the Rift

[OPEN] lakeside slumber;
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

He let the silence be, simply walked across the sun-warm earth. Tall, coarse grasses, still green but not with the vibrant hues of spring, waved gently in the faint breeze, whispering words not meant for the ears of equines. The gull cried its telltale, ugly song, a keen reminder of life in the Edge—a life a long time ago. His tail lashed once against his hocks, sticking against his muddied legs again. Curiously, he peered at her from the corner of his eye. What was she thinking? Was she thinking about herself, or the little bit of truth he'd revealed about himself? He hoped it was the former. He didn't need more mares investigating the state of his soul and mind.

When she finally spoke again, it was a question about him, but not what he had feared. He let his breath out in a long sigh. Why, indeed? Maybe because loneliness didn't affect him the same way as it did others. True, he nearly always enjoyed a spot of company to keep his rambling mind distracted, an intellectual conversation to entertain him when the duties of life became dull and boring.. the chance to glean more of whom it was he talked to, little bits of secrets slipping out twined around words. Or maybe long stories willingly shared, of foreign cultures far away, or other such things—but even when left to his own devices, Mauja never truly suffered. At the end of the day he talked to himself, because it was better than nothing else, but being alone did not plunge his spirits into deep depressions. He was fine on his own, but enjoyed leading, guiding, protecting... So while ruling with his own brand of altruism, it was as much for himself as for his people. He craved the status in society, but never sought to hold it with corruption, fear, and greed.

"Company has its pros and cons," he replied with faint humor. It was a sad thing that she, who desired company, apparently had been left alone for so long, when there were others more fit to bear the burden of loneliness. "Though right now, it's for.. political reasons, I guess you can say." He gave a small shrug. In terms of Helovia, he wasn't downplaying it: but in terms of the impact it had had upon his life and mind, he was. Helovia cared naught of who sat upon the Basin throne or what that mind dreamed of, but for Mauja, coming to the conclusion that he could no longer side with the Plague's ideals had been.. overwhelming, truly. And still was. Frankly, he didn't know how to act if he came across one of them, what to say or do—or what they would say or do. So he kept to himself, simply because he wasn't ready for that confrontation yet.

And whoever ruled the Basin could keep the crown. He wasn't interested in it right now.

"Why are you alone?" he asked, gently. Any follow-up question to his own answer would skirt onto dangerous ground, to things he did not want to contemplate nor answer—things that went too deep, and were too dark. He would not betray the Plague, anyway. He wasn't ready. He hadn't processed it enough. Didn't fully know where he stood. And so, he leaped onto the chance to divert the conversation to her, away from him, away from all things grim and dark and twisted. "If you don't mind me asking, that is," he added after a heartbeat, an afterthought of courtesy, knowing what it was like to value one's privacy and secrets highly—but also craving her answer, because if there was one thing Mauja devoured, it was the knowledge of others'.
Mauja
must keep those black wings folded until the time is right
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

Gazing around with curiosity at their surroundings as they began to morph into something other than just forest she tried to recall if she had ever been here before. Trees, trees and more trees that turned into open grasses with the occasional tree, hmmm that was a hard one. Practically everywhere had something similar she had no clue where the hell they were. For being a wild species she really drew the short end of the stick being given life without having any real sense of direction. If they were heading north she would likely think they were going south. Certain things stood out in her mind but they tended to all jumble into a big uncertainty when she needed to recall directions to get somewhere. The leopard stallion leading her on the other hand seemed to have a much better sense of direction and for this she was thankful.

As he spoke again a small smile played at her lips on the topic of company having pros and cons. While she desired to have companionship she could imagine the other side of it when you had too much company. If that were to happen one could easily get annoyed by not being able to get alone time to clear their head. She could imagine it being like the buzzards that followed you around on certain occasions hoping you would have something to give them. No matter how angry you became they seemed to linger with their beady little eyes following your every movement. The only choice you had was to wait them out and eventually they would move on to other things that were more promising. The whole political aspect that seemed to be Mauja's reason to escape company really made no sense to her but she just went along with it enjoying the sound of his voice as he spoke.

Her foot was aching with all this walking but she grit her teeth to put up with it as she did not want to be the reason they ended up stopping. She did not want to be that frail mare who couldn't deal with a little pain and discomfort, she was stronger than that or at least she was determined to be. "Why are you alone?" The dreaded looming question finally came to the surface forcing her to look back again. No one had ever really asked her why she was alone, no one had ever cared. Could she open up about this? Was she capable of doing it? Mauja had been kind enough to indulge her curiosity with answers of his own life I guess he deserved the same from her she reasoned silently.

"I've been alone since I was young, you see my..my family they were killed when I was only a couple months old." She replied quietly looking down to the ground as she spoke. "Somehow I ..managed to get away but some days I wish that I hadn't... for what happened in the following years was nothing but a nightmare..." Trailing off into a few moments of silence she didn't know what else to say. Now that he knew the truth of her past would be abandon her like everyone else? Did she make the wrong choice in revealing this piece of her past that she had not shared with anyone else?

TAGS: @[Mauja]
MUSE: Good
NOTES: :)

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo
Ascended Helovian

She was silent for a little while—not that he faulted her for it. You had to take your time to figure out what to say, if anything at all, if you thought you could trust whoever it was that was asking... If not answering was worth it, if answering was worth it, lots of little things. In the end, it came down to what you thought was safe, decent, and what you actually wanted to say. Or rather, if you wanted to answer. It was what had surprised him about his encounter with Nyx.. that something in him had wanted to answer her probing questions, even though the words that left him were tinged with darkness.

His black-rimmed ears perked up, then one drifted sideways and back, listening to the brief, hesitant answer. Out of the corner of his eye he saw her gaze cast downwards, as if somehow ashamed of what she'd been through—but shouldn't those guilty be ashamed of what they'd done, instead of she? If unfortunate events and bad luck had hounded her, was she to blame? No. She was not like him: she hadn't chosen her darkness.

At least, it didn't sound like it, from the way she'd put it.

His steps slowed slightly, large head turning sideways again to better look at her. "Brisa," he said gently, hoping her name would catch her attention; a few years ago he would've thought she deserved it, wouldn't he? Simply because she had no horn? Yet now he found himself thinking it was a sad thing she'd suffered so much, and that it had all started before she'd been old enough to make any kind of damning decisions for herself. "You're in a new place now. Don't hold on to the past so hard that you lose sight of the future."

[ Short post wanted to be short, so I let it. :P ]
Mauja

The familiar drag of pent up emotion could be felt edging up around her tantalizing and threatening to pull her within the pool of darkness. It was similar to walking on thin ice where you never really knew when or where you would fall through the cracks but you knew it was bound to happen eventually. When the water had consumed her previously that day she had been so willing to let it drag her under without so much as a fight but something seemed to hold her precariously on the threshold this time. Was it the fact that she had found light within the darkness before in the form of the leopard man beside her? Her freedom to walk away from the situation before had sparked hope within for the chance of a better future but what held her here now? If her light was to walk away with her most recent revelation she would be plunged backwards into the darkness nipping at her heels.

A soft sigh escaped her as her blue eyes grazed over the terrain beneath her feet. A miniature forest of withered stalks blanketed the dirt attempting to hide the ugly brown from the rest of the world. It was a cover and nothing more, the closer you looked the deeper you could see beyond the surface until you were left with only dirt. She had worn a mask most of her life trying to conceal herself from those around her but was the sad reality that it only worked in her own mind?

White harks tipped forward as her name was spoken rousing her slightly from her staring contest with the earth. "You're in a new place now. Don't hold on to the past so hard that you lose sight of the future." She had been half expecting to receive no response or at least something that was anything but what had been spoken. Lifting her crown slightly her gaze rose to meet Mauja's with borderline confusion. How could she look to the future when her past kept reliving itself time and time again? Progress had been made in her personal books considering she would never be standing here if it had been only a few short months earlier.

"I try to look to the future its just certain cycles are harder to break than others especially when abrasive pigheaded single sighted morons are involved. It hasn't exactly been a choice I get to make considering the outcome is always just as painful and bloody in the end." She commented with a slight shrug. She wanted things to be different, she wanted the choice to be one of her own rather then a forced decision. "You are one of the few who have made me reconsider what others are really like. Instead of leaving me to die back there like everyone else did in the past you chose to save me, for which I am grateful. I only wish that there was some way in which I could repay your kindness."

NOTES: Finally back from Vegas XD

-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Ascended Helovian

And maybe it was time that he followed his own advice—let go of the bitterness, the hate, all the blackness he carried around in him like a plague-cloud. All the guilt, shame, regret and self-loathing. Maybe it was time that he pulled himself from the surface of his own black sea, and rose into the moonlight, above all the negativity, and all the crippling, vindictive rancor. But if there was one thing haunting him, hounding him across the face of the earth, it was one thing: that he had never learned how to forgive himself.

".. especially when abrasive pigheaded single sighted morons are involved." It would be incredibly inappropriate to laugh, but her words made him want to, just as much as they made him wonder what, exactly, she had been put through. Life was hard for mostly everyone, and that was a truth you couldn't escape, but life was harsher on some. Starving, or being beaten, was like trying to choose between pest and cholera. Both were bad, both were hard and harsh, but being the victim of another's rage and ideas usually left deeper wounds. If he had to pick between being at the mercy of nature, or at the mercy of some idiot's whims, he'd pick nature any day of the week. Then, at least, it was only him and the world. Everything was so much harder when other people got involved.

"Mmh," he hummed when she fell silent, ears flickering to the rhythm of his pacing. "I can imagine it has not been easy, having had all your choices stripped from you.. and all your faith in the world crumbled." His voice was soft, almost tentative as he navigated the waters of words. While he had a hunch of what she'd been through, the gist of what kind of life she'd led, he didn't want to make assumptions. It would be rude. He was silent for a step or two. You could lose faith in everything all by yourself, too. And to regain it.. if he ever found out how to do it, he'd share the secret, but even after so many years he still didn't know how to. "I'm sorry life has treated you this way so far," he finally said, wondering why such darkness could exist in a sunlit, warm world, here and now, wrapped in the words between them; wasn't it too beautiful a day to let such things exist?

But alas—he was done with living life with his eyes closed.
Mauja

This was anything but the reaction that she had been expecting. In reality she had been expecting something more on the lines of either complete lack of attention to her story or even boredom but to have some understanding? Things never ceased to surprise her rather sheltered opinions changing them for the better. Evolution some would call it, but she rather liked to think of it as adaptation to the wonderful realm in which gave them all life. Before sun came the harsh bitterness of the wind, ice and snow which in a way described not only the seasons but also the path of life. Things would always be bad one minute before relief would dawn for a millisecond before it would return to how things had been previously or at least similar to them. Maybe this was going to be the one time she got to experience something good in her life and have it carry through until death.

The apology was unexpected but somehow brought a small smile to her features helping to draw her back towards the light again. Really it made no sense as to why one such as Mauja would apologize given her circumstances were in no way his fault. Instead of commenting on it she let it slide without much of a fuss accepting that there were certain things she would never understand. " Somehow I survived through it, now its just a matter of trying to keep it from happening again. They say that time heals most wounds so I can only keep moving forward." She commented trying to sound positive almost as if she was trying to make herself believe it.

Moving on would be much easier if there were some way to get over the feeling of guilt and shame. Her child had been lost as a result of one such attack, she couldn't help but feel guilty for not being able to protect it from harm. While it had not been able to survive in the outside world yet she should have been capable of avoiding the situation or at least somehow defending herself. If only she had been gifted with this magic fire back then, it would have been able to protect them or at least given them a chance. Wasn't it strange that one minute the world destroyed all hope but the next sparked something that could have prevented the hope from dying.

Words once again fell from her mouth revealing the final pieces of the truth. " If it had not been for the death of my child I really don't know I would have wound up here. I wanted to let myself die along with my unborn child that day but something gave me the strength to find my feet again. Its been almost a year now since that day yet I still don't know what lifted me from that point. You probably think I sound stupid but its hard to explain.." Shaking her head to hide the moisture that had glazed her eyes at the memory she composed herself again quickly.

There finally her story had managed to be told to someone, in a way she regretted opening her big mouth but in the same sense she was glad it had happened. Usually it was only the voices in her own head that she would hear, hearing the words spoken aloud almost helped her feel a bit better.

NOTES: Hope it makes sense, took awhile to write

Ascended Helovian

[ Don't worry, it does! ^^; And this post is full of incredibly weird syntaxes and adjective combinations and.. lmao I don't even know, I'm rambling so bad but I feel like it's coming out like.. I mean.. "thoughtful ears".. come on. :| what am I writing. ]

Maybe it was not his fault that the world had been harsh to Brisa, but it was the kind of illogical injustice that made him seethe, blood chilling with the darkness in his veins; on one hand, he believed no one deserved misery. And on the other, he had often doled it out himself, separating lovers, ruthlessly dictating how the lives of others would be.. a sobering thought, yet another nail hammered into the coffin of his past and secrets. I'm different now something in him whispered stubbornly, I know how to value life despite its differences, and in the sunlight, that was easy to believe. But whatever his internal struggle, in the light, the angel's bright wings blotted out its shadow the carrion crow, and the only thing existing was his strange, deeply rooted anger at the unjustified injustices of the world.

"Time does," he agreed quietly, thinking of snowy vistas far to the north and cold, bitter nights with the taste of blood in his mouth and filling up his nose with its scent.. and of how deep despair, shame and guilt can be—and how far away they were now, those emotions. Some were closer than others, but not for the same reasons, not anymore. With emphasis on "most" things he added to himself, unwilling to say it aloud; with every word Brisa said, she suddenly seemed more and more fragile, and the last thing he wanted was to cloud the bright light she clung to, the hope of a better future. It could come to her, if she tried hard enough, and to try she needed faith and strength, and if he gave her doubts—told her that no matter how much time passed, some things would never heal—would she still have faith and strength? Or would she crumble in the face of such cruel hopelessness?

He didn't want to know. Didn't want to try and find out. Wasn't that cruel in the sunlight.

Somehow he'd expected a lull in the conversation, for the rhythm of their walk to silence their tongues—he was going along at a languid pace, slower now that they were fixed in the eye of warmth—but the sound of her voice broke his budding reverie before his mind had the chance to carry him away on the currents of thought and sunlight.

It was a tale he didn't know if he was worthy of listening to, if he ought to be trusted with fragments of what others had been through, but at the same time he was deathly curious of all things and drank her words up with thoughtful ears. She spoke of loss of life and the gaining of some semblance of strength, enough strength to break away, and try to end up somewhere new, somewhere better—and if his notion was anything to go by, she had. Helovia was far from perfect, not even a flawed paradise because paradise it was not, but it was a better place than others. He'd been around a bit, in the outside world. He'd often pondered his kinship to this corner of the planet, but never found any real answer.

"No, Brisa. You are no stupid." He didn't have the time to wonder why she would think that, fleetingly assuming it was because she had enough bad experiences to last her a lifetime as his mind mulled over her story. When he spoke again, it was in a soft, thoughtful voice, wanting to help her make sense of it but hesitant to assume too much. "Perhaps the child's death made you understand that death is not what we should want from life.. whether you knew it or not at the time? And in that, I expect some part of us would find the strength to break away, and go somewhere else.. to eventually, dare to dream..." His eyes wandered to the sky, to the faint wisps of clouds and the birds playing in the air; soon, they would turn south, away from the winter and snow. Absently he added, "Maybe you made yourself survive, so you one day could carry another child, to raise and love," as you yourself were not.
Mauja

The silence normally was enough to drive some to the point of insanity but in this case it gave more of a calming lull to the ivory mare. Feeling as if her mind were numb the soft sounds of nature around the pair dulled to no more than a whisper through her ears. Somehow she had managed to cut herself open and let the blood flow freely from her veins in a painful torrent yet as it closed back over it felt lighter and cleaner than it had been in a long time. Was time granting her some sense of closure to that part of her life or at least enough that each breath did not come as a struggle. Her movements felt in a way animated rather than under conscious control giving her a hollow feeling where pain once overpowered.

The masculine tone seeped gently into her bubble as her ears lifted to catch the meaning behind them. "Perhaps the child's death made you understand that death is not what we should want from life.. whether you knew it or not at the time? And in that, I expect some part of us would find the strength to break away, and go somewhere else.. to eventually, dare to dream..." Could dreams really exist in any other form? Such a tragedy had made her wish it had been her that had been taken instead for weeks afterward that night. Nothing had felt real at that time in her life but something had gotten through to make her want to take a step into the future. The mindless zombie was not who she was nor who she wanted to be, she wanted to start experiencing life instead of just drifting by in the wind.

Somewhere along the way she had stumbled and strayed from the path she had been trying to fulfill, but she had found it again thanks to the leopard man beside her. Hearing it from another allowed things to come back into focus, how had she missed it before? " I never thought I wanted a life where another depended on me in that way, never considered it before it happened. I hated the thing inside me as it was only a painful reminder of what had happened. It wasn't until it had been taken from me did I realize I could never have hated it." Her voice was soft but thoughtful as she spoke aloud the realization she had come to. Things had not been kind to her but when she had seen the tiny creature she loved it more then she ever thought possible.

" Maybe one day I might get to experience things in a more positive light. Until then all I can do is put one foot in front of the other and hope to not step in any holes." A light laugh broke free of her throat as she couldn't help but find irony of it all quite amusing. A hole was one thing but if it contained any roots and was underwater that was a whole other issue.

NOTES: All makes sense you are all good XD