the Rift

[PRIVATE] For Now I Am Winter

Jorogumo Posts: 70
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Filly :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 2 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Selkie

Jorogumo

Throw along youngest stare arms reclaim stars unnamed.

The white flakes fell from the sky, and it reminded the child of falling stars. All around was a luminescent field of white that took her small breath away. Snow was a regular thing within the Basin, but she hadn’t been there long enough for it to become normal, she believed it would always leave her in awe though. With the snow came a saddened mind and bitter heart. She thought of her mother, the mare named for the snow spirit that gathered the souls of those that died in the snow. What right did her mother have to be associated with such beauty? Her mother wasn’t the cold blanket that covered the earth. Her mother was a hurtful memory, and one day, Jorogumo would see the selfish heart. Her child mind couldn’t comprehend why her mother would throw her out.

“I’m just like you,” Jorogumo whispered as she looked up at the sky, speaking to the falling snow. They were all thrown out from their homes, forced away to be on their own. As they fell though, the flakes would find a home, just like she had found one. Maybe all of the members of the Basin were like snowflakes, or maybe Jorogumo was just different. Could it be that she was an outsider amongst her own kind? No, she wasn’t any kind of special snowflake. One day she could make them see her as something great.

Jorogumo looked around her, realizing just how far she had wandered from home. This didn’t particularly bother her, she wanted to see the area she resided in, she wanted to know it. Without any kind of mother, there was no one to stop her from wandering. She could go wherever she wanted whenever she wanted. Lately she found herself secluding herself. Kisaki was nice, but she had a kingdom to run, not a child to worry about. Besides, it wasn’t like the filly wanted a family, or so she believed. There was no denying the heartache she felt when she thought of never feeling the warm touch of a mother again. That was okay though, she could be her own mother, and learn from the others around her. Who needed a family anyways? The warmth of another body would be appreciated on cold nights, but that didn’t mean she needed a family. Maybe a pet could do.

Finally the filly came to a stop and glanced about her surroundings. Before her was a vast field of white, so pure that it made her pale eyes look tainted. An idea flashed through her mind, and a soft giggle escaped from her lips as she charged forward and then slid to a stop. A wave of snow washed over her and a huge grin passed over her lips despite the cold. With the coming of orangemoon, her coat was growing thicker, so she wasn’t constantly shivering as she did the first few weeks of living within the Basin.

“Round we go, the world is spinning,” The little filly sang to herself as she pranced about the field of snow. “When it stops, it’s just beginning. Sun comes up, we live and we cry. Sun goes and then we all die.” Memories of her father singing this morbid little song to her filled her mind. On the rare occasion he would actually dote on her, he typically sang the song to her as she slept. In the end, it was the one of the only things he gave her, a broken heart and a dark little song, such pitiful gifts. Jorogumo had never bonded with her father, but she had appreciated the moments of kindness he showed.

All these thoughts stopped the lighthearted fun. She ceased running about in circles and just stared up at the sky, and watched the snowflakes fall from the heavens and onto her dark body.

@[Vadim]

Image Credits

Icon by Bronzehalo

Vadim Posts: 106
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.1 :: 5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Vlasi :: Common Rougarou :: Water ali

VADIM         

twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
blinded by me, you can't see a thing

It is hard to know of the changing of seasons when one lives continuously in an area that is snow and ice yearlong. He knows nothing of the coming of Orangemoon only of eternal Frostfall. His body has adapted to his chosen home range. The once sleek coat he sported is shaggy, thick and protective. There are times when he thinks about leaving the Steppe, but then he asks himself what is out there for him. He is alone and he has been for some time now and it suits him for the most part. There is rarely a time when he feels loneliness and when he does feel lonely he accesses his magic and creates a friend for himself. Vadim knows that his brother would mock him if he knew that he used his magic to create an imaginary friend.

The stallion's cloven hooves dig at the snow as he searches for food and he knows that whatever food he finds will be lacking in nourishment and he knows that the act of digging up what little food he can burns more energy than what he gets from his food. It is why he appears thinner and more gaunt than he ever has in his young live. He works. He digs and digs, grunting as he does and uncovers nothing and he moves on. The process repeats itself, today with very little luck.

Over the sound of the wind, which is an other constant, he can hear a young voice. The stallion lifts his head, ears perk forward and he listens to her voice. It is faint and interrupted by the wind but it is there and he wonders why someone else would be in the Steppe. Vadim's curiosity drives him forward and the stallion abandons the hole he had been digging in his search for food and he looks for the source of the voice and is surprised when he sees a young foal playing in the snow.

He ventures a few steps closer then stops and watches, remembering when he was her age and followed blindly behind his brother, taking his every order. He wonders even more now why the foal is there, but he does not approach her or interrupt her. Instead he scrapes a hoof across the snow and his search for food begins anew.

"."
ooc:// its not that great, but it'll get better. i promise D:

Credits

Icon by Tay

Selkie

Jorogumo

The child’s attention snapped from the snow when she scented a stranger. Jorogumo watched them in silence, her gaze unwavering. They were white like the snow, and she began to wonder if perhaps she was seeing a snow spirit. Did yokai live in this land? Or did they only live amongst the land of her father? She had heard stories about the various beings that lived within the spiritual realm; she had only believed them to be stories. When she really thought about it, the very idea of a snow spirit was a bit preposterous. Since the stranger didn’t approach she tried to return to her play, but she felt self-conscious with another watching. Maybe if she just pretended he wasn’t there. Yeah, that could do it. She resumed prancing about in circles and singing softly to herself. Exactly what kind of game she was playing remained a mystery, even to her. After awhile she gave up trying to play, because the stranger was still there. Finally she turned her head again and watched him. What were they doing? Why didn’t they leave? An endless amount of questions formed within the little filly’s mind. A brilliant idea popped ino her mind. The stranger would answer her questions, whether they liked it or not.

Jorogumo made her way over, in a subtle manner. The circles she pranced abut in suddenly got bigger, and now they moved. She kept singing her song and ignoring the stranger, making it seem like she was accidentally getting closer. Inside she was feeling quite proud of herself. Wasn’t she just the master of subtle? Conveniently her circle stopped in front of the stranger, who she now saw was a stallion, and who also was one of her own. Where did all the equines and pegasi live? She had yet to see anything other than a unicorn, which was okay because unicorns were lovely. If they weren’t lovely, she wouldn’t be lovely, which in her little mind she was quite brilliant. At least, she found her mind to be quite fantastic.

Jorogumo watched the way the stallion scraped at the snow. If he was trying to dig a hole he wasn’t doing a very good job. She looked back up at him and narrowed his eyes. Was he trying to dig a hole to trap her in? Well, it wouldn’t work now because the filly was brighter than this stallion. She circled about the white stallion for a moment and noticed the peculiar colors that were all about his coat and that tipped his mane. Did the creatures in Helovia bathe in a rainbow to get their odd colors? Oh what a stupid thought, Jorogumo knew that there wasn’t that shade of blue in the rainbow. Or maybe the creatures were here were just freaks… Or maybe Jorogumo was the freak with her black coat, but she did have that strange symbol on her shoulder. So she was a freak just like them all!

Jorogumo then remembered the whole purpose of approaching this stallion. “Why were you watching me? I feel like grownups have a lot of better things to do than watch children play… Like you seem to have a reason for digging a hole.” She asked looking up at him, locking eyes with him. Now was the time to see whether he would be unsettled by her gaze. Was he weak or strong? This would be the test.

@[Vadim]

"blah blah blah."

Image Credits

Icon by Bronzehalo

VADIM         

Vadim is aware of the filly getting closer and he mentally commends her for being slick enough to make it not completely obvious. He allows her to think that he is unaware of her approach and continues to dig in the snow. He finds nothing but bare, icy ground beneath the snow. The stallion takes a few steps, putting distance between himself and the filly then begins to dig some more. This time he finds a few dried wisps of grass that he rips from the ground hungrily. He moves on. The pattern continues in this manner until the filly speaks and Vadim lifts his head and looks at her. The paleness of her eyes is unsettling, but he does not allow it to show in the contours of his face nor in his body language.

The filly's questions continue and Vadim's only response is a silent stare and a twitch of his tail. For whatever reason he feels as if she is challenging him, daring him to look away from those creepy eyes of hers and he acknowledges her challenge and stares unblinking. Flat teeth grind away at a few stalks of dried grass until he swallows and has nothing to keep himself preoccupied. His tail twitches again and he scrapes a hoof across the snow, wanting to go back to digging for meager scraps so he can continue his meager existence.

Finally, he decides it is time for the game to end and he answers the filly's final question of what he was digging for, but it is not in a manner that she might be accustomed to. He taps into his magic and the landscape around them turns into a field of swaying, lush grass. It was what he was digging for, what he craved, what he needed. He wondered if the filly would be bright enough to understand that he was answering her question or if she would think the grass was real and try to eat it only to end up with a mouthful of snow.

@[Jorogumo]
"."
ooc:// its not that great, but it'll get better. i promise D:

Credits

Icon by Tay

Selkie

Jorogumo

His obliviousness to her approach made her feel all the more pleased with herself. Such a skill hadn’t been taught by anyone, but herself. Her stomach twisted in a knot when she found herself wanting to admit her mother was right. No, she wouldn’t give that mare any credit for anything. All her ‘lessons’ led up to her own abandonment. Jorogumo would never understand why her parents wasted so much effort on raising her if they didn’t even pull through. If you’re going to make a child, at least stick make sure they could fend for themselves. Finally the stallion looked at her, and now was the time he would show whether he was one that should someday kneel at her feet or be someone worth her time. For a long moment the filly studied the stallion’s face with great intent. No sign of disturbance appeared on his face. It seemed as though she had chosen wisely when she approached.

No answer came from the stallion’s lips, instead he simply returned an unwavering stare. The corners of her lips turned up slightly in a bit of amusement, but it faded before a full smile could break through the empty expression of her face. In silence the filly watched as he chewed his food and proceeded to not answer his questions. Part of her wondered if she ran into another moronic adult that looked upon her and simply saw a naïve child. Jorogumo knew what she was, and it wasn’t one of those babbling babes seeking merely mother’s milk. She knew her mind was brilliant, and that was of no thanks to any adult. All adults seemed to be good for was gleaning knowledge from.

When the scenery changed, a look of sheer shock crossed over her face. All about her was grass. Something about this wasn’t right. Jorogumo broke her star at the stallion and went to inspect the grass. She lowered her face toward the ground, and found snow. More questions swirled through her head, but instead of asking she decided to answer them for herself. “You’re looking for grass,” She said as the realization hit her. “I think you’re either lazy or can’t speak, but I’m going to go with can’t speak… Because making illusions is a lot more difficult than speaking.” She wanted to ask him how he did it, but she then remembered it he wouldn’t speak so there was no point in asking

The filly studied the stallion again in silence, and in that moment she had made her opinion of him. “I like you,” She declared, “I’m Jorogumo.” Maybe she liked him because of the fact he couldn’t speak, then he couldn't stand there and ask the typical questions that adults do. She didn’t feel like explaining herself to him, especially since he didn’t explain himself. “Do you live up here? I live in the Basin… I got bored though… Staying in a cave by yourself all day isn’t very fun, plus I get kind of lonely with no one to talk to.“ Suddenly she realized that she was rambling, and a bit of embarrassment crossed over her face. “You probably don’t care though… Most adults don’t care, so it won’t hurt my feelings if you just leave. I’m kind of learning I need to pretend nothing hurts.”

The filly looked up at the stallion in silence. Was he lonely to or did he have a family somewhere? Part of her hoped he would be willing to simply stand there and dig so she could continue talking to him, at least she could pretend there was someone interested in what she had to say.

@[Vadim]

Image Credits

Icon by Bronzehalo

VADIM         

Vadim flicks an ear in the filly's direction when she tells him that he's looking for grass, though he has made it very obvious what he's looking for thanks to his magic. He does look at her, though, when she says that he's either lazy or can't speak then decides that he can't speak. He blinks and tilts an ear back against his head as he thinks about it. Maybe he is lazy. Maybe it wasn't the knowledge that everytime he opened his mouth he stuck a hoof in it that kept him from speaking. Maybe it wasn't the countless times that Varath had looked at him like he was a complete idiot that kept him from speaking.

Maybe he was lazy.

The young stallion blinks again when the filly tells him that she likes him. He wonders what he's done to make her like him and as he wonders the illusion that he conjured fades away leaving them standing once more in a winter wonderland. She asks him questions and he continues to stare at her as the questions turn to rambling with no end in sight. Oh, but he finds that he is wrong because the filly soon realizes that she was rambling, says so, and stops. His tail flicks and he attempts to clear his throat and the sound that comes sounds like hooves scraping against stone.

"Vadim." His voice is deep and rough from not being used and as he says his name he stares at the filly, head tilting slightly. "No?" He answers her question of where he lives then thinks again. "Yes?" It is a difficult question to answer with only one word because he lives all over Helovia with no real place to call home. "Jor.. Jorogumo." He stumbles over her name and blinks at her. "Like Basin?"

@[Jorogumo]
"."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Selkie

Jorogumo

Jorogumo just watched the stallion as he simply blinked in response to all of her words. Was that his way of saying I heard you? Or did he just have something in his eye? If she was taller she could perhaps blame the fact that she was breathing in face, but she knew she wasn’t even remotely full grown. She had a ways to go before she reached her full height. All the while during her rambling he simply looked at her, and when she was done he didn’t walk away or leave. Hm, maybe she could keep this adult around. He can’t talk so he couldn’t tell her what to do, and unlike her parents he stood and at least pretended to listen. An awful sound came from his throat. Jorogumo’s face contorted into a look of disgust and a bit of worry. “Ar-“ she was about to ask him if he was alright, but then he spoke. “Oh! So you’re just lazy.”

The stallion gave her what she assumed was his name, Vadim. What a weird name. Everyone in Helovia had weird names. His answer to her question didn’t make much sense, so she just nodded. As he struggled over her name she smiled a bit and nodded.“Yep, Jorogumo. You can call me Joro if you want. Did you know Jorogumo means whore spider? I have no idea what a whore is though…” Then he asked her a question. This one Jorogumo had to think of over. Did she truly like the Basin? “Yes,” She said with a nod. “I would probably like it more if I actually had a family there like the others…”

She felt comfortable around the stallion, and she liked him more than she liked most adults, like that stupid mare that laughed at her, the ugly one with too many horns. Then there was her creepy brother. How come they got a family and she didn’t? The reality of how unfair life was beginning to settle in and it was making her young heart growing cold and bitter. “Do you have a family?” The filly knew he might not answer, but she wondered if he did why he was all alone. Others that left their families shouldn’t have them… Unless their families were bad, like hers was and she was beginning to realize that nothing about hers was good. “I used to, but then my mother decided she didn’t want me anymore. I’ve kinda realized she was a awful mother anyways so I am glad she’s gone.” Bitterness seeped into her tone, and even a bit of anger.

"blah blah blah."
@[Vadim]

Image Credits

Icon by Bronzehalo

VADIM         

The stallion tilts an ear back when the filly comes to the conclusion that he is lazy, which he lets her think without argument. He feels that it makes sense as to why he prefers not to use his voice, but while she is incorrect he feels it highly unnecessary to correct her. He sighs instead and shuffles his hooves against the snow as his search for food continues, punctuated only by the simple words he speaks. It is the filly that makes him stop again and he looks at her, wondering if she was asking in a round about way what a whore was.

Vadim lifts his head and peers around them before looking a the filly and wondering if she is trying to make a joke. What mother would name their child whore spider? Her mother mustn't have loved her too much, is the conclusion he comes to and he sighs. He allows his magic to take hold and he turns the snowy expanse into a barren field and he places a mare in it then he begins to place stallion around her and stops when the count reaches fifteen. He then gives the filly an expectant look as if she would understand by that alone what a whore was. He thinks that maybe she is smarter than he was at her age, but there is no way for him to know for sure.

As the imagery around them begins to fade away she asks him if he has a family of his own and he frowns. Yes, he has a family but can he actually claim them as his family? They are scattered all around Helovia and most seem to want nothing to do with him, and so the stallion shakes his head. No, he does not have any family.

The sun dips below the horizon and overhead the stars begin to come out. Vadim looks up at them then down at the filly and gives a nudge of his head in the direction of the Basin. Go home, the gesture means, but whether or not the filly would actually go home was unknown. Vadim turns and begins to walk away, intent on finding a place sheltered from the wind to bed down for the night.

@[Jorogumo]
ooc:// i figured we could do the darkness plot and have some fun with that :D
"."

Credits

Icon by Tay

Selkie

Jorogumo

Jorogumo caught the way he looked at her when she mentioned the meaning of her name. Her head tilted slightly to the right, but she didn’t ask any questions for once. Was a whore a bad thing? Then all of a sudden there was a barren field where snow once was. In silence she watched the illusions of the mare and stallion. What he precisely was he trying to say? The filly narrowed her eyes, and even after the image faded she stood there forcing herself to piece together what he was possibly trying to convey. The spider child wouldn’t let herself be marked a fool for not figuring out the message. She paced about and tried to figure out what it possibly could’ve meant. Finally she simply decided to guess. “Was that mare some kind of temptress?” Her voice was unsure and shaky.

The way the stallion frowned at her second question, Jorogumo wondered if she had hit a sore spot. “It’s okay if you don’t. Family isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. One day their there, the next they aren’t.” Jorogumo could feel the festering wounds sliced within her heart slowly healing, but she knew her heart wouldn’t ever be the same. The scars would mutate and create dark blemishes upon her once innocent heart. The spider child was oblivious to the callusing that was occurring inside of mind and soul.

Slowly her eyes drift out to the sky as day shifted into night. Oh how she love the stars, so distant and wise. Jorogumo could only imagine the vast knowledge those spheres of light held(as she didn’t realize they were simply balls of gas, and not sentient beings). They would have seen everything amidst the night. Her attention snapped away from her thoughts when she felt the stallion nudge her. The meaning clicked in her brain rather quickly, and she decided for a moment she would not listen to the stallion, and as he started to walk away a brief moment of panic hit her and she charged after him and reached out to grasp but a small mouthful of hairs.

“I want to see you again.” It wasn’t a request, but a demand. “I think we both are tired of being alone... So let's not be alone together” A hopeful expression was written on her face. “I’ll go home for now, but I’ll come looking for you again Vadim.” With that, the filly turned and began to walk back toward the icy kingdom, but she may have glanced back on the way. “I think he’s different than other adults, yes I like him.” She shrugged, deciding not to put too much thought into it for now. The Basin was waiting for her, and she needed to slip in without the notice of any adults.

[At the moment Jorogumo’s account is frozen so then she can’t participate in any new threads due to the fact she posted in the shadowlands. Once her account is unfrozen I’d love for more interaction between these two and to mess around with the SWP, especially since she’ll be a bit traumatized from being omnommed by the darkness.]

@[Vadim]

"blah blah blah."

Image Credits

Icon by Bronzehalo