the Rift

Reappearance

Pheonix Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Frigid wind picked up, blowing the orange palomino closer and closer to the threshold. Phoenix had disappeared for the longest time from his home, the Dragon's Throat. Wary, the lost stallion was almost afraid that he would not be welcomed back into the home. Would they think of him as a cowardly traitor that ran away for no reason? Gritting his teeth with audible force, emerald orbs glazed with intense worry as he sunk lower to the ground, seeing the massive forest. Opening wide wings, his descent was regal and curt, landing on the ground quickly.

Nervousness was prickling off of his orange pelt as he galloped through the trees, knowing that a horse would pick up his foreign scent. The cloudy sky was beginning its plunge into darkness, forcing the shaky stallion to a halt. Lifting up his cranium to the sky, a beckoning whinny bellowed, resonating out of his broad chest. Ears flicking back and forth with anticipation, and his long ivory tail swishing, the stallion stood eerily still, watchfully gazing at the growing shadows of the trees.

Minutes were passing by, when no one was to be heard anywhere. The only response to his desperate call was the whisper of the leaves blowing in the harsh gale. It was becoming colder, and the sky was now almost completely ebony. Phoenix wasn't apprehensive of being stranded in the onyx woods...he was frightened that no one would want him back. What use had he been to the Throat anyway? He was just a normal piece in the herd, his only use for recruiting. It was different now. Phoenix would go and become a warrior, like what he once was long ago. Pawing the ground ever so slightly, the stallion let out a softer nicker and pausing.

Godiva Posts: N/A
Unregistered

She coasted blithely, enjoying the mixture of cool autumnal winds as they caressed the tender places of head, throat, and breast. Wings beat with a purpose set aside from leisure however, she flew to complete a duty – rosy eyes were sharp and ears attentive to what went on in the places of drowsy shadow and murky light below. The warm glow of daylight upon this realm wilted with the onset of dusk, only the horizon above the treetops remained ignited, and Godiva felt that her time here was being drawn to a close, for the advantage of her eagle’s eye was lost and restrained by the darkness.

Startlingly flexid wings stretched wide, she slowing and poised to pirouette and return to warmer desert winds from which she had arisen – a cry though, was reason for pause. Weather pain or bliss, anger or fear, or even the simple meshing of birdcall and breeze, the lady did not know. Her fine face, those features never bred to exhibit hardness or any furrows reminiscent of the ugly world, darkened with suspicion – lids drawn low into slivers of heated carmine, soft dark lips tightening; flying into the unknown was an undesirable requirement. The angle of her flight swerved to align with the area of treetop still echoing with the sound, and as it came again, she became more certain, more confident in it’s nature. A calm, drawn whinny was projected from her own being, the sounds quieted as she found a place to land, circling, then descending unto the deeper shadows of earthly dominion swallowed in twilight.

The shudder of impact still traveled from leg to trunk as she trotted forward, a buoyant and effortlessly light trot carrying her forward, neck gently craning toward him with the glad inquiry that flowed warm and soft from her lips. “Pheonix? Blētsian se sunne.” She brushed her muzzle against his shoulder in a show of platonic camaraderie, but when her head rocked back to return to it’s high held poise, a troubled look had settled upon her face, deepening the shadowed contours. “Tis best that we make haste, for I know not what lurks here, in the place of setting sun. Witching hour nears, and there is word of fell deeds in the Southeast, the realms in which the Sun should rise and illume.” They stood upon the western soil, where the sun set and darkness blossomed. She held no trust for this place, and never would.

Unregistered
Helovia was swallowed in darkness at this point, stars shining bleakly through the heavy clouds. A whinny sounded from afar, suspiciously familiar. It possessed the same feminine tone from a mare, calm and recognizable. A jovial grin spread onto his lips, perceiving the footfalls of the femme. Lithely trotting forwards, effortlessly yet ethereally graceful, towards the still stallion, Phoenix suppressed a felicitous cry as he bounded to landing mare. Recognizing glistening rose orbs, and her velvety smile, he uttered one word. "Godiva!" Exclaiming, Phoenix craned his neck to offer a friendly embrace.

Warmth spread on his shoulder with her companionable muzzle nudging his back. Chilled air quickly met it once more as poised her cranium to face him gravely. Shadows marked groves and contour lines of her elegant face as emerald orbs met her own. The reuniting of a friend was a joyful thing, but the grim time of night briskly separated a loving reunion. "Yes, I agree", complying with soft tones, he paused, fixated on the frigid earth. "Do you think of me as a coward? I left with no warning, and yet I am back. Would I be accepted again?" Mere questions, he didn't want to hold them back from getting out of the eerie woods. But he wanted a simple answer before they could get going.

//265 words: One day, I hope to write as well as you ^.^ Also, I apologize for not making a thread in the Throat, but Phoenix was deleted, so I had to remake him. :3

Godiva Posts: N/A
Unregistered

The stallion’s merry return of her greeting was cause for some tension to fade; it always seemed easier to be at ease in the company of a fellow, though despite the abatement of worry, her attention had not waned in the presence of additional security. Night spread too swiftly for her liking, swallowing all in an artful pitch that dulled her superior vision, and painted every scene that her eye swept across in an uncanny likeness…every dimly outlined tree the same, each rock without definition, the underbrush a solid curtain of shadow.

With little fanfare, aside from a gentle toss of her head to resettle heavy locks, Godiva began to turn; dimples of bunched muscle already were upon the porcelain and lilac uniform of her speckled rump – haunches coiling and prepared to fly away, free from this place of unfamiliarity. Distrustful of the Threshold, hooded lids that had before projected a sharp gaze blanked momentarily in honest surprise, his question one that had not been expected.

The contemplative lady gave pause for a moment, before the darkness of her velvet chin dipped in approval, lips hidden briefly by the depth of shadow pooled within her neck’s dramatic curve. A hoof caused her stance to sway, head curving to peer back at him. She thought often of honor and duty, and the other equine’s awareness was cause enough for a plaintive answer. "A coward? Nay, but my word is not yet one that holds weight in the Dragon's Throat."

Some quiet amusement lie hidden in the rolling melody of soft words, though subtle in deliverance, 'yet' was a revelation of intention far more blatant than her norm. The steady flow of her voice continued. "That answer can only be provided to you upon your return, if you truly wish to know. But take heart, thine actions would be cowardice if you denied your fellows the opportunity to respond. Now you give them a chance to show mercy, an effort that may not go unnoticed." Her words, though spoken in their perpetual manner of quiet and calm, were not gentle. Godiva had been born into the role of protectorate, not judge, and therefore she did not condemn, but she was no creature of leniency.

((thank you c: Sorry for the wait, and hopefully this one isn't too terrible, but I haven't been feeling well and didn't want to hold things up~))

Unregistered
Muscles bunched and wings ready to bound away into the sky, Phoenix felt a nagging pinch of embarrassment. How idle he was to not see that Godiva wished to flee this dreary place. But kindred words were uttered out of velvet lips as she turned to face Phoenix's ashamed expression. "I'm sorry", words ushered whispered, out of his mouth. Averting emerald eyes to the ground, his face burned with heat of what seemed like humiliation. He only held the hope to his heart that Godiva, or any other Throat horse would think of him as some runaway.

"Know that I didn't leave out of cowardice. I left because I had no choice", he wasn't some wuss, ditching the place he loved? No, he would never do it if he had a choice. In the end, he would let go of the anxiousness that turned him into someone that would hide their face. He would not turn his back on those he wished to defend, to live with as a family. "I will not runaway again, I will not turn my back on brethren that have so willingly accepted me before", swallowing with nerves, he opened wings that ached to be work in the sky.

"Let us go back", back home. White feathers stared at the gaping hole of darkness that the forest offered, as he broke into a short gallop, knowing that Godiva would be soon behind him to lead him back to the place he once led her to. The irony struck him as funny as a over delighted, yet anxious grin played upon his maw. There was always a chance of forgiveness.

//you can reply to this post if you want, but I'm going to request a rank change to get Pho posting in the Throat. ^^