she graciously accepted the touch of his tail, the velvet of his nose against her. I will never not be your friend. She sighed again, but this time in happiness, some of her fears allayed. Of course, she did not understand what he was talking about. A journey? Them? She looked at him quizzically, shuddering as another blast of cold air beat against her shoulder and the stallion walked away. For a moment she started to follow, to demand he didn't leave, but she knew in her heart that her words were wind against an Oak. Branches may quiver, but the Oak would stand strong. So she stared at the sky, watching the stars with childish eyes, until he surprised her and came back.

His flower settled easily into her mane and she nicked softly. “It's beautiful,” she complimented his choice, letting silence settle between them a moment. “Where will you go? What will you do?” Her voice was gentle now, no longer demanding or frightened. She was curious, perhaps even a hint of encouragement found in the tones of her dancing soprano. And though she did not understand the desire to disappear, to cleanse your soul with a mission, she could finally see that he would not be whole without it. He needed this like she needed air. And she could not suffocate him.