the Rift

little lamb [open]

Ned Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Unicorn | Stallion | Ten | 14.0 hands

It had been a mistake going back to Isilme, but there had been a driving force behind Ned leaving Helovia's safety and charging back into the embrace of a war torn land. It was that colt, Jackal, Silverline's colt, that had been the driving force. Having to admit to the colt that he hadn't known if his parents had made it out of Isilme had nearly broken him. The look on the child's face upon hearing that there was no news of his parents survival or death had haunted Ned. It drove him to search for answers.

In the end all he was met with were bloated, rotting corpses and hoards of shades waiting for fresh meat. He didn't remember how he had gotten past them in the gateway, but he made it all the way to the Tides where he searched for Silverline and Aerwen. The sheer amount of bodies should have stunned him, but he was a veteran of war. He had seen similar in Vanthra and he had killed in far more gruesome ways than the shades had. He never did find Silverline or Aerwen's bodies. There was no trace of their deaths, but neither was there trace of the pair's survival. The shades forced Ned out of Isilme once more, their razor sharp bodies adding to the multitude of cuts and scars that already adorned his body.

Now he stood in Helovia's Threshold, his white coat caked with blood from the many cuts the shades had left him with. His left shoulder ached and throbbed with overuse. It had been many years since it had been sliced open, the muscle parting nearly to the bone. It had healed, but not properly and while it usually did not bother him it did now. He knew it was because of the running he'd done in Isilme to stay ahead of the shades and the running he'd done to escape. It left him weary, but he never had been one to give in to weariness or aches and pains.

There was a limp to his walk, but Ned pressed on, leaving Isilme along with Sliverline and Aerwen's fates behind him. He had no answers for the colt once again, but it was something they would both have to live with.

Horses: colourize-stock | Breathless-dkBackground: resuregesky: em4nu@flickr.comManip: AquiloniusLupus

Ricciardo Posts: N/A
Unregistered

R I C C I A R D O
The Sandman.

Another way of feeling more accepted into the Edge herd was of course, to become part of an active soul-searcher. Having already crossed through the Threshold, the flame-kissed brute had some knowledge of the place already. The moss and olive colours of the frondescence and herbage was strikingly beautiful, but the heat of the Tallsun had taken its toll. The entire place was choking with thirst.

With a lighter crown and a fairly content feeling with himself, Ricciardo knew from instinct that he was in a better frame of mind and this would certainly help if he came across any strangers. The intelligent mind of the burly brute calculated what he thought was acceptable to bring back to herd. And right in front of him stood one of the many that were exactly what he was looking for.

A horned alabaster sir. He had orbs of charcoal, a horn that looked menacing without the need for its tip to be pierced into the flesh. His pelt was covered in scars with blood oozing. He wondered what exactly had happened to this brute. Concern spread across his orbs, he paced cautiously forward until he was close enough to speak with the stranger.
Goodness me, what happened?" It was the first thing that, stupidly, passed through his velveteens. Before making himself seem anymore rude, he politely added onto this, with a formal and friendly enough tone, Where are my manners...? I am Ricciardo, a Sandman. I am from the World's Edge herd. If you are looking for a place to be I would gladly take you to be approved by one of the higher ranks?We are always looking for horned equines." He dipped his crown respectfully, still eyeing the scars and questioning the past of the brute. He waited for a reply, not expecting any good one since he had never done such a thing before. The flame-kissed beast did not even know if it was a good idea to do to such a thing, perhaps he should have let Mauja or one of the higher ranking herd members do this...

Unregistered
Unicorn | Stallion | Ten | 14.0 hands
Ned lifted his head and turned his charcoal gaze on the red stallion that had approached him and asked what had happened. Was he blind? With the cuts and scars that littered his body it was obvious that he had been fighting. His thick tail slapped against his flanks as his limping gait halted. His ears tilted toward the stallion and he snorted quietly, but before he could speak the red one was speaking again.

"Ned." He said, his voice cracking from disuse. The little white stallion cleared his throat before speaking again. "Ye be lookin' fer horned equines." He stated. "Why not winged or just plain equines?" Again, his tail slapped against his flanks, but he was still otherwise, his dark gaze studying the red beast.

"I be returnin' from a land reeling with the effects of a race war." He informed Ricciardo. "I be havin' no interest in a herd that only be allowin' unicorns." Ned already assumed that the red one would claim there was no racism. He might be right, but even if there was no racism there was elitism and he wanted no part of it.

Horses: colourize-stock | Breathless-dkBackground: resuregesky: em4nu@flickr.comManip: AquiloniusLupus

Unregistered

R I C C I A R D O
The Sandman.

The rashness from the wounded brute was of one that seemed to be scarred with the devastation of war, this was something that Ricciardo himself understood. He caught a glimpse of his tail whistling through the slight breeze as it wrapped around his alabaster rump. The wound that seeped with blood stood out like an eyesore, and a painful one at that. A small sense of pity overcame the soul inside the flame-kissed mass, it was apparent to his own mind but he made sure that he would not emit this feeling out to the stranger. Weakness was in emotion, but it was not for the sake of himself this time that he kept it to himself. The brute imagined how difficult it must be for what he guessed to be a warrior as the newcomer that stood be shown pity. It was almost like he'd be judged for it and Ricciardo knew that he himself would not wish to be shown any concern from strangers. It was improper, and made him feel weak.

Dipping his head in acknowledgment towards the brute, who now named himself, he listened keenly with his flame-kissed ears pricked forward atop his fairly handsome crown. The way that Ned spoke was hard on the ears of the beast; he himself had been brought up in such a different way and the different in tongues was apparent. But thankfully, he could understand with ease. It almost gave even more character to the bleached brute, as did the serated edged horn.
"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Ned."

After clearing his throat, Ned had continued to speak. Being an intelligent sir, the Sandman knew that perhaps honesty was best in this situation. In his pools, Ned was not going to be the newest member to the Edge, after being so insistent on the policy of racism. And in all fairness, the sorrel agreed. Whilst he was more comfortable with his own kind, the horned, he knew that supremacy above the other races was not the best path to lurch down.
Ned has also spoken of a race war in a different land, this helped Ricciardo to form the judgment that persisting on offering the Edge as his homeland would not be appreciated.

With a shake of his burly neck, he replied in a tone full of sincerity and almost apology that he could not offer what Ned sought. "I did not mean to cause offence, sir," he continued in the hope of remaining on neutral terms with the brute. Silently he prayed to the Gods that he could perhaps even make friends with the bleached brute, he seemed of good heart and after all, Ricciardo was evidently lonely in his state. With no one to talk to in his own herd, nevermind the rest of Helovia, a friend was something he did desire. Aside from the schemes and the calculations that he made in order to be of value to the Edge, the flame-kissed steed knew that having bonds with creatures was most important.
To be loved is greater than being alone in high stead, he scolded his own being. Was the Sandman changing his ideas on what he actually wanted? With a quick re-focus back onto the task that lay at hand, he continued his speech, "I respect your thoughts, and I most agree with you, Ned. War between races is something that I particularly do not want to be part of, but if you feel that way then perhaps the World's Edge wouldn't take your fancy." He sighed, and gave the alabaster a once over with his sandy pools and carried on, his voice tainted with perhaps even regret for his choice. "Between you and me, I know why the Edge only accepts unicorns, and I personally do not agree. But I came from a place where our kind were the only ones, and it suited me better to be in a herd of the same kind. But perhaps I made a mistake, there is no love there for me, I'm like an outsider..."

He turned away from Ned and gazed out to the horizon, wondering if he himself would ever settle fully here. It was not as he had expected, and bit by bit he was beginning to realise this. Feeling most dejected, he then turned his gaze back round to the stranger, giving him the other options that lay before him: "If you wish for a herd, Dragon's Throat and the Foothills are your best bet. Perhaps I shall almost certainly be scolded for it, I could perhaps walk with you to either if you desire to join one of those herds?"

What are you doing Ricc...? The voices inside his head questioned his judgement, but they were not going to let his determination dwindle.

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

I WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN AND THE BITTER TASTE
OF THE BLOOD ON MY LIPS, AGAIN

Paladin the Valiant had spent far too much time in the Foothills for his own comfort, but his wounds needed to heal. Now, he had tested his strength against Smoke and emerged victorious; the stallion was himself once again. Proudly and boldly, the black dun moved through the forest, muscular pinions shifting powerfully beneath his form. Perhaps more had found their way to Helovia and escaped the wrath of the shades, and he hoped to find a few of his old friends at the borders.

Much to his surprise, a familiar figure stood in the distance accompanied by one he did not recognize. Was that who he thought that was? The Valiant easily moved his stride into a faster, three-beated gait, closing the gap between himself and the others rather quickly. Once in their vicinity, he popped his stride back into a trot and let out a whicker of joy at the sight of his old friend.

Thought the sight of one of Silverline's former warriors made the black dun's heart constrict in his chest; he dearly missed his fallen, silver brother. The lamb was covered in newly formed cuts and bruises, and Paladin frowned deeply. "Ned," he spoke to the other stallion, his voice both full of sorrow and joy at once. "I am pleased to find you alive and well. Do you hail from Isilme? Are there any still living?" he asked, a small sliver of hope burning in his crimson eyes.

Then, the dark, horned stallion turned to face the stranger, and his crimson eyes scanned his figure with the analytical scrutiny of a warrior. He was fit young stallion, his coat reminding of his dear, soft Tides, but Paladin still stood slightly taller - not by much. "Greetings," he spoke in his deep, rumbling voice. "Which land do you represent, and what are you called?"

Alisier Posts: N/A
Unregistered

The little colt was not one to wander- he enjoyed his mothers' company and found himself to be less adventurous as he was always assumed to be. When Tares slept, however, and he was left restless beside her hearing the sounds of his family's breathing only faintly as the forest called him closer, he found it hard to resist the temptation to leave his mothers' and brother's sides.

And so Alisier found himself trotting gaily through thick and unfamiliar woods that were coated red in the light of Orangemoon, with his short tail bobbing behind him and his frail little wings spreading out eagerly to stroke the wind that passed him by. He was only faintly aware of the strange sensation of being alone for the first time and the fact that being without another left him defenseless. To him the journey away was no more than an innocent walk that ended with him placed in the company of three other unicorns and an uncomfortable situation. Even as young as he was he could sense the tension as the smallest of the three spoke of race and discrimination, things that were all foreign concepts to the child. He himself was the product of mixed race and magic, even if he didn't know it. Thin and small as he was, he still bore proudly a curved obsidian horn and golden eagle wings. Wings which were, to him, not means of flight so much as strange appendages to fold and stretch in curious ways for his own amusement.

As he drew closer, his head bent automatically lower to the ground in instant and unintentional submission and his horn trailed through the dirt, while his wings nervously fidgeted. It was clear to him that in comparison to himself they were all in positions of power, and instantly he respected that. Shyly he curved himself around the trunk of a massive tree, letting its rough bark scrape his baby soft side as he took a few easy steps forward and landed himself beside Riccardio. He took comfort in the large stallion's dark brown hues and how they matched his own, and knowing nothing of herd politics, Alisier saw no harm in letting his wing grace the older unicorn's knee as he passed him by.

"Huh... Hi sirs," Alisier spoke shyly, looking up at Riccardio with massive yellow green eyes before turning to Ned and then, at last, Paladin. Of them all, Alisier found himself most intimidated by the Valiant. There was something about the way the black stallion held himself that left the young colt feeling slightly anxious, even if he did appear friendly with the white stallion before them all.
stock

Unregistered

The red stallion was quick to backtrack and apologize for offending him, which caused the shorter white stallion to snort. Apologies instead of defending himself. How typical. More and more he found himself happening upon those who were quick to apologize for their own views rather than defend them. If this stallion were an example of the Edge then Ned definitely didn't want to claim a place among their ranks. The stallion continued to speak, saying that he didn't agree to the reason the Edge only welcomed Unicorns. "Then why live in the Edge?" It made little sense if any at all, but then his question was answered. Ned snorted again. "Ye be an outsider because ye make yerself one." he stated. "Ye roll over and accept som'n ye don' be agreein' with." He had at one point in his life, too.

No more. Never again.

The sound of his voice spoken in a very familiar drew the little stallion's gaze from Ricciardo. His expression softened slightly when he saw Paladin and, in a show of respect for his former king, Ned bowed to him. "Lord Paladin." The questions that followed were questions that Ned assumed would be asked. "Aye, I be comin' back from Isilme." He confirmed. "But the only things that be movin' around are the shadow monsters. The tides be littered with bodies. The water runs red with blood." The only sound of life that could be heard was the buzzing of flies around the bodies that rotted in the sun.

Moments later a foal arrived, effectively silencing Ned's talk of death and blood. He studied the little colt, his head tilting. "Hello there, little'un." he said to the foal. "Where be yer mother?" He looked far too young to be traveling on his own. The feathers on his wings hadn't even grown in enough to permit him flight.

NYCMarins.flickr.com

Deceased
Tamme

Paladin chuckled a little when Ned bowed and shook his head in amusement. "I am no longer Lord Paladin," he replied gently. "I am just now coming out of retirement." The former King of the Tides sobered then to ask about his former home, praying that the shades were allowing the survivors some respite. Apparently not.

The expression on Paladin's face fell, and his crimson eyes filled with sorrow. "So many lost..." he murmured to himself, lowering his neck in a brief symbol of defeat. "Had there been a way to save them all, I would have stayed, but they came out of nowhere in the middle of battle. I thought I had lost my family." He knew that Ned had also been close to his friend Silverline. "Have you seen our silver warrior? Is he among the dead?" Paladin asked, his heart constricting in his chest.

Moments later, a small, feathered foal approached, and the black dun smiled kindly. Still, his appearance made even his expressions of kindness appear menacing with his crimson eyes and charcoal and crimson coat. He seemed shy, and he waited for Ned to speak. "Do you need us to take you to your mother?" Paladin asked with mild concern, though he understood the need for young boys to explore and come into their own. Thus why Varath and Vadim were running around Helovia. Little hellions.

"Or are you exploring?" Paladin asked with a conspiratorial grin.

Unregistered

R I C C I A R D O
The Sandman.

Even whilst he was speaking to Ned, a monochrome brute gifted with scarlet orbs and tints of the same hue upon the fringes of his silks had arrived. He guessed that by the way he spoke to the pale beast that they were old friends, or something along those lines. So many strangers, the flame-kissed beast announced to himself with a slight smile. The Sandman understood the value of knowing the majority of an area, even if it meant they were not to be considered friends - just the sense of belonging could be strengthened if he knew most of the creatures that resided in Helovia. The stranger spoke, polite and with some form of authority about him. It dawned on the sorrel sir that everyone had their past, and this one could have been a king of some sorts in his own rights, from wherever he came from. Dipping his head respectfully of the stranger, he answered in a light tone,
Greetings stranger, I am Ricciardo, a Sandman. I do not originally from here but I am part of the World's Edge herd... He trailed off with a little mental kick in his mouth, he was beginning to dislike the thought of being part of that herd. But he knew it was what he must do to make sure he wouldn't end up a lonely old brute.

The little figure of a colt had landed right beside the Sandman. Barely old enough to have left his mother's belly, the little sir hardly belonged away from her. His dual appearance of bearing a horn and wings astonished Ricciardo - so it was possible to conceive a horned and winged child? A sudden feeling of longing for a child of his own almost drove him to act as father to the little one, but he held himself back. This chap was a stranger to him, not blood-related. It'd be practically suicide for him to act in such a foolish way. The little cold spoke as he looked up into his sandy-coloured orbs, a small, terrified little greeting to the three horned brutes. The other two were asking him about his intentions of wandering so far from his mother, but he simply smiled at the little fellow and proceeded to inquire his own trail of thoughts to the little one, "No need to be afraid, little stranger. Having fun?" His voice was soft, in no way demeaning. Even as a child, this one would not appreciate being looked down on. With a grunt he turned himself back to his initial conversation - the talk of racism and the past.

Ned had a point. The bleached brute spoke of why he was in a herd that he didn't necessarily agree with, but it was the fright of being an outcast that made him stick close within their own territories and remaining faithful. "I guess I am not what you would call brave, for I could not tear myself away from the herd if it means I am to live alone, Ned." he looked down on the herbage before gazing straight back at the brute once more, "In truth though, I have no desire to be part of whatever they may think. I have my own opinion and I will not fight for something I do not believe." His words were not just confirmation to the wounded alabaster, but also to himself. This was final. And then he caught onto what it was that Paladin and Ned were discussing. He had heard of these lands from two others that had escaped from these shadows, but it made him feel cold to the core at the sound of the dead walking and killing mercilessly. He shivered slightly, but did not go ahead and disturb their flow of conversation, it did not concern him. Instead he turned back to the little cold, and asked, "As you have probably heard, I am Ricciardo. May I have your name?" He smiled once more, trying to comfort the little soul.

Unregistered

Ned snorted when Paladin informed him that he was no longer 'Lord Paladin'. To Ned the black dun would always be Lord Paladin just as Silverline and Echelon would always be his Generals and his brothers. He shook his head at Paladin's next question. "Nay." He said, not knowing if he felt saddened or relieved that he had not found the bodies. "I did not find his body among the dead." He hadn't found Nik, Ruka, Marian, or Irene, either.

The young foal ignored all of their questions, so Ned paid him no mind and, instead, focused on the sandman when he began to speak. He didn't understand the stallion's reasoning for not leaving a herd that seemed to be elitist at best, but who was he to question it? "Lord Paladin." He said, shifting his dark eyes to the tall stallion. "I be lookin' for a herd and I be suspectin' you can give me a place to be callin' home."

ooc:// sorry for the sucky post :T
NYCMarins.flickr.com

Deceased
Tamme

Paladin's expression was wary when the chestnut told him that he was from the Edge. Why would such a mild mannered soul be tangled in with that entire mess? "If you find their company to be intolerable, you are welcome to come to the Foothills." He said to this Ricciardo with a bow of his head.

The thought of Silverline's body not being found among the dead brought him hope, but his soul felt like crying. So many were lost, and they had been his responsibility. Crimson eyes filled with sorrow, and he closed them, bowing his head in a gesture of defeat. The noble stallion looked lost, broken. "I miss him," he rumbled quietly, inhaling a breath of bittersweet air.

Ned said that he was looking for a home, and Paladin smiled, lifting his neck a little. "Indeed," he replied to his pale friend. "And a position of warrior if that blood still beats within your heart." The stallion eyed the other unicorn respectfully and nodded his head in kindness. "You are welcome to join, if you wish." He added.

Unregistered
continuing on so ned can get out of the threshold

Ned nodded his head solemnly in agreement with Paladin. He missed not only Silverline but Echelon, Zawodnik, Ruka, Marien, and Irene. They had all traveled long and hard in their search for Silverline only to have their reunion cut short by the army of the undead. It was terribly lonely traveling alone. He still sang Echelon's song, but it was not the same without the bigger stallion's booming voice. Fighting alone was terribly lonesome, too. It was quiet without his brothers shouts of encouragement and worry.

His dark gaze had taken on a edge of sadness, but that dissipated quickly when the dark stallion offered him a position as warrior in the herd. "The heart of a warrior only stops when he dies, Lord Paladin." The pale stud answered. He dipped his head. "It would be me honor." It would give him a purpose once more, something he desperately needed.

NYCMarins.flickr.com