the Rift

[PRIVATE] when you feel my heat, look into my eyes [Alysanne]

Miykael Posts: 136
Outcast
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 11 :: Birdsong
Eliana :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Rottie
NOTE :: he is outside the sanctuary. ;)

"Aly? Aly! Where are you?" he calls, his words only masked with fear and concern. The reality is that there is nothing but malice behind them - a malice that the normal Miykael never would have felt, not for this particular mare. But he isn't himself. He had been sprayed by the germs of the infected and those germs slipped inside of him and multiplied. The darkness had flourished within him once it had taken hold but even infected as he was only Alysanne consumed his thoughts. She had left him; abandoned him there in the Edge and why? To save her own hide? She had never been one to be so concerned with her own wellbeing. That is, until he was the one that needed saving. Miykael had needed her then and she ran.

All at once the anger surges through his veins, causing his frail looking form to shake. 'Good,' he thought, 'it will only add to the image.' Miykael had decidedly changed. The golden tones, rich browns and blacks, the pure whites and clear blues had all been replaced by dingy grey tones. His bulk had been reduced down to little more than skin and bones, his wings were dingy and the feathers were rotting and molting. The most striking outer change, though, is his eyes. Not long ago they had been a vivid, beautiful sky blue filled with only the softest and most pure emotions. Now they are milky, clouded, and lifeless. The pupils are gone from them, adding a touch of creepy to the whole image. His once thick mane and tail are thin and stringy - a tangled, ugly mess. There was nothing kind about him anymore, nothing left of the selfless pegasus that Alysanne had deemed her best friend.

Miykael had followed Alysanne's scent to the area known as Helovia's Heart. From there he followed it to the area near the large, hidden hole - but the hole repelled him, he had no desire to venture any closer. It is here, circling around the hole but keeping at least thirty feet between him and the entrance. "ALY!" he yells, finding it more and more difficult to keep up the ruse. He needed her to come to him, to put herself out in the open and stop hiding like a cowardly mouse down in the hole. "Please!" he begs, and in a last ditch effort with his voice laced in pain and fear, "please... help me!" Then he falls silent, his wings folded loosely at his sides and a trail of dirty, rotting feathers behind him. He continued to pace, his patience wearing thin, but he had a feeling she would come. She wasn't that heartless, was she?

DON'T GET TOO CLOSE; IT'S DARK INSIDE
lines by tamme, colored/altered by sarah <3
[Image: mikey_by_moonstone_designs-d9dgnba.png]
icon base: Bronzehalo :: from Nickel <3

permission for all except death and dismemberment.
** please tag miykael in replies **
replies slow? check here for status updates.

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
When the day is blue, I'll sit around wondering about you

What she had been doing and where she might have been heading slipped from her mind as soon as she heard it. Mikey’s voice. At first she thought it was a trick – it had been happening to her since she got down here. With so many others taking refuge in the caves, she thought she heard Mikey, Kahlua and Sasha a thousand times. Even Aurelia once, in the voice she used to have before..

It wasn’t until she heard it again that she knew that this time she was not imagining things. This time it was real. “Mikey?!” His voice echoed down into the caverns below, calling from the surface. Something about it made her skin crawl but she banished those thoughts as soon as they crossed her mind. Maybe he was all right after all! Hope came so naturally to her – it flooded through her as a bright smile lit up those emerald eyes. She could do this, her mind flew ahead of her to tomorrow where everyone would be back and safe, where they would wake and find that they had been tested and everything was sunny once more.

Hope was so easy. So much easier than sadness, which clung to her as unnaturally as if she was wearing someone else’s skin. She was built for happier times.

Even though there had been clear pain and fear in his voice, it didn’t matter in those first moments. He was there and anything else they could deal with.

With some difficulty she managed to race up the slope that led back to the world, or what was left of it, but as soon as she spotted him she stumbled and skidded to a halt just on the lip of the entrance to the caverns below. “Oh no Mikey.” came the whisper, her smile shattering as she looked at what was left of her dearest friend in the entire world. Sharp bones pushed against his skin and there was nothing of the colour and brightness that she knew and loved so well. First Aurelia, now him. There had to be something she could do. She wanted to go to him, to comfort him, but she could not will her legs to move more than a shaky step.

She had to be careful, she knew. She may not have anyone relying on her but she refused to waste Resplendence’s warnings, not again. Not when the last time she had tried to take a stand had resulted in… this. “I’m... I'm so sorry.” Still she could not make her voice go any louder as she trembled. He had leapt in front of them, he had wanted her to leave, but that knowledge did not make the fact that she had any easier to bear.

They had run, they had left him. It was her fault, always her fault.

But even though he looked different, he was still her friend – wasn’t he? Those emerald eyes glossed over as the tears already threatened to come. It wouldn’t be the first time today, though she usually made sure she was alone before giving in. But the caverns often echoed with the crying of at least one other in the darkness. So much was lost – she didn’t even understand how much.

Though she had wished for Sasha often, selfishly, to comfort her – she was happy he was gone, that he and his brother had been spared from whatever this was.

Her mind so often went to that black, absent stallion. But there was another that demanded her attention now. Words came pouring out of her of their own accord; “Are you... What can I do?” Her leg lifted as though she was going to take another step forward but she couldn’t. “We’ll find a way to heal you, I promise. I can find someone to help.” There had to be someone.

Come back to me, my darling
original html by rottie
picture credit
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Outcast

She didn't leave him hanging for long. Predictable. Always predictable. As she emerged, or rather planted herself in the opening that repelled his very existence, he moved to stand across from her. His steps are jerky and uneven but quick; his unusually skinny legs carrying him there in a short amount of time. Miykael keeps up his frail image: quivering where he stands, hanging his head low with the edges of his wings draped weakly on the dead grasses surrounding him. He looked damaged, melancholic even, but he did not allow his milky eyes to move from her face and her bright emerald eyes. The beast that once was Miykael was playing it up, grasping for her sympathy the way a child seeks for attention and approval. He longed for her - for her touch but also for her pain. All at once conflicted and torn.

"There you are, my sweet..." he murmurs, soft enough that she likely wouldn't hear. For all she knew, he stood there in silence. Quivering, but silent. The darkness and shadows surround him, drifting and curling like smoke around his legs. But he doesn't pay it any notice. Instead his focus is entirely, and without doubt, on her. Alysanne; dear, sweet Alysanne - she is the only light in the darkness. She is the sun and he is the oft overlooked shadow, disappearing into the background since day one. Miykael had rescued her time and time again, but none of that mattered now. The best she could do was take a small, shaky step toward him. He would have run to her, were the roles reversed. He would have embraced her, intent on never letting her go, as though he could will the sickness from her body and into his. HE would have tried, regardless of the potential consequences. Maybe it is simply a foolish notion, an illogical request but it solidified in his infected mind that he was more dedicated to her than she was to him. He had placed her on a pedestal higher than the heavens and she had simply used him.

Her apology, soft and barely audible, stung his heart and burned his mind. Though it was likely genuine, and were he his normal self he would know it to be true, his infected brain writhed in discomfort. "No." the single word is harsh, forceful and laced with anger and pain. "Don't...don't lie to me." his voice is softer now but his words are just as heavy. The beast trembling from the sudden surge of hatred never once allowed his milky, lifeless gaze to waver from her eyes - the emeralds that he once daydreamed about with a fondness only a lover could possess. The distance between them prevented the wraith from seeing the tears forming in her eyes but even if he could see it - would he even care? The real, uninfected Miykael would care, of course, but he didn't exist right now.

Alysanne spoke again, desperately trying to figure out a way to fix it but that only proved to aggravate the beast more. Her words are meaningless to him, he had more important things to discuss. "SHUT UP!" he shouts, the violence erupting from him; loud and heated, seeking to strike into her like lightning. "Just... shut up." he fidgets then, shifting his weight around but never really leaving his spot. Moving any closer would have caused him sincere discomfort, after all, so he avoided it vehemently. "I love you... Aly. I would die for you." and here he pauses, laughing suddenly - a sick, twisted, disbelieving laugh. "Wait.. I've already done that." he grins, menacingly, revealing the mouthful of sharp teeth he now possessed. "I've... saved you, healed you, been there for you whenever you needed me and yet... you chose him." his eyes, though cold and lifeless, still managed to glare at her across the empty space between them.

He fell quiet then, if only for a brief moment. The beast turned slightly to take a few steps to his right, dragging his wings carelessly on the ground. More feathers fall to the ground in his wake. "But where is he now?" he taunts her, grinning like the devil he had become. "He's left you, hasn't he? Left you... the way you left me." His infected mind has made him more chatty than normal, it seems, and brutally honest.

That shaking, pitiful movement he used weakened her, if there was any strength left in her pathetic body. But it was those eyes, those deadened eyes, that stayed her now as she whispered apologies and questions. Plans speeding through her mind as she tried to come to terms with what she was seeing.

Surely she was wrapped in some terrible nightmare?

But no, not even the darkest of her subconscious thoughts could dig this up. The shock of his shout left her speechless, shocking the tears from her eyes as she took a step back so that one hoof rested on the slope that led back down into the caverns. In all the time that she had known Miykael, he had never raised his voice to anyone – and never spoken with such malice. In all the time she knew him, she had never truly believed he might be a demon as he actually was in Nocturne.

Not until now.

She worried that someone might hear his shouts, that they would come to investigate and attack him, but then more words came from him – that voice that was had none of his usual softness and warm was striking at her again. And she was confused, so confused. “Mikey you know I love you.” Because of course she did. Not even now did she realize that maybe he meant it differently than she did, in the casual way she used the term for him. She adored him, the great sunny stallion that had healed her when she had fallen down – who cared for her the way she had only been cared for by her family. And that was what he was to her. “You’re my family.”

Unable to find words, she just shook her head – fighting back the tears as he mentioned how he had died for her. No, he wasn’t dead, she could not believe that. He was here, in front of her, but this wasn’t her Mikey. That pointed smile made her shiver. That was the smile of a predator, not her guardian angel. “I never asked you to…” To jump in front of them, to come after her – to uproot his life for her. That had never been what she wanted – and her joy at seeing him here in Helovia felt like a thorn twisting into her heart. He had a family and where he was now was all her fault. She had never wanted this.

And then worse than the shouting were the venomous words being spat at her, as though everything nice he had done for her was some how her fault – because she had another mate? The truth of the words about Sasha hurt, but it was nothing she hadn’t agonized over on her own. “What… he didn’t… he’ll be back.” She knew it sounded stubborn and ridiculous in her meek voice but she believed it so wholeheartedly. At some point they would be together again and the time they spent apart wouldn’t matter. She would happily wait for the rest of her life with the promise of seeing him one more time.

Her confusion over what was being said was plain, a delicate frown in the eyes that followed him as he moved to the side. “I didn’t mean to leave you. Or choose him…” When had it been a choice? She had fallen, and fallen hard, for Sasha. But she’d be lying if she said having a choice would change anything. The love she felt for the two stallions was so different right from the beginning, as different as they were from each other. Didn’t he know that? “Mikey what are you saying? This isn’t you. Please. Come inside and we’ll find someone, maybe Resplendence will know what to do.” Her hopeful voice repeating her pleads from moments ago as she took another step, logic screaming at her to stay where she was. Funny how that little internal warning didn’t even sound like her own, but instead like the healer’s soft voice.

But of course she couldn’t just stay still, because he was right. She did leave him and that would never happen again.

original html by rottie
picture credit
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Outcast

Her pain was exceedingly evident but with the darkness infecting his mind and consuming his soul - Miykael didn't care. She deserved it, didn't she? She had left him, after all. She had used him. Rationality meant nothing now. Any amount of truth in her words would fall on deaf ears; he would hear only what he expected of her at that moment. The beast only expected her to come up with meaningless excuses, to try and justify her position and turn the blame onto him. It wasn't her fault, oh no, she was a perfect little angel.

And he is a demon.

The moment she says I love you, however, the beast can only scoff and laugh condescendingly at her. "You really are oblivious, aren't you?" he hisses, using his words as a weapon hoping to sting and maim her. "Not that kind of love, Aly. It's deeper than that." and the beast stares deeply into her innocent green eyes. "Like the way you love him." and he intentionally leaves off any mention of Sasha's love for her; knowing it would be a sensitive subject, that the fact that he hadn't included it would stab her in the heart.

Alysanne shakes her head then, obviously fighting back the tears, and once again attempts to plead with him but her words only manage to anger him more. "YOU DIDN'T NEED TO ASK ME!" the maddened growl erupts from him without so much as a thought. It cuts through the silence of the abandoned surface of Helovia and echoes into the caverns below where all the cowards had fled. In truth, the infection in his mind prevented him from thinking of any potential consequences. The odds were high that they had heard him and the odds were equally as high that they stood poised to attack just below the surface, waiting for Aly's word or signal that it was time. The beast didn't have the capacity to think of such things. In truth, he only held the capacity and desire to mentally destroy her.

Her meek attempts to counter his arguments about Sasha only made him laugh; but again his laugh is harsh, venomous even. "No. He won't." and there is a heavy seriousness to his words. "And deep in your heart you know it's true. He will always follow his brother; always love his brother more than you." The moment it seems as though the darkness was starting to dissipate, the beast speaks once more, "You are nothing to him." he practically snarls. Despite the emotions swirling and running rampant, his eyes remain their dead, milky hue. They show nothing, except for the death within his heart and soul.

The beast took little to no notice of the few small steps she began to take towards him, took no notice of her confusion. Instead he paced, keeping a comfortable distance between himself and the dreaded hole. There was something about that hole that screamed at him, that repulsed him the way that light causes cockroaches to scatter. Alysanne's suggestion for him to go inside and seek out help made him stop in his tracks. His eyes searched her face once again. "I can't." he states simply. "I can't go with you...I cannot go down there." he emphasizes with a slightly shaky voice - gone is the anger, no matter how temporary - and the mere thought of going into the hole with her is twisting his very being, pounding on his skull and blurring his vision.

Before the panic could fully set in, however, he shook his head - his thin and stringy mane clinging to his neck and forehead. He paused a moment, as if to regain his nightmare image, before proceeding. "Oh Aly... there is so much that you don't remember." his face contorts then into something menacing - he is a predator again, seeking to harm her. "It's all my doing, of course. I blocked out some of your memories but it seems to have backfired a bit...it seems to have blocked out more than I intended." the beast flashes a toothy grin here. "You were attacked back in Nocturne...by a fellow demon. He beat you and planted nightmares in your mind." and here he pauses, smirking lightly to himself in approval at the idea. "Your sister came to me. She begged me to fix your brain. She couldn't bear to hear you screaming anymore." his pointed grin and devilish laugh drift across the land in the same fashion that the darkness had spread over the entirety of Helovia. "I messed with your mind, princess..." he hisses. Now he waits, longing to see the pain upon her face. The same depth of pain he had felt watching her run away, abandoning him to his fate. His judgment had been clouded even then, the infection already altering events in his mind.

That condescending laugh, the sting in his voice, this was not the Miykael she knew. Whatever the infection was, it had twisted him. There was no way this could be what he was truly like, this was not really him. Maybe what he was saying wasn’t even true, that he loved her? Her voice was pained when she finally found it “Mikey… I…” but what could she even say? She didn’t love him, not like that. He had been her best friend these past few years, always there for her. Had it been with ulterior motives? No, she would not believe that.

Her eyes wide as he yelled at her, heart wrenching. It was too much. The accusations about Sasha, his proclamation of love, she didn’t want to deal with this. She didn’t want this to be her life. And it was all her fault. If she had only paid more attention could they have dealt with it sooner, more calmly.

She knew her attempt at arguing was weak – it had never been something she was good at. It had never been something she had to do before. “No. Stop it.” She had been through this already and she had conquered it. This demon was only trying to hurt her. She never wanted to be loved more than Kostya, how could she ever expect that? That would be horrible of her. There would be no one that she could love more than her own twin, and she knew that the dark brothers were closer than any siblings she had ever known. They were extensions of each other, so similar and so different – to see one without the other still seemed strange to her.

She was not nothing to him. But she would not argue the point any further, not give in to whatever was before her, trying to make her doubt what.

When his voice turned shaky, telling her that he could not go down to where they were all staying safe, Alysanne felt hope. He didn’t seem angry anymore, maybe she could convince him yet.

But then he regained his face, those once beautiful features contorting into something terrible as he spoke again. At first, she didn’t realize what he was saying, but as he continued she let loose a gasp – emerald eyes widening to show the whites as the information sunk in. Everything else that he had spewed so far just faded away as she was slapped with this reality. Not only that she had been attacked – but that he had gone into her mind, that he had changed things, altered her past. Altered who she was as a result.

Violated was not a strong enough word for what she felt.

She didn’t want to believe it, perhaps this ghastly creature was spinning lies the way it had about Sasha. “You… did… what?” The words come between gasps as she wrestled with this new information. Could her world ever stay put for more than a moment?

And the worst part was that it made sense. “My scars…” She remembered being wounded, remembered Sasha’s face as she had stumbled towards him – bloody and torn and confessing her pregnancy. Remembered how he had tried so hard to heal her before they both passed out (remembered realizing he loved her then). She remembered how she had met Mikey not long after that, the cute little otter who was so careful with her as he healed away those wounds.

But she remembered nothing else. She tried to remember actually being attacked but her mind slid off of the memory. There was just nothing there. The spinning feeling made her feel nauseous. She had thought it was another animal, a cougar picking on her in her vulnerable state. It made sense. But a demon. Was that the true reason why her twin had those nightmares? They hadn’t spent a lot of time together after that… Was this why? So that Iona could protect her?

“How could you?” Her voice was so small, maybe she was giving in. There were things that would be wonderful to forget, she knew - this entire experience, for one - but she would never choose to actually go through with something like that. And to have that choice taken away from her?

She felt winded and she could not get the spinning in her mind to stop. She knew what she had to do then, hesitating for a moment as she wondered whether she would just be betraying him more.

No, it wasn’t betrayal. Nothing seemed like betrayal compared to how she felt in those moments. Whatever he had done to her, he still needed her help. But she needed some help too. So while keeping an eye on him, she raised her voice. “SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! ONE OF THEM IS HERE!” She could not get him to the healing waters herself, even if she was feeling particularly strong.

original html by rottie
picture credit

okay this thread is now open for anyone up for helping to wrestle Miykael and get him to the healing waters and/or heal him!
made by the lovely tamme

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks
The girl floats as a shadow through the world, alone and empty as her injuries mend. Still a wraith on a narrow frame, the cuts are scabbing and the limping less; she hides her struggle behind hard black eyes, drifting aimlessly through the winding halls. She has been here for a mere count of days- or is it eons? She cannot tell. What she knows is that time trickles endlessly here, in the underground cage where she finds herself trapped. It teases and taunts and lies to her face, and no passage of sun or shift in the air can confirm or deny the deceit of the Gods.

In this twice-frozen moment the girl waits, alone, and in waiting grows restless, angry and sad. Beaten by exhaustion she yet struggles to sleep, for the darkness brings only the glare of their faces, Lace and Natraj and their bravery and her fear. The stone brought by Kali burns bright in her mane, nested among the braids that the gryphon has fixed, re-tied and re-bound in a semblance of beauty; but even its light is not enough to drive away her fear, merely hold it at bay, a shadow that lurks in the corner of her eye. The gifts of her mother are a comfort in the dark, but they cannot assuage her guilt, merely deepen her distress.

So when Kali departs back into the night and the girl is left with Fajira as guide, disease settles heavy in the base of her throat, and the girl grows restless in her anxious disquiet. The little white dragon reminds her of her sins; not with words or accusations, but with her eyes, her shape, the whispered memory of a a fox and a man who gave up themselves as sacrifices to the night. Every glance at the dragon jolts the copper filly's heart, sending it plummeting back down to her hooves, reminding her bitterly of shortcomings and fear. It furthers her restlessness, sets her teeth on edge. It angers her, saddens her, and makes her need to run.

So when Fajira's asleep and the girl awake, she slips away into the labyrinth of the caves, drawn to the scent of the ashy, overground air. Bobbing and weaving, a beacon underground, she flits on the edges of the surface of the earth, debating the ascent back into the dark. In the time that has past her desire has grown, the need and want and burning guilt, and though she does not know it, the seeds of heroism have been planted in her heart; she wants to leave, to rescue the others. She wants to save Lace. She needs to save Natraj. But she is afraid, so afraid, afraid of the dark and the night and the demons that lurk. What good can she do, the little lost flame, against a tidal wave of shadow- what light can she shed? What difference can she make?

---- HELP ME!

She runs. On spindly legs she leaps to action, the fear cast off by a primal need, a medieval instinct to be a hero, an angel, a knight. Scrambling up the crumbling slope, the girl stumbles, staggers, falls; but as the phoenix rises again, at last to breach the world's lip. They aren't far from safety, the fallen cherubs, one afraid and one... wrong. Wrong, so broken, he brings her up short, the quenched alarm bubbling up against her shining shield. Uninvited, the filly balks, and for a moment her youth and innocence are betrayed. Miniscule, wraith-like, what good is she against the beast? She hovers behind the painted mare, the one who called, and fights the urge to cry.

“I can help-” the girl begins, feeling the magic of Lena beneath her skin. But how? Can she even heal this? Anxious, flighty, she side-steps once and keeps her eyes on the demon, trying to make her voice big. “What- what should I do?” Black gaze keeps the stallion caught, flicking once to the painted mare as the girl seeks guidance, seeks fuel for her courage.

[ @[Miykael], @[Alysanne] ]

THE FIREDANCER
for it was I who walked among the falling stars, and did not burn
credit | credit

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Afraid of what sort of retribution her actions would cause from this ghost of her friend, her heart hammered in her heart as she waited – hoping that someone might have heard her, hoping to hear the sound of someone else approaching. She didn’t know what else to say, her mind still spinning with the information she was given – truthful or not, that sickening feeling would not go away.

Hope was all she had – and this time she was rewarded.

There was not a single hint of disappointment in her eyes when she turned to see who was coming up the slope and she saw a skinny little youth. After all, no one else had come when she called – how could she possibly discount this chestnut girl? To know what awaited on the surface and to still come, well – that was incredibly brave. And if she had magic: her heart and her courage were what was needed, not her physical strength.

Her expression softened under that pain. “Thank you.” She whispered first, longing to wrap the girl up in a great hug simply for appearing. But there was no time. How terrible the feeling of being weak, of being unable to do anything on her own! She knew there were healing waters now, they had been mentioned at the meeting with the other healers. But how could she possibly wrestle him down there on her own?

Maybe there was another way. Soft emerald eyes slip from the girl to Miykael and then back, shining with the tears she was fighting back. “Can... can you heal him?” Her voice is low still, hopeful that their audience won’t overhear her. He might fly off – and then what? She could chase him down, try to aggravate him enough to give her chase. She did not imagine that would be too difficult in his current state, everything she said seemed to put him on edge.

Her attention refocused on the girl, always wary of where Miykael was in case he advances or retreats – she needed him to stay in the vicinity but there was no telling whether he would play along now that her attention was shifted. “He’s my best friend. If you can help at all…” Well, her gratitude wasn’t really something that she could put into words. As conflicted as she felt about their friendship given the information he had spewed at her, they were still friends – at least until she determined whether it was true or not. “I will distract him.” She promised, realizing that by asking her to help – she might unwillingly put the girl in danger. So perhaps there was a way to absorb any penalties herself. It would be far worth it, to see Miykael healed and the girl off safe after being brave enough to show up.

But maybe she was getting ahead of herself – she didn’t even know for sure how this girl could help.

original html by rottie
picture credit

[@[Tandavi], Miykael. Rottie gave me the okay to post ahead of her :)]
made by the lovely tamme