the Rift

[OPEN] monsters

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
Aurelia</style>
She will come.

The small miss that just wants a name will be here, by this pond. Hopefully a guest will meet her today, for it is awfully lonely in these dark woods during the dead of night. That is why she comes, though. She wants inspiration, but what for? She is a hopelessly lost investment right now, but the fae still tries. Feeling more comfortable in her skin, and in her mind, she visits this place to test it all. Her brain may not need testing, and it doesn't. What needs testing is her group idea and how to recruit. A newbie at the playing field of leadership ranks, she needs a plan for every possible outcome for every possible thing. Then again, not everything can be meticulously planned. Proof lies in the non-anticipated ending to her and the oracle's friendship and closeness.

Oracle...

She ached to go to the sandy dunes of her old home and visit her potential love interest (also known as an adult crush) and the oracle the she stills loves. The feeling of the sun tickling her back had been a lovely one, but it ended when the horn of a male-bitch scarring her flank. Bitterly, the girl shakes her head disapprovingly, ridding her mind of the thoughts of the male-bitch, before walking into a clearing. Her hooves dance around one last turn and she sees the glory of the pool.

She notices something eerily creepy. At the bottom of the pool are dark crimson pebbles and stones. What is odd is the fact that it is not one or two peoples, but the entire floor of the pool. Other than blood covered stones, she cannot think of other plausible theories to the pebbles' odd coloring. With this thought in mind, she halts a foot or so away from the icy water. Looking at the clear water, she admires it's mysterious beauty.

Has she fallen prey to this pool that may or my not want to claim her life yet?

That didn't matter a whole lot, though. Aurelia knows, in the bowels of her mind, no one will even notice if she disappears right now. Does her old family even remember her name? Is is a sad thing, life, but she knows life isn't fair sometimes. With a slight sigh, she continues looking around at everything. Is anyone here yet?

think think think think
talk talk talk talk

ooc; for anyone! :D @[Mauja] if you have time! <3
oh, tell me, what's the matter?</style>

image credits

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
And we're slipping off the course that we prepared...
There were some parts of Helovia he'd avoided since his return. Some he avoided on purpose (the north, the place where his heart lay buried, and he was too afraid to go find it), and some he avoided by accident—or, rather, some he simply hadn't meandered into. In all his time in Helovia the deep, dark forest of the southeast had never been one of his regular haunts. He'd been in a few times, and two stuck out more than the others: the time he'd been chasing Kou down, and the time the giant wolf-thing had knocked him over. All things considered, it had ended well, but there he was again, walking between the old, wounded trunks, contemplating life and death and mystery. The glow of his blaze cast a pale, sickly light on the things he came close to, and beneath his thick forelock blue eyes swept steadily, warily. He'd been taken unawares once before, and this was the place where it was the most likely to happen again. The thick, tangled undergrowth and bushes saw to that.

The world held its breath. No birds sang. It was as if it was simply waiting for the jaws to close over his jugular, and for the hot blood to rush out—black-rimmed ears pinned themselves against his thick neck. He would not be a victim here, not today, and with confidence, defiance even, in his steps he strode on. No matter how tarnished the mind, Mauja's body always remembered its bloodlines. He was a graceful ghost, a knight from some faraway court, but his mind was too busy worrying about giant wolves to notice, or to spend much time thinking about anything else.

Irma's talons squeezed his withers comfortingly, and he kept going, plowing deeper into darkness and myth. For once it matched his inner journey, going deeper into the tangled trees and wondering which paths that led out, back to the light—and which just led deeper into despair. He knew that this forest had a heart (just like you do) and he'd been there, once, but did he know the way? To either? His frosted hooves spent less time on the ground, coming down with urgency and leaving for another step, but still he did not run. Head high, swinging from side to side, Mauja stared into the vast depths of the forest, his nose twitching for any scent of the red water, where is it? It suddenly seemed so important to find it, to reclaim some insignificant piece of his past, but he couldn't have said why.

And just as he was starting to suspect that he'd not find it, he stumbled upon it, as you always did with things you were looking for. Abruptly he came out of the thick forest to grind to a halt; the clearing spread out before him with the mighty fir at its center, and the blood-red pool so calm and still beneath it.

But he wasn't alone.
Mauja the Frostheart
Credits
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

baylee
Aurelia</style>

She hears shuffling hooves on the other side of the large pool and tree. Who could it be? Immediately, her thoughts swerve to some beast that eats horses. She looks down at the pool, seeing blood-dyed stones and pebbles. No, Aurelia... That can't be what happened here. Get a grip! Adding a spoonful of courage to her mind, she does not run away like the fool she used to think herself to be. Despite that little bit of courage, she continues hope the tree is wide enough to hide herself from the stranger that has just arrived. With no idea of who it is, she is scared-- but also slightly curious.

Looking up from the pool, she realizes she can see a horse bright like the stars that glint in the sky. Does this mean he can see me? Yes, he probably can see the fae, but Aurelia isn't using logic. She feels herself gasping for air. Has the air gotten thinner? No, it hasn't, but the awkward mix of fear and bravery make her feel like she is dying. Flicking her head up once or twice and closing her eyes, she tries to think of happier things.

Butterflies, the Sun, galloping in meadows...

The feeling of being suffocated fades, though a pit forms in her stomach. Timidly, the lass opens her eyes. She still sees the figure, and stares at it. Maybe the feeling of death has brought back a sense of ease in her-- sort of? She is still nervous, but slightly less so.

As she stares, with white pupils, she can see spots on the beast's pelt. What she can also see is a horn. She moves clockwise around the lake towards him. With every step she takes closer to him, she can see another feature. With a young and healthy nose, she can smell he is male. Well, yes, maybe she can just see things, too.

Walking in the shallows of the pool is too dead and done, so hydrophobic Aurelia walks in the forest (like an idiot), not very close to the water. Halting, she hopes to stand a little ways behind him. Have the shadows cloaked her well enough? Her dirt-ridden coat are good at camouflaging her stark coat, but is it enough? Halting at the treeline, she looks stares at him.

If he hasn't seen her yet, he's an idiot that won't survive a day here.

She casually stares at him longer. Possibly, this could be considered strange (staring from behind), but she likes to call is "casually seeing his.. everything.'' So, now you've probably realized howstrange the golden dapple girl really is.

And now that you know, what do you think?

think think think think
talk talk talk talk

ooc; lol, shiftey eyes. can she actually see things? XDD This post is weird and strange.. >.> excuse that. xDD

image credits

Ascended Helovian

if the walls were too thin you would break right in

He saw her immediately. There was no way he couldn't.

She was a slight thing, just a girl, and certainly not a wolf, even though her coat was dirtied. It looked pale, maybe even yellow, underneath the layers of grime and dust, but if anything she seemed gray and drab right now. Maybe she was a girl who wanted to be a wolf? To be something more than just a little girl in a world full of hungry teeth and traps? Maybe she wanted to be the one who had teeth, so she let the dirt cling to every piece of her body to turn her wolf-gray. Mauja's eyes narrowed. He didn't trust wolves, whether they were wolves of the body, or wolves of the mind. And thus, he did not speak, nor move—simply watched, and waited.

Her eyes closed. His remained open. What was she doing? She had, very clearly, seen him too. And promptly shut her eyes. Was she afraid of wolves, too? Am I a wolf? Maybe once he had been, all winter and cold hunger and sharp, icy teeth, his breath like the tundra wind—rugged and dangerous, with a keen mind and a likeable face. Wolves were beautiful, too.

We're all wolves.
All monsters.

The whole thing felt surreal. Between the red water and the old, arcane markings scrabbled into wounded bark the entire forest was surreal, but this, it somehow surpassed it. He felt detached, as if his soul swam somewhere above his ears, and she, what was she doing? She began to traipse along the edge of the pool, as if she wanted to stay out of sight, but surely she had to know that Mauja was watching? And that he wasn't about to stop? She slipped through the trees, weaved with a young girl's grace, and slowly Mauja's neck began to bend to keep her in his sights. How far was she going? And why not simply away? His slow pulse counted the time until she'd found her position. She stood behind him, staring unabashedly with milk-and-honey eyes. And he stared right back, white creased into a frown over glacier blue; what on earth was she doing? And what was wrong with her eyes? It nearly sent a shiver down his spine. Even though he'd had dealings with a fair share of magical creatures, even the most fantastical of Helovia's population had "normal" eyes. Was the girl blind? And if she was, why did she stare so accurately? Was she even mortal?

"What are you doing?" he finally asked, more perplexed than upset with her strange behavior. She looked, and smelled, just like a dirty little girl, and he had to admit it: he was terminally nosy.

But with her odd behavior earlier, he didn't expect much of answer. In fact, that she'd just bolt at the sound of his voice seemed the most likely.

baylee
Aurelia</style>

Awkwardly, he stares at her, as she stares at him. As the girl stops moving, her head facing him and her butt facing the trees, she cocks an eyebrow at him. As the stark and gold girl continues to stare, she hears a few words flow from between his lips, and sports a soft frown. "What are you doing?"

Should I let him believe I'm what I'm not? Aurelia would usually not do anything like that, but it seemed like an opportunity that she could not pass up. She could be anything she wants, weird or otherwise. Doesn't everyone want a chance to start over at least once? She hasn't surveyed anyone, but she figures they do.

"What am I doing?" Her voice is normal. Perhaps she isn't in the mood to be anything other than herself. "Well, I could tell you my life story about my journey through the Threshold to the Throat and how I got here, but I'll spare you that sob story." Her tone is honest (and very much real). She reaches her muzzle forward and takes a good sniff of him. He smells like this damn forest. Her upper lip curls upward. "What are you doing here?" As her lip goes back to it's normal place, she speaks. Her words are fierce, like a warrior's. Muscles ripple under pink skin as she steps towards him.

Staring at him hard, again. She stares because that is how she is able to get all the qualitative appearance observations she can. Things like how he speaks, what he looks like, and what he smells like have already been noted. Sadly, she has no grasp of his personality yet, so he seems slightly heartless as of right now. Why didn't she get a 'Are you okay?' NOPE, NO. That was too hard.

With a sigh, she continues speaking. "I'm Aurelia, a mare tryna start a group, but to be honest... I don't think it's working?" Now, she cocks her head to the side a little. Will he answer me? Is he the god of like... light and dark? Was that even a type of god? Hell, I had no idea.

think think think think
talk talk talk talk

ooc; no comments

image credits

Ascended Helovian

It was nice to, for once, not feel terrified of the world. When had he grown so shaken that almost any encounter sent his alarms ringing and mind reeling? But on that particular day, he simply felt calm, if a bit bewildered by her behavior. Unless she'd explode into raging flames and scorch both him and the woods, he felt sure he'd be able to handle her. Besides, she mostly seemed.. weird, and not threatening. Her eyes were a bit unnerving still, but even that surprise was fading, leaving him feeling quite content. Perhaps he'd been living in the wolf's mouth for far too long, walking on broken glass and eggshells—not everything had to be wicked. Sometimes, you could just find yourself in a forest with a young, curious girl, albeit an odd one.

The two sets of matching pale blue eyes kept watching her as she seemed to think on his question, before answering in a manner he hadn't quite expected. To her credit, she didn't bolt, but Mauja let a small frown slip through his control and onto his body. It wasn't the kind of answer he'd expected. He'd been wondering why she was slipping through the forest and outright gawking at him, but what he got instead seemed somewhere half between fishing for pity, and also somewhat..brusque? in her dismissal of herself. In his experience, mentioning that your past was "a sob story" meant that you wanted a leading question, just so you could expand, get some comfort and pity while remaining in your hole.

But somehow, it didn't quite seem like she wanted that. She was too calm, moved on too quickly, and gave him a face that made him think she detested having him in this forest. One ear flicked back. He almost wanted to chide her for the expression, but her lip came down again. "I wanted to see the red pool again," he simply answered, as calm and immovable as the glaciers themselves. "I was here two years ago." As the words left his mouth his thoughts and heart grew quiet. Had it been so long since he met the strange October, and the wary Couth? Two years? He suddenly felt incredibly old. Had this young mare even been born then?

She went on talking—and again, he looked at her blankly. Trying to start a group? What for? And another part of him said of course it's not working, you're too disorganized and strange. Slowly he began frowning again. It had almost sounded like a question, a plea for an answer, as if he somehow would know why she was failing at the task she'd set before herself. She had cocked her head, looked at him for a reply, maybe some kind of revelation. "Mauja," he offered with a slight shrug of his snowy shoulders, Irma firming her grip on him as he did so. "As for your group..." I can't believe I'm playing the therapist here. "What is its purpose? Goals, dreams, ambitions? Creeds? Have you reached out to any?" Part of him was genuinely curious, the spider at the center of the web rearing its head and wanting to climb back into place—to know it all. Knowledge is power, but also satisfying in a way he couldn't describe.. even if it was nothing more exciting than a young girl's search for adventure and company.

baylee
"I wanted to see the red pool again, I was here two years ago." His voice is smooth, and she liked the way it sounded. She looked down at the pool for a moment. Why is it red? Without a clue of the answer to that question, she asked this pale stallion with the dots. "Do you know why is it red?" Her voice is calm and somewhat sugared as she asked her question. This stallion probably doesn't know the answer, but that is fine. She'll have to figure it out one day.

After a moment of silence, the boy spoke once again. Answering my questions to him plus some more. Aurelia listened as he spoke. "Mauja. As for your group..." His smooth voice had made her spine shiver. This was a good sing, not a bad. Aurelia's ears perk forward as he continues. "What is its purpose? Goals, dreams, ambitions? Creeds? Have you reached out to any?" Purpose, goals, dreams, ambitions? Does he like how this interview is going? She shot him a soft (and flirtatious) smile. "Let's just say, my group is very interesting. Let's keep it's reasoning a secret for now. I can say, I have tried recruiting, and it almost blew up in my face... then it did." She paused as her eyes glanced over his ass area (if you know what I'm saying). Stallions show it off 'cuz they want it seen, right? Slowly, my gaze dropped to the floor.

"Mauja," She said his name is a flirtatious tone. The sound of her voice like a whisper. "what are you doing?" She means like with his life. Maybe, just maybe, she means it in other ways. It's obvious she is flirting, but the question is... Will he realize it? The Sultan didn't realize her flirts. Will this kingly looking animal take note of 'em?

Ascended Helovian

The worlds forgotten, the words forbidden...

Well, if she felt awkward talking to someone who hadn't been here since before she was born.. if she felt that way, she didn't show it. In a way it was a relief, to not have the contrast brought further to light—not because he minded (not yet, at least), but because.. well.. he couldn't quite put his hoof on why. Maybe he was just having a mid-life crisis and was relieved it wasn't pointed out how old he was getting? By the start of winter he'd be, what, nine? Nine. He shook his head slowly to himself. It wasn't that much, really, but if he looked at the life he'd lived, it seemed he was about halfway. Halfway to death. He gritted his teeth. That was, definitely, the wrong way to think about life.

"Do you know why is it red?" It wasn't actually red—not the water, at least. He remembered the clear liquid dripping from the jaws of one of the mares, though he couldn't recall which. It had tried to cling to its bloody color, sort of as if the memory colored its very core. It hadn't looked diluted, pink like blood in the water, but more like.. faded. "Mmh," he hummed, and actually moved a couple of steps away from her, back into the open clearing. Like a drop of god's blood the pool lay at the fir's base, vibrantly red despite the murky air of the forest. "The water is clear, actually. It's just reflecting through the stones, but why they are red I have no idea." It felt a bit strange talking to someone when you both faced the same direction, and he swung his hips slightly to the side, to better see her.

And maybe, just maybe, he regretted that he had.

She wore a soft smile, but there was something about it—something lurking along the edges, like predators smiling to show just enough fang at their prey.. something that was out of place on her young face, something that seemed to suggest things he never wanted to be in close contact with again. He felt his jaws stiffen, eyes growing guarded. Maybe he was wrong, though? Maybe he was just making things up.. maybe he always needed something to throw him off? No; he bit down on his own teeth harder. He needed stability. Stability within himself.

But more and more it seemed he wasn't making it up. Her voice had adopted a mysterious quality, soft, as if trying to lure him in with her half-veiled mysterious.

He didn't like it.

His ears canted back a fraction. Here he was, being all nice and curious, and instead of taking his advice seriously she started..fooling around. Because that was all it was: fooling around. Mauja had been dragged along in the wake of these female rampages too many times before, and he didn't want a part in it anymore—least of all with someone who was young enough to be his granddaughter (nevermind that the same was true of Ophelia). And if she tried to recruit all her members this way.. and by that, he meant the way her milk-and-honey eyes were tracing the contours of his backside.. it was no surprise her efforts had been in vain. It just might blow up in your face again he thought sourly, flicking his tail warningly. He wasn't interested in games. Or in silly mares. Or in girls pretending to be women of power, when all they were were daydreamers.

"Mauja, what are you doing?"

There were a great many things he could be doing: visiting the goddamn pool, for one. Being given uncomfortable attention from a girl was another. Or about to blow up in her face. A lot of things, really, and he brought his head up higher, ears falling back against his neck. "I'm disapproving of your behavior," he told her with a snort, eyes cold and flat. "That's what I'm doing."

baylee
Aurelia</style>

"The water is clear, actually. It's just reflecting through the stones, but why they are red I have no idea."" I know the water is clear. That is something very obvious, but maybe Mauja doesn't realize I am much more intelligent than he gives me credit for. "Honestly, Mauja, I believe the pebbles and stones at the bottom of the pool are stained crimson from blood." I look at him seriously. What if we are going to be the next horses the paint the stones an even darker hue? "Aren't you frightened at all?" There was an emphasis on the word frightened. I guess I'm kind of scared, and maybe Mauja will feel this way also.

Then things turn sour.

Mauja turns to face me head on. I am innocently flirting. I don't know if I really wanted anything to actually happen. Okay, maybe I do want something to happen, but Mauja seems like the nice-guy who doesn't want anything more. After I ask my question, his ears slips flat against his neck. What the heck is wrong with him?

It becomes clear after a moment. "I'm disapproving of your behavior, That's what I'm doing." I cock my head to the side and stare at him hard. "I meant with your life, Mauja." I shake my head side to side. I do not say another word. Instead, I walk right past him and halt right next to the pool. Bending my neck down, I allow my muzzle to slip under the surface of the pool. I sip on the cool water. If I'm going to die, I'd at least like to die in a peaceful forest. I retort in my mind.

After drinking my fill, I lift my lips back outta the water. "I think you are just uptight." I say honestly, cool water dripping from my mahogany lips. "That's okay, though. Everyone has a different personality." Some more fun than others. I wanted to add, but held my tongue. Could I get him to lighten up some and have fun for once? My god, you'd think he'd get called out for being such a killjoy. After being told off by him and drinking from the pool, I haven't made eye contact.

Could I get him to have fun at least once?

think think think think
talk talk talk talk

ooc; no comments

image credits

Ascended Helovian

"That is something very obvious, but maybe Mauja doesn't realize I am much more intelligent than he gives me credit for." /cackles xDD

"Honestly, Mauja," but there's no honesty here. His dreamy eyes were focused upon the pool a moment longer, taking in the red-ripples and the reflection of the mighty tree. The beginning of her words had almost had him thinking she'd berate him for something, but instead she proposed a rather interesting theory—and sounded dead-serious about it. A slight frown creased his 'brows. It didn't smell of blood, and, anyway.. wouldn't the color wash away, if it lay in water? Dilute, disappear? Unless someone died often enough... The sinister claw-marks on the ancient trees, their old wounds; and now this odd girl whispering of blood imprinting on stone and coloring them red. It was good enough of a story, with just enough backbone, to send a slight shiver down his spine, but at her question it turned into a snort. Frightened? Bah, no. He was on the lookout for giant wolves, and terrified of meeting Ophelia, but frightened of some unknown evil that, maybe, wanted to rip his heart out and bleed him out across the water? No. For that, he had no fear to spare, and simply shook his head, long mane waving against his neck.

"No," he answered her plainly, and said no more about it.

If he'd thought to put her off with this blatant show of disapproval, he was, sort of, wrong. And, vaguely confused. With his life? What he was doing with his life? Did "being harassed by mares" qualify as an answer? And had no one ever taught her social interaction? Had she never had anyone to watch, to view how they interacted, deciphered the assumed meaning of phrases? He couldn't read her mind; when she spoke outside of the norm, he was lost, and he drew in a deep, quiet breath as she side-stepped him. It was tempting to simply leave her to her folly in the forest, but he'd never been good at doing the right—sane—thing. "Did you never stop to reflect on the fact that 'what are you doing' usually refers to the current situation, the current action, and not the bigger picture?" he asked her coolly, and turned to keep her in his sights. There was no reason to keep broadsiding her, anyway, and despite the fact that he wasn't sure he liked her, he was a bit curious still, about the workings of her mind. In a way her retort made sense—when he'd asked her what she was doing, referring to her slipping through the forest and ogling him from the shadows, she had responded as if he'd asked for her past, her life-story, her current goal.

And in that way, it made sense that it was that kind of answer she'd wanted from him. But that, was an answer that he was loathe to give strangers; though in this case, this particular time, he gladly would've shouted it at her face. Because if he could've shouted it at her, he would've known himself, and maybe wouldn't have been trapped in the dank, gray fog of confusion. He was lost, the compass needle pointing nowhere, heart full of anguish and mind battling itself. When it came down to it, what was he—wolf, or dog?

"I think you are just uptight." Uptight. Uptight. Part of him wanted to laugh, part of him wanted to cry, or scream, or—anything. Red-dreaming water dripped gracelessly from her dark lips, and his ears renewed their tense acquaintance with his thick neck. Uptight. The word lay ugly in his ears, and not even her gentle acceptance of him being different could make it otherwise. Blast it all; he didn't want to be uptight. He wanted to be loose and relaxed, quick of eye and mind, not.. not.. Uptight? Irma supplied mirthlessly. In a purely physical sense, even if he counted Ophelia out of the equation, Lotus and Keahi had stolen something from him, something he hadn't regained; and through his own sheer stupidity he'd just worsened it. For a moment it had all been his again, that dark night in the Basin with Faelene, but as always.. actions had consequences. And so, he'd walked that road down into the abyss and wasn't sure he'd ever be able to turn it around.

"I just don't like that kind of attention," he responded frankly through gritted teeth, blue eyes piercing her turned-away face. Honesty, brother? The world was a strange place when you had to defend yourself against the interests of a woman-child barely grown.
Mauja
must keep those black wings folded until the time is right

baylee
Aurelia</style>

Mauja. What a strange name. What a strange horse. When answering my question, all he says is ''No''. I don't bother making him elaborate more on the topic. If he wanted to talk, he probably would've said more. All his answer does is make on ear swivel backwards. I want to know more, but I'm not going further.

"Did you never stop to reflect on the fact that 'what are you doing' usually refers to the current situation, the current action, and not the bigger picture?" With this, I roll my eyes and take a good looks at him. No, I don't say anything. You'd think he'd not lecture me right now, but you'd be wrong if you thought that. I guess this isn't a full-out lecture, rather a mini-lecture. I still don't need one. I understood what he meant perfectly, but I just wanted to interpret it more creatively.

Moments later, as I sip on the water and accuse Mauja of being uptight, he reacts.. differently than I thought he would. I thought he woulda said how I was right, but he didn't. Instead of that, he criticized me. "I just don't like that kind of attention," In an instant, I spin around to face him. My ears are flat against my neck. "That kind of attention?" I spat at him, snarling while doing so. "So you've never flirted with anyone?" My snarl fades away now. My ears still pinned, I continue. "Or you're gay, Mauja." Slowly, one of my ears swivels forward. The other ear stays relaxed backwards, not pinned anymore. Guess the hell what? I'm curious to see if he's actually gay. "Well, are you gay?" My eyebrow cocks and I step closer to him-- very close to him. Damn, what if he's gay?

How the heck can I flirt with him there? If he's gay, he'd probably just want balls to suddenly appear on me. I don't know though... I kinda like what I have.

think think think think
talk talk talk talk

ooc; no comments

image credits

Ascended Helovian

He was beginning to regret his curiosity. She was bafflingly, annoyingly, irrevocably weird, in a way that made him wonder if she was stupid. Or if she just didn't want to admit to being stupid. Or shove her stupidity over on him; she certainly did her best at that, looking at him intently and rolling her eyes as if he was the stupid one. Still unimpressed, his ears clenched tighter against his neck. Maybe it had entirely escaped her mighty notice, but if she wanted to know something in particular, the best way to get to know it was to ask for it, and not something else and then pretend he was the idiot for not understanding. And then refusing to acknowledge her own poor judgment. On the whole, it was very unimpressive, and his half-a-mind to just leave her was beginning to grow into more than just half a mind. He had nothing to gain by talking to idiot girls.

But alas, he was just about to learn that he still had somewhat a temper.

At his words she spun on the spot, face contorting into an angry, snarling mask, ears flat against her slender neck. For a moment Mauja just stared at her in bewilderment, wondering why expressing his lack of interest was such a criminal act, but her anger was contagious, and his eyes turned to blazing flint. "Or each time I have, it's just gone to hell!" he snarled at her; the hell, why did he have to be the one defending himself in this? Was it somehow his fault that he didn't want mares bothering him? Wasn't it enough that he'd barely avoided a disaster with Psyche, that his first-born daughter had run off when his son was born, and that Leyra had made him choose between a guilty conscience and promising her a child, or.. or.. damn, everything! Was it somehow his fault, so that he had to justify why he didn't want some half-grown mare running after his balls? Shouldn't she just be the one to accept that maybe every man didn't want her attention? His teeth were gritted and nostrils wide, but she went on and came up with some far-fetched tale and sort of hopped up into his face. Definitely in his personal space. Mauja pulled his head even higher and stared down at her with narrowed eyes.

"Well, are you gay?" she prompted, and even as all he did was stare he somehow spoke: "So what if I am?" The underlying currents of his temper remained around the edges of his voice, a lacing both hot and cold. And besides.. it wasn't even true, the implication of what he said, but frankly, he couldn't care less. So what if he told some random, ditzy girl that he was gay? It wasn't like he actually cared, anyway; just the idea of getting physical with anyone was enough to make his mind turn itself inside-out with terror, and if you only left emotions.. then what did it matter, as long as your hearts beat together? Love, that pesky emotion, was love, regardless. And his forays into love were few and far between, and definitely uncomfortable, and mind-wrenching, and just generally something he rather wished hadn't happened to him.

Some of his flame had burnt itself out, leaving him less volatile, but no less intent of protecting himself from this...weird, vexing mare. He pinned her with an icy stare. "But I wouldn't be interested in the attention of a half-grown stranger anyway," he added for good measure. You know, just in case she's got gender-switching magic up her sleeve.
Mauja

baylee
Aurelia</style>

Everything happens for a reason. Maybe Aurelia needed this. She needed to be squashed like the annoying fly she is. Does Mauja notice that? Of course he does, damnit. DAMN IT ALL. She would usually now leave, but she could not just leave on a sore note.

"Or each time I have, it's just gone to hell!" My ears don't pin-back in a fit of rage, but rather they stay still. "You know what, Mauja?" I pause for a moment and stare at him. Unless he moves his eyes away, he should notice my intense staring. It's the same stare I gave him when I first noticed his spotted ass. "Maybe it's really not hell. Just fucking maybe, your making it hell for yourself and horses around you." My voice is marginally stronger than it had been before, but it's no longer warm.

"So what if I am?" Maybe I'm done with throwing hail marys into the air and hoping they catch something. It seems as if he was gay, but I'm not completely sold. "Then you are. What do you expect me to do?" Pausing for a moment, I let him think about what I've said. "Your answer should be nothing, Mauja." I lower my head slightly. Not in shame or anything like that, but I'm relaxed. I, honestly, don't think Mauja will attack me now.

Only moments after saying that, Mauja shoots another line at me-- not a pick-up line, but something almost opposite of that. "But I wouldn't be interested in the attention of a half-grown stranger anyway," Almost like despair hits me, or something like that, I close my eyes for a moment and think. "Half-grown stranger? Is that all you see me as?" Opening my eyes, I look back up at the titan. My voice is cold. Each word oozing frost. "You don't see me as a girl trying to fit in?" I pause again. Will he understand me at all? I'm a dot, in a world full of stripes. "I'm sorry your life is hell, Mauja, but my life isn't a box of apples, either."

Are girls my age supposed to consider suicide as an option? Are they supposed to start groups? Are they supposed to try this hard? I turn away from Mauja, my eyes opening. My wings loosening their tight grip on my sides. Part of the scar from the man-bitch's horn can be so easily seen.

"My name is Aurelia. I'm two years old. I've dealt with more hell than some horses that are four years old. The tattoo on my cheek means kill. My dad was blown up on a beach infront of my eyes. I'm a hydrophobic." I start pacing along side the pool. "You don't know me, Mauja. So, when you're calling me a half-grown foal, you're wrong." I stare at him as my pacing glides to a stop. I face his right side.

What can he do, attack me?

think think think think
talk talk talk talk
ooc; no comments <3

image credits

Ascended Helovian

He didn't like this. He didn't like this at all. Somehow he'd been forced into a position where he had to defend himself, when all he'd asked was for her to stop trying. How was it so bad, to let her know he wasn't interested? That he didn't like the kind of attention she was trying to give him? She'd blown up in his face for no real reason, and by some divine calculation he couldn't for the life of him comprehend, he'd blown up, too. Mauja normally had little to no temper to speak of, just his own brand of arrogance and deathly-cold hunger—but not anger. When was the last time he'd raised his voice? When was the last time he'd actually felt like grinding someone's face into the dirt? Somehow, she brought out the worst in him, and it confounded him completely. Still, he felt justified that he wasn't the only bad guy, here. She was glaring at him just as much as he glared at her. "Maybe it's really not hell. Just fucking maybe, your making it hell for yourself and horses around you." So you're saying you want me to make it hell for you, too? He couldn't keep up with the twists and turns of her logic, or lack thereof. One moment she was going on like it was such a big deal, then when he responded, she went on as if he was making it into a big deal. Baffled, and thoroughly annoyed, he just stared at he quietly. Yeah, so what if he was gay? It wasn't like he had been the one who brought it up in the first place! It wasn't like he had been the one showing interest!

So when he told her that, that he didn't care to be flirted with, regardless of whoever it was, he certainly hit a sore spot. She erupted again, and Mauja's eyes took on a rather bewildered and frustrated cast, along with the anger. What the hell was wrong with this girl? "Half-grown stranger? Is that all you see me as?" What the hell else was he supposed to see her as? A donkey? She wasn't yet a mare grown. Fact. He didn't know her. Fact. In his mind, that equated to "half-grown stranger", but she kept going at him, voice going from its previous heat to cold. He knew that well. It probably meant that she was really getting upset with him. Well, damn. It's mutual. He couldn't recall anyone he'd gotten along with this badly in a long, long time.

"I'm sorry your life is hell, Mauja..." "Excuse me?" he slurred out, startled; she didn't know the first thing about his life. His life wasn't hell. His life was a fucking mess but he was okay with that—it always was a fucking mess, and he wasn't crying about it. (Just sometimes.) And the pity-party she'd kept in from before came tumbling out now, as she paced by the pool, revealing a lot more than she should've; about her past, her father, the tattoo. Mauja just stared at her. Whatever can of worms had he opened just by walking to this damn pool? What unfortunate power drew him here and then just smacked him on the nose? "You are wrong," he retorted. "I called you a half-grown stranger, because damn it Aurelia, you are. You're not even half my age and I don't know the first thing about you, so what else am I supposed to call you?" His anger had begun to recede, having run its course, but he didn't trust it to be gone yet.

"When you prompted me, I asked about your group; but instead of answering, you just brushed it off. I told-" with his body, but wasn't that what bodies were for? "-you to stop eying me that way, and you acted like I was wronging you. I'm damn well within my rights to ask someone to stop flirting with me, especially if it makes me damn uncomfortable! I just don't want you in my face that way, and you act like I'm pissing on you! I don't get it!" Damn, he was almost yelling at her again, but he was more tired and exasperated than furious. It sounded in his voice, too. "I asked about you, and your secretive little group! I was being nice! What the hell do you expect of me? Miracles? I can't read your mind, Aurelia!"
Mauja

baylee
Aurelia</style>

"Excuse me?" Halted, staring at his flank, he says this. I don't say anything back. I may have jumped to conclusions... a few times, and maybe that's why I get the feeling Mauja is frustrated. Damn him. I'M FUCKING ANNOYED. Why isn't he changing for me? There was a simple answer for this. Mauja was just not as insecure as me.

Yea, I'm insecure, but maybe that's just who I am. I did pretend to be blind. I did flirt with Mauja. I did act overly mature with Gaucho. I did, I did, I did. I'm a person that doesn't have a personality. I simply leech traits from other horses and personalities. I'm no real horse. Is it so obvious? Does Mauja realize it? Does everyone realize it?

Maybe that's why I only have one friend, Alysanne. I used to be friends with Africa, but that didn't go very well in the end. I guess I'm just not likable. Maybe it's because I'm a young mare in a forest filled with old horses (cough, Mauja.)

Speaking of Mauja, he rants at me. Well, mini-rant. It's still a fucking rant. "You are wrong. I called you a half-grown stranger, because damn it Aurelia, you are." I wanted to protest SO bad. Despite my wanting to rant back at him, I hold my tongue. "What the hell do you expect of me? Miracles? I can't read your mind, Aurelia!" I stare at him, long and hard. I like him (maybe not lovelove like, but like), and I think he is ]handsome. But if I tell him that now, he'd probably explode. Then again, Mauja chunks flying into the air wouldn't be too bad (and I'd probably be doing a favor to a lot of other horses.)

Now, I have an option. I can tell him what I really think of him, or say I'm sorry-- or... I could do both? I'll do both... Should I? WHY IS THIS SO DAMN DIFFICULT? "I... Think you're han-dsome." My gaze falls to the ground and I am avoiding the eyecontact that will probably be all blazed and angry. "But my god--" I pause for a moment. If I mess the wording of this up, it could look like I'm going crazy and insane. --I'm sorry."

DAMN IT, HE'S PROBABLY GOING TO LUNGE AT ME OR SOMETHING.

think think think think
talk talk talk talk
ooc; no comments

image credits

Ascended Helovian

In the wake of his rambled ravings there was only silence, filling the spaces between the watchful trees (and the quieted birds), and the spaces between them, between their breaths and heartbeats. His sides were heaving, anger making his breathing rugged, and in judgmental silence he waited for her to either launch her counter-attack, or break down crying and run away or something. He tried to be ready for anything, because there was no consistency to her, no predictable pattern she followed. His eyes were quick, trailing from her wings, to her cheek, eyes, back again, roving the scenery around them, unwilling to let his anger blind him to the rest of the forest. But no matter how much he prepared himself for assault, he couldn't have prepared for what actually happened.

It was as if all the fight went out of her, eyes falling to the ground and voice nothing but a stutter, spitting out an awkward piece of truth: "I... Think you're han-dsome."

Mauja's eyes widened, the harshness of his face softening into incredulous surprise. She what? She thought he was handsome, and that..? Well, of course, it seemed illogical to flirt with someone you thought were ugly, and if it wasn't just a mannerism then yes, of course she'd be disappointed her intended victim wasn't interested, but.. was this some kind of justification? Explanation? Peace offering? Veiled attempt at flirting? Or just a piece of goddamn truth? But it wasn't enough with just that. The next words she forced out, when strung together, formed: but my god, I'm sorry. Mauja just kept staring at her, even a the wind ruffled his incredibly long, silken hair about his face. Had Helovia fallen under some kind of weirdness curse? First he was all mopey and ran into questionable individuals (also known by the name of Satanic Silk), a nightingale who took him for a trip to the underworld, he rescued a mare who'd gotten stuck in a freakin' pond, grew mad and almost killed some innocent pegasus girl, then he met two complete idiots on the beach, and now this.. okay, the beach encounter topped this in weirdness factor, but this was a pretty damn close second.

He blinked. Come back to life, come back to life... Hello, the world's calling. "Err," was the first thing he said, just staring at the girl's withers. And what, what in hell, do you respond to what he'd just been put through? Another stallion probably would've taken advantage of it, but it was an established fact that Mauja's mind was far from the gutter. "I'm.. sorry?" he finally blurted, oddly honest of voice. He'd got to yell just enough to get rid of the anger, and she'd definitely given him a metaphorical smack in the face—not really a bad thing, but enough to get him off the mayhem track. "Like, I am sorry, for you." He wasn't sure if she'd apologized for being an illogical little witch, or for thinking he was handsome; if it was the latter, she shouldn't have. Not really. But he didn't want to ask. But what he'd said was also true; he was sorry for her, because there was absolutely nothing he could do about it. He'd just been frustrated, but unless she started up her crap again he should be fine.. right?

He found no more words to speak, unsure of what he could possibly say—or what he wanted to say. If he even needed to say something. Maybe she'd just take her crush and potential tears and go flee in teenage shame, to which he had no remedy, except growing up. And that'd take a couple of more years, if his own life experience was anything to go by. Hopefully, one day she'd think back on this and have enough distance to her past self to laugh (and laugh at the bewildered moron staring at her with a mixture of concern and confusion on his handsome face).
Mauja

baylee
Aurelia</style>
As my tongue stills after speaking, the quiet roared in my audits. Is he surprised, pissed, angry, happy? Did I just make everything worse? Why do the same questions keep circling through my head? Deciding to calm down slightly, I focus on Mauja's lips and hope his voice rings out (will it actually ever come?), not my insane thoughts.

The sun-dappled, ethereal beauty of God's private chapel shivered as a breeze whirled past me, the tree's branches lashed and crashed against each other like drum sticks in the hands of a beast. As quickly as the wind came, it left, leaving the trees standing utterly still, like statues in a museum. The leaves no longer trembling or daring to fall from their perches. Lifting my face, I let the light and shadow dance across my stark fur. Sadly, the light was fading, creating more shadows and dark patches around me. Eyes glimmered from hollowed trunks of decayed trees, and maybe that was why I got a bad vibe from this place. Then, the wind wailed again between thick, distorted, trunks, carrying the sickly stink of wood rot and animal flesh. I'm guessing with the good, always comes some bad.

I didn't want to leave, yet. I liked it here, I was actually enjoying myself. This conversation is going better now. Well, sort of. "Err," he says. What? He likes my compliment or? Maybe he just doesn't know how to reply. Despite being told off before for flirting, I'm pretty certain he won't get made again. If he wanted to get mad, he would've already done so.

Surprisingly, while he's thinking and I'm waiting, I'm looking him over and noting all his details a second time around. I don't stare at him so strongly, because I think it creeps him out. I notice the fact that his fur seems soft, like velvet. I also realize, his ears are rimmed black. Is that normal for appaloosas? Who the hell knows.

"I'm.. sorry?" I know that 'Sorry?' can mean 'what?' in some places. Did I successfully confuse him? "Like, I am sorry, for you." I try to find his gaze. "Don't be." There's no need to be sorry for me, ever. All the choices I've made are my fault, and I know that. I wanted to add, but I think Mauja likes the quiet.

The darkness is usually cold though... Is Mauja cold?

think think think think
talk talk talk talk
ooc; i got some muse, and i decided to be more descriptive with it, rather than making a longer post <33

image credits

Ascended Helovian

This is a dark place.

The voice, the thought, was Irma's, oddly clear in the rising and falling tide of their bond. They seldom spoke in literal words, shared more of a feeling, a concept, images and scents and ideas—but whenever she spoke in his mind, in his heart, it was like a draft of cold air, a faraway whisper gently stirring the dust. It sent a slight shiver down his spine. She smelled what he did as the wind blew through the darkening forest, its keening through hollow trees accompanied by a rotten, dark tang. Indeed, he replied, watching the distracting play of Aurelia's silver hair. The bark etched with symbols, the blood-red pool.. the smell of something dead and forgotten, a dark mystery. There were, certainly, better places to be, but strangely enough, he still wasn't afraid. Wary? Alert? Yes. But Mauja had long since learned to fear mortals, for they were the illogical, irrational beings who waged the most wars, and if the beasts of darkness waged wars, they seldom did it upon the mortals.

She was watching him, though less intensely, at the time of his blurted, odd apology. Everything about her seemed so at odds with itself; one moment she was begging for pity, for recognition, some kind of justification, and in the next, trying to shove it all back down the dark hole it came from. Don't be she said and Mauja tilted his head gently to one side, white forelock sliding off the broad bridge of his nose to hand down by his eye, a white veil between him and the world. He couldn't quite understand it. Did she want his pity, his attention, but knew it to be.. wrong? Childish, perhaps? And so fought against herself? "But I am," he said, gently, trying to find the words to match what he felt within. "Because right now, part of it is my fault, but nothing I can do anything about. And for that, I am sorry." Because it's all I can be.

[ this post wanted to be short. so it is. :3 ]
Mauja

baylee
Aurelia</style>

I dream of a day where I know what my personality actually is. Well, I guess I do know a word to describe myself... Fake. How could anyone love me? Africa did somehow, until I fucked it all up. I think Aly likes me, but with time I'll learn how to mess that relationship up too. I'm prone to always failing somehow. Who knows, maybe I'm cursed.

Despite that, I'm a pretty happy horse most of the time.
I also know that someone wants me. Why else would the vicious mare of the Asylum attempt to steal me? (And fail?) It was probably because she wanted me to be her dinner... Along with the Temporary Leader's balls. I successfully saved myself, but now I jump whenever I hear about stealing. It's fun to steal though.

"But I am," Immediately, my gaze drops to the ground. Is this an I'm sorry that's sweet and loving, or one that's like 'I'm sorry that I have to kill you, but I still am going to kill you.' I'm going to go with the nicer one, because the mean version scares me a little. "Because right now, part of it is my fault, but nothing I can do anything about. And for that, I am sorry." Is he really talking about us? Is he apologizing for something else he's done? I'm i supposed to be the middle-man between Mauja and all his hurt friends? Does he want me to be that?

I don't say anything, because somehow I'll fuck everything up. Instead, I look at Mauja with warm eyes. I wanted the chance to get to know this spotted stallion more. He is interesting and I'm weird. Maybe we could get along, maybe we can't, but I still want to see. Could we perhaps get together more? I'm an outcast and if he's in the wilds a lot, we're bound to run into each other again.

Right?

think think think think
talk talk talk talk
ooc; no comments <3

image credits

[/quote]

Ascended Helovian

He wasn't sure what he'd landed himself in. At first it had just been another odd encounter (and those, you had plenty of in Helovia), which had quickly turned into somewhat of a mouth-fight, and just as quickly it had turned into.. this. Whatever "this" was. He'd never known himself to be quite so kind—if he tried to look back on himself.. if he truly dredged up the memories of his past self leading up to Mirage invading... He'd almost been deranged. Feral. Every action had been lined with that cold darkness, his face the stage for many expression yet few of them honest, or deep; he'd locked away his secrets but smiled, smiled at the world even as he stood poised to strike just behind it. Oh, when he'd been with his herd, or those he otherwise deemed companionable, he'd not been quite so cold, quite so cruel at heart.. but whenever the opportunity had presented itself, he'd taken it. He'd taken it and his charming little smile had simply intensified, eyes going wicked as all the warmth of sun-lit snow froze into midwinter's ice.

Coming back from the time rift, he'd sought the stability of glaciers, that icy mask once more, but somewhere along the line he'd forgotten just how wild he had been: how untamed, how heedless of rules. In the light he'd been nothing but a charming gentleman, if somewhat of a recluse, and in the veil of such they had never heard the snaps of rules breaking behind his back. Stress had worn him out, weighed him down, to the point where the only thing he remembered, and sought, was the frigidity, impenetrable walls to hide behind. And what am I now? Aurelia's eyes had fallen, only to rise again. Her tongue had been defeated into silence, but her gaze was warm. It unnerved him. It unnerved him, but he didn't show it, because wasn't that what Mauja did? Hid himself behind his wall and always did what he thought was best—for others? He didn't know whether it was noble or pathetic.

He waited for her to say something, and he waited in vain. Silence held between them, his reverie and revelations locked away behind blue irises. Here in their glade the air was both warm and light, yet the woods around him seemed to darken, mocking his eventual journey to leave them again. And still she said nothing, and he said nothing, and the seconds trickled by like curious, meaningless things. His head remained tilted, the edge of curiosity coming out again, nosy as ever about the secrets of others. Somehow he felt like the burden of saying something lay on him, an invisible weight against his shoulders trying to prompt his mind into finding something, anything, to say. Slowly, he tilted his head the other way instead, peering at her with his usual open expression, feigning a kind of honesty he knew wasn't there. "So.. if I ask about your group again.. will I get more of an answer this time?" he finally said, voice light, as if half-joking and expecting another rebuttal.
Mauja