the Rift

[OPEN] Even Rabbits Make History [Nasreen, Open]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Kahlua wasn't surprised that the mare had decided to come with her, even after just meeting her moments before. She thought everyone loved her- couldn't see why they wouldn't. Of course, an outside observer wouldn't be surprised either. Kahlua had an energy that drew others to her, had a brightness in her voice and step that made her seem both harmless and helpful at the same time. She was the popular girl at the party, the one who made friends without trying, the one who said something stupid and then laughed it off a few moments later, the one who broke down into tears when her best friend wanted to fight. But if there was one thing she wasn't, it was modest.

As she wandered with her new found friend, Nasreen as she had called herself, Kahlua babbled on endlessly. She had taken the path from Threshold to Edge so many times now that she knew it like she knew the back of her hoof. Of course nothing that she had to say was especially important- a rock there that had scared her once, a bush there where a butterfly had landed, an open area where rain had poured down upon her. She kept the conversation light, trying her best to keep the mare that had seem so frighted in the Threshold in good spirits. Besides, Kahlua didn't mind talking.

It was therefore soon enough that the pair came upon the glass wall, Kahlua looking upon the thing with pride like she always did. Her baby, her work. Dragomir had called her the finest craftswoman in the Edge. She believed it. After all, who else had made the wall? Only her, and Lady Moon's magic that flowed through her. And it was so with this smile that she turned then to Nasreen, blue eyes alight and bright with promises of the future. “Welcome to the World's Edge!” Nodding her head over to the left, she meandered to the entrace and walked through eagerly. “My friend Resplendence lives here, she's ones of the healers. Did you say you needed medicines, or are you healthy?” Of course, she had forgotten already. Silly mare. “Anyways, you must be tired, come with me.” She continued walking through the forest, headed towards her own little area of the Edge.

@[Nasreen]- So sorry for the wait. My internet went down last night!!
.KAHLUA

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable
When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand,
And nothing, nothing's going right
Close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights

A cool breeze played with Nasreen’s mane as she hurried after her new protector. She did not know exactly where the mare was leading her, but Kahlua’s gentle and friendly demeanor had won her over almost instantly, and Nasreen trusted her. Comforted by a presence that was already beginning to feel familiar, she found herself opening up to the stranger as they moved along. Kahlua kept her well entertained with her delightful chatter, silly stories pouring from her lips as they passed into quite a different part of the wood. And Nasreen laughed right along with her, her unapologetically girlish giggle ringing through the forest now that she was no longer the lost little thing she had been this morning. Well, she mused, perhaps still a bit lost, but soon enough I’ll be un-lost, and that’s all that matters. Kahlua would help her; she’d promised.

So, the pair hastened along together, Kahlua’s voice rising and falling with her current tale, and Nasreen’s interrupting occasionally with a question or a chortle. The stories were simple anecdotes, common experiences, and on several occasions she almost interjected with her own, similar, tales. The memories would be on the tip of her tongue, however, when they would recall the memory of Amaya—the one who had shared many of these moments with her—and with that, the stories would die in her throat, untold, pushed aside by laughter at Kahlua’s next remark.

This continued until they reached a break in the trees. Up ahead, Nasreen could see something large, sparkling in the faded light and stretching along the ground as far as her eye could see. As they drew closer, Nasreen discovered that it was a wall. Was this Kahlua’s kingdom? She hadn’t seen anything this magnificent since…

“Welcome to the World’s Edge,” Kahlua told her, stepping through the narrow break in the wall. Nasreen put a careful nose to the structure, expecting it to be cold like ice or sharp like crystal…but it was neither. “I haven’t seen something this beautiful since leaving Th’orqui,” she breathed, gazing up at the wall. “What is it made of?” she asked curiously, reaching out to touch its smooth sides again. “Why is it here?”

Remembering that Kahlua stood on the other side, Nasreen too stepped through the opening, holding her wings close to her body. Still, the tips of her longest feathers trailed along the sides of the wall, kissing their reflections. Kahlua had asked her if she needed medicines earlier, and with a suddenly heavy heart, she shook her head. “Not unless you’ve got anything to cure sadness,” she replied. The mere confession brought the tears back into her eyes, and this time, she couldn’t stop them. Childishly, she sought comfort in this new stranger-turned-friend, and the whole story came tumbling out: her fuzzy memories of a home far away, the confusion of her escape, and most of all Amaya—Amaya the maidservant turned mother, sister, friend, and her only remaining connection to Th’orqui, who was now gone.

“I don’t know what I would have done if you hadn’t found me,” she finished, most of her sobs quieter now. Nasreen had buried her face in the mare’s mane, and she blinked up at Kahlua now through clear grey eyes, sadness and gratitude shining in her face.

OOC: she’s a little…forward, sorry Cx
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Kahlua could not have picked better company for such a walk from Threshold to home and by the time they made it to the borders of the Edge, Kahlua had found herself liking Nasreen just as much. Even without the stranger speaking much, Kahlua took comfort in her easy demeanor and likeable laugh. If Kahlua was a philosopher, she would have lived the mantra “you can tell a lot about a person by their laugh.” Alas, the girl was anything but a scholar, giving her trust easily enough to any who would take it. Still, she managed. And besides, she liked what she liked. What else was there to know? In any event, the two made quite a pair, Kahlua's dancing soprano mingling with Nasreen's voice to form a girlish duet that rang through the trees.

I haven't seen something this beautiful since leaving Th'orqui,” the girl offered and Kahlua smiled approvingly. Some day she might grow tired of hearing about how fantastic the wall was, how glorious a creation, how remarkable that she should have made it. But that day was not today and that time was not now. She nickered approvingly, bobbing her head to respond to the first question easily enough. “It's made of glass, I am Glazier of this herd, meaning the Moon Goddess grants me magic to make the mists turn solid.” Her blues eyes danced. Less than a year ago she had not even heard of magic, nor unicorns nor pegasi, and here she was creating something out of nothing, accepting that horses could have wings and fly or horns that glint in the sunlight. So much had changed in such a short time, but the girl regretted none of it.

As for the second question, Kahlua was no secret keeper. Her face fell, lips twisting into some sort of disapproving look not meant for Nasreen. “There are racist unicorns in the north that tried to attack us. It is a defense, to keep them out.” The scar she had shown Nasreen in the Threshold was actually a product of the attack, a horn dug well into her flesh, meant to kill if it had been able. She sighed softly and then shook her head, trying to let the memories go. She didn't want to think about the unicorns. Not when she had been having so much fun.

And then the girl was crying, history pouring forth from her mouth, tales of an attack of her own, escape, a friend and caretaker. All at once, Kahlua's heart broke for the girl and even her eyes misted up a little. It was a story that was all too familiar to the overo- family spread across the far reaches of a world never to be seen again. She let Nasreen's face fall into her mane, turning her head to nuzzle the girl in support. Honestly, though, she didn't know what to say. What could she say? Nothing made pasts like that go away, except for time (or in Kahlua's case, an addled brain that quickly buried such tragedies).

For a moment longer, the black overo let the silence settle between them, blue eyes finally finding the gray ones of her partner and Kahlua's smile returning in an effort to bring a similar look back to her friend. She wished she knew where Resplendence was, or Brisa or Alysanne. They always knew how to make a broken heart better in a way Kahlua could not manage. Hadn't they fixed Kahlua after her friend Antheia had jumped from the ledge? “I'm so sorry,” she offered finally, once again reaching out to nuzzle the girl. “You're brave to have made it so far.” And so, at loss for what to say, Kahlua motioned the pegasus to one of the fires that burned around the Edge to offer her a warm place to rest. “Would talking more about it help?” Since she didn't know what to do, she decided to let the pegasus take control. This was her adventure, after all.
.KAHLUA

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
If the sky above you grows dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind begins to blow
Keep your head together
And call my name out loud

Brave? Nasreen smiled through her tears. She certainly hadn’t felt very brave, but now that Kahlua put it that way…

“Would talking more about it help?” her companion asked, an expression of gentle concern etched across her features. Nasreen paused for a moment to consider it. Slowly, she shook her head. “I’m kind of all cried-out for now,” she admitted. She had told her story, and having it out felt as if a great load had been lifted off of her heart. Besides, if Kahlua thought that she was brave, she could be brave. She was brave.

“Thank you,” Nasreen said softly. She couldn’t express just how grateful she was that Kahlua had found her, had taken her in, had shown her such kindness…Nasreen simply didn’t have the means to articulate what she was feeling. So, in typical Nasreen fashion, she did the best she could, offering a heart-melting smile to her new friend.

The sun was quickly setting, and Kahlua led her a little ways down the wall to where a small fire burned. A memory stirred: she hadn’t seen a fire like this—a fire for the purpose for comfort and warmth—since leaving the palace. Being in a proper civilization again lifted her spirits; she felt a little closer to home already. With a contented sigh, she flopped down, rustling feathers as she gathered her wings about her. Curiously, she looked around. The wall though, still caught her eye. The way the flames reflected on its surface…how had Kahlua made this again? “Kahlua…tell me about this Moon Goddess?”

I'm kind of all cried-out for now, Nasreen finally decided upon and Kahlua bobbed her head, understanding the feeling. Sometimes even crying doesn't fix everything, though the simple-minded girl sometimes wished it was so. At least Nasreen found a smile. Kahlua reciprocated it with one of her own, her mind drifting for a moment as she wondered what it would have been like to have had a friend with her when she had escaped the land she had been born in, so many years ago.

Her story was rather similar to Nasreen's, a princess too far down the line of inheritance to have any chance of claiming the throne. It was probably for the best. Even as a child the overo was simple, her twin brother having gotten all the brains. But what she lacked in intelligence she made up for in cheery attitude and an unending desire to please (if only to help her reach her own goals). Still, it was never enough, and when the fires finally burned her home she fled from the land without her family, having lost them in the confusion. If they were dead or alive was unknown to the girl, though she was finding more and more that she did not care to find out either.

As Nasreen settled in by the fire, Kahlua grabbed one of the many branches left laying around to feed the flames. She was not so practiced as Smoke was at adding kindling to the fire, but she managed awkwardly enough, giving them plenty of fuel by which to warm themselves. And as her companion finally settled down to the ground, Kahlua did the same, lying near her in a show of friendship. “Oh, she's fantastic!” the girl began eagerly, though she had never really met Lady Moon. “She watches over this land, giving the Aaron and me the ability to craft, giving the WingLeaders their warrior magic, and the other ranks as well.” She paused, nose lowering to touch at the plum colored stone she wore around her neck. “I found this laying around... I'm certain it was a gift from the Goddess.”

Her eyes searched the ground for a moment, wondering what else to say about the patron saint of the land. “I've never seen her, but I know she must be fantastic to love us how she does,” she finished finally, her mind wandering to the one god she had seen. “I did see the Earth God once, though. It was amazing!” She shook her head at the memory, the song that had been dancing over the earth at the time still ringing in her ears on occasion. “Were there gods in Th'orqui? There were none in my homeland that I know of.” The dancing flames caught her attention for a moment, gaze shifting from Nasreen to the fire as she awaited an answer.
.KAHLUA

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again

Enraptured, Nasreen listened to Kahlua’s description of the gods of this land, gazing reverently at the talisman around her friend’s neck. A gift from the goddess? She thought back to the delicate circlet her mother had sometimes worn. It had been passed down from queen to queen, her nursemaid had told her once, a gift long ago from one of the goddesses herself. Nasreen remembered throwing a fit when she had expressed a desire for the pretty thing and had been told that it would belong to her oldest brother’s future mate. For Kahlua, then, to have such a splendid thing, and to have the power to create this wall, she must be someone special. Nasreen wondered if she was some sort of queen here. She was about to ask, when Kahlua asked her if there had been gods in Th’orqui.

“Oh, yes!” she replied eagerly. “I never met any of them—they only revealed themselves to a few—but they used to tell us stories about them all the time. And we had the godswoods, the most beautiful forests anyone has ever seen…” Nasreen proceeded to explain, as best she could, about the trees in the godswoods: how each one represented a different god or goddess, how each one bloomed with unique and colorful leaves depending on the deity it represented, and how the godswood near the palace had stretched for miles on end. “I wonder if the moon goddess was in our godswood,” she paused to wonder out loud. It certainly was a possibility; there had been so many trees that in her young life, she couldn’t have possibly learned the names of every god. “She sounds absolutely lovely.” For her to give such gifts to mere mortals, she had to be. Maybe if Kahlua could tell her how to find one of the gods, they would help her find her way home?

“How did you meet the earth god?” she asked in awe. “You must be very special, that the gods have looked on you with such favor. Kahlua, are you some sort of queen here?”

OOC: I know Kahlua is qualified to let her join the herd, and I'd love Nasreen to do so--is there a formal process for this?

To Kahlua, the godswoods sounded like pure heaven. To have a full forest of trees, an endless lay of flower-laden oaks and elms, birches and pines, made of beauty, to play in... The girl's mind drifted, conjuring images of such a forest in her head, trying to imagine herself romping about, enjoying the scenery, finding peace among the boughs of what she could only imagine was an ancient part of the earth. If she and Nasreen every found information on Th'orqui, and the girl ever found out how to go back there, Kahlua thought she might like to come too, if only for a short visit, to see the trees- provided, of course, that the place had not been destroyed in the same chaos that had forced Nasreen to flee.

“I'm sure she was there,” the girl offered finally, her lips turned upwards as the multi-colored trees still danced in her head. As for the Earth God, Kahlua shared her story willingly. She spoke of how she had been out for a run, for no reason other than to enjoy life. She had made it to the beach, fallen into the salty waves to cool herself, when she heard the most beautiful symphony of sounds. The waves and wind, the bushes and crickets all singing in harmony, accented by the bright sound of a magical harp, plucking out a melody. She mentioned how the god had praised her for her work and directed her to teach to a member of a different herd the art of making. And she smiled the entire time, while the memory and song danced in her thoughts.

As for the mention of Kahlua being a queen, she couldn't help but laugh, a bright sound, a joyous noise that sent nested birds flying from their perches, chirping at the noise the girl had created. In another land, in another time, Kahlua might have been queen once, had her two brothers fallen and nobody from the mainland tried to wrest control from the simple girl's hooves. But that was far in the past. She was nothing so glamorous now. “I am simply the Glazier, the heads craftswoman. Mirage is our queen, the DragonHeart.” There was some amount of awe in her voice as she spoke of the woman who could turn herself to a dragon at will. “She leads our herd, the Qian, and we aim for peace throughout the land.” She paused for a moment, glancing to the flames and then back to Nasreen, whom she had fallen so easily into friendship with. “You could stay with us, you know... Until we can find out about Th'orqui.” After all, the girl had to stay somewhere. Why not here?

OOC| Nope, nothing special to do, just be invited, which she has been :P Once she says yes, you can just request to have your rank changed to World's Edge Mare
.KAHLUA

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
come and watch over me like the pale moonlight

Resplendence had heard voices as she had started to move back around the Edge. She had been meaning to look for more herbs in order to get seeds and such. Perhaps, if she had more seeds, then she would be able to grow more herbs to place in that box. They needed a good supply in case they needed to heal mass amounts of ails.

But, now was not the time. Or, it wasn't right this moment. She had thought she had heard her name as she headed closer to the fires, but she could have been wrong. Of course, instead of continuing on she chose to move in closer and closer to the fire that was burning in order to keep them warm as the weather began to drop.

The voices were louder now, as she came around the back of the fires, one of which she recognized as Kahlua and one she did not recognize. Kahlua seemed to be explaining the Edge to the other voice, Mirage, the Qian, and then offering her a place to stay. One word stuck out to Res, though. Th'orqui. It was familiar, and she was certain she had heard Quil say it at some point in time, when she asked him about his past - to try and get to know him better.

Quietly, she pulled around to the other side of the fire and saw the winged pegasus that looked so similar to Quil."Kahlua," she called, her voice flitting in the wind as she came up beside the Glazier. "Long time no see. You are doing well, I hope?" She murmured, reaching out to brush her muzzle against the painted's shoulder before looking toward the winged creature. "Hello dear, my name is Resplendence. I don't believe we have met before. Might I be of assistance?" She asked, bowing her head gently before lifting it back up and situating herself back up closer to the fire to keep herself warm.

When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
Nasreen had to fight to keep her jaw from dropping as she listened to Kahlua’s account of her encounter with the earth god. She became even more curious when she learned of his instructions. “You mean you can teach magic?” she interrupted, wondering aloud.

Would the wonders of this land never cease? Gods and goddesses that deigned to pay visits, be they ever so rare, blessings and gifts heaped upon its inhabitants. Magic, even. “Mirage is our queen, the DragonHeart,” Kahlua continued. “She leads our herd, the Qian, and we aim for peace throughout the land.” Nasreen nodded, taking it all in. So there was one even greater than her companion, it seemed. Her young head spun. To keep the peace, there must be strong warriors, or strong magic—or both. This was no Th’orqui, and in her mind, no place could ever be greater, but the World’s Edge came terribly close.

“You could stay with us, you know…until we can find out about Th’orqui,” Kahlua offered. Nasreen raised her head, eyes shining with gratitude. The flamed crackled between the pair, but the warmth she was suddenly feeling had nothing to do with the fire. “Could I really? You—Mirage—would let me…? I mean,” she stammered, “I…I would love that.”

The offer of a home, so easily given, had come as a surprise to her. Nasreen was one to believe in the kindness of strangers, but Kahlua had surpassed kindness. “Thank you.” she said again. It felt like it was the only thing she’d been saying all afternoon, but she didn’t know how else to put it. Mere hours ago, she had been lost and lonely in a strange land. Now, she was lying by a merry fire in good company, and temporary as it might be, Nasreen was home.

The snapping of twigs in the wood caught her attention. Nasreen peered past her companion’s shoulder, apprehensive. Kahlua didn’t seem to be worried though, and Nasreen realized that the security of the wall really did cast a sense of peace over the surroundings. No outsider, save one of her own kind, could enter without drawing the attention of the two by the fire. Before she had time to worry about another pegasus though, a small mare emerged from the trees, greeting Kahlua and introducing herself as Resplendence. “Hello,” Nasreen replied, scrambling to her feet in order to properly address the newcomer. The princess may have been polite, but she was not quite so graceful—she nearly lost her balance on the way up. “I’m Nasreen, pleased to meet you. I’m new here--Kahlua was kind enough to show me the way,” she added, bobbing her head in return.

For an instant the girl's smile faded as her new friend interrupted. Perhaps she had explained wrong. “Well, not exactly, just the idea of using it,” she said in response to her new friend's interjection. Kahlua didn't meant to get the poor girl's hopes up. She couldn't exactly teach magic. The gods had to grant the gift first. Her smile returned soon enough though, as the girl agreed to stay, at least for as long as it took to find out about Th'orqui. “Welcome home then!” Her blue eyes danced. One more to call family. Kahlua's heart danced with delight.

Kahlua! Another voice broke the air and if Kahlua's features could grow any brighter, they did. In an instant, the girl was wiggling, trying to make herself stand, and by the time she managed, Resplendence was there, brushing her muzzle against her shoulder, and Kahlua leaned to the side, trying to rub her head into her friend's neck. “I'm good, of course. And you, my friend?” It was always a good day when Res showed up, the fallen angel that Kahlua had grown to call best friend. Res had saved her life, after all.

“This is the healer I was talking about earlier,” Kahlua offered to Nasreen, humming softly to herself for a moment. And then, because she assumed Res knew everything there was to know about anything, Kahlua turned to her with hopeful eyes and asked about Th'orqui. Did Resplendence know it? Had she heard of it? Did she know of anyone that did? Kahlua's words rushed from her mouth quickly, little space left between questions. It was not until she was done that Res would have room to answer without interrupting. But Kahlua was just too excited to help. The poor dear.
.KAHLUA

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
come and watch over me like the pale moonlight

The mares seemed to scramble to get to their feet, and the simple action was enough cause to make claybank laugh a little. The mare's name hit her ear before she registered the wings that were attached to the painted chestnut's body. Resplendence backed up a few steps, instinctively trying to avoid the one thing she considered a weapon. Her legs were trembling a little bit but her voice managed to not waver. "Pleased to meet you as well. Kahlua is wonderful like that," she said, nodding her head before she looked back at Kahlua. "I've been better, but it is a new day..." she responded to the question about how she was, before she told Nasreen that Res was the healer she had been talking about.

And it seemed the Kahlua had a lot on her mind, for she is now rambling at a million miles an hour. But, Res had to admit that the speed of her speech is definitely keeping her mind from the fear of those wings that were only a few feet away from her. Th'orqui. Res nodded her head, but waited for the mare to finish her waterfall of words. For, it seemed that this was common with Kahlua, and all of their conversations were like that. "Th'orqui. It's left Quilyan's mouth before. Though I cannot say I know much more about it then stories of it falling..." she murmured, tilting her cranium to the side. "Why do you ask?"

When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love