the Rift

[OPEN] Water's sweet but blood is Thicker [Birth]

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

She had objected, protested, thrown tantrums. She had sulked in silence, she had tried accepting facts, she had raged against horses and gods and herself. She had done anything and everything, strained herself and risked life and limb, all in order to get rid of the parasite within. But the life in her womb must have been strong despite its small size and peculiar litheness, because its frail existence had refused to fade, its light burning stronger for each attempt at expelling it.

And the shadow had been quite serious in her attempts. Not so much that she had deliberately ingested toxic plants - she wasn't quite that stupid - but every method of causing miscarriage she had ever heard of had been tried, in a stubborn refusal to accept the one fact that made her sweat in cold dread.

She was going to become a mother.

To many mares this was the ultimate goal of their existence. They looked forward to the conception, they spent the pregnancy in a kind of blissful haze, as if everything had fallen in place and life could only become more wonderful. She had seen them dote on their offspring with softness in their eyes and tender smiles on the lips, and she had always shook her head in disbelief and turned away, unable to understand. She had never wanted it for herself, she had turned away stallion after stallion who offered intimacy, no matter how kind and handsome and insistent they were.

Now, as she lay sweating in the cold sand with eyes pinched tightly as the waves of intense pain came and went, she cursed herself for not sticking to that path. She cursed Carnesîr too, for his gentle eyes, his capricious smile and the alluring innocence he exuded, the very same attributes that finally had made her fall. Maybe she should have told him to stick around, perhaps she should have sent word to him once she knew that her time was up... But she didn't want to. As much as she punished herself and the unborn child, she delighted in punishing him as well - by keeping him away, by throwing harsh and spiteful words at him every chance she could. He'd said he wanted a child... Maybe it was because of that she refused to let him close, because seeing his happiness when she felt none would be too mortifying.

Another contraction of the swollen belly squeezed a broken squeal of pain from her sore throat. Inky nostrils flared, expanding and withdrawing as she sucked in the cold night air, breath after exhausted breath. It was taking too long. Profuse sweating had caked her black hide in orange dust, the sand behind her rear was soaked through in fluids and crimson stains. She could feel the front limbs of the foal extend from within, saw the slippery appendages jut out from beneath her tail every time she turned to look; but no matter what she couldn't get the thing from budging. For every passing minute her strength waned, anger and fear was all that kept her going now.

She didn't want to die here. Not like this, in such a humiliating, normal way, a fate that hundreds, maybe thousands of mares faced every year. Shadow would have wanted it to be memorable, an end they would tell legends about, after she had led a long and interesting life. This couldn't be it. It wasn't allowed to be. There were so many things she had to do, so much left unfinished.

Her pain and terror resounded in the scream that cut through the air as something ripped within; she felt it, felt how the resistance suddenly disappeared completely and with a toss of her stocky head and a final push the foal slid out and landed on the ground, along with a rush of hot, black blood that steamed in the chilly air. Fall was approaching, she felt its bite in the winds that swept down from the north, and shuddered as it combed through her soaked pelt. Shadow could hear the foal stir on the ground behind her, but had neither strength nor interest enough to turn and look at it. Instead the blackbird let her head fall to the ground once more, seeking comfort in the solidity and strength of the land, as her sanguine fluids slowly drained from the body.

To think that this would be the end of her... It was so sad it was almost amusing.

@[Onni] and @[Midas] first, then open. :D

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Kari Posts: 52
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.0hh :: 3 years Buff: NOVICE
Wanderer

When, between inception and conclusion, beginning and end, birth and death, do we first develop consciousness? Is it something that starts the moment you are released unto the world or does it begin sooner than that? As event is stacked upon event and memories are shuffled to fit within the limited confines of our memory, the beginnings of the mystery called life are often obscured by more recent episodes. We no longer recall the first time light touched our eyes as we were squeezed out from the wombs of our mothers, how it stung and burned and made us gasp - for the first time allowing lungs to inhale sweet air, which from that moment onwards will be our main provider of life. More than food, or water, or even the luminous touch of sun, the air is what sustains us - and also what finally kills us. Oxygen is toxic, see, and for each breath we take our cells break down, age, die - it is quite ironic really, how dependent we are on such a toxic substance.

But I digress.

To Kari, life did never begin with his own birth. Even the act of creation from which his particular spark of life originated would remain trivial, fleeting, of little importance in the grand scheme of things. Why? Because even before he slid from the birth canal of the mare named Shadow in a stream of blood and bodily fluids, to land upon the red sand in a tangled heap of legs, wings and tail, he was aware. During the entire time he had developed within the body of his mother the colt had been fed with information about her, visions of her life from birth up until this very moment flashing before a mind still in development until there was nothing left to see.

And now, as he lay sprawled over the ground struggling to take that first, vital breath of air that would for ever chain him to this existence called life, he was fed information once again. Grains of sand pressed against a slimy gray coat and relayed the history of their creation to the newborn, relentless visions of scorching days under a red-hot sun, freezing nights where frost glittered upon every inch of the ground, lit by distant unsympathetic stars, of wild dances through the wind in desert storms. Back to the moment the grains of sand was part of something bigger, stronger, a rock broken loose from a sturdy cliff that had stood its ground against torrents of rain and wind and now finally had been forced to give in. More, more, the images kept flashing before his inner vision and told the tale of the land itself, of countless hoofs treading its surface while other creatures buried through it, rain drizzling through minuscule cracks and dripping into vast underground reservoirs, where water flowed in fast rivers never touched by the light of day...

Soft, feeble coughs finally cleansed the airways of the boy and with eyes stinging from the distant light of a new moon he raised his head for the first time in his life, weak and lost in the vast recollection of memories that did not belong to him. Shivering as a cold wind made grains of sand rustle by and chilled his damp body he turned, looking at the dark lump that lay behind him. Something warm was spreading from her, a liquid that covered him as well and spread a pungent odor into the air. Blood the memories of the mare told him, and with that knowing followed fear, an emotion learned from study and silent contemplation of her reactions through the years.

Awkwardly long limbs began to stir. Featherless appendages extending from the shoulders waved in the air, grotesque stumps that in few days would sprout magnificent feathers large enough to carry him through the sky one day; now they merely stimulated the motion of the tail, a long slippery ringlet of fur sporting a damp whip of silk at the very tip that slapped the ground as he tried to rise.

Much too early, of course. It would take several more minutes before blood had ceased flowing between the placenta and himself, before the umbilical cord would tear and forever set him free from the creature that had birthed him. The question was whether he had that much time. Already Shadow was weakening, her blood trickling out in a slow yet unyielding stream to soak into the sand... The dry, greedy sand that swallowed it up without mercy, uncaring whether it was rain or some other liquid that went to slake the thirst of the few plants that managed to live in this harsh climate.

Even so the newborn tried, ignoring the futility of his attempts. It was a sense of urgency that drove him, a need he could not fully explain but had seen played out before him as a black foal stumbled onto her feet aided by a gentle creamy mare. Oh, he knew too much already, little Kari, and yet had so much to learn. For the visions couldn't tell him of the passing of time when he had yet to experience it for himself. He just knew, that at some point he was to rise, watched over by a tall figure that gently nuzzled his body and licked it clean from foul fluids, his voice and her voice calling out in wordless confusion that gradually would turn into affection.

Perhaps the urgency stemmed from how reality deviated from the visions he'd had. As minutes dragged by the movements of the black mare grew slower and more feeble, her tail ceasing to swish over his rump as the breaths turned shallow. She didn't rise from her position on the ground, didn't turn to watch what her body had created against her will; and Kari was left confused, alone, cold.

The tentative whinny was faint as it expelled from his throat, vulnerable; it drifted away with the wind and left him with naught but silence, and the fading heartbeats of a black mare.

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:42.5
Helovia Hard Mode
Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kari
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>

I hadn’t know that my favorite Sleuth (my only Sleuth) was with child. Call it a curse of living as head of our kin; it seemed the higher I climbed within the ranks, the less I knew of the ongoings within my own herd. Between inter-herd communications, and various family events—this life had turned into a spasm of never ending requirements. Now it was known and understood why Kri had always seemed weighted when approached during private hours—her eyes, vibrant and strong were still clouded with worry, concern. Despite my stumbling’s as a leader, we were strong now, and growing stronger even with Kri’s continued absence. I could only pray this wave of luck stuck around.

Shadow had a lucky season with the rest of us. Any growth around her abdominal region was played off as simply eating a healthy meal. She remained active, but distant. I assumed it was her growing style as she settled into a ranked position.

During the early morning hours, before the sun had even climbed over its first few peaks. Fina returned from a hunt (as she often went off alone to kill during the cool of night), a worry has creased her brow and images stream to flounder my attempts at blissful asleep. For a moment all I can do is fight the foggy dreamscape; my stirrings are intensified when she starts to whistle again and again. Grumbly my head falls aside, locked knees bend and shift my weight to the right. “What is it?” I whisper into the night. She caws softly, strangely urgent.

“Shadow. Laying down.”

Wings shuffle irritably from their dragging position, they coil up and I pick up my head to glance back at the fiery bird, “So?” I asked, already growing more alert as shadowed visions from her mind transfer over to mine, “Blood,” she says quietly, “smell lots of blood.” Body stiffens and sleepy peace drains from my vision—my feet start pumping sand apart, tearing into the ground that had bedded my kin for generations. There wasn’t time to feel fear, only a base reaction held enough sense to surface, “Show me!” I called aloud, scrambling to ignite the air with wings that would speed me to her side.

The protective yearning instinctively takes lead. I inwardly dared whatever beast had wounded her to still be around; they would find little quarter under my hooves. What I found is indeed a battleground, but one of a different nature. Upon approach we could see Shadows pitblack frame laying ever so still across the sand. Panic fluttered alive, quickening my heart and making cool beads of perspiration rise. Strong appendages tip untucked feet rapidly toward earth—uncaring that the speed would later cause sore legs. Daggers kicked up soil and spread gold like a silent apology to mend my intentional wounds.

Crimson laced the sand like a poorly written song. I could smell the wet stench of her effort. Something moved weakly just beyond her flanks, that tiny bleat made my heart freeze its pace before frantically speeding ahead. A foal. The recognition was immediate, this wasn’t my first birthing experience—though I quickly pushed those thoughts aside. Now wasn’t the time to be thinking about Ktulu.

Steadily I approach my exhausted friend, she looked to be asleep. Likely from the task of giving birth. For a few spare moments I thought she would rise—welcome me with a sheepish but tired smile. No. The sly lass didn’t even twitch when approached. Nay, too much blood, I thought. Her chest was still rising and falling in that familiar steady rhythm, but every few seconds the pace was weakening. Each breath was becoming a struggle.

“Shadow?” I called softly, confused. Slowly my muzzled stretched toward her face with soft kisses that were usually only reserved for another, “Shadow? Come now my dear sister—stay with me, yonder babe will live and so will thee.” The cause of this distress, a tiny winged cherub colored exactly like his mother lay behind. I lay down beside them, stretching one large golden wing across the mother—attempting to warm her cooling body. “Onni, Fina. Find Onni as fast as ye can.” I say it aloud to Fina, so that Shadow knows that help is on the way.

Sometimes it was the act of focusing that kept individuals fighting, “Ye is not alone.” I kept talking small bits of encouragement, running my muzzle along her shoulder and barrel so that she would hear and feel the presence.. My gaze kept trailing to the foal, he was likely getting chilled by now. Calling upon my magic I forced the sand beneath his straining body to gently pull said babe toward my other side where another wing could cover his frame and keep the warmth from leaving entirely. There were no other dames to take said colt in, if his mother passed on. So would he.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Chan

Everything was agony. Her body ached and throbbed from all it's injuries, the internal bleeding hardly the most painful - it was only a mild discomfort in comparison to the knee that had swelled into double its normal size by now, or the wing that lay thrown over the sand, broken and useless. She was but a remnant of the black vixen that used terrorized the waters of the oasis, passing snide remarks and unwanted advice to everyone that dared come close enough to listen.

Even the golden sand that sprayed over the inky frame as someone landed nearby hurt. Shadow wanted to turn and snap at the unseen someone to back off, tell them she was busy and in pain and not in the mood to play games right now. Somehow she couldn't manage to lift her head off the ground. The only thing that escaped her as a wing spread out across her broken body was a pained whimper, a gasp as agony stabbed through her, so overwhelming that she barely registered the voice of the stallion.

Midas.

Recognition and relief felt like balm on a wounded soul as she listened to his worried voice, hardly caring about the words. Strangely enough she didn't feel bitter - she would have needed him earlier, when her life was hanging by a thread and all she needed in this world was a friendly face. But how could she expect him to show up before her so far away when this was the place he belonged, the place where -she- belonged... she just couldn't. And so she couldn't blame him for showing up only now, when it must be too late already.

Shadow struggled to pry a dusky lid away from a dry, tormented eye and searched the nightly sky for a glimpse of him, too tired and weak to lift the head. She felt his nose run over her skin, it was painful, wonderful, how could something hurt so much and feel so good at the same time?

"Midas..." she whispered with a voice cracked and dry from thirst and strain, rough and tired and yet.. so strangely mild. "You... need to know.. Equines... planning.. bad. Heard them, they.. broke wing, and chased me, and..!" The memory returned with painful clarity and in her weakened state the mare forgot where she was, thought she was still back in the dripping glum forest with mad stallions chasing after her. She struggled to move, shrieking with cracked voice as an attempt at moving the fractured wing set pain stabbing through the entire limb; the head struggled to lift itself up, and without consideration for the foal she kicked with her legs, wanting to get up despite the horrid condition she was in.

Life was running from her drop by drop, but still she fought to save herself. How could she know that all the moving around only worsened the tear on the inside, preventing the blood from clotting...

image credits

Healed

Carnesîr Posts: 60
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 3 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
wanda
carnesîr

The journey from the Basin to the Throat is great, lengthy and outstretched, woodland and river's passing by along with grassland's and glades, and the chill of the Basin is left far behind leonine tail and cloven hoof. The bite of autumn burrows itself deep within his thin, lithe bones with each step, grass giving way into grains of cream sand and soft Earth, and with trepidation he paces to and fro at the borders of the endless landscape, the taste of his last visit acrid upon his tongue. Why should the Scholar concern himself with the matters of the Dragon's Throat, the childe growing deep within a obsidian woman's stomach? For it was clear that Shadow wished him away, to wither and rot for his crimes (but wasn't she guilty, too?), and yet the Scholar finds himself dancing along their borders time and time again, playing a dangerous game as to when the Throat's patience with his arrivals would fade and die, for tensions with the sand-dwellers have already been high, no?
He cannot deny the affection that brims within the contours of his mind at the idea of a babe, the lanky, tender frame of a young one to call his, and perhaps that is why he comes back and back again, despite the risks, the price he may pay upon his life at the disrespect of borders and homes, the thrum of pain inside his chest, and he can still remember the dusty print of a hoof upon his cheek, harsh violet depths and yet harsher words. It is no doubt that he has struggled to stay asleep at night, struggled to rest his mind since she has screamed her worries and anger and hatred upon him, since harsh realizations have clotted into innocent blood (but he is far from innocent, isn't he?), turned fresh milk into sour, acidic flavorings, filling his mind with anxieties and retaliation.

He does not try to cross the lands again, wavers at the invisible lines across sand, and begins to turn once more to make the long trek towards the Basin, when another scream meets his auditory compartments, a scream that sounds far too familiar and leaves far too much of a impression upon him. Fearful and terror-filled, pain brimming at it's edges, faint and distant, and panic spreads throughout lanky limbs, scalding him, burning him, even as his neck draws inward, nostrils flared, the alabaster whites of chocolate eyes glinting in the darkness.
The Scholar does not think twice, even as the sand trips him and he stumbles with all the grace of a newborn babe, breaking into that of a canter, then a gallop, obsidian hooves spraying forth dust and sand, gathering within his lungs and causing him to cough and hack, and yet forward he springs, adrenaline coursing within his deer-like frame.

But, oh, he takes so long, he should have went across the border to begin with, he should have searched for her, he should have, he should have.
He thinks he might just see her over a dune, along with a ivory and onyx, wings tipped golden Pegasus, a stallion, if his sensitive, sand-assaulted nostrils do not lie to him.
And is that a damp, silvery frame beneath one of the stallion's wings? His breath is caught in his lungs, joy and delight flooding his bones with relief.
It is then that sensitive, wide eyes catch unto sanguine sand, far more bloodied than it should have been, the cardinal bloom spreading far further than Carnesîr thought was supposed to be there, for shouldn't it have stopped by now? As if to further his doubts, he sees her move, and the shriek that fills the air is worse then the scream before.
"Shadow!" The cry is caught on the back of his throat as he races down the sandy dunes, almost slipping in his fear-filled rushing as he does so, and the sound comes out strangled, yet more fear inducing within his blood system.

Sand is sprayed up into the air as he skids to a stop next to her, giving little attention to the golden-eyed Sultan, for the only thought that fills his brain is Shadow, Shadow, Shadow, Shadow and her harsh words and rugid, strong frame, she should not be laying here in the sand, blood spilling out of her in torrents, she should be shouting at him, blaming him, screaming at him for his idiocy, not this, not this. A whimper escapes from his maw, soft and keening like a whine, weak.
"Shadow.."
And oh, now he can see her, see the odd way her wing lay limp across the sand, the morbid twist to how it has sprawled, the way bruises are dotted across her bodice, the way her knee has swollen so horribly, and she struggles and kicks, and perhaps it is a good thing he has come when he has, for pain blooms within his front pillar and shields the babe he has still not gotten a chance to see so clearly.
Despite all of this, as his front legs crumple beneath him and he drops down along side her, despite the one-shade that covers her frame, he still thinks she is one of the most gorgeous women he has ever come in contact with, ever had the pleasure of speaking with.
He wants to speak with her after this, too, even if it results in a kick to the face again. Bitterness washes through his mind once more, though this time it is not with the obsidian mare next to him, but himself, for wasn't she so angry with him? So quick to shout at him, and didn't he curse her? Didn't he hate her? But look, look at what has happened, what has occurred, and oh, Divines, it is all his fault. It's all his fault, his fault, his fault.

Salty liquids drip down from umber lashes, thin frame trembling, and he cries her name, again and again and again. His native tongue flows from his lungs now, far too overwhelmed by emotions to speak in such a cumbersome language as this.
"Ánin apsenë.. Nai! Ánin apsenë.."
A sooty dome meets bloodied flesh, and he burries his maw in her neck, the foreign phrases repeated, over, and over, and over.
Forgive me, the tongue whispers, forgive me, forgive me, forgive me..

He does not quite deserve forgiveness.
And the guilt of it burns through him, acidic in feeling, and grief and sorrow threaten to consume him, bury him beneath the sands themselves.

The Scholar has always craved knowledge, craved it with a passion akin to nothing else, desired it above all else, wished to know it, even if that wisdom brought a bad taste to his mouth and a bittersweet realization.
Carnesîr finds, that here, alongside a dying woman and a young babe, a Sultan has yet to know of, that this is the one knowledge he does not crave, does not want.
What a pitiful thing to think.

Ánin apsenë : Forgive me
Nai! : Interjection expressing sadness, pain, and grief

Posting before Onni with Chan's permission.
Credits

The sun is going down
You'll be alright, No one can hurt you now
Come morning light, you and I'll be
Safe & Sound

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>

She couldn’t’ die here. Not now, and not ever. My mind wouldn’t have the strength to let this one go, not when we had lost so many good friends already. They had ended up sprawled out across the sand, with nobody but their rotten shadows for company. It was how my dark skinned mentor had passed into the netherworld. Alone. Unforgotten by his friends, family, but very painfully alone.

I breathed out a heavy breath across her quivering flesh, she said my name and instantly my cranium fell toward her head. My name. Eyes searched for signs that would help calm a frantic heart, give me some hope that there was enough life in those darkened pools to keep her frame firmly tethered to earth. One ebony lid had drifted open, partly. I stiffened and hooked my neck across hers, feeling the muscles beneath our skin brush into the sweet smelling musk. The Sleuth spoke again, going on to describe how she had been attacked.

There really wasn’t time to feel anger right now….but that didn’t stop it from pooling alive in my breast as each drop of her blood was sucked up by the greedy sand. My mouth worked close until all ivories were ground down. It then dawned on me that she had mentioned a broken wing. I shifted my bloodstained feathers aside to see where the damage had been done; the color of my pristine feathers was making me feel sick.

Seconds later she started thrashing about, screeching to the night sky. Apparently I’d not been as prepared as previously thought, I started and jerked back a little. For a moment there was nothing to be done other than lay back, in an unsure shock of confusion. Should I stop her painful attempts, or let it pass? When the horrible stench of blood got stronger after each feeble kick; the decision was made for me.

The surprised stupor was cast aside. Golden sand rose from the ground to gently slide across each slender point of her black legs. Pure gold bloomed from the center and spread outward, hardening the rings into crude chains that were tethered to the drenched soil.

My wing had already risen from her barrel because I hadn’t wanted to hurt Shadow more than necessary by having a weight across her injured wing. It was very tempting to draw the lass closer and forcefully embrace her till the motions stopped. But to do so my appendage would be crushing the arches of Shadows wing—the pain might be too much to handle.

With strained concentration I pushed the golden chains down using a firm, but unforgiving pressure, “Please Shadow, forgive me,” I spoke aloud. Another push followed and my face contours into a mask of rigid pain as she struggles to escape some unseen enemy. This was likely hurting her, or scaring her. Or both; but there was nothing else to be done, and as much as I hated hurting her, this was painfully necessary. “Ye has to stop!” It was a lucky thing that I had moved the foal, her spine thrashed against my side, bending awkwardly. The warmth shared between us escaped into the night. Anger reared its ugly head, staring at me blissfully—eager to be set free.

I wasn’t angry with my Sleuth; fury was bubbling because of desperation, and the fact that I was powerless to stop her from leaving me. Another person I cared about would die tonight, and there wasn’t a damn thing to be done about it.

“Please,” I begged, to Shadow, to the gods, to anyone who might be listening. My shoulder pressed against her withers, trying to find leverage that would aid me in holding her neck still while mine draped across. “Ye can’t leave me here…not like they did. Not now! Please stop.” Words are bordering the line of frantic, and to my ears they sounded more like the pleadings of a frightened boy.

Another presence came upon us. A male, not of Throat origin, a foreign one with… a horn. A freaking horn! I saw him through my peripheral vision. His stench was as strong as blood, stronger even in a mind that was so freshly acute to their traitorous actions. Basin scum. How in the bloody hell did a basin unicorn make it past our defenses? My lips curl back into a snarl, I shift concentration, half to keep Shadow from killing herself and half toward this strange unicorn who dared approach us. Sand pools up behind him, forming the shape of six sharpened daggers—each pointing to a fragile piece of flesh.

He was crying, and in state of normal consciousness, on a bright sunny morn I might have cared to ask why. Right now there was nothing but ice flooding my veins, coldly I spoke up, “Ease away from her. Ye doesn’t have permission to be upon this soil. Leave now, or stand aside, I care not. BUT STAY AWAY FROM HER!” The daggers are now pointed toward his heart, one word and they fly free. Unrestrained. If he has sense enough to understand—the brute would turn around and walk away. Wing tightened protectively around the fragile babe.

Kari Posts: 52
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.0hh :: 3 years Buff: NOVICE
Wanderer

It's a rare luxury for a foal to have more than their mother to greet their arrival into the world. Most are greeted only by the comforting bulk of a mare towering over them as they come too, gently rubbed dry by a warm tongue while the first lullaby is sung in a deep humming voice. Their first moments are ones of peace and quiet, of quiet contemplation as mother and child get used to one another - and this will forever form the base of their relationship, as a bond of mutual trust is forged, to never truly break even though their paths eventually will separate.

Alas, the only bonds forged this morn were chains of golden sand, and no greeting was given to the foal as his eyes slowly got used to the dim desert light. Instead the of solemn delight and sweet smile of a moonlight mare he had come to expect from the visions extracted from the raven his world became one of fear, struggle, violence and despair. It was imprinted in him from the very beginning, from the lack of reaction from his dying mother to the careful yet absentminded effort of a gold-winged stallion as he was lift up in a cradle of sand and lifted in beneath the canopy of ivory feathers. No one paused to consider the feeble struggle of a newborn colt as the relative safety of the ground was exchanged for a stomach-lurching trip through the air, no one thought to explain to a boy still damp in the coat why his mothers distant face was taken away and replaced by the hot skin of a stranger.

What is a child's first moments in life, after all, compared to a dying shadow?

Upset yet unable to express it beyond the furious thrashing of a long tail the newborn was forced to accept the new situation, and as visions invaded the mind as warmth seeped into his skin he closed the eyes (had anyone noticed how blue they were?) and let them carry him off.

Better than this place where giant hooves made the ground shake and voices cried in despair and sorrow was the vast desert he saw as Midas' life was shown to him, flashes of an existence not entirely peaceful coming and going as the heart of the winged foal raced. Two-colored faces smiling down at a prancing yearling eager for their attention flash a vast landscape of golden sand stretching out beneath him as he for the first time flew through the sky flash the same faces as before, now cold and motionless in the sand and a bodiless voice thick with emotion as the news was delivered about someone's death flashflash faces coming and going, landscapes and sceneries flashing by as time moved on, the black and white colt grew to a stallion, seasons came and went and came and went and came and went and flash flash flash a mare black as night with mane like blood on snow appeared, horn glistening like pearl under the sun and the golden stallion watched her with yearning eyes as she tossed her head and left flash flash flash flash flash

It became too much. Even though the large wing tried to press him closer in against the body of the steed Kari wrestled himself free and inched out from under the protective shelter, into the cold air that immediately made the toothless gums clatter together. Tossing a finely chiseled head he began to rise, one leg after another searching and finding its rightful position as whip-like tail and stumpy wings flapped and snaked and struggled to aid in the act of keeping balance.

Did anyone pause to look as the newborn child took his first wobbly steps? Perhaps only the sliver of moon in the sky saw, but he would get no encouraging smile from her. At least Kari was proud over himself, as he turned and watched with judgmental eyes as the adults tried to spill even more blood upon the sand.

Maybe it was a good thing that they didn't have time for him, because the look in his eyes was not the look of a babe fresh from the womb. Maybe it saved his life, that Shadow was too weak to struggle against the golden chains that tied her down and resigned to the brusque care of her friend, eyes closing tight with ears slicking back to the sound of a unicorns voice, or that Midas was too occupied with imaginary threats to actually look at the babe he was so determined to protect...

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator

Skip Shadow this turn plz <3

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:42.5
Helovia Hard Mode
Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kari

Carnesîr Posts: 60
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: 3 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
wanda
carnesîr

Through repetitive murmurs and the disarray and disorder of his mind, the Scholar's ears prick upward, for a frozen voice has interjected amidst his grief (and he thinks that the Basin's chill is sweeter to the taste). Ire and wrath flood from within masculine vocal chords, and he lifts his dome from where it has buried itself in the obsidian frame. Vision proves hazy and blurred, and yet as he blinks away the droplets of salty rain, dribbling sluggishly as they do down his cheeks, he notices it is the onyx and ivory stallion that he has offended with his presence. Animosity bites piquant into a still reeling conscious (this is not happening, this cannot be happening), and yet despite the death that the man threatens, the only thing the Scholar sees is a savior, he has to help her, he has to mend the raven's wing and the injuries and the blood has to stop now, it has to stop now.
He tries to stand, slow and wobbly, and yet knees threaten to give way into frigid sands, as graceful as a newborn babe (and there is a newborn babe right there, isn't there?) and as oblivious to the protests his legs screech as they sink further into the minuscule grains.

So he stares at the savior, blazing aureate to clash with dark Earth, and now a strained plea extends out to the savior (why does he not see that this man means but harm, why can he not pay attention to the sand-formed daggers that threaten to spear him, for most certainly he would crave the understanding of how the stallion managed to create these things, and yet he cannot focus), a tremor of words, and he has to do something..
"Aiya! An ngell nîn.." There is a stench of blood in his nostrils. It's too strong. Too strong, and he feels sick, and his stomach is trying to wallow itself around unto it's back, and the clouded expression in the young man's eyes says I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do.
The stallion must be a Angel, no? A guard upon her life, and he is not even sure if he believes in such things, but if it will cease the sanguine fluids from staining more sand he will, he will believe for her sake.
He remembers when the flower-maiden is born, eternal and blessed, and he does not remember so, much, damned blood.
"Can't die. Boe de nestad - I beg of you, restore her." How was the elvish lad meant to know that the Sultan had called upon his firebird to find Onni, that the Sultan could not save her with abilities gifted from the God's? How was he supposed to even know the Sultan had a firebird?

Quivering as that of a leaf in the force of a wind, he begins to plead yet more with the Angel - that is, until the still damp, slender and gangling babe pushes forth from under his alabaster and golden tipped wing.
For the second time that day, his heart palpitates, his breath stutters and he stares because there are stumpy wings, adorably awkward in the most wonderful way, and little stumps upon a ashen dome where horns shall sprout forth, there is a leonine tail that droops behind him and he stands.
Cerulean depths that seem to drag and pull, disparaging almost at the acts of the mature, and yet he can find nothing wrong with this babe.
"Oh."

Because he's his, he's everything he could have wished for and craved and wanted, and the parental struggle of protection and love and jubilance clashes with grief and agony and sorrow and it feels as if his insides may be being viciously ripped and torn apart at the force of the elements that clash inside his soul.
He's enraptured by this young boy.
"Perfection. Gi melin.. Yonya."
Tenderness expands from his lungs in lyrics and words, the gentlest of puffs of warm, hot air escapes his lungs as he lowers his head further down to the sands, gazing at the childe.

And he thinks, that maybe, this may be one of the most terrible and best days he has ever had, and he has a son, he has a son.
He knows that he has lost himself to the little one as soon as he saw those bright blue depths.

Because Carnesîr has one-hundred percent, fallen in love with those ugly and gorgeous wings, those stumpy little spots where horns shall grow forth, the whip-like, curling tail.
And somehow, he knows that he always will be.

Aiya : A call for help or attention.
An ngell nîn : Please
Boe de nestad : Him or her needs healing
Literal: It is necessary to heal him or her

Gi melin : I love you
Yonya : My son/boy
Credits

The sun is going down
You'll be alright, No one can hurt you now
Come morning light, you and I'll be
Safe & Sound

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

I hadn’t really thought of the tiny child beneath my wing much. He a product of our desperation just as Shadow was; I couldn’t have known or cared that yonder stallion was his Da. In this moment it didn’t matter. All my eyes could see was a trespasser who happened to be a Basin cur—an amber eyed snake from the North. His cries would fall on deaf ears tonight, and if he pressed the matter further than my patience. Well…said fool would receive due reward. The ebony brute should have known not to tread upon territory that wasn’t his own, judgment would be swift in this circumstance. Had Guacho been here, it was likely the youngling wouldn’t still be standing at all; much less vibrating his annoying tongue.

Nay. Mercy had fled my soul. Overtaken by the darkness which threatened to robe a friend from my side.

The colt struggled to break free from my protective stance. Unable to maintain both concentration on mother, the weeping stranger and him—I was forced to allow said babe freedom. He struggled to rise, I bend my attention ever so slightly his way. She had brought into this world a strong fighter—and it was in that moment I felt assured that they simply had to survive. Even if it meant she would later come to hate me for choices to follow. At least they would be living, breathing. As long as Cera drew breathe, as long as Ktulu wandered this land. I would keep on protecting them—keep on caring for them, even if it meant shielding them from their selves if need be.

I didn’t care if they all would come to despise me. At least. They would live.
She might hate me for wounding or killing her lover—and later I might hate myself. Not now though. Nay, not now.

He stood, gracelessly and as awkward as a newborn should. I keep both eyes on the distant unicorn. Waiting for him to either bend to my will or strike, the magical sand daggers remained poised—either pain would drive him away or reason would. But he was going to back off one way or another.

He jumbles out sentences that I mostly
don’t understand; some other language. My ears lay flat, and lips are drawn back to show teeth. Normally calm and patient orbs are a pained glint that hardens as he continues to speak. I wanted to shout at him, yell for silence; cry for peace. His eyes fall upon the child and daggers draw an inch closer. One misplaced word, and one step. His blood would pay the price.

Finally the shackles around Shadows limbs can melt away; purposely I tilt my eyes to heaven. Fina screeches overhead, her wings ablaze with sun’s fire. She hasn’t found Onni. A hiss is upon her lips as she soars down to place her stance between the babe and our unicorn stranger. Aqua gaze, swimming with my storms and fury—she screeches a warning into the night.

“My child,” I call, voice raspy and hard, “Go to the border, find help. Find Guacho, send him here. Find a healer!” She doesn’t turn, nor fly off immediately. For a moment she simply hovers by, her eyes piercing into the coal colored brute.

Raeden Posts: 188
World's Edge Specter atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 5 Years 3Months HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Tin :: Plain Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Dressy
 Have you ever noticed how every hurricane gets its name from a girl like this?
You're gonna wish you had a storm warning; you're gonna wish you had a sign.
</style>

Suddenly, I'm not so sure about this. Not so sure at all.

Here's what happened: SO....Mama has like..one friend. I swear. There are always people around her, talkin' to her, and trying to get them to go off with her, but there's really only one person I've ever seen HER go to, and that's Sohalia. Now, I've never met her, but Mama says she's white, and beautiful, and nice. How hard could that be to find? Well lemme tell you, friggen hard. That's the answer. Does everyone around here have wings? Sheesh. Anyways. So I've walked alllllllllllll the way from the Foothills here. Do you even KNOW how far that is? No seriously, do you? Because I'll have to tell Ru how far I came. She isn't even going to believe me! HA. Except I think I might be developing muscles...A few are okay, but ... not like a boy or anything. I mean -

Hey, is that yelling?

My dainty ears perk up, and immediately I wonder about my appearance. Don't judge me - my prince charming could be up there, you don't know. Fate could bring us together at the hands of some horrible monster and...well, damsel's always look good regardless of the situation. You think that's an accident? It ain't, just sayin. But I think I look good enough - my coat has lightened even more. I'm definitely more pink than Mama is, but definitely a palomino. Unlike Ru. She's definitely taking after Daddy. One nice thing about this 'Throat' though, the sun suuure makes my horn sparkly! I like that.

I'm totally going to meet my prince. I just know it. I just -

Whoa.

I see...how many? Like 3 of them crouched around that dark mare? Is she...is she sick or something? OH MAN. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS. It meeaannsss, I'm totally going to be the hero! I'll totally heal her and stuff...I mean, assuming it's just an infection or...or..well, something I can heal. I mean, I don't really know my limits yet..But i'll totally nail it!

I swiftly gallop forward - pale locks bouncing perfectly against my neck as I move (I've practiced this). I try to force a look of concern and maturity into my sea-green gaze, but it isn't working. I'm far too excited. Today is going to be the day I meet my prince, and I get to be a hero!

"Uhm. Can I help?" I ask, not really knowing what to say. "I can heal...." sort of.

Image Credits

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni.</style>image by safetylast @ flickr.com</style>

Fina found her quite by accident this time.

The glimmer of flames in the distance awakens the shaman from a small rest near the border, but it is not her pale eyes that see the phoenix. It is Lyhty who guards the healer with watchful eyes. His alarming trill rouses her body, and the shaman turns to see the familiar outline of the fiery bird. Fina, when not accompanied by Midas, is almost always the promise of an injured soul. Rushing forward, Onni races to meet the small mythical bird, her face looking up toward the flickering wings until recognition of their meeting sets in.

The painted girl chases after the path of the bird then, Lyhty clamoring onto the mare's wing just before the pegasus launches herself into the air. The small songbird settles in for a speedy, bumpy ride as the pair race after the phoenix toward the direction of spilled blood and tense bodies.

Without elegance or safety, the shaman dives toward the crimson sands and gathering below, her hooves striking hard against the flimsy soil. Her gait a solid gallop for a moment as she attempts to catch herself without falling immediately upon her face. Flummoxing around with her limbs for a moment, the shaman comes to a halt just barely short of Carnesîr, her wings opened to slow the pace more quickly. Lyhty is abruptly tossed from his perch before her wing joint, catching himself midair and flying back upward to land calmly upon her shoulder.

Nostrils flared, the healer looks around to see tense expressions, the crumpled body of the dark mare - Shadow, she believed - two foals, one obviously newborn, the other unfamiliar. Why the hell was Carnesîr here?
She frowns in confusion for a moment, but shakes the thoughts from her mind. There was no time for that.

"She has lost a lot of blood," Onni says immediately, staring at the pool around her. Even the sands could not completely absorb and hold the liquid. Time was nil. "You all need to remain calm. Carnesîr, stop crying and look after the child." Her normally light and airy voice becomes curt and authoritative. The painted body striding forward to look more closely at the mare. The injuries, quite obviously, were not received from labor, even if she had careened out of the sky.

However, all of the blood could not possibly be from the cuts, scrapes, and broken bones.

Lowering her muzzle gently toward the shadow mare, Onni closes her eyes and concentrates. The sunlight which glows about her even now under the moonlight begins to grow. Stronger and stronger the beams become, until they burst into white flames of sunfire. The immediate area around them pulsates with daylight, wreaths of fire filling the space between Onni and this broken mare, surrounding the draining life of Shadow. The black body of the small pegasus disappears in a flurry of silver gold flames, the holy light of the sun burning away the wounds upon her flesh, following the gushing blood toward its source.

Internally, the gash is cauterized, ceased the outflow of her lifeblood, but nothing could return the precious liquid except time. Externally, the wing which had been mangled begins to repair itself under the watchful gaze of the Sun God's magic, tissue restitching itself together, bones mending with miraculous speed. Likely, the joints would always be a bit touchy, perhaps arthritic, but at least months of painful recovery would not away the mare like it had Andromeda after the invasion. At least now, the shaman was not powerless to halt death.

Opening her eyes, the shaman watches as the sunfire begins to die. The golden aura surrounding Onni's body remains, lighting dimly the area around them. "She will need strength..." the healer pauses, her lips pursed. "Lyhty, go find the blue pipe with yellow flowers."

[ better late than never, I hope D: ]

THIS WON'T END QUIETLY. </style>

just enough dark to see</style>
  how you're the light over me.</style>

Chan

It was a close call. After the shadow mare stopped struggling against the golden chains her consciousness began to drift in and out. She was only faintly aware of Midas next to her, too weak to bother asking why he seemed so angry, who the chattering, tearful voice belonged to. Something told her she should remember it, that it was important somehow... To her, but most of all to the creature she had expelled from her body. The foreign tongue that was unleashed into the fading darkness belonged to them both, mattered to the two of them - it was a legacy that needed to be passed on, no matter what her own feelings were on the matter.

But it was so hard to remember why it was important. So hard to keep the eyes open, so hard to keep breathing. Shadow felt like giving up now, she had nothing left to give. With a sigh she let the heavy, heavy lids roll down over amethyst eyes, after a final lingering glance towards the sky, in search for a sliver of moonlight... She didn't find it.

But just as she began to sink down into the darkness, something happened. A different light reached out and wrapped her in a soft embrace, one that enveloped her body and seeped in through the skin. Slowly her aches began to fade. She could feel them melting away one by one, so quickly yet seemingly without effort. Before she knew it the Sleuth was able to open the eyes again, and blinked in surprise as a bleary gaze fell on golden and white flames that licked her skin, dancing almost merrily across the ebony coat and burned her injuries away. When they eventually faded away and returned the desert to its strange, pre-dawn darkness, Skuggi raised the head and looked between the gathered horses, recognizing both Midas and Onni, a stranger filly who looked awkward and decidedly out of place, and... Carnesîr. Of course, how could she forget him. How he had gotten news that her time had come was more than she knew, she had certainly not invited him to attend. However, now that he was here it somehow seemed fitting.

Dizzy and weak from the blood-loss, the blackbird rolled over on her belly and slowly, almost as gingerly as her newborn, got to her feet. Looking around, her gaze almost immediately landed on the tiny figure that stood some strides away from the others. In the gloom it was hard to make out more than the basic features, but to her relief the foal seemed to possess wings, at the very least. It had been one of her greatest fears when trying to guess what her union with a unicorn might produce... what if it became a barren, or simply a horned one like its father? How could she even think about loving something that would keep her grounded for the rest of her life, unable to traverse the heavens like she was born to do?

But, those fears at least were fading now. Her feelings didn't seem to grow as she stared at the frail being. There was no rapid beat of her heart as the little one turned its head and met her gaze with eyes so vividly blue that she could see the color from there, no clenching of the chest or tender affection growing as it tried to walk towards her, only to wobble on the still hardening little feet and fall with a thud into the sand. No, the only emotion Shadow felt as she sighed and slowly padded over to the progeny was a deep weariness, a tired resignation as she accepted that she couldn't get away from this duty or carrying on her bloodline.

"You'll need a name, I suppose" she mumbled and lowered the head to sniff at the dusky head of the babe, reluctant to even touch it but knowing fully well that it would die if she didn't lick it dry. A closer examination revealed that it was a little colt; she noticed as he struggled back up on his feet, encouraged by the warmth and increased circulation of blood as the large tongue massaged the blood and mucus away from his skin. "I think... Kari, will no nicely. Kari of Dragon's Throat; Kari, son of Carnesîr... "

The mare raised her head as her son ducked in under her belly and began to suckle, quietly enduring the foreign sensation despite her wish to just lie down and sleep. Her gaze traveled between the gathered ones, staring defiantly at the unicorn stallion before touching upon her Sultan and Shaman.

"Thank you.." she said quietly, "for my life, Onni... and for your protection, Midas. I'm sorry for not.. telling you." Perhaps she should have. That way they would have been more prepared, wouldn't have panicked and stressed as much to help her... maybe held her back when she decided to fly off on her own and risk her life gathering intelligence that may or may not be of importance.

@[Carnesîr], @[Midas], @[Raeden], @[Onni]

image credits

Healed
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

Fina prepares to mount heaven, her wings lift toward the sky. I sigh deeply as she leaves—sparing a glance at the sobbing fool that stood by and the stout heart child who had risen. Before anything more could be done or said a shimmering shape comes into view. My gaze snaps up and narrows toward said stranger—another unicorn. Female and obviously still very much a filly given her delicate frame that hadn’t yet emerged into full adolescence. She approached and it took every ounce of willpower to not snap at her, that was until magic words slipped from those innocent lips. Healing. The child possessed some measurable skill to be offering up her talents, a deep sigh lifted from my throat, but it wasn’t one of disgust—more of relief. “Aye,” I said loudly, visibly relaxing into the dirt against the chilled mare who lay lax in desert soil.

Onni arrived quickly after, her speed a welcoming boon. As she landed my body rose from the ground, shifting to fall aside and give the two menders ample room. Though I lingered, keeping watch over the child and yon stallion that Onni seemed to know and be mostly unconcerned about. I could have very nearly rolled my eyes toward skull had the moment been less desperate—of course this gentle healer would know some random fool who pranced into our land.

She restored Shadow. After a few minutes the Sleuth appeared well enough to rise, I held back. Thankful that the danger had passed; when she touches the babe, I watch with a pricking heart with what tenderness passes between mother and child. Gaze shifts from them to the side as she moves to thank myself and our heavenly healer who always seemed to arrive in the nick of time. “Ye is welcome.” My voice is soft, quiet enough to be a whisper. Her blood dries upon my legs and I can think of nothing else to add. Shadow had been with child this whole time…did she not trust me enough to understand such valuable and precious information? “A fine name, he will grow strong.” I said finally.

There isn’t a waver in my tone now, and the sliver of a smile that breaks through the murk on my façade is genuine, effectively hiding the rich cut of betrayal that had been inflected. Unflinchingly I turn then toward the one they called Carnesir, “Ye has permission to remain within Dragon’s Throat for a night, but unless ye plans on turning from yon clan in the mountains…. leave this place before dawn the following morning.” At this moment it didn’t matter if they were a mated pair, he was a trespasser, and a warrior from the enemy by the stench—despite this occasion, he wasn't welcome on my land. “I shan’t have to tell of the consequences should ye decide to remain without breaking previous bonds…”