the Rift

[PRIVATE] Can Frozen Hearts Still Beat?[Vulture]

Epona Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Epona
~No wealth, no ruin, no silver, no gold
Nothing satisfies me but your soul~

Heavy hoof pints stomp out indentions into the frost covered ground. Cold permeated the land beside the sea. Though the sun that sat high in the sky tried its best to allow its golden rays to warm the ground his power was no match for that of the cold. Cold was mighty, uncaring of any other powers that tried to hinder it. The cold numbed; the most delicious of all its skills. The cold made the roan mare forget, if only for a few moments, what she had been. She never wanted to return to that pathetic beast, one that cared, who felt emotions. Yet that creature still dwelled inside of her, resurfacing at the most incorrect of times. So, she fought herself; trying with every waking minute to rid herself of the parasite that was her old memories; her old self.

Epona slowly trekked over the harsh terrain, icy wind whipping about her form. Ice eyes wandered over the horizon, searching for an opening in the glaciers that would mean she had found one of the many caves of this land. Finally the mare’s gaze settled on a dip in the ice walls and so she takes her long strides there, slipping into the crack of the ice. Once she was safely tucked away into the cave the mare ceased her endless walking, standing just at the edge of the glaciers. The wind howled as it scrapped across the opening, the sound of thousands of equines screaming sounding through that one simple howl. Epona shakes her elegant head, ridding herself of such thoughts. They will find you. At this the mare rolled her eyes. So they were in that kind of mood today, it always had to be something. The mare chooses not to pay any head to those voices that rattled through her brain; she did not need their input. The simple wind still managed to twist into the thin opening of the cave, taking the mare’s banners upwards into a wild dance, the force of the wind pushing her to go farther into the cave. Well, she had never been one to deny the force of the wind, it was what brought her here in the first place, and so the mare continued farther into the cave.

Light trickled from small cracks in the ceiling of the glacier, allowing the mare her sight. Despite herself Epona could not help but admire the beauty of the land that she had found herself. The sunlight bounced from the clear ice, reflecting golden rays into the thin air. Water droplets fell from every corner, reflecting the light once more; making it perform a beautiful dance. Along with the show the water created a melancholy song to accompany the dancing. The mare laughed heartily, her happiness one that she had not felt in some time. Beauty elated the mare, and this place was the epitome of it. Ice eyes fly across the elegant scenery, she could spend quite some time here. What of your new home? Epona scoffed at that notion. She did not need her home; it was only a stepping stool. She only needed it to grow. ”That land is no home of mine. Though she spoke those words a spot in the back of her mind told her just how wrong she was. The mare longed for acceptance, longed for a place that she could call her home. She longed for companionship, for someone to actually care for her. But of course, she would never speak this.

As the mare continued through the luminous land she stumbled upon a rather clear sheet of ice. Within it crystal eyes starred upon the reflection of themselves. Before Epona stood the mare that she had become. Oh my, had she changed. Her coat was riddled with small scars, showing just how much trouble she was able to get herself into. Her mane and tail had traveled farther down her body; mane down to her shoulders and tail dragging slightly behind her. As the mare lifted her lips she noted the sharpness of her teeth, an adaptation that she had acquired over the years. Her gaze then made a mistake, lifting itself to where her eyes sat in her proud face. They were what had changed the most. Epona could remember, back before the accident, when they were innocent. Her eyes had held sweetness in them, a caring ability that no longer floated through her irises. Now they were frozen, much like the ice that surrounded her. There was no emotion to be found in them, only cold uncaring. They shown with darkness, with the mercilessness that she carried within her. The souls of her victims seemed to swim within her eyes, or was that the hysteria that had set in? You are a monster. Dainty ears pin back at the voices in her mind. ”No. You’re wrong.” She was no monster. No more than the other horses who lied and cheated for their places, she just went about a different root. You betrayed your family. Head shakes against this thought. ”No.” They were already dead. ”I did what I had to do to survive.” She would have died if she had not done that haunting deed years ago. She was saving herself. ”You feasted upon the one thing that ever meant anything to you. The one thing that could ever love you. At this the mare’s eyes silently drift down her reflection, settling on the small bone that hung against her heart. The one kill that had ever meant anything to her, the one equine who accepted her. You killed him. Liquid began to trickle into the mare’s eyes, carving a path down her white face.

Cloudy eyes once more rise to her reflection. She couldn’t stand herself, the voices were right. She was a monster. With one swift movement the mare turned away from the ice, back hooves striking out at the glacier. For a moment the whole world shook, as if the ice was about to cave in. ”Let it fall… The mare whispered to the Gods above her. It wasn’t like anyone would miss her, no one would notice. She would finally get to meet the sweet kiss of death. But the ice did not fall. The mare once more turned to the ice wall, starring at the cracks that had erupted across her reflection. There, that is what it should show. That is what you are. Broken.
@[Vulture]

Vulture Posts: 44
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15'2 :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable

Vulture

There will be no escape cause he's fallen far from grace

Wake up beloved, someone is here, Kestrel says in my mind with a sing-songy tone. I open my eyes and look about groggily. I had been wandering about this frozen wasteland in search of some blood. Much to my luck I had found a sinner, who was also a stallion. He didn’t plead like the others, he simply told me to go to hell. Someday I know my sins will catch up with me, and I will be cast down into eternal damnation, till that day, I’m gonna whoop sinner ass. “I’m back Sin,” I whisper, “And this time I’ve got friends.” Kestrel giggles and coos, “That’s right Beloved, you’ve got me and Nightingale.

As irritating as Kestrel can be, she is the only one of two that gives a crap about me, and it feels damn nice to someone to care about me. Plus, I find she is helping me release that weight I carry whenever I see another bleed. Nightmares still come often, but less than they used to. I’m becoming a free man. Accepting the monster that I am has released me from so much. Madness is paradise, just like ignorance is bliss. I then remember why Kestrel woke me up, and decide to search out this stranger that’s wandered into my icy bed.

I see a mare not too far away, and I find that she is talking to herself. Or is she? I cock my head and move silently towards her from behind. It doesn’t take long for me to realize that she pleading with the ice to fall. I roll my eyes, and want to snort, but then Kestrel speaks in my mind. ”Why don’t you cheer our precious queen up? Don’t growl like you usually do, purr. Hopefully the bloodstains don’t scare her. She giggles incessantly and I know if I want her to shut up I better listen.

“You’re an idiot if you want to throw your life away like that.” I say finally, by now she’s probably noticed y presence. I flick my tail and study her intently. Will this mare find me menacing like so many do? I partially hope she falls under the nutcase category, because the screams of terror really get old. I mean, my entire muzzle is caked with the stuff, as are my two front hooves, and there are several splatters on my muzzle. I lick my lips. “Even if you’ve been through hell, or done shitty stuff, you’re throwing something that’s only given once. Look at me, I’m everything I didn’t want to be, my mind is snapping, I kill people, and life is just peachy.” So much for being a purring kitten.

@[Epona]

Image Credit
[Image: 2yo7n0m.png]
I'm friends with the monster that's under my bed
Get along with the voices inside of my head

Unregistered

Epona

Ice eyes stare back at ice eyes, a haunted expression seeping into the mare’s face. The shattered reflection of herself was now more hideous than before, her body no longer fitting together. Pieces of herself hung apart from where they were supposed to go, far from their places. Yet, she stayed together; she could still stand tall. A low smile lifted the mare’s lips. She was stronger than this, stronger than throwing a tantrum in a cavern; stronger than hoping for death. Despite her broken appearance no eye that looked upon the reflection could deny the mare’s beauty, she was an elegant thing indeed. The spark that now shimmered inside her frozen eyes showed the strength that resided deep inside her soul. The vicious smile that now cut open her lips allowed for predatorial sharpened teeth to hang from her mouth, showing just how dangerous her beauty was. The creature tossed her head proudly. She would not allow her ennui to cloud her mind. She was not some pathetic creature who allowed bitter tears to roll from her eyes, who hoped for death, who gave up. No. She was strong, more powerful than any would give her credit for. She had survived. She had triumphed over the cursed life that had been granted her. She kept on living through her grief, through her growing insanity. She did not allow her broken life to weaken herself, and she never would. Those who are broken are the strongest of all. They know how to survive damnation. Epona could not agree more with the wicked voices who sung inside her mind, for once they did not speak down to her, they accepted what she thought as truth. This caused the smile along her lips to calm to a sweeter natured one. She would survive. She would live her life. She would stay strong.

As the beast watched her reflection something caught her attention, there was a form emerging behind her. At first the creature believed it to be a ghost, a demon. His coal painted coat would blend in well with the night, his spiraling horn seemed to be coated in blood. But a long scar across his eye broke this allusion. A demon would not be scarred, and ghosts lost such things when they traveled through the void. So, the grisly looking beast was a part of reality. The mare allowed her gaze to linger on his reflection for many more moments. His coat was covered in the sweet metallic scent and color of blood. A smirk crossed the mare’s lips. So, he was a killer. One of our own. The mare chuckled lightly at the voices. ”Yes, one of us.” Her words were whispered to the voices, though there was a chance that in this silent place the stallion who was coming upon the mare could have heard her words. As he grew closer the mare decided she might as well look upon his true form, not just his reflection. With one swift movement the mare pivoted, so that her gaze landed on the boy’s true form. He stood smaller than herself, though that was true for many horses. Epona noted his crimson colored rump, an addition to the stallion’s ebony coat that the mare believed added significantly to his looks. The mottling around his face was something that the mare had never seen before and so she counted it off as some kind of birth defect. The mare gazed for a long moment at the scar that cut down the beast’s face, feeling lucky that she did not have such a thing to mar her beauty; though she could not deny the character that it added to the stallion. His porcelain mane and tail contrasted greatly with the rest of his bodice, catching he mare’s eye as well. He could be considered a handsome brute, though the blood would most likely scare away most mares. But of course, not this one, she was different. The crimson stains only caused a thin smirk to roll upon her lips.

As the mare watched the stallion he began to speak, telling the mare that she was an idiot if she wished to throw her life away. Epona’s ears flick backwards from the insult of being called an idiot, but return to a frontwards position when she realizes that he is indeed right. Of course, he did not need to know that she was hoping for death, for she was not anymore; that had passed. ”I do not fear death. I have granted it to far too many to believe it to be frightening. I have seen the grace that it allows.” A roll of insane giggles comes from the mare’s lips at this thought. She remembered every face that had fallen under her, their flesh provided a quench to her lust. They had screamed in terror, tried to run, fought back; but no matter how terrorized the creatures were they always fell. And whenever the sweet kiss of death finally graced them there was no sign of the struggle that had permeated their bodies only moments before, they were all completely peaceful. The stallion is still there. The words wake the mare from her memories, reminded her that there was a guest here. ”Still, death is not something I wish for.” The mare watched the stallion, waiting to see if he would try to deny what she was saying, there was no telling how much of her show he had seen. Hopefully he would just accept her words as truth. As the mare waited the boy spoke once more. Saying that even if she had been through hell and had done bad things she was throwing something away only given once. The mare had to agree with the words that he said, reminding herself how grateful she was that she had stayed strong and halted her prayers for death. She did not truly wish for that. His words were not finished. He stated that he was everything that he did not wish to be. His mind was snapping, he killed people, and his life was still peachy. The mare laughed heartedly at this description; tail flicking back and forth as she contemplated the stallion’s words. ”Well, dear sir. If that is correct then I must commend you. For you are lucky to not have a past that haunts you. To not have a conscious from younger and happier days, that clings to your soul forevermore. Reminding you of how damned you have become. How every soul that has become one with the earth due to you waits just inside the gates of hell to rip you to shreds. One that makes you weak in moments when you most need to be strong.” Her words were strong, seeming to echo around the ice walls that the two were surrounded by. The mare then decided she would test the stallion of which she had only just met. ”If what you say is true that throwing away a life that is only granted once is idiotic; a statement that I whole heartedly agree with, and you are the killer that you say. Wouldn’t that make us uncontrollable hypocrites? Saying that a life is precious when we rip them away from other equines without a second thought? Aren’t we even more damned for such truthful thoughts?” Would he grow angry because of these questions? Was he truly the unhaunted beast that he said he was, or was there some remorse buried deep inside him? The mare was interested to see. An eyebrow gently tilts at the boy, patiently awaiting his reply.
@[Vulture]

Deceased
Adoptable

Vulture

I watch the mare in silence, and I am not surprised in the slightest when she notices me, especially since I am making no effort to hide myself. She chuckles and says something, and I assume it’s to herself or whoever else she was talking to before. The mare turns and looks upon me, and like everyone else, she gazes upon my scar. I think of the discipline that had resulted in the wound, and the crime I had committed to earn it, but I pull myself from those memories I locked away in Pandora’s Box. Opening that up will only result in nightmares. I need to keep that part of my mind silenced. At the sign of the blood, she only smirks, I may have been in good company, even if she may prove to be a monster that wants to gut me.

The mare speaks after I insulted her stupidity, and she goes on about how she doesn’t fear death. Bullshit, everyone fears death, even if they don’t think they do. I’m willing to die, but it doesn’t mean I don’t fear what hell awaits me at the end of it all. Then she proceeds to say that she doesn’t desire to die, I am quite skeptical of this statement due to her previous performance. “Is that so? I’ll just take your word for it I guess,” I say with a shrug. Whether she is suicidal or not isn’t any of my business, and it’s not like I particularly care either way. If she dies, she dies, but I can say I tried to tell her otherwise.

After my procession of stating everything that is wrong with me, the mare laughs. It’s nice to have someone laugh at my statements rather than want to castrate me. She goes and discusses about pasts, guilt, and various other things. Things I’m far too familiar with. I think of that filly I had attacked, the guilt was beginning to fade. After all, I had let her live, and I don’t think I’ll ever see her again anyways, so feeling sorry for myself is pointless.

“Heh, I do have a past that destroys me inside and out.” Why the hell am I saying this? Mouth stop making sound! Be quiet! BE QUIET! “Every night I fall asleep I see them and I say their eyes just watching me. Their screams repeat in my ears every night… And I remember everything he did me. I can hear his voice roaring in my ears, and feel the pain from everything he did to me... I can also sometimes taste his blood when I think about how I finally took my vengeance.” I close my eyes and grit my teeth as I try to force the demons back into their box. Hey, you’re okay. Nightingale says with a soothing tone. This is a moment I appreciate his presence. I give out a loud sigh and open my eyes back up and look at the mare in front of me. Then the mare throws questions at him. I simply shrug. “I don’t think about things like that, that deeply, but I know for a fact I’ll probably be damned to the darkest recesses of hell. So yeah, I guess I’m a hypocrite. I can add that to my list of sins. Plus, the people I kill deserve it, they sell their souls to a sin.”

I am rather nonchalant about discussing all the murders I’ve committed. It isn’t often I find a mare so casually admitting to her similar sins. An idea strikes my mind, and a wicked grin crosses over my face. “Not sure how you feel about this, but should it interest you… I saw an equine somewhere around here… When I feel a bit down, I indulge myself in a little… hunt.” I’ve gotta admit that this mare is gorgeous, and yes, I do notice beauty. Admittedly I rarely approach beautiful things, but this mare is mad and beautiful, quite a wonderful combination. “I think everyone deserves a bit of fun when their down... No matter how wicked the world may seem."

@[Epona]

Image Credit

Unregistered

Epona

The stallion’s facial expression seems to show that he does not believe Epona’s words of how she did not wish for death. If he had caught any of her previous show the mare could not blame him. It would seem as if she were completely suicidal. But that, of course, was not the case. She did not wish to die. She was just… Well, what was it? Insane? The beast rolls her eyes at the voices. That could make up a portion of it, but for once the mare was trying to look deeper. She was just… Emotional? That seemed enough of a sum up for the mare at the moment. She did not want to delve into said emotions, which would be a dark and dangerous place to venture to. A place that the mare would have to journey to alone, and at the moment Epona was far from that. The stallion that stood in front of the mare opened his blood stained lips to speak and the mare feared that he would call her out upon her lie. Then she would look like a fool. She could own up to her momentary lapse in judgement. Or you could kill him. But the stallion did not question her, he only shrugged and explained that he would have to take her word for it. At this the mare smirked. He was a smart one. ”Only the truly knowledgeable know when to question, and when not to. I commend you on that.” The mare nodded her head along with her words, accentuating the truth that lay within them. It was rare for the mare to allow compliments to pass from her porcelain lips; the stallion should consider himself lucky to receive one.

As the mare spoke to him about the guilt that she felt for being this ravenous monster she could see a small change in him. Then the words that he spoke seconded this sight. He spoke of how he had a past that destroyed him. He told the mare about how he dreamt every night of the kills that he committed. Epona could understand this; she had nightmares of that one stallion’s face every night for years. He would not allow her to sleep. He would keep her up all night in grief. This new stallion continued to speak, talking of a stallion that had hurt him, and of the sweet taste of revenge. All the while the mare watched the boy with intent eyes, ears scooping up all the words he said. This boy was far more like her than she had previously believed, which was something she needed. The mare felt as if possibly this strange creature could understand the insanity that ravaged her, accept her for it. ”The nightmares cease after some time.” The mare nods her head assuredly. She knew of this well, Epona had not dreamt of her haunter in many years. ”The evil of others is far harder to forget than the evil of our own souls, but that too shall pass.” The mare was not so sure about this statement. Epona had not yet forgiven the Gods for cursing her with this life, she had not stopped hating them body and soul. But she hoped that this would pass as well, so that it would stop eating away at her heart.

The stallion closed his eyes for a moment, a gesture that the mare had made many a times. Blocking out the world seemed to help clear her mind, stop the voices that rang through her head. Once the boy opened his eyes a soft sigh escaped him, accompanied by Epona’s words of our hypocracy. The stallion stated that he knew he would most likely be damned, that he was a hypocrite but that was just one of his many sins. He then added that the equines he killed had deserved, for their sins. Ice eyes gaze at the stallion, thinking over the words that he had said, a tinkling laughter escaping her curved lips. ”Then we shall dance there together.” The mare smirked easily, a happier tone entering her eyes. She knew where she was going, but all the best equines wound up there one way or the other. ”We all sin. Even the Godliest saint has a list of sin that could trifle our own; they just vie to hide such.” She had met many an equine who believed themselves to be Godly, even though their souls were darkened with the murk of sin.

As the mare’s gaze settled back upon the stallion a wicked smile twisted up his stained lips, a look that caused the mare to tilt her head slightly in confusion. Finally his words ring out into the icy air, telling the mare his reason for such a look. The equine said that he wasn’t sure how his statement would go over, but if she was interested he had seen an equine on his travels through the cavern, saying that he always enjoyed a hunt when he was down. At that word the mare’s eyes widen in excitement, a wild smile plastered across her elegant lips. How long at it been since she tasted the flesh of another equine?Far too long! The voices were rejoicing, praising this unknown stallion for his gift of a meal. ”There is never the wrong mood for a good hunt.” The mare’s words were light and airy, her hooves beginning to dance along the ice covered ground. She tossed her head gracefully, sending her mane into thick tangles. The stallion spoke once more, saying everyone deserved fun; no matter how wicked the world was. ”And fun we shall have!” The mare’s words were laughed out, her mind reaching a hysterical high. She had never hunted with another; this would surely be a fun new experiment. ”I would love to accompany you into the heat of the hunt. Lead the way sir.” Her smile could not settle on sincere or maniacal and so it flit between both, her excitement evident on every portion of her bodice. This boy was turning out to be far more of a prize than she previously thought.
@[Vulture]

Deceased
Adoptable

Vulture

The mare compliments my judgment. I laugh a bit. “It’s a skill I’ve recently learned.” I say. Threats on my life lately have been motivation enough to know when to question and to stay silent. Plus, I don’t really give a shit half the time about people’s problems, and I consider this to fall under that category. I’ll admit that this mare has got me intrigued enough to at least speak with her ,which is a feat few can pull off. Plus I find within her similar company that I can truly appreciate, as long as she doesn’t decide to make me dinner. I wonder why this mare doesn’t reside with the Asylum, but I also don’t blame her. She should covet the freedom she has, because I am bound to the group until I die, as much as I would like to leave it.

The mare reassures me about the nightmares, and I am unlikely to believe this because of all the years my horrors have tormented me. It’s a price I pay for their blood I suppose, just a small scar no one can see. If my guilt could appear as scars what would they look like? Would I be as ugly on the outside as I am on the inside? That matters little because I know already my outside is marred enough, should only be awhile before I am completely atrocious on the outside. I’m skeptical that the evils my grandfather did to me will ever fade. “Not sure if I believe that it will fade, but I’ve learned to cope with the nightmares.” It is somewhat the truth. Some days I can have a violent nightmare and function just fine, other days

After I speak of my own damnation, and she chimes in a bit that makes me laugh softly. “We can waltz with Lucifer,” I say smirking a bit. It feels quite nice to joke about, it’s been awhile since I’ve been able to do something like that with another individual. Most individuals I encounter today either want to kill me or I want to kill them. That really doesn’t permit much of an opportunity for humor. Then she goes onto a far more philosophical bit of words. “I tried to deny my sins, and well, that was a waste of my breath. Giving into what you are makes you feel better and I just find letting things go makes your life easier.”

The mare is confused at first at my expression, but when I speak a look of excitement passes over her face, and she proceeds to agree. Her body tells me how excited she is, the expression on my face shifts from wicked to a bit more genuine. I don’t say anything in response to her words, but I do dip my head and turn and begin to trot out of the cave. Oooh, Beloved you found a beauty, I’m so proud. Kestrel practically shrieks in my mind. Make sure to let her have the first bite because it’s polite. And let her have first claim to the innards. I believe Kestrel is reading into this far too much, we’re just killing something together, not making a fucking foal.

I glance about and take in a deep breath, scenting for our prey. A stale scent comes with the cold wind, and I begin to walk upwind. “I can smell him this way.” I say looking back at the mare. “By the way, my name’s Vulture.” There is no harm in giving away my name, especially since this mare is going to be my hunting buddy. I wouldn’t go as far to say she doesn’t mean me any harm, I believe that she very well could turn on me, so I just need to keep a careful eye to ensure she doesn’t decide I should be her meal instead.

After a short while I find the scent much more strong as I reach the edge of a cave. My eyes narrow as I take in the scent and nod when I am sure it is our target. “I think I found him. How about we work together and corner him, and then whoever is closest can take the first stab… Should we make it quick or slow so we can hear him scream?” I turn and look at my fellow hunter.

@[Epona]

Image Credit