Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 :: 12 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
alleo</style>
Below my soul
I feel an engine
Collapsing as it sees the pain
If I could only shut it out...
</style>

Some days before Alleo had been in a forest, though it was nothing like the one he was standing in now. The Threshold was sparse in places and could be considered sunny compared to this and Alleo found that he much preferred this forest. It was quieter, more peaceful, and he felt as though he could wander without feeling obligated to find some lost soul and offer them sanctuary only to have his head bitten off by the ungrateful wretch that he found. The stallion looked up toward the canopy and watched the birds as the darted from tree to tree, chirping and singing to one another. Squirrels scampered through the fallen leaves and pine needles as they gathered food for the coming Frostfall and Alleo knew that it was only a matter of time before the snow would be pelting them and food would become scarce. He watched a pair of squirrels race across a tree branch then down the trunk and play tag around the base of a tree before running back up again.

The corners of Alleo's mouth curled upward as he watched them, marveling at how carefree they were in the face of the coming Frostfall. He envied them and wished that there had been a time in his life when he'd had even an ounce of their apparent happiness. His snowy tail flicked and he began to walk once more. There were several clearings in the forest that he came upon and each was beautiful in its own way. Some were filled with wildflowers, butterflies and bees floating from one to the other. Soon they would be buried under feet of snow. Another had a small creek cutting through it and several deer and stopped to drink. Alleo, himself, took a moment to drink from the stream before his journey continued.

For hours the stallion walked in complete silence, observing the wildlife that he glimpsed on his travel. Eventually he came to the center of the forest, though he had no way of knowing it was, and stopped short. Before him stood a giant tree, bigger than any of the others that he remembered seeing and at the base of the tree was a pool of water. Alleo stepped closer and peered down at the pool of water and his reflection and was shocked when his reflection was tainted red. The first thought that came to mind was that it was a pool of blood that he was staring in to, but there was no scent of death. His head lowered and he sniffed at the water and noted that it did not have the irony scent of blood. Then he tasted it and found that it tasted nothing like blood. Alleo lifted his head again and looked at the tree and wondered why it stood where it did, larger than life and so very imposing, and what the pool at its base was supposed to signify.

"

@[Rasta]

Credits

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
Flames - they licked the walls
tenderly, they turned to dust all that I adore
I was heading back toward the forests again. It made sense to me, really, that now that I had the ability of sight, perhaps I could understand just what had ripped me of that connection. But, the trek was a bit longer than I had expected. My muscles were burning from the distance it took until I had reached the vibrations what were a cause of a headache every time I had dared to come near here.

All of the times it had been to investigate, but I had felt the same thing. Perhaps I would find something different with the use of my eyes. However, the closer I got to the forest the darker it got. At least, the darker it got with the light. The colours were so vibrant. The deep hues of greens as they faded into some oranges and red with the turn of the fall into an almost winter-like state. and the young squirrels as they chittered and chased each other around. They seemed to be having so much fun, to be so care free. It was strange, and something I wished I had been able to experience in the past at least a few times. Reds and blues, hues of the birds as they flew through the trees.

One in particular caught my attention, though. A hawk. A red-tailed hawk. Like my hawk, it's call was so familiar, so comforting. Just like the one who I had lost. But, it was young. Very young. Probably only a year old, and definitely not mine - but it was still a hawk. I could feel the tears, but I tried to follow it as it took to the sky. My sight locked on the creature as it flew through the trees, weaving and ducking. It was by following this beautiful creature that I stumbled across someone whom I had met before. His build and movements familiar to my mind's memory of the vibrations.

I wasn't used to the sight, though. And my judgements on distance were a little off. As I tried to stop my entire body slammed into his haunches from the gallop I had been in to keep up with the hawk. Instantaneously, I stumbled backwards, ears flickering backwards for a second in shock at my lack of ability to truly discern my surroundings with my sight. My mouth opens, to apologize but while air comes out the sound seems to not form. I shake my head, pinning my ears in distaste. It would help me, in the future, but now it seemed as though I could not form any manners, any real way to apologize.

My head bows, eyes closing as I feel the vibrations around me. It is only then which I place just who it is that is before me. Alleo. Quickly, my audits are alert and forward again, a whicker escaping my mouth in some sort of an apology. Then, I turn my gaze to the pool of red and the wide tree not too far from our sides...

Alleo Posts: 115
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
ali
alleo</style>
Below my soul
I feel an engine
</style>

Uncharacteristically, Alleo had allowed his guard to fall as he was lulled into a sense of security by the peaceful state of the forest around him. He was wholly unprepared for the sudden appearance of a mare bursting from the trees and as a result everything felt like it happened in a split second. One moment he was looking at his reflection in the water and the next he was careening forward, muscles tight as his warrior training kicked in almost instantly. Had it not been for Rasta's scent he would not have thrown himself forward toward the pool of water but would have bucked at her and sent hard, solid hooves flying at her body. Now he stood completely drenched from his headfirst dive into the water, forelock plastered to his face and mane sticking to his neck, the pale mess of his tail floating in the water around him.

Ever so slowly Alleo turned, irritated with himself for letting his guard down and with Rasta for being equally as careless as he had been. Had he actually bucked at her and caught her just right he could have injured her horribly. He'd seen many a strong stallion not survive a kick to the head and Rasta was far more delicate than any stallion he had ever fought with.

"Rasta." He greeted the mare as he leaned a little to the side to see if anything else would burst from the trees. A wolf would explain why a blind mare would be running headlong through a dense forest, but no wolf burst from the trees, nor did any bear, or any other manner of predator. His mismatched eyes slid back to the pale mare and his brows furrowed in confusion when she whickered instead of spoke directly to him. "Are you okay?" He peered behind her again. "Were you running from something?"

The stallion pulled his body from the pool of water and took a few steps toward Rasta before stopping, still facing the direction she had come from. If she really had been running from something and needed protection he would be a better protector out of the water. His ears rotated atop his head as he listened for any sounds, hoof falls, howls, screams from any number of big cats that prowled the forest and his nostrils flared as he sucked in lungfuls of air to try and locate a particular scent that might have frightened her.

Nothing.

Several more steps carried Alleo past Rasta and he scented the air again, his confusion growing with each passing second.

"."

Credits

I had run right into him. Apparently I needed to work on my depth perception with the actual additive of colour and the ability to focus in on objects now. As I closed my eyes and stumbled backwards, prepared for some sort of kick to come towards my chest or face I made sense of the looming figure before me. It was definitely Alleo, but he was bunching his muscles and seeming to fall straight into the pool of water before the tree.

A whinny escaped my maw, almost like a laugh, but definitely sounding sorrowful, as if it were an apology. I allowed my eyes to open again, taking in his pale form as his black locks stuck to his face and his neck. He seemed to turn around carefully, muscled tensed just enough to seem irritated, or so the vibrations around me told me. I still couldn't figure out the actual appearance when the colour and the vibrancy of the world was added in. It seemed as though I had a lot to get used to now.

I shuddered, shaking out my body as I glanced back up toward the sky, hoping to see the baby hawk flying around. Alas, I was not that lucky. It was the sound of my name that pulled my attention back toward the reality in front of me. No more memories of the hawk that had once been my other half. He's gone. Accept it. I kept telling myself that. But, I didn't feel whole anymore, and I wanted to break something for the creation that had ripped him from me and killed him. But, I didn't know what to attack, what to shatter.

It was strange, how now it seemed as though I was angry. Angry at the world. But, perhaps it had been the sight of the hawk that had changed that all. I shook my head, forcing my attention back on Alleo as I heard more word fall from his mouth. He seemed to be leaning off to the side, as if to peer around me - which I must say was completely unnecessary considering just how tall he was in comparison to me - and his brows were furrowing in confusion. He asked if I was okay, and I nodded my head, right as he asked if I was running from something.

Instantly I shook my head. No. No. Not running from something. Running after something... But I couldn't explain. I couldn't form the words. And he was walking now, his large body splashing the water out of his way as he came back onto the land. He stood only a few steps away from my frame as he continued to look toward the forest, and I continued to shake my head. For some reason, though, I doubted that he was actually paying attention to the shaking of my head, telling him that I was not running away from anything. I open my jaw, my throat tightening as I go to actually speak only to feel like I was being choked. I supposed that just because I desired to speak more that the desire to keep me mute was stronger. Instantly I shut my jaw, ears pinning in disdain before I coughed a little, inhaling quickly to gather back the air that had not been allowed to enter my lungs.

When he seemed to find nothing he moved a few steps past me, continuing to look at the forest from whence I had come to see if there was something, anything, that would explain why I had crashed into his frame so distastefully.

I couldn't stand to watch him look around like a lost puppy anymore, trying to find something to protect the damsel from when there was absolutely no need for it. I snorted once and stamped my right fore hoof against the harsh dirt. Alleo. Dammit. Nothing is out there. I thought to myself, grumbling in my head about how it seemed that being mute was not having any advantages. However, had I honestly expected there to be? Maybe... Perhaps I thought I'd not have to explain to anyone what was going on... Oh, I was an idiot. It seemed that when I just needed that shoulder to cry on, to mourn this loss I would not be able to gain any of it. For how was I to explain the tightness in my heart - the crushing suffocating feeling of being alone and lost when the one who had known me the best was gone - if I was unable to speak?

I shook my head before closing the distance between us, stopping beside his drenched frame, a smirk upon my mouth at how silly he looked. Definitely edging towards a lost puppy. But he was strong, and his pelt being matted down by the water only continued to show the muscles that had been hidden before I had run into his hind end. Another stomp of my hoof to get his attention before I reached up and snagged a lock of his mane. Gently, I tugged on the wet piece of hair to try and get his attention completely onto me. My eyes actually locked on his, the orbs focusing for once, and then I bumped his shoulder, allowing my warm breath to brush against his pelt if he would allow it for a few moments before I took a step back.

My audits were perked up, and I turned my head, resting my maw against the glowing hawk on my haunches for a few moments before tossing my head up to the sky as if I were looking for one of them. I don't know how long I stood like that. Maybe it was only but thirty seconds, but it felt like a lifetime. My chest tightening as my eyes watered, begging for something to crack, for something to pay for the death of my companion. And, when I looked back at him my nostrils were flared, trying to take in all the oxygen possible to keep my throat from burning as the tears slid down my face.

I was alone, even if the protector who had told me about this hawk marking was right in front of me. I couldn't explain. And so I was alone...

ali
alleo</style>
Below my soul
I feel an engine
</style>

She had nodded when he'd asked if she'd run from something and that was what drove the stallion to stand guard and search for what she had been running from. What he didn't understand was why she didn't speak because he knew that she could, they'd had a conversation before on the beach. Was she too scared to speak? There was nothing out there except for more forest. His wet tail flicked and slung water around him as he stepped toward the forest again. He looked prepared for a fight but it was seeming more and more that there was nothing out there to fight other than a boogeyman that probably didn't even exist. But there had to be something that had scared her, right?

Alleo flicked an ear in Rasta's direction when he heard her stomp a hoof on the ground, but his eyes never stopped scanning the treeline. Gradually his gaze lifted and he began to look among the tree branches, thinking that maybe something was up there. He'd seen cougars take down fully grown stallions. All it took was a good vantage point and a well placed bite to the back of the neck to break it and sever the spinal chord. The muscles in his shoulders jumped and twitched at the very idea and he turned his body, continuing to look among the treetops.

Nothing.

Another stomp of her hoof was ignored, but he could hardly ignore her when she grabbed a lock of his mane and tugged on it so that he would face her. Green and blue orbs locked on blue that was less cloudy than he remembered. Less cloudy and more... focused? He stared for a moment before his eyes grew wide and his mouth dropped open slightly. "Can you see me?" He asked in a hushed voice. Could she really see or was he having a dream about a mare he had only met once? No, it had to be a reality because he'd never dreamed about anyone before that hadn't tried to maim him in one way or another.

The stallion stared in shock and confusion, not knowing what else to say. How could someone that was blind suddenly get her sight back? Whatever it was it was a wonderful miracle, but did she have to trade something for it? Slowly, it dawned on Alleo that Rasta still had not said a single word to him. She whickered and whinnied and stomped her hooves and tugged on his mane. He came to the conclusion that she had traded her voice for sight. Which was the lesser of two evils? Being blind or being mute? Had he been faced with a similar choice he probably would have chosen to be mute, too, but it was a shame because he had liked the lilting sound of Rasta's voice.

"You lost your voice." He said, though it had been meant as a question. She began to move, nosing the marking on her side that he had told her before that she'd had and she hadn't believed him. "Your marking.. I told you that you had it." Her head then lifted to the sky and Alleo looked up as she had, but there was nothing up there aside from the songbirds that were still flying from tree to tree. He frowned and looked back at Rasta who was still looking at the sky. "A hawk." He suddenly said. "You were looking for one?" He sounded skeptical of his question and his face took on a shocked look again when Rasta looked at him teary eyed. "Don't cry!" He blurted out, but it was too late and tears were already sliding down her face. Alleo stepped forward and reached toward her to brush away the tears with his muzzle if she would allow it.

Credits

He seemed so lost in thought. His muscles tense, head raised. Strong. Like nothing was going to harm me - if there had been anything there that would have, at least. But, for the life of me I could not find a way to get his attention. His tail was sticking to the curves of his haunches, flinching as his muscles twitched in nerves. Then, one flick and some of the water drops hit my flesh in a manner that only made me want to gain his attention again.

A sigh escaped my maw. He had to think I was too afraid to speak. Idiot! But I supposed it was a logical train to follow when they had held a conversation not that long ago. I stomped, feeling the dirt envelope my hoof with a hard "thump" and then a "squish" as I raised it out of the gush I had accidentally placed it in. The only response given to me, though, was a flick of his ear. Not a turn of his head, no eyes, not even his frame inching in closer to mine. What if I'd stomped to try and kill a snake? Huh? Want me dead? I grumbled to myself, before almost laughing at the thought. Of course he would think it was worse. If I came in that fast then there couldn't be a snake that I'd be running away from.

And then his eyes, they were focusing on the tree tops. Cougar? He thinks it's some sort of wild cat? Also logical, I supposed, but still not the point. He was getting tenser every second though, and the last thing I wanted was for him to have a heart attack because I had tried to answer his first question a little bit too late. A slight turn of his frame, and I have stomped the ground again, feeling the mud from the pond cling to my pelt and I attempted to shake it off in agitation. He ignored it again, and so this time I took it upon myself to inch forward. Dammit. Alleo. PAY ATTENTION! I wanted to scream at him, but I knew the words would not come, not when I had nearly choked myself not that long ago while trying to say his name - only so that he didn't try and find whatever the boogieman he thought was following, the nonexistent boogieman.

So I tugged on his hair, trying to get him to look at me. and, when he finally did I managed to meet his gaze completely, orbs focusing upon his unmatched pair. And, then he seems to only stare, his jaw dropping ever so slightly. I tilt my head, eyebrows furrowing before I his voice hit my ears. Can I see him, an emphasis on the word see. I nod my head, lifting my maw to try and brush his own eyes to make certain he knew i was agreeing with the sight. Yes. I can see. But I can't talk. I thought to myself, watching as he continued to stare at me, as if there was something wrong. My audits flicked backwards, hurt sliding into my eyes, into the features of my face. There will always be something wrong with me. Something that will push everyone away from me, deem me broken and unusable. It seems the gift of sight... I shouldn't have gained for Alleo almost looks like he wishes I hadn't been given it... I thought to myself, my legs shuffling me back a few steps as I squeezed my orbs shut and shook my head.

I should have expected nothing less. No one would understand. I would be shunned away again. And this time, with a form of anger and depression suffocating me with no way to get rid of it. And then his voice again, seeming to have broken out of the trance. He realized I had lost my voice. Good job. Now can you read my mind? I plead in my cranium, ears falling back not in anger but in weakness, my head nodding slowly before I placed my maw upon my marking.

He spoke of how he had told me that I had it. But, it was when I lifted my head to the sky that he seemed to have fallen silent. And that silence had my throat burning and breaking. Oh. How deeply alone. The hawk was gone. He was not circling around. He named the bird upon my haunch and then asked if I was looking for one. Again, I nodded my head a little before shaking my head as I saw the young bird fly across the opening between the trees only to disappear a second later. I'm looking for mine... I'm looking for what killed mine... I thought to myself and as I looked back toward him everything was blurry. I could feel the salty tears as they slid down my cheeks, dripping off of my face and to the ground. He said not to cry, but I couldn't stop it. I could feel him coming closer though, because my sight was completely hindered by the tears that were swarming around my orbs. And, as he reaches out toward my face I simply close my eyes, allowing him to brush away the tears that I'm trying to stop from continuing.

The more air that I drink in the easier it is to breathe without a burning in my throat making my eyes water. A gentle nod of my head as I take in two quick breaths in succession and try and bury my face against his shoulder for a moment, as if it would stem the flow of the salty liquid that continued to fall from my eyes.

One minute, two minutes, three minutes, and finally the heaves in my chest had subsided, and the tears were no longer falling. Slowly, I pulled my head back from his shoulder and tugged on a piece of his hair again, trying to ensure that I had his attention again as I attempted to find a way to explain just what I had been doing, just why I was crying, just why I was broken.

I waited a few seconds, trying to meet his gaze before I, once again, touched my maw to the hawk marking, lipping at it's wings a couple of times before resting my maw against my beating heart. A couple of seconds there, a few deep breaths, and then I am reaching toward where his heart is, where the soul is kept. Companion. Alleo. Companion. I don't know how to explain... I thought to myself, my orbs peering up towards him, distress in my eyes as I wonder if he'll understand. How do I explain the loss without words? How do I explain the flood of memories that I just cannot escape...

ali
alleo</style>
Below my soul
I feel an engine
</style>

His eyes closed and his head lowered to be within her reach as she lifted her muzzle to his faced and tenderly brushed it over his eyes. He knew for sure then that the nod of her head had been a yes to his question of if she could see. He was confused when, moments later, she reeled back as if he had tried to physically harm her. His brows furrowed and his ears tilted back against his head as she squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head. "What did I say?" he asked, confusion lacing his deep voice. "I didn't mean to upset you." He took a step forward then stopped, wondering if maybe she just didn't want to be close to him and it struck him as odd at how much the idea hurt. Was he really that unlikable? Mares threatened him in the Threshold and the one that he'd managed to have a decent conversation with suddenly was acting as if she didn't want anything to do with after she'd nearly ran him down. She could at least be appreciative that he'd taken a nosedive into water instead of bashing her skull in.

She simply nodded and touched the marking, answering his questions in stride with either a nod or a shake of her head. Alleo was worried for the mare because he couldn't ask her what happened without having to play a guessing game to get an answer. He wanted to know how she had gotten her sight back and why she had traded her voice for it if only to sate his curiosity because he really was happy for her that she could see now.

When he asked if she had been looking for a hawk and her answer came it only brought on more confusion to the stallion. She nodded her head then shook it. "You're... not looking for a hawk?" He hated being confused and wished that he could tap into her pretty little mind and see what she was trying to tell him for himself so he could understand her. That desire for understanding was squashed when she began to cry and he brushed the tears away with his muzzle when she allowed him to. "Shh." He murmured to her as she pressed her face against his shoulder. Alleo stood still for a moment before he gingerly touched his muzzle to her shoulder. "Don't cry, Rasta." His voice remained gentle, but in no way was he trying to to be condescending, "Whatever's going on I'll help you." He didn't know if he would be able to, but he'd sure as hell try. He wasn't sure how she would react, but Alleo reached his neck over Rasta's and pulled her close and squeezed her to his chest in a manner that he felt would help to calm her and he didn't move until she'd finally been able to calm herself so their guessing game could continue.

Several minutes latter Alleo released his hold on Rasta and watched her as she, again, lipped at the hawk marking on her flank, but then she touched her muzzle to his chest where his heart was. An ear flicked back then forward and he continued to stare, a look of concentration on his face. He knew that whatever she was trying to tell him had something to do with the marking, obviously from the way she kept going back from it, and he remembered talking to her about it on the beach. He thought back to their conversation, his mind shifting through snippets of conversation before he finally remembered.

"I don't... recall ever having this marking. I might have gained it when I lost my original companion crossing over here..."

His face seemed to light up and he even grinned a little. "Companion." He said. "You said you got the marking when you crossed over and that you lost your companion. A hawk." His mismatched gaze focused on the marking. But what did 'losing' entail? Was it simply lost and waiting to be found? Or was it lost forever, killed in some horrible manner that left the mare looking so heartbroken? "Is it alive?" He dared to ask as he prepared himself for another flood of tears.

"."

Credits

He closes his eyes and lowers his head so that I can brush my maw over his eyes, to confirm that I had gained my sight. But, when he continued to stare at me I felt as though there was something wrong. Like I was being judged for my lack of voice, just as when I had been judged for the lack of sight. I'm stumbling backwards a few steps, closing my eyes and shaking my head, not even seeing him as he furrows his brow and pins his ears.

What did he say? Nothing. You said nothing. That look... I thought to myself. He didn't mean to upset her, I understand. I'm not something one would want to be around. I'm like the plague - only get near if its your job... He took a step forward only to stop, and when I opened my eyes I saw him looking as if he were in thought, as if he were hurt as well. No. I didn't mean. Dammit. I grumbled to myself, broken eyes peering up toward his mismatched ones as he seemed to try and work through what I was saying. Shaking and nodding my head. I wasn't looking for a hawk. No. I was chasing one. But there's no way to explain that. I nodded again.

I thought I would be able to continue on in the conversation. But, instead the tears came back. And he brushed them away with his muzzle, gently, carefully, as if if it were too strong I might break. He tried to shh me, as if it would calm, and instead I simply pressed my head up against his shoulder, unable to work through all the emotions that were spinning through my skull.

He seemed to freeze there, as I pressed up against him, but then he allowed his maw to rest against my shoulder. Still, he was careful, acting as if I were made of some kind of porcelain. Don't cry. Rasta. It trailed off of his deep voice gently, sweetly, like a form of comfort. And, then the one thing I hadn't expected. He said he would help, whatever it was that was going on. More tears filled my eyes, choking me up as I pressed my skull even harder into his shoulder, as if it would stem the falling tears. And, at that same moment, his neck wrapped around mine and pulled me in closer. My body was pulled up against his chest, and I allowed it to be moved. My chest heaving against his hold as I fought to make the tears stop, if only for him, if only so that he didn't have to feel awkward as I continued to cry for a reason that wasn't really known to anyone except I.

He didn't move, he allowed me to break down right there. A stag I'd only met once could actually show affection to someone he didn't truly know... He's one of the good ones. Like Taj... I connected the two in my mind, and suddenly the comfort was just enough to stop the crying.

It took me a few minutes, still, but it was much sooner than it would have been in the beginning. For, Taj would have wanted me to be strong - he would have wanted me to be happy, and maybe now was when I would start to find it again. After I was through with the grief, maybe I had gained someone I could be happy around.

I tried once more, face soaked from the tears, to explain the real meaning behind my hawk and what I had been doing. He was lost, obviously, and I didn't know how to explain it. I touched my maw to the marking again, and then to his chest. I held my maw there, feeling the beating of his heart, continuing to peer up at the confused stag. And then, suddenly, he seemed to light up. Companion. He repeated words I forgot I had even told him when we had met upon the beach. Instantly my head is nodding. Yes. Yes. Companion. That hawk. I thought to myself, stopping the head movement the second I saw his jaw move. Alive?

I shook my head. No. Dead. Don't know how... I thought to myself, closing my eyes and lowering my cranium as I forced myself to keep from crying. He didn't need tears falling every few minutes. He didn't need that. And so I would try and not cry that often.

An explanation, as to why I was mute. I had to find a way to explain this. I stamped my feet against the dirt, placed my maw on the earth below us, trying to say that it was the Earth God. And then, back up to the sky, where I had been told the Gods lived in my old lands. I repeated this a couple more times, and then waited.

Two stomps, just two. Chance. How do I portray chance? I wondered to myself, body freezing a little bit as I contemplated it all. It'll be my second companion... I bobbed my head before resting my maw against the hawk marking. Companion.

Would he understand? Or would it be in vain again? It was so hard, to find new ways to explain. But... at least I knew I had a shoulder to cry on, someone else who would be strong for me when I just didn't have the strength to...

ali
alleo</style>
Below my soul
I feel an engine
</style>

The answers to his questions came swiftly, yes she was referring to her companion and no it wasn't alive. She looked close to tears again but seemed to steel herself against them, which impressed him, but he wouldn't hold it against her if she needed to cry again. He hadn't ever had the misfortune of losing a companion, because he'd never had one, but he had talked to his sister in private about her companion. He could only imagine what it would feel like, losing something, someone that was your other half. He was naive in that aspect, grossly uneducated, but he had an imagination that he could use and if it was anything like he imagined he couldn't blame Rasta for the tears she had shed. "Do you know how?" He asked carefully, just in case it mattered later on in their game of charades.

Rasta stamped her hoof on the ground and immediately Alleo looked down. At first he expected to find something there that she had stomped, like a snake, but there was nothing but earth. His ears flicked forward and his gaze rose to hers. "Earth?" He asked, feeling that it was a stretch, then looked up as she looked to the sky. "Earth ... sky? Earth... tree.... Earth.... bird...." His voice trailed off as he told himself mentally to think. He continued to stare at the sky, that same look of concentration on his face because the sky was significant in whatever she was trying to tell him.

His eyes narrowed, head tilting slightly. Up there, through the treetops, he could see the very faint outline of the moon. A breeze swayed the branches and the moon was covered and a bit of the sun peeked through. Moon. Sun. Earth. Earth. Moon. Sun. Three different elements all ruled over by three different gods in this land. "Earth God!" He exclaimed as he looked at Rasta and grinned. "The Earth God."

She stomped twice more and touched the marking again. "Earth god. Two. Hawk." Alleo's brow furrowed again and as he tried to figure out again what she was trying to say he realized that he hadn't had to concentrate on something for so long and so completely since he'd left home. He was actually enjoying trying to figure out what Rasta was saying because he was learning how to read her body language. His still wet tail flicked as he continued to think back to what he and his sister had discussed about companions. She had quested for her bear... through the earth god.

Alleo's gaze settled on Rasta once more, his ears straining forward. "Are you trying to get another hawk?" He asked. "A ... a quest from the Earth God?"

Credits

I answered quickly, and tried to keep the tears from coming. I didn't want to bother him with more tears. It seemed useless, but it seemed as if the emotions just were too strong for what was left of my broken soul. He asked if I knew how, and I could only shake my head. No. No clue. I wish... then I could kill whatever it was that had done this... I thought to myself, shifting my weight a little bit.

More charades. More information. It was time to try and explain why I was mute. It was with the stomp that he looked down immediately, but he found nothing there. There wasn't a snake, there wasn't anything, just the earth. He flicked his ears forward and then looked back to my gaze. Earth? Instantly I nodded my head yes, before looking to the sky. Each additive to earth had me shaking my head. No. No. The Gods. Please... just understand... I need someone to understand. I was pleading to no one, but hoping that it would change something. I looked back towards him for a second, seeing his eyes narrow and his head tilt up slightly. Again, I pointed at the sky, at the outline of the moon. And suddenly, he seemed to have an epiphany. Earth God! I nickered once. Yes! Yes! That was it. That was it!

Onto the second portion. Two stomps and then my hawk. Second companion. Second chance. Earth God. Two. Hawk. Close. So close. Make it coherent... I thought to myself, watching as he stood there in concentration, trying to understand all that was going on. He flicked his tail back and forth as he thought and Rasta watched as the water dripped off of it.

It seemed that after a period of time he had managed to connect something. His gaze met mine, and his ears strained forward, as if he were intrigued by the idea that had fallen upon his cranium. Another hawk. Quest. I nodded my head instantly. Yes. Exactly! I thought, still nodding my head.

I flared my nostrils a little, feeling the pain in my chest again. Hearing the words said out loud hurt somehow. That twisted and torn part of my soul knowing that nothing could actually replace my hawk, my beautiful hawk. And there was a caw, as the hawk I had been chasing dropped down between the two of us, feathers mere inches from my face. I didn't flinch, I couldn't - I'd known that dive too well to flinch at it. But it was with that dive of the young hawk so amused with the equines surrounding it, that the tears began to fall from my eyes again.

It wouldn't be the same, but I needed something that would understand me unconditionally. I open my mouth to speak, to try and symbolize the muteness. But how to symbolize the seasons? TallSun. I was mute until TallSun. I snorted once, heading over towards the tall, and thick, tree that we had been standing beside. Wading into the pool I pressed my maw against it, before moving my gaze up the height of it. It's a tall tree. Maybe he'll get it. Please understand it... I thought to myself, and then I was looking back up a the sky, at the sliver of the sun still trying to shine down upon us. The Sky. The sun. Please connect the dots... please... I pleaded, repeating the motions a few times as the tears continued to well in my eyes.

I couldn't stop the burning feeling, and I couldn't squelch the pain in my heart. But I needed to continue to get the message across. I needed someone to know. I needed someone to be there for me while I tried to find a way to grieve a loss that really stole a part of myself...

I stopped, though. I forced myself to stop the motions and instead left the water that had soaked me up to bottom of my barrel, the pond deeper than I had expected. Cold. Not smart... I chastised myself and then slid up beside him, hoping he would accept me as I pressed my frame against his, trying to warm myself up - trying to warm him up as he was the one who was truly drenched. Night was falling, the weather would only get colder, and it was not smart to be drenched in this weather. It was the least I could do, when I was too weak to hold myself together. At least I could try and offer warmth to the one thing that was keeping me from the deep depths of a depression without even knowing he was doing it...

ali
alleo</style>
Below my soul
I feel an engine
</style>

Alleo's gaze jerked back upward at the cry of a bird of prey and as it came between them he did shy back a step or two. Those talons and that beak were made for ripping and tearing flesh and he wanted to actually keep the flesh on his face somewhat intact and his eyes within their sockets. Rasta, however, didn't shy away, but cried more instead. The steps that he had taken back disappeared as he stepped toward her once more, muzzle extending to touch her forehead. He remembered how often his sisters would cry when they were home. It was on a daily basis that he would murmur words of encouragement to them, brush away tears, and let them use him as something to wipe their eyes and noses on. If Rasta would allow him to extend the same form of comfort to her that he had to his sisters then he would over and over again until her tears had been staunched and her splintered soul was pieced back together.

It was time for their game of charades to continue, he stallion guessed, when Rasta turned and walked to the pool that she had shoved him into several minutes earlier. She opened her mout to speak, he assumed, and no words came out. It was easy to figure out that she was trying to tell him about her voice, but what about it? When she turned and walked to the pool of water Alleo's first assumption was that she was thirsty, but she didn't drink any of the water, but headed to the tree that he had been thinking only several minutes ago was remarkably tall.

Her muzzle traveled up the length of the tree that she could reach and Alleo tilted an ear back. "Tree?" He paused as she looked to the sky and he frownd. "Sky." Tree sky made absolutely no sense to the stallion, so he knew that he had not correctly guessed what she was saying, he didn't need the shake of her head to know that much.

"Tree...." His gaze traveled up the length of the tree and for several minutes he was quiet before he spoke again. "Tall tree... tall sky." No, no, no. The sun peeked through the tree branches overhead and Alleo's ears flicked forward once more. "Tallsun?" He asked hesitantly. "Voice. No voice until Tallsun?" He thought it was a bit of a stretch, but he'd thought some of his other guesses had been a stretch and they'd been right.

He watched her as she left the pool of water and came to stand beside him, wondering if she thought the water was as cold as he had. That made him sidestep closer to Rasta, his larger frame brushing against hers as he began to look around once more. "Its getting late." He frowned because he knew that they wouldn't make it out of the forest before nightfall and he didn't know how much the temperature would drop and they were both wet and cold. "We should find a place to rest for the nigt then I'll take you back to the Throat in the morning." He offered, but if she didn't want to go back to the Throat he wouldn't make her.

Credits

"You shouldn't stay with him! He's bad news!" screeched my hawk as he came down for a nose dive. "Scathashoun doesn't care that you're pregnant! He'd kill the baby if it ever came! Why do you think he's still pounding you in the stomach?!" I didn't flinch, I didn't cower. I didn't move. The talons scratched against the flesh of my face, wings smashing into my poll as if to knock some sense into me. It was true, I could suppose, that Scathashoun didn't care about the fact that I was with child, but I was, and it deserved a father. It was the same old situation. Abusive relationship, telling myself he loved me. Not accepting the fact that the stag of massive height only had a lust for my frame, and to use me as his toy. I hadn't been able to accept that I was worth more than that. No one had ever given me a chance to be more than that. And so I screamed back, my jaw trying to clamp onto my hawk's wings to get back at him for smashing me in the face and making my forehead sting. "He loves me! He has too!"

And I was crying. The hawk didn't stop swirling around my face, taking every chance it was given to smack me, to try and get me to realize what was going on. "For living thousands of years, you are so dumb. You know that Rasta. Do I have to be your conscience the entire time?!" He hissed, hovering over my face as I felt the world around me. I was trying to feel the vibrations. I was trying to feel Scathashoun's return. But, before he could my body was seizing. So much pain, and with a nearly broken back I couldn't stand it. I couldn't keep my frame upright as the contractions that were coming far too early for a live child came in waves. I screamed, pain filling my chords as I pleaded with the heavens. Not my baby! Please. Not the baby!

And Scathashoun came. He attempted to comfort me. His maw resting on the fractured portion of my spine - the portion that was to be healed later by someone who cared, but I couldn't accept did - and with each contraction he would pull on my flesh, agitating my spine even more than what the contractions were doing. I was sobbing. I was begging for the pain to stop, and my hawk was trying to attack Scathashoun's face, but each time he came close the stag would pin his ears, as if he were going to murder him.

When the pain finally stopped, the mangled form of a foal, not fully grown, was laying bloody on the ground behind me. I was staggering to my feet, needing to rest against the tree, and unable to look at the fifth miscarriage I had lived through in my years - the product of what had been, at the least, my twelfth rape. I couldn't see the tiny form. I couldn't bare to look at what had been a piece of hope for my mind. I was trying to feel the vibrations of everything around me except the dead, not grown foal at my feet. But all I felt, instead, was the crushing of bone as he stomped all over what would have been his child. "I told you he would do it" the hawk told me and I turned my head toward the built stallion. "STOP! That's your child, Scathashoun! That could have been your son!" But he doesn't listen, and he continues to stamp on the child until it is only blood and shattered bones, too weak and unformed to last through it. I'm crying. Crying and sobbing, my back screaming in pain with each heave of my chest. And Scathashoun leaves. He gallops away. He doesn't say goodbye.

I slide down the tree, keeping my back pressed up against the bark to try and support it against the pain, and my hawk curls up on my withers. He's trying to comfort me, but nothing can. I am radiating pain and grief. I am alone. But my hawk understands...

I hadn't realized it, but I truly was crying in real life. I was so enveloped in the memory of my hawk chastising me, trying to get me to understand that the life I had been living wasn't a good one - that I deserved better. It wasn't until I felt his muzzle against my forehead, moving the tears away from my face as they fell that I slowly came back into reality. Explanation. He needs an explanation as to why I'm mute. I decided then and there that even through the tears I would give him that much. And so, with a gentle brush of my maw against his cheek I headed back over toward the tree, to try and explain why, and how long, I was mute.

It took him a while, and I repeated the motion multiple times. But, slowly he began to piece it together. My legs trembling as the cold water seemed to ripple around my limbs. He says Tallsun and I'm instantly nodding my head through the tears. And, hesitantly, he connected the two pieces together. No voice until Tallsun. I nodded my head, wading my way out of the water and instantly shivering as the air seems to get colder and colder. Carefully, I pull up beside him knowing that he has to be as cold as I and wanting to offer him some semblance of warmth as the sun falls away. He sidesteps in closer to me, pressing his side up against mine before he starts to look around, stating that it was getting late. A frown falls upon his face as well. And, he then says we should find a place to rest before he took me back to the Throat. I shook my head. No. No Throat. Too much of an outsider. No one understands. I thought to myself, before realizing I would have to clarify this no that I was giving him. Pressing my maw against his throat, and letting out a few warm puffs of air I shook my head again. I repeated the process one more time before giving a few seconds pause to try and signify that I was changing clues. Another shake of my head, and then one stamp of my hoof. I'm reaching for his cranium, trying to signify understands, and then I'm pressing my maw back against his Throat. No one understands me at the Throat... I'm too different... I think to myself, the tears flooding my eyes again.

Again, I'm burying my face in the crook behind his shoulder, allowing the tears to rack my frame until I can bring myself to stop. It takes a few minutes, but I'm able to slowly collect myself. The heaving of my chest has stopped, though the shivering has not. So, as I pull my face away I close my eyes and give a light swish of my tail. A vibration ripples out around me, and I can clearly see the forest layout now. A grove of trees, to the North, and not too far. I memorize the distance in my mind before opening my eyes and giving a tug on his mane. One toss of my maw to the North and I start to trot off in that direction, hoping that he'll follow. Safety, for the night. But I can't say that. Don't know how... A snort, a glance back to ensure he's following me, and I can feel bark scrape against my shoulder. My audits pin backwards in pain, as I glance down to my right side, noticing the light speckling of blood against my pale pelt. Perhaps I should keep my attention on the world around me... until I get used to feeling vibrations and seeing at the same time...

One wince, and I'm off again, letting out a small whinny to be sure he knows where I am. After all, I have no urge to run into an other tree simply because I wasn't looking that direction. And, a few minutes later I have run across the grove of trees. I stop, waiting for him for a second before sliding between two trees and looking in. It was a circle, maybe twenty feet across. But, the trees would make it slightly difficult to get into, and most would probably walk past it without a second thought. So I wiggled the rest of the way in before collapsing in a ball at the center of this grove. My body shivering as I tried to find a way to keep as much body heat as possible. It was difficult, though, when my pelt was so thin from living in the Throat during these past seasons.

Alleo will need warmth too... I thought, before snorting and pressing my maw to the ground in front of me, my eyes peering up at him as if I was asking for him to join me. We need to stay warm tonight. No one is going to die...

ali
alleo</style>
Below my soul
I feel an engine
</style>

Her gaze looked far away, distant, and Alleo recognized the look only because he'd seen it on his sister's faces when they were reliving their horrible pasts. Alleo stepped close again, his nose nudging gently against Rasta's neck as he tried to break her from whatever memory was tormenting her and making her cry again. "Rasta..." Her murmured her name, ears flicking back against her head when he was answered with more tears. He lipped at her mane and tugged at it the way she had when she'd wanted his attention and let go when she finally sapped out of it and stepped into the water to continue the chore of communicating her ails with him.

With the knowledge that she wouldn't have her voice until Tallsun and the decision made that he would bring her back to the Throat he had thought that their game of charades would end, but he was proven wrong when she began shaking her head. He gave her an odd look, his ears tilting forward again as she pushed her muzzle against his throat and shook her head. "No Throat?" That one was easy enough to guess and he almost asked why, but when he thought about it he felt it might be too difficult an explanation for a guessing game. "Okay... Do you want to go to the Foothills?" As if she would really have any choice on the matter, but Alleo would allow her to feel that she did.

She closed her eyes and Alleo sighed quietly and resumed scanning the forest around them, wondering where he could take her in a forest he was largely unfamiliar with to keep her safe and warm for the night, as he was beginning to grow concerned with the way she shivered and trembled against his side. A tug on his mane brought the stallion's attention back to the mare, his interest showing on his face as she attempted to lead him through the forest. He followed, almost like an obedient puppy, watching her ahead of him and frowning as she scraped against trees. The pace of his steps increased until he was nearly at her side so he could reach out and push branches that would potentially catch her hair or scrape her delicate hide again and hurt her more. He told himself that it was because if she bled she would be easier to scent and not because he cared if she was hurt.

Before them a small grove opened up and Alleo gradually slowed until he was standing still. The warrior's nature within his heart kicked in immediately and he began to pace the treeline of the grove, nostrils flared to scent any potential threat and ears rotating to catch any sound that was remotely suspicious. Only when he was satisfied that they were completely safe did his attention return fully to Rasta. She was already laying in the grass, shivering and looking absolutely miserable. He stepped toward her as she touched the ground with her maw, an obvious sign that she wanted him to lay down with her, but before he did so he circled the grove again for one last measure.

The stallion came to stand next to Rasta and he lowered his muscled frame to the forest floor, his neck stretching out and his head hooking over Rasta's side so he could gently pull her closer to his body so he could provide at least a little warmth to keep her comfortable through the night. "Rest." He murmured to her as he lifted his head and looked around again. Chances were that he would not catch one wink of sleep during the night. Instead he would stay awake and vigilant so he could keep the fragile mare safe.

ooc:// thread is finished after rasta's next post

Credits

I felt something touching my face. Something nudging at my neck as the images flashed through my skull, the pain and horror taking over my body. I could even hear my name, but the images were too strong in their hold and I was unable to break free. I was so lost in those images I didn't even pay too much heed to the tugging of my mane. But, when I was finally able to start to rip myself free from them all I saw was Alleo there, waiting patiently for me.

Somehow I managed to explain how I was mute until Tallsun, and I was back at his side. Of course, I was trembling a little bit from the cold air as it clung to my wet coat. At the mention of going back to the Throat I shook my head before pressing my maw to his throat. He asked, saying the words out loud and I bobbed my head. Yes. I don't want to go to the Throat. He said okay, and after a small pause asked if I wanted to go the Foothills. I shrugged, eyes flickering a little bit before I tossed my head at him. With you, sure... You understand... I stepped my way closer to him, lipping at his side in an attempt to try and phrase the idea of "with you, only" without the use of words to aid.

With the struggle still radiating in my brain I tried to find somewhere to stay for the night. After all, I was the one who was accustomed to reaching out to the lands around me in order to get to safety plenty of times before. When I found it, I tried to gain his attention, stumbling forward. Trees scraping up against my shoulder as I fought with my depth perception. But, it seemed only one scrape was required for him to be right behind her, reaching out above her in order to push the branches away that were clawing for my sides like hungry beasts. If words would have left my maw, a thank you would have been provided, but alas, that would not happen yet. In Tallsun, though, if he really was still helping me, he would get far more than a thanks considering how he seemed to be my lifeline at the moment.

Upon entering the grove it seemed that the giant would not be content until he had searched every single nook and cranny of the place. I had felt no danger, and it hadn't changed yet, so I went to the center and laid down, my body shivering uncontrollably with no light left in the sky to keep me warm and the cold air grasping at my pelt. He moved toward me as I touched my maw to the ground, looking up at him pointedly, trying to get the stag to join me. But, before he joined he was circling again, one last time.

When he finally came to lay down beside me, he lowered his muscled frame behind mine and then stretched his neck out so that it hooked over my side. With a small yank he had me pressed up against his side, the warmth of our too bodies working hard to try and keep the other just as warm. He said to rest, and so I carefully placed my cranium against his forelegs, allowing my eyes to shut. Scars of the back injury pressed against his side and the shivering slowing down for the moment. Soon my breathing evened out and I was in a deep sleep beside the one thing that I was actually trusting to keep me safe, to understand me when it seemed that I was going to have to be alone.