the Rift

[OPEN] To Serve

Evers the Able Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 12 Buff: NOVICE
Rita :: Greyhound :: Water Mold imi

Sometimes we don't learn from our mistakes
Sometimes we've no choice, but to talk away

The time was early morning and frost hung in the air, clinging to anything and everything. Evers and Rita walked with damp coats and cold water dripped off the blue roan's many black horns, catching on his sooty legs before rolling off. Cloud loaded the sky in it's bleak embrace and the Able's thoughts mirrored them, his life had become so black and cold, so lifeless and lonely. Irrydae was fast becoming the only light in his shattered world, and even that he'd managed to mess up. His thoughts churned and memories triggered; a mare's face, feelings of love... A child who meant everything. The flashback turned foul, their bodies dead, the ground an unnatural red, his heart twists and breaks. Then nothing. Reality snapped back after he'd taken in a sharp breath, eyes tight in pain and confusion. What were these memories that kept haunting him? Were they even memories at all, was he hallucinating a family he had been certain he never had. Yet, the blue never knew his life before Mandrake and suspicion crept up on him, making him feel sick and lost in a world of complete darkness. Mandrake was gone, he should be happy in his freedom, but it was just like her to leave him so helpless and lost. Nobody could answer the burning questions he had, he would never find out who these horses were or why it hurt so much to watch them die. Maybe if he remembered more... But the more he tried, the more it hurt and he left it unsolved, niggling at him everyday.

In his inner turmoil he completely lost track of his wondering and would have dangerously kept walking into claimed territory if it wasn't for Rita, who barked her alarm forcing the blue to stop just before the start of a dark looking forest. If he was right in remembering the direction he had taken after the Threshold, perhaps this was the start of Worlds Edge territory, a land he knew little of but had met some of it's inhabitants on travels and whilst he was Chief. Pulling himself out of the slump he'd allowed himself to fall into, Evers thought back to his reasoning for heading this way, he'd wanted to talk to Irrydae in privacy, but also not wanted to go back to the Foothills with dear, ever faithful Locket. Torleik had been an interesting character with his friend, the Able would not forget his face fast, but the snow and mountains didn't quite appeal and spurred him away from asking for refuge. The former leader sought a new life, his brothers had their own now, it was time his next chapter started.

Which brought him here. Wait, don't move until someone notices us Evers informed his bonded who nodded her head in approval. It was not wise to enter another's territory without asking prior permission, especially when this herd was relatively unknown to the roan. Normally, the elder stud would have found life in travelling and learning, but history had been cruel and he found himself needing something to occupy his mind other than Irrydae's beautifully carved face.

Evers came here to serve, to repent for past mistakes and make himself a better stallion. He would do this by helping others and taking on responsibility, a new family. His brothers would always be his brothers, even after what they did and what they were, but the life of trailing around after them was over and as Orangemoon blew away summer's leaves, he thought of his old life blowing away. Spring would be here again.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
The chill in the air woke her sooner than she had wanted, but with the air turning cold again there was little time to sleep anyways. She had gone to sleep with a mission in mind and the morning was always the best time to travel. She was headed to the Foothills, in search of the leather worker she had heard lived there, to see if a tent could be made. She needed something to keep the snow out and to keep her materials dry from the autumn rains. Yes, leather would be perfect- she only hoped she wouldn't be asked to gather the materials. The poor girl with the gentle heart didn't think she had it in her to go hunting. Still, with a determined air about her, she gathered up the rather large glass basket she had made herself, the handle settling easily in the space between her teeth, and she set off towards the border and the wall.

In time, she made it to the wall, the sun still rising up in the sky, trying to warm the poor land but offering little more than rays of light. Kahlua would not complain. The darkness was her enemy. It held all the things she feared. The sun was good, bringing life to the earth. She smiled. With one final step, Kahlua was beyond the confines of the wall, her basket swinging freely in her mouth as she picked up a bouncy trot. Her gait stopped short, however, when she heard a bark ahead in the forest.

At first the girl's mind went to Vertigon, the maned wolf that had taken to the forest, but she knew his voice and that sound was not his. So trying (and failing) to put on a brave face, the girl moved towards the sound cautiously. It was not long before she finally spotted the roan through the trees, a dog at his heals. In a moment her fear left her, a smile gracing her face, her cautious walk returning to a bouncy trot as she come up to the stallion. With the wall just off in the distance, Kahlua knew she could always run back home if she needed backup. So instead of worrying too much, she nickered.

The first thing the girl noticed as she came upon the stallion was the horns that projected from his neck. For a second her heart jumped into her throat, afraid that it was a unicorn from the north here to harass them some more, but a second after that she heard Kaj yelling in her ears, telling her that she was racist for thinking every unicorn to be bad before she met them. And if there was one thing she did not want to do, it was incite Kaj's anger any further. So swallowing her heart back into her chest, the girl halted and set her glass basket on the ground, nodding her head to the stallion. “I'm Kahlua, Glazier of the Edge. How can I help you?” Her blue eyes watched him, cautious but not rude, her voice a dancing soprano that filled the trees. And, because she could not help herself, she nodded and smiled to the dog as well, finding her to be rather cute.

OOC| Wasn't really sure where he was in relation to the wall, so if you don't like where I've placed him beat me with a fish and then I'll change my post <3

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Hidden Account
@[Kahlua]
[dern I'll be honest and say I totally forgot about the wall you are free to slap me >< I'll get used to it being there at some point lol where you've put him is totally fine, thank you! xD Sorry the lateness too, xmas shenanigans]

The first to notice a different presence was Rita, whose keen nose scented the mare and she then informed her bonded, who pricked his ears and waited rather nervously to see who would emerge from the trees. If it was anyone they didn't particularly want to see then Rita would have told him, but if it was someone they knew she would have told him as well, that meant the horse coming towards them was someone completely unknown. A pair of eyes he would never have seen before. Evers had never been to the Worlds Edge before, he had greeted Mirage as a friend when a leader of the Foothills and even travelled to the Dragons Throat, but never had he been to the misty land far to the west. He wondered if any of his brothers had ever been here, Archibald had never mentioned it, Casimir was always far to nervous to actually do much by himself and the others kept themselves to themselves. Conclusion; probably not.

He could a figure now, catching the faint feminine scent before bits of light showed her pelt to be of monochrome patches. She seemed uncertain and carried a beautiful basket that shone with the hues of glass making. Evers blinked in surprise, he'd never seen something made from glass before. When he was Chief of the Foothills, his Mason had crafted using stone. Less appealing on the eye than glass, but more robust and weathered nicely. Intrigued, he placed a warm smile upon his features and dipped his head when she introduced herself.

Kahlua.

A Glazier. So was she the master creator of such a beautiful piece of work that was now sat upon the ground? Rita had noticed it as well, her tail had come to life when the mare had put her masterpiece down, paws itching to go over and inspect it. "A pleasure to meet you Kahlua. I'm Evers and this is Rita" he nodded his fellow skinny blue friend who yapped in greeting. "I've come looking for something to do. I'm fed up of travelling and my mind needs an occupation. I was wondering if the Edge would allow me to serve them?" It had been a while since he'd spoken words like that, he had little to offer in the way of sheer brawn like Archibald would have, but he was smarter than that oversized brute. A mind could be just as powerful as the hoof and claw.

"The basket you carry is beautiful, did you make it yourself?" He asked with great curiosity. Evers always loved talents like this, a little different and something new.

Perhaps it was lucky she had chosen this day to bring her basket with her. She did not know that the basket was the cause, but the smile that crossed the stallion's lips instantly set her at ease. She was brilliant in her response, her own smile radiating forth and brightening the day if, indeed, the sun needed any help. As for the pup, if Kahlua could have read her mind she would have been overjoyed. The girl lived, fed on compliments, eating them up like candy. To know her work was appreciated... well, she lived for the joy. The girl was lucky to have found something she was good at. Not all were so lucky.

I'm Evers and this is Rita. The overo bobbed her head in understanding. Easy enough, though she had never heard of Mr. Evers. Regardless, she repeated his name in her head several times, a trick she used often to store the names of all the friends she met in the land. Some people were good at thinking, at pondering, at being intelligent. Kahlua was good at remembering names. Oh well, to each their own gift, perhaps.

“Oh, there's plenty of things to do here!” she burst out suddenly, after he had finished, the pleasure obvious in her voice. It was a special joy of Kahlua's to take up all the lonely wanderers of the land and give them a home in the Edge. Yes, Mr. Evers had wandered upon the right mare this day. That is, if he didn't mind his ears being talked off in the process. “What sort of work did you have in mind?” And she would have continued on, except his next statement stopped her short, blue eyes dancing in delight.

“Oh, yes! The moon goddess is very kind to me,” she offered in response. “I made this basket. Oh! And I made the wall back over the hill as well,” and she blabbered on for a while about the wall and its parts, its spiked projections protecting the top and the little doorway that let the horses in and out of the Edge and other such nonsense the poor stallion probably didn't care much about. But at least she finished up nicely enough. “Would you like to see it?” She grabbed her basket in anticipation of him agreeing. Who wouldn't want to see the wall?

Hidden Account

Like a bud blossoming into life Evers couldn't help but grin like an idiot influenced greatly by her smile as it radiated across her monochrome face, like she'd suddenly been set free of invisible chains. What a delightful girl she seemed to be, so raw and bright. Her glorious mood effected Rita too who bounced into life with a yip and endless flapping of an overenthusiastic tail. A charming moment indeed, life needed these little, simple pleasures to beat back the darkness of the world. When looked upon in the correct light nothing seemed so bad after all, at least, that's what it felt like watching Kahlua. He wondered if she had this effect on most horses, surely she must have a huddle of squabbling admirers somewhere, falling over her sweet smiles. There was something catastrophically wrong with the world if not.

He thought about her question for a moment, he'd been asked the same thing by Ktulu when he'd once requested admission into the Foothills. Back then it was braun or go home, however, Evers knew nothing about the Edge and it's ranks. Perhaps joyful Kahlua would know. "Information gathering perhaps or something more diplomatic?" He asked hopefully, clearly his skinny abode was not up to the task of becoming a warrior, he could fight to an extent, but not spend all day patrolling and sparring. The one off skirmish was thrilling, but day to day battling was exhausting.

His eyes brightened then at the mention of Gods, Evers had only ever really met the Earth God who had given him the best gift of all; Rita. He had lead his horses and tended to his land, he had always been allied to the Lord Earth, not by conscience choice, but simply by fate. The Edge lands must belong to the Moon. He gasped audibly at the word 'wall' and tried to imagine a glass structure of that size in his mind with no avail. Ears shot forwards and he nodded eagerly when sweet Kahlua asked if he should like to see it. "Very much so! If that's okay, I've never heard of a glass wall being made before. It must be magnificent."

As Evers lost himself in some child's fantasy, Rita had attempted to quietly move towards the glass basket, seeing if she could see her enlarged reflection of it's cold surface.

All around them the autumn leaves rustled, the trees alive in the cool breeze. The forest danced, in love with the season, and Kahlua found that even the chilly breeze did not bother her. She was working so hard, so very hard, to make Kaj happy. Not all unicorns are bad was her mantra now, five word she had to remind herself of every time she met another horned equine, but she was getting better. She was finding it easier to believe that Kaj was right, that not every strange unicorn was a danger to society. And besides, she had Kaj to thank for the new path her life was taking. She knew what she was going to do with her extra time. Evers echoed her very thoughts. Something more diplomatic.

“Oh, it's fantastic!” she tried to say around her basket handle, though it probably came out all muffled. She'd never really tried to talk with her mouth full of glass before. Regardless, she tossed her head in the direction of the wall and took off at a trot, the thing coming into view just moments later. And as it grew, Kahlua's heart swelled, until they were right upon it and Kahlua dropped her basket to the ground. “Do you love it?” She looked eagerly to him, suddenly feeling a strange desire to share something with him.

Well, strange to the rest of the world, perhaps. Kahlua made friends like rabbits made children. “Evers, I think becoming a diplomat would be just wonderful.” And she paused, if only to take a breath, so that she could continue on, voice dancing with excitement. “I just... I just want everyone to get along. And I'm trying so hard to follow Mirage and the Qian, to promote peace, and sometimes it's just so hard!” She sighed, just a little too dramatically, but perhaps it was all part of her childish charm. “And Kaj... Well, Evers, I thought about what I'm going to do. I'm going to ask the gods for magic, magic that will let me show others what its like not to be racist. I just... I hate it so much when the unicorns judge us before they know us. Not you of course. You've been nothing but kind.” And with a decided nod of her head she finished, “Evers, I'm going to make Helovia a better place.” Her blue eyes were so eager. She had so much to learn about the world still.