the Rift

Cold burns too [Kri, any]

Olema Surema Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Kri first than any can post as well!]

Red dirt has left unsightly smudges against my side. The grit buries in between my hairs and nips at my skin every time I move. In a way, it's an enjoyable sensation, rubbing off dead hair and skin like a comb of fine teeth. Yet in many more ways it's entirely unpleasant, if just because I want to complain and rage.

My nightingale has certainly been doing enough of both.

She's standing still beside me now - although she hasn't laid down like I did earlier, the dust has still settled against her body and shaded her a darker hue than normal. She's staring intently on the horizon line, but I'm not sure what travels through her mind, which is unusual, though not surprising. This is a new situation for us, being prisoners.

"I wonder why they took us," I murmur, hoping to elicit some response from the statue beside me.
It does the trick.

"It's the wings," Surema says tightly, her jawline clenching. A flicker of a smile settles on my lips. I may not know her thoughts, but I certainly understand how she thinks.
Blue eyes catch the smile and they turn steadily towards me. My features fall at once and ears set back in worry. She rarely turns such a cold stare upon me. I think I might shiver in fact.
"I'm so glad this is funny to you Olema." Oh my, she's used my actual name, she is rather angry. I sigh gently in a way that it whistles long and low between my teeth.

"I do not mean to offend sister, but smiles usually help better than frowns." It does me no well to try and lecture her now. I know she's not so angry as she is scared. She doesn't really know why they took us, and she definitely doesn't know what they have planned for us. She's scared for us, for me especially. How can we fight them, a whole herd, if it comes to that?

As expected her frown deepens. This is shortly accompanied by a dismissive snort and her gaze turns away to burn holes into the distance once more. She doesn't want to be angry with me, so she'll ignore me instead.
I won't be having any of that though.

Gingerly I gather my feet and hoist myself upright. A pale ear flicks in my direction and I can see Surema's lips quiver as though she holds back words. I pause for a moment, willing her to say them, but she only reshuffles her wings nervously. So brave, my nightengale, so strong, yet so frail and frightened at times.

"I will hold you until the end," I whisper softly against her ear, still turned towards me, as I slide up against her left side, pushing under her wing. She glances back at me a moment and I am startled by the hurt in her brief gaze. My chest seizes and my stomach twirls. Oh my Nightengale, you should not busy yourself with such dark thoughts... I'm afraid she'll turn herself old before her time, and that just won't do. I can't be seen galavanting around with an old mare when I'm so young and spry!
"We will see this through, together, as we always do." My lips peel against my teeth, shiny with a layer of dry-mouthed spit, which I use to pull the red dirt from her coat. Firm with my touch, yet soft as morning mist, I groom the pale withers of Surema. She groans in her throat, a noise of content, though it's still tinged with a sorrow that I hope to work out with the dust.

I keep moving my teeth, and gradually, eventually, Surema melts into my touch. For a moment, just a moment, I'm the one leading her, the one standing strong while she huddles in my shadow. I take her wing under mine and I hold her against me and I tell her again, that it will be alright.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>
    My friends, I am only flesh and bone, but I won't let you die alone.</style>

"We have a lake, if you'd rather use that to wash up," my voice calls over, even as I land softly on the red dirt of my home. I proffer a smile, probably something that would seem strange, considering that these two have come to be prisoners of the Throat. However, I already knew that they were in no danger, though the worry written across one of the identical twins' faces told me that they had no idea they were save. I approach slowly, staying my distance as to not make the pair nervous.

I stand lazily, with one hoof cocked almost as soon as I come to a stop, my face calm and my eyes an open book for them. I had no need to be guarded in their company, I think. "I'm sorry to have brought you to the Throat under such circumstances," I begin, my voice strong yet quiet, the heat of the day wearing down on me as much as it likely was on them. "However, I didn't think you'd care to hear my offer otherwise." I wanted to instill in them a sense of security, to let them know that they were safe with me, yet still allow them to feel free.

They were not caged here, after all.

"I am Kri," I introduce myself, for I am not sure that they properly know who I am, even if they know who the herd leader is here. "I have a proposition for the two of you," I say, my voice calm and open, much like my eyes. "It is quite obvious you wish not to live amongst a herd, and I respect that. However, I could use an extra set of eyes. There may come a time when I am in need of information, and I would like to be allowed to call upon the two of you to help me get it." I smile, giving a short nod, before continuing to speak. "In return, you may also call upon me for my aid."
""

Unregistered

[Um. I'm sorry they don't shut up =/ there's an HR break about 3/4 down and the post below that is the only really important thing to read, the rest is just back writing from Surema's perspective.]

Anger.

It is the only thing that I can comprehend at this moment. It fills me up in a solid, heavy way, like I'd imagine drowning would feel with the water in my lungs. It rolls through me in something akin to waves of wind that I actually feel across my back. The only sign it's not, is the stillness of my wing feathers, the limp hang of my tail. My eyes have become so focused they now blur and speckle my sight with dark edges and bright splashes. I want to blink, but I'm afraid if I do that, such a minuscule movement of pale eyelashes sinking down and rising up, that the rage will dissipate. I don't want to lose it, this ball of fury roiling inside me. I want to keep it, and take it, and throw it at the first horse that approaches me.

Yes, I'm angry.

A voice speaks then. A delicate, innocent, kind voice that comes from the sweet water of my sibling's mouth - how I could drink her voice every day. It threatens the hold on my wrath and I seek to resist her at once, my temper and thusly my tones, rising with the inner struggle to maintain my ill-composure.
"It's the wings," I manage through gritted teeth, as if I can imagine keeping them champed down will stop the feeling from whistling past my gums. I can only hope it's answer enough to keep her quiet.

Naturally, she finds a different way to instigate me.

I cannot help myself. I am drawn to her and how my body aches to yield to her in this time of need, this moment of uncertainty and mindless frustration. I have to snag a glance, the tiniest of peeks at her, and then I know I'll be strong enough to keep setting the distance on fire. So I shift my blue gaze minutely, and from the very edges of my vision I see the most unsightly thing upon her face. A smile. A fucking smile.

Part of my composure shatters and it makes me all the more un-withheld towards her. "I'm so glad this is funny to you Olema." My voice is ice. I wish to snap, to turn and drive my teeth against her damn smiling face until blood has hidden it from me. By all rights I should be shouting at her, my feet should be driving holes into her knees so that she learns to bow her head in shame, but I don't. I take all of that in, I keep it burning inside my heart and all that's left is the cold glaze that the absence of such heat leaves behind. Olema can have the table scraps of my temper.

Of course, this accomplishes nothing. Not with Olema.

She takes on a teacher's tone. I'm astounded by her persistence and uninterested in her lesson. I should have known better than to engage her, she definitely won that game. I snort, finished playing with her, I need to focus back on feeling spite at this herd. I turn away, hoping that absence of her sight will help me persevere.

Though I can no longer see her, I hear her hooves scuff the dirt as she fidgets. No, she's not fidgeting I'm sure, she's getting up and she'll be moving closer. I can feel my grip slipping and I have a fitting urge to unleash the remnants of my anger upon her and all her foolishness in this time! Can't she see that we must survive this, that we must escape, that we must... we must. I quiver, my wings rustling with all the anxiety spiraling through me, chasing away the tide of rage. I've let her down again. I promised to protect her yet here we are, prisoners.

She steps forward, her voice so low it's nearly a breath sliding into the wind like all the rest. It's such a piercing thing she says. In that single phrase she tells me of the trust she puts too freely in me, of a sureness she naively keeps that we'll be fine, of an immortal connection that binds us and sets us above all these stupid ordeals. She loves me in that moment and I burn up and disperse like ash in the sincerity of it. She says all the right and all the wrong things and it ruins my composure. I turn to her, eyes searching among her blue, frantic to be held, to be saved, like she promises.

She continues to soothe my aches with voice and touch. How nice is her touch... I moan in pleasure at it, my nerves tickling in the places her teeth pass. It's a sad enjoyment though, as I imagine the loss of this, the end of this. What if we aren't able to get through it? What if, worse of all, she is taken from me? My mind spins but her teeth do not stop and eventually they overtake me and I lean willingly against her, breath hitching at the tickle of her wing as it laces around mine. Olema...

A feminine voice cuts the tepid air. It is not the gentle curl of my angel's voice. It is foreign, authoritative and harsh in its age and use, even if the words themselves intend comfort and kindness. I exhale so sharply in surprise and immediate distaste it comes out as a hiss between my clenched teeth. Immediately I jerk away from Olema, her own body flinching as we break contact - reluctant. I shoulder myself in front of my sibling, small wings flaring high with the force of the passion racing in my blood. She has imposed and I hate her more for taking that moment of peace from me than bringing us here originally.

"We'll manage fine," I retort hotly, letting her know instantly that we will not eat her hospitality bullshit.

The mare doesn't seem to bother much. Her body easily maneuvers through the dirt. Her stance suggests an informal ease with a turbulent situation. Although truthfully, I know she has little to fear from children, even if we ride the cusp of adulthood, we do not pale in comparison to even the frailest of warriors. It only sets me on edge further, recognizing all the multitude of weaknesses so obviously apparent about us.

She begins to speak, her stature at least suggesting no hostility, though my own remains rigid and ready. I'm confused by her tactics however. Her kindness is not the treatment I expected and it makes me wary. What game is she playing. Olema and I play many, but these rules are beyond our childish restrictions where chase and sex and laughter suit us fine.

I'm too busy thinking, trying to figure out, to listen to what she tells me so plainly. Olema however, is not so burdened by dismal thoughts, and steps forward to stand at equal with me. She feels no threat from Kri and clips her teeth in my direction for such assertion. I'm wounded, my ears falling as my chest swells with desperation. I do not know what to do!

Olema does.

"We accept your apology, as your assumption was true enough. Yet here we are, and now we'll listen. Olema talks with an ease that leaves me in awe. She has always been much better at handling others. I sink beside her, enraptured by the grace of my better half.
She and I listen. She nods at times and I make faces at others, disapproving of any alignment or contract. I let her keep the conversation however, sulking beside her like a chastised pup.

"Well met, Kri." Olema nods deeply here and after a few heartbeats I do the same, begrudgingly. "We are Olema and Surema, as you likely know." A dangerous smile flirts on Olema's lips at this statement, half amused by the situation of introduction but also letting it be know that it is irregular and frankly, annoying. I enjoy my sister's intentional stranding of giving names to the faces, not that Kri would likely remember. That is just another one of our games - I am myself now, but we can act wholly as one when we set ourselves to the task. We can do more than that in recent days... "I'm sure there are plenty of eyes with wings tacked on, Kri. What interest do you have in us specifically? What do you know of us?" Genuinely curious Olema asks the questions patiently. I think she is wary however. Our run in with the black colt was a huge blunder, even if it was out first experience with the new and powerful magic. We had practiced since, and were planning on doing more, until this. We have some weaknesses still, which I intend to fix, soon as I can figure out a way to better control and channel the magics.

A sweet smile splits Olema's face now as she prepares her last query. The sugar-coating is too thick, it's covering up the bitterness sinking just below. I grin. "What aid could you provide us Kri? Respectably, we'd be more or less safe not getting involved in you and yours affairs, giving us little cause for your aid otherwise. Is there something specific you can provide?"

My angel had her devil's side. I snarl and stomp and she smiles until the stars blink out.
"...smiles usually help better than frowns." Her words haunt me all too deeply now. It makes me frown slightly.

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>

They seem so angelic, these fillies with coats of white. However, there is a much darker glint to their eyes than their initial appearance would let on. My resolve has not changed, though, for I was determined to have their little wolves in sheep's clothing help keep a watchful eye on my neighbors. I did not think that it would be an easy feat, but I was never one to shy away from a challenge.

My own personal glint of fire takes light in my dark, deep eyes. Let the games begin.

I note with a tad bit of amusement that the one who introduces herself as Olema is the leader of the duo, though the more aggressive Surema would perhaps fool others into believing her in charge. I feel the protective love that the white filly holds for her sister, but it does not override the cunning superiority of the other, with a cool yet respectful expression on her face. Whether she actually respected me or not was uncertain, but I highly doubted it. These girls, living on their own for so long, were obviously not to be easily impressed upon.

My face becomes thoughtful with Olema's question, and I peer at their wings with slight amusement. Wings. It was true that I felt more comfortable with my winged kin, but their wings had not brought the twins to my attention. That honor belonged to a pegasus much closer to my own heart - Onni. "My daughter, Onni, spoke of you," I say, with a blunt, masculine voice. "She was quite worried you had not managed to escape from Isilme. That is just her way." I smile slightly to myself, speaking so familiarly of the girl who was not here, now, to see her former herdmates are prisoners of our own. She would be happy to see their faces, but would ultimately disapprove of my methods. Onni would never say it out loud, but she often disapproved of my methods.

"To have made it out alone is quite a feat," I continue my explanation to them, dead eyes and cold hearts, wrapped in delicate sheets of white. "That is what piqued my interest in asking you: cunning and capable, if not at least lucky."

The question posed to me is one that is fair, I suppose. Yet, this girl, so smart, is also foolish. Living the life of an outcast is difficult, and that I knew better than these half grown babes. There would come a day when the wear of the world would tug on their shoulders, or bad luck strike them, and without the support of a herd or a home they would fall. Still, this would likely not persuade them still. "I have nothing but a home and a heart to offer you, but I am able bodied and strong minded."

"To be my friend is to be protected."
""

Unregistered

I am unprepared for the response that Kri delivers. Both of us startle a bit, our heads rising, our eyes clearing and our ears lifting, now truly intrigued. "Onni," we both repeat in unison, blue eyes glancing briefly at each other before settling back on Kri. We did not know the painted girl very well, and we were rather young back then, but she had been a very kind herd mate. Not that kindness does much to win anyone favor in our eyes, but with her it is hard to dislike her, to play any mean games on her. That and we'd truly thought everyone in our past had died or just, gone. To know she still lives and here of all places, brings a soft smile to both our lips. There is a certain connection we cannot escape from when someone so genuinely true is linked to our past.

Kri has gained validation. We both feel it. Surema lets me know with a shift of her wings, and my ribs bow kindly in her direction in response. Her anger has dissipated and in its wake her mind is a placid lake of cool ice. She is more herself and I am grateful for it. Welcomingly I lean against her, letting some of the burden of this interaction weigh on her as well. I don't have to be singularly strong any more, we're in this together again, as one. My nightingale...

Kri is flattering, and we nod in turn, but we don't accept it for more than it is. We don't need her telling us we're strong and capable, we already know that much. I can still sense Surema is reluctant to sign any sort of deal, but I appreciate see the value of what Kri offers us, and I know Surema does as well. She struggles constantly with the need to protect me. If either of us are ever heavily wounded, we would have no healer, no shelter, no safety. With neither of us being warriors, we would likely pass away like ghosts, lost in the outside world and missed by none. True enough we will be more likely to get injured by working beneath Kri, but I like the idea of having her affairs under our eyes, and her resources at our disposal.

I bump my nose against Surema. We exchange warm breath, whisker tickles and velvet strokes before both our eyes jump back up to Kri. Together, we speak, "We accept." Surema takes control now, eyeing the leader calmly. She will enjoy this game once we get started, of that I have no doubt. "How shall we retain this relationship in a discreet manner? What specifics are you interested in learning?"

[We can wrap this up here if you want and just handle the rest OOCly primarily. I was thinking perhaps if they ever do meet it wouldn't be in the herd, or maybe just herd borders in cover of darkness or something, or disguised as a herdmember :D and figuring maybe via pm if you had any specific targets or ideas for this? Otherwise I'll just have start to better their magic and begin gleaning info from the herds.]

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

KRI the Resolute</style>

The slight shift in body language signals that I have won this round for their approval. My face remains impassive, but the small success tilts a light to switch on in the deep recesses of my dark blue eyes, gleaming with a renewed fire. I was happy that my attempts to capture them had not been in vain, and that I was able to make a strong ally. While others would view them as mere children, I knew that these fillies were quite capable of handling tasks that many would never attempt to take on. That they recognize my daughter’s name makes me grateful. Often, if one is too young, they will not so easily recall figures from their past.

Apparently my soft-spoken daughter had left an impression upon them, and a good one at that.

Excellent,” I say automatically in response to their acceptance, a smile following in short order after the word escapes my mouth. I am truly happy to be working with these mysterious girls, though I have a feeling they are more demonic than their angelic appearance lets on. This trait would likely worsen with age, so it was ultimately better to have them working in my benefit than against me. My wit would not stand beside theirs, I did not think. Even now, they were possibly more clever than I. Another trait bound to grow with age.

Surema’s questions are well posed, and I have no doubt that she is excited by this endeavor. Spying would be a game for the pair, and that was fine. As long as I got what I needed, I was quite happy to allow them all the fun they could have during their excursions. “We will meet either in the wilds or in the outskirts of this territory under the cover of night, unless you can craft a way to easily slip into my borders without being noted by outsiders. Find a stranger to send word to me if you need to speak with me, unless it is urgent.

Her second question is one more easily managed. “I am very suspicious of the Edge’s intentions. Mauja wears a cold, seemingly peaceful face, but there is something I do not trust.” My face takes on a more serious light than during our entire encounter. “Any information you can bring to me would be helpful.

You may come and go as you wish.
""

[ OOC: Yes. :D Those sound good. Plus, I don't have specific targets in mind right now, but I'll just pm you if I do. ]

Unregistered

We glance with secrets in our eyes as the Resolute speaks of sending strangers to her. A grin slips on our lips but its more on our eyes than our faces. We lean in together, melting, merging, uniting. We are ready to play.

"A phrase," Olema begins, casual in tone as Surema slips in right after me with similar indifference. We have used phrases before. All part of the game. "So that you know it's us."

We glance at each other. Blue meets blue and we nod. "Listen for the words nightingale and angel. They'll be used near each other in speech. If you hear the word sing, the information is important and a more private location is necessary. If you hear the word fly, there is little to be told." We speak together, well versed in this particular combination of code.

"We'll begin at once." We turn without a second glance back and side by side, walk through the Throat. We definitely need to practice now.