the Rift

[OPEN] I'm not the child you once knew

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
AFRICA
Diviner for Dragon's Throat

Really, the whole interaction; the mood, the potential and everything in between were sinking faster than a pebble in a pool. The blend of intertwining hot emotion and bruised feelings was quite toxic, and even though each mare seemed to scrabble desperately to make themselves understood (as straight-facedly as they could), neither seemed overly capable of deciphering through the flooding words to find any sense. Africa could see the situation escalating, the cloud of hardship and resentment brewing with the ferocity of a late Tallsun storm, and she took a step away mentally, not wishing harm upon Aurelia’s obvious fragility, nor the unsettled heart of her own. It was possible for two personalities to clash; for even to warmest of intentions to be misconstrued, and although their brief closeness seemed to be fraying and disintegrating before their unhappy eyes, she wondered if their paring of ways was even perhaps for the better- for both of them.

‘You cannot please all of the world, all of the time.’

That was the expression her dream-weaver mother had said to her finally, the night before her third birthday- only hours before a raw dappled spirit would step into the terror of a world she was not ready to meet.

It seemed Africa’s only advantage on this occasion, was her age (though not much above the girl’s), and the string of experience that had shaped her sensitive soul into something more empathetic, rational; she was not out to play the victim. Quietly patient eyes shielded Aurelia from the devastation churning within, even as the younger Pegasus launched a verbal assault- or that is how it seemed so recklessly and rashly to be presented, about the lack of support; failed defence when she had been attacked beyond the border of the Throat.
How could Africa have known? The dappled mare had seen her young pupil seldom since bringing her home and the last time she could remember, they had parted with not so warm moods. Africa’s role was not to follow the lambs of her family through the vast countryside of Helovia, it was to teach and instil values, to love and to cherish- and that she thought she had done. She would have offered herself as travel partner if only to request had been made. Perhaps the golden-flecked filly’s legs had been restless, her heart unruly and wild. The Oracle could not blame her if that was the case- she too had been prone to exploration.

Skewed and missing and messy communication maybe had contributed to the shattering of the connection binding them.

Africa wanted to reach over and comfort the mare- the child who struggled through burning tears behind tightly clamped lids. She felt odd though, distant and alien- like a stranger, and withheld. Instead she offered softly, “It is alright to cry.” Africa’s tears had dried long ago. Her emotional capacity had hardened immensely- like soon enough, Aurelia’s would also. “Of course you are cared for. You are loved and appreciated.” She gritted her teeth and blinked too before adding “You never stayed long enough to establish yourself in our family.” It was a truth that could not be ignored- nor was that about wandering without company. Eventually she would need to understand that she was solely responsible for her actions, and that it was not the world’s fault she suffered. Africa did not say that though as she fell silent while again the other horse vented.

She didn’t want to shrug, didn’t want to disregard Aurelia’s gushing bitterness- because unmistakably, that was all which poured from her lips. Africa wanted to be that shoulder who she could count on, no matter how futile and pointless if their future was never to be. “The Throat will always be a place for you to call home.” Her tone was soft and delicate, not wishing to trouble the young soul who seemed so ready to crumble across the sandy beach beneath. “Whether you choose to return today, or in a year- if you choose not to come at all.” Her chin tucked, the gesture of her nibbling having not apparently been received in the manner she had intended. “I still want the best for you; I still care for you.” Her eyes wandered then towards the wavy ocean beyond the beach- she thought right then, how splendid it would be to flee inflight into that clear blue, unmarred horizon and let the flurry of wind sweep her worries away.

Her heart and mind were troubled.

Messages In This Thread
I'm not the child you once knew - by Aurelia - 12-02-2013, 03:12 AM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Africa - 12-02-2013, 05:31 PM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Aurelia - 12-02-2013, 08:19 PM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Africa - 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Africa - 12-03-2013, 12:58 AM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Aurelia - 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
RE: I'm not the child you once knew - by Africa - 12-12-2013, 11:15 PM