the Rift

[OPEN] you're the antidote to everything except for me
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Mauja Frosthjärta
With every step the Doctor took away from them, Mauja's urge to run after grew stronger and stronger. It was a battle between wisdom and loyalty, heart against mind; he clenched his jaws, drew a deep breath in. He had lost many things over the years, but this was one constant. He tried to hold on to that, even as he felt the ground sway beneath him to the rhythm of something unknown: he'd come back a changed man, oddly devoid of everything but distant, foolish hopes. Hope, that d'Artagnan would be found again. Hope, that he would still accept and embrace Mauja. Hope, that.. that things would work out.

"I have to ask - do the pair of you really go around slaughtering those without horns?" It was a turn of conversation he hadn't been expecting—something he wasn't ready to face. The final barrier between the soul's truth and the tongue's truth. He grew still as a statue in the sunlight, a freezing of every expression, and of his eyes. They grew harder, the set of his jaw firmer: what do you respond to that? Do you admit that your best friend is a cold-hearted killer, but that you've been getting cold feet about it for the past year or two? Is it betrayal, to do such? Betrayal of whom? Do you admit to trying to still hate them, and want to wipe them from the face of earth?

His cold heart pounded in the silence. Putting it like that.. it almost made him cringe. To think he'd once stood just beneath the gods, contemplating the murder of the brother of the one whom he was talking to. That his vision of greatness was a world in which the unicorns dominated—for the good of his people. But who was he, to decide such things? Who was he to say what was truth, and what wasn't? He was charismatic enough to lead armies, command the hearts of men, and to turn vileness into glorious truth. He yelled his own damnation to the skies but it came out a victory song.

So what do you say to that? Do you finally spit out that bit of truth—the cure your foolish, precious, naïve, wise brother spoke of?

His heart kept pounding. His cold, cold eyes turned to Nyx, ice swallowing up every single drop of sorrow, sick to the stomach with it.

He was not ready to face it. He was not ready to betray his family. He said nothing. Simply stared at her with those vast, glacial eyes.
A million miles from home, I'm frozen to the bones, I am... a soldier on my own, I don't know the way.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow
Sorry for the wait! D:

The stallion remained silent, to Nyx's surprise. She kept her gaze level on him, but could gather no response from him - he looked cold, but that was about it. She found herself drawn back into her own thoughts, of the racism she had only recently become acquainted with. She had witnessed it in Isilme, although her tender age had saved her from being involved in it; herds slaughtering one another simply because they were horned, winged or naked. To the steel soldier it seemed a foolhardy reason to start a war, and she had vowed to herself long ago never to judge anyone based on their outward appearance. Some of the nicest individuals she had ever met had been hornless, and some of the biggest bastards had been unicorns. It was simply the luck of the draw, so it was perhaps understandable that she was repulsed by the idea of Mauja and d'Artagnan going around slaughtering based entirely on the presence of a horn.

The silence continued, moving past what could reasonably be considered companionable and into well-this-is-awkward territory. But the spotted man's lack of any sort of explanation spoke volumes to Nyx - the silence was deafening. "I'll take that as a yes," she said, quirking an elegant brow. She wondered how often his pale fur had turned red, how often his horn had torn into a throat or a heart. She wondered if he had torn mothers from foals, brothers from sisters; if he showed mercy to children or sent them the same way as their horned kinsmen. She thought of families torn apart, herds ripped to pieces, all because of a spiralling piece of bone. "Why?" she asked. Oh, she was pushing her luck now; she did not want to provoke him, but she had to know for her own peace of mind. She was beginning to think there was something wrong with her because she lacked the murderous instincts of the two stallions. Her only kills had been in self-defence, and all had left her plagued with guilt for days and weeks afterwards - she could not imagine seeking the sensation out. "I'm not one to judge, but I find myself curious as to why you think a horn makes one superior." Her voice was level, body language neutral; she didn't want him to feel like she was targeting him or scolding him. He was merely the source of the answers she had craved for years, an example of a phenomenon he had never understood.

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja Frosthjärta
[ No worries. <3 ]

You can only hide behind silence for so long, until the pounding of pulses and the rhythm of breaths drown it out; when the mind catches up, it's too late. And it's too late now. Quiet breaths escaped from a dark, still muzzle, eyes glazed over and locking away every little bit of anguish left inside: he could see the moment when she realized he wasn't going to answer. When logic, intelligence, won out over silence. The only way to keep holding his tongue would be to leave. Or make her leave. Fly into a frenzy of ice and pointed tips and hound her from the peninsula of the gods and out into the world, while his dying heart was left here, left to rot in the rains. Because wasn't that what it came down to in the end? That either he killed himself, and buried his soul so deeply it'd never be able to crawl back up to the surface, or he turned around to tell everyone he'd tried to save what fools they were..? What a fool he had been..?

"I'll take that as a yes." His pulse was roaring, the sensation of life nauseating. Shouldn't he just flash her the borderline mad smile, say something about the excellent taste qualities of equine blood, and rejoice that he could keep up his charade a little longer? But hearing it, his heart echoed it, spelled it out in burning letters at the forefront of his mind—damnation, and he felt sick. How many opportunities in Helovia had he had to harm them, the hornless, and hadn't? And on the other side of things were deaths, Therror, Delinne's spectral copy...

And then there was Torasin.

"Why? He barely saw her anymore. The very thing he'd sought to freeze down was rising in his chest, in his throat, threatening to explode; his pulse was thundering through his veins. He wanted to throw his head back and yell you are wrong, because he knew just how far he'd fallen from those icy heights.

Racism, that blind, bitter arrogance, the surge of adrenaline and glory, the passionate, illogical conviction which seeped through your veins—it only worked as long as you were blinded by its fervor, infected by the excitement, the crusade. His way had been long and crooked; he hadn't been breast-fed it. Somehow he'd come to all the wrong conclusions by himself and closed his eyes and thrived on the one argument which could defend it: passion. And bit by bit he'd painted the villain on their hides, demeaned them, to justify their lower status on society. It had always been a matter of time, of how much he could achieve before his blue eyes cracked open to the world.

Mauja was a cold creature of logic: and racism, by its very nature, was nothing he could logically justify. Not anymore. Not when every drop of self-confidence and arrogance had been frozen and shattered like glass. Asni brought him to his knees and he was still reeling, still kneeling, heart pounding and eyes blurred with the tears of pain.

And he couldn't keep killing himself over it. Like he'd tried, to keep going, for the greater good; hadn't he been raised to value the unit higher than the self? To not be afraid to give his own life up for the benefit of the masses?

But even he had his limits. In the end, we all have a desire to live, and to enjoy living.

"I'm not one to judge, but I find myself curious as to why you think a horn makes one superior."

His pale eyes were somewhere else. His mind was somewhere else. Either he betrayed himself, or he betrayed his friends, the Plague, the Basin: Psyche, Snö, Deimos, d'Artagnan, Descaro, Ulrik... But would he step into the light, then? Would it bring him closer to the others—Faelene, Midas, Arah, Ophelia..?

But he knew, that everything he did, he should do for himself. Hadn't he spent enough of his life living for others?

"I don't," he finally forced out in a strangled whisper, and moved for the first time in what felt like ages. He turned his head away, stared into the distance, but if you had asked him, he couldn't have told you what he saw. "It's a blind, illogical thing.. all passion and arrogance." He clenched his jaws together, tried to swallow the sour taste of betrayal, but it was there, washed around in his mouth by a paper-dry tongue. And in that moment, he hated himself, for never being strong enough to truly stand up for himself.
A million miles from home, I'm frozen to the bones, I am... a soldier on my own, I don't know the way.

My posts are woefully inadequate compared to yours ASOSJFOIIFH

She expected a comment similar to the ones she'd received earlier, perhaps something along the lines of how enjoyable it was to rip the wings from pegasi or the hearts from equines. She wouldn't have been surprised to have found him attacking her, either, striking at her for the crime of asking awkward questions, for asking him why he did what he did. The woman was not an expert on the psychology of killers, but she did have a certain amount of experience of being on the receiving end of needless beatings. She had often wondered how her mother justified the way she treated her young, handicapped daughter; how had she slept at night, knowing Nyx was shivering beneath a bush somewhere without supper after failing that day's test? How had she lived with herself when she used her child as a punching bag to take out all her anger and hatred at the world? How had she continued the treatment day after day, month after month, without ever questioning why she was doing it?

Likely the same way Mauja and d'Artagnan lived with themselves after murdering somebody for being different. By switching it off and hiding behind a wall of stony indifference.

Nyx could never live like that. She was not an emotional creature, and hid her soul behind carefully erected walls of iron, but she was unable to remove the haggling feeling of guilt whenever she did something wrong. When she said something she regretted in an argument, she would apologise afterwards. When she got a bit carried away during a spar and caused more damage than intended, she beat herself up about it for days and weeks following. And when she killed, she loathed herself; allowed herself to be devoured with guilt and entered a deep depression that lasted until she could smother her emotions and get on with life. But she readily accepted others weren't like that - they could kill without a second thought, without ever thinking twice. They did not need a reason, or used racism as reason enough; whether Nyx was weaker or stronger than these individuals, she could never quite decide.

Then he spoke, and the soldier was jerked from her own reverie. I don't. She kept her expression stoic, hoping her silence would coax more of an explanation from him. She was astonished as he admitted himself that his racism was blind and irrational, but that he did it anyway, and the silver mare was quiet for quite a few moments as she processed that new information. "A crime of passion," she murmured, more to herself than to him. Perhaps she shouldn't have called it a crime, but that was what it was to her. Cold blooded murder, without rhyme or reason. "I came from a land where racism was in the blood of everybody who lived there. It seemed like every day there was a new war - wing against horn, horn against dragon. I never understood why." She had no idea why she was saying that, but the words fell from her unbidden. She was near enough admitting that she disagreed with racism - as if it wasn't blindingly obvious already - and knew such a comment could endanger her, but for now she decided honesty was the best policy. Her eyes, which had shifted to gaze off into the middle distance, returned to the stallion, curiosity still rife in their pupils. "When was the last time?" You murdered someone for being hornless? Oh, she was really pushing it now, like teasing a hungry wolf - but she knew she was unlikely to get honesty from Mauja ever again should they meet, and was keen to seize her advantage.

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

Ascended Helovian

Mauja Frosthjärta
[ NO THEY ARE NOT ]

Dig up her bones but leave the soul alone...

Lies. All lies, thrones built on the backs of others, castles made out of wind and swirling snow, with no walls but words and groundless conviction. Where the kings and queens ruled with blackened hearts and let their minds sleep behind closed eyes, while pretending the sunlight cascaded in like glory, when in truth it was dark and damp, foul and smelling of death and decay.

And for a long time, he'd been the blind king sitting upon the throne of skulls, listening to the groan of those it stood upon, denying the fact that it was just the groaning of his soul slowly dying.

In the end, you kill yourself along with the rest.

Unless you break away.

But there's a reason few do. There's a reason he'd kept his head down and tried to keep going, all those oaths and promises, a brotherhood: they'd said brother and sister, family, and leaving that isn't easy. Not when it brought to mind just how keenly you cared for them, despite the darkness in their hearts and minds. And it tasted vile, betraying your shared morals and ideas the moment they walked out the door and out of sight. His heart was still thundering. If this was honesty, if this was living for yourself—he wasn't sure he'd made a good bargain. He didn't want to spend every day with this; it was too much, too vibrant and real, raising its head like a sea-monster and roaring at the skies. And there was nothing he could do to quieten it, except kill it and return to what he'd been, a meaningless existence, leading with an empty heart.

"A crime of passion," she murmured, as if his judge; he clenched his jaws harder and closed his eyes. A crime. Death was death, wasn't it? And condemning someone to it for what they hadn't done..? Wasn't that the definition of murder? Didn't he know all too keenly how it was to be on the receiving end of that? A wanted man, for the death of Torasin.

I didn't murder him.

".. I never understood why."
But he did, all too keenly. "Power," he breathed through his tense jaws, ears falling back slowly, the spitting image of desolation and mournful loneliness. "Try to convince an army to kill those they do not hate, take the homes from their friends." He shook his head solemnly, long white hair stirring against a thick, tense neck. "You need a cause. It's all about tradition. Do you use a grudge, or traditional rivalry? Or do you invent one, such as racism?" His voice was oddly soft, truth and tactic slipping from a philosophical mind which had seen and shed too much blood—and maybe the worst thing was that he knew it wasn't the end of it. There would never be an end to it. He was not meant for total peace, far too restless and haughty. He'd come to realize that while he could no longer stand by the Plague.. he would not cease to hate idiots, nor to want to rid the world of them. It had just become a matter of re-defining his use of the term "idiot".

"When was the last time?" He had not looked at her for a long time, locked in his quiet self-condemnation, staring out across blue lava and the sunlit sea—but then he did, neck slowly bending, defying its ice-like appearance, and blue eyes falling on hers. She was looking at him as if he was a mystery to solve, a keen curiosity he didn't deserve, for all she'd find beneath his skin was darkness. The last time I what? he thought, not quite sure what she was asking and unwilling to make a fool of himself by assuming the wrong things. Hadn't he just told her he didn't believe in those old, worn lies anyway? His cold silence held a moment longer, something soft and sad hinting behind the icy guard of his eyes, until finally he spoke the thought aloud.

"The last time I what?"

The conversation had turned from gentle banter to a dangerous territory that Nyx wasn't entirely sure she should have entered; she'd have been better off leaving as d'Artagnan did, rather than hanging around to discuss the finer points of racism with Mauja. She knew little of the motivations behind men like him, and she could not hope to match him in such intellectual debates. She was badly out of her depth, yet still she kept pushing, persisting, craving answers to sate the hunger for knowledge that raged like a storm in her brain. It was ill-advised, it was reckless, but the mare's hooves seemed almost rooted to the sod below, preventing her taking the sensible option of leaving.

Her ears hungrily honed forwards on his words, devouring them. Power. Ah, yes, she should have known. There was something hardwired in stallion's minds that made them seek dominance over their peers; whether it be besting another male in battle or savouring a woman's submission beneath them, they could not stop fighting their way up the power ladder from birth until death. She had seen colts still at foot testing their skills on one another, and haggard old warriors with greying manes taking their last breath on the battlefield. She could only imagine the thrill Mauja and his kin must gain from watching a life sap away beneath his hooves, by the strength of his horn - to hold the power of life and death over another individual was a heady sensation, one Nyx did not actively seek but knew others craved like a drug. She could feel understanding creeping over her like a disease, each word from the spotted man's mouth clearing more of the fog inside her head. She did not respond to his words, simply jerked her skull to show she had heard, and mulled over them in her head. He had certainly given her food for thought, and she knew she would deconstruct this conversation in minor detail the moment she was alone.

His gaze met hers, but she could hold it for mere moments before feeling obliged to drop it to his hooves. He asked for clarification on her question, and she felt an involuntary shudder rocket through her. This was her chance to come up with some bullshit question that wasn't what she really wanted to know and take her leave while she still had the option, but she couldn't. She had to know the answer, no matter what it cost her. Her eyes lifted, snapping back to his and holding it as level as she could. "Killed someone," she said, voice unwavering.

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

Ascended Helovian

Mauja Frosthjärta
He held his breath, finding stability in the frigidity of his heart, freezing the signs of life. Freezing the pounding of his heart, and the heat of his blood seeping through veins beneath the marble skin; every beat brought them one step closer to something, one step deeper into the darkness. Don't you want to turn back before it's too late? There were many things—too many things—he could confess to, out there where the Gods had left them to their own devices, things he was sure she didn't want to know. The older parts of his mind whispered, if you tell her too much she needs to die, just another death piled on top of his sagging back, but he bit the thought down. Did she deserve his honesty? Did she deserve to hear him damn himself, and listen to whatever of his darkest deeds she asked about?

But she's asking. She's only got herself to blame.

She couldn't blame him for being decent and answering her questions, really.

"Killed someone," she finished her question, finding some steel in both spine and eyes again. Gone was the blabbering girl with the high-pitched voice and wide eyes, trying to find some normalcy when chatting with strangers who spoke of death as an old friend, or maybe a pastime to enjoy when bored. Mauja's stony eyes closed, a small sigh heaving itself past his lips, and his head slumped down somewhat. Was this the real Nyx? Or was she pretending to be strong, just as badly as he had?

When was the last time I killed someone? The easy answer was Torasin, but.. would the war count? A war, against something not equine, but not less alive? A war he'd fought to bring them to their knees simply to get some leverage against them? So he could bid them to rise again? Had he actually killed someone? Probably; war was mayhem and chaos, a too-long day and night drawn out in that darkened valley beneath the Heimasborg's looming shadow. He did not fight with the precision of an assassin, of the scouts who killed in utter silence, with such a talent it made you green with envy—he fought hoof and horn, thinking only to maul. To meet him and his ilk was the slow, painful end, shattered bones and concussions. Their only purpose was to overwhelm. And they had. It was the most twisted and accurate application of fighting for peace he'd ever known.

But he hadn't been able to count the corpses afterwards. No idea which were his. Surely some where. Some had to be.

When would Nyx realize that she wasn't interrogation a warlord in his prime, but a broken old fool?

"Since last winter, I fought in a war in my homeland," he said, voice still as soft as sad as before; there was grace in his sorrow, and his blue eyes cracked open to the world again. If she wanted to meet his eyes, he would not look away. "Our traditional enemy is not equine—but no less alive." And how much could you tell, before you had to tell it all? A faint wind brushed against his face. Was there even a point in admitting to engineering that plan? That the sole hope he'd had was to bring peace between them? Did it somehow justify anything? Would she think he was just inventing it as a convenient excuse? Did he even want to redeem himself in her eyes? But why would he not want to? He kept saying he didn't want to be a monster, and yet he always drew its tattered skin over him again.

Bitterness is a slow, deadly poison.

"It's inevitable I killed someone, I think," he said after a moment's pause. What was the point of talking of a war, with no context? "You might not believe me, but.. we fought to bring peace between us."

To make up for old mistakes, make sure old deaths were not in vain.

He fell silent, awaiting her judgment—or her curiosity.

It was like a car crash - she knew she should look away, rip her gaze from something she knew would trouble her for the rest of her days, yet found herself unable to turn her head. She knew she should leave before hearing the answer to the question, go before her opinion of this man was ruined forever, yet she couldn't. Then he spoke, and her decision was made for her - as, after all, it would just be rude to leave when he was mid-sentence. He talked of a war, and Nyx's greedy ears pivoted towards the words, absorbing them. "Did you win?" she asked, before she lost her nerve again. Our traditional enemy is not equine—but no less alive. She wondered at this statement, tried to twist it every way to determine what he had meant by it. She smothered the urge to ask, feeling like she had peppered him with quite enough questions.

For now.

He continued, and the soldier listened in stoic silence. "I believe you. Isn't every soldier fighting for peace?" she asked, rhetorical; her razor-quick mind fed her mouth with words before she even had time to judge if she wanted to say them. That often happened to her, leading to her reknowned lack of tact and knack of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. But peace was a funny word - everybody said they craved it, yet even when they had it they were just a stone's throw away from another war. No sentient race could ever be truly at peace, as there was always going to be conflict over territory, resources, mates. With her species, though, the largest battles seemed to arise from the most petty - in her opinion - things; a shard of bone on one's head, or lack of. How could such a war ever be resolved? Short of eradicating everything without a horn - genocide that did not even bear thinking about - there was always going to be another skirmish, another equine or pegasus in the wrong place at the wrong time. There would always be lives to lose, as long as there were racial differences in the world. It was a miserable outlook, one Nyx tended not to think about, but which had been driven to the fore by her intellectual conversation with Mauja.

"What of the children? Have you ever aimed your horn at a foal?" She was getting deeper and deeper into shark-infested waters, pressing harder and harder until something had to give, and her urge to bolt was rising by the second. But still the car crash happened in front of her, blood and death flying everywhere, and she still couldn't tear herself away.

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

Ascended Helovian

Mauja Frosthjärta
He wasn't sure why he kept answering. He wasn't sure he ever had answered anyone this openly when asked things—nor so willingly. He had his doubts, some words died on his tongue before he breathed life into them, and some things he still would not speak of, but what he shared, he shared of his own accord. But why? What did it matter?

It didn't. And the only thing that was happening, was that someone, one unlucky mare in Helovia, would know a great deal more of the Frostheart's mind than anyone else. And she was a stranger. Did she deserve it? Did her curiosity need satisfying? What did he care? He knew nothing of her. Nothing at all, and yet he told her bits and pieces when she asked, sorted through his thoughts for what was safe and what wasn't, gave as he never had before. It was foolish and stupid and outright odd, yet he did it, allowed her to lure those words from his mouth. And sometimes, words put things into perspective. It can be easier to sort through your thoughts when you speak them out aloud.. when someone reacted to them.

So while that might be half the truth, he wasn't sure it was the whole truth. He didn't feel cynical enough to abuse her curiosity just to help himself, not at that moment, when worrying for d'Artagnan and thinking about his past so keenly drew the sorrow to the surface. Still, half an answer was better than no answer. He'd be fine, as long was he remained vigilant and didn't spit out too much.

"Did you win?" she blurted out in the middle of his answer; he raised a 'brow and eyed her with a look that said do you think I'd still be alive if we hadn't? Because in all honesty, he wouldn't be. They'd trapped themselves with the enemy, and if they hadn't been the ones to come out victorious, they likely wouldn't have come out of that valley at all. The Magnar would've feasted on their flesh to regain the strength and energy spent on slaughtering them.

Surprisingly, she believed him—but naively. Every soldier fighting for peace? No. He knew too keenly that not everyone did. Some did it for glory. Wealth, of some kind. Renown. Or just because they enjoyed the power over life and death; they were gods in their own bloodied rights, until someone had enough of their terrorizing and shoved a horn in their back. Silently he shook his head. Only the good-hearted would fight only for peace, and they were far too few. And even good-hearted soldiers could be commanded by misled, greedy lords and ladies, and be too loyal to refuse the order to conquer and lay the world to waste. So they killed themselves along with their enemy, burying their own moral compass so deep they sometimes never found it again—something he knew all too well how to do.

"What of the children? Have you ever aimed your horn at a foal?" Her words, more than her voice, jolted him out of his thoughts, a twitch running down his withers and back, a noticeable jerk of his head as he turned slightly to stare openly at her. Children? She really wasn't going to leave any stone unturned, and the only question was if she knew what was good for herself—or maybe, if she would leave him be if he refused to answer something. "You're morbidly curious for a good girl," he replied darkly, voice stern and smooth like the coldest marble, buying himself some time to think. Had he ever? Aside from accidentally impaling Prometheus? But he didn't count, he was already dead, and the only thing that came to mind was Aylin's brother. He'd never laid hands on him, but had entertained the idea of ridding the world of another sun-worshiping equine before it grew into its prime. Slowly, Mauja turned his entire body to face her head on, something dark and heavy in his pale blue eyes, there in the autumn sunlight. "What do you want, Nyx?" he asked her, almost tiredly. If she hadn't considered what she was after, maybe it was time she did now. She should learn not to play with fire—and he should not encourage it.

Others might not take as kindly to it.

She knew she was playing with fire, and she was just waiting to feel the burn. It was like teasing a snake - it was fun at first, but sooner or later you would feel the sting of venom in your hide. This particular snake still seemed willing to answer her questions for now, but the more she pushed the more she sensed she was about to feel the poison coursing through her veins. She had often been likened to an annoying child, a foal peppering its dam with too many questions for its own good; she liked to think of herself as hungry for information rather than as irritating as a nettle sting, but knew opinions on that tended to vary. She appreciated Mauja humouring her, as he would likely humour a filly he would dearly prefer to kick - but how long his tolerance would last was anybody's guess.

His head jerked to look at her, and she stood her ground despite the inward flinch she gave as she expected to feel the sharp nip of his teeth in her flesh. That was how she had learnt she was pushing too hard - a bite or kick, a clear warning to back off. But nothing came. She could not tell from his expression what was going through his head, whether he was amused or annoyed at her insistence on asking about every caveat of his lifestyle. You're morbidly curious for a good girl. She couldn't help but chortle. "Whoever said I was a good girl?" she asked, one grey eyelid dipping in what could only be described as a wink. Perhaps on another mare it could have been considered flirtatious, but Nyx was about as sultry as a mossy rock. As for his impression of her as a good girl...well, she could understand his reasoning. She had flown into his life like a blast of wind, her initial fear of Aramis evident; the fact she had followed that up with thinly-veiled disgust at his murderous lifestyle would certainly have given him the impression that she was one of the good ones. Perhaps that was true - she certainly didn't run around killing anything that looked at her twice, or anything that looked different from her. Yet she was no stranger to battle, no stranger to bloodshed; could any beast who considered themselves to be wholly good ever be a warrior? Surely their desire not to hurt would overwhelm their desire to protect? The iron woman truly had no idea where she sat on the alignment spectrum, as it entirely depended on the circumstance. But she was not a virginal, naiive child; she had lived, and she had suffered. 'Good girl' might be pushing it - 'semi-decent girl who can sometimes do the wrong thing for the right reasons' would be far more apt, if a bit of a mouthful.

He followed his comment up with a question, and a shift of his body to look at her head-on; she could not hold his gaze for long, and lowered her muscular neck to stare at the ground beneath his feet instead. "I don't know," she said truthfully - he had been honest with her (or so she assumed), so she owed him the same courtesy. "I've known a few racists in my life, but have never been in a position to ask them their motives. I fancy myself as a woman of action, a woman who can be useful to the Edge, yet I know the biggest enemy I will face here is racism, and I can't stop myself trying to find out the reasoning behind it." Know thy enemy, and all that. Not that she ever hoped or assumed she would be on the opposing side of a battle to Mauja; quite the contrary. She fidgeted, looking into the middle distance; perhaps his question was a hint for her to leave, and stop interrogating him. "Maybe I should go," she said - a clear out for him. If he wanted her to go, he could stay silent. And if he was willing to answer her questions...then he could say as much, and the mare with the curse of curiosity would be only too happy to listen. The balls were completely in his court.

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

Ascended Helovian

Mauja Frosthjärta
What did she think now, when he didn't respond to her question? His heart pounded in its cage of a chest, both so cold and so alive, liquid ice and fire somehow combined; did she think him a murderer of children, ruthless in his attempt to cleanse the world of hornless? A viper who struck at the tender root before the tree had a chance to blossom? But I'm not, his heart and mind whispered in choked despair. I'm not I'm not I'm not. And yet he was just silent, did nothing to amend his statement with the truth—that fickle, damnable thing. She just chuckled in a kind of.. bemused? way. "Whoever said I was a good girl?" It even drew a snort from him, which under the circumstances could only be described as a sign of amusement. Cheeky, he thought, but was not entirely convinced: in the conflict of black and white, there was no gray. Either you were a bad guy, in this case a racist, or you weren't.

Though some tyrants didn't care about anything other than themselves, and their power, and nothing in the world was the stark white of snow or the pitch black of a moonless, starless night. Everything was dirtied gray, and Nyx's blue eyes had been much too wide at the subject of heart-eating—neither pristine nor of the dark. But he didn't comment on it—didn't tell her of her wide, wide eyes and the tremble in her high-pitched voice, the blabber of words.. she wasn't interrogating him to become a racist. If anything, he had the notion she really didn't agree with it at all.

Well, that makes it two of us.

Those same blue eyes, reflecting the autumn sky, met his, but only briefly before they fell again. What was it with her and dropping her eyes? Why wouldn't she ever look at them? She'd done the same with d'Artagnan, looking everywhere but at him, and it made Mauja feel weird, talking to someone who refused to look at him, or meet his eyes. Did she lie so much her gaze shriveled up and blackened, and she didn't want him to see? Head high and impassive, ears flicking forward, he listened to what she had to say. She didn't sound entirely prepared for the question, but came up with something quickly enough, and towards the end of her speech a dark laugh had slipped from his maw and he was shaking his head, white mane rattling against his arched neck. "Only if you want to," he responded, as if mildly amused by her.. attempt to leave? Or was it that she was just trying to be courteous, as he'd maybe given off the impression of starting to lose his patience? And if so—good instinct. You didn't want to be around if Mauja lost his temper.

He breathed out slowly, thoughtfully. Not that he was known for losing it... "There isn't much reason to such a madness. It's part structure, part fear—as much of the unknown as of being worthless yourself. As there is no logic to it..." He shrugged. "It's hard to understand. It's not really about the physical difference, as something you can.. ally for. You belong somewhere, and you cling to it, desperately, and to feel worth something you belittle those who can't belong with you. Some are just misguided, and some are willfully blind." Like I was. I knew what I was doing and I did it anyway, eyes closed and leaping off the ledge, praying I wouldn't fall to my death. "It is better to show them kindness, to try and help them. Few are evil.. though many certainly seem to think so." Would she notice how he said them, and not us? The words, I'm not like that anymore died upon his tongue, turned to dust, lifeless and wing-clipped. It would be so much easier if she came to the conclusion herself—asked, anything but him taking that step off the edge and falling into something he could never back out of.

She could not decide if his snort was promising or offensive - was he laughing with her, or at her? She lived in a world made up of a hundred shades of grey, with no clear definition of good or evil. Using that logic, murder was always evil, but what if it was murder commited whilst defending one's child? Was it still evil then? Likewise, if somebody healed another for the sole purpose of letting them suffer for longer, could that be considered good? Nyx was far from flawless, but she was open-minded and willing to drink in any and all viewpoints, even ones she didn't agree with - in this case, racism. To her, the wanton murder of anything different was, yes, the height of evil, but if it was for a reason...no, she needed to stop justifying this man's actions, as though doing so would help her understand him.

If she had learnt anything from this conversation, it was that she most certainly didn't understand him.

Again her gaze wandered away from his face, to stare at a rock behind him. Her dislike of eye contact had existed for as long as she could remember - when she was blind, she had no choice where her eyes wandered, as they simply followed her thoughts. Once she gained her sight back, however, she felt it rude to stare at someone, to drink in the contours of their face simply because she had spent the first months of her life unable to do just that. Since then her strange habit had evolved, especially when she grew more used to predators and the fact they stared before they went in for the kill. To lower her eyes was a subtle gesture of submission, to show she was not a threat - nowadays she didn't even realise she was doing it, nor that it could have the opposite effect and appear rude rather than pacifying. Only if you want to, he said. Well, he wasn't chasing her away, that was for certain. That was promising.

He spoke again, and she listened with the attentiveness of a curious child - which could be precisely what she was. What he said was interesting, and she found herself mulling it over eagerly. It sounded almost as though using racial differences as a reason to kill was just an excuse, a justification, a reason to create bonds with other like-minded inviduals. In a sick, twisted way, it made sense. His use of them did not go unnoticed, and her brow lifted a fraction before returning to its usual position. She took it to mean that he no longer considered himself among the super-racists like she had first thought - perhaps he was outgrowing the dated notion that possession of a horn meant superiority. "That, I agree with. I prefer to say 'misguided' rather than evil." It all depended on the circumstance, as with her little protecting-a-vulnerable-foal analogy earlier.

This time when her gaze lifted from the rock to meet his, she attempted to hold it. "I do appreciate you answering my questions, though. You must want to tell me to piss off and leave you alone." She released a self-mocking snort. But, after all the questions he had answered, she couldn't help but think of the one he hadn't - the question about killing a child. It hung between them, unanswered, but she simply did not dare ask it again. Once could be put down to morbid curiosity - twice was just pushy.

Image © Snowwy @ Helovia

Ascended Helovian

Mauja Frosthjärta
Misguided. Or just high on some notion of glory, of doing what was right, the shepherd who led the flock astray: the wolf at the front of the pack, running straight to hell with his head held high and eyes closed. Had he abused them, and their faith? Had he preyed on their unfamiliarity with strangers to strengthen their bonds? Had he known what he was doing? And why? Failed and traveling further and further from home, young and insecure—lying at the bloodied pit floor, staring at the sky, and wanting to rise again.

Was it so strange, that he'd become what he'd become? That he'd turned to the one familiar thing: horns mean you can fight. Here, at the end of that storyline arc, he could see it all so clear, laid out before his feet plainer than a spot of sunlight. Wrote the final words for the chapter with blood ink, turned the page; empty. Too empty, and his heart ached for d'Artagnan, to be there, to berate him for his weakness or just shrug, bump his shoulder and say that as long as he didn't go kissing Mirage's feet it was alright—anything but plunging him into desolation and despair.

This, this was why he'd tried so hard to keep the world at arm's length.

But was it strength or weakness that had made him let them in?

He blinked, white lashes flicking down towards his cheek. Her gaze, the blue of the sky, snapped him out of his morose thoughts. There was neither rhyme nor reason to her eye-manners, flicking them this way and that, holding gazes as if not quite wanting to, and never really when it truly mattered. Just at odd times. His head tilted slowly to the side, his own eyes unreadable; simply spinning slowly the way they always did, sunlight glittering upon the snow but telling nothing of its depth. "Are you getting nervous, Nyx?" he asked, voice full of faux-darkness. If she listened close enough she could hear past the thunderstorm, hear the rays of playful sunlight behind the towering blackness. "This is the second time you're nearly begging for me to tell you to leave." And his gaze spun with the same darkness, neck stretching a little taller with that edge, as if to say, I can be dangerous—when in truth, he was just a lamb dressed up as a lion.

The silver mare had lived many days, but few had been as enlightening as this one. Discovering the innermost sanctum of a racist mind had given her a lot to think about, and had certainly shed some light on how different Helovia was to her previous homes. In Isilme, racism had been a way of life - here, it was more of a choice, but no less terrifying for it. For her to cling to her old ways was both archaic and dangerous, but that knowledge didn't make shedding them any easier. Perhaps life would be better if she made herself believe that the blackened sword atop her head made her somehow superior - yet the thought stuck in her throat like poison. She just did not possess the correct racist thought processes, even if she could almost understand Mauja's logic more now.

His question caused a small chortle to escape her lips, one sardonic brow lifting in subtle amusement. "And you're only noticing that now?" She had been on the precipice of a nervous breakdown since she first saw Aramis standing in her path like some macabre demon come to lead her to her doom; it had faded slighly now, but her heart still fluttered like a caged butterfly. His tones were those of inky darkness wrapped around a playful soul; ordinarily she would have responded with a witty rebuke of her own, but she was all out of those for the day. He seemed to swell up like a blossoming rose, looming over her in a way she would have considered terrifying an hour ago, but now she took as more...testing. "Maybe I'll take matters into my own hands, then," she said with a playful wink of her own. Better to leave on her own terms than be driven away by the teeth and hooves of a stallion she had pushed that little bit too far.

She began to turn, tail tangling around her hocks as she cast a nod over her shoulder at the spotted man. "Goodbye, Mauja," she said; she doubted this would be the last time they met, and knew that next time she was far less likely to be so bold. Her final question had gone unanswered, but perhaps it was better that way - she did not want the answer to tarnish her impression of the ice king.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja Frosthjärta
"And you're only noticing that now?"

He laughed; not unkindly, but darkly, the rich, deep sound of a storm. If anything, he'd say she was considerably calmer now—her voice stable, words thoughtful, not the nervous chit-chatter of a reeling mind. If he had to pick, he preferred this one.. the one with a hint of unbending iron, instead of the malleable, soft silver.

He hadn't, truly, meant to finally close the book on their conversation, but as the playful words left his mouth, he knew that it would come to an end. It hung in the air, that unanswered question and the slight tension, the scent of her nervousness bridging the gap between them; even with d'Artagnan gone, they stood relatively close. It was.. when he came to think of it.. too close. With all the adrenaline, all the blood pumping through his veins, the certain sense of being alive that came with the frost-tinged darkness.. it ran like a crackle of static around his body, and he shook his head lightly from side to side, as if to shake it off, or break free from it.

"Maybe I'll take matters into my own hands, then," she said, and his mind whispered with an arched inner 'brow, oh really?, but he snapped his mouth shut on the words. The last thing he needed now was to let that feeling bloom, get acknowledged; he shoved it aside, answered with a polite, if still a little deep, "Farewell, Nyx,". Silently he watched her go, departing down the path, passing Irma who sat like a stone guardian among the rocks, and only when she was further away did he let out his breath in a shuddering sigh. What had he just done? What had he just said? What had he just forced himself to face, at least partially? What did it mean; what did it mean, for him?

The tension lingered in him, a coiled-up spring with no relief, and angrily, with ears laid back, did he snap at the nearest shrine before he turned and stalked away. He knew the feeling would burn itself out, but it would be a few hours before peace was restored to him.

[ The end. This was amazing. <3 ]