the Rift

How The Times Are Changing [open]

Maeve Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The wooded expanse was already turning the warm hues of auburn and gold, but there was an added flash of ginger as the mare trotted beneath the foliage. Plumes of darker strawberry locks shook and jumped over her face and neck, flowing in and out of her view haphazardly. As she had grown up past the gangly stage of clumsy filly, her hair had grown out and her body had grown thick. Now, at least, she had grown into herself nicely, but learning to look through an inflated curtain of forelock was annoying. Every so often she'd throw her head in an upward toss and clear her face just to feel the burst of cool air it provided. Even beneath her mop of mane, blue eyes scanned the forest casually, the scents of all matter of others riding clear on the air.

This was certainly not somewhere Maeve had ever been before, though she felt at ease passing the shadows of the massive redwoods. This land was new, and different, though how much she couldn't yet be sure. It had been just about a year since she had left her father and the herd to strike out on her own, and the hint of worry in her father's eyes was still fresh in her mind. He hadn't spoken a word of disagreement for her leaving, however sad he was to see her go. There was nothing there for her, and she had longed to take off on her own since she was old enough to stare off into the mountains and valleys beyond the glen. Now her time exploring alone seemed endless, and perhaps a bit lonely. There were the occasional bands she'd run into, but she hadn't wanted any permanent part of those small, traveling groups, and often avoided them in the beginning of her travels. Long months and a snow season alone had hardened her in some ways, but also brought the stark realization that some companionship of the right kind would be a good thing. Russet limbs came to a halt beside a pale tree, and the girl gazed deeper into the distance, resting quietly in thought.

</style>

Arrane Posts: 127
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 5 years
Orinthia
The season of autumn turned the woods to different shades of red and yellow, bringing an end to the scorching Summer. As the white stallion trotted into the forest, he was coming to a halt from racing from the sloping hills of his home. His red tinged mane flew into his cyan orbs, and with an annoyed snort, he regally tossed them out of his view. A single thought passed through his mind. Who would he meet today in the woods that he dreaded, and yet loved at times. During the period of darkness in Helovia, he yearned for the rays of the sun again, and steered clear of the forest with lurking shadows.

There was something eerie about the darkness that covered the lands. The blackness brought an ominous feeling of a gaping void. There were no stars, no moon. It was a time of blindness where the light couldn't be reached. Arrane's ghostly white figure rippled with compact muscles as he urged himself forwards, slowing to a halt. He had spent a good time running with the wind, but now a scent drifted to his nostrils. Stopped, he picked it up, wondering if there was a newcomer. The giant trees surrounded him, and the warrior moved with fluid strength as he was on the search for someone.

There, by a tree, he spotted a russet mare using its trunk as a support. A friendly smile appeared on his maw, he approached the lady, sensing she was in deep thought. Her blue eyes seemed fixated on something in the distance, and to not startle her, the stallion caused quite a commotion not to startle her. Dipping his dished head in a bow of respect, deep vocals spoke to her a kind tone. "Good evening, Miss", with a brief introduction, Arrane felt as if he didn't want to bore her by speaking too much. "I am Arrane of the Windtossed Foothills". With another causal glance, he noted the lady was compact, her figure laced with hidden strength. "May I ask you what brings you out here?"

Politely standing his distance away from her, the stallion averted his eyes away and back to her. There was no need to make the mare feel cornered or uncomfortable. He hoped maybe she was willing to hear about the home he wanted to offer her, and the loyal family there that would await her.

Unregistered

The thuds of approaching hoof-steps were almost missed by the ginger's ears as she remained still, lost in thought beside the whitened tree. It wasn't until the sounds came closer that her reverie was completely broken. Alerted, she shifted her fluffy pillars to get a better look at the approaching form. It was an equine, lacking a horn from all she could tell, and an elegant male one at that. She was so used to her own type that the missing horn was the first thing she noticed. It didn't bother her in the least, though she was glad to have her own. It was a useful tool in a serious fight, if you knew how to use it.
He was mostly ivory, with a chocolate muzzle, but even more striking were the garnet ends of his mane. Craning her neck to see, icy orbs checked to see if the tail matched, which it did. It might have been a rude gesture, but it had been a while since she'd seen anyone else. Aligning herself back into a more relaxed stance, her white lips pulled into a friendly smile as the boy spoke. He had to be around her age, and about the same height, too, though of a notable more slender build. Still muscled and capable, for sure, but pretty and not brutish.

"Pleased to meet you, Arrane of the Windtossed Foothills. I'm Maeve." She spoke warmly, grinning a bit harder as she repeated his whole title. She couldn't resist; it seemed a bit pretentious to go around stating such a long title for oneself. Still, maybe she had traipsed onto this stallion's territory. The stag had placed quite a space between them when he halted, and Maeve began to walk forward and close the distance as she went on. "I actually don't quite know where here is, to be honest. I've been roaming southwards for about the last year, just exploring and finding my own way around." The roan came to stand just before the stallion, making sure to at least leave enough distance so that her horn wouldn't be too imposing in his dished face. It was no secret that some kinds didn't like others; maybe he was the type that didn't quite feel comfortable with horns waving around him. If that was the case, the meeting wouldn't end well. But judging by his politeness, she figured the boy was probably just a little shy. "Do you live here, Arrane?" Her voice carried lightly, hoping to get a little more conversation from the light hued equine.

</style>

Hidden Account
Orinthia
The mare's lips slowly formed a smile as he spoke, and she seemed thouroughly interested on his sudden appearance. Did he suprise her upon his arrival. Of course, the strong mare struck curiousity in the young stallion, as he gazed upon her with warm, blue eyes. As she spoke his name, for the first time in a long period, he felt a blush rise to his cheeks as her voice tightened at repeating his name. With embarassment, he decided to speak with a steady voice. "I'm sorry, my name is just Arrane, but I meant to say I'm from the Foothills", with a chuckle, he offered another bright smile.

"It is my pleasure to meet you, Maeve", with another grin, he flicked his tail and eagerly listened to what she had to say. Seeming a little straight foward, it was a good thing she wasn't timid like the others he met in these woods. It was nice to have someone that talked a lot for a change. Maeve seemed to close the space in between them, and Arrane was relieved she trusted him to approach him. He only kept distance from other horses to respect them, but he never minded when the closened to him. "Ah, I see", with another grin, the stallion couldn't stop being so happy right now. "Another newcomer to the vast land of Helovia", quieting his voice, he almost said it to himself.

Watching as she planted herself before him, he gazed up at her horn. "You know, I've always wished to have a horn of my own", in awe, he always admired the beauty that unicorns possesed. Wings of Pegasi just didn't spark interest to him. "I do live here, in the Windtossed Foothills. I actually was going to offer if you wanted to come live in our close knit family", hoping he wasn't forcing the idea on to her, he tried to reassure what he meant. "I am sorry for coming off so straight foward, I don't want to force you into anything you don't want to do", with a kind glance to the roan's orbs, he awaited her reply with a good natured feeling.

Unregistered

The alabaster buck was quick to explain his lengthy title, and Maeve suppressed a laugh at the slight color that rose in his face. She wasn't used to stallions being at all timid around her; the boys back in the glen had always treated her as just another one of their own. Then again, she had never been a stranger to anyone in there, and Arrane was brand new. It wasn't an unwelcome change, to be treated to so politely, but she didn't quite know what to do with her acquaintance's manners. Shaking her head lightly, more red locks fell around her face, hopefully blocking any hints of color that might end up blossoming in her own cheeks. No one had ever said it was their pleasure to meet her. He was nice, she decided, smiling more softly now. It seemed the forest had given her the company she'd been desiring for the last few weeks.

Arrane mumbled some words quietly, and she only just caught the tail end of them. "Helovia?" She mused, lifting her gaze around the darkening trees. The sun was lowering on the horizon, and soon the loud colors of the season would be awash with darkness. The feeling of eyes upon her brought Maeve's view back to the snowy horse before her. His own azure pools were on the long horn that curved from her brow towards the earth below. When she was younger, such staring would have sparked her to clobber the onlooker as best she could, but now she was used to the ocassional stare. Her horn was seen as strange at the least, and a deformity at the most, in her father's herd. Horns were supposed to be straight, but she had been born with one that curved. The other foals used to pick on her for it, until she'd shown them it was best to keep their mouths shut about it unless they wanted it jabbing at their scrawny hides. Now she viewed it as a useful tool, unique to the standards that most unicorns had. Still, it took her off guard when the stallion almost complimented her horn. With her own eyes narrowing forward to look at the ivory that ran from her forehead, she replied. "Ah, they're alright I suppose. Useful in a scrape, but they can get in the way sometimes, too." The blanch faced girl grinned as she recalled the time her friend Torren had gotten his tongue frozen stuck to his brother, Sindri's, horn. Yes, they could get in the way of things. Flicking her eyes back to Arrane's, she quipped playfully, "Maybe you'll get your wish. I've heard stories of the Gods granting some amazing things.". Her father used to speak of the God's powers, and she had never doubted them. But to think of anyone wishing for just a mere horn from the greater beings was ridiculous. Wings would be her choice of a new appendage; for they would give the ability of flight. She always had felt a twinge of envy when she saw pegasus riding high above the ground, dancing on the air currents. She had never seen a winged up close, but they often flew through the sky and always caught her attention during her travels. Suddenly, the boy spoke of his home, and his intentions of her recruitment into it. It must have either been a small herd that wanted to grow, or a larger one that desired more power. The smile grew weaker on her lips, replaced by a more serious expression and raised brows. "I have been traveling along for a long time, and I would not mind the company of a herd. I will need to know more about your group, though, Arrane. Are you a leader of the Foothills, or just a recruiter?" Maeve thought he looked a bit unseasoned to be a leader, but the nobility in his face was clear. Again, he apologized, seeming again to be touched with that bit of awkwardness. Her features softened and she smiled in reassurance. "You'd have a hard time forcing me to do anything, honey." She laughed, zestfully, rich feminine tones coating the air. She did not mean any offense, and for a moment she wondered if he would be offended anyways. Hoping to avoid that, as she was decidedly glad for his presence, Maeve went on. "Can you tell me more about this place; Helovia? What is like?"

</style>

Hidden Account
Orinthia
As the unicorn stood before him, she noticed how her smile softened up a bit. Was she used to harsh treatments, and fighting? The warrior mentally assessed her again, thinking about how she would be a great addition to the warriors. Her compact body was perfect for ramming into opponents, rendering them helpless with her staggering height. Lean muscles built her up, making her fiercely strong. Not only would she make a great addition for fighting, but also for the family. With a smile at her words, the stallion thought about having one for a second. "I guess so", confidently, he heard a rustle behind him and turning his head, he was met by nothing more than swirling leaves in the breeze.

As both of their faces hardened up, smiles no longer present, they were now down to business. "I am only a Warrior, but the leader is named Apollo", pausing he offered a little laugh after what she said. "Oh yes, it would seem like I would have trouble". Maeve was strong, and seemed very straight fowards. Someone with a stubbornly held opinion could not be obliged to do anything they didn't want to. "Helovia is a beautiful land covered with hills, where I come from, a blue sandy beach, a desert with an oasis, deep forests, and wooded cliffs by the sea."

" There are four herds: The Foothills, Dragon's throat, Aurora Basin, where only unicorns live, or the World's Edge. All I say about Helovia, is that it is beautiful. If you were part of a herd, you would still be granted to explore all of the lands, and there are more lands than what I just told you about", finally taking a breath, he realized what a blabber mouth he had become. Thankfully he had taken short pauses between the sentences.

Unregistered

The more Maeve thought about Arrane's invitation, the more she realized why she had ended up here in the first place. She was reminded of the growing feeling of unrest that had finally dominated her mind and catalyzed her leaving the only family she had. The feeling still lingered, although much weaker now after such a long time alone, through raging winter nights and summer droughts. The youthful desire for freedom was a tornado that had picked her up and spun away, only to spit her out here, at the crossroads of rogue and commitment. As her cerulean gaze sat on the horn-less stallion, it became more clear in her mind that she could not give up her still fairly new-found sovereignity for the invitation of someone she'd just met, even if that someone was as nice as Arrane. She would need to learn more about this place, and the Foothills herd, before swearing her loyalty.

It was a small relief when he laughed, thankfully finding no offense in her words. As he went on to answer her question and explain more about the land, the ginger became more curious about the place she'd just stumbled into. The expression on her blazed face grew somber. "This place sounds exciting. Thank you for your help, Arrane." She said, a small smile pulling her lips for only a moment. "As nice as your offer sounds, I'm afraid I can't join your family in the Foothills. There is more I need to do before I settle into any herd." Her tone grew more regretful, and she dipped her head politely before beginning to step away from the elegant horse. "I will come visit you in your Foothills after I've gotten my bearings here a bit more." With that piece of encouragement, she began to trot into the darkening trees, disappearing beneath the rising moon.

</style>