the Rift

[OPEN] when will the pain and guilt stop?

Amara Posts: 136
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sameira :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire dark
Amara
We both had grown.

Sameira was now seven months, her body much larger than it was when she first hatched out of her tiny egg. She was now close to fully developed, her muscle mass grown to the point where she is just pure muscle latched to bone and draped in a dark coat. Her markings seemed to flicker with gentle flames every now and then although she was testing her abilities. My leg twitches as I remember when she first discovered her magic, sending a burning branch streaking down my leg. What a pain you are. I look back at her, her head hung low as she walks strides behind me. We.. go? She raises her dual tone gaze, my mind buzzing gently as her youthful words ring through my head. I understood her words, as I myself once spoke with such broken language. To my mother. Sameira simply nods her head as I look back, her oddly long tail carried low behind her.

I knew exactly where she is.

I knew it like the spots on my body, the pattern of my hoof, I knew the exact point in which mommy laid. I halt several yards away, turning to Sameira and letting our voices meet. Sit and stay. Do not move unless I call for you. She lowers her rump, daul tone eyes showing understanding beneath the pale moonlight. Turning, I suddenly realize I face my past alone, no longer accompanied by my bonded friend. Inhaling shakily, I press myself to move on. As though upon instinct, I begin to stall, looking out upon the endless shifting waves, watching the moon's reflection ripple wildly. You're stalling... It was either mommy speaking, or just myself, ushering me to get along with it. Another shaky breath before I take another painful step.

A few more small steps and I halt, the tears brought to my eyes. I remember thinking I was leaking salty water when I first cried, back when... when. Stop. Breathe. I tell myself, closing my eyes for a brief second. How was I so scared of meeting my mommy again? You murdered her, remember? It's your fault she isn't here now. A darker side of me spits, or, at least, what I think to be a darker side. I could never be sure, maybe a vengeful spirit from the Marsh decided to use me as a taxi, to hop around Helovia, bringing destruction and chaos with it. I've had it happen once before, when the Endless night happened, several spirits (both good and bad), had caused such a ruckus in my head. But I had gained a friend from the experience, a poor, neglected little colt whose own mother killed him. I could feel his presence here and now, almost like I could turn my head and stare into his sightless eyes. I swear I feel the gentlest tingle spread through my body, as though he is pressing himself closer to me. 'I will provide you with courage and comfort, now go, face your fears.' His words are but a sweet yet gentle whisper, his sugar-dipped voice ringing through my head. The yearling's presence remained with me as I begin to stride closer and closer to mommy.

I was there.

Finally, I was face to face with the mare I murdered, seeing the eyes of my victim, the cold, hollow frames that once held sparkling amber gems. Of course, never had I seen her gentle amber gaze, because when I was born she was in a heap of her own blood, screaming and flailing herself about. And daddy had blocked most of her from my view, although a few times I had seen her face in a few nightmares of mine. But this time, there was nothing but bone and feather, strewn about in the sand. The bone was intact, and only a few small pieces were either missing or out of place. Only one of mommy's ribs was broken, and that was the one that was split in two and woven into my mane. It seemed to warm up against my neck as I gazed at her body... bones shall I say. What remains of her wings were a few feathers trapped under bone and sand, and a few half-buried bones that were half submerged in water.

I find myself paralyzed before the reassuring warmth of the colt's muzzle against my shoulder helps me regain my confidence. The tears have gathered, seemingly screaming in wait to be released. "I... I can't believe I actually had the courage to let you see my face again. I.. don... don't know... know if I actually.. sh..should..." Alright, my sobbing was getting in the way, my words distorted as I try to speak to mommy, staring down at her bones. "What I.. mean to say is... you... you've missed a lot. I have a... a friend now, Sikeax is... is her name. And I... I even found a... a nice herd. And Seele... she's a nice mare who... took me under her wing... and... I got Sameira... she's a good dog." I could barely manage my words, I was just flinging them out without proper organization, all because my mind was such a jumbled mess of guilt and pain, hatred and fear. For several moments no one speaks (all but the racing waves beside me), there is but silence in the world. The roaring water fades away as I swear mommy's eye sockets glow with a gold light. I watch as its enveloped in blood, her eyes suddenly just there, those once beautiful gold pools now staring back at me. Her tears are blood, leaking out from her eyes. Her jaw bone clicks as it comes to life for the first time in a year. It makes several clicks as her jaw bone moves up and down, words flowing with a choppy rhythm through my head. "How could you leave me?! Your own MOTHER! You LEFT me here to ROT! HOW COULD YOU!?" The gentle touch to her eyes has left, leaving a demonic tone to her eyes. Her head swiveled so she could look at me head on. I couldn't tell if this was a reality or if it was something I was doing on my own, simply scaring myself into more guilt and pain.

Stop torturing yourself. The colt's voice whispers, a gentle sigh on the wind. But my living, waking nightmare was out of control. I can't stop myself from creating such a dark reality. Sameira! I wail, our mental bond shaking with my immediate, shaken notes. She races to me, panic in her eyes as she sees my expression. Thankfully the sight of her reassured me (some way or another), and my mind drops the act, leaving mommy's bones where they were prior to this happening. Small beads of sweat have formed above my skin, yet I somehow feel cold. A'right? Sameira approaches cautiously, looking up into my eyes. Nodding my head gently, I breath in and sniffle, the tears still streaming from my face. The flowers Sameira had been carrying in her mouth had been dropped, petals scattered across the beach, twinkling in the moonlight.

[(un)happy birthday 'mara]

Ricochet the Incendiary Posts: 133
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hands :: 5 years Buff: BULK
Blu

R I C O C H E T - - raise your GUN and it's over

Clouds of crystalline silver smoke billowed from his nostrils as he moved, frost and moonlight turning his buttermilk coat to pearl, glittering in a thousand muted shades of gray. The dark of his mane and tail was rich and deep against the clandestine white of his star-brushed coat, and he shone with a dull light.

Ricochet moved at a languid pace, just quick enough to keep his hot blood thrumming through his red veins but slow enough that he did not tire. During the first weeks of autumn, the temperature had plummeted without warning, giving his body little time to grow out a winter coat- still, he had acquired a thick fuzz that was particularly luxurious beneath his jaw and fetlocks. Grains of wet sand clung to his hooves with a stubborn vigor, and he had long stopped trying to knock off the grit. Every once and a while, he paused to look out over the tides, nares flaring to pick up the stench of decay and salt, before moving on, keeping out the cold.

Lagging on his trail came Guns, who, invigorated by the ocean breeze, capered and frolicked at his heels, darting every which way after little pinching crabs and biting at sand fleas which seethed in the ground beneath their feet. The Incendiary was envious of his dog’s foolish happiness- it was impossible to get the dog unhappy, though he never had exactly tried. He was not that kind of cruel.

The whisper of the ocean sucking at the shore keened mournfully in Ricochet’s ears, a continuous murmur that lulled him into a state of security that was difficult to shake. It was peaceful. Quiet, dark, the only sight for miles the white-topped waves crashing down on the shore. How quickly such a concept had become foreign to him- peace! Grazing and pawing through the sand, watching his dog romp and roll, having the very time of his short life. Gunslinger would tell him to toughen up, that peace could only happen later, at the removal of those that threatened that elusive hope there would be a dawn where the equines ruled… the Incendiary’s ears flickered back, pinning to his skull momentarily before twitching forwards.

These were the moments that did not make him angry. Here, walking on a beach shining with moonlight, he would not dream of death and destruction. For once, he would breathe easy, and choke back the scent of rotting kelp and washed-up corpses happily.

He inhales hungrily.
Guns goes flying by him, every wavy hair illuminated by the white thread of the constellations.
And his peace is shattered by the barks of his dog, torturously loud in the relative quiet.

Shut up! Ricochet snarls, spittle flying from his sooty lips, splattering the wet sand with white foam, and his heart pumps louder in his chest, thudding against his ribcage as the familiar sensation of anger presses on him. “SHUT UP!” He shouts louder in frustration, but the dog keeps on barking, flying towards a dark figure who was a plain shade of monotonous gray in this black-and-white world.

A shape with wings.
Guns goes quiet, falling back towards his companion's hooves, and Ricochet halts, memories lingering over another mare he met not so long ago, white as fresh-fallen snow and now burned.

He wonders if the pegasus will be stupid enough to approach him- him in all his scarred, volatile glory.

HP: 49.5
We want you for the Equine Empire.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Your heart's a mess,
you won't admit to it, it makes no sense.
And you, you can't live like this.

The water clung to the memory of a summer sun's scorching rays, tried so desperately to hold out against the cold of the darkness, but bit by bit it slowly let go. Steam rose from the restless surface, so faint he could barely make it out against the navy backdrop of the sky. The steam which rose in front of his face was harder to miss. With each steady exhalation it rose, betraying his ghastly presence to be solid—mortal—and not simply some phantom come to haunt the shore, a lonely, lost sailor's soul tugged under by the sea. His steps glowed, touched by the opalescent moonlight, until the warmth of the water melted the lingering frost and left his path dull, and darkened.

Earlier that night, he'd often stopped to peer over his shoulder, to watch the lonely set of prints he'd left behind, to marvel at the dull thud of his heart, and its whispering voice, saying there should be a second set there, all lined with frost, too. But Sarazheha had returned north. There was only Mauja and the night wind, and the owl riding so far above, a quiet spectator—only Mauja, and his heart full of secrets.

Truly, not that much had changed, but a shift in his awareness. He was still who he was, or at least, he hoped so. Surely he wouldn't start hating yellow just because he'd made up his mind to stop lying to himself? Or had his like for the color yellow always been a lie?

It was at times like these, in the moonlit hours of the night, that he felt like flipping down face-first and burying himself in the wet sand. He wasn't getting anywhere, only anguishing about the same things over and over. How long had he been back? Not even a season. How many old faces had he run into, to test his mettle, to see his reflection in their eyes and actions? Aside from Kou and Frost Fyre that day in the Threshold, a grand total of one: d'Artagnan. Strangers? Uhm, about two or three, maybe. Useless.

He wasn't sure why he was so obsessed with "figuring himself out" or "getting somewhere", but whatever the reason, what he was doing now wasn't helping with either.

So, he kept going. Not much else to do. The waterline lapped at his feet and pulled back, as if burned by his cold touch, and his mind settled into the dull rhythm of walking, toying with the memory of Sarazheha's rather magnificent arrival at the Throat shore half a year before. The wind had whipped itself into a frenzy, formed a wedge powerful enough to strike Mauja down onto the restless, bucking ground, and, thankfully, kept the Pegasus warriors grounded, unable to follow as he swam out to sea. I miss you.

He didn't know where his obsession with his brother came from, either.
Maybe it was just a pleasant distraction, or suppressed wishful thinking for a savior. Maybe, after all this time, he was the one who needed a hero.

The taste and scent of brine was familiar. Once, it had been his daily companion in the Edge, but that had been so long ago.. he barely remembered it. The bitterness was giving in to time, to defeat. He sighed, smoke rising to the sky, and he watched it with blue eyes, wishing he, too, could rise like that. And when it faded, his gaze shifted its focus, found something else. Outlined against the starry horizon stood a young horse, still not fleshed out enough for her skeleton, with wings folded against her sides. Something smaller, canine-like, walked with her; Irma swept in lower, broad wings flared wide to catch the night air. It was a mare, maybe a year old or so, with lighter spots dappling her chest and neck. The dog was some kind of hound, obviously close to her. She seemed vaguely familiar, but he couldn't quite place it. Irma's vision swept on, wheeled further out; this was a stallion, an adult, compact of build and pearly bright in the moonlight. He, too, had a dog.

Mauja's hooves had stopped moving, and he stood motionless, a marble statue awash with silver light: simply breathing, heart just beating, waiting.

You will never come alive from the sidelines.
Mauja Frosthjärta
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Amara Posts: 136
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sameira :: Royal Hellhound :: Hellfire dark
Amara
The yapping of another canine alerts Sameira, her ears flickering back as she smells the creatures. Her ears flatten and her back glistens with the light of fire, flickering blue. Her dual tone eyes gleam with a protective sheen. Her lips draw back and her tail swings rapidly as she prepares for attack. I look at her, puzzled. Never had she done such a thing as this, snarling and setting aflame in such an aggressive way. Sure, she's growled and drawn her lip when I tried to take away her meal, but never like this. In this moment, it seems like she really meant what she was doing.

I hear it first.

The sound of an enraged male, which makes me turn my head. He seems to be yelling at the dog, which must be barking at us. I watch as the mouthy canine roams closer after the second screech of his bonded. I pause that thought, for wouldn't the stallion scream mentally to his bonded and not aloud for all to hear? I gently tilt my head as I stare at the grey stallion, the moon's light barely an aid to me in the night. I realize something now, the figure has stopped, and the dog has returned to his side.

Fo'low, Sameira whispers to me, motioning with her snout that she was going to approach the stallion and his hound. With no objections, I begin to follow with little hesitation, mommy's voice gently breezing past. Don't!... But her voice has faded to nothing but a soft brush of wind in my ears. Her warning is gone now, just a freshly pressed whisper, leaving my mind tingling. I creep along behind Sameira, whose fancy fire magic illuminates her tail, leaving a trail of blue flames down her spine. A flash of white streaks across my vision, drawing my eyes from Sameira. I glance up, realizing an owl has swooped down from the skies, its body a shimmering silver in the moonlight. I watch the bird as it surveys us, my ears flickering back in agitation. Sameira prods me with an invisible finger, signalling that I was slowing.

She halted a few yards from the stallion and his canine, Sameira's lip drawing back. Upon closer inspection, I nearly let out a scream, horrific images greeting my amber eyes. A scarred face is what I am met by, the studs' face marked by a past meeting of fire, the skin scarred over in such a manner it turned my insides. The darkness of the night makes his scar seem eerie, only half his face illuminated, the fairly unmarred half. My spine tingles, the colt's voice whispering gently, I don't like him. I can feel him press himself closer to me, his voice putting me into a cautious state. I narrow my brows, then glance at the dog the stallion was yelling at. "You should treat your bonded kinder." Is all I allow myself to say, watching Sameira nod her head in agreement before assuming her I'm-ready-to-kill-you position.

Ricochet the Incendiary Posts: 133
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hands :: 5 years Buff: BULK
Blu

R I C O C H E T - - raise your GUN and it's over

Out of the corner of his eyes, Ricochet glimpses a silver ghost, a bone-white figure in the distance, and above he senses movement, a flicker of moonlight white feathers and ghostly silence following it. His voice rattles too loud in his scarred ears, and he falls silent abruptly, finding himself suddenly uncomfortable with his brash shouts among the whisper of the briny waves and the murmur of the gentle wind. Only moments after, Guns goes quiet too, and without his barking, he disappears into the shadows, melting in the darkness like a beaten coward.

There is only the crunch of sandy grit beneath his hooves.
The anger ebbs away from his chest, and the tension leaks from his rigid muscles. It was stupid of him, to get so wound up over something so simple. His dog was barking, and probably for good reason- why was it that he felt the need to shriek, to interrupt this still night, especially when he so rarely could enjoy the simple taste of salt and the ocean breeze ruffling through his ashen mane? Ricochet did know. He knew that he was goaded into action too easily by too small of issues, and that he was an idiot for it. It was only recently had he begun to take steps to withhold his tongue, as Gunslinger had told him to do for so long. At long last, the Incendiary was beginning to mature, and realize that he could not fight everyone he met, as he had done for so long.

Sometimes, it was better to think (even if he rarely tried to stop and think himself.)
Bound in shades of gray, the young mare who does not quite fit her skin approaches him, a second shadow at her hooves. Ricochet’s eyes harden warily, before relaxing, noting the youth in her gangly legs and slim chest, the wings too large for her young body. More concerning then the willow-thin girl was a canine, as different from Guns as an equine was from hybrid. It was of strong build, wiry and thin, almost emaciated, but it still retained a muzzle full of fangs. If there was any threat, it would be the dog he would worry more about than the girl, truth be told. A filly was just a filly- a predator was a predator.

The canine’s hackles are up, illuminated by threads of glacial cold moonlight, pale luminescence that glitters in it’s retinas, teeth bony white in the Orangemoon night.

Ricochet’s teal eyes flick up and away from the hellhound, resting on the pegasus’ face. There is a glint of fear, of illness in her features as she catches sight of his black scars disfiguring the side of his face, and the Incendiary’s mouth twists scornfully. She’s afraid of me. Or at the very least, he unnerves her, and he takes it with a grain of salt, faintly pleased. He likes being intimidating, the feeling of being feared (at least by those with wings and horns.) It buoys him up, makes him ever the more arrogant.

Her voice is innocence in its purest form, full of unintentional lyrical sadness, and the stallion lets his eyelids drift shut. Woven into her tone is a threat, a warning, but he cannot find it in him to be afraid, or even act afraid, around her. She is fragile as glass, no matter how tough and strong and twisted her dog might be.
If he were to be truthful, he almost pitied her for it.

“He’s not my bonded.”
Ricochet says instead, tail flicking across his milky flanks, tightening his jaw imperceptibly. The dragon egg that he had dreamed of taking for his bonded had been shattered long ago, with any love for that elusive species ruined by Smoke’s glittering blue. Another mark had been left by Zaffre; the scar lean and mean across his face that was constant reminder of his vulnerability as well as his strength. “And if he were, it’s not your place to be lecturing me on how to take care of my bonded. I don’t go around telling strangers how to do shit, and neither should you. Someday someone will take a bite out of you for it.”

Just as he had taken a bite out of Alina.

HP: 49.5
We want you for the Equine Empire.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Your heart's a mess,
you won't admit to it, it makes no sense.
They took little notice of him. He was but a quiet spectator in the night, a ghost lost in the darkness by the shore—no one, nothing. Unknown, forgotten by the world. His heart was oddly light as he admitted to having failed, a long time ago. Shouldn't such an admission be accompanied by bitterness, burdens and aimless anger? Instead, he felt detached, as if he was observing an event which didn't particularly concern him. You could always rise up again, Irma suggested while circling his two fellow wanderers, wings beating steadily. Her keen eyes picked out most details, allowing Mauja to remain where he was.

It hadn't always been so. The days before he received her egg seemed unimportant somehow, even though they had been the days of his glory. But as far as his heart was concerned, they held no importance. They even seemed dead. The soul twined around his brought life with it, little nuances and shifts, observations; a few years ago, if he wanted to know what went on between those two with him on the beach he would've had to walk up to them. Now, he could remain here.

Had it turned him into a coward?

The black dog's barking had gone silent, as had the shouts of the pale stallion. The lull of water against sand remained as the only sound, the soft steps of the mare and her hound too distant for his ears to pick up on. His ears flicked back, once, then forward again. The silver wash of moonlight made it all seem a dream, surreal, nothing but ghosts moving in the thick afterlife fog. Unwilling to be left adrift, separated from their dreaming, Mauja drew himself forward, a quiet and graceful phantom trailing after the girl. He kept his distance as she moved in across the dunes, towards the stallion, speaking chiding words as her dog bared its fangs. Mauja remained at the water's edge, breath pooling thoughtfully into the cold autumn air. Was it bravery, or idiocy, to approach someone like that, and reproach them for their treatment of their companion? She was so young, so small, compared to them both—but maybe her heart was larger than her body. Blue eyes grew distant, his pulse light and fleeting. He'd followed his imagination into the mists, became a creature of the veil himself; Irma picked up on the stallion's response. His words did not mix with his voice, not when he wasn't screaming anymore. His voice was too tame in the moonlit dark.
Mauja Frosthjärta
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here