the Rift

Chandeliers

Farenjer Posts: 68
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hands :: 5 Buff: NOVICE
Loulou

Farenjer            
</style>

Farenjer had arrived within the caverns with the remaining basiners with a pleasing hope to find shelter. But something about this place, how the air was moist and smooth, how shadowed corners sometimes would whisper into his ears, led him to believe that everyday he spent within the caverns was a place he was kept prisoner. Something about it seemed magical, enchanting, while the other was eerie silence. The unicorn hoped to find the enchanting things of his new shelter as the Sun arisen into the sky.

Slowly he tread forward, pacing towards the glowing room where soft timber swelled and toad stools bloomed on their roots and shade. He couldn't help but find a satisfaction with tasting the bitter stools as they blossomed among their fellow plant life. As he tasted the soft, yet chewy taste of mushroom in the corner of the room, a glowing light caught within his eye. He lifted his head as he swallowed the bitter aftertaste and perked his ears up. Icy blue eyes gazing through the shadows and towards where glow encircled the framework of a doorway. A curiosity suddenly slipping into his mind. I've never seen that entrance before? What is that glow? Where will it lead? Suddenly the anxiousness tugged at his feet and he began edging closer to it. Scenting the air of any mysterious fumes, but found nothing. He then pulled himself through the opened gap of the glowing room and looked beyond at the jaw gaping sight.

Thick crystals lit everywhere, radiating beautiful beaming light. They came from every direction from the walls and ceiling. It was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. Something he could not withdraw his eyes from. Breaking the pregnant silence, his hooves echoed off the radiant floor, casting echoes along the minerals. He began looking around, casting glances back at the doorway, eying the jewel work and its structures. It was unbelievable how real this could be. How incredible it was to be in such a hidden room that you could only hear from stories. Farenjer just wished maybe he could share his wondrous feelings with someone else for a change.

(quick, sorry my muse is a little out of it. Open for anybody btw)

testingspeaking

[Image: farenjer_by_foxyfirewings-d6t57ac.png]

Mermaid Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2hh :: 9 Years Buff: NOVICE
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

The blackness had to end somewhere and indeed it did. I do not know how long I wandered in that pit but eventually I came around to another tunnel… a different tunnel than the one I entered from. I miss the sun and the moon, their absence makes it terribly hard to judge the passage of time. I have not encountered the horror of the plague but I am told that it exists and despite the wisdom of my years I am a generally gullible soul. So I stay where it is safe however uncomfortable that safety may be.

All at once it is brilliantly bright around me and this change from pitch black to dazzling glow is blinding. Blinking against a sudden headache I force my eyes to focus among the many reflective surfaces of this crystal breeding ground. One tall, clear spire draws my attention and I find myself gazing at my own reflection. The only reaction I can muster as I scrutinize that thin, waif like appearance is to think that I am growing old and am very much alone. Sighing dejectedly I turn away from this bothersome reminder and try not to look too closely at any of the other Mermaids gazing balefully back at me.

Despite this one negative it is a beautiful cave, certainly with more to recommend it than the pit… however homey that lovely sand might have felt. Soon enough I discover a second negative point. This place is a labyrinth of passages and side passages that snake their way around the crystalline growths. I am fairly confident that I could find my way back to where I came from but I am not exactly dying to see that pit again anytime soon. Oh well, I’ve been lost before and in worse places than this… I think.

Rounding a bend in my most recent chosen path I find that another reflection has taken over the crystal surfaces up ahead. It is earthen tones highlighted in turquoise and this interests me right up until it turns its head and I can see the glowing blue-green eyes. The color reminds me of the sea, it draws me in and at the same time terrifies me almost as much as being underground… what natural, safe creature could have such eyes? Maybe these caves are less of a sanctuary than I’ve been lead to believe. Gulping down my fear I begin to back up very, very slowly. I am desperately hoping, right up until my hind hoof sends a pebble skittering into the crystal wall, that I have not been seen. With that hope shattered by the clink of rock on “glass” I freeze…

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
[Image: 52ebd2e176c2b]
[Image: 525f791c057b6]HP: 60/60
"she came from the sea..."
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
Tagging preferences: tag away! | Contact Preferences: PM please!
(Am I being sluggish?  Check my status HERE)
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Hidden Account
Loulou

Maneuvering a tall structure throughout the crystal walls, he turns his head to stare at a reflection of himself. A lean, underweight structure stares back with ghostly, ice like eyes. A small, inquiring frown tumbling over his lips as he continued casting a gaze to the mirror, as if he were staring straight through his own reflection. It felt good to not feel this smoldering despair inside for what he appeared to be, like a icy dagger piercing his heart. Yet, like a faint whisper, the smallest shadow of his soul, there would always be this disgust of what stared back into a mirror. Rather a scar from the past, and one that did not only carry the hurtful emotions, but the memories that held negativity at its strongest. Painful memories of despise, hatred, a hungry look in those unicorns who thought he should die alone because he was born. "No... I must not think about this....." A innocent whisper escaped his breath as the raining thoughts faded, and I silent prayer was fulfilled as he escaped those harsh emotions so easily. The stallion sighed and began to turn his head, but as he did, his ears twitched, and he froze in place.

The smallest clink echoed the throughout crystal chamber. His head twisting around to the direction of its direct sound, icy blue eyes snapping upon a mare. Raking over every little part of her as she was frozen in place. Her coat was a blanket of pale grey, and her mane and tail woven with seaweed and sea shells that he would only find by the cold shore by his home in the North. His eyes moving upon where her forehead was, looking over with surprise as she carried no horn high upon her head. An equine. He then looked upon the shock in her face, and a utter surprise flooded him. Does she look.... scared? Of me? Memories flashed throughout his mind as he read her expression, his eyes widening with a sudden pain. His lip quivered and he softly inquired "Why... Why do you hate me? Do you think I am a monster?" His tone filled with grief as he sensed her fear. He had not seen these 'wraiths' yet, but he knew they were something to have nightmares about for seasons, hearing the stories that bounced across these stone walls from others. This got him thinking, what if for once, if he stepped from the shadowed areas, would these refugees recognize him as a wraith? .... A m-monster? The stallion gave a heavy sigh and folded his ears back, staring at the sea-like mare with clouded eyes.

Art- Kaydeniro || Coding- Time

Hidden Account
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

I stand frozen in place knowing that it is too late to run and waiting for the moment when I will be seen. Those eyes find me and somewhere in the back of my mind I register that only one of them is really that hypnotizing blue color. This thought has not yet made it to the surface through my fear though. I remain stalk still, in thrall to the power of that gaze. Then he snaps me out of it with a voice that is so laced by pain and sadness I would not turn my back on it even if I could.

“ Why... Why do you hate me?”

Hate? I have never hated anyone except maybe the lout of a raider who killed Deagor but I never even met that brute so hating him doesn’t really seem fair.

“I don’t hate you…”

I blink then breaking free of my odd trance and cast my own gaze to the ground that I might avoid being caught in the odd reflection of his one blue eye again. As I do this I catch sight of his smooth, unbroken, relatively healthy hide and the long, glowing blue horn. A sigh of relief escapes me as I realize that he truly is no wraith. He is just another unicorn, no more of a monster than Elsiyum or Lena… or so my levelheaded reasoning tells me. Of course this does not mean he isn’t dangerous but I suspect that if he meant me harm I would already be suffering said harm by now, I’ve certainly stood here vulnerable to it for long enough.

“No, you are not a monster. There are no monsters in the caves…”

My tone suggests I am still trying to convince myself as much as I am him. Turning my head to the side I wrinkle my nose up at the shimmery wall beside me. Thankfully I am too close now to really focus on the images it is flashing back at me and so am not as profoundly affected as I was before.

”I was simply confused with all the odd stories I keep hearing and the disorienting reflections from this crystal stuff. I am very new to these lands and I must say this business of living underground isn’t sitting well with me.”

I tilt my face up then attempting to look calm though I still avoid meeting his eyes. Rather than continue my hasty retreat I step trustingly forward and reach my muzzle out in invitation.

“Please forgive my rudeness sir, I am Mermaid… what may I call you?”

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Hidden Account
Loulou

“I don’t hate you…” His tail brushed the reflective floor as he listened silently. The mare suddenly threw her gaze away from his and to the glass floor. Can she not continue to look at me? Look at my face? Icy orbs casted a glance to the side to see lightning bolts scarring his cheek, crookedly reaching out with every glowing tendril across his long, thin face. Swiftly his gaze swept away and back upon the grey mare. “No, you are not a monster. There are no monsters in the caves…” His folded ears rotated forward as he keenly gazed at her with peculiar interest. Suddenly, he began to speak, his tone morbid "I wouldn't be so sure about that miss... there is people who have and can do much harm among the crowd here in the Sanctuary, those are true monsters." He shook his head in brief disbelief "I believe that the ones you would be referring as the 'monster' are only but the blind fumbling with a poison in their grasp. Their sightless actions carry the burden of them tossing this poison onto others, making them just as blunt..." His voice carried off as he paused, watching and listening to her as she continued to speak.

As the quiet sire he was, he passively listened and nodded often at her words. A curious glance falling onto his eyes as she continued “Please forgive my rudeness sir, I am Mermaid… what may I call you?” He then spoke briefly "My name is Farenjer, I come from the North and the Aurora Basin is where I call home... Or use to at least." He sighed sadly at the thought of the snowy valley. Wondering if the mare felt any home sickness as much as he did, or at least to see the beautiful blue sky once more. He could only picture his beautiful, peaceful homelands covered in untouched, thin layer of frost. The hot springs bubbling and giving off thin tendrils of steam. Hollowed entrances crowding among the foots of the mountains, once the several dens of horned equines. So very deserted and empty the Basin could be in his own world. It made him shudder thinking about such things.

Hidden Account
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

He does not move to accept my physical offer of proper greeting but he does not seem offended either only deeply sad. His next words are harsh and cynical but what else can be expected of one who has seen this happen to his world. I do not agree with everything he says but I take his point. After all I suffered more injury at the hands of disease, marauding raiders among my own kind and angry Gods than I ever have from “monsters”. Still, ever the philosophical one I must add my own take on it.

“True, there will always be those among us who might do us harm without care or remorse given the right set of circumstances but I do not believe that such as they are really monsters. There is something good in even them, somewhere buried deep.”

All this talk of “monsters” makes me think of Elsiyum perhaps the two of them should meet, they certainly both depressed enough. He isn’t a bad looking fellow really, rather striking in truth if I do not let that bottomless blue orb or an eye capture me. He is young though, too young for me I think but surely not for my friend… have we become a match maker now Mermaid?

“Indeed sir, I did mean that madness that is carrying on above us and I am sorry for mistakenly thinking you a part of it. I suppose it is a disease more than anything… sickness is always the worst enemy.”

The name he gives seems to suit him and I nod in acknowledgement of the exchange.

“The Aurora Basin… I have met one from there, and I’ve a friend who might have joined it given the chance. Mayhap I should claim residence there as well being as I keep stumbling into its people.”

I chuckle softly at that not meaning it seriously.

“I’ve no home in these lands myself. I’m from another world, in fact I think another planet, entirely. I did know home in that world, twice in fact but I’ve no hope of ever returning to either of them.”

In one case because of ghosts and in another because of that angry God. He seems worried when he speaks of his home and I suppose he should be who knows what might be happening to his comrades who may not have made down to this cave system.

“It is good to love one’s home Farenjer, perhaps you might be lucky enough to return to yours in the near future.”

I glance at him out of the corner of my eye then still avoiding his direct gaze but trying not to be painfully obvious about it.

“What brings you here to this maze alone?”

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Hidden Account
Loulou
The stallion remained silent as she spoke out with her own opinion on this dark hour. Watching her intently with an icy blue gaze, but she continued to not hold a grasp upon his eyes. He listened to her thoughts about the Basin, speaking of how she has met several unicorns from the snowy valley. A silent chuckle echoed in his mind as he listened to her say sarcastically "Mayhap I should claim residence there as well being as I keep stumbling into its people.” and he thought "Your lucky enough to have met friendly Basiners."

“It is good to love one’s home Farenjer, perhaps you might be lucky enough to return to yours in the near future.” The mare said. He briefly nodded and sighed "I yearn to be back in my basin. It is like a stab to my heart whenever I think of it, and to be honest with you, this is the first time in a long while I've been outside of my herdlands." She finally glanced at him through the corner of her eyes. Yet in a split second the mare turns away, a delicate frown falls over the stallion's face as he notices her actions. “What brings you here to this maze alone?” She inquires. He blinks and speaks softly "Maze? This is a maze? I have only entered this crystal area from just around that corner..." He pulls his head over to where he had entered the crystal area. From the corner he could see the opening to the glowing room, a soft tree just in sight. Slowly, he tugs his head back from over his shoulder looking upon the mare yet again. "Why? Were you looking for the exit?" How long had she been here, wandering around? Perhaps she would eagerly rush out pass him to the glowing room, where fresh food and water was. Grateful to finally find an excuse to get away from him, because truly Farenjer could tell this equine did not like him. Nor appreciated his appearance. He would have little shock if she did leave now, avoiding something she had never quite seen before. After all, she did mistake him for an infected creature... Yet even now as they had developed a conversation, she did everything in her path to avoid eye contact with him. Was she still scared of him? A sigh escaped his lips as he pondered within his thoughts. Why does this always happen to me?

Hidden Account
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

He listens patiently to my views on “monsters” and my ridiculous speculations on Basin residence. He does not offer his own opinions on either matter and while my comment about joining the Basin myself had been little more than a joke I find that I am truly curious to know more about the place. Perhaps I might learn it from him…

The next words out of his mouth are deeply saddening to me and I step nearer reaching out to him in an attempt to brush my muzzle reassuringly against his chest. It is contact that may or may not be allowed and I might not have attempted had I thought about it first, but I am not embarrassed about the action either.

“I do truly hope that you, and every other displaced refuge in these caves, are able to see home again soon Farenjer.”

It would really be a tragedy for so many to lose what they love all at once. Even with all that I’ve seen and experienced in my life I can not believe that the world… that the Gods, if this land has any, would be so totally and completely cruel. To an individual yes, but to an entire population? No, I can not fathom it.

Now he becomes mildly distracted by my comment about the maze. Apparently he hasn’t been deep enough into this confusing labyrinth to realize it’s nature.

“Yes, it most certainly is and a very disorienting one at that. I do not like it. In fact before I found you I thought I might just be doomed to wander in it alone for the rest of my life!”

A little over dramatic but this place really has been eating at my normal calm even more than I realized. Then the stallion turns his head to indicate the path behind him and I let out a gasp of undisguised glee. There really is another way out and I am only strides away from it! For a moment, and a moment only, I want to rush past him into that warm glowing light and forget about this glittery Hell entirely. Even on my worst day I can not be that rude though and I am enjoying our conversation.

“Well, I guess I’ve nothing to worry about after all...”

Again I forget my fear allowing my gaze to wander up and fall on his face and again I pull my eyes away this time putting my own face fully against the wall beside me.

“Sorry, I can’t do it… it’s your eyes… eye… the color… it reminds me of ghosts.”

A shiver runs through me at the last word, I’ve seen more than my share of them lately and my sleep has suffered for it. It is a stupid connection to be making, he is nothing like a ghost, but it is there and I am unable to break free of it.

“Maybe if you turn your head a little?”

My voice is hopeful now though I suppose I’ve no right to hope any such thing. After all, what am I but a random stranger who barged in on his solitude and mistook him for a monster?

The silence stretches and when at last I gather the courage to look at the place where he'd been standing I can no longer see him. Astonished and terrified I move without even thinking, beating a quick retreat down the now open crystal corridor into the blue-green glow beyond.

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
HELOVIA HARD MODE