the Rift

little red [questing]

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Ktulu had done exactly what the Earth God had told her after she'd asked him for a companion. She'd left the veins and she'd gone straight to the forest. It didn't scare her. There had been several times she'd traveled these very same woods since she and Ophelia had first separation. At that time she'd wandered the woods looking for her sister, assuming that she had gotten lost and hoping that she'd find her. The only difference was that this time she made her trip in silence. There were no desperate shouts of Ophelia's name echoing off the trees.

The dark mare stopped and rubbed her cheek on the trunk of a tree before she began walking once more. She was alert, looking every which way for something. She didn't know what but she had the distinct feeling that while she was familiarizing herself with the forest she was also supposed to be searching.

She sighed, her tail flicking lazily against her legs as she walked, slipping between trees and ducking under branches. "What is it you want me to do?" There had to be more to it than he told her, there just had to be. She could only hope that he would arrive and steer her in the right direction or send her some kind of sign.

Icon by Tay

Belial II Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
( hope you don't mind. <3 )

Autumn wasn't fast enough in its coming. Trees still clung to their verdant greens, the sun still blazed in the pale blue skies, scorching the ground with its harsh, hot breath. Heat hazes hung shimmering across horizons, and rivers ran dry. The deep forest still offered him protection, relief from the maddening heat of day. Cool breezes sighed through the pine trees, rustling needles and swaying vegetation in its wake. The impressive crowns seemed to trap the chill of shadows with its heavy boughs, and Belial didn't mind. The only thing he, strangely enough, regretted, was not seeing the strange, black mare more often, the child in a woman's body who had played with wolf-leaves and crooned to him in a singsong voice that made him both wary and pleased. Sometimes he came across her peculiar scent, but he never found enough justification to follow it. He'd put his trust in fate to cross their paths again, but it hadn't happened, and what brief belief he'd had in the good of things was waning again. Restless, he kept haunting the forest, waiting for crisp autumn and cool frost to open the rest of Helovia to him.

During such a restless venture he found himself spying upon a familiar mare. Belial, wings clutched to his sides, was skulking through the bushes, tall frame pressed low and fallen leaves softening the sound of his paws. He was her silent shadow, downwind, blue eyes shimmering in the darkness. His mind kept telling him to stop, to move away again, and leave her be - what reason did he have to stalk her, to follow her? He had absolutely no interest in eating her, that was for certain, and he most certainly did not want her company. (Right?) So why did he keep telling himself, just a few more steps? Was he waiting for some miracle, something interesting, to happen? He was a predator. Being bored usually wasn't part of his vocabulary: hunting required patience, and so he ought to be able to withstand long periods of inactivity. So why was he there, in the bushes, and why did he, all of a sudden, slip out of them?

His gray-and-brown mottling became even more obvious in the dappled shadows as he slid out, bony wings pressing against his ribs; mouth half-open, blue eyes fixed on her. She was just like the last time - taller than he, dark with white legs, and that long, dangerous-looking horn which perpetually looked as if she'd just stabbed someone. For a moment he remained motionless, but then a very humorless smirk crept onto his face, lips pulling back to reveal a hint of sharp teeth. "Ktulu," he greeted her in a mirthless baritone voice.

Belial Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
charks
My little Demon,

It pleased me to see that you were finally ready to encounter society again. Your absence from the sight of others was worrisome; for a while, I feared that I had placed too much trust in you, my son, and that you would fail me and disappear inside yourself. Yes, I have heard your claims of illness, your protests that your body discovered weakness and therefore you needed to rest, but these claims are no comfort to me. I see only foolishness in your hermitage, oblique reasoning used to defer the blame from your own unworthy visage. Fear not, darling, I am willing to forgive you, I simply needed to see you try. You will be my last child, I am sure - do not disappoint me as your sister seems bound to do.

Although I cannot say I fully approve of your choice of friend, I understand what drew you to these two. The filly has some power and poise that I can admire, the beast is a creature of lost majesty, despite his faulty wings. But never forget, Belial, you are a unicorn, a purebred descendant of Cinnoru, and the pride of your heritage must be maintained. But you have yet to meet a true underling, my son. When you do, you will understand why I tell tales of their barbarism and stooped inferiority. For now, your friends are mixtures and mutts, disgusting half breeds who you will someday understand are not your equals.

One day you will no longer disappoint me.

When you came across the pair again, the trepidation you showed made me think that perhaps that day was now, that you had realized these two were below your interest. But no, it wasn't that, was it? You wanted to impress them, to impress her. Oh, it disgusts me, but what can a mother do? You followed the beast, your fascination with him evident, but he did not see you, and so you hid, Belial. Like a coward you hid, and conjured up a copy of yourself, creating the likeness with sparse sunbeams and ambient light before sending it into their midst. You wanted to see if it would work, if they would think the illusion to be you, and I suppose I cannot fault you for that. Your skills are valuable, and it is important to hone them; I merely wish you would use them for more fruitful purposes.

You sent your shade into their midst, but you forgot something, darling, and as it walked it made no sound. Perfect in every other way; you even remembered to give it some light aroma - but silent in its motions. It is also missing it's final horn. Really, I cannot give you passing marks for this, darling. It walked up to them, slipping behind faded branch and grinning like a jackal, its steps fluid enough and its eyes bright. It stopped some lengths from the cat and Ktulu, and stomped its right fore - again, you little fool, with no sound. But it was your voice that emerged from its lips, or a course shade of it. "Hey there, Fangs!" it coughed at the cat, and once there may have been something eager in the tones, but now it lies flat. Oh, you like that creature, do you not? The illusion stepped closer to it, before it turned to face Ktulu, this ghost of my son, and smiled at the mutt. "Yo, Red."

Nicknames? Really, Belial, did I teach you nothing of manners? There is barely any red on that girl! And what was with the feigned nonchalance, the attempt at a grown up manner? Really, darling.

Long time no see, guys. What's up?" I hoped that you were not just being coy, that you were watching and gauging as I had instructed you to. I hope that you will not disappoint me, Belial.

With frustration and hope,
Zuriel
Belial

"Ktulu."
The mare turned when her name was spoken, her gaze narrowing on the cat she had met in the Threshold the same day she had met her younger brother. They hadn't met under the best of circumstances, but not everyone did. "Cat." She said in response, not having remembered its name. There was very little she remembered other than the near burning hatred she'd felt for the younger brother her father had replaced her with. Months had passed and she still disliked the stupid little colt intensely even if she hadn't had the displeasure of running into him again.

The flash of the cat's sharp teeth made one of her ears tilt back against her head and she snorted. What was it going to do? Attack her? Just as she was in the Threshold she was not scared of the beast. Her magic would serve to protect her just as it had served to protect Ophelia from the vile unicorns of the World's Edge.

Their stalemate was interrupted by the arrival of another she had met the same day in the Threshold. The ear that had been tilted back now tilted toward the stallion, though there was something off. Ktulu had known many a horse that could walk quietly, but none that ever walked silently. Even when he slammed his hoof into the ground there was no noise. She stared, remembering that the other colt had been able to create copies of things.

With that memory fresh in her mind the mare looked around. "Your copy is flawed." She called out into the woods. "Why don't you come out and actually greet us."

>

Icon by Tay

Belial II Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
BELIAL II
( probably the first time in a long, long time I switch table in a thread :o )

It was no surprise to him that she spun around to face him, and the name for the closest relative of his roaming Helovia slipped from her dark mouth. "Cat." Belial gave the faintest of snorts, displeased with such a tame classification. Couldn't she have thought of anything better? He was far too large to be a mere cat, but there was little use in telling her that. It'd only lead to talk of what he was.. and he did not want to go there. So his wings pressed against his ribs in an achingly familiar fashion, and he opened his mouth as if to speak .. only to realize he had absolutely nothing to say to her. Why had he even made himself known? Why had he wanted to see a, oh really, familiar face? The expression turned into a vile grimace, ears falling back and lips peeling back in frustration. Not that he was going to do anything to her, but... He gave a guttural growl of sorts, and prepared to snort and walk away again to hide in his shame, when one he recognized waltzed out of the bushes. Blue eyes narrowed. To the feline's trained nose he even smelled right, but...

Heavy hooves upon grass and twigs, silently pressing down. No sound, no sound; it stopped and stomped, no sound, drifted closer to the cat. He snapped his teeth at it, clicking when they closed upon air. The colt's voice was flat and dead, robotic, lacking the nuances that made things come alive - lacking the melodies he remembered from earlier that summer. At the same time Ktulu figured it out, commanding him to show himself. "The sky," Belial growled in response to his foolish query. Despite the smell he was certain the thing standing with them was not alive, and with a look of bored irritation he stepped up to it. Without announcing his intentions or in any way looking like he was doing something more interesting than watching a tree, Belial allowed his lower jaw to fall down to his throat, opening large enough to admit entry to his mouth past the canines. Something glinted in his eyes, and then he leaned in swiftly, aiming to close his powerful jaws around the illusion's nearest forearm, wondering if it would be solid or simply air.

Belial Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
charks
Dear yet Foolish Child,

Your absurd desire to show off has once again backfired. Really, my demon, I have never been able to understand your insatiable longing for the approval of others, their impressed gasps and stupid, slack jaws. The source of your longing must be your sire, for I know that the bloodlines I granted you leave no necessity for verbal compensation. Of all the stallions I could have had, I chose him for his conformation and ability, as well as his relation to our great Sire, Cinnoru; but clearly you inherited some of his meekness, his sickening obsession with perfection and affection. I cannot understand it, the fascination with others and the mimicry of their actions that both you and he demonstrate, the way you let yourself become what you are molded into. Perhaps I was wrong to let you out into the world so soon, while your nature remains malleable and childlike. Oh well, there is nothing to be done about it now. Although if you do not clean up your pathetic behavior, darling, I will have to come straighten you out myself.

Did the mean children dislike your toy? Oh, dear, my poor little Belial. I have taught you time and again that you must strengthen your illusions, master the act of controlling them and establishing their realism, but you always seem to forget some critical step. Your monstrosity was rejected by their clever ears, ears that should not have been to clever for you, son. Your soundless beast glared at the girl who showed you up, its soulless eyes fierce and furious as it swept across her form. Why so angry, little demon? Your foolish wrath was misplaced, funneled through an empty shell that could do nothing but glare and shout, slant its gaze from the winged cat to the dun filly and flinch as the one you have so colloquially dubbed 'Fangs' takes a great bite from its leg. False blood dripped from the wound, a great patch of flesh hanging indelicately from its leg. The copper tang of blood hangs in the air; a real scent, or just an illusion of association in their minds?

At least you did that right.

I would have had you maintain your distance, even in the absence of your creation's success; but I would have had you abandon this ridiculous pair of misbreeds long before you even approached them. Of course, you chose to behave differently; "Ow," muttered your injured phantom, robotic and bland in its tones as it eyed the cat with barely contained admiration, a straightforward and unapologetic mix of curiosity and childlike interest. "Your jaws are enormous. That almost hurt." At least your illusion had the good grace not to laugh, even as it shifted its weight. I found it interesting that you chose not to mend the ruptured flesh, letting the wound hang open in the dingy light.

Your mimic turned to Ktulu, footsteps soundless in the musty brush, leonine tail beating pointlessly at the wind, three pointless horns catching the falling sunbeams. "Why don't you come find me?" it suggested - as though your flawed shadow could represent you - a stupid smile on its synthetic face, a gleaming challenge in its heterochromatic gaze. It was an innocent question, though, a straightforward tone of voice and simple desire to know why she thought the things she did. Why do you care, though, for the behavior of miked breeds? "What are you guys doing here?" you added petulantly, and I cringe as I write this, cringe on your behalf, son, and for your insatiable curiosity into the actions of others, when you cannot seem to fathom the reasons behind your own. You seem to anticipate a sense of purpose in others, when so often they float through life without goals or desires, aimless monsters that do naught but whine and intrude, love and die like moronic beasts of burden.

Do not become like them.

Exasperated,

Zuriel
Belial

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

"Shhh... they'll hear you!" whispered a little voice harshly from somewhere in the trees.
"Well now they certainly will." A second voice responded, grunting in irritation. "Night is falling. Maybe they cant see us if we keep our lights out."
"Oh but Dodger, I love my light. The moon is calling me to respond..." the female voice begged, humming softly.
"Then they will certainly see you!" He replied with a grumble.
"I do not think they will hurt me, will you little ones? " the female voice asked.

Just then, a tiny little lightning bug hovered down, flickering on her light as she landed on Ktulu's nose, looking into her crimson eyes curiously. Recognition crossed her features. "Dodger this is her!" she exclaimed excitedly, buzzing around her horn before landing in her mane.

"A unicorn? Nonsense... wait. You're right." The male voice responded, buzzing down as well. "But who are these mutts?" he asked, landing on Ktulu's poll and glaring down the other two.

"Does not matter! We must take her to.... HIM. " She whispered these words with barely concealed excitement. "Come along Ktulu! HE is waiting for you!"

Then, the two lightning bugs zoomed off into the night, expecting you to follow. And you do. Right into a broad clearing. A strange hut stood there, made of logs that were crudely resting against one another, and two, frightening yellow eyes flickered open from the darkness.

"Good luck." She whispered before flying away.

Ktulu quickly lost interest in the false Belial and the cat that bit it to prove the point that they knew it was nothing but an illusion. She had gone to the forest on a mission and they were doing nothing but interrupting her and causing her to spend more time trying to get the bear she had asked the Earth God for. One ear tilted as the false Belial challenged her into finding him. "I would only be wasting my time." She said, perhaps a bit too cold for someone she might be able to call a friend or an ally in the future.

Suddenly there was the sound of tiny voices and before she knew it a lightning bug had landed on her nose. The mare's eyes crossed as she looked at it only to have it buzzing around her horn moments later before landing in her mane. The mare's confusion gradually lessened as she realized that these bugs had been sent to her from the God of the Earth.

There was no hesitation in the mare's step as she moved into the forest, leaving the cat, the unicorn and his copy behind her. She entered a clearing and slowed to a halt, her focus on the hut that had been erected. Both ears laced back against her poll when the yellow eyes suddenly appeared. Her head tilted and she watched the lightning bug as it zipped away after wishing her luck.

Ktulu stood there for a moment before taking a few steps forward. "Hello." She said to whatever it was that was in the hut. "I am Ktulu. Are you the one the bugs spoke of? Are you HIM?"

Icon by Tay

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

What emerged from the darkness was a massive, ancient bear. His fur was silver and grey with age, and the yellow eyes were deeply set beneath heavy brows. With a creak and a groan, he stepped into the moonlight and stared almost blindly at the creature who spoke to him. Female creature. Equine, by the smell. But something about her was still not equine at all.

"HIM. I am HIM, and I am many things..." he grunted quietly. "I am slumber, I am feast, I am taste, I am winter, I am summer... I am what you need me to be." The voice that rumbled from the creature's throat was somehow more ancient than the creature itself. "The bugs know me by legend. They are the guides."

The mighty bear wheezed slightly and coughed, staring unseeingly at you. "You want a companion? The Earth has whispered that much to me, yes. A bear. Ho Hum, but how to find a lone cub willing to bond with such a creature." With a small snort, the animal turned around and meandered over to a small stream. "I am weary and old. Find me a good doctor that will heal my aches."