the Rift

« Companion Tournament 2014 » -- SIGN UP

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

« WHAT »

Trainers of all types gather round.
To greatness your companions soon are bound!

Your cause is to be the very best, I know.
Hence you'll viciously compete, toe to toe.

Not your own health at risk, no never!
Just that of your loyal friend; your soul's tether.

Forget the chocolates, the flowers, the hearts.
Today you celebrate love by ripping it apart.

To get everyone geared up for Valentine's day, I thought we needed a splash of color! More specifically the red hue the holiday is so well known for, but due to a shortage in paint, you can use the innocent blood of your companion victims, yaaaay! Nothing says "I love you dear," quite like a mangled dragon sliding in and out of consciousness.

« WHEN »

The first round will begin January 16th.

« WHY »

Our VALENTINE VICTOR will receive:
-- a custom piece of art by me in whatever style and extensiveness they desire (as compared to other art in my gallery)
-- a custom piece of art by Tamme!
-- this snazzy custom icon to go in their profile!

Our BLOODY BEAST will receive:
-- a custom piece of art by me with no back ground and simple character shading.

ALL PARTICIPANTS may place this snazzy icon in their profile!

« HOW »

1. You may enter as many characters as you like.
   » You do not need to have a companion to enter this, as companions can be created specifically for this event.
   » Characters must be at least 1 year of age to enter, in order to provide some semblance of realism :3

2. The fight follows a pokemon theme, meaning your character serves like a pokemon trainer (cannot directly fight, stands on sidelines and coaches) and can have up to 3 different companions to choose from before starting the battle.
   a. It is assumed the companion you have listed in slot 1 will be the one to enter each battle first. However you do not have to then use the order of 2 and 3 the rest of the battle.
   b. Companions can be switched out, but only in the very beginning of your post and at the expense of guaranteed 2 damage. If one of your companions faints (0 HP) then another one that's still conscious can be sent in without damage expense.
   c. Your 3 companions and their stats are selected at sign ups. You cannot change what companions you have between fight rounds.
   d. Companions can be any of the mythical species and normal companions. You can have all 3 of one type of companion. You may use your character's actual companion, or those of your other characters, and even those belonging to other players with their permission, but a companion can only belong to one trainer!
   e. Companions can be of a single elemental type and know up to 4 companion abilities of that element, regardless of normal companion species restrictions on abilities.
   f. There are 10 stat templates for your companion, so at sign up you may select a template for each companion. A die will be rolled to determine your companion's age, which will affect its HP. Any other physical or innate advantages or disadvantages should be accounted for though in character posting.

3. The rules will follow a typical OOC Spar of 1 vs. 1, using the hybridized dice system, posted in the battlefield.
   » OOC Spar means your character will earn no VP, will not retain the injuries, and will not retain any memories or experience from the event. You need to stay in character as much as possible and keep with realism, however this allows for more creative reasons why the fight is occurring (awareness of the tournament) and outlandish environments and weather.

4. All fights will be 3 posts each + closing defense for the first to attack, 800 word maximum. Please attack within your first post to quicken the process, it is assumed the two fighters are both present and moving.
   » Magic use is unlimited, but unrealistic use will cause loss in realism.

5. Replies must be made within 72 hour intervals during rounds. This means a round will never exceed 21 days. There is no absence allowance or extensions.

6. If the round holds an uneven number of fighters then the highest score among those who did not win, but completed their last round, will proceed to the next round.
   » If the highest score is tied or if none completed, but at least posted in the last round, then a die will be rolled to determine who among them will proceed.
» If in the final round there are 3 fighters, we will do a 3 way fight. More will be explained at the time of, if, occurrence.

7. As the rounds progress towards the final pair, the difficulty of the weather and environment will increase.

8. I, Blu, will not be participating within the tournament so will be controlling the randomization of pairing fighters in rounds and the start and end of each round. I will judge each finished fight with the hybridized dice rubric, posted in the roll request forum of the same fight thread for viewing.

I will roll most of the dice as I am able, but with the dice roll form anyone not directly involved in the fight may also roll so we can allow the fights to progress as fast as possible. Rolls are done after an attack post from a competitor is made, within the Roll Request Forum. For each set of fighters within a round, please make a thread for die roll requests within the Roll Request board, bumping whenever a new roll is needed :)

By entering the tournament you are agreeing to these rules and conditions. Any concerns or questions please direct them to me.

« WHO »

Round pairing will be listed in a new post to this thread and cross pasted to this section!

2014 Companion Tournament Stat Information
I will roll for age at the time I update your character/companion info on the spreadsheet. Each character will receive their tab with the info.
   » You do not need to have 3 companions and your companions do not need to know 4 magical abilities, these are just the maximums.

+ = A character that will only participate if we have an uneven number of fighters when entries close. We need only one character like this so anyone willing to volunteer please state so during sign up! It will be based on first come first serve.

Please fill out the following form to enter:
Code:
<b>Character Name:</b> (add a * in front of the name if you want to be tagged for important notices like new rounds and rubric postings for that character.)

<b>COMPANION 1</b>
<b>Name:</b>
<b>Species:</b>
<b>Status:</b> Plain, Common, Royal (Mythical only)
<b>Stat Template:</b> Agility, Agility|Endurance, Agility|Speed, Agility|Strength, Endurance, Endurance|Speed, Endurance|Strength, Speed, Speed|Strength, Strength
<b>Elemental Type:</b> Earth, Dark, Fire, Light, Spark, Time, Water, Wind (ice counts as water)
<b>Magic:</b> (your companion can know up to 4 companion abilities, but they must be of the same elemental type listed above. Species restrictions do not apply.)
<b>Description:</b> (briefly explain appearance and personality, references helpful!)
<hr>
<b>COMPANION 2</b>
<b>Stat Template:</b> Agility, Agility|Endurance, Agility|Speed, Agility|Strength, Endurance, Endurance|Speed, Endurance|Strength, Speed, Speed|Strength, Strength
<b>Elemental Type:</b> Earth, Dark, Fire, Light, Spark, Time, Water, Wind (ice counts as water)
<b>Magic:</b> (your companion can know up to 4 companion abilities, but they must be of the same elemental type listed above. Species restrictions do not apply.)
<b>Description:</b> (briefly explain appearance and personality, references helpful!)
<hr>
<b>COMPANION 3</b>

Name - companion 1 | companion 2 | companion 3

« ROUND 1 »

# fighters, # fights

WEATHER - words.
SETTING - words.

1. ? vs. ?

COUNTDOWN CLOCK FOR ROUND 1 TO END - MAXIMUM LENGTH

Silly, it hasn't started yet!

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Crowley Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 12 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Talbot :: Common Hellhound :: Acid & Name? :: Caracal :: None Dingo
I would love to join this myself, but am afraid I'd just end up defaulting D: SO. I offer up the companions of my characters instead, to those who would like them! That includes Crowley's hellhound, Talbot, and Destrier's dragon, Suli. ^^

Open for sign ups ;D

squeaky boop.

If this is a busy time we can aim to start it on valentine's day? I know the plague has their tourney right now too ^^

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Honestly, I'm just a little overwhelmed by the three-companion aspect of it, and picking stats and stuff. That's why I haven't signed up yet :(

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
I'm overwhelmed as well. I am going to sign up for sure, but I just can't get my head around the stats and bits xD

Okay, what's the confusing part? All of it or? Is there just too many rules??

The example I posted earlier, in case anyone didn't see -

Your characters are the trainer, and you can use companions you actually have, or create new ones for this event, so that 1 character can have a maximum of 3 companions. The reason you can select up to 3 companions is like in pokemon you can have a team of 6 pokemon, but as our rounds will only be 3 posts we don't really need 3.

The reason you can design/create your own companions is so that even those characters without companions can join this tournament. This also gives you a chance to play with a companion type, personality etc. that you may not normally have. Just like in pokemon you catch a new pokemon and it will look slightly different, behave differently and know different moves, even if it's the same kind of pokemon. i.e. 2 pikachus are not exactly alike, just as you can create 2 kitsune's for your team that are different.

I still allow in game companions to be used since I figure some people would prefer their already made companions with a set personality and history with the character/trainer.

i.e.

Gaucho the trainer has a full team with 3 companions: Mara the Snake (dark), Irma the owl (water) and Akaith the dragon (fire).

vs.

Phaedra the trainer with a partial team of 2 companions: Bob the bear (earth) and Sue the Cendyr (light)

Gaucho starts the fight with Mara, but she ends up against the light type Cendyr, so Gaucho calls her back and sends out Irma. Irma loses all her HP so in the next post Gaucho sends out Akaith.

**please note you cannot use another character/player's actual companions without permission, this is just an example**

Stats - you just select one of the templates you want, because otherwise I didn't know how to figure out stats for the companions. The stats function like pokemon in the way that you have speed, strength etc, but are mostly so we can use the die system. The stats are fairly even though, as I didn't want any major advantages or disadvantages.

I'll roll a die for the companion age, unless it's an in game companion. This age kinda equates to pokemon levels, hence more HP for higher ages.

Your companion can have up to 4 magical abilities, just like pokemon can have 4 moves. Unlike pokemon your companion can still use its physical abilities like bite and scratch, so the 4 abilities in this tourney are magical ones. They have to be the pre-made magical abilities for Helovia companions, which can be found in the guidelines.

Also like pokemon your companion will be a 'type', or in our case, a specific element, and can only learn abilities of that element for simplicity sake.

Not sure if that was helpful or more confusing xD Just trying to explain why i did things to relate the tourney to pokemon as much as possible, as that was the voted on style.

Hmm.... reasons I'm overwhelmed

1. I feel obligated to have three companions because otherwise it seems like I'll have a disadvantage vs. somebody who chooses to have three.

2. Trying to make three new, consistent personalities (so that I don't get docked mega points for having all-over-the-place emotions) just seems like a lot.

3. I don't know pokemon weaknesses/advantages. Is that in play in this tournament? One more thing to consider.

4. I just haven't looked enough at the picking stats thing, so that would probably be easier once I took a look.

So I guess, overall, you're probably right. Just too many rules for me. If it was just standard 1 companion battle, tiered like we did for Halloween, I would have signed up immediately, but I know people voted for pokemon, so you're just giving us what we, collectively, asked for :D

We're all kinda in the woods since this hasn't been done before so even I'm not sure how it'll all turn out.

1. However the way I tried to set it up, 3 companions is really more for variety of type and species. The idea was to get to play around with a lot of different companions and magic, to enjoy creating and exploring, since normally in game you get so few chances to do that. Having 3 companions would allow you more choices to pick from when facing an opponent, however with most companions having an HP of 20 it is still possible to win with just 2 companions, but probably not with 1 (though it is possible!), as in most fights characters can lose between 30-40 HP, but consider our rounds will be only 3 posts not 4.

2. They don't have to be very complex personalities, just something to base it off. for instance in pokemon when you catch a new one it tells you their nature, such as brave, cautious, fearful etc. That's more what I'm looking for. Of course you can get complex if you want, again giving you freedom to get creative and explore. This, for instance, would be a great time to test run companion ideas you've been wanting for your character, especially if you can't decide between a few!

3. The type advantages will only come into play in the later rounds as a difficulty setting, and will be very simplified, following something like this:
Time>Light>Dark>Earth>Spark>Water>Fire>Wind>Time
Ice counts as water, otherwise I think all the other companion elemental types are straightforward.

Advantage: A fire type dragon uses fire breath against a wind type kitsune so the Kitsune has to play it off as more of a critical hit (SUPER EFFECTIVE).
Disadvantage: A fire type dragon uses fire breathe against a water type kitsune so it will have almost no effect (NOT VERY EFFECTIVE).

That helps clear some things up for me, Blu. Thanks for the help. I'll look at this again and think more about signing up ^.^

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
I'm signing Elsa up for this too. :]
I just need some time to get things set up, as I don't want to randomly post things. xD