the Rift

Those Who Wander

abarnard3 Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Trees, Trees and oh look, there's more trees. If I see one more tree... The Arab buckskin mare allowed her grumbling to be cut off by her own laughter. Just a few days ago, she had been saying the same thing about the sand dunes from her native home. The place she was no longer welcome.
She brushed the negative thoughts away with a dismissive swish of her silky tail and listened to the birds chatter noisily in the trees. Other than that, she couldn't hear, or smell another soul. Where was she?
"Hello?" She called out bravely, willing her voice to not quiver. She just wanted some company, but no more trouble.

Arrane Posts: 127
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 5 years
Orinthia
The white stallion wandered the Threshold forest once more in search of more horses that were in need of a home, full of loving family and protection. Arrane was proud to be part of the Foothills, and would never deny it in the presence of other prejudiced horses. Today was another beautiful day for him, even though the sun was beating down on his back on his journey from the sloping hills to the forest.

The looming trees served as a relief for him from the vicious rays of the sun. Entering the woods, he was enveloped by shade and pockets of sunlight here and there. Shadows lurked in the corners, but the stallion would never fear this forest. It was a beautiful place of hope. The birds chattered away high in the trees, and the lad swished his tail with contempt. Farther off, a feminine laugh sounded through out the place, drawing interest.

Pricking up his ears, Arrane picked up pace to find who was the cause of the sound. Cyan orbs caught sight of a buckskin mare, and Arabian like him, calling out. With a friendly smile, the stallion made himself present and spoke with friendly vocals. "Hello Miss", emerging from the trees, he bowed his head with respect. "My name is Arrane of the Foothills", pausing and taking a breath, he continued. "What brings you here on this lovely day?" His voice was sincere, and he kept himself distanced from the mare to not cause discomfort.

Unregistered
Finally ejoying, if not completely relaxing in the peaceful forest, instead of hating the new place that was so unlike her desert home, Arias allowed the chirping birds and warm sun on her fur to relax her. She snatched bites to eat as she moved, eager to either find company, or a clearing to move around in. Being surrounded by so many trees was beginning to feel claustrophobic and so unlike her open desert home.
Swiveling her ears lazily, the mare caught the sound of bushes and branches rustling. Her body tensed as she froze, her fight or flight instincts battling for dominance. Inhaling deeply, she sighed in relief as the musky scent of a nearby horse reached her nostrils. It wasn't a predator. Arias hoped that this equine would be friendly. Seconds later, a fine white stallion emerged from the trees, bowing his head and giving her a friendly greeting... and asking her a simple, innocent question she had no idea how to answer. Should she tell him the truth? Would the friendly stranger chase her away like the others if he knew?
Feeling a bit less wary, Arias bowed as well before speaking, giving him a small smile as she raised her head. "Hello Arrane of the Foothills. My name is Arias. I'm new to the area and enjoying a stroll in this rather large forest. It's like a desert, except with miles of trees instead of sand." Great, I'm rambling, the mare thought to herself, feeling embarrassed. At least that was mostly the truth. He doesn't need to know my whole story. Who knows, he may just want to say hi and move on. You never know with stallions. She turned the subject back to him. "What are you doing in this area? Are you from around here?"

Hidden Account
Orinthia
The mare seemed wary, as did the many other ladies he encountered. He wished they would confide in him, for he usually put on his friendly demeanor, (or flirtatious one), to nicely speak to them, and reassure his passive nature. Guessing by their reactions towards seeing a built stallion like him, they probably had some trauma in the past by other horses. Huffing softly, he watched her bow her head with a timid smile. She was really pretty, and the stallion gazed at her with curious orbs.

Ah, so she was another newcomer from the desert. What a desolate and lonely place, with the lonely expanse of sand and the hazardous rays of the sun. The white stallion was Arabian, and his breed was supposed to be built to roam those desolate lands, but he couldn't stand the sight of an endless stretch of sand. "Interesting", truly meaning it, he opened his mouth to speak again as a slightly breeze ruffled his mane. "It must be a new thing for you to see such a big forest like this", looking around at the trees.

The forest wasn't his forest either. Born by a beach and raised in vast fields by a forest, he was quite used to the open space and warmth of the sun, (unlike how hot the desert is). The mare seemed to talk a lot, but Arrane found it really cute. It was somewhat like what he felt with Brisa when she kept on asking questions. She was now a faded memory, as he decided to escape the past's clutches to move on.

"I live by here in a place called the Windtossed Foothills. I come to the forest to recruit people to our loving community that resides in these hills," pausing, he continued. "I was wondering if you wanted to join. Ask all the questions you want, I'm open for them", with a smile he suppressed the urge to wink at her. His offer was open, and he hoped maybe she would like to see the home he adored so much.

Unregistered
The stallion's offer surprised her, but wasn't that what she wanted? Why she came here? So she could start over? Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Arias reminded herself. Let's keep the small talk going and feel him out. "This is unlike anything I've ever seen at home," Arias breathed, taking a small step closer. Arrane seemed friendly enough, but could he be trusted? "At first, the trees were annoying, but this place is starting to grow on me. Your home, the Windtossed Foothills you called it? It sounds beautiful. I've been wandering for such a long time, looking for a new place to call home." She let her voice trail off again. Why was she babbling like a fool again?

Arias changed the topic again and asked some hopefully, halfway intelligent questions. "Where am I exactly? And how far away is your home from here? I'm interested in starting over, but I don't want to impose. Even if you just allowed me to pass through, that would be helpful..." She didn't want to just pass through, didn't want to keep travelling. Arias was tired of constantly being on the run. She missed the safety of a herd family.

Flicking her tail in frustration, aggravated that she was so double-minded, Arias blurted out, "I'd be happy to join you." She was done running. Let the chips fall where they may. Arias waited breathlessly for the stallion's answer and prayed that she hadn't been too forward. The prospect of looking for another home, after finding such a promising one... she shook her head, her forelock flopping over an eye. She wouldn't think on such negative things. If things didn't work out, well, she knew she could take care of herself. It wasn't that hard.

Hidden Account
Orinthia
With a smile, he realized she thought that his home full of rolling hills and tall grasses, was covered in trees. Quite the contrary. There were sparse forests, and trees here and there. They weren't the looming trees such as these, but shorter, more like tall shrubs. Those trees were beautiful, despite not being like these giants that made up this forest. Arrane wasn't really used to the forest. He needed flat expanses, like what he was born and raised to live on. But of course, the forest was a beautiful wonder, and he greatly appealed to it, but it just wasn't his thing.

"I was just like you, and I agree, the forest does kind of get annoying. I see you seek a home, and I offer you my friendship, along with the other Foothills horses. In my opinion, I do think my home is beautiful", every word was sincere, and his orbs seemed to light up when he mentioned the marvel of the sloping hills with soft grass. "Right now, you are in the Threshold forest, where most newcomers arrive from long journeys. My home is kind of far from here, but it isn't too long, and it is a trot from the hills. If you passed through, you would have to consult with our leader, but he's very kind. You would be some help, and it is only natural that you want to see if the place appeals to you", with an apologetic smile, he realized he was talking a little bit too much. He must be boring poor Arias.

"Well then, you seem unsure, but I sincerely hope you grow to love the Foothills! We'll offer you a good home, and I'll try my best to make you happy there", with a smile, his eyes brightened up again that she obliged to join him and his brethren.

//Do you want me to make a new thread in the Foothills?