the Rift

Company [Andash/Open]

Aure Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

</style>

I walked solemnly along the ground in the burning Tallsun, my ears flicked back and tail twitching in discomfort. I was not one for the heat, though there was some sort of heat I liked. I sighed, remembering the fire of my mate’s wings and her little companion, the sweet little phoenix Arbutus. I looked for him now, flitting about the skies, coming to bring me a message from my Tares. I shook my flaxen mane and tried to clear my head—rather unsuccessfully. The only things I could think of were my mate and our unborn son, all the way in the Foothills. I stopped to lean under the shade of a nearby tree, grateful for the relief. I stretched my wings, feeling them relax as they unfurled, suddenly noticing the fatigue in my body. I had been wandering along in the Throat since the departure of Tares, and I figured I had not stopped since. I was weary and sad, ready for a nap. And yet I knew I could not sleep without her wing on my withers.

I trotted around the tree, leaves falling in my mane that was flying out behind me, and unconsciously kept going round in circles. Suddenly, I tripped, falling slightly and catching myself quite painfully on both knees. In my mind, I saw myself in this position, a past version of myself, sans vine-marking. But that did not mean my nose was empty. Though in a way, it was—empty of skin and coat. My nose was zombie-like, with the muscles showing through, as well as some of the bone. Hoof marks were beat into my sides and my flanks heaved with pain. I could see that each breath was a struggle, and blood pooled underneath me, dripping from my nose as well as various other places. My green eyes were wild with fury, shame, sadness, and pain.

I saw my mouth open and when I spoke my voice was cracked with the pain that racked my body. “Gods. I . . . I plead with you. Tell me how to get away from Beauregard. I need to leave before he does this again to me. I cannot endure this pain. I wish to forget him, and all he has done. Please.” Bright light flashed all around my form and I hear a soft thud as I fell to my side. I crept closer to myself and watched as green shimmering light covered my nose, reconstructing the lost muscle and tissue, and as the light faded, my nose was fully intact and with a new addition. A white vine marking winded around my nose, still glittering in the aftermath of the magic. Familiar green eyes fluttered open and I watched myself stand, disoriented from the magic. Brow furrowed, eyes blank, I sadly watched as I understood. My wish had been taken quite literally, to forget. I watched myself experience the first time I had no memories with sadness in my current green eyes.

I wondered which god had granted this wish. I judged from the vine marking he had left on his handiwork of my nose that it was the God of the Earth. His magic worked quite well to revoke my memory. I wondered if each time I remembered too much, it would trigger the magic to wipe everything out when I fell asleep. I sighed. I wondered if it was his intention to wipe out everything. Yet, I knew I could not question such a gift. I pawed at the ground, desperately needing a distraction.

Andash Posts: N/A
Unregistered

andash</style>
the beautiful is always strange.</style>

Andash wandered aimlessly around the oasis, kicking up the hot sand that dried his daggers and splattered his bleached pelt. It was times like this when he desired to have wings to be able to soar into the sky, escape from the humidity on the ground and feel the breeze beneath his feathers as it cooled him. No such grace was given, however. As much as he wished, he was landlocked and forever would be. He thought about pathetic he may seem to the others, who would simply tell him to face it. They were most likely correct - he did need to. He should think about all the things that he had been blessed with: strength; good health and sharp eyesight.

His orbs flickered around the scenery, scanning the surroundings for sign of company. He struck gold. In the distance stood a charcoal creature, complete with wings. He decided to go for it and began to pace himself quickly across the vast expanse of the Throat, carefully missing the tan rocks that were well camouflaged by the sand of the desert. The heat was becoming a nightmare, but his determination to find some company outweighed the hot, sticky feeling that was trying to press down hard on the ashen brute. As he came closer, he noticed that it was a cloudy charcoal dame with charcoal wings, and flaxen silks. A pale, bleached marking in the shape of a vine was embedded in her velveteen.
It was odd, the dame was not standing upright. Her knees were close against the sand, her orbs closed tight shut.

He cleared his throat, before bucking up the courage to ask her if she was okayy. "Hello? Are you alright there?" He was careful not to sound intimidating, he simply let his friendly manner ring through his smooth, deep voice tones. It did not look like the duchess was okayy, distress scent was rising from her like steam off boiling water. Whatever it was, she was obviously experiencing it from within. Magic? he thought to himself.

He calmly moved closer towards the charcoal vixen, leaning his handsome bleached crown down to nudge her, wondering if she would respond.

"To be second is to be the first of the ones that lose."

image by seyed mostafa zamani @ flickr.com</style>

Unregistered

</style>

I rose up off of my knees, eager to meet this newcomer, a blessed distraction from my whirling mind. He asked if I was alright, and I hesitated to answer. I shyly let my mane fall in front of my face, the way I did when I had no idea what to say. I looked up at the ghostly pale stallion before me, and my green eyes met his ice blue. They were comforting, and I was glad they were not yellow. For if they were, I may have told him everything about me in one fell swoop, and scared him away with the pressures that were my life. My heart ached for Tares to return. But I needed to stop thinking about her. I needed to feel happy again, instead of lying in wait while my lover carried my child. “Hello. I’m alright, thank you, just a dizzy spell. I am Aure, new to Dragon’s Throat. Also, newly appointed soldier. Who is my acquaintance today?”

I dipped my head respectfully to the stallion, my eyes taking in his odd appearance. A bloodmark stained his chest, and I saw that his left wing was deformed. I tried not to let pity pass my face, as I gathered this stallion was sensitive about his condition, as I was about my memory. I felt sorry he could not fly, feel the wind rushing under his feathers as I could; flying was a wonderful apparatus that helped clear my head. Not able to help myself, I glanced towards the skies; selfishly waiting for Arbutus to glide down and tell me Tares is alright. I looked back at the stallion with his grey mane, that I think was slightly tinged with blue. Only light would be able to tell me and the shade hid the color. I smiled shyly at the stallion, glad that the miraculously he had come along to keep me out of my head. The distraction was very welcome.

Unregistered

andash</style>

The vixen seemed to notice that he was there, and she began to spread out of her almost cuccooned poise as she was there on the ground. She began to stand up on all four pillars, and he saw a bleached dagger that contrasted alarmingly well with the dark nature of the other three. Her wings were well shaped, large magnificent charcoal feathers with droplets of alabaster. The light of the sun in the high heavens caused her silks to glow, really emphasising the flaxen colour against the charcoal of her pelt. As she spoke, her voice seemed to still be heavy with worry, whilst he could tell that she wasn't fully there. He thought that she must have been waiting for something or someone.

"As long as you are not in distress, Aure. You are new also? I am new, too. I joined Throat but a few days ago," his gaze was friendly and he dipped his handsome crown upon meeting a new face, "I am Andash. I hope to become a soldier too." It was probably pointless information but he guessed to keep the dame's mind wandering away from what seemed to be giving her issues gave him reason enough.

He saw her gaze flicker to his deformed wing, and an ever so slight breeze ruffled the bleached feathers. He forgot what seemed like pity in her orbs, it was the same reaction he got far too many times, and it was just natural. It didn't bother him, because he knew that she was feeling for him. He simply pushed the thoughts back into his mind, like he did with many emotions and thoughts, and concentrated on keeping the dame company. Her crown looked up to the heavens every now and again, she was definitely waiting for something.

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

ARBUTUS
</style>
When Tares sends   
her charge away
</style>

Several miles off in the foothills, Tares rested, feeling the weight of her child pulling against her as she stood pressed against a tree. Her charge flitted nervously about her, not knowing what was happening, simply fearful for the look of discomfort his mare held. But his nervousness did nothing for the dame, and with a nod of her head and a look of begging, she sent him away.
"Find Aure," came the command. "Surely my love needs you now more than I," she added with a look of sadness as she recalled Aure, so far from her. But Arbutus fought past the pity and set himself aflame as he tore up into the skies and made his way to the Dragon's Throat he loved so much.

He nears the two now, whistling his call of a thousand different birds as his flames extinguish and he returns to his ruddy orange color. Arbutus does not hesitate as he dashes through the canopy, and lands peacefully upon a low hanging branch to observe. Aure seems distressed- as much as she can deny it to this unfamiliar ghostly stallion, he's picke dup a few of her tricks along the way. He is often childish, but has and always will have a keen eye for observation; emotions are not hid well from the phoenix. With a brief chirp, he swoops down to rest on an outcropping of the tree where Aure has been pacing, and he bends a careful head down to tug playfully and with concern at the mare's mane.

Feathers flutter and his wings fold neatly at his sides as he watches the pair's interactions. The stallion... he has never seen him before. Tares does not know him, how could he? He cocks his head to the side and stares curiously at the stallion, his black eyes reflecting his emotion. He seems nice enough; he's done nothing to hurt his companion's mate, and this he will leave the stranger alone. Still, his talons curl into the wood protectively as he stands close to Aure- he is at the ready should the stranger change his tune.

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com</style>

Unregistered

</style>

I gasped as Arbutus lands in the tree, just the little phoenix I was looking for. I reached my wing up to him, to sweetly envelope his frame for a few seconds, and then retract it. I look again to Andash, the light in my green eyes returning, knowing that Tares was alright, and loving the company of Arbutus. My ears flicked up at the mention of him wanting to be a soldier. “Oh, I apologize for my rudeness. I was simply waiting for Arbutus here. My mate, Tares is in the Foothills, and she is bearing my child. We could not have children, as anatomy limits us, and we asked the gods to gift us. She is fulfilling the requirements, and I miss her terribly. I thank you for your company, I was in great need of it.”

I flipped my mane nervously, hopefully not having got an uneasy start with Andash, when we seemed to have so much in common. He desired to be a soldier, an honorable role and also was a pegasus…I looked to the ground, clamping my mouth shut. I nearly asked him to fly with me when I realized he was not capable. Unwanted pity washed over me as I itched for long awaited flight, kept grounded by this stallion. The hot sun beat down on my black coat, feeling like fire on my back. I stepped closer to the tree, inching away from the light, into the cooler shade. “I am delighted to meet a prospective soldier. Have you talked to Azzuen? He is sure to appoint you one, if you so desire. We are always looking for more help with patrols and all. I am fairly new to the position, but I believe in protection of others and defense of yourself. Experience first-hand can do that to you.” My broken, bloody nose swam in front of my eyes and I blinked rapidly to clear the horrid image of Beauregard’s handiwork.

Unregistered

andash</style>

In the short respite of the conversation with the charcoal dame, a small flame-kissed bird flew into eyesight, before setting down on a tree close to Aure. Andash noticed how the dame greeted the bird like a friend, he gathered it must have been one of the companions that minority of the horned, winged and equines had. Her attention then turned back to him, brimming with apology for her rudeness. The ashen brute thought nothing of it, it was not rude to him to greet a friend, it would be rude to have not.

The brawny bleached sir listened with ears like a fox, his gaze fixed intently on the silver dame as she explained. It was unheard of to Andash, two mares bearing a child together. But the love that Aure seemed to have for this stranger, Tares, was not just a phase. He could see from her orbs that it was true. He was not one to judge, he was not in a position to judge when he himself had faults. Falling in love is not a fault he thought bitterly to himself, feeling guilty for having ever thought it to be weird. Perhaps there were far more affections like that round here; plus he was glad that this vixen had someone to care for, and be cared for. All creatures needed that. "Rudeness? Oh no, there is no need to apologise, Aure. I can understand that it must be hard if you're unable to see her, especially when she bears your child." he was warmed by the appreciation that the onyx duchess sent, "I am also glad of your company too, and thank you."

As she continued to speak about talk of becoming a soldier, it was becoming evident that it was exactly what Andash needed. He desired the chance to become a value to the herd, and to be a soldier also meant he could protect the herd mates, friends and perhaps even a sweeheart and kin in the future. "Yes, I should become a soldier in no time. It will be a great relief when the wait is over and I am accepted into the ranks. I also believe in defending yourself and others around you."

The unease was sensed again by Andash, the bleached pelt shivering slightly, not from the breeze as it was pretty much non-existent in the sun trap of the deserts, but from the way that the charcoal dame almost appeared to be drowning in something that he wasn't sure of. It sort of frightened him. "Aure?"

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

ARBUTUS
</style>
When Tares sends   
her charge away
</style>

Aure's touch is welcome, and the phoenix coos with a gentle delight. He stretches his wing out to hers and butts his head playfully to embed his crest in her dark eagle feathers, but returns to his watchful duty when her wing folds back to her side. He cannot help but senses a certain distress in the mare, but he holds back his tears. In the foothills, Tares rests alone and vulnerable, carrying the weight of their children, even if she doesn't know it yet. Oh, but the little bird knows. He lies beside her at night and feels the warmth of two growing bodies within her, senses their stir and extends his flaming wings to wrap around her as a comfort. In the evening he cries for her, letting his tears fall gently upon her midnight hide and soothe the three souls that he guards. He longs for her company now, and feels anxious at their parting. Still, for a while longer he obeys his bonded's command.

It grows clear in moments that the stallion means no harm. The ghostly figure with the broken wing is not imposing in the slightest, and seems to treat Aure with nothing further than civility. The look in his beady eyes soften towards the stallion, and he realizes with appreciation that he is no longer needed here. Aure has found solace in the company of others, and he may at last return to his Tares. With a parting call and gentle wingbeats, he lifts himself from the branch and parts the canopy with a glittering flame and a subtle goodbye. His journey to the Foothills begins once again, and with each downstroke of his fire he remembers his companion's solitude. Pebbles of various shapes, colors, and sizes pass below them, but he gives them no mind; Tares is in the distance somewhere, and he intends to find her.

image by vinothchandar @ flickr.com</style>

Unregistered

</style>

I watched Tares’ companion fly away, seemingly approving of my company enough to leave me with him. I wondered how Tares was, knowing she was probably fine if she sent me Arbutus for company. I was happy and turned to Andash with a new enthusiasm. I was glad to hear he was to become a soldier; it seemed a good position for him. His pale form stood in front of mine, and the hot sun beat down on us both. I knew he could tell that missing my love was not the only thing on my mind. I couldn’t seem to shake the feeling of hooves ramming into my sides. Though I knew my nose was full, with the vine marking curled around it, I could feel no skin or coat. I flinched at the sudden movement of the leaves in the trees and insects scuttling along the ground. I could see something like fear and worry for me in the stallion’s ice blue eyes. And then he confirmed his worry by saying my name.

I sighed, knowing I should tell him about my abuse at the hands of Beauregard. I looked at the bloodmark on his chest, and Beauregard flashed before my eyes, his violet eyes reeling, and strong palomino legs rearing with black hooves ready to strike. “You think you’re strong, Aure? You’ll never be as strong as me. You will never escape me.” His voice sneered at me and I audibly gasped. I looked at Andash with fear and shame in my eyes. I felt I should explain my condition and the little I could remember about my past. He deserved to know why I was acting so strange. “I am sorry for acting so strange, Andash. I think I owe you an explanation. I have a condition, caused by faulty magic of the Earth God, that triggers a complete memory wipe. I am unable to remember my past sometimes after I wake up. Until recently, I had no idea about any part of my past. I remembered today. . . some hard things.” I took a deep breath and looked away, my green eyes still ashamed that I was once so weak. Telling this stallion would be a feat to accomplish that I was not sure I was ready for.

I steadied my emotions, steeling myself against the rearing hooves, angry whinnies, and blood-smeared coats that scattered my brain. The disorienting feeling of spontaneous snippets from my past made my head pound, feeling nauseous with the hate that stirred in my gut. I opened my mouth and closed it again, not extremely ready to voice aloud the horrors that the monster Beauregard had done.

Unregistered

andash</style>

The thoughts that whirled around Andash's head were bundled with confusion as to why the dame was so distressed. It never occured to him that she would explain; he never expected her to nor would have pressed her to. Sometimes things were best left alone, since it was after all none of his business. But as he watched the charcoal dame being flooded once again with whatever it was that was causing her mental pain, he began to feel increasingly worried. His azure orbs were littered with this concern and he made no attempt to hide his emotions from Aure. He guessed that just being there was a slight comfort to her, but knowing that he was actually feeling for her would perhaps give her some support. Probably wouldn't have any such effect, but there was no harm in displaying these emotions.

She sighed, before explaining to him what had happened. It confused and overwhelmed him, the power that she possessed must have been terribly confusing for the vixen. The idea that the memories of past event could be wiped in an instant terrified him, and made even more inclined to feel pity towards the obsidian. He guessed that she was perhaps even just as confused as him.

Aure appeared to pull herself together after explaining herself. He decided to comfort her the best he could, and threw his daggers into a slow walk to stand beside her and rest his velveteen on her wing joint in friendliness. He then pulled back and gazed at her with concerned pools of ice azure, before replying, "That must be terribly difficult for you, I do not think I could cope if I had been cursed with such an awful power. Do you think the gods would help you if you quested to be rid of this?" He thought that perhaps by suggesting a solution, he would succeed in some extent of reinforcing the friendship that he was offering to the dame.

Unregistered

</style>

The pale stallion was such a sweet friend. His concern for me shone clearly in his eyes, and I was grateful. Never had anyone shown such care for me, except Tares, though she was a different kind of care. She was my love, and I was hers. Our son would know such love, the most wonderful in the world. I looked at the ground shyly, embarrassed about my condition and preoccupied thinking about my past. I heard Andash suggest asking the gods to fix my memory. I had not thought of that myself, and excitedly smiled when I thought about it. Tares and our child could come home to a mother who had a working memory, for it never to be lost again. So much pain could be saved and I would always remember my child and my love. Things would be normal; we could be a perfect family with two competent mothers. I whinnied excitedly, immediately starting to plan my next visit with the gods, hoping it would be successful.

I looked up at Andash, excited by the prospect of a full, working memory, my green orbs full of thanks as I looked at his blue ones. And then something clicked in my mind. I had asked the gods to forget what Beauregard had done to me, and the Earth Goad had answered my plea. I wondered if his magic was faulty, or if he had intended to wipe my whole past from my mind. The light faded from my green eyes, as I looked back up at Andash. “That is a wonderful suggestion, Andash. But I am afraid that it is not possible. I. . . had a very awful past and asked the gods to relieve me of my burden by helping me forget the awful incidents that clouded my past. His magic has wiped my whole memory, and must trigger before I remember too much. Asking them to restore my memory could be extremely offensive to them, by asking them to revoke a gift I had previously asked for. I also do not know how I will handle remembering everything when I was protected from it for so long. I do wish it could be fixed, Andash, but I think it is too late for that.”

I hung my head and wished I could just forget all I had remembered, but not my Tares, never my Tares. I looked up at the ghostly stallion, grateful for his suggestion, sorry it could not work. “I thank you, Andash, but it seems we have talked about me quite a lot. I would like to know more about you, my new friend.

Unregistered

andash</style>

The excitement that glared in the dame's olive orbs lifted Andash's spirits and belief in her own power to take control of whatever it was that was affecting her. It seemed to Andash to be an easy decision to make, for the good of herself and no less the ones that she loved and lived for. But then the clouded brute noticed the fire receed from her orbs and the elation that had taken over her body dwindled to nothingness. It was a realisation in her mind, he guessed.

He listened with intent ears and a heavy heart for the charcoal duchess as she explained that it could perhaps be rude to ask to redeem her memory to it's full grandeur, possibly revoking the gift they had originally bestowed on her. He could not understand why this would be a problem. If the Gods had faults in making miracles when it came to Aure losing the tortures of her past, surely they would be nothing but obliged to fix it? Besides, what harm was there in trying. He knew that she could not leave herself in this state.

He stepped closer once again to whisper in his deep tone, serious and trusting.
"You never know, if this is a fault of the gods then they are the ones that must put it right," Andash threw his stare into the deep mossy pools of the silver vixen before any form of justification, "Revoking a gift is not your intention and I do not see how the gods would think it is. If you get answered, you simply ask for what is rightly any living creature's - their memory." A small smile spread across his lead velveteens. "All you can do in the end is try..."

It seemed apparent that Aure was growing uncomfortable with talking about herself. She had shifted the attention onto him, yet there was nothing much to tell. Just the standard childhood of a cripple and the lack of friendships and lovers made in his short life. He thought long and hard what to tell the friendly obsidian. "Ummm... I came from a herd in a land far from this one, it consisted of winged equines, nothing more. My father was a proud and stubborn brute, whilst my mother not as much. She had less of steel and more softness in her spine, but was heavily influenced by what my father and the rest of the herd thought. I had the standard childhood of anybody born abnormally, as I imagine practically all children are sentenced to." He turned his gaze away from Aure, looking out into the vast horizon of the terra firma, the heat rising off it like an oven. "Of course I got tired of all the jokes and having no prospects to rise to; I was a nobody. I decided I would make my own way in this world, jumping from a couple of herds which I never was truly accepted in and finally gave up. Because of my lack of wings, I travelled across the land until I reached here, the furthest I had ever travelled. And here I am." He was as unenthusiastic and uninspired by his dreary short story as anybody sane would be. It was not the best topic to share with a new friend, but it was what she apparently wanted to hear and Andash did not wish to disappoint. Instead, he waited for the reaction from the charcoal dame.

Unregistered

</style>

I was inspired by Andash’s story. He was a strong stallion, one who had the purpose and drive to walk all the way to Helovia for a new life. I was happy he had finally found a home where everyone could accept him for who he was. I was also glad the conversation had turned from me, as I knew I could never ask the gods to revoke their gift. I also in a way did not want them to, thinking that knowing what Beauregard had done to me would be just too much for me to bear. No, I knew not knowing was much better for me. I longed for my love, needing her now more than ever and knowing she needed me as well. Still, I had to accept the fact that she was not there and fully commit myself to talking to Andash.

I really did love his story, and wondered what it would be like to have a family. I smiled at the light stallion and tried to understand his struggle. It must be awful to be raised in a pegasus herd with defective wings, unable to enjoy the elation of flight. Again, I looked to the sky, feeling the clouds call to me with their refreshing wetness. I leaned against the tree we stood by, feeling exhausted from the Tallsun heat being absorbed by my black coat. I could tell that Andash was not at all impressed by his story, thinking it boring himself. “You are enlightening, Andash. Your strength to endure in a herd full of winged creatures when you could not enjoy the same luxury as them is admirable, as well as having the determination to walk the long way to Helovia. We welcome you as a wonderful and perfect addition to the Dragon’s Throat herd.” I bowed my head in respect for this stallion, seeing in him what he could not. He was a wonderful listener, and I hoped I was the same for him. There were not words to express how grateful I was for his distraction from missing my Tares.

Unregistered

andash</style>

The admiration and kindness that was glinting in the dame's eyes and rang in the gentle tone of her voice was carried across to the ashen brute softly. It whisped around him, filling him with the warmth that it was aimed to do. He could not believe Aure, however, after spending his entire life as the jester it was always difficult to believe anything that was positive about him. All Andash knew was to do exactly what the duchess was doing to him to others (when they were close enough to him). There was no point in causing hassle for other creatures who were merely struggling along the same paths of life, trying to survive in a world that showed little mercy. He was grateful for being able to confide in the charcoal dame what he had struggled to tell anyone for a lifetime; it was eternally a great release to share stories of his past. It was as creatures said, "a problem shared is a problem halved" and this could be applied to all manner of things.

He brought himself back out of his thoughts to reply in the same deep, gruff and friendly voice, "I am most grateful to you Aure, it is not often that I am able to share such memories. It almost makes me feel better since then perhaps I feel I am understood a bit better..." His azure orbs glowed in the harshness of the bright sun. It's heat was spitting down on his pelt like a dragon's fury, making him deeply uncomfortable.

Unregistered

</style>
       My heart filled when the stallion looked warmed to hear what I thought of him. I did think him brave to endure everything he had, and still try and find a place to belong. Many would simply fade into the background, slipping into their private selves and never trying to become friends with others. I smiled warmly at the pale brute, his ice blue orbs a comfort to my green, as we stood by the tree, simply basking in the company of another. It really was a wonder that two could say so little and still remain in comfortable silence, hanging onto the fact that they were interacting with another. The sheer contact of another was all one really needed to feel like they were not alone in the world, as I had as soon as Tares had gone to bear our child.

I wondered what to do next, as we had both shared much about our past. I sighed—Him more than me, knowing that if I talked about Beauregard I was likely to start shaking uncontrollably. Maybe it was better if I tried, got everything out there so I could try and move on. The one thing I was worried about was another trigger. I did not want to remember so much, or maybe something so awful that when I slept, I would awake not missing my Tares, not knowing I was a mother, not understanding who Arbutus was when he came bearing the news of the beginning of my son’s birth. I could not miss such things. I knew that I would eventually remember Tares, but I would never forgive myself for missing such a special moment.

Still, I owed Andash a greater explanation for the position he found me in, and the act-up of my nerves after. I took a deep breath, preparing myself to explain to him about Beauregard. “Andash, I owe you a more detailed explanation about my past. I do not know much of it, but I do know that I was subject to some terrible abuse.” I stopped, visibly shaking, and let out a soft, nervous snort. I had to go on, for my sake and Andash’s. “It was my former lover. He beat me. He beat me so awfully; he stripped my nose of all the flesh and took some muscles with it. I had to go to the Earth god, not for my nose, but to get away from him, to forget the horrors I had witnessed. The god was more than kind, reconstructing my nose and blessing me with this vine marking. I . . . am sorry I could not say this all earlier. When you found me, I had been experiencing a reaction to the trigger, which made me see this memory.” I hung my head, ashamed I was so weak, and wondering what Andash would say to this dark revelation.

Unregistered

andash</style>

Another wash of concern flooded across Andash's crown as Aure described her horrific past. He was disgusted that a creature, nevermind a lover could harm such a sweet and friendly dame as the charcoal that stood before him. He hoped that such insanities would never ever cross his mind. It was not in his nature. The alabaster brute would have liked to think that it would never cross anybody's mind, but there was no telling what insane creatures were actually lurking out there in the world.

He rested his good, magnificent bleached wing adorned with pristine feathers onto the slopes of her back in comfort and understanding. Andash knew that it took a lot of courage and nerves to coax back the horrific happenings of the past by explaining it to someone. The bleached beast was, however, glad to be there for Aure, hoping that it gave her some comfort like she did for him as he explained his life story. As hard as his past may have been, he had to give it to her - there was no compare to the physical and mental pain the obsidian dame would endured.

Sending a silent word of thanks to the God of the Earth, Andash turned his gaze to look back at Aure, quietly telling her everything she needed to know with his expression. Yet he felt the need to talk to curb the silence that was deafening underneath the glaring hot sun. "It is a blessing that the kind God protected you. I don't know what desperation or madness makes a creature do that to anyone, especially their lover," he smiled with his soft velveteens as he said, "I am glad that Taures is here to look after you now."

With a slight flick of his ears back and forth, he could hear the rustle of trees in the distance, disturbed by the movement of the birds taking flight. He sighed with content as it lay silent once more, nothing but the faint eerie sound of the light breeze touching the far corners of the desert.

Unregistered

</style>
       I looked shyly at Andash as he told me how lucky I was to have a mate like Tares, and I fully understood him. Tares was a gift from the gods, much like my freedom from Beauregard, the mending and marking of my nose, and our son. Our son was the most wonderful blessing of all. Judging by the cycles of the moon and sun, I thought I should be seeing Arbutus soon, bearing the news that our colt was about to be born. I rejoiced at being able to see my Tares again, and being there to drape my comforting charcoal wing across her back as she carried the painful weight of our child. I looked at the ghostly stallion who had kept my company for so long, sharing heartfelt stories and comforting glances. Andash would always be a true friend. I gently and slightly opened my wings, and slightly shook the feathers and aching muscles. Tightly squeezing the large gliders against my sides made them ache and long for freedom, like the sky.

I considered flying to the Foothills, to see my Tares a few days early, even though I knew I should wait for a message from Arbutus. I sighed inwardly and arranged a slight smile on my soft features, thankful for the company I had anyway. I leaned against the trunk of the tree, my legs tender from walking for so long. My nerves were still shaky, and telling my stories, not to mention experiencing them before Andash arrived was taking a toll on my strength. The less I had to think about Beauregard, the better, and getting away from the place I remembered him last would ease my mind. I knew Andash would understand, and I was sure that he had better things to do with his time than listen to a dame’s troubles.

I stood to my full height, and looked with bright and lively green orbs at the pair of ice blue before me. “You have been wonderful to me, Andash. You were lucky to happen upon me when you did, before I really had time to think about my flashback. I assume you will understand my need to leave this spot, so I can simply clear my wretched thoughts? It has been wonderful sharing ever so much with you, and you will always be a true friend. When Tares returns with our son, I should very much like for you to meet them. I know she will like you very much.”

I turned from the pale brute, ready to walk away, as soon as he told me it was alright. He was a wonderful stallion, proof of the finest we housed in the Dragon’s Throat herd.