the Rift

[OPEN] Of Tails and Thistles

Celebi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Celebi
Making echos in a vacant space, hoping for a call back

I'm amazed at how the season is already beginning to shift here in this new land. It has hardly been but a few days since I had left the woods, where the heat had prickled at my skin and forced me to seek respite in a creek and now I am hurried by a breeze that teases with the autumns cool embrace...or whatever the locals care to call it. At present is it just a hint really, the coolness, but being the seasoned traveler that I am I know it is not a fluke, stranger though be I to Helovia. It seems I've come a little late to the party. I sigh lightly then, remarking that perhaps soon I'll be like a dragon with my breath turned to mist in the autumn rush.

Blissful though I am to be traveling abroad I can't help but feel a nagging absence beside me as I traverse the verge of a great and magnificent meadow, breaking from the shadows of the pines and merging into the multitude of reds, brackens, and light emeralds of the open space. Being on my own does not distress me, its how I live, how I was taught, but I have to admit that parting with Solace and Lena was...bittersweet I guess. Brief though our meeting was I considered them both fond acquaintances and hope that soon - or at least sometime in the future- that I'd meet them again, maybe in the Windtossed Foothills or the Aurora Basin, whichever I crossed into first.

The prospect of reuniting warms me against the cool breeze as I trot along at my travelers pace, taking in the scenery . In my gazing I manage to spot a fleeting glimpse of a fox not far off, its rufescent figure chasing what I assumed to be a rabbit. Fondly I recall Imogen, Lena's "bonded", as she so put it. Out of habit I tilt my head, still puzzled by the bay's cryptic words.

Some are capable of forging connections with other beasts, through luck, through circumstance, through love and devotion...You become a part of one another, incapable of existing without the other.

I would have spent more time pondering over these words if at the moment something had not sprang before me, darting across my path in a frenzy. Before I knew it I shied sharply and lost my footing, scraping my knees on the dirt and tumbling over like some giant loaf into bracken and whatever twiggy substance lay in my wake zone. When all was said and done I was distinctly aware of a strange, prickling discomfort all along my rump and hinds legs and it only took a glance backward to figure out why. Thistles. The spiny flower congregated all around me like some fiendish mob and my tail was quite throughly weaved into the masses as if their had been a frenzy for the valuable thread that was my hair.

With a good heave I shamble onto my feet, pulling with me an entire entourage of charming purple heads. " Well, this is a pickle."I murmur to myself as I stare at the mess, delighted at the prospect of having to pull each and every one of them from hide. Well, the sooner the better. As best I can I start to brush the burs of my hind legs with my muzzle, flinching as I was pricked, before getting to work on my tail. This may be a while...

"blah blah blah."

Micha Posts: N/A
Unregistered

there's always a spark before a storm

She had a knack of "expanding her horizons" lately. Moving through each of this little territories and nooks figuring out who liked who and what hated what. Or, more so where the best places were to pig out. Because frankly, life as a foal was incredibly boring. It was the same thing, every day. Eat, sleep, play, eat sleep play; over and over an over. It was so stupid too. Let's be real. She was a big girl, she could do "big girl" things. Well, except for the thing thing. You know, where little babies come from. That was still eww. She wanted no part in that. It was just gross sticking things in.. ew, just ew. The thought was shaken from her head, as it transferred to movement outside. Her eyes widened as the thought crept back in, and again, she shook her head. Just. No.

So, here Micha was, going the only "big girl" thing she could think of. She meandered about for a while. Finding the thistles uncomfortable in her growing, now less fluffy tail. Her mane, although now a soft, sleek black, was still not long and luxurious enough to catch any of the stray thistles. Having enough of the purple devils, or the thistles as Micha had renamed, she moved towards the babbling brooke, taking tentative steps as to not find herself toppling into the incredibly cold water. A gentle breeze blew, shaking the purple devils as they swayed, looking so innocent among greenery. Much like life she supposed, those who were the devils walked freely among the innocent, and it wasn't until they cause damage that you noticed them. That, she learned from the SteelHooves.

Just as she was about the be done with her little adventure, she dramatically gazed across the meadow. Hoping some sort of adventure would hit her in the face. Literally, she wished something would come give her some sort of destiny. Although destiny seemed to be missing, she spotted one of those horned equines. What had Arrane called it? Oh yeah, a unicorn. She was much older than Micha, but seemed to be having the same problem with the purple devils. Moving carefully around the thick, purple patches she made her way to the mare, stopping a safe distance away. One couldn't be too sure if she was a thistle, or an innocent piece of grass. "Err.. miss, do you want some help?" she inquired, nodding the the purple devils spread across her body. "I'm Micha by the way." She finished, flinching as the other girl flinched. Those purple burrs looked painful.

"blah blah blah."

image credits to: eagle.

Celebi Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Celebi
Making echos in a vacant space, hoping for a call back

My attempt at freeing myself of the thistles zealous embrace was not quite going as planned. In fact, it was not going as planned...at all. Nabbing the purple heads was like a cheaters version of tag and this one had reprecussions. The rules were simple and rather, in my humble opinion, one-sided. They consisted of a single line of philosophy: We tag you and...that is the game, harr harr. Oh, and the fine print within the fine print , as I discovered to my great, displeasurable chagrin, was ' Defiance of this alimighty rule results in damage points in the form of terrifically pin-point pricks to the nose or any intruding body part disturbing our personal space barrier. Good day.'

I must have looked a foal, trying to bend back enough to catch the threads of my ensnared tail, timing my reaches and tails flicks at the same moment to cleanse myself of the thorny pestilence and facing an arbitrary mixture of success and failure. The cross breeze added to my level of difficulty, lifting my tail in random directions. Had I unknowingly offended some presence? I recall Lena and Solace mentioning Gods, mayhaps one had a trickers nature and this was their greeting present. My face soured at the thought of some divine prank and with mild, irritated ire I sent my yellow-green gaze skyward. At least I had a graveyard of victims on the ground all around me. I had personally taken to crushing the few buds I captured with the flat of my cloven hoof. It seemed fair play to me.

While seeking respite from my innocent misfortune it hadn't occurred to me to keep a watch out and it certainly didn't occur to me that the voice I heard was not my own. Frankly, I talk to myself a lot so it really wasn't that uncommon for me to envision another equine so to speak, though I did remark how young this one sounded for once, asking for help. " Well, I'm Thistlebum, " I reply nonchalantly to my dream friend, reaching again for my tail, eyeing my targeted bud when a sudden, unruly gust of wind just blew it directly into my face, trading my tail for my fetlock. Withdrawing my face to pout and snort my frustration that's when I noticed I had company - real company. It was a bit of an abash moment to discover my dream friend was actually someone and sheepishly I smile. " Well, actually that's a lie, my name is Celebi." I quickly add, spilling my truename like a fleck of dust. A part of me cringed at my transgression, my careless mistake. I half expected an ominous event to happen at this moment, yet at the same time I was relieved... in some really odd way. I was in a new land after all, perhaps the dogma of my home did not apply here. Names do not hold power over oneself like they did there and so far I still felt like myself, no unwilling loyalty or puppetry that I could discern.

Briefly I observe my company, or Micha, as I recall hearing earlier, tilting my head like a curious cat. She is young my company, a year or so into her life by the look of her figure and bay. It was also apparent that she bore no horn, like Solace. An equine, that was the word. Solace was the first of this kind that I had met and how curious that I should meet another so soon. The concept was so new to me I had even asked Solace if he had broken his horn early in his youth. Oops. An ignorance I can no longer speak again at least.

Politely I bow my head in greeting and, again, I'm reminded of my burden as I sight the bare edges of a lavender hue waving in my fetlock, as if to say hello too. " As for my predicament," I say, glaring at the intruding bulb, " I'm at a stalemate." Thankfully I had gotten the reminder from my tail though few still itched on my withers and mane.

" If you don't mind." I implore, pointing to the few that remained, resigning my defeat to the coat invaders.

"blah blah blah."

@[Micha]

Micha Posts: N/A
Unregistered

there's always a spark before a storm

The mare seemed to be deep in self exploration or whatever when she had approached. Although, when the first reply had came, Micha giggled. Thistlebum, what a cute name. She wished she had such a natural occurring name, she ended up sticking Micha to herself. Maybe she could change hers to be more natural too. Maybe like, the Brownbum. Then, Micha was in a fit of laughter. Brownbum?! How could she be so stupid, she was setting herself up for years of torture with that name. Although, she had to admit, she'd be pretty darn close to nature.

Micha had almost laughed her way through the ladies real name, catching the word Celebi at the end. Yet, she still giggled at that too. Her name was cute. Much more girly than hers was, and way more regal. Sounded like a name fit for a princess. "Sorry for laughing Miss Celebi." She said with an embarrassed shuffle of her feet. "I thought of how natural you're name would've been if you had been actually named Thistlebum, and then I decided to name myself Brown..." she fell into another fit of giggles. "bum! GET IT? Like poop!" Tears were starting to prickle at her eyes from laughing. She thought her joke was hilarious. Then she realized, this girl might be royalty! Immediately, she stopped laughing at the royal-named Celebi. Her eyes grew wide, and she immediately threw herself into a bow. "Im so sorry Princess Miss Celebi. I was only trying to make a joke.." She lowered her head ashamed, and then quickly popped up, a thistle too had become tangled in her forelock, and taking a look at Celebi she looked like she was having more problems too! Quickly she shook, her thick mane ridding of the thistle quickly, as it landed beside her body, dying slowly from the source of water it had been ripped from.

Celebi was still in quite the predicament though, and she asked so kindly for help. Gently, Micha reached towards Celebi's body. Her mouth gently tugged on the spikes of the thistles, careful not to swallow them. One by one she began to gently pull them out. Trying to be careful and avoiding making contact with Celebi's skin. Soon, a pretty hefty pile had built up on the ground. "I think I got most of them..." She said, her voice trailing off as she looked to make sure all was well, and hoping she had pricked the poor uni-corn to death. A smile crossed her face as she assessed the situation. Hopefully, nothing was horribly out of place!

"blah blah blah."

image credits to: eagle.